Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• meyerlevinmeyerlevin Member Posts: 15
    Concerning the review of the Malibu Sedan/Maxx.You stated that some of the problems you noted on the Maxx don't seem to exist on the sedan. You stated that it could have been a problem with the specific Maxx you were given to drive. Well,why don't you drive another Maxx and see how that car compares to the last Maxx you drove and also to the sedan you drove. Then you can make a reasonable assessment before turning people off to their consideration of purchasing the Maxx. I drove one and personally think it's great.
  • glennt1glennt1 Member Posts: 2
    I have only had mine about 2 months but have had none of the problems mentioned in the Edmunds review. I have the LT with the in-dash CD changer. I bought it because the adjustable pedals and T&T steering wheel allow my short wife to drive it & also because I can put my bicycle in the back w/o even taking the front wheel off. I find it to be a very nice, quiet & comfortable car and at the price I paid-$19,500- a fantastic bargain.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    Glenn,

welcome to the forum.....keep us all update on your Maxx...good or bad....I think most of us are pleased with the Maxx to date...with some minor problems......we all hate the sun shades on the rear skylight!!!!
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Is that the loaded one, with a list of approx $25,600? I got mine early April for 24,000. At the time they were offering a $1000 rebate but I opted for the 0 financing for three years, figuring that was worth forgoing the rebate and I didn't want to use my line of credit at the time.

Got them to throw in satellite radio and 5 free oil changes. Are the rebates really now up to $4000 like I have heard?

Up over 10,000 miles now and I absolutely love the vehicle. Still, in all of my travels I have only seen three other Maxx's. Probably move of the regular Malibus, but I don't pay much atention to them.
  • madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    I've had my Light Driftwood MAXX for a month and I love it. I bought it because I have young teenagers and wanted something roomy inside. When my children were small they fit nicely in my Cavaliers. The MAXX is perfect for long-legged passengers and a pleasure to drive. You could not find a better car, particularly if you want a hatchback. Plus I got huge savings on my 2004 basic LS model during the first week of July--there were two discount programs offered with my Smartbuy purchase. I highly recommend this car.
  • glennt1glennt1 Member Posts: 2
    The list price on my Malibu Maxx LT with the in-dash CD changer as the only option was $25,025. I received a $2000 dealer discount plus $3500 in rebates, so the price was actually $19525 which I rounded to $19,500.My Maxx is also the Light Driftwood & I think the interior is pretty attractive.
  • crv139crv139 Member Posts: 41
    The List price on my Maxx was $25,630 which included the sunroof, indash cd player,heated leather/laux seats,automatic climate control,auto head lights etc. I recieved a dealer discount of $2814.45 plus $4000 in rebates so I paid $18,815. I have the sivler green with the light interior. Great car for the price. The factory remote starter is very nice .
  • thinmanthinman Member Posts: 18
    Just read the AutoFile article in this weeks AutoWeek. Very complimentary! But as usual they still pick on the engine.

Coming up on 5K miles and still no real compliants. We too have had the s### scared out of us when the sunshades in the back SLAMMED open. But the only reason I had them closed to begin with was because streetlights shining through back there cast reflections that I found distracting at night.

We only test drove a Maxx. The wife saw it, sat in it and said, "This is it. I want this car." Has anyone also test drove a sedan? How do the two compare? Just curious.
  • meyerlevinmeyerlevin Member Posts: 15
    I test drove the sedan and Maxx. They both drove the same way;real solid and secure. The V-6 is the same in both cars,very peppy. I don't know what the Edmunds reviewer was criticising in the Maxx. I responded to that critique but not yet read a reply on this site.One thing that I'm not so thrilled with is the electric steering,because I like to have more of a road feel.The steering is incredibly light.This is not a fault but rather just my opinion.
    reference the rear shades....if you havent signed up on mygmlink.com...pls do and complain about them shades....it appears it will have to be a re-engineering issue..but GM should make a fix to an obviously poor design feature...several of us have done it already..if the collective voice gets loud enough we might get some action
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    When my Maxx was at a GM "customer forum", the interior engineers worked over the rear skylight trim to try and reinforce it to prevent the plastic from rattling and the shades from popping out of the restraint. The rear trim is definitely cheapo compared to the front (the hatch trim squeaked like mad until I yanked it off and coated the fasteners with fiberglass tape).

Other than that, 8000 miles and the car is still very pleasant to drive in. Its suspension seems to have more travel than most - bumps that grounded my former Saturn ION are no trouble for the Maxx. The engine has a lot of low end grunt making it really easy to bark the tires, but kinda runs out of steam near the redline. Seats could be wider and the lumbar support comes and goes with temperature. But it's quiet, handles and rides well, and is easily the best car I have owned (over older hondas and camrys too).

Now if only I could have waited until the sales events.... the most rebate I got was around $1000 (back in February when the car first came out) but at least it sold for close to Invoice (it's the LS - couldn't get the LT in Driftwood; that color stays quite cool in the California summer!)
  • icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    We just picked up our Black LS last night. We traded in a 2002 Isuzu Axiom for the Maxx. I liked the Isuzu, but it had some wet weather traction issues and it only got about 13.5 mpg. I am hoping for better on both fronts from the Maxx.

I read a lot of posts here before buying...thanks for the good info. The only two noticeable things on my vehicle, from a possible problem standpoint, are those window screen latches (as described earlier) and it takes a good thump to close the hatch correctly (described earlier too).

There seem to be a LOT of positives...nice ride, strong engine, decent fuel economy (if I get 19-20 mpg I'll be happy - anything better than 13!), lots of room, cool real skylights...etc..

I bought a low end LS and we are having a sun/moon roof installed later this week. I plan on buying and installing my own rear seat DVD for the kids...

So far, it's a great car (based on 12 hours of ownership and a few test drives)...

I have owned mostly foreign cars over the past 10 years (started with an 89 Beretta and then to an Accord, CRV, Axiom and now this). I think Chevy/GM has a winner with this car.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I know...I should have gotten my act together during July when they had the $4000 rebate, but with vacations and being insanely busy at work...

Anyway, does anybody think they'll have anything similar in the way of incentives to get rid of the last of the o4s? My local dealers still seem well stocked with them.
  • nymaxxnymaxx Member Posts: 30
    Hello,

I picked up a new Maxx LS last week and now have 500 miles on it. These miles have all been city miles with the air conditioning on "high". So far the trip computer is saying 13 MPG avg fuel economy. Now the traffic hasn't been that bad and I haven't pushed the car that hard. Am wondering if something is wrong.

Am also wondering what other Maxx owners have experienced during break-in.

Thank You for your post.
    I've got 300 miles on my MAXX LS--also mostly city driving with a little on the parkways (NY & LI)--I've had the AC on of course, but not full blast. I'm getting a little under 16 MPG.
    I got about 16-18 in the city with the AC running in pretty heavy traffic here in the DC area and 28-30, as high as 32 on the highway...I find the trip computer to be off 1-2 MPG in its calculation as compared to my own. so take that into account. I noticed no particular break in period to be honest for gas mileage on my MAXX LT purchased in Mar...now with 6900 miles on it.....
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I have 1700 miles on my '04 LS Maxx and recorded (by hand) the following mileage since I bought it in June (23, 22, 20, 20). All driving is "city" suburban driving with the AC on. Funny that my mileage is going in the wrong direction. I did change the oil after 1000 miles, and will switch over to synthetic at 5,000. Yes, 13 does sound a bit too low to me....sorry. But remember, if you are in the hills of NY, that is a lot different than the flat areas of northern VA.
    I have had Maxx LT since early April and now approaching 11,000 miles. I always calculate gas mileage by hand (must have a "phobia" have could tell you every gallon of gas I have put in every car I have ever owned for the last 20 years. So when I say what my average miles per gallon are, I know for sure!

First of all, I have never averaged less than 23.5 miles per gallon. And that was only one time when I did little highway driving. I put on 800 miles after having the car two days and, on that first trip (obviously all highway miles) averaged 27 and 29 mpg. Since that time, on mostly highway miles have averaged between 26 and 31 mpg.

The trip computer always shows a higher mpg (and I have complained to the dealer with little success) Usually by 1.5 to 2 miles per gallon higher than actual. Also, a related complaint is that it shows the same numbers all the time, ie 26.1, than 26.7 than 27.4, 30.2, 30.9, etc., never anything in between
    Also, and I realize this is not very important. the "t" on the trunk, next to the "1" fell off. Dealer will replace it.

I have noticed, and I hope this is not an omen on things to come that the car, even though only a few months old and 10,000 miles is not taking the bumps in the road as well as it did when it was new. Maybe my imagination, but I don't think so. Surely in 10,000 miles the shocks should not have worn out that much!

Other minor complaint is that the low fuel light goes on too early. I have had it go off when I could only squeeze (and I squeeze every ounce of gas in each time I fill--so I can determine accurate gas mileage) when I could only put in a little over 13 gallons. Supposed to be a 16.1 gallon tank and once I actually put that much in. Must have been running on fumes!

Otherwise, very pleased with the car (except that I paid 24k with 0 financing for LT listing at
    $25,600 in early April & could have bought the same car last week for a little less than 20k. The 0 financing would not have cost me 4 thousand. Anyone know what the rebates are now for August?
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I'm sort of answering my own question from a previous post: They just announced a new Summerdrive program. $3500 rebate on Maxx and $3000 on Malibu sedan. There's also supposed to be some kind of bonus cash if you're financing, although I didn't study that because I plan to pay cash.

IOW, they cut $500 off the previous (July) rebates in exchange for the financing deal.
  • triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    "I squeeze every ounce of gas in each time I fill..."

Are you saying that you fill up beyond when the gas pump automatically kicks off? This isn't my area of expertise, but I thought doing that caused extra stress on the fuel pump. I'm sure somebody here is more knowledgeable on this than I am and can attest to that.

Remember that when calculating gas mileage manually, that you are relying on the accuracy of the pump.

Also, for those that aren't getting accurate readings from the car's readout, are you remembering to reset the average after fillup? That could possibly be skewing the mpg average.

I really don't know what the computer uses to calculate mpg. Is it possible that when the engine is idling that it is somehow still doing calculations?
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    Like occking I have a record of mileage / repairs for my cars for years. I calculate the mileage on the MAXX manually and there is always a difference of about 1.5+ miles per gallon. The computer is always higher. I fill to shutoff. I also calculate the mileage on my wifes 2001 Bonneville. The mileage is always within .2 of the computer and is dead on 50% of the time.

The bottom line is that I am getting great mileage for the mix of driving that I do. The mileage does take a hit when it is hot. I remote start and let the interior cool off before we go get in. I did not do that in the cold weather to heat the interior.
    Skyhawk, Sounds like we have similar stories about trip computer gas mileage vs actual. Have you noticed that the numbers for average mpg always repeat themselves. Always..... 30.2 than 30.9, 32.4, etc. I have the book in my car and the numbers are always the same. On the average, probably 1.5 over actual. I am used to much more accurate trip computers (how can you compare a Lexus RX 300 or Acura MDX which I have owned to a Chevy) But, even the Buick RVD I had for a year had a much more accurate trip computer. Maybe I am a little spoiled but I like those things to be accurate.
  • cadellcadell Member Posts: 10
    Have had my Maxx two months now. Love the car. Paid close attention to all the posts here in this forum.

The car has 2900 miles on it right now. Getting about 19 MPG in mostly city driving. Like others, its on board computer is off by as much as 2 MPG. Got as much as 30 MPG on the only trip I took.

The LS listed for $23,500. Asked the dealer to match another dealers add, Which they did. The rebate and the discount totaled $5600. They also took $2200 on my GM card. In fact they also took a $500.00 coupon for a GM Auto Show In Motion! They gave me $750 for my old clunker that was not worth a penny as well. All in all, I knocked about $9000 off the price of the car with out paying a penny out of my pocket. But I did purchase the extended warranty simply because this was a first year model. I felt I need to cover my rear on that one count.

Impressed with the car. Plenty of power. Can fit my long legs in this small car by pulling out the steering column so they can slide under easier. This why I have this car rather than a Camry or Accord. Handles very well as well.

What I do not like: The cloth seats are a little hard. Takes some getting use to. There is also a pretty big blind spot. Other than that it's so far so good.
  • jim_in_ohiojim_in_ohio Member Posts: 21
    We now have about 5500 miles on our Maxx LT. Driving back and forth to work (24 miles mixed highway/back road/city), I average 25-26 according to the trip computer. On a long highway trip, the average is 33-34. I have recorded mileage and gallons at each fillup but have not done the math yet to arrive at average mileage over an extended period.

It's easy to "game" the computer to get artificially high or low readings. It seems to work by summing up miles and gallons after the last reset and computing a new mpg every few minutes. Like others I have noticed that the readings occur in discrete steps. If you want an artificially high reading, accelerate to highway speed, then at the top of the next hill hit reset and take your foot off the gas. I've seen as high as 50 MPG playing this game. Conversely, if you hit reset and then drive around the parking lot for awhile, you'll see about 5 MPG.

I think the main value of the trip computer is in what it tells you about how your driving style affects mileage. You'll notice that high mileage requires gentle acceleration and minimal use of the brakes. It also favors a high cruising speed. Jackrabbit starts and abrupt stops will really bring it down. Pay attention; it's your gas money.
    I originally reported 13 mpg and was worried that something might be defective. I tried resetting the trip computer then driving very gently. My mileage improved significantly. I drove about 80 miles today and got 23 mpg. The car now has 650 miles on it and I expect it to continue to improve. I do envision 30 mpg on a long trip.
    while I was at the dealer this morning having a mirror replaced under warranty, wandered the back lot.....9 Maxxs on the lot..with one being an 05 Maxx LT...had the spoiler and the rear window wiper....otherwise identical to the 04 it was parked beside....the spoiler adds a distinctive line to the roof, which I like, the hatch didnt look any different so I would assume you could put the OEM spoiler on an 04 Maxx....the rear window wiper I didnt particularily car for...bulky, uses a great deal of clear window space since the motor is mounted to the window and a very big wiper arm..larger than is used on the front windshield...I have found that at normal driving speeds above 30 MPH or so..the rear window stays clear of rain anyway...so didnt see a need for the wiper....my two cents...7K on the Maxx and still very happy with it.....BTW had the mirror replaced on the drivers side as it was fading and hazing over..service manager said no problem....
  • drbob1drbob1 Member Posts: 3
    Really like our Maxx, good power, mileage, safety, brakes, comfort BUT I live at the end of a very winding but good quality road. I'd really like the Maxx to handle curves and acceleration/deceleration more gracefully. Don't mind some loss of cushiness in the ride. I've upgraded shocks on some vehicles, but these don't feel soft. Wonder if bushings, sway bars, tires or what would be the best investment? I haven't seen any packages out there (suspension techniques, KYB etc) for this car. Anyone tried any upgrades? We have 10,000 trouble free miles so far.
    The cruise control is the best I've ever used. I especially like the dashboard light with the Euro cruise icon, which goes on and off with the assist. My European car (A4) has a similar light but it says the English word "Cruise" oddly enough.

I'd like to add what a great paint job Fairfax did. The medium gray is stunning, it sparkles in the sun. I haven't found a single defect, and the paint is smooth with no orange peeling.

The ride continues to astonish me, it is well balanced between comfort and responsiveness. This car was supposed to be my everyday driver, but now I'll be using it for road trips as well.

Last the stereo. When I picked up the car I was disappointed but apparently the stereo has a break-in period as well. The radio itself doesn't sound hot, but CD's sound wonderful with the EQ set flat. (mine is the single-disc CD model with no satellite option).
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    The rear wiper was added in order to allow the spoiler option. If you added the OEM spoiler to a vehicle without the rear wiper you would "see" why ;)
  • tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    I read a bunch of messages earlier from people concerned that their initial gas mileage wasn't what they were hoping for. I had similar concerns, but I've found that as my 04 LT breaks in, the average mileage rises. I've been doing similar driving the whole time I've had the car, and I originally was getting around 18-19mpg, but now I average 23-24. My car has about 2400 miles on it at this point. So, if your car has a few hundred miles on it and gas mileage isn't what you hoped for, don't get too upset yet! I've also noticed that the motor feels a lot stronger, and the transmission shifts a lot smoother now as well. Very happy with my Malibu!
  • rferdrferd Member Posts: 28
    I purchased my MAXX on July for about $20K although, I am sure I could have got it for less.

As for gas mileage, I drive 50 miles everyday on highway 1 between Trenton and New Brunswick, NJ so I consider this highway but with frequent stops. My gas mileage has been in between 23 and 26 mpg. I took my wife to Philadelphia and reset the computer when I left Phily (all highway at ~ 60 mph) and got 32.

I am a conservative driver who likes to see that number on the high side, so I drive conservatively, no jack starts and take my foot of the accelerator as I approach a light. So, I do not know If I would be considered an "average" driver.

Well, so much for my two cents worth.

Enjoy the forum.
    it would figure that you need a new engineering fix after you add a spoiler on the back..for appearances.......
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    LOL

You are right :)
    When I visited a Maxx clinic, the technicians told me the spoiler was a '05 marketing decision. Its addition caused the window to soil faster, so they had to add the wiper to correct for the spoiler. I've not see the '05 yet.

Clinic also said SS version is for '05 - big wheels/low prof tires, lower to ground, body flairs, supercharged engine, tuned exhaust, etc.. A Chevy Red Line, I guess.

The 2004 I have with 8K miles is slowly improving its mileage - mixed travel in hot LA with AC on is around 23 mph. Car continues to ride well and is staying together (may be one new rattle under instrument panel - otherwise pretty tight). The big tires will howl if you try to turn hard. Good freeway cruiser. Seat back Lumbar support comes and goes with the heat.

One nice thing about driftwood and tan interior: it takes a week for the windows to fog up from the hot LA sun (by comparison, my Red Geo Prism with black interior would fog its windows in a DAY).
    Kurt,

thanks for the info.....figured the window soiled with the addition of the spoiler...when it stays clear now....wonders of an airstream....one would think they would engineer one that didnt do that...An SS version may add additional interest to this small but growing segment...I would be interested in the lower profile tires and a 17 inch rim on the car for sure....
  • icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    My 2 cents...

We bought a 2004 Malibu Maxx and so far we love it. It has a very smooth, quiet ride and good power while getting respectable gas mileage. Having owned mostly foreign cars since my original car (an 89 Beretta, which I loved but it fell apart), I seriously doubted I would ever own another Chevy. The Maxx changed my mind and is something you should definitely test drive.

Between the Jetta and the Maxx, I think you will probably find the Jetta handles better (sportier) but he Maxx has a smoother ride. The Maxx has more interior passenger room, the Jetta more cargo area.

I always wanted a Jetta, but I read reports about engine problems with VWs (Jetta and Passat in the 2000-2003 model years) and that combined with relatively high price tags influenced me to stay away from them. I also read that Jetta is due for a re-design...2005 or 2006 maybe (see below)? So if I had bought a Jetta, I would probably have bought a used one (there seem to be a lot of them around here...)

I guess you could say that I took a little bit of a risk with the Malibu Maxx, but at 6K off of sticker (including 4K from GM and 2K from the dealer - bought it last month) and considering some of VWs recent mechanical woes, I figured it was worth it.

BTW Here's what I saw about future Jetta models:
    -------------------------------------------
    News VW regards the U.S. as just another of its many global markets. That's why the new-generation "Mark V" Golf, on sale in Europe for almost a year now, doesn't come here until early 2005. It debuts at this winter's L.A. Auto Show along with redesigned Jetta sedans and wagons.

Though VW hasn't announced final plans, the new Golf is expected to greet America as a sporty 2-dr GTI sold only with a new turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cyl engine boasting VW's FSI direct fuel injection and 200 hp. Mainstream 2-and 4-dr hatchbacks should show by next summer. Jetta, as the company's top U.S. seller, is likely to arrive with a choice of engines in GL and upscale GLS models. A sporty Jetta GLI should return at some point as a sort of 4-dr GTI. Both lineups will likely offer a base 150-hp non-turbo FSI 4-cyl and an improved 1.9 turbodiesel-4. All engines should be available with 6-speed manual transmission or a new 6-speed automatic option. V6 models are likely by '06 and may use a new 3.6-liter version of VW's narrow-angle engine in concert with a computer-controlled "clutchless" 6-speed manual. Look for a new hot-rod Golf R36 in that mix.

Golf or Jetta, the redesign brings more expressive styling and a slightly larger package. Wheelbase expands by 1.5 inches to 101.4. Golfs stretch 2.3 inches longer, an inch wider and 1.5 inches higher. Jettas will show similar gains. Passenger and cargo room should improve as a result. Cripser handling is implied a new multi-link independent rear suspension, replacing today's simple twist-beam axle. Other highlights include a switch from hydraulic to electric power steering and a claimed 80-percent increase in structural stiffness. All models will include 4-wheel ABS disc brakes, curtain side airbags and front torso side airbags. Uplevel versions should add VW's ESP antiskid/traction control. Navigation will be optional, and rear torso side airbags may join the list too. Most models will come on 15- or 16-inch wheels, with 17s available for the sportiest rides.

Further out, Europe gets a 4-seat Jetta-based convertible in 2005, which likely makes it a 2006 or '07 model for the U.S. Unlike previous Golf-based Cabrios, this one has a power hideaway hard top instead of a cloth roof, no ungainly "hoop" over the cockpit, and its own exterior look.
    The larger wheels were being considered for the SS 2005, but may hurt the ride as their unsprung mass is much higher than the 16" (unless engineering prevails and they use forged wheels, which cost a lot).

Wrt Jetta, would be nice to see their quality get improved. As of today via most surveys VW's near the quality cellar, while Chevy is at least average and in one survey third in this regard.
    I just got off the phone with WeatherTech. They now have the rear window shields in stock and have a four window package available for $89.95 plus $9.00 S/H. The front set alone is $49.95 and the rear set alone is $40.00. Plus $9.00 S/H for each set. Save $9.00 by ordering the full four window package. Now here is the kicker. The rears are in stock but now the fronts are back ordered till about the 25th of this month! Grrrrrrr!!!! Something about them being made in Germany and having problems with Customs. And after three weeks of heat index warnings of over 105 we sure could use those now!
    Further updates as they become available! *L*
    here is the website for all interested

http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsearch.asp?make_id=11&yea- r_no=2004&veh_id=1148&item_group_id=4&veh_opt_choice_- id=0

I have the complete set installed.....quick and easy installation....you can see them on the Mxx website I have up...just have the fronts installed in the pictures..need to update

http://home.att.net/~p.oswald

take a look here if you like to see them as well as the bene vento sunroof wind deflector
  • robs_placerobs_place Member Posts: 24
    Anyone want to share surprise features while driving the Maxx? Here's one:

If you forget to turn off the turn signal while changing lanes for example, the turn signal will chime until you turn it off. Scared the Sh*t off my wife when this happened.

ps. My wife would not let me drive the Maxx yet.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    The flashing security light after you turn it off.
    I've had a couple of customers complain of this light. It looks like a car with a padlock on it, in the center of the instrument panel. It comes on about 1 minute after shutting car off and locking it. It's normal, just saying the security system is armed.
    the simple fact that I can turn off all the interior lights with the hatch up...we do a lot of tailgating for college football and all previous cars wouldnt allow me to do that....and a nice table in the rear with the 12V power supply......so tailgating here we come with the Maxx!!!
    "ps. My wife would not let me drive the Maxx yet."

Oh, Momma let's me drive it. She really doesn't like driving and prefers to be chauffeured. So when we go somewhere together I do the driving. But heaven forbid I forget to put the seat back in the right place, re-adjust the mirrors, re-set the shoulder belt height...etc! *L*

I just read the Car & Driver article on the Equinox and they described the driving experiance as 'Painless'. It just does about everything right. It struck me that is a good way to also describe this car. Totally painless! While it doesn't set any stand out standards as far as handling, acceleration, ride, comfort,...etc, it just does everything well.

Maybe it's the things that you don't notice that make it a great car. Things like no back ache after a few hours. No sore butt after a daily drive. Not having to raise your voice over the road noice. Catch my drift?

Hey! Chevy Ad Guys! You reading this? *L*
  • maxxlibertymaxxliberty Member Posts: 82
    We're in the midst of a big-wheel low-profile tire fad. Maybe whitewalls and fender skirts will come back!

In my experience, the 70 series tire is the best compromise for handling, ride and mileage. Big wheels don't supply any functionality I'm looking for - except when designed to house larger brakes.

When the tires are due for replacement on my '04 Maxx I plan to put Malibu 15" alloy wheels on it with P205/70R15 tires - probably Michelins.
    why not put them on 16 inch rims...since the LT..comes with OEM 16 alloys.....I looking at the bridgestones R series for replacements
  • maxxlibertymaxxliberty Member Posts: 82
    >why not put them on 16 inch rims...

No 70 series tires available that will fit the Maxx using 16 inch wheels.

Also: Low profile tires are treacherous in snow.

More: It's kind of strange - this Maxx is a 1980 Citation (original owner) replacement for me - the 2.8 engine recently blew, and I wanted a hatch. The Citation's original wheels were 13s, which were too small and offered limited tire replacements, and now the Maxx has 16s - with, for me, limited tire choices. I replaced the Citation's 13s with later model Citation X11 14s, and will be replacing the Maxx's 16s with 15s.
    The MAXX is ideal for a passenger (like your wife) who prefers to be chauffeured. I took some friends for a drive in my new MAXX on Sunday, and my rear-seat passenger said "I feel just like I'm riding in a limo!"
    You've got the right car!
    Oh Im aware of the 70 series tires in the snow..had a mustang GT that was traded on the Maxx that had 70 series on 17 inch rims...that with all season performance tires..still couldnt do snow at all..here in the DC area...my only concern with downsizing the rim...is diameter of the tire itself....and speedometer, trip computer, mileage..etc variances that might might be effected....is that an issue???