Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    My buddy who lives in west Toronto just bought one and he said the dealer told him they are not selling that well with them. I have not seen many in Ontario, maybe 1 every 2 weeks at best. Maybe Canadians don't like hatch backs.

;-)

BTW.. They love the car.
    Anyone know what Maxx sales are for the year or does GM not break down sedan/Maxx sales?
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    You will see my Maxx on Ontario late next week. Got some business to do out there and I may stop into sky dome & see the Yankees beat the Blue Jays, in a tune up match prior to winning playoffs and world series. I went by a few Chevy dealers in Montreal earlier this week & did not see any Maxx's at all in the lot. Maybe they just aren't pushing them to Canadian Dealers.
  • oldcorvettefanoldcorvettefan Member Posts: 17
    As far as I know, GM only provides the combined sales for the Maxx and the Sedan. You can find this information around the beginning of each month by looking under the press release section of the gm.com web site.

Steven
  • oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    Here on Long Island I'm starting to see Maxxes with regularity. It's funny, but it seems that the only time I see them is whem I'm driving my Jeep Liberty... I've given the Maxx to my wife as she's well under 5' tall and the seat-tilt/telescoping wheel-adjustable pedals make for a very comfortable driving position for her. Still love the car - when I get to drive it!
  • opalblueopalblue Member Posts: 4
    I got my Maxx three weeks ago, and so far so good. The only problem is the plastic panel next to the driver's right foot won't stay clipped shut, but I will attend to that when I take it in for the free 3,000 mile oil change. Build date was 1/04 (which I didn't find until after I bought it). Not that it would have made a difference. My choices were this one, a silver green LT with XM, which was exactly what I wanted, and a silver LT with everything but the DVD, which was a bit more than I wanted equipment- and pricewise.
         I have seen two others on the road in the Birmingham, AL, area: a gray and and white. I wanted green because I like the brown and neutral interior better, and because the color reminds me of a 1985 Light Sage Metallic T-Bird I had, which reminded me of the Willow Green 1967 Impala SS coupe my mother inherited from an elderly cousin in the '70s.
         When my brother-in-law first saw my car, he asked, "What is that? A Saab?"
         I've been very happy with the mileage, averaging 25, 26, and 28 mpg in my first 1000 miles (my calculations), with obviously a bias toward highway driving. But that was a very typical three weeks for me, so I'm pleased.
         Love the XM radio.
    The Jays have just kept falling down hill since the World Series wins in 92/93. Sad state of affairs. Even worse they keep raising tick prices on a looser team. Yankees will be a big draw but 1/2 of the fans will probably be up from NY state.

My buddy with the Maxx lives about 15 minutes from the Skydome, maybe you will see him

;-)
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Well, my Maxx once again was adored by one and all....unfortunately, this time it was a deer that tried to jump in for a test drive. He must have told his buddy how much he liked my car, because when I turned around to go home to file a claim, another deer darted in front of me trying to finish me off (but missed). My hood, lights, and grill are gone. The front of my car smells like a deer (since half of his fur and hoof prints are on my license plate). I'd check for engine damage, but I cannot open the hood. I don't think there is however. The car drove the 4 hours back to Virginia without a problem.
    This was my first long trip in my Maxx. I got 30 mpg on hilly, zig zag, deer infested and littered West Virginia bi-ways. My only complaint with the car is something I knew would be the case: with the electric steering, there is no slop factor, so it is easy to drift into other lanes if you are not careful. Well, that's 2 deer strikes in less than a year, and I live to drive another day.
  • madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    Glad you survived the deer collision. Could have been a bigger mess it was.
    I took another long drive across New Jersey yesterday--didn't see any other MAXX on the road, but I experimented with the cruise control. It's not something I use much, but I wanted to give it a try. Worked very well. Like many of us, I keep discovering little features that are there for our comfort and convenience. It's a treat.
  • wombat1wombat1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2004 malibu maxx august 19. Absolutely love it. White LT with tinted windows and gold lettering and it drives like a dream. No problems yet and don't expect any. I live in the middle of Nebraska and have only seen one other one since I bought mine. I traded a loaded Jimmy for this and have no regrets. Am waiting for winter driving to see how that goes. Live in the country on dirt roads so I am wondering about that but i will worry about that then. Thanks for all the imformation you all have shared. Have enjoyed all the messages.
  • kris10kris10 Member Posts: 21
    Anyone have a Maxx with this in it? Do these seats get dirty easily? Are they easy to clean? How well do you think they will hold up say, over 5 years?

Thanks!
    Kristen
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    Jim,

sorry to hear about another maxx in an accident...fo repairs..I highly recommend Koons Collision Center..that is where mine is...look them up at the koons website....nice facility, very professional...glad you are ok!
    kristen,

I have the same seats...had the car almost 9 months now and dont notice any dirt...just me driving the car..so not kids climbing in or out..and no food inside...so cant speak for that side..if you treat the fabric, scotchguard etc...it will help....treat the faux leather....with the appropriate cleaners and treatments and they should fine..I had leather in mustang for 5 plus years with no problems..and the ultralux..seems to be a better material to feel touch and wear so far in my vehicle...just my two cents
    thanks Paul. I'm heading over this morning to have it checked out. I seem to be competing with all the hurricane claims this morning......imagine that!
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I have the ultalux, my wife was eating ice cream and a small piece of chocolate dropped on the seat and was smurged into the seat. I read the care and cleaning instructions and did what was recommended. The stain was quickly removed and you can't tell where the stain was.
    imagine that..I had Pete as my adjustor...was very good and and professional.....say hi to my car while you are there!
  • smokeyjoe1053smokeyjoe1053 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all for your kind thoughts for the loss of our previous Maxx. Both my wife and myself are doing fine. I have had my new 2004 Maxx LT for 10 days now. We got a dk. navy blue one fully loaded with all the bells and whistles. My wife wanted to change colors from the Md Grey one that we had before. We took it for a little trip this weekend and avg gas mileage was 30 MPG and still don't even have 1000 miles yet. Got many compliments at rest stops and gas stations. Everyone loves the looks of this car.

Thanks again
  • szerfasszerfas Member Posts: 53
    Hi All, we got our new Malibu Maxx about 3 weeks ago. We traded in our 98 Malibu w/115K on the odometer only because the deals were too good to resist. We really like it a lot and feel that we got quite a bit of car for the money.

The car unfortunalty has been to the dealership twice. We had a problem with the gas gage not reading full when it was full, so they replaced the gas tank which had the older design float and sender unit. We also had an annoying squeak in tailgate which they still have not fixed right but I see from others here the solution apparently is pulling the trim off and coating the anchors. A bummer to have this many issues right out of the gate and dampens our spirits some on the car.

We are only at 500 miles so not many stories to tell. Most who have seen the car really like it, even those that admit in general they do not like Chevy's styling. The inside feels very spacious and the engine seems powerful but efficient. I agree with most others the numb steering needs some work.

The one thing that really bothers me I see in reviews is they comment how this is not the most powerful V6 in this class car. True, but they don't tend to point out that it is the most fuel efficient as well as one of the few does not require premium fuel. Those two things together translate into big $$$ savings over the life of the car. The car feels so powerful and revs well I don't feel a great deal more is needed in a front driver. Feels like more power then the numbers advertise.

Good luck to all with you Maxx's.
    Stephen
    Stephen, Good luck on your new Maxx! I have had mine now since April 6 (build date was Feb 04) and now over 15,000 miles. I believe I did the recall on the seat belt thing but, other than a minor complaint about trip computer indicating about 10% better mileage than actual (which, others on this board have commented on) and the "t" next to the "l" next to the "V6" fell off and was replaced.

I love the versatility of this vehicle. I have been rather "spoiled" during the past several years with the likes of RX300 and Accura MDX. Also had recently a Buick Rendezvous which I was not too thrilled with.

The rear seating/hatchback gives great flexibility for seating with room or for storage, much more so than the larger Impala. Gas mileage, as I have documented in several postings on highway is usually high twenties, on occasion as high as 33 for straight highway trips.

I don't mind the electronic power steering at all, and hove not noticed any of the transmission "howl" some have been complaining about. I did ask the dealer when I was last in about the steering problems I had been reading about & he was surprised a recall has not been done for that yet. I leave the rear shades open all the time so don't have a problem with them flying open & scaring me to death.
    Well, "E" rental gave me an Impala while my Maxx is in the shop. While I have only driven it 3 miles, I must say, I like the brakes and acceleration, and engine (no vibration) better than the Maxx. I can't stand the "regular" steering however. I also love the Maxx appointments much better. More later.
    occking, thanks. Those are some pretty impressive and high end vehicles you have owned. Must be quite a switch going from luxury SUV to a midsize hatchback sedan.

I have not noticed any howl from the transmission. We have only had one sunscreen snap open on us once but I have an idea about fixing that, maybe next oil change the dealership will have a TSB on it.

We also have a Z28 and a Grand Am. The Grand Am does not corner or accelerate nearly as well as this car does. The V6 in the Grand Am almost feels lethargic compared to this one, pretty funny since they are based on the same block but highly revised. The one thing I love in the Grand Am is the variable assist power steering. Of the large range of cars I have driven it is one of the best feeling and gives me a great sense of hard I am pushing things.

We have been happy with gas mileage but we are only on tank 2. I will have to check economy with the trip computer. I am sure ours will improve some as we get some real miles on it.

Thanks for the note.
    Stephen
    there is a TSB out on the sun shades...the dealer simply puts some reinforcing strips in the frame to make it sturdier...dont know if it works or not.....will have my done at the next service...
    I admit I have been spoiled with nice company cars over the years, far better than average. But, with my new job although I make a higher salary am responsible for many of the costs that my previous employer paid for, like the cost of the car and the operation of it. 99% of the the time I am by myself in the vehicle. More than enough room for all the clutter I carry around with me. Sure, I may miss tbe AWD come this winter and have no idea of the MAXX will perform in the snow. Last time I had a "normal" car was a new Infinity I30 in 98 and I managed fine with that vehicle. The MAXX is every bit as peppy off the line as the Accura MDX with the 225 horsses in 2001 and the 1999 Lexus RX I had. Certainly, much better gas mileage. But, will it hold up after 3 years 90000 miles?? That's why, on a new vehicle like this got the GM best plan 100,000 miles for 3 years. Wasn't cheap; I think it was around $1150. Let's see if it is needed.
    2004 silver Malibu Maxx LT 1SB w/gray leather for $17,500 including rebates ($5,000) but not including down payment and taxes, etc? I believe the car stickers in the high $25,000's.

I was also wondering how many people here have a Maxx but don't have children ( I know, silly question, but I'm just curious)?

Thanks!
    Kristen
  • townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    Hi everyone,
    I got my Maxx a few days ago and so far I really love it. It's Navy Blue with neutral interior. Also, it's a LT 1SA with the 6 disk changer. I bought it through CarsDirect.com and paid $18,010. -- $20,200 after tax and license. It looks like I could have gotten it a few hundred cheaper, but it was really, really easy going through CarsDirect. I only spent 30 minutes at the dealership picking it up! I have only seen two others in L.A., and none in my color. None of my friends or family buy American cars and so far they all seem impressed by it. Most people tend to think it is some kind of Subaru. I only have about 200 miles on it, but I must have started it and shut it off about 100 times showing off the remote start. I hope I don't wear it out. I'm looking forward to many happy years of Maxxing.
    2004 silver Malibu Maxx LT 1SB w/gray leather for $17,500 including rebates ($5,000) but not including down payment and taxes, etc? I believe the car stickers in the high $25,000's.

I was also wondering how many people here have a Maxx but don't have children ( I know, silly question, but I'm just curious)?

Thanks!
    Kristen
  • madmaxxmadmaxx Member Posts: 44
    No kids.
    I purchased my Maxx because of its versatility, power, quietness, smoothness, leg/interior room, and excellent fuel economy.
    MadMaxx
  • tricky73tricky73 Member Posts: 132
    I finally was able to talk with a Manager re the steering problem, and this person indicated her responsibility was only to make sure the repair was completed without incident...when pressed about other owners experiencing the same problem, she said her data base did not show such occurrences. Seemingly, this individual is numb to the safety implications. Wonder what their position would be if it happened to a vehicles in the Enterprise rental fleet? My sedan since the column replacement seems to work just fine...how about feedback from others who have had the transplant?
    Hi Kristen,

That sounds like a good deal. I look at invoice and decided from there. Invoice on that should be about 23,492 w/ destination. The rebates are better then we purchased if they are now 5000 (we got 4500). So that brings it down to 18,492. I am not sure if you have trade in there but sounds like got the car for $1000 under invoice. Sounds like a good deal. The one thing that really sweetened the deal for us was the GM Card rebate which they gave us a $500 bonus on our earnings, on a base Maxx (w/ remote start and floor mats) not including trade it was about 13,500 for the vehicle. That is just too good of a deal to walk away from.

We have no kids (but one dog). We got the Maxx over a sedan because we wanted something bigger for camping, and something with a big opening for hauling stuff. Fitting our window air conditioner into the backseat of the Grand Am was not pretty (did not fit in the trunk opening). :-) We drive friends and family plenty, I think they will enjoy the rear seat room. We were attracted by good gas mileage (compared to others), low price, previous Malibu experience, and what seemed to be a practical vehicle. We considered also the Mazda 6 and 3 wagons, and Subaru Impreza hatchback. All cost more, most offered less engine and got worse gas mileage.

occking, I think you will do fine with FWD in the winter. My Grand Am with the traction control has always gotten me where I need to go here in MA. I admit the AWD is better but I don't think critical. My biggest concern has always been stopping in snow/bad weather if I need to and in that case AWD will not make any difference. I think 90K will be no problem especially if you do those as highway miles. My brother always has GM company cars for ~130K in 3 years and the worst he had of the many was one that started to burn a little coolant near the 130K mark which means the intake gasket was going, fixable for about ~$500. In the GA and our old Malibu intake gaskets are the only serious problem, both needed intake gaskets replaced once. Unacceptable in my opinion but not serious enough to stop us from buying another GM at their current pricing. The Malibu we traded in made it to 115K and we only traded it because of the good deals, it was running perfectly at the time we traded it and have been very cheap to keep running and buy initially. I hope you have good luck with your Maxx.

Interseting on the acceleration you note with your other cars. Good to hear. Kind of funny my wife was very sad at giving up her last Malibu, she wanted it to be at least 150K+ car but the deal as you can see above was just too good and this helps us stagger car replacement since the GA is 5+ years old with 70K on it.

OK, enough rambling on by me. :-)
    Stephen
    This is Steven in Seekonk, MA. Where in MA are you. Raining heavy there now??? I've got to leave in a few minutes for Charlestown, wonder if the tunnel is flooded again in Boston.
  • michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    Ditto to Madmaxx comment, "No kids. I purchased my Maxx because of its versatility, power, quietness, smoothness, leg/interior room, and excellent fuel economy." I've already had the occasion to carry a six-foot step-ladder and an eight-foot extension ladder in my LT with all doors closed and still able to carry a passenger in the seat behind me. I would also add that I liked the probable superior handling versus an SUV-type vehicle (higher height) for normal and emergency driving situations. Welcome to the "club" of Maxx owners.
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    Hi Kristen,

My children are grown. I retired recently and wanted a car with room for all the stuff we travel with. I wanted to be able to easily load and unload. I was pleased with the amount of luggage, etc we packed without putting the seats down. The shelf allowed me to place items there, allowing me to easily take out the luggage below without having to move stuff around.

BTW my grandchildren love the extra windows in the roof. I don't worry about the seats. Grandchildren have a lot more leeway than children.
    My friend who bought a Maxx has no kids and never will. The wanted a vehicle with versatility that didn't look like a wagon and got good gas mileage. To be honest, I think another big draw was the On Star and remote start, he also loves gadgets.
    seems like a good price..got my Maxx LT...fully loaded less the heater block for 18500 out the door..in Feb 04.MSRP almost 27 as i recall now..and no kids here.just me and the better half
    Thanks for all the replies! I haven't gotten the car yet. The dealer said he would do his best to get it to $17,500 but when he called back he said he could only do $17,700 and he has been sticking to that for a couple of days now. I guess this is still a good deal? Hopefully by the time the weekend is over I'll have my new Maxx LT!

Kristen
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    It sounds like a pretty good deal, although I didn't price very many LTs. I was mainly interested in the LS w/1SB (which is what I got).

I have no kids, but I chose the Maxx for many of the same reasons others here have mentioned: Versatility, efficiency, interior space, comfort, power...plus the price advantage over the competition.

I just might note a bunch of problems at the five-week-old mark (some of which are apparently common):

1) Sunshades that won't stay closed
    2) Fuel gauge that doesn't read "full"
    3) Cruise control that requires you to mash the brake pedal down *hard* to disengage
    4) Creaking/squeaking sound from rear hatch area
    5) Check engine light that's been lit for the past few days

Although I like the design and performance of this car, I'm getting bad vibes already regarding it's quality and reliability.

Good luck to you...
    I have almost 16,000 miles now and have none of the problems you refer to. Sunshades popped open maybe one time but I leave them open all the time so that is not an issue. No squeaks, rattles, have not noticed anything different while disengaging cruise control from any other vehicle I have owned. Fuel guage always reads full when I fill it. Problem with guage is that the low fuel warning goes off when there is still as much as 2.5 to 3 gallons in the tank. This has happened several times. Anyone else have that problem?
    when the computer reads 45 - 50 miles to go
  • michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    Regarding the "low fuel warning" going off with a few gallons remaining in the tank; I have had the same experience with the past two GM vehicles I have had, however I believe it's intentional. The auto engineers have no way of knowing if the driver is near a gas station or out on a highway, freeway, or expressway and may have more than a few miles to go to reach the next fuel stop. Therefore, they have built in a "safety factor" to allow the driver to comfortably reach the fuel stop before running out. That's just my opinion, but it makes sense to me.
  • californiamaxxcaliforniamaxx Member Posts: 17
    2-3 gallons is the industry standard for the "low fuel warning" light to go off. As stated, this is to allow for the driver to reach a gas station if caught off guard. Some cars don't have a fuel warning system and this can be alarming if your not familiar with the system. I usually give myself a Maximum of 40 miles to reach a gas station once this light has went off. this has been the case for the last 5 vehicles I've owned. Hope this helps!
    well, I got my Maxx back today from the auto body shop. Stupid deer owes me a lot of money, that's all I can say!!
    As far as comparing the Impala to the Maxx: forget about it. The tranny in the Impala is weird; you feel that little downshift to first every time you come to a stop. I hate that lurch. My daughter even said that the Impala was smaller than "our regular car". Since she was getting in and out of the back, it points out how well designed the Maxx is. Surely the Impala is a bigger car; it sure drives like one.
    glad you got it back..who did the repairs?..mine is still in waiting on one part..the rear quarter window..they removed it to clear coat the both and noticed the seal was torn...probably did it removing teh window..anyway been in the shop a week now...hope to get it out next Weds....miss my maxx!!!
    sorry to hear about your problems...like occking...have had mine since Mar..2/04 build 9500 miles..and none of the problems you have mentioned...shades yes..but I leave them open anyway...the engine light is a concern....the cruise feels normal to me...had a ford that if the wind blew on the brake it would disengage...so I like a little more pressure to disengage..but I would call mine "hard"

hang in there and demand the work from teh dealership
    was wondering if there was any correlation between the problems Maxx owner experience...rattles, steering, etc...between the two models, which model has had more issues...seems there are more LSs on the road...so might be just a numbers game here....there shouldnt be...since same basic car...comments anyone..
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    In regards to the cruise issue it would be best to compare with another Malibu. You might be sensitive to this and just not like the way the vehicle is deisgned to work. The dealer does have the ability to "rezero" the brake pedal sensor pretty easily with his scan tool so they might try that but I it might just be you are sensitive to it which is why I suggest comparing to another Malibu
    yeah, when I used the cruise control the other day enroute to "the deer war zone", I had to tap the brake a bit harder than when I had my 626. It wasn't a real hard stomp; with the 626, merely waving my foot near the pedal turned it off (which explains your Ford comment pao, since the 626 was loaded with Ford parts).
    pao: USAA made me take it to Brown's Mazda (a lifetime guarantee repair facility). Since I still have at least 10 more years on my Maxx, I wanted that assurance.
    Also pao: is the rear shade fix something I can install myself? I don't have the problem since I leave the shades open, but if it is something simple, I'd like to look into it.
    well that is interesting..taking a chevy to a mazda collision place...assume they do all makes..i forgot...state farm in paying for mine...since it was the other parties fault..as for the shade fix..dunno..have had it done..was going to wait..not worth taking it in to the dealer for that alone..IMHO
  • madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    Hi Kristen. Congrats on your MAXX. I do have children--as I've mentioned in earlier posts I selected the MAXX because I wanted the room in the rear seat for my growing children (and friends). However, it has been a great car for me and I strongly recommend it on the basis of the what it ooffers the driver, not just the passengers. It's been a pleasure to own & drive.
  • maxxamummaxxamum Member Posts: 2
    Hello madmadam,

I fully concur about the spacious interior of the Maxx. We went out to dinner with friends last week and they said it felt like sitting in the back of a limo. The 3500 six is very responsive, the ride is smooth yet tight, and I got used to the electric steering quickly.
    At least at this point, I don't see myself
    "coming and going" all of the time. I am getting excellent gas mileage as well; already averaging
    25 mpg in the first 2500 miles. Mine is Navy Blue with a beige pinstripe and the Neutral Interior. Being on the road as a salesman, this car affords me the flexibility to carry lots of literature and equipment during the week but convert back to a family car on the weekends.
    With the latest rebate deal on a 2004 plus the GM supplier discount, I got mine for a steal.
    I would recommend this car to former Accord and Camry owners who are looking for more room and more features for a lower price. The remote start is a nice standard feature as well.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Thanks, e2helper. I appreciate your advice!

I have a service appointment next week. My dealer seems pretty concerned over the phone, so my initial impression of the service dept. is good. 'Hope they follow through.

Just to elaborate a bit on the cruise problem: I can actually rest my foot on the pedal and RIDE the brake without disengaging the cruise. In fact, today I noticed that while doing so the system was actually opening the throttle a bit...attempting to compensate for the drag of the brakes. STILL no disengage. I actually have to press the pedal down hard enough to feel the pads grabbing the disks before the thing will turn off. As I say, disconcerting at best. Alarming might be a better word. I've never experienced anything like it.

BTW, I test drove two other Maxxes and didn't notice this problem. Too bad I didn't spend more time test driving this one on expressways. :-(

I don't mean to beat up on this car, though. I *love* the responsiveness of the engine while merging with traffic and the electric steering feels great. Plus it's so quiet when cruising. And I dig that low, V-8-like growl when you open it up!
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Well your description sounds like the dealer should do what they call a Brake Pedal Position Sensor Relearn. Only takes a couple seconds using their scan tool.

Your experience with other Maxxes is good enough for me that your vehicle seems to require a little more travel than normal and that "rezeroing" the system should help. If you are willing to post back the last 6 digits of your VIN I can do a little more investigation ;)