Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    If you are driving in cold weather/snow the mileage will be much worse than us folks in S. Calif/Nevada.

My average for the Maxx is around 25 mph which includes half in-city and half freeway mix. The 32 mph was strictly freeway.

I'm not "lead footer" but do have to accelerate hard every so often to keep up with insane LA drivers.
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    My average speed 17 mh - according to computer.

I am not sure if I should trust it thou.
    way I calculate mileage is to keep track of gas I put in car over several hundred miles, then do computation. That helps minimize minor tank fill variations..."top off" can skew results by at least a gallon per tank fill.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    is based on the trip computer. Is this way off compared to what I will find when I top off the tank?
    Was kind of surprised to see such a generic model of Bridgestone. My Hyundai had Michelin Energies-- a very expensive and very terrible first line tire. Wore out in less than 40K and was replaced with some Uniroyal TigerPaw GT-H's from Wal-Mart that cost less than half, gave me greater tread wear, and better traction than the Energies. Hyundai used to put Kumho/Hankooks on as OEM tires and these were apparently far superior than the Michelins. Always thought they probably paid about $10 per tire and Michelin hoped that one would get destroyed or that the buyer would automatically replace at wear out time and give them the full profits from a six hundred dollar set of tires at that time.

The Elantra was softly sprung and not exactly a cutting edge performance machine. I always thought I was throwing money away in getting replacement H rated tires rather than a longer tread life replacement tire but once you have H's on a car, finding a dealer who will downgrade is difficult.

Am I right in assuming that any long life replacement tire (at any speed rating) will be perfectly OK with the 'Bu? Is there any advantage to getting an H rated tire on a non-sporting machine? Even Wal-Mart's Douglas (Kelly-Springfield) touring tire has an 80,000 mile warranty and a traction rating of A rather than B as on the OEM tires. I should probably go back through all the Maxx postings, I have noted the many complaints on the Bridgestones in the snow.
  • malibabemalibabe Member Posts: 12
    My Maxx was just involved in a collision accident. Feels terrible. Just 1868 miles on it. Sharing this information so all can benefit even though the heart is breaking.

The collison was light. The front driver side bumper grazed an oncoming car in a turn. No injury, no blame, no fault. Just plain bad luck on Monday morning 8.30 A.M. Insurance will cover most costs. The other car a '98 Toyota Camry drove off with some bumper damage. Lucky driver!

Preliminary estimates are that the front bumper, driver side dents and tire will need replacement. The frame does not seem to be damaged. The Chevy dealer who sold the car will be doing the body work and repairs. The damage could be anywhere from $2000 to $5000. Don't know yet. Will be driing a rental for a week or two. Will keep the board informed.

Please be extra careful and adjust to the difference in visibility between a sedan and a hatchback. I know it is less visibility on the maxx than the malibu sedan as other board members have stated here. Please take this advise and adjust your driving.

best to all.
    Sorry for the typos especially ....

Take this advice and adjust your driving.
  • limingliming Member Posts: 22
    I paid 15,2K for 2004 Maxx with 1SB option last August. I got 3,5K rebate and 1,5 K finance bonus.

I wander what is the current bonus and rebate if ppl purchase Maxx now.

There used to be a thread 'Maxx price paid'. Does it still exist?
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Sorry Malibabe. I'm glad you are OK. When the deer ran into my car, I felt like taking the Maxx off road to finish off the job. Since that "minor" collision, I have had a bald eagle swoop down and attack my car, and now last week in the middle of DC, a hawk dive bombed my car twice from atop a city light post. Must be the funny looking front that drives animals crazy. Good thing there aren't any bear in northern VA.

Anyway, I already have a chip or two on the repainted hood. There is no substitute for the factory paint. Anticipate problems there. I hope you get your car back quickly. One things for sure: once you drive the rental (any rental), you'll be longing for your Maxx back.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I have found the trip computer is 1.5 to 3.0 mpg off based on calculations based on mileage vs gallons at fill up......seems that is about average.....so the computer if off......some have said their service departments told them it was within tolerance levels for calculations with no corrections available
    it must be that silver paint that attracts those birds.....or the mean front end.....hope you are well..i have a chip or too in the factory paint in the front now..but hey...17400 and mostly highway and going strong...and I too admit...missed my maxx when it was repaired....dont have any problems with the paint...repair on my side damage.....when they did the repair..did they charge you for the clear coat application....my repair...was very evident for paint and clear coat application
    Bridgestones better than expected. It now appears that there is nothing that I had on my Elantra that is missing on the Maxx except for a lighted ignition switch ring....

Liking this car more and more.
    To me the Maxx is a big hatch not a wagon. Is there any way to cross list on the hatch board?
    Have been away from the hatch and wagon boards from some time, didn't notice the change.
    pao: yes. I have two line items which state: "add for clear coat" on both the hood and fender
  • maddmaxxmaddmaxx Member Posts: 81
    I recently had some more repairs to my Maxx. The oil pan gasket was replaced as well as the driver side axle seal. The tech tells me the tranny is a Saab transmission. This is very interesting as the label on the car that said 90% US really makes me wonder. Most parts with a label don't seem to say US as I discovered when changing a flat that the rim is made in Korea.

Anyhow, will also be having the temp sender replaced when it comes in due to the gauge failing to work one day and the cooling fan running continuously. I like the fail safes these cars have, especially when I leave the cockpit light on :)

MPG, averaging 26 I'd say for hilly highway driving.

And the new headliner has not leaked since the first rain and re-replacement. I'm guessing the dealer goofed somewhere there.

Still enjoying the Maxx. Anyone having similar repairs?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    This has been a point of debate for a while... is the Maxx a hatch or a "short" wagon?

We'll kick this around again, and I'll get back to you.

kcram

Host - Wagons
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    I don't believe that it is a Saab transmission, I think the 4T45E transmission is built in Canada by Hydramatic (GM Powertrain).

In regards to coolant gauge (correct, right)? How many times have you had a problem? Did they ever mention P0116 DTC in your repair order info? If so it might be something else ;)
    Hi

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm strong again. The appraisal came out to be about $3000. The dealer says Bu Babe will be as good as new in a week.

I'll hold my horses until I put her through the paces on a highway at 65-70-75-80....perhaps!

I still cant look at the photographs I took of her.

Just in case you had to choose between a Toyota Rav4 and a Honda CRV for a young school teacher (friend) doing about 60 miles round trip what would you recommend?
  • townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    I think If I had to choose between a Rav4 and a CRV, I'd choose a Maxx, hands down. See how unbiased I can be???
    outside the maxx..i would choose the honda....its reports say it is a better hwy car suv than the Rav4.....if she offroads any..is the versus.....my 2 cents
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    Any new information on roof racks for the Maxx? Are aftermarkets available? Issues with the fixed rear skylight? I agree with one of the previous posts that a fixed rack would be a great option on the non-sunroof models. My '95 Neon Sedan had a factory rack that was hugely useful..
    Oh, I concur...I'd take the Maxx over both of them, mainly since I don't come close to fitting in either. But between those two SUVs, I'd take the Honda any day. I absolutely loved that vehicle, except that I would have to cut off at least a two foot section of my leg to fit in it, and the seats did not have good side support (way too flat).
    see msg 181 in the mods and accessories forum
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    Hey, according to Wards Auto Data

Malibu is #2 selling car in Jan-2005.

Camry is #1

Impala is #3

Accord is #4.

We got to how many Maxx's were sold.
    I've had the problem only 1 day for about 250 miles driven that day. They hooked up the Tech II and they said it indicated an intermittent coolant sending unit reading and a new sending unit would correct the problem.

Fill me in, what is PO116 DTC?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Expect this discussion to be crosslinked to the Hatchbacks forum soon :)

kcram

Host - Wagons
  • gagabubugagabubu Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the comments on RAV4 and the Honda CRV even though this is the Maxx board. This school teacher is really petite so she wont have to undergo any surgery to fit in!!!

while I'm waiting for Maxx to come back home I'm going to Carmax to check out both this coming weekend. She used to drive a 4Runner. Dont know which way its going to go.

Best to all and thanks for the inputs.
    Thanks for the comments on RAV4 and the Honda CRV even though this is the Maxx board. This school teacher is really petite so she wont have to undergo any surgery to fit in!!!

while I'm waiting for Maxx to come back home I'm going to Carmax to check out both this coming weekend. She used to drive a 4Runner. Dont know which way its going to go.

While I'm waiting for Maxx to come back home I'm going to Carmax to check out both the RAV4 and the CRV this weekend. She used to drive a 4Runner. Dont know which way its going to go.

I just don't have good idea if dealer actually tells customer what code they might read with Tech 2.

Anyways P0116 = Engine Coolant Sensor Rationality test. I could give you details but then you know what would have to happen (LOL)

But here is the general idea....when vehicle thinks igition has been off for a long period of time it expects engine coolant temperature to be close to ambient temperature. If it sees it as too high (it has a way to figure this out) engine computer considers there might be something wrong with coolant temp sensor so it sets that code and I think the temp gage might default to some value. Don't know if that is what you were seeing.
    this might partly explain why the Maxx sometimes has trouble starting after being parked after warming up, it is left for a short time and then restarted. The "tween" condition appears to confuse the engine management computer and the engine gets the wrong mixture during start. Once going, the engine is fine.
  • wantamaxxwantamaxx Member Posts: 7
    I am interested in a maxx LS with the 1SB package Im interested to know what other people consider a fair price for this vehicle. I went to a local dealer and the MSRP is $23,213,the invoice is around $21,529 (that is what dealer gave) and there is a $3000.00 rebate (northeast). That would bring the price to $18529.00 does this seem fair or could i get this for less?? I looked on the prices paid board but there is nothing recent to go by. Your comments and advise are much appreciated. Also wondering if any other incentives are out there for this vehicle.
    You are a sharp guy, Kurt!

:)
  • ratifiedratified Member Posts: 4
    I have a 04 Maxx that has been in to the local dealer 6 times for rough idle. On the second time in, the dealer reprogrammed the ECU as per the TSB 04-06-04-080. They also did it again on the 3,4, and 5th times in. Still the same crappy rough idle till the point the MAXX idles so low it wants to shut off!!!! On the 6th time, I was told it was "a characteristic of the engine"!!!! Anyone else have this happen? I like this car;wife's car; and want this fixed. I asked them about checking the plugs and injectors or even if it was a bad ECU and all I got was the computer doesn't show anything!?!?!? I need a mechanic and not a bunch of parts changers!! Any ideas??
    for the base LS. No GM card, no current owner discount. Don't have the moroni sticker in front of me but think that the price was about 22.1 (varies slightly with manufacture date, I got a later one because I didn't want white. Could have gotten the base car with $80 floor mats who needs 'em for 15.9. Sounds like you're about a thousand too high.
  • wantamaxxwantamaxx Member Posts: 7
    Is yours a 2005 or 2004?? DO you remember what the rebates were in your area at the time of purchase? Thanks for your response!
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Not sure how common this is on other vehicles, but I observed something this week that impressed me about the Maxx's intermittent wipers.

When you twist the stalk to a faster setting, the wipers immediately wipe across the windshield once - even if it wasn't time yet for them to do so. When you twist to a slower setting, this does not happen.

The designers/engineers must have been thinking along the same lines as me - when I speed up the intermittent setting, it's because there already is enough stuff on the windshield and I want to clear it right away.

Thumbs up!
    I like that feature as well and will pass your comments along to person responsible!

Stuff like this is possible because wipers under control of body computer with a "dumb" motor rather than a motor that is "semi-smart"
    Did you notice that the intermittent delay is vehicle sensitive as well? Shorter delay when you drive faster
    Any suggestions? Or should I just go ahead and let the dealer change the temp sending unit?

Another strange thing happened the other day. I flipped through the DIC and noticed the MPG and avg speed had reset itself to 0 for some reason. When I had exited the car earlier, the radio continued to play 10 minutes after I shut the car off and took the key out. The only thing I did different was not use the power lock to unlock the car, but just did it manually. Did I somehow trick the computer?

Thanks for the help.
    I don't know why it zeroed out by itself, but the 'Bu/Maxx does have ambient power reserve which means after you shut off your car and remove your key (as long as you don't open up the driver's door), you can still shut/open the sunroof, windows, listen to the radio, etc.
    It was an '05. I used the internet sales query through Edmunds. Two of the three dealers who I checked contacted me.

Two kickers that probably won't apply for you. First I did get a $500 St. Louis auto show discount, second, I know a GM employee and got a driveway (some acronym) discount. The strange thing was that the GM employee discount gave me less than $100 additional as I had to forego some other discounts when I got it.

My suspicion is that dealing with an on-line salesman does save you some bucks. Both dealers responses were almost dollar for dollar identical.

I can't find my e-mail detailing each of the discounts but I did find the sales price and discount on a comparison spreadsheet:

list: 22,090

discount: 6010.50

purchase price: 16079.50

I should also state that Missouri sales tax is not part of the transaction price but has to be paid within 30 days. Since I get 2000 worth of credit for the car that I'm practically giving to my daughter I'll have to pay approximately a thousand dollars in sales tax before my 30 day paper tag expires ($14000 net @ 7%) and I transfer my existing plates on my Hyundai over to the Maxx. Different states do it differently. I'm always encouraging people to ignore sales tax in reporting prices paid since the practice varies so much state to state. If you had sales taxes in there as part of the deal that could go a long way towards changing your total paid.

I could have also saved about $100 plus dollars if I had taken a car with an earlier build (about fifty different plus 80 dollars worth of floor mats). I didn't want a white car, however, and a $15 set of Wal-Mart floor mats work just fine, thank you...
    Actually "we" call it Retained Accessory Power (LOL).

The Malibu has 2 different levels in vehicle. When you turn off the ignition you can operate windows and sunroof (and heated seats?) for up to 10 minutes until you open any door.

The radio actually will continue to play for up to 10 minutes until driver door is opened. It doesn't shut off when passenger doors are opened. Seems like I might have posted about this before on forum and if so - sorry about that
    The dealer would have to tell you which code is setting to more intelligently answer that question but since the part is pretty easy to replace I guess wouldn't hurt if that is what they want to do.

I might have seen someone post about finding DIC reading reset before. If that happens to you often enough for it to be an annoyance you will might need to get the body computer replaced.
    thanks for compliment. Other cars seem to have this problem as well (my toyota camry and corolla/prism with fuel injection, and my Honda accord with 3-barrel carb (it simply boiled its carb empty). Must be a hard condition to design for.
    Yes, the wipers are one of the high points on this car. Have also been surprised the blades have lasted over a year and still work pretty well - my other cars blades only lasted 3 months!

Unfortunately, the dealer I go to can't order a pair of blades to save their lives!
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I've been away from this board for a while, but I'm pleased to report that my 04 Maxx LS is handling western NY winter admirably. I'm absolutely baffled by all these posts about poor winter traction...I've gone through 10" of unplowed snow with absolutely no problem; this car is the answer to my winter driving prayers!

But one little annoyance has popped up: When driving at 55-60 mph on level expressways and an outside temp of 30F or less, there is a noticeable humming sound, almost like exhaust noise. When you lift your foot off the gas (or disengage the cruise) it goes away. Has anyone else noticed this?

I know most all cars are noisier in cold weather when running on fast idle, but what could be causing this? It's more noticeable than other cars I've driven.
    Eight days to 500 miles, that's about right since I averaged about 23K a year on my Elantra. First impressions about the Maxx:

1. Initially it seemed a bit too large, but I'm adjusting to the size and the automatic. Liked the ability to throw the Elantra around (despite its rather soft suspension, but the Maxx grows on me).

2. I'm averaging mid twenties, mixed driving. About 1 mpg less than the Elantra. Pretty good considering displacement is up by 75 percent.

3. I was really babying it around town. Don't know whether it was because I was keeping it 2K RPM and under or whether it was the automatic, but the engine seemed almost indolent to me. Yesterday, however, I kicked it down a bit on the interstate-- still under 3500 rpm-- and this thing does have legs.

4. So far I'm pleasantly surprised by both the oem tires and the electric steering. Thing tracks pretty damn good. Only light snow but rain traction has been good so far. Despite that, I'm aware that the tires are rated BB with a fairly low mileage rating, so I'm not expecting much.

5. Flexibility, flexibility, flexibility. Read a review of the emerging 04 where they compared it with the last gen large Saab hatchback, interesting because of the shared platform of the much-less interesting 9-3. Why did GM make the Saabs plain jane normal and move the large hatch over to Chevy?

6. Like all the doodads. Other than a lighted ignition ring and side air bags I'm unaware of anything this thing had that my Elantra GLS had.

7. Noted that a forum poster on Car and Driver called the Maxx near luxury. No real complaints about fit and finish but most Japanese and some Korean cars seem to do better. Seating surfaces are less pleasing than my Elantra and it took me a long time to get used to them. Dash lighting seems a bit multi-colored. Seems to me that white lighting blends to light blue depending on where you look on dash. Blue information center doesn't clash (Elantra GT combines green and purple), but more attention to uniformity would have given it a better look.

If someone told me six weeks ago that I'd buy this car I wouldn't have believed them. My first test drive wasn't that impressive, probably because cars of this size with automatics are new to me. The Maxx is growing on me daily, however. The combination of plain jane, easy to fix anywhere mechanicals and funky off the wall styling clues is appealing more and more.
  • firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    Hey csandste...I traded in an '01 Elantra on this '05 Maxx..I loved the little Hyundai(a 5 spd also) but it had a high speed shimmy that they could not eliminate, and I got a good deal on the trade in on the Maxx LS(side airbags, rear wiper, in dash CD).

Like you, I was getting mid 20's mileage about town..the Maxx gets 20-22..Quite acceptable.

It is amazingly fast..and smooth and quiet..

An earlier post mentions how good it is in the snow..I also find it excellent in the snow, here in upstate NY where we have a had quite a bit this year..Anyway.. Just thought I'd mention our similar experiences..Good luck...I love this car.

Jack