Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    dont disagree..but I want a much improved performance package......suspension engine..brakes..etc..give me overall performance first...looks second.......I like the new front end on the Maxx!!!
  • fulloutpwrfulloutpwr Member Posts: 11
    Ill definentely take one... 18" wheels etc. all appeal to the 21 y/o in me!
  • townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    Was this the first time "Camry" and "dream car" were mentioned in the same sentence?
    ;)
  • marywilsonmarywilson Member Posts: 16
    Thanks Madmadam and rest of you.
    I have just returned my Honda to Hillside Honda in Queens. I will visit a few dealers tomorrow. There is a $2500 combined GM rebate right now. Two dealers are selling Maxx at $1500 below MSRP. Having about $2000 in GM card savings, if this steering wheel "issue" is random, Maxx is it for me. I am in love with its features too.
    I drive through LIE/world largest parking lot between 7am~9am each and everyday. I need a roomy reliable vehicle.

Thanks again.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    what happened with your Honda?

As for Maxx steering columm, some bad ones got into the 2004's. Am not sure if the 2005 is having same problem. In my case the columm failed 6-7 months after car was built; the dealer kept the car for two days and replaced the columm. 4 months later the columm developed internal noises and had to be lubricated.

The maxx is pretty good in moving parking lots (some driveline lash but only at the lowest speeds), though its gas mileage drops considerably. It has a lot of low end torque for its engine size and will easilly "bark the tires" if you are heavy with throttle.
  • marywilsonmarywilson Member Posts: 16
    My Accord's lease is up; that's all; it was a good car, but If I were to purchase an Accord, with my budget, I can only purchase a DX; not very pleasant.
    Maxx is a much better deal.
  • ugnarugnar Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know exactly when the new Malibus are coming out? The only information I have found has to do with the SS models and information on those is just a vague "Fall 2005." This is going to affect my decision to go for a 2004 Maxx now or wait a couple months and try to pick up a 2005 at close to the same deal I'm getting on the 2004 right now or go for a 2004 at an even lower price.
    Thanks for info, Mary. I've never bought on lease (drive too many miles per year for those to work for me).

If you go for '04 Maxx be sure it's a late build date - early ones had the steering columm, transmission belt, and various other service bulletins.

In the '04s' you may also get rattles ; dome light, head rest supports, rear hatch trim, rear skylight trim. I've had to rework those in mine and most of the noises are now gone (fingers xed they don't come back).
    If you don't drive rough roads it's not as much an issue.

One really nice thing about the Maxx is it handles bad roads quite well. Being slammed by potholes (common in LA) was no fun in Camry, Prism, Ion - Maxx just rolls over 'em. May not be true for SS version and its skinny tires and huge wheels, but SS is not out until possibly late 2005 (SS will have a nicer engine).
  • ugnarugnar Member Posts: 3
    I kind of left half of my question out of my original post - When the SS does come out, are they releasing any other 2006 models with it, like an LS or LT, or is it just going to be the SS?
    ..in the middle of the LA San Fernando valley. Green '05 LS with spoiler and rear wiper. Last one I saw was about 4 months ago on the San Diego Freeway (driftwood LT, same color as mine). Maxxes are rare in S. Calif.
    By comparison, wrt Chrysler 300's I see one to three of those every day, many of them "tricked out" (is the "p..ped out" phrase considered inflamatory by Edmunds?) with huge wheels and more chrome.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Quite rare in St. Charles County-- probably see a couple per week. Of course this is much more domestic country than SoCal. Much rarer than my Elantra (of course the platform is five years old)-- saw those in the same color as mine several times a day.

I have the green LS sans spoiler/wiper. One more identical car in this county (325,000 population) that I see a couple of times a month.

I like having a unique looking car that's not unique underneath. I can't call the Maxx good looking but it certainly stands out, not like the masses of Camrys and Accords.
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    Where are you seeing the pics of the SS? I searched and only found a vague press release. Thanks in advance.
  • hickorydhickoryd Member Posts: 57
    When we had an Aerostar, it could haul 8' lumber flat on the floor, and 10' over the top of the seats. Last week picked up some 2x10x8 treated. Have a scrap of carpet narrow but 10' long. That worked great. Yesterday needed some 10' PVC sections. With one passenger and the carpet piece on the dash, the relatively light weight pipe fit just fine, totally enclosed. I traded an '04 Silverado short bed for a vehicle that really hauls small loads and gets twice the fuel economy.

(Wonder if anyone thought about adding a trailer hitch to a Maxx?).

Love this versatility!
    maax4me...has a hitch on his Maxx...he uses it for a bike rack.....not a bad addition..and does a nice job of hiding the muffler!
    http://www.chevrolet.com/malibuss/

Pics of the SS on the chevy website......
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I read all Malibus will have the same nose for 2006 as a refresh.

Not sure if there will be any other changes.
  • brianmabrianma Member Posts: 17
    > That upcomming Audi A3 is looking might good, by the way.

It is a great car. The issues in the US will be:

1) Price - it's about $26K on average for FWD and $28.5K for AWD. This is a bit pricey for a high-end Audi version of the VW GTI 5 door. The car can run to $32.5K when fully loaded.

2) Weird option packages at launch. The DSG tranny and V-6 engine aren't available - only a FWD 2.0 model with either a 6M or 6A tranny. AWD, V6, and DSG will come later.

The front seats have enormous legroom and really great seats and driving position. The rear seat is tight like in the A4, but the hatch adds some good storage room.
    sounds like Audi is doing what GM does - ship relatively few versions of a car model first off and hold the variations for later. Perhaps Audi is short on V6 and AWD systems for the A3 - who knows.

Other question is reliability - Audis seem to have a lot of electrical problems.
    Then again, CU lists Malibus as having awful electrical reliability after 3 years (unfortunately, CU does not say __what__ goes bad).
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    Thanks pao, Any idea what the new engine will get for gas mileage. I like what mine is getting now. Any more firm on release date other than fall?
  • californiamaxxcaliforniamaxx Member Posts: 17
    Kurt,

I live in Sacramento area and travel 100 - 150 miles a day for work. I drive around the bay area and up and down the valley. I have 14 different routes I drive. I see 2-4 Maxxes a day no matter where I drive. There have been some days when I see more, but 2-4 is a realistic number. I rarely see the same car twice. So with that said there must be 100's out on the road in the Central / Northern California area. My car has 15,000 miles on it and is running great with no problems. I Love It! 2005 LS Driftwood w/ Onstar & Autostart.

DavisMaxx, Chances are I've seen you on the road a few times.

Still getting 31 MPG average. I drive about 75% freeway during the day. Avg speed 45MPH. :)
  • maxx4usmaxx4us Member Posts: 5
    http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2005_newyork/malibuss/malibu_info.doc

For those that have not seen, follow the link for detailed specs on the Maxx SS. I'm torn between the Maxx and the Murano. Price and gas mileage I think will be the deciding factors which means Maxx!.
  • vincentwangvincentwang Member Posts: 42
    I bot my Maxx last Nov., and dealer told me I can use Onstar for one year free since my purchased date. So I tried it weeks ago for direction, and was told my free service is just the very basic one and not including this. So I'm wondering who will pay them $30 to get the service? Why just go for a GPS?

What's exactly the point of Onstar? For accident? :P
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    hey, watch the copywrite infringement on the name!! :shades:
    go for the Maxx. I call the Murano a glorified Vibe. In addition to the poor gas mileage, you are forking over a lot of money for all the extras on that car. Oh, and does it have remote start? I don't think so!
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Onstar is primarily for emergencies-if the airbags go off, authorities are notified by the system. It can also be used (for a fee, natch) as a hands-free cell phone, you can make requests for directions, and OnStar can unlock your vehicle if your lock yourself out. All of this costs $$, and, will all luxuries, is not completely necessary, but is nice to have. You should have received a brochure with your vehicle outlining what service you get.
  • vincentwangvincentwang Member Posts: 42
    Yes, mitzij, I got the brochure, but lost it long time ago. I just wondering is any of services is free? I mean all these services except the direction and phone call don't seems worth the money anyway.
    If I don't pay them and I had accident someday and airbags go off, will they still call for help anyway? :blush:
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I've wondered the same thing. I currently pay for the basic service + minutes airtime for the hands free phone though. That gets me everything I'm likely to make much use of- accident assistance, remote door unlocking, and the cell service. Of the three I make use of the cell routinely and haven't had to use the others at all (peace of mind, knock on wood :) ). If the cell wasn't so strong I probably wouldn't pay for that service either, but it picks up in practically every place I've ever been, even places where my normal cell phones drop out.
    unless you pay the monthly fee..ONSTAR will not monitor the vehicle and no notification is made...I too use it for the hands free cell phone....in fact..if you have digital hardware for your ONSTAR...it can be tied directly to your verizon wireless cell number and account, the 04 Maxxes were analog...dont know about the 05, but you can call ONSTAR and they will tell you if the system is appropriate to link with verizon....without buying minutes from ONSTAR.....thought their cost is coming down now...with no time limit to use the minutes.....

I also have it for peace of mind..for airbag notification, lock out...and vehicle tracking should it be stolen....again a luxury maybe, but so is the satellite radio in my Maxx as well!!!!.
    is that it must be installed at the factory. Otherwise wiring and antennas are not included and Onstar is not retrofittable because of that.
    Since most of the countries wireless phone network is going digital, so are the onstar systems in our cars. Cars that still have the analog system will supposedly be upgradable (by the dealership?) to the digital system for a fee. Both of my '04 vehicles will have to be upgraded when the time comes.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Automatic Notification of Air Bag Deployment
    Emergency Services

With the purchase of a new vehicle, you get one year 'free' of:

GM Goodwrench Remote Diagnostics
    Remote Door Unlock
    Stolen Vehicle Tracking
    Roadside Assistance
    AccidentAssist
    Remote Horn And Lights
    Online Concierge Services

You have to pay extra for the phone and directions deal.
    The Stolen Vehicle Tracking and AccidentAssist is permanent. If the airbags go off or you hit the red emergency button, you will get assistance. If your hot-rod is stolen, the police can contact OnStar and they will track down your car with the GPS deallie.
    since we got into the ONSTAR discussion..I just called and ask if ANY services were free..and they stated no..unless you have an active account....while the tracking and accident assist maybe part of the system...ONSTAR will not take any action as their system is not monitoring your vehicle ID number unless you have an active account..I asked even if I pushed the emergency red button would I get a response..and they stated NO unless the account was active....so nothing is free with ONSTAR unless you are a paid subscriber..here is there number if anyone has additional questions.....888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827)...all the basic services listed above are part of teh safe and sound plan....for 16.95 a month
    upgradeable......do you have any additional information on this one.....I would like to pursue that just for the hands free cell phone..the number in he car is assigned to yuor current verizon cell account..and you dont have to purchase minutes from ONSTAR..they are part of your current verizon calling plan!
    That's all I know right now. The only reason this is going to be possible is because analog cell networks are going to go away shortly as the country moves to all-digital networks. I wish I could recall exactly where I'd read this information at, but it was specifically concerning OnStar and the current analog systems in some vehicles.
    I just found it..did a search on ONSTAR...its only applicable for 2004 and beyond models which have analog/digital ready systems...upgradeable to dual mode. You have to contact the GM dealer..and you must purchase a 3 year ONSTAR subscription to get the upgrade..the equipment is provided but I believe from the way it reads you have to pay for the installation..ONSTAR will go all digital in 2008..thus the need for the conversion....that is pricey..since the basic ONSTAR is $200 a year..so you are paying out $600 just for the privilege of the upgrade and then paying for the installation on top of that..it doesnt going into details..but I bet they simply change out the ONSTAR control module...I'll make the decision then if I want to upgrade..perhaps the price will come down ....or I will be in the market for a new car!
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I have Onstar on my wife's 2001 Bonneville. I pay the yearly base fee and buy 100 minutes of cell time whenever it needs more minutes. To me it's an insurance policy as my wife has MS. I do receive 1 courtesy request for directions a year and I have used it once. I was in Florida and the check gas cap light came on and onstar did a remote diagnostic and told me it should reset after 3 days. If not I should go to the nearest dealer and they gave me the name and address. My Maxx came off the lot and did not have onstar. As long as my wife continues to drive she will have a car with Onstar.
    Is the Onstar in current (2004 and up) Malibus dual-mode, or is the factory installed version holding off being dual-mode until 2008?

In other words if you buy now, what do you get? Just Analog?
    if you read the GM release...and it doesnt specify models but states that most 2004 and beyond are analog/digital ready..meaning it can be upgraded to dual mode.....some of the higher end GM..cads, and SUVs are already digital......here is the URL:

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/downloadable/en_FAQs.pdf
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    my co-workers love sitting in the back of my Maxx, and always volunteer me to drive to lunch. With gas prices approaching $2.50, I'll have to start charging a ridership fee :P One of them didn't even notice the rear moon roof; once I pointed it out, he was mesmerized :shades: Oddly, I still see a ton of 'Bu sedans in my area and only a handful of Maxx's (pao's and mine notwithstanding). I just don't see the draw of the sedan.
  • hgr3inokhgr3inok Member Posts: 28
    Anyone know where the sensor/sending unit for the outside temp is located on a 2004 LS? The DIC is indicating a constant 68 degrees. The outside temp is currently 80 degrees. Any suggestions?
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    There is an intentional delay in the display updating to an increasing temperature and this time of year it will likely be more noticable with cool mornings and rising temps in the day.

If the vehicle has been sitting for over 3 hours it should update to current temperature but if less than that then you have to drive vehicle a while for temperature to start updating. If current temperature is cooler it will start going down immediately, delay is just for increasing temperature. Many vehicles work this way to avoid getting a false indication of high temperature from engine heat if you are idling (like sitting in bumper-bumper traffic)..
    I am going to see if I can give you a better answer on this pao - stay tuned :)
    showed up last night on the 5_118 freeway I go home on. Driving much faster, diving into the Mission off-ramp. Was an '05 (wiper gave it away). Makes three I have seen this year (for the whole of '04 I saw _one_other than mine).

I really wonder why Americans hate hatchbacks/"extended sedans" so much...
  • hgr3inokhgr3inok Member Posts: 28
    e2helper - Thanks for the info! I found this at www.gmtechlink.com:
    =======================
    In the 2004 Malibu, the outside temperature readout is included in the radio display. When the car is being driven, this indicates the outside temperature, as determined by the outside temperature sensor.

Immediately after startup, the reading depends on several factors, including the amount of time the vehicle was turned off, the vehicle speed, and the value of the outside air temperature sensor.

Started with Key After Being Parked for 3 Hours
    The BCM initializes the outside air temperature display to the value of the actual outside air temperature reading.

Started with Key After Being Parked for Less Than 3 Hours, or Anytime When Started with Remote Starter
    The BCM initializes the outside air temperature display with the last stored value when the vehicle was shut off. If the outside air temperature is greater than the stored value, the display will not update as long as the vehicle remains below 10 mph (16 kph). When the speed is between 10 and 33 mph (16 and 53 kph), the readout updates after approximately five minutes. And when the speed exceeds 33 mph (53 kph), the update occurs after approximately three minutes.

If the current outside air temperature value is less than the stored value, the lower value will be displayed immediately.

If the temperature sensor performs according to these parameters, everything is OK. Do not attempt to repair or replace anything.
    =======================

I continue to be impressed with the Maxx.

Regards,

-HANK RYAN-
    Norman, Oklahoma
  • avantiavanti Member Posts: 27
    I was wondering the same. e2helper (or anyone else), can you tell us anything yet about the 2006 Malibus? I have seen nothing anywhere except about the SS. Estimated 2006 production startup dates are not hard to find (August something) but don't help my decision-making process much...
  • madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    I don't understand it either. I love having a hatchback--this is the third one I've owned (My first new car was a 1982 cavalier hatchback). The MAXX is so roomy--my teenagers and friends are comfy, and I can load so much stuff in the back. And I love the three-level reversable cover--it offers alot of flexibility.
    I spotted another gold (Light Driftwood) MAXX like mine in our area. There's a silver one nearby also (I chatted with the owner one day--she's also very satisfied with the car), but those are the only ones I've seen in our neighborhood in Central Queens, NY.
  • madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    Ha! I think you are right about that. It certainly would not have been my choice--but she's happy with it. I see so many of them--there must be 6 Camrys (Camries?) parked on my street! They're everywhere. Not so our MAXX.
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    I must agree with the Maxx beings much better looking then the sedan, and of course much more versatile. And I think all the sedan owners should thank Dodge, if it wasn't for the new Dakota the Malibu sedan might be considered the ugliest vehicle on the road. :P :P
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Hi all, I have a 05 Maxx LT. I have had it about 3 months and have put on aprox 7500Km (470 miles) I have noticed a periodic rough idle or shutter, has anyone else had this with an 05? I know the 04 had a problem with this. Was wondering if it was carrying over to some 05. Other then that, and a few rattles shes running great. Got the sunroof wind deflector installed under the TSB, and now it's a pleasure to drive with the roof open. Gas mileage (based on the car's computer) seems to get better the faster I go and with the A/C on. Not sure why, but not complaining. :):)
    OK 2004/5 Malibu OnStar uses analog cell phone system. The 2006 is supposed to transition to digital version. The 2006 Malibu model isn't in production yet which is why I hedge slightly. There isn't such thing as dual mode "bridging box".

As you mentioned if you upgrade to digital system the dealer will likely just replace the Onstar module in your vehicle - other stuff, wiring, antennas, microphone, coax cables are same

Speaking of antennas...the 2006 Malibu has a new combined antenna which combines OnStar GPS/Cell Phone AND XM all in one antenna - it still has several cables running to it but only 1 antenna is visible on roof instead of 2 on a vehicle with both OnStar and XM options.
    Chevrolet does have a little bit about 2006 Malibu SS model on their official web site but it still shows under upcoming models section since it is still a ways away from hitting dealer showroom.

Biggest change for 2006 is new SS model and front end facelift for all models. There are some appearance tweaks on radio, a new steering wheel, OnStar changes to digital cell phone technology (as mentioned elsewhere). I also think all vehicles will be built "remote start ready" so just in case the vehicle you see on dealer lot doesn't have the option, the dealer can now easily upgrade it to have remote start system. I also think there might be an available compass in rear view mirror.

I have already probably said too much but hope that helped :)