Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I probably will just stick with the analog....by Jan 2008 when ONSTAR is scheduled to go fully digital, Im sure I will be in the market for another car...thanks for the update...and like the idea of the combined antenna....
  • mrlizzzardmrlizzzard Member Posts: 31
    The press is the reason for poor Maxx sales,they tout only Asian and European vehicles as what to drive,when in fact American products are just as good on all counts.I just dumped a Mercedes 2003 it was junk!Just bought a Ford Freestyle made in Ill. and it's GREAT!I would have bought the Maxx if it was $2000 more money with that money going into refining the vehicle.(Most auto mag's are owned by foriegners,check it out)
    lizzzard
  • mrlizzzardmrlizzzard Member Posts: 31
    I'm not going to pay money to have Onstar track me and sell that info.My Freestyle came with a keypad to unlock if my keys get locked in at no charge.My cell phone does the rest.
    lizzzard
    track and sell what information?.....
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I don't know yet if I'll keep the OnStar service come 2008 or not. Seems like an awefully high cost to pay to provide THEM with another yearly customer. Maybe OnStar should be subsidizing the cost of the changeover to keep us as customers. ;)

One thing I'm relatively sure of is that we'll still have our Malibu LT sedan though, barring an accident, severe issues, etc. I don't like trading vehicles too often. (BTW, if it weren't for the sedans back end, there'd be NO good profiles on ANY current Malibu of any kind. ;))
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    appreciate info... Thought there was a compass in the day/night autodimming mirror already (I havd good old manual mirror - autodimmer is too sluggish).

Would be really neat some day if Chevy uncorks AWD to go with the new engine for the SS.
    Kurt..I love my autodimmer in the LT rearview mirror....it is instanteous from what I can tell.....this being the first vehicle that I have had such a feature in...I dont think I would do without it now.......and no compass in this mirror..I do believe GM does have one that does...but not the one that comes in the LT 1SB package...
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    The compass feature is being added to the autodimming mirror for 2006
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I had Onstar on one vehicle a few years ago 2003 Buick Rendezvous. Was in a garage downtown Montreal. Guess what?? When you have a dead battery you have no Onstar. That means you call them on your cell phone or find a pay phone somewhere. So, unless you travel frequently in areas that have no cell phone coverage, not much purpose in paying for the Onstar extras. Take the free year they give you but after than not needed!
  • marywilsonmarywilson Member Posts: 16
    Hi madmadam and Kurt:

I just got my 05 Maxx today. Wonderful car, smooth ride. Merging on freeway is so much easier now.
    Dealer gave 1500 off MSRP, plus GM's rebate, and 2000 GM card savings.
    Couldn't save that much if I had purchase a Camry or Accord, and those car would have less features. LE and LX with 4 cylinder engine.
    Can't say enough good things about it.

Thanks to all of you who provided feedback. It drives straight and steering wheel is center. With the light rain today in NYC, traffic was bad. Couldn't drive very far.

I will post some updates later. It is going to be a fun day tomorrow. I think I will have lunch at Philly tomorrow.
  • madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    Congratulations! I know you will continue to enjoy your MAXX. And it sounds like you got a very good deal on your 05. My sister didn't get any sort of break on her 05 Camry. MAXX has much more for the driver and the passengers.
    Enjoy!
  • cjasencjasen Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a Maxx LS, and when I was looking I pretty much figured I would just go with the regular sedan, since I couldn't see paying a couple hundred extra for the hatchback. If they were the same price I might have leaned toward the hatchback, since it should give a little more cargo room, but I wouldn't be surprised if I go the entire life of the car and never take advantage of it.

But when I saw the dramatic difference in rear seat leg room, it was a very easy choice. The kids absolutely love the room they have back there (compared to my old 95 Taurus, which overall is actually a slightly bigger car). And they also like the rear moon roof and the rear seat controls on the radio/CD. Although they haven't forgiven me for passing on the built-in DVD player.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I think you made the logical choice. Kids turn into adults real quick, and legroom becomes very important. It is pathetic how poor the rear seat legroom is in over 90% of the cars today. As for the DVD player, I think you also made the right choice. While a fixed player is nice some of the time, a removable player which can be taken on a plane, removed from the car for security purposes, can be used at the beach (you get the idea) is far better.
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    I'm curious about the costs that GM would incur in providing a two seat position memory in the Maxx that already has power seats. Admittedly not knowing much about this but it appears to be as simple as installing a button and tweaking some software.
    Though my wife is the primary driver I'm the fetch it out of the garage guy (backing out onto a curving driveway not her strong suite). She's 5' 1", I'm 6' 1". She sits bolt upright and I'm way laid back. I'm not even going to ask for the pedals and mirrors, just the drivers seat. Can it be that expensive?
    I don't know how much it might cost but in addition to a memory position select switch what would be required is a position sensor for each motor and a module to read the new memory switch, the new seat motor position sensor and the existing power seat switch.

The control module would then directly control operation of each seat motor with relays or electronics.
    Not an easy retrofit either I suppose.
  • ml83ml83 Member Posts: 6
    I've been driving an 05 Maxx since December and have just a couple of gripes, in case anybody at GM reads this stuff:
    1. The rear wiper switch is located down under the radio, which is not where a control regularly used during driving ought to be. I find I always have to take my eyes off the road, plus it's a reach. It ought to be on the same stick that controls the front wipers.
    2. The AC/fan control buttons have ridges all around, instead of one tactile cue to tell you which way it's pointing. Particularly with the right knob that selects the vents, you always have to look to see where it's pointed. With the right knob that could be done by touch.
    3. The dashboard dimmer (which ought to be able to dim those lights just a little more, BTW), does not dim the big orange MPH in the middle of the speedometer. No matter what, that MPH is sitting there glowing. It's not useful information -- I know very well I'm set at MPH, or something that has to be visible at all times. It doesn't have to be orange. It should be made part of the dimable light configuration on the dash.
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    ml83: I too feel the dash could be dimmed more. I remember previous cars that let me dim all the way out if I wanted. As for the big glowing MPH, I don't think you find many if any readers of this board that would disagree that the guy that came up with that should be sent back to design school.
  • sean418sean418 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all
    I just started reading your forum because I am in the process of purchasing a leftover 2004 Malibu Maxx LT in black. I had a local dealer who had many left over ( very sad ) Rides excellent and love all the features the car has. I am getting it with 6K off of the list price. Looking forward to picking it up on Monday.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Quote-
    As for the big glowing MPH, I don't think you find many if any readers of this board that would disagree that the guy that came up with that should be sent back to design school.

I disagree. Unless it's just to the big glowing part. I thought the ability to switch the analog speed readout from kmH to MPH was a nice touch. But I definitely see a need to identify which one is currently in use. 1mph /= 1km/h, so if you were in mph mode but thought you were reading km/h and attempted to set speed by that you could possibly end up with a nice ticket. I agree that the indicator could be a bit more understated though. ;)
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    You should get a MUCH better deal.
    I bought 04 in November and have got 8K+ off the sticker..
  • hickorydhickoryd Member Posts: 57
    After several trips to Mr. Goodwrench, my '04 Maxx is performing really well.
    A small annoyance is the radio's memory.
    1. Whenever my wife drives it with her key, a band or two of my pre-sets are gone when I resume driving it.
    2. The radio must prefer "Jazz". After locking in variables on presets, such as "talk" or "custom" (hold the button in until it beeps and flashes), several days will go by when a talk AM setting becomes "Jazz", and a custom FM music station also becomes "Jazz".
    For the previous dash discussion, I also think the green Cruise Symbol is also too bright.
    Also, vehicles with memory seat settings usually include the mirrors and radio pre-sets. Our Maxxes have the radio memory (except mine is forgetful).
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I agree, I got $6K off a 2005 in February. If the dealer is overstocked you should be easily able to get $8-9 off.
    I thought I read that all those settings were keyed to the last driver...(key fob) used to start and lock the car...thus when you enter with a different key fob....it was preset to the other one........one would think it would work just the opposite...that all the controls would change to the one that unlocks and starts the car!!!...

was shocked to see another 04 red sport metallic maxx today on I-495 outside DC....we smiled at each other as I passed him......
    pao is correct that for the 2004 Malibu there is a personalization feature for radio operation which is based on the last remote key fob (not the key) used to UNLOCK the vehicle.

I have see a few cases where this doesn't seem to explain what the owner is experiencing but I don't really have any answer for you.

For the 2005 Malibu this radio personalization operation was disabled due to the number of service complaints it seemed to be causing.
  • hgr3inokhgr3inok Member Posts: 28
    Don't let the critics of your deal deter you. :) It's your money and your car. IMHO, buyers should focus more on the total amount paid rather than on the amount of "discount". Available rebates and other discounts vary from time to time and from region to region. FWIW, my wife bought a leftover 2004 LS in January. She wanted a silver one, so she paid ~$1000 more than the similarly-equipped red one the dealer was advertising. For her, the extra cost was worth every penny. The Maxx has been great.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    He, he, he...wait to you hear this one. When I went to the DC Auto show last year, they had the Vibe all roped off and on a pedistal. Having arrived at the show when the doors opened, I begged the "hotty" to let me quickly hop inside and get out. Against the rules, she did. I was able to sit in the Vibe for about 3 seconds, in which time my brain said "hmmm, this leg room is worth coming back for a second look/feel." I now own one, and am thinking of getting a second. The Maxx is about the only wagon I see on the horizon worth waiting for. I'm hoping one of you will be lucky enough to do the same in the Maxx. Right now, I can get $3,000 back on a new Vibe, and would do so only if someone told me that the Maxx is made for midgets. Thanks to all of you in advance for doing my spy work!
  • ulmer1ulmer1 Member Posts: 1
    Are you kidding me? Onstar is invaluable but mostly for reasons that you hope you never have to use it for. Do you think your house insurance is a ripoff just because you've never been broken into!? Onstar saves lives....what if you're in a roll over and unconcious.? They are the only one that know where you are. Better yet....what if you witness an accident in the middle of nowhere? With a good samaritan call they can pinpoint exactly where you are and you can help to save someone else's life!
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    My former co-worker was on the way home and took the rural scenic route because there was little traffic and he enjoyed driving his new Envoy. He experienced chest pains pulled to the side of the road and pushed the button. They dispatched rescue to the exact location and kept talking to him as he was starting to drift off. His bypass operation was sucessful and he is back to work.

My wife has medical issues. I hope she never has to use it, but she will always have Onstar in her vehicle. I also used it when the check engine light came on while we were spending the winter in Florida. They read the code and gave me the name and address of the local Pontiac dealer.
  • sciguy85sciguy85 Member Posts: 45
    Me too. $8,000 off last August! Went to another dealer last month and saw an 04. Fibbed and said I wanted another for my wife what could they do. $6,000 off only. Maybe that's why they have 04's left and my dealer doesn't.
    Congratulations on the purchase of your black 04. I also got $6K off the list price and I've been very satisfied with my 04. I know you'll enjoy it.
    The rear seat leg room was the primary reason I selected the MAXX because I have teenagers. When they were small they were comfortable in my Cavalier, but most cars are so cramped in the rear that the MAXX was an easy choice at this point in our lives. Also, I happen to prefer hatchbacks.
    Congratulations on your new LS. I am sure you will enjoy it.
  • francijaifrancijai Member Posts: 10
    I also am purchasing an 04 Maxx LT, prior to making this decision I heavily researched this website and found some incredibly helpful information to make sure that I was making the best choice. After test driving for the weekend I was concerned about rough idle, pulling to the left, and the tranny howl that plagues some of the 04's. After emailing my salesman the tsb#s that pertained to my service concerns he had the service department work on the vehicle and resolve these bugs. Additionally the dealership extended the warranty. If you are interested in more details, my original post is in the malibu owners problems and solution forum, approximately a week ago.
  • indisweindiswe Member Posts: 10
    I just noticed today two different noises coming from my 04 Maxx and am wondering if other people hear them and if they are normal.
    Noise #1:
    When changing the vent system between vent/floor/defrost, I hear the vent "baffle" moving. That is, I hear a motorized buzz as it switches the direction of air flow. It is pretty easy to hear in my car.
    Noise #2:
    I hear a clicking when the transmission shifts into drive and into reverse (more of a click when shifting into drive). It's easier to hear this when the windows are down.
    So, has anybody else heard these or can anyone listen for these noises? And does anybody know if these are normal or should be fixed?
    Thanks
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Wrt my '04 maxx, I also hear the heater servo motors when the vent/floor/defrost setting is moved. The noise is very soft and probably nothing to worry about. If you hear really loud clicks or pops then something is wrong.

Wrt transmission, I've not heard clicks yet.
    ditto to Kurts msg..I too can hear the climate controls as they are changed...but mine is as he described.....and have heard no clicks from the transmission.....
  • jdm952jdm952 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 04 Maxx for about 2 months and the alignment is out. It pulls to the left and i've taken it back to the dealer twice and they said both times that the air pressure was good and the alignment machine showed no problems and the tech told me that it was fine? when i'm driving straight my steering wheel is turned to the left. Has anyone had this problem with 04 Maxx?
    i believe the issue is calibrating the electronic assist steering....Im forgetting the details..but I know it has been addressed in the forum before....do a search for the subject...and you should be able to find it...its a recalibration issue.....seems a lot of the local service techs..dont have a clue on how to handle the electronic steering on the 04/05 mailbus..did the search for you..here it is and lists the TSB..take this back to the service tech

ericw55, "Chevy Malibu Maxx" #3272, 13 Apr 2005 10:16 am
  • jdm952jdm952 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks alot, this will help out alot for when i take it back again!
  • francijaifrancijai Member Posts: 10
    Hi there, just had mine fixed. Here is the TSB for the left pull: Informational - vehicle leads/pulls characteristics and diagnosis #04-03-06-001-(Sep 10, 2004).
    I have to ask... the customer service rep you spoke with....what authorization did they give you to have the repairs made with their assistance?..did you not get an authorization in writing before you proceeded with the repairs?..Did you tell the service manager at the dealership that GM will assist in the repair cost?..Did the service manager not verify this information??? I would also not say that components are designed to last 3 years or 36K miles.....that is the stated warranty, not the expected life of the component and that failures are expected after 36K is an unfair statement.....I grant you it seems you took GM at their word...did you challenge it....have the name of the service rep you spoke with, have anything in writing regarding their offer???..sorry to hear about your unfortunate event here...good luck with a resolution
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Well had my first problems with my 05 Maxx LT with 15,000Km. Last week the temp gage stopped working, car ran fine idle was about 200 rpm higher and it was hard to start when hot. Called On Star they ran a diagnostic and found a problem with the engine management module. Had an appointment for a oil change anyway at dealer, they took it in fixed it up worked great, still a bit of rough idle at times. They said they could not find anything wrong with the idle. Then this morning I got in the car for work and the blower would not work, not in auto or manual mode, I could here the air baffles moving around when I used the selector. And when the car was moving I could feel hot air coming through the vents so I believe the heat was working, just not the blower. Fuses checked out ok and the high fan relay wont even click. Any Ideas what the problem could be???? Other then that the car runs great, getting about 36 mpg combined city hwy about 50 / 50 split.
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    As a clarification here, you're talking imperial gallons, right?
    could this be another case of when they fixed the original problem they disconnected something and didnt reconnect it?....
    For those that wondered where I have been finally a question I might be able to help on :)

First of all what pao said. But if that doesn't explain stuff......

Actually on an LT that Hi Blower Relay is just "going along for the ride" (it doesn't do anything on a vehicle with auto HVAC).

I will assume the HVAC display showing your selected temperature works, correct?

My guess would then be you could try a remove/reinstall on the fuse to the blower motor module. If you are game then look at the underhood electrical center and remove 30A fuse #19 labelled "RUN RLY". It is one of the big square ones and you will likely require a tool since the fusepuller in the IP center doesn't work with that big of a fuse and you can't get a good grip on it with just your fingers.

FYI - there is a special fuse puller dealer can likely order that will P/N 15401183. Probably should only cost a few bucks. It is similar to the plastic one in your vehicle but handles both sizes of fuses.
  • christinadchristinad Member Posts: 34
    Hello to everyone! I can't believe what a resource I have found in this forum. It's been hard focusing on work! I feel so empowered by this knowledge. My Dad (a Chevy salesman and former mechanic) almost died the other night when I casually used the term "TSB."
    I'm waiting to find the best deal I can on a used '05 (Dad's connections to the GM wholesale market). I don't know if I can stand driving this '95 Taurus another day!
    Am interested to see how the Maxx performs in the cold and snow here in Burlington, Vermont. Mixed reviews, but since I plan on buying good snow tires, I don't expect any real problems.
    Thanks again, and I hope I never need the help of e2!!
    Christina :blush:
    We've had our Maxx through one winter. With four snow tires it performed just fine in Connecticut. I bought them mounted on wheels so we can do the swapping and rotating ourselves and the tires don't have to get repeatedly torn off the rims. BTW that Taurus is just a puppy - we traded an '89 Taurus Wagon for the '05 Maxx in October.
    e2 is also helpful with explanations, particularly ones that the owner's manual doesn't deal with very well - he isn't just for disasters. Good luck - you will like the Maxx.
  • balloo814balloo814 Member Posts: 16
    OK,
    I gotta know... Is e2helper some sort of tech/mechanic for GM/Chevy?
    I agree he is great with the info he has...
    What the heck is a TSB? Tech Service Bulletin?
    Has anyone else noticed how much the rear toe and camber seem to lean in on their maxx or am I just paranoid?
    So many questions... I know...
    thanks

BTW good job of ridding one more ford from the roads... :P
    correct on TSBs......and you can look them up on several sites.....and e2helper has been a great help on this forum....he stays in the background for obvious reasons...and honestly believe he monitors this board to take feedback to corporate....he had stated in the past he participated in the design effort...so while I dont think he will acknowledge officially..since he cant...I believe he is a friend in court..and listening to the consumers of the Maxx here.....he has been a great help to us all

I havent noticed the camber issue..paranoid.....nahhhhhhhhh
  • kjk2kjk2 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my '05 Maxx since early December, 2004. I live in Michigan and we had a lot of snow this past winter. I didn't have any problems driving the Maxx, even with the regular tires.