Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    This is because the Malibu has new style push/pull power window switches that you have to pull back on to have windows go up. You will see most new vehicles having this type of operation. The 2001 Bonneville had older style rocker switches.
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    The Pontiac G6 has an identical information-radio module. Haven't tried it, but I'm sure it's off the rack interchangable with the 'Bu.
  • Options
    Don't blame the Driver Info Center/Radio. It is just displaying information sent to it by the Body Control Module.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    thanks, e2. I should have made question clearer.

Pity GM's only putting that VVT engine in the SS - It's blingbling tires and lower suspension are a bit minus for the bad roads I have to drive in Los Angeles. As for its sport seats, I've read that other SS models' seats are not good for long trips - will be interesting to see if Maxx SS are similar.

if GM got __really__ smart, they'd put AWD in the Maxx SS to compete with Audi, etc.
  • Options
    jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    Forgive me if this has been covered before....but...

I was looking on GM BuyPower this evening and I can't locate the Malibu Maxx as an option. :confuse:

http://www.gmbuypower.com/vehicleList.bp?make=Chevrolet&model=All&modelId=all&makeId=001&i- dentifyThumbnail=showAllMake&zip=77590&

Whats up with that?
  • Options
    indisweindiswe Member Posts: 10
    It's under Malibu. There is Maxx tab to click on after choosing Malibu. It's the same way for the Aveo - the 5 door and 4 door are different tabs within the Aveo page.
  • Options
    marywilsonmarywilson Member Posts: 16
    Thanks e2helper:

I am extremely happy with my Maxx; I am so happy; I decided to take my mother with me down to Tampa to visit my grandparents.
    I average 28mpg, with a heavy foot.
    It is very fast, quite comfortable, and a joy to drive.
    I have seen very few on the Gulf coast.

Thanks again for your reply.
  • Options
    dino54dino54 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 04 Malibu with a vibration problem and the "dealer says that two of my wheels are bent". My question is whether to find two used wheels or go after market and replace all four. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which way to go and where to get them.
    I have tried junk yards but I am concerned about there quality. If you agree with after market, do you recommend painted, polished or chrome? I would just want something that looks good and functions properly. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    plus you get a look at how individual wheels look on your car. On the other hand, I don't know why a junk yard would give you bad wheels unless they were damaged in the fatal crash.
  • Options
    sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    Had my 05 Maxx with 9k in the dealer shop Friday for scheduled maintenance. They gave me an 05 Maxx loaner for the day. Although I am generally happy with my car, the loaner had perceiveably greater oomph both at low and highway speeds and registered in the low to mid thirties on the mpg display where I usually see upper twenties. Is there that big a difference car to car? What can I ask my SM to check? :confuse:
  • Options
    markf57markf57 Member Posts: 38
    Well, I've looked through the manual and I can't seem to find the answer. On the right hand side of my Radio (RDS) display, there is a less than sign and a greater than sign displayed near each other on the same line. Can anyone tell me what that means?
  • Options
    I didn't have a Malibu to look at but the Radio Data System (RDS) display does have brackets "" around TRAF which is supposed to come on when you are on a station that is transmitting fact that they send out Traffic announcements.

I have yet to find a radio station in my area that actually sends out traffic information although there are some that obviously send out this "flag" that they do :mad:

I have also seen a few cases (both in Canada) where a radio station is sending out some goofy default message in RDS which has caused a few customers to take their vehicle back to dealer :(
  • Options
    christinadchristinad Member Posts: 34
    Hi, everyone,
    I just wanted to announce that, after reading these posts and becoming completely confident in my decision to get a Maxx, I finally found a good deal and bought a black '05 Maxx LT, 1SB option w/ XM and DVD. I got it for $19,100, which I was very pleased with.
    What a crazy transaction, though! My partner and I had to give power of attorney to my Dad to buy it and sign the paperwork for us, since we live in Vermont and he lives in South Carolina. The car came from North Carolina, 5 hours away from my Dad! He drove to Raleigh to get it for us, and now it's on vacation with my parents in Myrtle Beach. What a ride! I'm not going to be able to get it until July 17th when I fly down! I don't know how I'm going to be able to wait that long!
    Thanks to everyone who posts on here. It's an invaluable resource!
    Christina
  • Options
    dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    So far the SS seems to be the main concentration. Is an LS and LT going to be provided in 2006 with the luxury package on the LT that includes sunroof? Does anybody know?
  • Options
    madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    Congratulations! The black ones look terrific--I can't wait to hear back from you after you've picked it up. I'm sure your dad is having a great time driving it.
    I love my 04 very much. It's a wonderful car for the driver and passengers. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours and never regret the choice.
  • Options
    The Subaru Forester was on my short list before I bought the Maxx. I'm sure the new Forester is better than the original platform, but I got a chance to ride in the original Forester today. Absolutely no comparison with the Maxx. The Maxx has much more room (expected, but I didn't know it would be so noticable) and is far more comfortable.

Again, I'm happier and happier with this car.
  • Options
    loisnorthernilloisnorthernil Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Malibu Maxx. Noticed grinding in wheel and brake area. took it to a chevie garage and was told the strip bearings are worn! This is a new car, well one year old. Can bearings go that fast? It is still under warranty, but I am the only one who drives it and never go far. I have 11, 500 miles on it. Love the car, but sure is creepy to think it is falling apart on me.
  • Options
    prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Any further information on what strip bearings might be? I've never heard the term.
  • Options
    islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Have been purchasing my fuel at BJs and it contains 10% ethanol. Have a 2004 Maxx LT and it has just a very slight rough idle. Really not too concerned about it. The car has a May build date that e2helper gave to me months ago. Thanks to him all of the issues have been addressed, replacement of fuel tank (warped) cause of low fuel indicator and the air bag light issue, replaced a module etc. Car has been running great and am scheduled to take it in for it's first oil change (16% left on the DIC) and it's first mechanical NYS inspection. Have 4700 mi on it. As you can see have not exactly went around the world. Split the driving between the Maxx and wife's Buick RDV. Question to e2, could the slight rough idle be caused by the ethanol in the gas and should I ask them to do a computer scan to see if it has all the updates etc TSB or anything else. Not going to mention the head rests. I switched the rears to the fronts and that worked for us. The sunshade issue has not been one for me. In the summer I close them and in the winter they are open. Average MPG is 24, 32/34 HWY.
  • Options
    I just found out that my car (which I still haven't met) has a beige pin stripe down both sides. I'm not so sure I'm going to like the look of it. I actually chose the black color to simplify the lines of the vehicle. How hard is it to have a pin stripe removed? Will it damage or alter the paint/finish?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    most pinstripes are applied by the dealer...the ends are sealed with a clear coat so they will not peel back.....using a hair dryer or heat gun....they can usually be removed fairly easy, there should not be any damage to the paint or finish......wondering if you ask the dealer to remove it for you if they will????

beige on black???? what color is the interior???...take a look at it before you decide to have it taken off.....and yes..still owe ya pics of the dash wood inserts over the HVAC and stereo contorls...
  • Options
    Yeah, I can't wait to see your pics, because, on the website, the colors don't seem to quite match up. The aftermarket looks a little lighter/more red. Do you find that to be the case?

As for the dealer removing the stripe, they're 5 hours away. My Dad's dealership may be able to do it, though. My interior is neutral (to match my two Chinese pugs). Maybe I'll love it, who knows.
  • Options
    nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Although, a lot of dealers have the pinstripe actually painted on, so you better check with the dealer first, before you start messing with it. I don't know about Chevrolets...but....all the Caddy dealers stripes are painted on (in the So. Jersey area)..I know this,because the pinstriper is a friend of mine, and always does my vehicles.
  • Options
    madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    Do you have the beige interior? If so, I think the pinstripes will look great. I had them on my 1982 (!) dark green/blue cavalier hatchback (my first new car) and it was snazzy looking. That car was very dark, sort of a black-jade color.
  • Options
    the burlwood swirl pattern is slightly different...even my digital shows it slightly redder..or lighter....but is is really close.....I will try to get them posted this afternoon....I asked for the OEM...as it wasnt listed on their site....exoticwoodash....it turned out to be the synthetic light burlwood
  • Options
    Although I wouldn't pay one cent more for pinstripes, I would mess with trying to take one off. I think you could get into a real expensive mess.
  • Options
    indisweindiswe Member Posts: 10
    I noticed this problem after something wierd happened starting my 04 LS Maxx. What happened was that all my radio presets between FM1 and FM2 were rearranged... And now I have noticed that on some radio stations, I can't adjust the auto volume, and with some CDs too. But, I could find another station, change the autovolume, then go back. But it's not supposed to be like this... Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Options
    doombertdoombert Member Posts: 8
    I have an '04 Maxx as well and haven't had any problems with my auto volume, but I had noticed an issue with the radio presets being mixed up. Although, my issue ended up being because I used the other key remote to unlock the car. I didn't realize at first that the radio presets were specific to the key remote.
    This doesn't sound like the issue you are having, but just thought I would mention it.
  • Options
    Well, my entire family says they like the stripe. Plus, it'll set me apart from the other black Maxx cruising around Burlington.....so, I guess I will leave it on. Will be adding mud flaps and extra wood trim. My Dad says the mud flaps don't look like they fit the fender very well, though (in pictures he's seen). Doesn't sound like anyone here had that problem?
  • Options
    have the OEM contoured ones on my car...you can see the fit on the website.....easy to install....have to remove the rear wheels to mount them however....didnt get the pics of the wood trim posted...computer problems..will try again tonight.....if you do it..just insure some one holds them in place flush against the fender..when you are marking and drilling.....and then securing with the screws.....they fit fine
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I had flaps installed by dealer at time of purchase. I am pleased with the fit and the look.
  • Options
    billbbillb Member Posts: 14
    I have been reading these boards for 15 months now with only one short post about the great reliability of my Outback that I just traded in with 194K on it. I almost bought an '04 Maxx LS a year ago March. I'm glad I waited. I just drove an '05 Maxx LT with sunroof and XM home today. It has a 2/05 build date so I should be good.

I want to thank everyone for very helpful posts. You (and my $3500 GM points) helped make my Maxx buying decision easier. Here's to 194K Maxx miles.

Best feature so far: the headphones in the back seat with the XM. The kids forgot about the DVD player when they found out that they have their own radio.
  • Options
    welcome to the forum..lots of helpful people here....my maxx website here.....

http://home.att.net/~p.oswald/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Visiting the Audi forum, they claim the A3, designed for premium fuel, will run on regular but with reduced performance.

I wonder if the Maxx has any kind of automatic knock detection system so, if you get a bad batch of gas, the engine will adjust its timing to prevent detonation ?
  • Options
    I believe so Kurt. The V6 engine has a knock sensor for each cylinder bank (1-3-5 and 2-4-6). Don't know if something like A3 has something for each cylinder or something.
  • Options
    12251225 Member Posts: 4
    In an earlier discussion I read about this problem and the solution to it. I see ithe message now every time the car is started, and the gas cap is on O.K. Is this a problem the dealer needs to fix or is there a way the car owner can stop the message from coming on all of the time?
  • Options
    Hi,
    If you own a Maxx then TSB #04-08-49-025 might apply. Other related complaints would be that fuel gauge doesn't read Full when fuel tank filled. You might also see a Service Engine Soon Indicator occassionally.

I guess it could always be something else. Do you know when your vehicle was built?

In any case you probably want to have dealer take a look at it. Likely they will find a fault code in engine controller to confirm your observation.
  • Options
    12251225 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you, e2helper, and my 04 Maxx has a build date of June 04. I have an appointment with my dealer for an oil change on Friday, and just wanted to know what to tell them. Thanks.
  • Options
    With June 2004 build date you are right in the correct timeframe that the TSB would be applicable. Often it ends up requiring fuel tank replacement so if you can avoid filling up gas tank before taking it to dealer it will require them to siphon out less fuel.

This would definitely take longer than a simple oil change :(
  • Options
    ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    A new gas tank, or a PCM upgrade? :confuse:
  • Options
    I beleive the problem concerns the sending unit inside the tank...the unit cant be replaced any other way other than replacing the entire gas tank..
  • Options
    ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    Not so. They replaced my sending unit, and it resolved nothing. All problems were resolved, after they replaced the tank. Since then, a new PCM upgrade is listed on GM Calibration website, that is a fix for the fuel guage not reading full. They may have come up with a software fix for the problems created by the warped gas tanks.
  • Options
    balloo814balloo814 Member Posts: 16
    Ok, I have looked but cannot find the posting that talked about the rear sunlight shades. I found post 3246 that references a previous post and I cannot seem to pinpoint what I am looking for. :confuse:
    Here is my dillema... I had a couple of friends in the back of the maxx and of course they were playing with the shades. Now one of them does not retract all of the way and the other one will not stay closed.
    Is there a TSB that covers this? How long will it take Chevy to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance...
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    post 4331 should solve your problems balloo814
  • Options
    balloo814balloo814 Member Posts: 16
    Maxx4me,

Thanks for replying, but are you telling me that I need to wait untill post #4331 occurs or was that a typo? ;)

Thanks again,
    balloo
  • Options
    Under the Chevrolet Malibu Title but that TSB won't address the unspooled shade.

04-08-110-004A: Rear Sunshade Comes Unhooked
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    he, he...just type in 4331 into the Go To MSG# search box at the top of the MALIBU page.
  • Options
    tallmugtallmug Member Posts: 10
    I just drove home a used white '04 LT. I am tall, with a wife and two kids, and love the large back seat and other family friendly features of the car I have a few questions, and wondered if you guys could help me out.

First, when I accelerate hard (ie freeway entrance) I hear a noise from the engine that I can only describe as metalic bubbles. No, I am not crazy. Anyone have any idea.

Second, the previous owner lost the owners manual. Anyone know where I could get a replacement (other than the dealership.)

Third, what is the best way to clean the Ultrasuede?

And fourth, what grade of fuel is recommended for this car.

Thanks for you help.
  • Options
    I can comment on a few:

2: Since you are an owner you should register at www.mygmlink.com and can view PDF file of your owner manual. If you want to pay for a new copy then go to publisher's website www.helminc.com

3. Owner manual has recommendation page 5-80

4. Regular unleaded 87 octane
  • Options
    1: Pinging? If this is the ONLY time you hear it, and for a short duration, not to worry - normal.