Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    ..or you could go to post #4481 on the Malibu page for my report ;) The search engine on Edmunds does work very well.
  • hickorydhickoryd Member Posts: 57
    Bought my bug deflector from Auto Seattle:
    Focus/Benevento - Form-Fit Hood Deflector - smoke - 2004-up Chevrolet Malibu / Malibu Maxx
    ID : hd5H04 UPS / FedEx "oversized", Shipping - $17.50
    Price: $69.95.
    It changes (improves in my opinion) the front-end appearance.
    Easy install. Been through the full-service car wash about 5 times. No problems.
  • schnooks2schnooks2 Member Posts: 6
    if we are taking long trips and have luggage, a pack-n-play, stroller, etc... just doesn't look like nearly as much room as SUV type...

what are your experiences with the Maxx as a family car.

Thanks.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    for a family of 3...2-adulta-one child with car seat..i think the maxx is plenty big...you can fold the larger rear seat flat if you need more cargo room...the rear panel comes out...and allows plenty of room....you can get two large suit cases standing on end...I would think a pack and play crib..folds into a carriing case?..and a stroller in the back without problem.....but that is my guess...I have had two large suitcases a hardback folding back...and two smaller backs in the back without folding seats down....
  • maxamillionmaxamillion Member Posts: 1
    We have owned a demo 04 MAXX since March. Just returned from a 2000 mile trip to the Grand Canyon. We are a family of 3 with 3 Dogs. For a family of 3, the MAX is MAXED for cargo. Gas Milage was outstanding on my trip, with a 30 + average driving from the mountains of Colorado through New Mexico, Utah, Arizona at fast speeds! We also had a bike rack on the back.
    I am looking for a way to mount a luggage rack on top for future trips. I'm off to New Mexico tomorrow (with the dogs and golf clubs) so we are taking our Tahoe.
  • MichiganMikeMichiganMike Member Posts: 1
    Schnooks2,

My wife has a '05 Tahoe and I have an '05 Maxx. Although having the Full SUV is great, the mileage offsets some of the benefits of the size. We have an 11 mo. old and have used the Maxx to transport all of the gear that you mentioned (Pack 'N Play, Stroller, Diaper Bag, Overnight Bag) to and from Grandma & Grandpa's many times. (As long as I take my golf clubs out). I drive the Maxx daily (to & from work) because of its gas mileage. Although you won't get as much cargo room as a Full Size SUV, it allows you the cargo flexibility that a standard mid-size family sedan doesn't have. My good friend that lives in Chicago also has a Maxx and uses it extensively to transport his family (Dog instead of Baby). He says that he wouldn't have any other car in the 'Urban Jungle'.

The Bottom Line...

The Maxx as a family car is great and I would recommend to everyone. This is one 30+ crowd that I'm glad to be a part of. :-)

Regards,

Mike
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    The Maxx is unusual in that it has a large amount of legroom in the rear as well as adjustable seats; works fine for ferrying people to school, work, etc.. Watch out, though, for a sharp metal shelf under the Driver power seat (an ambitious youngster could kick loose the unprotected wiring for the seat or seatbelt switch.). No problems with the passenger seat.

The actual cargo area is not all that big unless you fold the seats down (they do not fold flat). You could get two or at most three large suitcases into the rear cargo with cargo shelf in place. There are under seat heater ducts, but A/C only comes from the center dash vents.

Also, the Maxx has a pretty big turn radius - 41 feet. On many city streets that means U-turning is not a one step process.

The DVD entertainment system in the back would be a nice touch for kids provided they enjoy the same program.
  • maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    I have been reading this forum for a while and love all the comments. We purchased our first Maxx in Feb 2004 and the troubles started right away with the sunshades not staying closed, they replaced the headliner and that did not help, they later put in new fasteners and fixed that, the AC fan had to be replaced, then the rear DVD and the stereo a total of 4 times before they put an 05 stereo in and fixed that problem, there was also an oil leak from the exhaust manifold at 6800 miles, and again at 13200, there was a problem with the window trim, rotors, a headlight assembly had to be replaced when it filled full of water, and the heated seat started turning itself on whenever it wanted.We filed with New Motor Vehicle board starting in Nov to get a repurchase of this car so we could purchase a new one. It took us 6 months before we were able to get GM to agree there was a problem and agree to repurchase this car. We loved the car but not the problems. We took the money they gave us and purchased a 2005 Maxx LT fully loaded, as the last one was too, and are confident that we will not have all these problems again. The Maxx is the greatest car on 4 wheels as far as I am concerned, I love the new features I got on the 05, spoiler, wiper, and airbags. I already had the windows tinted and this one has pinstripes very cool. The guys at the dealer did not know anything about the Maxx being phased out as the sales have been really good and Maxx has recently won several awards. So only time will tell.
    Well, I guess a lot of folks buy cars for the image, and/or as "personality statements". Some buy them for what kind of transportation and practicality they offer.

To the folks who had the "dud" Maxx...sorry to hear it took so long to resolve the problems, but glad you got a good one at last.
    I still remember some Malibus at the Clinic I attended had problems far worse than mine.

At least with an ethical "used car" dealer (there are a few of 'em out there) one can do research and find out the history of a car.
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    The day my wife told me she was expecting our third, she also said she wanted a station wagon with AC. I got the 73 Ford country squire that night with a 400 engine, I too got 8 miles to a gallon. We never towed but went everywhere with 3 kids and all the gear. We drove that for 10 years. I could never parallel park that beast but she could.
    I would have liked the Maxx to have had a squared off back like a true station wagon. My grand kids love the "skylights" as they call them and I can carry all the gear they need when they are with me.
    I see more and more Maxx's around town. More than the ford 500 or ford freestyle.
    I think gas will still go much higher and the Maxx may attract more buyers who want more carrying capacity than a sedan and ease of access to the rear cargo area and better gas mileage than the SUV's. Time will tell.
  • ml83ml83 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone else run into this:
    When I run the AC using "outside air", it just doesn't do the job -- air comes out lukewarm, not cool.
    When I run AC on "recirculate", while it does a nice job cooling, I get a musty odor. I keep the inside pretty clean, but I suppose the staleness is inevitable if no fresh air is being brought in.
    So my choices are: poor cooling on "outside air", or stale air on "recirculate." This is a 2005 Maxx with 12000 miles on it.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    yep, that's just the way ALL cars are. Think about all the yucky stuff our cars are subjected to, that accumulates in the air vents: dirt, pollen, mold spores, space dust from dissintegrating meteors, etc. I highly recommend you cut out a furnace filter and slide it into your behind-the-glove-compartment cabin air filter slot. It will help keep those meteors out of your compartment. ;)
    ditto...several previous posts about this will help you install the filter.
  • ml83ml83 Member Posts: 6
    Nope, that's not how all my cars have been, unless my olfactory nerves are improving in my old age. I have not had this problem in other recent cars -- an Olds Intrigue, Olds Cutlass, several Ford Tauruses. Maybe they had factory filters. But I'll try the filter installation, thanks.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I've heard of a fix to this problem in other cars. Park your car and leave it running. Turn the AC on and put it in fresh air mode. Then turn the temp knob as hot as it will go, put the fan on high, and close whatever vents your car allows you to. Then get out of the car and take a can of Lysol disinfectant and spray some into the fresh air intake area at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. Leave the car running in this manner for about 10 minutes. The high heat will kill the mold that is already growing in the ventilation ducts and on the evaporator and the lysol will disinfect the air. This should get rid of the musty odor. The Lysol part is optional if the smell is too strong for you. I used the above procedure without Lysol on one of my cars and got rid of the smell.

Adding the air filter is a good idea but it won't keep the problem from reoccurring. In the future, I would suggest that you turn the AC to fresh air mode a few miles from your home and then turn the AC off a few minutes before you get to the house to keep the mold from regrowing. This isn't foolproof but it gives the evaporator time to dry off so mold doesn't have the moisture it needs to grow. Good luck and let me know if this helps you.
  • balloo814balloo814 Member Posts: 16
    How easy is the install on this? I read the directions that were left... Is there any danger of cracking any of the plastic moldings in the area?

thanks
    you can ease the glove box door past its stops one side at a time to put less stress on the door. (the plastic seems very flexible and not prone to cracking).

Whatever filter you put in there, its base / frame needs to be sturdy to avoid being pulled into the heater fan. That is why I added a plastic grille under the filter to support it (that can be cut to fit from the plastic screen included with WEB filters).
  • tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    now i regret buying my 2005 Malibu Base Sedan and i feel like i should have got the Maxx. it has more features and space for a little extra buck. and yes i could have certainly used the big trunk of the Maxx for getting my bike inside even if i had to fold the seats. i hate putting my bike on the bike rack on the trunk of my Malibu sedan. and Maxx even has V6 which i dont really need but i wouldnt mind having. and now the Employee pricing. it just keeps getting worse for me. i hope you guys have a good time with your Maxx. i dont have any problems with my car but the Maxx is more popular and stylish. and i have a bit of bad news, i think GM will stop making the Maxx version after the year of 2007.
    thanks- Tiger10.
    Edmunds had an article a bit back that mentioned the Maxx is history after 2007. Possibly, Chevy feels the HHR is a better bet in the sport wagon slot (IMHO the Audi and Mazda hatches will run the HHR over)
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Possibly, Chevy feels the HHR is a better bet in the sport wagon slot
    Puh-leeze! I'd wouldn't touch an HHR with a 10-foot towbar. :D The Maxx is so much more practical.

(IMHO the Audi and Mazda hatches will run the HHR over)
    I agree. If there is no Maxx years from now, and if I don't have a ton of GM Card rebate $$, I'd probably look at a Mazda 6 or 3 hatch. Pontiac Vibe would be nice if they'd put more of an engine in it.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Chevy had better get a 6 cylinder option into the HHR if this is what they think is going to fill the Maxx's shoes. (nevermind the looks, where I think the Maxx wins hands down)
  • hgr3inokhgr3inok Member Posts: 28
    My wife and I drove from Norman, Oklahoma to Chicago and back three weeks ago in her Maxx. We drove ~2K miles and averaged a hair over 29 mpg (actual, not DIC). We were able to easily transport a couple of large items that we were taking to our grandchildren. I've been a car freak/snob for >40 years. The flexibility, design and build quality of this car is very impressive. The current Maxx may be a high-water mark for American vehicle design and execution. And, based on our purchase price, it is easily the best value in its class.
  • tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    hey HGR3INOK i live in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and have a Malibu and i know what you mean. my Malibu itself has more than enough cargo space and with a Maxx there would be plenty of space. and by the way its nice to know that we are neighbors[OKC-NORMAN]. GO OU. ( i guess yu are an OU fan).
    thanks- Tiger10
  • crosby1crosby1 Member Posts: 23
    I have heard that it is good to turn off the A/C a couple minutes before stopping the car to dry out the vents. This supposedly helps prevent the condensation that may cause mildew and mold in ducts.
  • renterrenter Member Posts: 9
    I have just rented a Malibu Maxx, 2004 I think. The horn honks every time I lock it using the fob, and I am becoming somewhat unpopular at the hotel where I am staying. I want to change the setting to a light flash only, but there is no owners manual in the car. Can anyone tell me how to change it?
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    From Owner's manual:
    You need to have a driver's information center to do this. It should be near the radio. Press "Menu" button to scroll through options. Press "enter" to select desired option.
    The following options can be accessed in order by pressing the MENU button anytime while the vehicle is in on. Press this button to scroll through each option. All of the personalization options may not be available on your vehicle. Only the options available will be displayed on your DIC.

Oil Life Monitor Reset
    Units Selection (English/Metric)
    Remote Start Capability
    Horn Chirp During Remote Keyless Entry Locking
    Horn Chirp During Remote Keyless Entry Unlocking
    Exterior Light Flash During Remote Keyless Entry Locking or Unlocking
    Delayed Locking
    Automatic Vehicle Unlocking: Specific Doors
    Automatic Vehicle Unlocking: When Key is Off or When Shift To Park
    Exterior Perimeter Lighting During Remote Keyless Entry Unlock
    Security System Passive or Remote Keyless Entry Arming
    Select Language: (English, French, Spanish or German)
    When the desired option is reached, use the ENTER button to toggle between the modes of that option. To make a selection, press the MENU button again.

If no selection is made within ten seconds, the display will revert back to the previous information displayed.

The MENU mode is exited when the INFO button is pressed, a ten second time period has elapsed, the ignition is turned to off or the end of the MENU list is reached.

The following display messages may appear on your vehicle's audio display by pressing the MENU button:

LOCK HORN
    If your vehicle has remote keyless entry, this feature which allows the vehicle's horn to chirp every time the LOCK button on the remote keyless entry transmitter is pressed, can be enabled or disabled. When LOCK HORN appears on the display, press the ENTER button to move between ON and OFF. When you have made your choice, press the MENU button to record your selection. The initial setting from the factory is OFF.

UNLOCK HORN
    If your vehicle has remote keyless entry, this feature which allows the vehicle's horn to chirp every time the UNLOCK button on the remote keyless entry transmitter is pressed, can be enabled or disabled. When UNLOCK HORN appears on the display, press the ENTER button to move between ON and OFF. When you have made your choice, press the MENU button to record your selection. The initial setting from the factory is OFF.
  • maxx10maxx10 Member Posts: 16
    Do you have a number or address/e-mail address to the people that you helped you get your car bought back?
    The Epsilon chassis seems pretty good per IIHS testing, but am surprised the roof deforms as much as it does in side impacts. I realize crumple zones are good but in side impact there is less room to "crumple".
    Pity the 2005 side air bag is not retrofit-able to 2004's.

I am curious, though as to what role that big magnesium Dash support does for side-side strength (you can see this if you pull down the glove box door and view the HVAC filter chamber)
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Called GM today to confirm our vehicle's in-service date is shown as the date we received the vehicle (even though it was driven by the dealership for 5,000 miles or so before we bought it). Yes, confirmed.

Question: How many MILES should the warranty be in effect-- just the standard 36,000, or 41,000 (36,000 + 5,000)? The lady on the phone showed that the warranty was good through 36,100. I have no idea where this number came from. I had assumed it should be just the 36,000 but the '36,100' has me wondering what is going on.
  • renterrenter Member Posts: 9
    problem solved thanks to doombert and e2helper in post # 2135 and # 2136 on malibu maxx "problems & solutions" page
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Warranty starts with the date and mileage the vehicle is first put in service (when it is first sold as a new vehicle) If the dealership entered the information correctly. I've seen many vehicles with '0' as the delivery mileage when this cannot be correct. Someone had to have driven the car at some point before sale. (Pre-delivery inspection, factory test-drive....) Most cars have about 20 miles or so when sold. If the vehicle came from another dealer to be sold here (aka a 'dealer trade'), it could have 400 or more miles.

I'm not sure about the 5k miles your vehicle was driven before you bought it. Awhile back, they had the 24 hour test drive deal. Maybe your car was involved with that. I'm not sure how that would affect the warranty.
    You may want to call the dealership to clarify the mileage deal.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    In side impacts, the b pillar is designed to transfer as much energy as possible into the roof and floorpan since they can handle more deformation then the side of the car without injuring the occupants. It's better to see the roof deformation then the b pillar caving in. So I would just look at the roof as doing what it was designed to do.

I believe the dash support helps as a more solid place for the dash to fasten securely to, thus leading to a quieter more rattle free interior. It also helps strengthen the structure in front and side impacts. The bar resists backwards movement of the dash in a frontal collision and sideways movement of the front doors in a side impact.
    Maxx10 I am not sure what state you are in I am in Calif. and I went through the New Motor Vehicle Board in Sacramento. The people there are incredible and they do the job for free. I was referred to them by the BBB as the first step to take. It took 6 months to get GM to agree to do a buyback. The phone number is 916-445-1888. I hope this helps you let me know if you need any more information.
    Yes, I think you are correct - the warranty is supposed to start, date AND mileage, from the in-service date.

The car was not used as a friends and family demo, unless I was given bad information. Supposedly it was driven by the parts mgr. Either way, the type of use shouldn't matter.

I didn't want to call the dealer, but I may need to do so, since the lady at Chevy customer assistance didn't know much about how this works. I kinda thought she should!
    Thanks for the explanation. Well, it seems that stirring the pot is totally legitimate in this case. The dealer should have entered the actual vehicle mileage - somewhere around 5,200 - *not* 100.

Yes, I did receive a price about $1,000 lower on this vehicle than I could have gotten on a brand-new vehicle with exact equipment. We got $1500 below the GM employee price (last fall) when other dealers were quoting me about $500 below GM employee price via the web. I was satisfied with the lower price / higher mileage tradeoff.

But it still seems I'm entitled to more warranty coverage than what they set me up for.
    It is interesting that the cars that did best in Side impact tests have relatively little B pillar deformation - Audi and VW in particular. It may be because Audi and possibly VW use seam welding .vs. spot welding in the Epsilon. Seam welding holds the metal parts together better, but costs more.

The Malibu went up a notch in Side safety because its new side impact airbag helps cushion its B- pillar deformation (you can see results at IIHS site). There was also a trim change in the doors to help side impacts (my early Maxx has neither - another reason never to buy first year cars).
    In this weeks' issue , BW claims the Malibu and Maxx are disadvantaged because GM, in a quest to keep costs down and maximize interior room, made the Malibu and Maxx with "slab sided" exteriors.

Guess what other cars have "slab sides"? The fantastically popular Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger.

Supposedly the 2008 Malibu is radically different. No idea yet as to how, though.
  • christinadchristinad Member Posts: 34
    has anyone watched a movie on their dvd player with the car off? I wonder if it would be too much of a drain on the battery? I want to have a little personal drive-in movie date soon.
    Let me know!
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Don't have a DVD player, but can't believe that any healthy battery would be drained by a DVD playing for several hours. Look at how long a typical portable CD player runs off 4 alkaline batteries. Now compare the capacity of those batteries with a car battery.
  • gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    Well, that could work to your advantage. Instead of saying "Sorry honey, we're out of gas..." You can say "Sorry honey, the DVD player ran down the battery..." Either way, the AAA tow truck will take at least a couple of hours to find you for a "jump start"! :blush:

You could always start the car after about an hour... or take your chances! If you plan to do this often, an Optima yellow top battery would be a wise investment because you can run them down farther than most standard car batteries and still have enough juice left to start the car when the show is over. ;)
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I really surprised myself today by becoming a malibu Maxx owner. We found a Maxx LT with every option except the engine block heater, and a sticker price of $29,285, but paid just $24,003.35 plus tax and license! We really don't have a use or the DVD player, but with that kind of price, we didn't think it worthwhile to look for one without it.

I knew the Malibu Maxx existed and had very briefly looked at one at the auto show in 2004, and would notice the aluminum rear control arms on Malibus driving down the freeway, think it unusual for Chevrolet to spend that much to make a car, but had otherwise not given it a second thought.

I was preparing to sell my SUV today, so took all of my work items, including my 15' ladder which collapses to 55," out and put most of it into my wife's hatchback, a 2002 Mercedes C230. That car is a bit too small for my needs, but then I realized that a somewhat larger hatchback would be ideal. It has the cargo capacity I need, and is a very nice (even fancy in some ways) car, far nicer than the photos on the web make it look.

I drive 30,000 or more miles per year for business, so switching from an SUV rated at 14/19 MPG to the Malibu Maxx rated at 22/20 MPG will also save real money. I had a new SUV on order, but canceled the order.

My last Chevy was a 1996 Impala SS, which had numerous quality problems, but this new car seems wonderful, and Brovo to GM for making such a good and useful car.

We also looked at the Mazda 6, but it has the high window sills some designers like, and which I hate, as they make the inside ofthe car feel small and closed in, and hurt outward visibility.
  • madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    congratulations on your new MAXX. You'll be very happy with the mileage and the roomy interior. It's a pleasure to drive and handles very well. I also agree that it looks better than the photos appear to.
  • hickorydhickoryd Member Posts: 57
    Just returned from a 4,000 mile trip driving Expy and pulling a travel trailer. Had my sister with us for 3 days. She has a new Outback. Tried to show her what a Maxx looks like but, as expected, we saw nary a one. This was around Sedona, Flagstaff and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. In fact, during entire journey, recall seeing only 2.

I'm giving up hope that GM will ever sell enough for Maxx to suceed. What a pity! Such a versatile vehicle.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I just saw photos of the upcoming Saab 9-3 wagon (the same platform as the Malibu, Pontiac G6, and one of the Opel models), so maybe Chevy will replace it with a Malibu wagon. Also, more people will know about the Maxx after visiting a Chevrolet showroom during the employee pricing sale period. It will be interesting to see the final sales results.
    Give it a bit more time. Last summer I saw very few and this year they are everywhere. The dealer told me sales have been good so we will see. I get a lot of comments on mine and love to tell people about what a great car it is. Even had to get GM to buyback the first one and turned right around and purchased a newer one.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Actually, I"m starting to see a lot of them here in upstate NY lately, including a lot of "my twin": Silver LS Maxxes. It could end up being a late bloomer.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Drove through my dealer's lot looking for an HHR. Lots of 05 cars have moved since June (funny, because I think it represents a price increase) but most of the Maxx's look like they're still there from February. :cry:
    and Edmunds news, as GM is killing the Maxx after 2007. Get them while you can!

The gist seems to be the HHR and Saab wagon will do just fine as replacements for the Maxx. IMHO the HHR is ugleeeee :cry: , while the Saab holds promise :blush: .
  • minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    Two weeks ago (mid-July 05) my dealer still had an 04 Maxx LT sitting on the lot. Sad!