Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tng0802tng0802 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    My husband and I are interested in purchasing an LX 2WD after Christmas. Our local dealership seems to stock the top end models more. They have a handful of LXs, but all of them are AWD. Our budget is tight, and the 2WD is the only way I believe we're going to get our payment where we want it. So, how do I get the 2WD I want in the color I want at the price I want? I'm good on negotiating the price I want, I have my truecar number, and if we don't get at least that, I'm walking, but if they don't have a 2WD, how do I get them to order one for me?

This is the first new-new car I will have ever bought, so I'm not quite sure how to go about it. Thanks!
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Read my prior posts on How and when to buy a car Online or buy Phone. I live in N.Y. so i know what your saying about limited 2wd CRV there just are not many on the lots if any. If you are a good negotiater like you say you will have no problem getting the best price in your area.....................Brian

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

Use this Formula to Figure out starting Price to offer the Dealer

1- Vehicles Invoice price.......... you can find price on Edmunds

2- Minus Dealers Hold-Back on Vehicle........... find on Edmunds

3- Minus any Manufactor/ Cash back Incentives.

4- After your agreed price with dealership your Out the door price is figured out.

1- Destination Charge = $ 830 Not Negotiable must pay

2-Doc/ Fee's ............ Totally Negotiable Tell dealer that Doc fee's are a deal breaker. to take it off or adjust off agreed sale price..

3- Your States taxes and DMV fee's will be applied. And this is your out the door price.........

4- DO not take any thing the dealer will be trying to sell you outside of these prices i just mentioned unless you consult someone who could advise you.. Especially any Extended warranties etc... Any Warranty can be purchased after you buy your car.

There are alot of people in this forum who will help you. read thru some of the post and just ask what ever questions that arise.............Brian

• neatoneato Member Posts: 3
    I also took advantage of the dealer's flex cash option. It wasn't really clearly explained to me and I think it's because dealers don't want too many people to know about it, but every month dealers get a certain amount of this "flex cash" that they can use if a buyer finances through Honda. Originally I was going to finance through my credit union, but agreed to go through Honda for the extra money. The way it works is it is counted as part of your down payment. So if you put down $10,000, your down payment will read $10,500.

As another poster pointed out, their rates seem to be higher and the finance person will try to push a 6-year note. So if you finance $10,000 at a rate of 4.5% over 6-years, Honda has made back the $500 they gave to you and almost an extra $1,000 more.

The key to getting the best long-term deal is to finance as much as you can afford to pay back in a year or two, assuming you qualify for low rates both with Honda (which seems to be around 4%) and your bank or credit union (maybe 1-2%). Using the same example, financing $10,000 on a 2-year note at 4.5%, you're paying about $475 in finance charges, which means essentially Honda has paid your finance charges with that $500 up front. But of course, if you can get a loan at a substantially lower rate through your bank of credit union, eg 1.5%, let's add the $500 that Honda would have taken off your purchasing price to your total amount financing, $10,500. Now finance that over 2 years at 1.5% is $10,664. So you're paying less in financing charges but you're paying that extra $164 yourself.

If you have to finance substantially more or your rates are higher, then I'd imagine that $500 here or there doesn't really matter a whole lot and you'd be better off going through a credit union or bank. Your rate would be lower, which would mean much more savings on finance charges over the long term. But again, if you're not financing too much and can pay it off in a short amount of time, I'd say let Honda pay all the finance charges! The website I used when preparing my own finances is: http://www.autoloancalculator.com.

Good luck, hope this was helpful.
  • asanka_dhmasanka_dhm Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2013 LX-2WD for $22,380 including destination, document fee, dealer accessories from a dealer in Frisco Tx on 12/21. My dealer said AWD is about $800-900 more, but never tried to negotiate it down since I was okay with the 2WD. Hope that helps.
  • doc1948doc1948 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. I understand what they are trying to do.
  • chris343chris343 Member Posts: 8
    McDavid Frisco? Could you share the dealer's name and the salesman's information?

Thanks,
    I thought it's tricks from dealership...
    This one does not include tax? So the OTD price would be around 24,000. Correct?
  • asanka_dhmasanka_dhm Member Posts: 2
    Yes it was from David McDavid Frisco and OTD with tax, inventory tax, Lic, TTL, inspection etc was about $23970. I think I bought at or about invoice and they kept saying they can't do it, and actually let me walk out. Then followed me back to my car and said they would make the deal. My advantage was that I had an email offer from Frank Kent in FTW for $22,650.
    Thanks for your info. However, even I brought the previous post on this forum and a quote from another dealer. McDavid Frisco refuse to match the price and the attitude is rude. I do not know why.
  • bryanl1bryanl1 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    I'm in the market for one. With the end of the year coming up.

What should I be looking to pay for the following

2012 CR-V EX-L with NAV. I see some MSRP prices of about 29k

Also any reason to go for the 2013 instead of the 2012 ? I think i'd much rather save the money if there isn't that many differences between the two.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.
  • bluspiderbluspider Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2012
    Very enlightening to read all your experiences here ! Thank you all.

Received Internet selling price of $26,736 from a NJ dealer. With dest & handling, NJ tax, registration, documentation ($300) etc. OTD is about 29.9K. what do you folks think? How far can I negotiate?
  • chhorachhora Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    I just bought a 2013 CRV EXL AWD (no RES, no NAV) on 12/23.
    Following is the deal I got:

Price of car including destination: $26416.51
    Document Fee: $250
    Tax: 1799.99
    Title Fee: 15
    Registration Fee: 18.3
    Flex Cash: -500
    Ohio out of the door price: $28,000.00
  • vin123vin123 Member Posts: 1
    Can you share the dealer name and the city where you got this deal please?
    Yes this looks like a great deal.
  • avacado12avacado12 Member Posts: 8
    I asked NJ dealer to sell the car at 26500 included des. and they refused to give me the offer.
    John Hinderer Honda, Heath, OH.
    edited December 2012
    Check out listing of N.J. dealers i posted earlier. Auto sport , Vip, Hillside Honda , Dch Old bridge honda , etc... Let us know how you make out. You will make your best deal the last 2 days of this month.. read my prior postings on how to buy by phone or online.................... Brian

Thanks, Brian!
    The best OTD so far for ex-l is 30K and no one wants to selling the car lower than $27500+ TTL.
    Also asked LX AWD; no dealer in NJ is willing to lower price to $25000....
    There should have enough supply for current demand based on emunds inventory. Do not know why dealers hold the price so high....
    Honda is famous for this. If you could wait a few more months pricing will get alot better. The price on Accords and CRV's has come down in the last couple of months.. Alot of dealers in the new york/ new jersey area are selling at invoice to 500 below invoice price.

• aj82aj82 Member Posts: 3
    Did you have to hard negotiate? What is flex cash? Is it a discount passed on to the customer?
  • jguojguo Member Posts: 49
    Any bought one recently? Please share the purchase price. From the varies online service, it seems $25K + TTL is where it's at right now.
    Got a 2013 CR-V EX FWD from Freeman Honda @ Dallas. OTD price 25803.39 including tax, title, and everything. The best price I've got in Dallas area during the last two weeks. Lute Riley matched the price, but the sales guy make me feel unhappy so I just bought it from Freeman. Car price:23995.00 titling fees 254.50 and taxes 1553.89 for a "drive-out" of 25803.39.

Got a lot from the forum. Hope you can get a good price.

Merry Christmas and happy new year.
    I negotiated with 3-4 dealers over phone and also checked the costco price for the car. Did not have to negotiate too hard.
    Flex cash is $500 cash payment that the dealer (actually Honda) will make on your behalf if you finance with Honda Financial Services. Sales people will not tell you about this so that they can make some profit out of it.
  • rj_99rj_99 Member Posts: 1
    It seems the 2WD is rarely (if ever) in inventory in Seattle. We really don't need the AWD, and for the up-front cost and lower MPG, it seems we should be able to get the 2WD. The dealers are pretty much saying they can't get it, and pushing the AWD.

Folks here seem to regularly be getting significantly below invoice on this and other trims. It seems there is premium for being in Seattle, but even @ $250 for that, it seems that EX-L with 2WD in our color preference (Titanium/Beige, pretty common) should be had for $26,690 + TTL = $29455 OTD.

Does that seem about right? One dealer quoted $26,900 + TTL/installed accessories, but then they're also pushing models here with the "protection" packages because they're already installed on the cars.

Should it be reasonable to get the 2WD in Seattle, and for dealer invoice? Should we even be targeting below invoice for this?
  • jguojguo Member Posts: 49
    The CRV must be in short supply in the SF Bay Area. Dealers are pretty arrogant, many don't even bother to return calls. I may just wait a couple of month and check out the new 2013 RAV4 and 2014 Forester.
  • cft13cft13 Member Posts: 8
    After totaling my car, I have been dealing with several dealership in Tennessee trying to get a CRV EX L mainly because of leather interior and seat warmers.
    Well, after three weeks, I am ready to give up! I am looking at $30,000-32,000 quotes. I was hoping for a deal like $25,000 including everything... Am I asking too much? I have seen some of the posts that sound like good deals in other states. By the way, I am not asking for navigation.

When I saw the price, I asked to change to a 2WD and the salesman said that it would save me alot of money, but the quote was only $1,000 less...
    With $5,000 down, I would finance $28,800 for the 4WD and 27,800 for2WD.
    The payment would be $480 for 60mos.
    I have thought about looking at a used CRV.

I have driven the RAV4 and liked it. The CRV had a better safety rating from what I have seen on line.

So, should I give up on the CRV and go for a RAV4 or keep trying to get a better deal on a CRV? or suggest something else...
    The main thing for me is price, and safety!
  • techie600techie600 Member Posts: 3
    2013 CR-V EX-L, AWD

Here is the deal I got yesterday, hope it helps someone. I'm in Philly area and got the deal from Piazza Honda of Philly

Selling price: $27,018.00
    Taxes: $1,621.08 (@6%)
    Registration & Doc: $222.8
    Total OTD: $28,861.88

I didn't get financing from Honda since he didn't mention anything about FelxCash.
    THANKS! I think our tax in TN is somewhere around 8 1/2% + 2 1/2% Which is state and city. Hopefully, I can make a deal before the year end. I am really tired of being in a rental.
    Did you get navigation or RES?
  • karleckkarleck Member Posts: 3
    You might want to look at Economy Honda in Chattanooga. They have prices online and they dropped a couple of hundred off their lowest price when I bought in August. Also, I live in Nashville and they actually delivered the CRV EX-L FWD to my front door. They were going to charge me $200 for delivery, but I got them to drop another $100 off the sticker price, so the delivery netted a $100 cost (with a full tank of gas). I never even walked into the dealership.
  • techie600techie600 Member Posts: 3
    No I didn't get Navi or Res. Go to dealership and you can make deal before year end.
    edited December 2012
    Fianance through honda.
    OTD $25000-$500 at NJ
    Hope this helps!
    Congrats ! finally you got it for $24500. can you please tell us who the DLR is?
  • njcrv2njcrv2 Member Posts: 7
    I called 10 dealers in nj and ny this morning. Two price come back $23320 and $23919 (sales price plus des. charge) and the other two told me don't waste time.
    can you tell nj dealer name?
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    in suburbs of chicago, $22,572 plus ttl and doc fees.
  • njcrv2njcrv2 Member Posts: 7
    avacado 12,you been post three different OTD price for 2013 RC-V LX AWD recently,ie 23000, 24000 and now 24500. which one is correct? who is the nj dealer?
    The first time, I went to the dealership was just for a few minutes.
    The second time, the salesperson was busy and I had made an appointment on line.
    The third time, I test drove and they gave me the same price as sticker.
    The fourth time, I went in a spoke with financial rep. That is where I got the number $28,800 finance with $5,000 down. (2013 EXL AWD)
    The fifth time, I switched to the FWD. The price dropped $1,000 $27,800 with $5,000.
    As I walked out, the financial rep mentioned me being in there 5 or 6 times like I was bothering them... I was shocked!
    They called me today and wanted me to look at a 2010 EXL traded in...
    I told them give me a price but I wasn't coming back in unless the price was right.
    I looked at two used today in a nearby town. I just may need to buy in another city or state!
    I forgot to mention, I have an excellent credit score, 0 debt.
    Iwas quoted 1.65% for interest rate for 60 months.
  • ybc1ybc1 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2013 CRV LX with splash guards. Here are the details,

car price $22038 including transportation and doc fees, splash guards

tax (7%) $1543,

title, registration and lemon $31. I am in Atlanta, GA

total $23612.

Borrow $5000 through Honda Finance to get $500 flex cash. I was told I can pay off the loan in a month, but have to pay $25 penalty (almost nothing)+interest.

So in total, I paid $23112 to drive out the car.

Thanks everyone for sharing a lot of useful info.

Hope above details would help others.

Good Luck!
  • larjoranjlarjoranj Member Posts: 3
    Karleck, how'd you handle the paperwork? I drove down to Kennesaw GA from Nashville in November and picked up my Corolla and saved a bundle. Now I'm helping my elderly dad look for a CRV. I've noticed Economy's prices but it would be great to avoid the drive.
  • tmltml4tmltml4 Member Posts: 2
    Paid $21,950 + TTL = $23,647 OTD at Fernandez Honda yesterday. Very pleasant, no pressure experience.

1.9% 60 month 100% Financing from Credit Union
  • karleckkarleck Member Posts: 3
    I simply told them the drive was an inconvenience and they told me that for $200 they would have it delivered. I then talked them down $100 on the price, so the net delivery turned out to be a $100 fee. They didn't have my CRV in stock, but I had to put a deposit down over the telephone. Two days later a couple of guys delivered my CRV to my front door. One was driving my new CRV and the other guy was driving a mini van. I had to opportunity to fully inspect the vehicle before purchasing it and once I checked it over, I literally signed the paperwork in my front driver's seat. The very next day I had all of my signed copies back from the dealer in the mail. It honestly was the smoothest transaction I have ever made in my life and I don't regret dealing with Economy. What's even better was they put their logo info on the back in stickers - so you can quickly and easily peal them off to eliminate any advertising on your new CRV.
  • ben_nben_n Member Posts: 6
    Hi tmltml4 - Can you please mention the name of the credit union where you got 1.9% 60 month 100%. Many thanks!
    Hi there - Can you please mention the name of the credit union where you got 1.9% 60 month 100%. Many thanks!
    Try
    Pen fed there rates last i seen were for 1.49% and up to 72 months. Check them out online. Membership fee is 25 if your not active military

brian

• tmltml4tmltml4 Member Posts: 2
    Southwest Research Center Federal Credit Union.
    Private employer. Special Offer ends Dec 31, 2012. Pre-approval lasts for 45 days.
    Hi cft13 - did you get the 1.65% interest rate from the dealer or a credit union? Could you please mention the name of the dealer or credit union you used. thanks
    Thanks Brian