Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mstronginmstrongin Member Posts: 4
    Decided on a CRV EX-L AWD with NAV. Went to several car buying sites to see what was the best deal. Registered with Costco and AAA and printed out 3 TrueCar certificates. The TrueCar prices were by far the best (27,847, 28,677 and 28,777), but the lowest one was over 50 miles away, while the highest was about 7 miles away. Once the Costco and AAA dealers called me, I asked them about the TrueCar prices and they told me they wouldn't match those prices (they were around $29,450). Went to the True Car dealer close by and they said they could get close to the lowest price only if I agreed to finance the car through them because I could then take advantage of a $500 discount. I had just sold an Audit A4 Avant that I owed outright and decided I didn't want the financing (probably dumb of me since I could have prepaid it after a short time). I offered to pretty much split the difference and got the CRV EX-L AWD with NAV for $28,250. That is about $1,500 below the Edmunds True Car Value and about $1,200 below the Costco and AAA prices. I'm sure that depending on the time of year and the vehicle/color/options you want, different car buying services win out at different times. Bottom line is that doing the research really makes a difference.
  • austin130austin130 Member Posts: 1
    I think I'm going to drive to the dealership and purchase the car. Here are the details:

White CR-V EX 2WD
    Selling Price 23,111.20
    Rebate From Honda 1,250Total Purchase 21,861.20
    Taxable Fees (Estimated) 55.00
    Battery Fee 1.50
    Doc Fee 599.00
    Tax 1,476.30

Net Price 23,993.00
    Trade Payoff
    Cash Deposit .00
    Balance 24,000.00

OTD Price transferring a title - 24,000. What do you think?
  • vj6vj6 Member Posts: 1
    please give me the name of the dealer and city. you got a great price!

thank you

VJ
  • mstronginmstrongin Member Posts: 4
    Did a lot of research and got prices from Edmunds, Cars Direct, TrueCar, AAA and Costco. Called many dealers and found lowest price of $27,887, but it was about 50 miles away. Went to local dealer who said they could only match that price if I took the financing, which I didn't want to do, so settled on $28,250 at South Coast Honda in Costa Mesa, CA. Other dealers where any where from $200 to $1,500 more. Pays to do the research.
  • rich96rich96 Member Posts: 37
    Can you tell me the details of the $1250 rebate? Does everyone get it, or is it a financing rebate?
  • charles_guycharles_guy Member Posts: 55
    maybe can help you out. posted in lease forum week ago. promised car_man i'd hang round for while to help. not much action over there i understand with lousy 00145/000135mf. better buy 0.9interest. i read over here and jus tryin to help

for may honda has loyalty/conquest 500. flexcash it seems max of 750 like april=1250. my area dealers ran out flex last month so did my deal early may

buying push for 500+750=1250 pretax and easy to get 500+500flex=1000. maybe better if you wait but then they say no more flex

1250 was no go for us but got 1000. thats cool cause know honda lease 0 turnin and 1500 damage credit

keep updating us. it helps other buyers and leasers
    agree with other links. dealer exwarranty can be canceled and you'll po the finance guy

cheaper on the web. recommend get 8/120k 0 decuct

when you cancel they probly take it off your last payment or two

good luck. let us know price you payed so you can help the forum here
  • jezasmomjezasmom Member Posts: 1
    We recently bought 2013 CR-V LX AWD with 11miles on it and total cost of the unit was $24,171.94. We only had 2 dealers 50miles from where we live. It was the best price I can get and $800 cheaper than the other dealer. Not sure if I even got a great deal. Would have loved to get the EX one but my husband does not want the leather seats.
    --- I took Honda extended care for 7 years/100000 miles and paid an additional 1650 ---

cancel. buy online. cheap sell price but big exwarr$$$ like big doc fee$$$
    leather only on ex-l not on ex. long drives very hot w/leather. your husband probly has hotbutt like mine on big drives

mass awd lx goes for 22100 right now and saw coupla ex 2wd in ca for 22500 so with 9.25% ca tax on 22100=24144+ = decent deal for awdlx but not great. oregon/washington? no tax = bad deal

whats state tax you got
    doc fee ca max 80 state mandate. been this way for years. then they hit you with state tax :(
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    It is important to understand dealers make a profit off financing, dealer reserve. There are times when a dealer will sell a vehicle for less if they believe they will make a profit on financing.

Astute buyers can use this to their advantage. If the dealer offers financing at or below the rate you can obtain elsewhere, finance with the dealer with the lower selling price.

Even if you are paying cash. If you can save $500 on the sales price letting the dealer finance, better to finance with the dealer. You can always pay the loan within the next week and not have to pay much interest.
  • jim573jim573 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Looking to buy CR-V EX-L FWD in Houston area over the next couple of weeks. Would appreciate any comments on prices paid in the area and experiences with various dealers.

Thanks to all for any help...
  • ucbsupaflyucbsupafly Member Posts: 9
    LA Area
    CR-V LX 2WD
    Received an offer of $21343 through TrueCar.
    $23675 out the door with alarm thrown in at the last minute to seal the deal because the color available on the lot was not our top choice. No back and forth. Overall a fairly pleasant experience. Got 0.9% APR as well.
  • hellounohellouno Member Posts: 5
    CR-V EX AWD
    Got an offer of $23,715 (price including $830 destination)through USAA auto insurance from spreen honda in Loma Linda, CA (southern Cali)
    I was also able to get a San diego dealer here in San Diego to match it, they (The San Diego dealer) say they'll also through in 10% Off of any repair. Note the USAA price automatically includes the destination charge of $830. Also there are supposedly no other hidden cost (besides the normal tax and license). I bought a civic from Spreen 3 years ago and had a top notch experience but the salesman that I dealt with no longer works there. So I'm still debating on the dealer but I plan to make a choice in a day or 2. Side note I asked a mazda dealer to match this price on an 2014 mazda CX-5, AWD touring. He couldn't go a dollar below invoice. Don't think I would've gotten the cx-5 anyway due to its lack of cargo space but just a little FYI.
  • crv_buyercrv_buyer Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    Looking to lease a 2013 CRV EX-L. First went to a dealer that kept me 2 hours and paraded 5 different sales guys into/out of room ... classic run around.

Then went to TrueCar and got quote for $25,6xx which would be a $0 down, $300/mo lease. Going tomorrow. So, if:

Cap Cost is $25,6xx
    Residual at 61% MSRP ($17,308) -- adjusting down from 64% b/c I want 15k mi/yr.
    Money factor of .00145, as read in these forums.
    Lease is 35 months.

What should I pay out of pocket for Tax, Title & Registration -- looks like some people are getting those covered by the dealer. Is that using incentives like Flex Cash and Loyalty?

Thanks for the help!
    ---You can always pay the loan within the next week and not have to pay much interest.---

:)
    --- Then went to TrueCar and got quote for $25,6xx which would be a $0 down, $300/mo lease. Going tomorrow---

lease tough to do with spredsheet. you get that lease let us know where. probly socal or dc area huh

normal lease is 36 mos

friendly dealers may absorb oop with dmv n tax n stuff. go for sign n drive with 35 mos payments

weymouth shows 319 before tax sign n drivex35 2wd

if you get 300+tax times 35 seems like good deal 2wd. awd be 324+tax. whats tax 6 7 10 perr cent

flex seems to be maybe 750 probly 500. loyalty conquest 500 for may crv

good luck
    Hi Charles Guy!

Well you're right, they told me $0 down and $300/mo on the phone, but when I went in, the sales manager couldn't make that work for the price they quoted me ($25,6xx). He said the internet manager must have been quoting an EX model. To their credit, they held to the TrueCar price. But took some money out by devaluing my trade in at (-$731 negative equity). In the end, it was $329/month for 36 months, and I had to put down $2000 for T/T/L. Tax here is 9%. I'm in Norcal. They had no flex cash left, but I did "remind them" of the loyalty bonus. Also found they were not calculating the residual based on MSRP. All kinds of tricks they try to pull. What do you think about that deal?
    P.S. That monthly payment ($329) includes tax. Only things where I think I got screwed:
    -- He would only give me .59 residual (due to me wanting 15,000 miles instead of 12,000
    -- I think my car was worth $1200 or so to them, that's what another dealership was going to make. He said they had to pay for body work to rear bumper and to replace two tires. I'm thinking they get that stuff free, right?

Regardless, I learned a TON from this forum, the lease calculator here, the keasing spreadsheet I downloaded based on a recommendation here, and the Weymouth calculator.
  • jduerbuschjduerbusch Member Posts: 9
    Hi I just bought a new CRV EXL AWD on Tuesday, May 28, 2013.
    Seem like a good deal. This is for the car only, no taxes, titles or dealer add-on's:

Your Desired Vehicle Request:

2013 Honda CR-V EXL AWD MSRP $29,625
    Internet e-Price is $26,367**.

An administrative fee of $199 will be applied to the final selling price (this is standard in the industry and all dealerships charge this fee).

We have no hidden fees!

*With approved credit. Not all buyers will qualify. **The price shown does not reflect any upgrades or options that may have been added to the vehicle. The destination charge is included in the price quote.

Honda is also offering an extra $500 off the above price if you currently have one of the following vehicles, 2003 or newer, in your household: Honda, Acura, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Ford, Chevy, Subaru, Jeep, Kia, VW, or Saturn!

So I paid $25867 out the door with .09% for 48 Months.

Joe K0BX
    An administrative fee is not standard in the industry and not all dealers charge such a fee. This is simply an increase to the selling price which the dealer is attempting a bit of deception by calling it a fee. The word fee is intended to give it a bit of authority. Many people associate the word fee with a legal cost.

The fact is the dealer must include the fee on all contracts or be subject to discrimination. However, that does not mean all buyers actually pay the fee.

For example, I just bought a new vehicle and the dealer hit me with a $500 fee. I told them I would only buy the vehicle if they reduced the price by $500 to compensate for the fee.

Really, how many dealers will let a deal walk over such fees. Interestingly, another buyer was sitting at the next table and also achieved a price reduction to compensate for the fee.
  • njp2smommynjp2smommy Member Posts: 1
    Hi, this is a great price. Did anyone ever find out what dealership this was? Looking to buy a crv this week and am trying to see how low I can get the dealer to go. Thanks!
  • andyman1970andyman1970 Member Posts: 47
    2013 EX-L AWD

Sale Price: $26,937.00
    Dest: $830.00
    Doc Fee Plus ERT: 189.30
    Tax @ 7%: $1,919.14
    Plate Xfer: $120.00
    Flex: - $500.00
    Incentive: -$500.00
    OTD: $28,455.44

Had to get 0.9% for 60 months to get Flex cash.

90 minutes in dealership total.
  • steverajsteveraj Member Posts: 9
    Tru Car pricing (least available ) is 23,109 How you got that price? what is the zip code? and which dealer.

Thanks
  • ayayayyayayayy Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Got a 2013 CRV EX 2WD on may 25 via costco auto buying program:

dealer wanted $23548 for car, haggled it down to $100 lower :P
    final $23448 plus tax ( I think this is lower than costco's)
    91791 zip area.
    moonroof, alloy wheels, alarm standard. and $50 costco voucher good for accessories
    at dealership.

THANKS GUYS and I hope this was a good deal
  • bigedfrombkbigedfrombk Member Posts: 21
    May I ask what dealership you purchased CR-V EXL AWD 2013? I live in New York and I will use your OTD price as a bench mark. thanks for your help.
  • glv2glv2 Member Posts: 7
    I am looking to buy my wife a CRV EX in Northeast Ohio within the next month or so. She is interested in the AWD because she wanted a Subaru. What is a good OTD price before tax? Also is the CRV’s AWD recommended over the 2WD. We do have a fair amount of inclement weather in this area?
  • neubiecrvneubiecrv Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    Just for reference, I purchased a 2012 CR-V EX AWD back in August of 2012.
    My OTD price with taxes was $27,200.00. I could have gotten it for $150 less at another dealership somewhat close to home but I chose to purchase from dealership in area of workplace in Bethesda, MD (expensive area to rent and buy homes). Which was the same dealership the 1995 FWD Accord, which I still drive primarily, was purchased. After adding the fabric protectant and paint protectant and addl warranty to the CR-V price, I ended up paying $28,600. I'm not into yelling and screaming or sleeping on their showroom floor but I have to admit that's what would have had to happen in order to get out if there without purchasing extras, so I caved in to their sales tactics. They weren't giving me the keys until I bought something to add to the OTD price. I do perfectly okay with my FWD Accord in the DC MD area even with the ice storms. I just kept the gears in 2nd or even 1st on one occasion going up a steep hill with a small pickup truck sliding toward me from ahead. I was able to stay out of his way and slowly inch up the icy hill. So, as long as you don't try to be superman and do your best to stay off the roads in those conditions anyway, a FWD is fine but I happen to work for 'Type A workaholics with no common sense. Also, I don't know if the FWD CR-V has the backup camera which I absolutely love on the AWD EX CR-V and I feel is worth the money I paid in 'extras'. Do your best to not give in to the fabric protection and added warranty, my thoughts are if it's a Honda why would I need any other warranty? Those cars roll no matter what hits them or happens. (At least in my experience). None of the ones I had left me stranded, they all got me home when there was no way possible that they should have. My former VW, couldn't touch my Honda (other than I was completely unharmed in an accident). Parts are too expensive for an insurance company to want to repair if in an accident, they rather declare it's 'totaled' than repair and risk other issues later. Hondas are very 'insurance friendly'.
  • sunnysunnysidesunnysunnyside Member Posts: 3
    I have an offer for $27k for CRV EXL OTD, but plus DMV fees. I haven't gone in to sign paperwork yet and am afraid they will pester me to buy a bunch of stuff. Any ideas for how to avoid that? I'm a single mom and don't have the time or money to deal with haggling any further. I got my quote via email.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Bring in email quote and make dealership honor there price or walk out.

Say no to anything else in back office.. NO NO NO never worth buying

People buy hondas for Build ,Quality, and Resale value. Dont throw away your money on warranties and all that B.S. sold in back offices.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

edited June 2013
    Yes, I am not going to buy any other warranties, etc. I don't want any extras at all. I'm just afraid they are going to get me in there and not give me the keys and I'll have a whining miserable 2 year old and a lot of wasted time. I am dreading it.

Oh thank you too, for your feedback!
  • muthunmuthun Member Posts: 1
    This is a very good deal. May i know, at Which place you got this vehicle.
    Ok, deal complete today. - $27135. Honda CRV EXL, with wheel locks, mud guards, and door guards. Paid DMV fees on top of that. No tax in Oregon.
  • gbaumangbauman Member Posts: 9
    Just received a quote from a nearby dealer for OTD pricing of $28,996 for EX-L with Navi. I know we should be discussing prices of car + destination + fees but this sales rep sent an OTD unsolicited. It seemed to me too good to be real but when I questioned him he said he is giving me $750 flex cash. He listed the price as $27,600 + f+t&t+a+p and came up as $28,996 OTD after the flex cash. Taxes in Maryland are 6% and DMV costs are $344. Any thoughts on this deal?
  • karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    A good way to quickly quiet the F&I person regarding their extended push to get you to buy an extended warranty or service contract is to say you only intend to keep the vehicle for three years, essentially the length of the OEM actual warranty. That calms the wind of their sales pitch and causes them to become somewhat speechless. Works every time.
  • wfudeaconwfudeacon Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new CRV EX AWD about 3 weeks ago at Duncan's Hokie Honda in Christiansburg, VA. I live in Roanoke and it was worth the drive. They had some dealer cash thing or something but I got the car for $23,800. They gave me $1,800 for my 2001 Toyota Corolla and I put $2,000 down. After taxes, fees, etc... I financed about $20,600 for 60 months at 0.9%. I think I got a great deal judging from everything I've seen online.
  • puffpuffpuffpuff Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    I called about 5 Honda dealerships in metro Atlanta. I asked specifically for the drive out price -- tax, dealer, tag, title, registration, et al included. I wanted the final price. I was given quotes between $27,000 and $28,000.

For reference, in Georgia the mandatory fees for the CRV EX AWD are:

Tax $1685.13
    Registration $20
    Title $18
    State Fee $3
    Electronic Filing $79
    ----------------------------------
    Total $1805.13

All dealerships seemed to have non negotiable administrative fees between $500 and $700. That cost is pure padded profit for them.

Gwinnett Honda was difficult to get a hold of. I was not able to talk to someone about this.

Voyles Honda quoted $27,615.81 drive out. Price and destination is $25,212.68 of that amount. $598 for dealer fee.

AutoNation quoted $27,055.13 drive out. Price and destination is $24,630. $699 for dealer fee. No electronic filing fee?

Nalley Honda quoted $26,978 drive out, provided that I finance. I was not given the price or dealer fees.

Curry Honda said they beat the lowest so I went with them. After going through credit approval, paperwork, and such, the drive out price was $27,079.13, which was higher than both Nalley and AutoNation. I couldn't get the price lowered. As my spouse and I were more tired than miffed, we just paid it. After all, it was $101.13 more than the lowest at 0.9% over 60 months. Come to think about it, our payment is $1.73/month higher.

No matter what, we got a good deal and a fair price, around invoice.
    Price plus destination = $24,687
    Price, destination, dealer fee = $25,274
    Total drive out cost = $27, 079.13
    All so-called fees such as administration, documentation, or service fees, are absolutely negotiable. They are part of the price. the only things in a car deal which cannot be negotiated are the Government fees and taxes.

Dealers learned a while ago using administrative and documentation fees allows them to advertise and provide artificially low prices to prospective sales leads. They do this to entice people to visit their showrooms knowing they will likelly be able to make additional profit from folks who don't really understand those junk fees.

The use of the term fees is intentional. That word implies some legality to the costs. The word fee makes it sound official. Yes, car dealers are very devious.

What is true is dealers usually must show on their sales contract the fees for every customer. The reason being if they do not they are subject to being sued by folks who allege discrimination.

The way around this is simple. Negotiate a price and then have the dealer reduce that price to compensate for the documentation fee. Or consider the fees in the price you negotiate.

I recently bought a vehicle. Negotiated the price and the trade value. Then discussed the dealer documentation fee, which was $600. An absolutely silly amount which I was not going to pay. After not much discussion, the dealer reduced the price by $300 and increased the trade by $200.

If a dealer will not adjust the price for these fees, customers should use their best negotiation tool, their feet. Stand up, say thanks, and walk away. Most likely the dealer will call you back as not many will let a legitimate deal walk away over these fees. At worst, almost all dealers will make at least a partial adjustment to the price.

If the dealer won't budge, there is always another dealer willing an able to meet your requirements.

Always good to remember the dealer needs you. You do not need the dealer. Dealers will almost always try to get a customer to spend hours working the deal. Dealers know if they succeed the customer will likely get tired and miffed. Tired people are more likely to cave and just pay it, whatever it may be.

Never good to simply sit for hours in the office of a car dealer. If the sales person gets up and walks away. The customer should get up and walk around. The customer should always display an unconcerned attitude. An attitude which conveys to the sales person buying a car that day is really not a high prioity. Once the sales person recognizes the customer is emotionally attached to the vehicle, the advantage shifts to the sales person.
  • heisindcheisindc Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2013 EX AWD (we wanted cloth seats) with appearance package (they didn't charge us for it), OTD for $25.4k

Base price was 23, then you add taxes (700), dest fee (830), and other fees for the 25.4k with Honda 0.9% financing

Landmark Honda, Alexandria, VA
    Just bought today. As much as I was expecting to wait till the end of the month I believe I got a fantastic deal. Not really sure how I got this as I have not seen this low anywhere. Sent around to several dealers asking for OTD price. Took the lowest one from a questionable dealer and asked the dealer closest to my home if he would match it. He agreed. I expected to have add-ons once at the dealer but no one even tried to add to the price. Very impressed with the customer service at Northwest Honda in Owings Mills, MD. Ask for James.
    So here's the deal:

Price: 27,318
    Dealer Fee: 199
    Loyalty discounts: - 1,000
    Total: 26,517

Plus Title/Tags (280) + MD taxes @ 6% (1651) OTD 28,449 Had to use Honda financing at 0.9% but can't get much lower than that. Seems like now is a nice time to buy.
  • imagesdecieveimagesdecieve Member Posts: 1
    Upper westchester NY

Price 27860
    Loyalty credit and flex rebate -700

Tax 2263.63
    Title license 191.50
    Dealer doc fee 75
    Waste tire fee 12.50

OTD price 29511.13

We told the dealer we wanted to pay 29,500 OTD. They came in a few bucks over but we were okay with that considering how great of an interest rate they got us from Honda.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    is this a 2WD or 4WD CRV?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

4WD
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    WOW! That's a fantastic deal! According to edmunds, invoice for your CRV EXL w/ Nav 4WD is $29,264.00. You bought the car for over $2,700 below invoice. Home Run! Very well done!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• lippy326lippy326 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    My husband and I just bought a 2013 CR-V EX. It was in the showroom and they added in a bunch of great features....

-added Heated and Leather seats!
    -Remote car starter
    -Body trim decal kit (really nice looking!)
    -Rear cargo tray- added in during negotiations w/dealership

We were originally going to buy top of the line ex-l w/navi but decided against it. It just didn't blow us away. So this car had everything we wanted. Only things we are missing out on are power seats, satalite radio and dual climate control. I kind of wanted power seats but will learn to live without it.

Price on the showroom floor was 27,998, Sticker price was 31K. they took 2k off. They also took out the navi for us so take 1,400 roughly off the 28K sticker price. also 26K doesnt include the taxes dealer fees etc.

I would love to hear anyone's opinion if we got a good deal?!?!

Thanks!!
  • lippy326lippy326 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot also added
    -wood trim to the dash board-
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited June 2013
    You could be the judge of your own deal.
    EX model.........Dealers invoice price w/ dest charge is= $25,379.

Most people can get 500 below invoice price which brings us to .......$ 24,879. excluding taxes and dmv fee's.

So you can ask your self if the extra accessories they put in the car was worth the money.
    Remember dealer pays a fraction of the cost you see on the sticker for such items.
    remote start==$ 250
    rear cargo........ $ 60
    leather seats.......$500

These are just some price examples on how cheap certain items are for the dealerships. They do this to thousands of vehicles.

The main thing is you purchased a great SUV with items you like.

Good luck and enjoy your new honda.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

What was your OTD price?
    I am also from NY. May I ask what dealership you made the purchased.