Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    SAVE THE EXTRA MONEY ON HONDA 'S NAV SYSTEM. Not worth it. You could by a Garmin Nuvi for under 200 dollars and it will be easier to use and work better.

You will get a better deal on the 2013 dealer has on his lot. Unless the 2014 offers upgrade features but thats not the case this Suv is a 2nd yr model.

I would target the 5 closest dealers to your house call the internet managers of each place and negioate your target price with him/her before going down to the dealership. dealerships that see a woman will try to get over / rob you if you do not know pricing and how to negotiate. Read thru prior post to get a idea on pricing in your AREA and what they are selling for..

1500 below invoice price on a 2013 model is a good deal plus any incentives that apply. Make that your starting number to buy today.

If you need help just post in this forum.

Any thing the dealership tries to sell you in the back office just say No. Anything you dont know what it is.. Just say............................. No.

Brian

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• arvjarvj Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Brian for the inputs. I live in TX so the tax is 6.25%, the tag and title fee is $131, typical doc fee dealers charge are $150-250 in my area. So essentially I'm looking at:

$26,690 - $1000 (dealer markup) - $1000 (incentives) = $24,690
    Tax = $1543
    Tag & Title = $131
    Doc fee = $150

So total should be $26,514 or lower for a good deal on a 2013 CRV EX-L FWD with no NAV/RES.
  • fiona6fiona6 Member Posts: 9
    Brian:

I have read lots of your posts here today and really appreciate your help. I and a first time buyer and want buy a LX CVT in Michigan and the dealer offered 21,680(790 destination included). I was wondering if 20,680( destination included) would be a good counteroffer. Thank you!

Fiona
    I would make sure i lose that dealerships number with a price like they are quoting you. For starters atleast 20,369 to buy.

2013 Accord lx cvt model invoice price with dest/ charge = $21,369.
    Your target price to buy for this model should be 1500 at best to 1000 at worst case below invoice price. The Lx model accord is selling at prices i have posted. Read my posts on buying online in this forum and in the Accord prices paid for a ideal how to get the best deal possible.

Post any other questions in the accord forum and i will help you.

Mistake number one when buying never ask a dealership for his quote. getting a E- price quote online is fine but When you are ready to buy
    You tell dealership that i will buy said make and model today for this price. which would be your target price.

• percybpercyb Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the input! Really appreciate it. Is there a built in navigation system that I can get?

Does the rear camera show up on the small screen if you don't get nav?
    There is. but you dont want to go thru all that hassle of cutting out and changing wiring in your new CRV to install a aftermarket nav system, If its done incorrectly you may incur electrical problems with Crv that wont be covered under warranty.

It would be best to get the Honda nav. system for the extra $1500 or simply buy that Garmin Nuvi,.............5 inch hand held screen model that mounts on the windshield.

The back up camera as far as i know does come without getting the nav. system.

Good luck on your choice.

• dghtrfgddghtrfgd Member Posts: 30
    they did say SPECIFICALLY that the interest rate will be lowered because the bank feels more secure with the lo jack and extended warranty package.
    (don't know why i had a brain-blip...probably always a better idea to have someone with you when they try to work you over...)
    My question now is: How do i cancel "in writing"?
    Should i send a certified letter?
    Is email sufficient?
    also-- for you seasoned honda owners: i've noticed two things that irk me about my new honda crv exl awd:
    1) the honk of the horn seems tinny and weak. is that just my car, or is that the standard honda crv horn sound?
    2) is it normal to hear rattling in the car cabin when driving or idling? there's one rattle that comes from the passenger side window (when rolled up) and one rattle that seems to come from the back of the car...am i just beoing hyper-sensitive to sounds that should be considered "normal"?
    brian's right (as usual;) -- get the garmin and save your cash...
    as for camera-- it IS standard with or without the nav...
  • will123will123 Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2013
    Beware of this lie. Went to a dealer to test drive the CRV. I knew I wouldn't buy here but also wanted to hear the dealer spiel.

He said that if you get flex cash you are required to keep the loan for at least 3 months. Completely incorrect as I verified this with American Honda Finance Corp. You can pay it off as soon as they get the paperwork - in about 3 days.

Get this- their best deal - $300 over invoice and they will give you $500 in options.

JL Freed Honda - Montgomeryville PA
  • cowboy62cowboy62 Member Posts: 9
    What are the big differences between LX and EX (not EX-L)?

Thanks.
  • natbundsnatbunds Member Posts: 3
    Can you tell me where in Texas you got this quote? (Dealership/City) Thanks!
  • liboglibog Member Posts: 8
    I originally just posted this message in wrong thread which i deleted.

My wife insists on navigation isntead of using her phone or garmin

But these are the starting quotes:

$26834 + frieght, tags, taxes, processing fee. This already includes the incentives. This was the starting quote for a no hassle/haggle internet quote from Criswell Honda in Germantown, MD.

true market value on edmonds after desitnation and regional fee is $29,840. Before these fees was $28,988

Reading from the forums, the goal is to shoot for 1500 below invoice.

I am guessing this is a good price. But this was only the first quote from the 1st dealer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------
    Got another starting quote for $26,742 from Sport Honda in Silver Spring, Md

Got another starting quote for $27850 +tax +tags + $200 processing fee + $830 freight... OTD $30,904.80 From Jim Coleman Honda in Clarksville, Maryland
  • chinbajchinbaj Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,

Here is what I got my local dealer in Iowa.

28000 (Start price + Dest charge)
    +400 (Accessories that I wanted)
    -1000(Dealer discount)
    -500 (Honda incentive)
    +129 (doc fee)
    ---------------------
    $27029
    +1700(approx) tax,title,etc
    ---------------------
    $28729 Total

Considering that there arent very many dealers here in Iowa, I dont know If I can get any better than this within 50 miles of my residence.

Let me know what you guys think.
    Read my posting in the accord forum and try the other dealers i posted in there for you. At 1500 below invoice you should hit your targeted price with some of the dealerships. Dont forget to add any incentives and rebates that apply after your agreed sale price..

• tushvyas007tushvyas007 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Bob529,

I am also in Atlanta and looking for EX-L.

Can you share with me dealer name and sales person you worked with ?

This seems to be good deal to me.

Thanks
    Hi Chinbaj - just curious. Which options did you select and what were the individual costs?
  • chinbajchinbaj Member Posts: 4
    Splash guards - (This one they picked for me. They come factory installed and basically can be given free, but the dealer was ready to go to war for charging me $100 for them.)

All Season weather mats (These they included but removed on my asking. But I added them back on 2nd thoughts after looking at equivalent ones in Walmart, Amazon, etc. They come a little cheaper than original Honda ones).

Cargo Holder (Same story as all season. Couldn't find any significantly cheaper and original ones).

Total comes to about $390 incl "installation" :) .

I know I could have saved some $$ but I was really tired and wanted to get it done with.

Let me know If you need more info.

Thanks
    correction the quote from sport honda for $26,742 was crv awd without nav or res. $28961 + $189 processing flee + tax + title for crv awd with nav.

Bel Air Honda in MD is offering crv awd with nav starting for $27434.15 + $830 frieght + $524 for MD fees + tax 6% - $500 for loyalty + accessory $387 wheel locks which I am not asking for.
    edited July 2013
    thank you for the replies brian.

I just wanted to clarify because I have seen you post different things

To calculate the target price I have seen at least these 3 recommendations:

1)
    Invoice price - does this price include freight?
    minus the dealers hold back (how do you find this out?)
    minus dealers doc fee's
    minus any rebates and incentives due to you.
    Now add your dmv and states taxes for your OTD price.

2) Invoice -$1500 - any rebates/incentives. Should I still be subtracting doc fees. what about freight with this formula? How does this apply to a starting quote of $26834 not including tax, title, freight, and processing. I thought the invoice was based on what you see in the edmund's calculator for build a car? invoice $28434 +$830 freight. But it seems like everyone in there posts are including destination/freight fee in their invoice?

3)And look at other buying prices that people obtained in this thread.

I think I am just confusing myself a little the more I am reading.

Also I saw your post about financing. Is it necessary to pre-finance with outside lender if you plan on just paying it off in 7-10 days like you do?
    I am assuming your quotes are without navigation. I am looking to buy also in Maryland but my wife insists on navigation. I am just starting the process. You can see my posts for the starting quotes for some of the dealers in the area. Unfortunately now the only incentive they have is the customer loyalty $500.
    - Invoice price does not include dest/ charge of $790 add it to invoice price.
    dealer hold back is 2% of base msrp. dealers margin $ 500 plus depending on price of vehicle.

If you make you target price 1500 below invoice and get that number that is a good deal. doc fee charge is added on to your bill of sale after your agreed sale price. So if the dealers doc fee charge is 499 and you get 1500 below invoice that would mean your are buying this vehicle for 1000 below invoice.
    the way you should always buy is take dealers doc fee charge and add it to your asking price so its a wash on the bill of sale. if dealers doc fee's are minimal it makes the transaction alot easier.

Financing and paying off loan 7- to 10 days go thru dealership. always mention to dealership you will finance the vehicle if thats what it takes to get you to your asking price. whether there is a incentive or not.

good luck post your deal

was the price you quoted the out the door price or was it the price before tax, title, processing fee, freight?
  • kcchipkcchip Member Posts: 3
    Any thoughts on the best way to approach accessory pricing. Dealer wants $252 for installed hood air deflector, which can be bought online (Honda OEM) for about $125. Spoiler online $220 and close to $500 installed.

In the midwest, is $1500 below invoice still a good place to start. (A lot of the posts here seem to be east coast).

Thanks
  • arvjarvj Member Posts: 7
    Round Rock Honda/Round Rock
    Your area might not be able to get 1500 below. Supply and demand play a big part in pricing. That being said every dealership you call or visit make that your buying target price. If i know a certain state can get a vehicle cheaper i'm going to try like hell to make my states dealership match that number. If after 10 to 20 dealerships and you cant get that number work down from the 1500.
    I like to let all dealers know any installed accessories that are installed in my vehicle i will buy at invoice cost or i dont want them find me the vehicle i want or i go elsewhere.

• kaur1kaur1 Member Posts: 2
    What is a good OTD pricing for 2013 LX model (AWD, backup camera) with 2014 models on the way. Dealers are quoting me $21,699+ destination charge ($830) + doc fee + TTL. I'm in NJ- tax rate is 7%.
    Maybe i can take advantage as it is end of the month.
    what is a good pricing strategy for items that you want to have installed, not something already on the car. somethings I can buy online a lot cheaper and do myself, but there are somethings I would just have them do. as an exmple-hood air deflector is list $172, and they want about $250 installed. can buy online at H and A for $128. Seems to me they make enough profit on the list price to cover the installation, or am I off base?
    Montgomery County PA - it's incredible but the best deal so far after getting flex and loyalty of $1,000 is an additional $325 so we're at 27,860 less 1,325 or 26,535 before taxes and dmv fees. I got this exact price from several different dealers. I've used the techniques I've read about here but either I suck as a negotiator or business is good. A few dealers have run out of flex for the month.

It appears to be a seller's market in the last two days of July. Some of these dealers are flat out surly.

Any advice is appreciated!!!
  • kjf2kjf2 Member Posts: 13
    Purchased at Duncan's Hokie Honda in Christianburg, VA. Price: $23,300 + 379 dealer fee
    + sales taxes, title and registration. Included 1,000 discount (Honda loyalty + financing promo). Total OTD was $24,200. I live in SC so they charged South Carolina sales tax, which is $300 max on cars (we do have auto property tax, however, so the state does get their $$ eventually.)

Traded in a 2007 CRV EX AWD with 87K miles (really needed tires) for 11K. Could have probably bargained for a bit more but the salesman was pleasant and overall dealer atmosphere low pressure. They threw in mud guards, nitrogen filled tires without charge.

The previous cargo tray from the '07 CRV fit well. Drove the car 400 miles today....quite the difference in ride and noise from the the 07 EX.

Any feedback?
    edited July 2013
    Depending on how much they discount the vehicle for you will matter. I always like to let dealership know i'm looking for this model with these accessories installed on car at dealers invoice price. Mud guards, sun roof deflectors are thrown into deal at his cost with no installation fee. More detailed items you might get at his cost but dealer might want a service fee to install. Like rear deck lid, lower body molding, lights etc. Probably worth him doing if you dont have any decent auto shops by you.

• eds_eds_ Member Posts: 3
    Been negotiating on a new 2013 CR-V FWD EX-L w/ Nav... currently have an offer of $28,800 OTD. Should we jump on this deal or can we get to a better number? Thanks!
    Where are you located?
    Jacksonville, FL
    what was the break down of the prices?

sell price:
    freight:
    tax:
    title:
    processing:

So far i have a quote for

invoice with $500 flex cash: 26750
    freight: $830
    processing fee: ? (other dealers running around $190-200)
    title: $279 (if financing)
    tax: in MD 6% of (sell price, freight, and processing)
    Thanks for the info. Are dealers still getting 2013s in? I see one of my local dealers just got several new 2013 CRVs this week.
    Oh really? I live near there and am in the market for a CRV. Would you mind breaking down the quote you received and also what dealership have you been working with? Thanks!
    I don't know the exact breakdown, but I'd guess we are around $26,000 before fees, tax, tag, and title to get OTD at $28,800. We are currently negotiating at Coggin Honda of the Avenues.
    Just got a quote for

Sell price 26634
    Freight: 830
    Processing fee: usually around 190-200
    Tag: 279
    Tax:6% of sell price + freight + processing fee.

By my calculations aft 500 loyalty incentive the OTD should be 29092.24

But after seeing the quote from eds I am going to see if I can get an OTD of 28800
  • erl999erl999 Member Posts: 3
    I bought CR-V EXL (No Nav & RES) for $28,000 OTD (Including vehicle, destination charges, PA state tax 6%, DMV charges, documentation fee). Is this good deal.
    fwd or awd?
    edited August 2013
    i went down to bayridge to cancel my extended warranty and lo-jack "package" and Gene cancelled it without a problem. The Finance guy however told me that i HAD to take the lo-jack even though they hadnt installed it yet because "it was already assigned". He then asked me if my car was with the valet (i assume thinking that he could just quickly install it right then) but luckily it wasn't.
    So i thought to myself-- this guy must be reading "stupid" tatooed on my forehead. But i just listened to him and then returned to dealing only with Gene, who said he needed to find my folder in order to refund the balance of the "extended warranty package" which included the uninstalled lo-jack.
    He told me he would get back to me with how the refund will work-- but suggested that they will probably send me a check that i can use to pay off the loan-- which i am totally fine with.
    This was two days ago and I havent heard anything yet--so I'm still not sure how much of a headache this might become-- but so far it looks like I'll be able to get a full refund and get back to my original "before 4th of July" deal of OTD 26,500 before taxes!
    I really would not have been able to pull this all off without the support of you guys!
  • joyjooyjoyjooy Member Posts: 1
    Greetings, I would love feedback on this quote I received from a Texas dealer. I feel that this deal is a bit on the high side. What are your thoughts on the deal considering the 2014 CRVs will be arriving soon.

MSRP: $29,375.00 Including Destination Charge
    Your price $26,860.00
    Sales Tax $1,678.75
    Vehicle Inventory Tax $47.98
    License $69.25
    Title/Registration $33.00
    2 year state Inspection $23.75
    Document Fee $189.00
    "Drive Out" Total $28,651.73
  • golf44golf44 Member Posts: 1
    Negotiated a honda crv ex-l tonight with nav. Can ya'll help me decide if this is a good deal?

sell price: $28293
    Trade in: 9,000 (fair price)
    tax: $1334
    Administrative Services fee: 599
    Non tax fees: 286.50

Total: $21,513 (so really $30,513 not including trade in)
  • loveodyloveody Member Posts: 10
    Any one bought it in ohio in July and at what price? I have a quote for $27,125 plus tax, title, doc fees etc. Is it a good deal?
  • mynawallymynawally Member Posts: 5
    Hey everyone, do you think 21,145 including destination is a good sale price for the Honda CRV LX 2WD? OTD $23,094 in Texas. This includes loyalty and flex cash for financing. Am I better off waiting till end of the month or till 2014s come out?
    First Texas Honda (Austin, TX) offer me the price at $23,997, not inlcuding "sales tax, vehicle registration fees, finance charges, documentation charges, and any other fees".

Is this a good deal?
  • mynawallymynawally Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2013
    First Texas Honda was horrible to deal with. Im currently negotiating with Honda San Marcos and Round Rock Honda. Try asking them for a quote... What I did was request a equote from Rusty Wallis Dallas, and asked the three in Austin and one in San Marcos who could match it. First Texas Honda and Howdy Honda didnt even try...
    Thank you mynawally for your helpful info. Could you post your final deal price after you get your car?
    I also got equote from Howdy Honda:
    2013 CR-V EX 2wd: $24791.61 before TTL
    2013 CR-V EX 4wd: $26059.61 before TTL.

Also got equote from Cleo Bay Honda:
    2013 CR-V EX 2wd: $24595 before TTL
    2013 CR-V EX awd: $25700 before TTL