Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sundevilsundevil Member Posts: 28
    I got mine at Honda on Grand in Elmhurst. I worked with Jerry and if you submit an online quote request I believe he is the only online rep.

Carr's Honda and Planet Honda were very close in price but were farther from me.

I checked with almost all dealers in the Chicagoland area and the above 3 were the only ones to give a competitive quote without haggling and clearly explained the available incentives. I did talk to sales manager at few other dealerships to get my first choice color but they were not willing to even come close to the deals let alone match.

Good luck with your purchase.
  • guest2011guest2011 Member Posts: 30
    One of the first things i'll ask the dealer to do is remove pin stripes if i ever get any "deal" on this piece of @#$%. 2013 OTD all scam fees included 24,500. 2014 OTD 25,5...4...3... depending how fast i lose interest and walk away. Now i don't want CRV, not that other stealers and cars are any better. I get the impression Honda wants to be the Apple of cars. New motto "sell less for more". Every time i looked at it on the lot i thought about my passengers being uncomfortable and thanked honda for the door lock on the passenger side door. I won't buy EX bc of sun roof and other gimmickry. There's no aftermarket arm rest available that's easy to install. Not possible to install an arm rest in LX because dealer would have to change seats. Plasticky ugly black mirrors, horrible distorted fish eye camera. CD slot. No tint. @#$%^&* pin stripes!!! Like its 80's again. Who needs @#$% bluetooth when variable speed wipers are so much more useful.

Haggling is the thing of the past. First quote i get if i get up and walk away nobody tries to stop me like yrs ago.
  • rufus4554rufus4554 Member Posts: 7
    ended up getting an LX FWD with no options for 22,500 OTD, or 1,350 below published invoice (22,243). i was shopping for both a FWD LX and a FWD EX, but i could not get the spread between the two lower than 2,500 as dealers started getting tricksy with the math so i went with the LX.

i'm in houston and hit up all of the local dealers for quotes on both LX and EX models. if anyone has any questions, i'd be happy to share quotes and impressions of particular dealers. some things i've noticed among all dealers:

1. these "pro packs" are a scam. familiarize yourself with the cost of OEM splash guards, cargo trays, wheel locks, etc. first so you aren't fooled.

2. the salesperson i ended up buying from even told me that the fabric protectant is a scam.

3. i got two itemized quotes from two salespersons at the same dealer. they were $200 apart. upon further review, i found that one guy included a 199.99 "nitrogen tire warranty". i bought from the guy who didn't offer it. when i was signing papers in the finance office, i ended up signing a document for the nitrogen tire warranty. i said "hey, i didn't ask for this" and the finance guy goes "it looks like they threw it in." if you look at my contract of sale, there's a line item for the "nitrogen tire warranty" - cost was $0.01.
  • newuser76newuser76 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for a 2013 CRV EX-L AWD no RES, no NAV and have the following:
    MSRP $29,625
    Sales price before tax, tag, title (includes 1,050 discount) - $28,925
    Sales price with tax, tag, title - 29,9919.75

Have this deal down to 28,880 including tax, tag, title.

Any opinions? Should I shoot for lower? This is in NC.
  • cowboy62cowboy62 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your post.

It seems your final OTD price has not applied $500 loyaty and $500 Flex cash for 0.9% Honda financing. (Or they were already included in $1350?) I talked to one dealer in Hoston abdout CR-V EX (no options), their internet salesman offerme $24890 OTD. I talked to him about $500 Flex cash for 0.9% finance and $500 Loyalty. He said they were already included.
    The dealer I talked is Russell and Smith Honda.
    edited August 2013
    Funny how you get "best OTD deal" and when you mention college grad, loyalty, military, costco membership, etc. everything is already automatically included in that "amazing deal". Problem is the car has nothing for the money. Its the Element with a different body and interior. Its got nothing worth the numbers i'm getting. Dealers refuse to sell lower than 24,5-900 for '13 LX AWD. Its not worth that much. Hondausa is behind this scam. All dealers offer the same "best OTD" +/- $50-100 and sometimes add a few cents to make it more realistic.
    hi cowboy62,

i ended up buying the LX FWD from R&S. the same salesman quoted me 24,941.21 OTD for an EX FWD which is more than your quote. i would just double check and ask for an itemized quote. as i mentioned before, one R&S guy added 199 for the nitro warranty; the guy i bought from didn't mention it and it was still added, but for only 0.01. the way i think about it is, the nitrogen is already in the tire - is it possible to take it out and reclaim it if a customer refuses to pay for it? if you see that nitro warranty, fight like hell to get it out - it's not mandatory as i figured out.

i would seriously consider your quote, and seeing if they could knock it down a bit more. ask about referral bonuses, if they have any to share. big star quoted me 25,600 OTD for an EX FWD; john eagle offered 24,250 OTD for an incoming unit (but would take another two-three weeks), and 25,800 OTD for one in stock on their lot. spring branch honda spoke vaguely on the phone about how they might be able to match the john eagle 24k OTD number, but they didn't have any bare bones ones in stock but still wanted me to come in and negotiate. i declined. honda of spring also wanted me to come in, but said that we were looking at around 26k OTD. kingwood refused to match 24k OTD and said that i must have been mistaken and that 24k was for an LX not an EX. gillman said that they had many EXs in stock, but were not allowed to go over prices on the phone. honda of katy did not respond to my request for an EX quote, but they were competitive on the LX - only problem is they have a $399 pro-pack and a $189 doc fee.

now, back to your question. i was told that R&S did not have any flex cash left when i bought. (John eagle also told me that they ran out of their flex cash two weeks into the month). i qualified for the $500 loyalty by showing my current insurance card (which they copied). just note that the way that they apply it is pretty cunning - they apply it after taxes are calculated. you still pay the OTD price that you negotiated, but they put it in there as a $500 cash downpayment payable by honda. i think that this accounting may have cost me an extra $31.25 in sales tax, but i think i still netted out at 22,500. i also qualified for the 0.9% financing. they were not overly aggressive with the extended warranties, gap and life insurance. the finance guy simply asked and i politely declined, and then we moved on.
    Thank you very much rufus4554 for your so detailed information. I'll talk to some dealers you mentioned. Because I'm not hurry to buy, I'll patiently try to find a good deal (I hope).

Thanks again.
  • dks9dks9 Member Posts: 10
    Can you please provide me quote , I am planing to buy in couple of days thanks.
    I am in houston area can you please provide me dealar name and quote
    what model are you looking for? the lowest i got an LX FWD was 22,500 OTD (RS and JE). Katy was 22,700 (they would have been cheaper but insisted on a $399 package of dealer add-ons). For an EX FWD, the lowest quote was from JE at 24k OTD for an incoming unit, then RS at 24,900 OTD (but this was an in-stock model).
    Called email live chatted with all local dealers. They all give about same price OTD +/-. Mostly over 26k for 2014 LX AWD. Then made up an offer 23,8 OTD. Can't reach internet managers directly. Only sales reps. DCH first said if i finance 23,8 would be possible but then rep said manager doesnt want to take $1000 loss. Other dealers are related but names are different. Dealers swap, know each other's inventory and how much cars are sold for. Not dealing with NY scammers. Plenty of them in NJ.V
  • asimplenoiseasimplenoise Member Posts: 5
    Hi Brian,

Hope you can help verify my price. I went into Bay Ridge Honda today, mostly just to test drive, but we got so far as pricing and was able to get the following from them after asking for my OTD price - $26,200 was the number they gave...but they didnt include $830 destination in that, so truly $27,030 OTD.

Am I close here, or should I be looking for a better number?
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited August 2013
    What was the sale price of the EX/awd. The OTD numbers they gave you cant help me. Ny. state taxes and dmv charges are regulated so dealerships cant play around with those numbers.

You need to provide me with the sale price of CRV with or with out dest charge to determine pricing.

Invoice price on that model is 24,549
    dest/ charge is .........................830

total at invoice=......................25,379

Your target price to buy should be in the range of 1000 to 1700 below invoice price excluding any flex cash or incentives that apply to you.. We arrive at this pricing from other area sales. Next week the 2013 model is 9 months into this year and on jan,1 2014 it will be considered a 1 yr old model.

factors in pricing is effected by Supply and Demand and your area.

At 1000 below invoice price w dest charge included Bayridge honda should of quoted you....24,379 any price offer higher than this you should deem unexceptable.

here is a breakdown of 1000 below invoice w dealer fee's and taxes

24,379.................. sale price w dest charge
    12.50....................nys tire fee
    75.........................doc fee
    2171......................8.875 tax

$26,637.50............total price without dmv fee's
    200.............................dmv fee's estimated???

$26,837.50................Total OTD Pricing

Check out these 2 dealerships they are both very good with pricing

New Rochelle........... high volume dealership

Yonkers.....................very good dealership with good pricing

Call internet dept and speak with the internet managers only. Wait to next week to try and land a deal.... last 2 days of the month are the best time to start your negotiations and buying process this is when you have the dealers full attention especially dealerships looking to make there monthly sales quota's

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

I am looking for lx fwd, can they give same price for 2014 model also, who did you talk to at katy, r&s gave me 24 otd and Gilman also same.
    Did you bought from rs?
    edited August 2013
    Thanks Brian, very detailed and incredibly helpful. I wasnt entirely prepared when I walked into bay ridge yesterday - mostly went in to actually test drive the car.

We plan to finance through Honda for the .9% and my dad owns a Camry which seemed to make me eligible for conquest incentive since we share same last name. That means I should target your numbers above PLUS and additional $1k off? (Bay Ridge told me they were including both those incentives at their final price).

Sounds like I need to be quite a bit lower than my first whack at Bay Ridge - I will try both the dealerships above next week. When I call into their internet managers it sounds like I should say:

"I plan to buy the EX tomorrow and am looking for a sale price of $23,879" (invoice with dest - $1500)

Should I bring up the incentives in my ask price, or address them afterwards?
    Can you pls send me quote or itemwise, I will see if there is any referral program I can give ur name.
  • r_sethr_seth Member Posts: 6
    Here is the detailed breakdown for my 2013 Crv EX AWD:

Price of Vehicle: 23,000
    Add: Destination Fee: 815
    Add:Dealer Processing: 200
    Total: 24,015

Add:Sales Tax (MD): 1,440
    Add:Tags: 341
    Add:Tire Recycling: 4
    Grand Total: 25,800

Less: Incentives: 1,000

Net Out-The-Price: 24,800

Also, I drove an older Toyota and had to finance the car through American Honda Finance Company (AHFC) to get the above deal.

In summary, based on data from others in this thread, we got the CRV EX AWD for about $1500 below invoice and then received $1000 in incentives (Flex Cash/Conquest). Hope this helps you.
  • sbala72sbala72 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am looking to buy the same vehicle and am in MD. Can you please share the dealership and the salesperson's name? If you want to email, please send me a note at sairam.bala(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks
    edited August 2013
    If your calling/emailing dealerships let each dealership know i buy today for xxx below invoice price plus any incentives that i'm entitled to flex/loyalty/conquest. you do not want dealers to get you to your asking price by applying these incentives. Incentives should be applied after your agreed sale price to buy unless noted in the Honda rebate programs.

EX: Military rebate of 500 is applied as a down payment to sale price if you qualify.

good luck

I see others have bought this for 24, 800 OTD in MD, but all the dealers I have spoken with are quoting much higher prices. Can you please refer me to the dealership and salesperson where the EX AWD was purchased. I want to try to buy this week.

Thanks for your help.
  • twoseventwoseven Member Posts: 1
    Interested in Honda CRV 2014 EX AWD. Any ideas about what the best price in SF bay area is? Will it be cheaper to buy from a dealer farther away from the heart of Silicon Valley? Is it wiser to buy 2013 or 2014 model since there are no major changes?
  • steve_tsxsteve_tsx Member Posts: 5
    I'm located in the DFW and I'm looking to buy a CRV as specified in the title. The vehicle will be mostly used by my wife and she wants nav.

It's coming near the end of the month and I'm trying to get a bargain. However, I'm willing to wait until the end of the following month, when the quarter ends, to get a better deal if needed.

I was in a dealership over the weekend just to see what price they would do and almost ended buying one due to their high pressure sales techniques but managed to escape. I'm now regrouping and getting more knowlable after reading this site.

My question is with the 2014 model coming in what should I be expecting to call a bargain when I'm looking at a dealers offer, which I'm assuming is the dealers invoice and doc fee (correct me I'm wrong here)? One of the very knowledgable posters mentioned you should be looking at about $1000 to 1700 off that amount at this stage of the 2013 crv life cycle. Is this correct?

I'm assuming delivery fees, around $800, taxes, reg etc are extra. If you have any idea of how much those extra fees would typically cost in DFW that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
    I forgot to mention that I assume loyalty incentive etc would be extra deductions beyond the deductions that I already mentioned?
  • r_sethr_seth Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2013
    We got ours from Pohanka Honda located in Capitol Heights, MD.

What we did was, inquire about price/availability over phone and when they ask you for "what price are you willing to pay" - Inform them that another dealership (we were offered $24800 by College Park Honda out the door) close to your home offered you the XYZ price.

Pohanka offered to match the price!
    Thank you, r_seth.

I will reach out to Pohanka today and see if I can get them to make the same offer.
    edited August 2013
    Folks I've spoken to so far are acting shocked and appalled that I'm asking for $1500 below invoice - their response to me is "You haven't done your research, where are you even getting this number from". Is this just par for the course?
  • discopalacediscopalace Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    Thanks all for your advice and feedback! I purchased a 2013 EX AWD!

Here's the breakdown:
    - Invoice (incl destination): 24,379
    - My price (including destination): 23,800 (1,579 below invoice)
    - Sales tax (city of chicago 9.5%): 2279
    - Doc & other fees: 189
    - Incentives: 500 (flex cash for financing)
    - Total out-the-door: 25,768

I started the process about two weeks ago, getting quotes from a bunch of dealers in the Chicago area. I ended up with 12-15 quotes. I didn't know about Brian's suggestion to find the Internet sales manager directly, so I asked for quotes through the dealers' websites. I got very quick responses from customer service reps. Half the time, I got quotes directly from them (even though they aren't true sales reps). In the other half of cases, a sales rep was assigned and made contact directly with me.

I found that the quotes varied greatly - about $1000 in range. Many of the quotes were teaser quotes. E.g., they left out the destination charge, or they assumed you qualified for $500-$1000 in incentives and built it into their price. I had to go back and explicitly ask the dealers to clarify their quotes (and remove incentives). I think these guys just wanted to lure me into their dealerships. They didn't seem willing to deal over e-mail either, so I walked away from talking to them further.

Luckily, some of the dealers gave competitive quotes with a clear description of the cost items. The good quotes came from Carr's Honda, Honda on Grand, Planet Honda, Fletcher Jones (after clarification), and Valley Honda. Carr's had a higher quote originally, but they lowered it over e-mail after I followed up a couple times. I then came to the Carr's dealership, told them I was ready to buy today, and they gave me my asking price. It was very pleasant working with them.

One pleasant surprise was flex cash. I was planning on paying cash, but the finance manager talked to me about the $500 flex cash incentive for financing. You only need to finance a minimum of $7500 at 0.9% APR (with good credit). And you only need to make 3 payments. So I said why not, I could pay the tiny bit of interest on these 3 payments, then pay it all off - and as a result, I got another $500 off!

Thanks again to Brian and all for your feedback. I do see that it's a game of supply and demand. Many dealers didn't want to get anywhere close to $1000 under invoice. Others were willing. Doing some research can really help you identify which dealerships are most open to internet collaboration and most hungry for your business. I have a new car now!!! :)
    Great deal................... Good job... you played the game well!!!!!

Enjoy your new ride.

Brian

• jsempejsempe Member Posts: 2
    I have an offert of 24,000$ not including fees, is this sound right please help before I take the offert. This is in Takoma MD.
  • prezrivprezriv Member Posts: 12
    I am looking to buy a CRV with Back Up camera and navigation package (GPS). Which trim I will be looking for?

Thx
  • mstronginmstrongin Member Posts: 4
    EX-L with NAV in either 2WD or AWD.
    Folks, any advice on my posting above regarding purchasing a CRV would be appreciated.
    whats your question

Hi Brian. I was just wondering about the numbers I mentioned in post 12651. Are they too aggressive. After reading your previous posts I would really value your opinion.
    edited August 2013
    Your best deal will come buying the 2013 model. the target price to buy should fall between 1000 below invoice price to as high as 1700 below. plus on top of that any incentives / rebates that apply to you.

2014 models will be priced closer to the sticker price. If you could find a dealer willing to sell you a 2014 at dealers invoice that would be a no- brainer buy it!

Here is your models invoice price and dest charge of $ 830

27,264... EXL,,,.fwd , with Nav
    total is ...........28,094 minus your target price to buy lets say 1500
    - 1500= 26,594.... this price would exclude

your states taxes, dmv fee, dealers doc fee charge. after final out the door numbers are calculated minus any flex cash/ loyalty, or conquest incentives that dealership is offering.

Getting your target price depends on your area and supply and demand of models. Just because i can get 1500 below here in new york does not mean you could get it in your state. Another factor in pricing is I may be a better negotiator than you.

any more questions just post with my name i will help you.

Good luck

Thanks Brian. I doubt I'll get those numbers here with the way things are going but we'll see.
  • terentententerententen Member Posts: 1
    Guys, looks like a lot of great discussion going on in here. Did a thread search for the Philadelphia area and it doesn't look like any active dealing has been going on. I see a lot of talk about pricing way under invoice. I've gotten a few quotes from dealers around the area and none have come close to pricing that low. I was planning on buying this labor day weekend, which would be last day of the month, so I was hoping to get some guidance on supply/demand and good dealers in the Philly area if anyone knows. Is there a chance to get a price that far under invoice?
  • tco05tco05 Member Posts: 8
    Looking to purchase a CR-V at the end of September. I assume the best days to buy would be that last weekend... 28/29?

Also, what are the best sites for the most accurate dealer invoice pricing? Considering either an AWD EX or AWD EX-L. What would be a good target price to shoot for on those models? I'm in MD, near DC.
    Not much talk in here or the accord pricing forum about Philly pricing

I would take surrounding area dealerships that are selling cheaper a make a deal with them

you should check out the Accord prices forum they are rocking over there with great buying info and dealerships.

Good luck

If you have item wise quote from Katy honda can you please send me I am planing to buy today ...
  • nmalnmal Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    I am leasing a CRV LX base model AWD for $226/mo, 36 mo, 12k miles/yr and 2150 out of pocket at sign up (all fees, dmv, taxes and new plates, nothing more will be added).

I am in the NYC area.

I hope I got a good deal. How do I calculate what the actual price (invoice?) of the vehicle was?
  • sunil10sunil10 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am interested in purchasing new 2013 CRV exl AWD with Nav and have done some shop around different dealers in Minneapolis . Here is high level cost I have received from them.

Dealer Sale Price - 29,364
    MSRP - 31125
    Edmund invoice price - 29264

Additional for OTD

420 Govn Fees
    $1,929 Taxes
    $75 Doc Fee
    What will be my best price for this model ?

Appreciate help.
    Thx
    edited August 2013
    Brian,

I'm working on the 2013 CRV EX and trying to get $1k below invoice plus incentives.

I've done the legwork contacting all the NYC area dealers you mention (Yonkers, New Rochelle and Bay Ridge) and also calling into several of the NJ area dealers you mentioned previously as well - no one has gotten me anywhere near the prices I hoped or see posted here.

The best offer I have gotten is $700 below invoice, but that is including flex in all cases (or they are telling me that flex isn't available). Looks like I am failing on all counts. What am I doing wrong?

Yonkers told me that they couldn't help - they are offering invoice price to local buyers. New Rochelle quoted me just a couple of hundred below invoice - but that is already including flex....could use some tips/advice beyond talking to the internet manager and asking for $x below invoice if you have them. When I tell them I'm looking for $1500 below invoice their answer is unanimously - that's not going to happen.

I've called into a couple of the MD dealerships people have posted about and got better pricing from them but I'm trying to avoid the drive there, especially since they are not willing to email me a quote or take a credit card deposit and I'm worried about them playing with pricing after I take the drive out.

Help!
    Edmunds home page /New car pricing

All i could say is read my posts and apply it. Wait til friday/ Sat to buy. The pricing your recieving is terrible. On Sat re visit dealersips on pricing it will be alot lower. Read my postings in the Accord forum i have posted some good buying tips and advice.

• nmalnmal Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply but I was unable to find out how to calculate what the price of the car is going backwards from my downpayment and monthly lease payment. I just want to know if what I am paying is a "good" deal.
    Unfortunately we are leaving town tomorrow night and will be gone this weekend. Is my best bet then to wait until end of next month?