Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    yes unless pricing changes.At those prices i would buy out of state.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• lakeplateaulakeplateau Member Posts: 1
    That price would include the destination, no nav or res. I live in UT and was wondering if that's a decent deal if it includes 1000 in rebates to me. Seems like I could get it a little less, but was wonder what you all thought.
  • guest2011guest2011 Member Posts: 30
    OTD $ 25,787.50 DCH Paramus, NJ. This price is so ridiculously high negotiating anything will bring it ~$1000 down. Every stealer intentionally inflates price to take into account incentives, costco auto scam program, loyalty, all that bs... After all negotiations and wasted time its going to be their "best price" and this crippled car with the jump seat is not worth that much.

When you add up incentives it may seem like a lot but keep in mind prices are intentionally inflated. Nobody would even sell one at invoice in my area. Forget below. Too many fools here willing to pay and don't walk away. I guess it depends on location/demand.
  • dks9dks9 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for information I also bought from R&S , 2013 LX with tint window, nitrozen, and trunck protector OTD price was $22,200, I also qualified for Loyalty and 0.9%.
    edited August 2013
    I bombarded 3-4 dealers with different emails/names/phone numbers, via online chat, email, phone, and one place went in person. So far nobody would give a reasonable quote on the base bare LX that i can deal with and negotiate down. Some refuse to give info. I need to go there in person to get any numbers out of them or else i'm not a serious buyer. Several quotes OTD/delivered

$25, 788
    $25, 500...400...300... numbers went down proportionally to my speed of walking away
    $26,100+

When i go to try one last time tomorrow i will ask for a breakdown but these numbers are so overinflated there are not enough incentives to bring them down to even a reasonable number. Some just arrived, some have been on the lot for weeks.

"Incentives"

$500? loyalty
    $? finance at least $8000. No penalty for early prepayment
    $? costco auto scam program - allows other incentives, not all dealers participate
    $? Dealer processing fee is usually from $288 to $399. Ok to deduct since dealer needs to
    do paperwork to sell cars anyway? Why am i paying extra in addition to already high profit?
    $? transferring old plates should give me 50% off of DMV fee, according to one dealer. $65-75+ depending on the scammers.

With all of the above its still $3-4k more than this trim is worth. I'll post whatever number i get + fees and tax. No idea what the invoice is because when dealer started showing me books i just don't buy this BS that they average $300 per car profit considering how much it costs to run a joint like that. As a buyer i only care about value for the money and not how much who makes when where. I also doubt dealers pay upfront for every car on the lot.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    edited August 2013
    No, end of Sept will probably be too late as most of the 2013s will be gone. Most dealers are not getting anymore 2013 CR-Vs and stock is already getting low (at least in my area here in TX).
  • bob974bob974 Member Posts: 19
    I live in phoenix Arizona shopping for 2013 Honda CR V EX L sofar the best price I got is OTD $28,200

Invoice price $26,948+doc fees + 7.95% sales tax - $ 500 incentive for 2003 or newer car and $ 500 for Honda financing

is this the best price we can get?, does waiting for one more month bring the price down?.

please suggest
  • arvjarvj Member Posts: 7
    Yes, the chances are high that you will be able to get a better price but you will surely have no control to pick the color you want (will be lucky if you can still find the color you want).

Having said that, I think $28,200 is high for a OTD price on a 2013 CRV EX-L for FWD. If it is AWD, then I think it is a decent price if not the best deal. For a FWD though closer to or less than $27,000 OTD is a good price based on the quotes I am getting from dealers in the past 2-3 days.
  • nmalnmal Member Posts: 3
    I live in the NYC boroughs. I paid 23,500 for the base model LX AWD. I gave them 2150 which included all fees, taxes, DMV and new plates.

I am paying 226/mo for 36 mo/ 12k miles/year.

I financed through Honda finance.

The residual is 15,600.

I don't think I got a steal but I negotiated until I was tired with 2 diff dealers. I honestly don't know how low I could have talked them down. Reading these posts makes me wonder.
  • infotalkinfotalk Member Posts: 2
    Sunil,

Can you share which dealer in AZ is giving you 28.2 OTD ?

I am looking for Nav FWD and the best price I have got including all incentives is 30.0 OTD. Do you think that is a good price ?

Also what do you think about 2014 Nav FWD @ 31.5 ?

-A
  • infotalkinfotalk Member Posts: 2
    Brian,

Can you also guide on the numbers that I have posted above ? Need some direction from experts.

-A
  • wallbobbycwallbobbyc Member Posts: 4
    Can folks please NOT post their OTD price but rather the actual price of the car - any incentives/breaks they received. It's pointless to post OTD prices - tax is different in every state, and in my state, there is no tax at all, so it becomes difficult to figure out what you're actually paying sometimes.

That said, can somebody give ballpark of target prices? I'm looking specifically at EX-L 2013's. What I can glean from this thread is that invoice - $1000 to $1500, minus incentives, most commonly $500 conquest/loyalty and $500 to finance with Honda. Does that sound right?
    yes

edited August 2013
    Target price 1000 to 1500 below invoice price depending on your area and supply and demand factor. plus any incentives that apply to you. then add sales tax, dmv charge, and doc fee for your otd pricing.

Dest/ Charge of $830 is added to the invoice price. then minus your target price off that. this number is what your Target price to buy is at every dealership you contact by phone / email or visit..

Hi
    What do you think is best price for 2013 honda crv ex l have quoted $ 27,500.00 waiting for the dealers to respond
    Right honda
  • jsempejsempe Member Posts: 2
    See if this coul help anyone, I just got this vehicle for 24,500$ before any fees, had to pay about 2,000$ more for destination , tax, tag and proc fees.

Also add a Roof Rails, Cross bars and Tailgate Spoiler, and my new CR-V looks great.

For a 2013 model I did find an offert for 23,000$ before fees. Fairfax Honda.

Good Luck.
    edited August 2013
    Planet H.....$26,9k OTD dealer's offer. Of all stealers this one is the worst. I've had numbers in upper $25, $26,100 was the highest but so far all the numbers are hyperinflated to account for "incentives". This is true for all brands, not just Honda. I've had similar experience at Subaru and Mazda has fewer BS fees but higher starting price. Then after you've negotiated for hours, days, weeks, tired, exhausted you end up paying a lot more than the car is worth. Its worth about $19,000 i was going for ~$23,000 +/- OTD. Some of the Planet's BS fees:

$595 AP-Pack - pin stripes + door edge guard package. LOL
    $339 DMV fee. Transferring old plates is $159. This number seems standard bc mazda told me same
    $399 doc fee. Excessive. Dealer needs to sell cars and do paperwork anyway. Scam!
    $349 window etching. more LOL
    7.50 NJ tire fee. This is new to me since i haven't shopped for a new car in 10 yrs
    $10 online processing fee. New to me. Most likely BS.

VIP down rt22 gave me $26,1+ OTD number. One of the fees was $900 tire lock package. Made me laugh. I think i have "MORON" written on my forehead. I think all stealers see every buyer as a moron.

PS - "end of month/holiday" is a hype to get us in the showroom. Dealerships seemed less busy than any other day of the month. I was told on the phone and email prices are very aggressive and now is the time for "amazing deals". I can't stop laughing at these numbers and scamming tactics. Ended up with worse numbers than before.
  • pompompompom Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a 2013 Honda CrV EX. I test drove this car during the day. If you are considering purchasing this car I would suggest that you test drive it at night also. Very poor exterior lighting so much so that when it is on Auto (the lights automatically come on) the brights come on 9 out of 10 times and I am not driving in a rural area. You can imagine how other drivers like this but truthfully the lights are not shining at the pavement they are shining upwards so I need the brights on in order to be able to see. I have never ever had this problem before and would never have thought to test drive a car at night. I am extremely sorry that I purchased this car as the dealer is no help at all. All I am suggesting is that you test drive this car at night without the brights on and see if this works for you. A very expensive mistake on my part!.
  • jewelteajeweltea Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    We just bought the above car. The breakdown was:

$22,255.37 Price of Vehicle (includes destination)
    $910.17 Virginia Tax (4%)
    $26.71 Dealer Business Tax
    $10.00 On-line System Filing Fee
    $499.00 Processing Fee
    $48.75 Tag, Title, Registration
    $23,750
    -$1,000 Incentives (financed through Honda for 0.9%)
    $22,750 Out the Door Price

I emailed a lot of dealers and asked for the out the door price. Most would not give it to me. Of the ones who did, this was the second best price. One in Maryland was slightly cheaper (I think it was less than $100 cheaper) but I did not totally trust him since he gave me the price on the phone and would not email me the information even when I asked for it. This would have been a significant drive for me and I did not want to go all the way over there for a bait and switch. Plus they did not have my first color choice which I got at this dealer. The Maryland dealer said I would have to pay $500 for them to find me my first color choice. Most of the dealers that even gave me an out the door price were much higher than we paid.

This was pretty much a basic model. My husband did insist on the AWD. It did come with mud flaps and door guards.

Hope this helps someone. I live in Northern Virginia and this was Hendrick of Woodbridge.
  • mmommo Member Posts: 4
    Just signed the papers on a 2014 silver ex-l fwd in houston for $25995 + destination. I was originally considering a 2013 for $24376 + destination and needing to finance with Honda. I asked the 2013 dealer to match or beat the other price. He said that 25995 was a price for a 2013 and he'd be happy to sell a 2013 for 25995. It was a no brainer as the 2013 dealer offered a 2014 for 26610 + destination. I saw the 2014 for $25995 only had 2 miles on it with plastic still on everything including the wheels. Hope this helps.
    MMO, was that price after incentives? If $500+500, so basically $26995 + destination + title etc?
  • mmommo Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2013
    Wallbobbyc, I don't believer there are any incentives on the 2014. That was just the straight up price. So it came out to $25995+ destination + tt&l.
  • bj77bj77 Member Posts: 13
    Hello,

I'm getting a used 12 CRV EXL AWD for 21 k OTD with 19 K miles...Can someone let me know if this is a good deal?

Thanks
    B
  • vdg650vdg650 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2013 EX-L AWD (*no* nav or rear entertainment)

Price of vehicle: $27,661 (includes destination charge of $863)
    Less loyalty incentive: -$500
    Less flex cash: -$500
    Administrative fee: $199
    Title and Lien recording fee: $17

Final cost: $26,877
    So this is basically $1860 under invoice+destination charge, when you factor in the incentives. Or $1000 under invoice not considering the destination charge.

This doesn't include sales tax or registration or any of that.

They tried to charge me $460 for mud flaps and door guards, which they said they "put on all their vehicles, it's standard". I said that was nice, but they could remove them because I wasn't going to pay for them. They backed down after the second or third time I said it and I got them free. Dumb.

The first dealership I tried wouldn't budge from 28,100, and that didn't include the destination charge and whatever other BS they were going to try to add on, so that was a waste of time.
    edited August 2013
    Nice! I had the same experience. I got a quote over email for a price, and showed it to the dealer that is closest to me and they still wouldn't budge. Ok, I can drive 45 minutes for $1200.
    edited August 2013
    vehicle selling price $23,571
    sales tax 7% $1649.97
    NJ tire tax fee $7.50
    doc fee $359.00
    reg/title $69.50 (transferred old plates and old reg was still active if it makes any difference)

total OTD/Delivered $25,657

No incentives on 2014, no 0.9% financing, no loyalty $500. Only on 2013. I paid $5,657 more than this car is really worth. Keep in mind value for the money no matter what sales tell you. LX isn't worth that much.

"extras" i received for "free": no stupid ugly pin stripes, "protection package" includes free mud guards, rubber mats and rear cargo area lining. Cheap soft quality rubber. I can get better quality from walmart.

The "package" i would prefer is wheel locks and color matched door edge guard. Manager i dealt with went to check with himself if he could do this "deal" several times and returned saying his boss manager said i have to pay $340 extra for the "package". At first he said he'd "work with me" on the package because its the last day and they needed to sell many cars. They "lose" on the price but make up for it by volume. Doesn't matter if i get invoice price. "Next _____ will pay $7000 over..." so i started walking and then the manager went to check with himself again. I asked why he needed to check with the manager if he's the manager. "That's right. I don't need to check with anybody. I'll give you the package for 'free'" LOL

I didn't get a good deal or a good car.
    > I didn't get a good deal or a good car.

Why did you buy it then? I've read a bunch of your posts and you seem super pissed off that you have to buy this car. Is your spouse making you buy it? Bizarre.
    voices in my head
  • wantrepreneurwantrepreneur Member Posts: 2
    We just got ours today after negotiating at a bunch of different places for a period of couple of weeks, both over internet and in person.

OTD in California - $29,500 (including 8.75% sales tax, license, doc, tire, efile fees)

MSRP : $29,875
    Invoice : $28,094
    Purchase Price : $26,761

So we had a savings of $833 off invoice plus $500 in flex cash.

Hope that helps. This was in Bay Area, Larry Hopkins Honda in Sunnyvale. I thought it was a decent deal. Wife is really happy with the car, so I am happy :)
    > voices in my head

I believe you, 110%.
  • xenium10xenium10 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I have been in the market for a new car all month and started really negotiating with dealers in the past couple of weeks.

Last week, I received an email from Planet Honda in NJ stating that they were selling a 2013 CRV EX AWD for 23,200. Planet Honda was a little too far for me to get to so I started shopping around using that price as a starting point for negotiations.

Open Road Honda in Edison NJ was the only dealer willing to undercut Planet Honda. They came in at $22,900 (plus accessories delivery and installation charges)

vehicle selling price (with all extras) $24134.00
    sales tax 7% $1895.88
    NJ tire tax fee $7.50
    doc fee $398.00
    reg/title $282.00

Total OTD/Delivered $26427.88

We took advantage of the 0.9% / 60 month finance agreement. I financed most of it (over $24,000) and over the life of the loan Honda Financial will receive a hefty $600.00 LOL.

Dealing with Open Road was a great experience; they negotiated when most other local companies wouldn't and as long you have fair expectations going into negotiations, you will enjoy the experience of dealing with this company.
    Hello - Can someone help us here?
  • newcar67newcar67 Member Posts: 6
    Purchased one on Friday in NY area.

$26,300 + Tax + DMV

Called almost 10 dealers in NY/NJ area. No one would go under 26900. Finally one dealer budged on Friday.

Was not eligible for Conquest cash as I had 2002 Nissan. They claimed they were out of Flex cash (did not believe them).

Anyway, got one for $1500 under invoice, perhaps could have bargained for couple of hundred more.

Good luck to every one with your purchase.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Try posting your question here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9c851/44054#MSG44054

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Please post what dealer you bought from in New York?????

TKS

Thank you!
  • sl168sl168 Member Posts: 7
    This sounds like a very good deal. I live in the same area and wants to buy a similar model. Any additional options? Did you go thru Internet or direct deal with a salesperson?
  • yareedayareeda Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,

Just wanted to share the price I paid for the 2013 CRV EX-L FWD. Not sure if it is a great deal but it definitely was a good buying experience Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos, CA. Thanks to the sales rep Susanne Yim.

Sale Price: $25,998 (including destination fee)
    Flex Cash: -$500 (through Honda financing)
    Didn't qualify for the conquest discount of $500 as I didn't own the qualifying brands
    +TTL & Doc fee

Hopefully this data helps another prospective buyer.
  • newcar67newcar67 Member Posts: 6
    Brian, first of all thanks for keeping this forum going. It was of great help during my purchase.

I bought it from White Plains Honda. Here are some impressions of the dealerships in the area.

Yonkers Honda - the internet guy was rude on the phone.
    Curry Honda & Tarrytown Honda - just wished me luck in getting the price I was looking for (1200-1500 below invoice). Curry Honda sent couple of long (canned) emails explaining why dealers in NJ are bad and how it is more expensive to purchase in NJ. Never quote a their own price.
    DCH Paramus - really good, very close to matching the price, but did not close the deal.
    New Rochelle Honda - Went there in person on Friday. The manager came and told me that my price was too low and they will lose money at that prices.

Walked out and made unplanned stop at White Plains Honda on the way back home. They gave the price I was looking for.

On Saturday, New Rochelle Honda left three messages on my voice-mail. Well, it just happened to be 31st of the month :-)

So Brian - your method works!!! Thank you.
  • mstronginmstrongin Member Posts: 4
    You did very well on your own, especially since the TrueCar price available through one of their dealers is $25,890 (dest included).
  • housegirlsoflhousegirlsofl Member Posts: 1
    Looking for the best out the door price on either a 2013 or 2014 CRV EX-L, 2 wheel drive with no other extras. Going through internet managers. Is there anyone in this area that has a recent experience?

Thanks so much!
    edited September 2013
    newcar67

Thank-you enjoy your new Crv.

Buying a CRV is not easy with dealerships unwillingness to deal on phone/ email or in dealerships. Supply and Demand on most models dwindling down right now. Knowing how and when to buy helps. You did better than most bringing in several dealerships making your best deal at the end of the month. Who is going to blink first. Most of the time its us not the dealership and they know it.

I have long standing relationships with alot of honda dealerships my name goes along way when mentioned in deals. I find the problem today is people are reading my posts and dont listen how to buy, so they call some of these dealerships with a price 8/9 days into the month and these dealerships want no part of that. You buy at months end last 2 days last day. I mention certain dealerships that i know how they operate . Do they always sell at our targeted price ?? No But there better than the rest. I have had 2 dealerships ask me to stop posting there names in here cause people calling, emailing with pricing that was so out of the ball park.

Just reading forum prices from other states does not mean you can get that price in your area. By knowing your area's market price/ how and when to buy will get you the best possible deal along with some of my buying tips.

Hope the rest did well this month

• sss2430sss2430 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I am looking for the same model and trying to get this price. Since the dealers ask for some proof or documentation, if you are ok would you be able to send us some info on this purchase. It would be very helpful and is much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Shubha
  • rufus4554rufus4554 Member Posts: 7
    great job! i'm sorry i missed all of your messages. once i bought the crv i did not come back on - i was sure people would start getting better deals once the 2014's came out. i just needed a car sooner now that we have a baby.

anyways, i hope R&S was good to you. that's a really good price, especially with all of those add-ons! i got my windows tinted by a local shop for 140 and bought a cargo tray for 75 on ebay. so all in all, i paid 22,715 (including loyalty and 0.9%).

i did not like dealing with honda of katy, even though they had the lowest sales price. all their add ons and daily phone calls got really tiring.
    Is it better to get tint at Honda since they know their cars or have some experience with CRV or 3rd parties? The dealer where i bought mine doesn't do tint.
  • rufus4554rufus4554 Member Posts: 7
    i bought an LX which does not have any tint. the EX would have tint, however. if you want "expert" installation, i'd go with an EX. however, if you choose your own tint shop, you'll have the option to choose the quality of film and the darkness. you can also choose to tint the front two windows to have a consistent look all around. it's really up to you. i saw on a few posts that some dealers send their cars to local shops, and just mark it up for the sale. my dealer charges $299 for tint; i paid $140 and got it to look the way i want (20% all around).
  • arvjarvj Member Posts: 7
    I finally bought my 2013 CR-V EX-L FWD last weekend in Texas. The break-up is as follows:

MSRP (including dest): $28,375
    List Price (including dest): $26,013
    Incentives (Flex Cash + Conquest Cash): $1,000
    Final OTD price: $27,000

Got the following accessories too for $500 as a last minute call (Body Side Moulding, Door edge Guards, Cargo Tray, Wheel Locks, Splash Guards)
  • scooter827scooter827 Member Posts: 6
    Pulled the trigger yesterday on a new 2013 black on black ex-l awd with NAV

got it for 27500 incuding desitination + tax and title

I like it so far
  • sss2430sss2430 Member Posts: 4
    Hi scooter827,
    Can you let me know which dealer you purchased it from ?

Thanks, appreciate it!