Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wantrepreneurwantrepreneur Member Posts: 2
    I started the research online, had a low price on hand quoted by a dealer that I was ready to pay but the dealer was in Santa Rosa and I am in Mountain View. I took that price to a few local dealers and bought from one who came the closest to it and had the model my wife wanted.
  • cowboy62cowboy62 Member Posts: 9
    Bought 2013 CR-V EX FWD with final OTD price $24,900, with tinited window, splash gaurds, wheel locks, and cargo tray.

Bought it from Cleo Bay Honda in Killeen, TX last week.
  • bob974bob974 Member Posts: 19
    still on market for 2013 Honda CRV EX-L I am looking at a $27,500 OTD in phoenix/Scottsdale AZ, closest quote I got is $ 28,200 I am not sure if I have to wait till end of September?

can any one suggest?.
  • scooter827scooter827 Member Posts: 6
    Honda Gallery. Reading, Massachusetts
  • wallbobbycwallbobbyc Member Posts: 4
    I got a good, not great deal on a 2013 CR-V EX-L AWD - 26,650 OTD after a 1250 trade-in everything included including all weather mats and cargo tray. The trade-in is significant only in that blue book on the trade-in was about $600, so some discount was included in that. I could have probably gotten a slightly better deal in a color I did not want from another dealer; also my region (Oregon) has higher demand for CR-V's than other parts of the country so prices are higher here.
  • sss2430sss2430 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I am in NJ...
    I am still looking then :)
  • sss2430sss2430 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    Any luck with providing me some info ? :) I want to go to the same dealers as they are the ones nearest (so to say)... Would really appreciate your inputs!

thanks once again
  • 29er29er29er29er Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

How much did you pay for yours? I was 10 month Honda Fit was totaled a week ago by some idiot when it was parked outside our house. We might want to upgrade to a bigger car.

Thank you.
  • newcar67newcar67 Member Posts: 6
    $26300 + tax & dmv
    Thank you so much. I will give it a shot then. Did you get wheel locks? I was really paranoid about the wheels on my Fit.
  • tco05tco05 Member Posts: 8
    Brian,

I've read through your posts here for about the last 3-4 months, gearing up for a 2013 CR-V buy at the end of the month. Took some time tonight and read through your Accord posts you called out for details on strategy...they're awesome, thank you!

When is the right time to buy in September? Am I going to get the best deals the last weekend, or do I need to push over into Monday the 30th?

I think you've posted it before, but I live in MD - what are the volume dealers I should target?

Thanks, TC
    Please provide some proof if you do not mind. Great price.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited September 2013
    Tc
    Start sending out your emails/ calls to the dealerships last 5 days before the end of this month. Negotiate with dealerships thru emails and phone until you strike a deal closest to your target price. By waiting til the very end of Sept you will find dealers more eager to earn your business with better pricing than earlier in the month. If a dealer meets your target price sooner close the deal. There have been some good info on M.d dealerships and pricing In both the Accord and CRV forums. i recieved a great price last month on a 2013 honda civic from Pohanka they beat everyone's price on the East Coast

In Addition to your list of dealers here are some more dealerships to email/ call

Pohanka, Sport, Criswell, Anderson.

The first 3 dealers mentioned have been selling close to 1500 below invoice price. That still does not mean you may get that price. Your negotiation skills, buying at months end along with:

Supply and demand will be a factor in your pricing. A dealership that has 15 CRV's of your model is where you will get your best deal oppose to a dealer with 2 or 3 on his lot.

Good luck

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• russ_aruss_a Member Posts: 3
    I'm thankful to the posters on this board. Toward the end of August I emailed around local dealers to get a model year-end deal on a 2013 CRV. I got a decent quote on a 2014 model, so did that instead. Below is the price I paid for a 2014 CRV EX-L AWD, no extras.
    Prime Honda, via internet manager, had best price. No other dealer was even close on a 2014, and this wasn't a lot more than the 2013 quotes I received (maybe $900 more than the lowest 2013 quote), so I went ahead with newer model year, even though the cars are essentially the same.

26,800 includes destination
    DMV fee + tax + dealer doc fee (295)

From this forum, I knew that I had a decent price, which took all the stress out of the car buying experience. I hope this helps you as this forum helped me!
  • tco05tco05 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Brian. From the research I've done, I think I have a handle on what I want my target to be. Think these are realistic based on the figures for invoice price?

EX: (invoice price) 24,544-1500 = 23,044+830 (dest) = 23,874 + TTL = Target?

I did get a carwoo offer from sheehy in VA for 24,100+TTL, so OTD at $25,734.
  • mmzmmz Member Posts: 10
    Does the 26800 include the DMV fee + tax + dealer doc fee (295) ?

I was trying to get 2013 crv ex awd for $25000 otd (including all taxes and
    fees) in upstate NY. Contacted several dealers in PA and NY but the best offers
    I got was $25500 (car had 800 miles) and $25999. Instead I got 2013
    crv ex-l awd for $26100 otd ($23940 +TTL and fees), which was preowned
    for 4 months and has 5000 miles.
    Your target is $23,874 and you have an offer for $24100? This is just
    $226 difference on a $24000 purchase (less than 1%). I would just
    take the offer (I noticed that the dealers I looked at sold quite a few
    of the 2013's in the last several days; so it is a delicate game).
  • hmakadiahmakadia Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    I am new to the forum, and would like your advise on buying the CRV-EX 2013, can you please let me know the best price to pay for the vehicle in NJ and what dealer to approach. Also how can we have dealer include in the additions like cargo tray and splash mats..?
    Will greatly appreciate all your replies.

Thanks.
  • sopaxinsopaxin Member Posts: 3
    Did anyone buy a Honda CRV LX in the greater L.A. area recently? How much did you pay for? Thx!
  • wuwei1wuwei1 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2014 CR-V LX FWD with no add-ons for 22500 OTD everything included. No financing. Is this a good deal? Asked for 2013, but got the same quote for 2014.
    The best quote I got is $24000 OTD in L.A. Where did you get your deal?
  • wuwei1wuwei1 Member Posts: 2
    In NC. It has 5 miles on it.Invoice is $22,384 online including destination charge.The dealer's selling price is: 21274, it's 1110 below invoice. Is it a great deal?
    Note that in LA the tax is 9% and in NC it is 3%. So you are paying $1200
    more in taxes and the actual purchase prices are quite similar.
    Thanks to both of you for the information and explanation. That makes perfect sense. It is nonetheless a great deal. Congratulations! My before the fee/tax price is still a bit higher here in L.A. Ouch!
  • mel214mel214 Member Posts: 2
    I live in MI and I started out negotiating price on a 2013 EX 2WD.. the best offer so far "OTD" 25,647.00 I told them my out the door target was 24000.00

What I do not understand is that after a couple of weeks of negotiations online dealers have offered 25000 OTD for the 2014 OR the 2013. I've heard all kinds of things like- "all of us are out of 2013 models", "I only have an LX" , I've been quoting you prices for the 2014 ( i clearly stated I wanted a 2013) but mostly they seem to want to focus on selling the 2014 for around the same price they were naming for the 2013, actually I have yet to receive a lower price for the 2013.

I am guessing maybe they do not have a large stock of 2013's left or any at all, but it is 9 months old at this point so why not deal a price to get it off the lot? That is another area where I have noticed they backpedal - oh I don't have an EX- I have an LX - I have also worked with an OH dealer, that has been somewhat competitive, but when I gave my offer of 24,000. he wanted to know "where did I get that price" I didn't even bother indulging him in my reasoning- I thought is was a fair offer given the age of the vehicle.
    I have yet to step foot on a lot. I will not talk on the phone. Email has been fairly successful thus far. I do like having some negotiating power over email--- i get one offer and pose it to another dealer to get a better offer and so on. I still am not sure that I am getting the lowest possible offer and I am 1000.00 over my target.

What is my next step? I was thinking of laying low until the end of the month- per suggestions throughout the forum. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    $24000 otd is a hard target, with 6% tax in MI you are looking at below
    $22650 selling price. Last month there was about $1000 discount available from Honda (if you took their financing), which seems gone now. Perhaps
    some new incentive will become available so the dealers prefer to sit
    on the 2013 rather than sell at very low price?
  • lgbarbielgbarbie Member Posts: 3
    1. You are expecting too much. I agree with MMZ; and

2. If you want to seriously deal, you need to go in and meet somebody who you think you will want to contract with. Or at least do it by phone. You won't do as well strictly with internet E mails. Once they know you and that you are serious, they tend to deal better.

Simply passing around E mails from dealer to dealer does not impress them; it irritates them and may cause them not to respond at all. They don't want to feel played. Would you?

Anyway that's my humble opinion. I think you are close to where you need to be to make a deal, and expect that it will be easier towards the end of September, but then you are stuck with whatever they have not already sold. If that does not bother you, then you will surely find something good. It is a great car.
    I agree with just emails. I try never to step foot in dealerships until i'm picking up my vehicle. Read my posts in the Accord forum on buying and then ask me any questions you have you will do alot better than you are now.

POSTS, 30,550, 30,558, 30575, 30,642, 30,660, 30,682, 30,723

good luck

• jaymatjaymat Member Posts: 3
    Hi I am in same boat as you, have you found any good deals in so FL I am in delray boca area but willing to drive if the price is right !? Would really appreciate it if you could share what you found out !.. wondering if you get a discount for referrals lol TY Jan
  • mel214mel214 Member Posts: 2
    thank you for your thoughts. I am not trying to impress anyone. I am trying not to be taken advantage of, no one likes to be played or taken advantage of, I doubt they are thinking about how I feel about the process. It is not personal, it is business. I work in a sales environment. I am very aware of various sales tactics that I have already been subject to through email.
    Did any one buy honda cr v exl in phoenix or Scottsdale az recently I am shopping for one

Want to know other experiences
    Sorry I wasn't more clear. The 26800 is just the price + destination. The licensing and dealer fees, and tax were in addition to that price. I didn't try to negotiate the dealer fee; no other dealer was close on price so I didn't have leverage, and I also felt that the price was good enough.
  • kat91kat91 Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone! I am a first time car new car buyer navigating unfamiliar territory. I have been reading up on how to get the best deal, MSRP vs invoice, etc. but I'm still finding it quite confusing! The only dealership in my area with good online reviews is Yonkers Honda (I live in Brooklyn), so I called them and they quoted me 28,200 on a 2014 CRV EX-L, FWD, no extras. Plus tax and 830 $ destination, which he said he could maybe knock down a bit even though he "never, ever does that for anyone", but would do it for me after speaking to me on the phone for all of 30 seconds (maybe I just have a very sexy voice :) ) Tax will be 2,500. So that would put me at 31,530 OTD before he comes down on the destination. Can anyone tell me if this is a decent deal as well as how much negotiating room I have? Thanks!
  • lgbarbielgbarbie Member Posts: 3
    Russ in Boston --> That is a GREAT price for the EX-L AWD. Congratulations.
    I paid a little more for the 2013 2WD EX-L but I also added some extras including the service package and an extended warranty. I did not want the AWD as I don't spend much time in snow or near mountains. I am very happy with the purchase. Dealers seem to have more AWDs available in the EX-L model left from 2013, but many dealers are running low on 2013 stock if you want leather.
    Highly recommend Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge, VA for those in the metro Washington DC area. This was my third Honda vehicle purchased there and those guys are terrific to deal with.
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    That is not a good price, real high. Sounds like an opening price, not what you should be settling for.

Have you checked the Brooklyn dealers, Plaza and Bay Ridge? What are they offering?

I live on Staten Island and have bought several cars from SI Honda. You have to tell them the price you expect to pay, if it is reasonable they will try to accommodate you.

Good luck.
    To those looking for 2014 CRV EXL AWD:

Just thought I would add that, after I had already bought, another dealer came back to me with $26900 (which included destination), so it seems to be a level where dealers are willing to price. This same dealer had quoted me $28100 5 days prior. This follow up quote happened right at the end of the August, so month end does seem to matter as Brian has helpfully written on this board.

As an aside, in the finance office I noticed my folder had "$500 flex" written on it. Maybe that's helpful context for those of you who know more about such things.
  • ram80ram80 Member Posts: 6
    Hi mel214,

Any luck with your 2014 crv EX yet? I just started looking for the same model in Texas and wondering what price I should offer to the dealers. What is the best you have gotten so far? I got 25,800 OTD with 6.25% tax here in TX.
  • pluto656pluto656 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to share my experience/price paid here. I got a lot of helpful information from this forum before purchasing, so I just want to pay it forward if I can. I live/purchased in Maryland, where the sales tax is 6%. Sorry for all the text, the price breakdown is below.

I started out negotiating with dealerships online, using the method outlined in this website: http://www.findthebestcarprice.com/email-1/

After pitting dealers against each other for a couple of days (never setting foot in a dealership or speaking to anyone on the phone), I got a total, OTD price of $22,808 on a new 2013 Honda CRV LX Auto AWD. We settled on this price, and I had all of our emails in writing. He assured me that the specific car we discussed was on the lot.

I offered this price to other dealers to see if they could beat it, and every single one of them told me that the price quoted was impossibly low, and that I was about to be part of a bait-and-switch scam. The dealer who offered this price refused to give a VIN#, and after speaking with his supervisor I determined that the car he promised me didn't even exist. I told the sales manager that this was a bait and switch, that it was an illegal fraudulent scam, and that I would be alerting the authorities.

This is where things got interesting.

He proceeded to offer me a total, OTD price of $23,729 on a new 2014 Honda CR-V LX Auto AWD. Not the 2013, the 2014. After doing some research I realized that this price was still ridiculously low, so I demanded to have a VIN# or else I would walk. He actually provided one, and it was in the area, so I figured I go to the dealership even though I knew it was too good to be true.

I get to the lot, and the car is actually there. After sitting down with the salespeople, having the price arbitrarily changed to $23,795 and then back to $23,745 (because "i must have misunderstood what he said"), and finally going through financing, this was the breakdown of the final price:

2014 Honda CR-V LX Auto AWD

MSRP: 25025 (24195 + 830 destination fee)

Retail Price: 21561.56
    Freight Charge: 830
    ((Total price of vehicle: 22391.56))

Titling Tax / Registration fee: 144
    Electronic Registration fee: 20
    Sales & Use Tax: 1355.44
    License Fee: 135
    Dealer Processing Charge: 199
    ((Total Charges: 1853.44))

For a total, out-the-door price of $24,245.

The interesting thing is that they applied $500 of what they called "flex money" to the price of the car, which was added to the down-payment that I provided. This wasn't the college or military incentive, just something that they threw in there. So although the OTD price was $24245, my total cost was $23,745.

I think this had something to do with the fact that I had the dealer's fraudulent offer in writing, so they offered me a great deal on this car...just to shut me up. Which is fine by me, because at the end of the day I got a great car at (what I think is) an amazing price.
    Hi pluto656,
    Did they give you a good rate on the loan? I mean does Honda have any specials on the loan for 2014 models?
  • pluto656pluto656 Member Posts: 2
    The finance rate was pretty sub-par, 3.69%. I have excellent credit and this was the lowest they'd go. The finance manager told me that in order to qualify for that $500 flex money, I would have to initially finance through Honda, but I'm planning on just refinancing through a credit union for 1.74%.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you're shopping for a new car and are under 5’2” or over 6’2” please email PR@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, September 13, 2013 to be interviewed by a reporter.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi Just wanted update every about Honda Flex Cash and discount for driving 2003 or newer car both are available as of today.

I got a quote for Honda CRV - EXL OTD or $28,000 here is break up for the price

Invoice $ 26,090 +doc+title 906.02+ sales tax @ 8% $2,160- flex cash discount $ 1000 = OTD 28,000.

this is the best quote I got sofar previous one I got for $ 28,200.
    it looks to me a good price
    any thoughts
  • sfurqansfurqan Member Posts: 14
    Has any one bought any LX 2014 recently? I am thinking of buying and was looking to see the prices paid here ...

Also is there a significant difference between 2013 and 2014 besides the year being the latest.
    No changes for 2014 CRV, just a carry over.
    bob

Is flex cash being offered on 2014 models.?

• kat91kat91 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks so much for replying to me! I have not checked out other dealers just because they all have such awful reviews. I just have no idea as to what a good price is! I wish I could just find a solid number. Also, I am going to pay cash, which I hear they don't really like. I guess I will check out those other dealerships, but by chance do you know what a reasonable price would be? This whole process is beyond frustrating. Thanks in advance :)
    Is this for AWD or FWD? If AWD then you get a great deal, if FWD
    then it is a good deal.
    For FWD ex-l anything below $26000+ tax and dmv fees should be reasonable
    (so about $28600 out the door; this may require that you finance through
    honda, but you can pay it off after first few payments). the more work you put into it the lower you may get, but it is a trade-off. E-mail several dealers
    and insist on bill of sale in the e-mail (with all the costs clearly stated and the
    vin number) before you go to the dealer.
  • bigdaddy930bigdaddy930 Member Posts: 8
    I get a quote of this model for $23,595 for not including destination fees ... Is this price ok? I live in the NYC area. Is the 2013 model price is going to drop a lot with the 2014 model is now here.
    big daddy

I posted in the Accord forum some buying tips and help for you.. As more of the 2014 CRV's roll onto dealerships lots the better pricing you will get from the remaining stock of 2013's . might take another month or 2 for that.

Your only problem with waiting is supply and demand. limited stock results in a 2nd choice model or color. As you see with the limited 2013 Accords pricing got worse not better. If a dealership has only 3 or 4 of your desired model he might not be willing to sell a cheap as when he had 25 of them.