Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited September 2013
    By getting many dealerships involved to fight for your business i think you probably can buy a 2014 at invoice price on the last 2days last day of this month. This month ends the 3rd quarter for all car companies find those dealerships looking to meet there sales quota's and invoice will happen.

Send out 20 emails to dealerships Internet mgrs, telling each one i will buy today for invoice price. wait til the end of the month for dealerships to meet your target price. There is no reason to step into any dealership until you get your target price. This is how you play the game.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Actually you do not have to work the price, not with the right preparation. Always compute a bottom line price. Take invoice less all incentives and holdback. Compute an amount and add a bit for profit, maybe 3-5 percent.

Contact dealers via the internet and ask for pricing. Select the dealer or dealers you feel most comfortable and counter with your price. Move up from your price not down. Presto, a good deal is found.

Buying a vehicle for a fair price is easy. Do your research and be open and honest with the sales person. The sales person will respect you, will be happy, and will make sure the paperwork and delivery is smooth.

Always, always remember you as the buyer control the deal. You can always walk which is the ultimate control. And the dealer knows if you get up to leave he has essentially lost the sale. That is a powerful tool for we buyers.
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    One additional observation. The price you compute includes all dealer cost, including those silly documentation and dealer fees. Some folks, particularly those in Florida, pay dealers hundreds in such fees. Do not be that guy. Both your peace of mind and wallet will be happy that you were not that guy.
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    When a buyer questions a dealer about the doc fee, the sales guy or gal will argue profusely everyone pays it or it is standard or it is legit. Just stand your ground. My experience is the sales person will quickly conclude you know the fee is simply additional profit and will move to adjust the deal to compensate for the fee. No sales person wants a buyer to leave over this fictitious fee.

But recognize, for legal purposes, the dealer will have to show the fee on the contact. Just make sure the selling price or trade value has been adjusted to compensate for the fee.

It is truly hard to understand why anyone in Florida would pay $1,000 or so for these fees. I imagine dealers in other states are working hard to duplicate these unethical fees in their states.
  • fnnclplanfnnclplan Member Posts: 11
    Bob, I am in the market to buy in AZ. Please tell me the name of the PHX dealership. thank you
  • cuysecocuyseco Member Posts: 45
    I got a quote OTD 25,760 for 2013 AWD LX
    Is that a good price? How much less can I bargain?
    THanks
  • bob974bob974 Member Posts: 19
    are you looking for 2013 Honda CRV EXL? per my experience with all valley Honda dealers only Right Honda giving competitive price every other dealer is at least $ 1000 apart from their pricing.

Interestingly August has better pricing than now, $ 1000 difference.

if you look at inventory there are not many CRV's available hence dealers are holding to their prices.

one more interesting point, I got a call from one valley dealer and said flex cash and conquest discount both are available for 2013 models in September as well,

However Right Honda said they only have flex cash no conquest discount, not quite sure how far is that correct.

bottom line is if you get $$$ of Invoice and there are no dealer installed options is good to go for Phoenix market .

hope this helps.
    that price seems to be high for Texas market, read through previous posts I think Texas is better market than Phoenix , I know some one who bought $ 24,500 OTD in phoenix in August 2013.

There are very detailed posts by Brian124 and some others what is right price for, take that work and adjust for local demand/supply factor.

you may not get the best price posted in this forum because your local market is kind of unique and demand/supply factors at least you know who are offering better price
  • dks9dks9 Member Posts: 10
    This seems to be high, anythiing above 24 is high for this.
  • dks9dks9 Member Posts: 10
    take some quote from houston dealers also, get one from R & S Honda.
  • fnnclplanfnnclplan Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for telling me about Right dealership. I am interested in the 2014 CR-V EX L w/navigation; Tucson would be convenient. Should I offer $28,000 OTD or less?
    Thanks bob and dks.
  • markkammarkkam Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2013
    Got a quote for 2014 Ex-l awd with nav for $29k plus doc fee of $349 and trade in value of $13k on 2007 crv ex-l awd with nav and 83k miles. Is this a good quote? Do you think they can do better? Thank you.
  • jk115jk115 Member Posts: 18
    including tax as well in 29K?
    So, the OTD is 29349?
    If so, I think it is a good deal.
    edited September 2013
    $29k includes destination but does not include tax and registration but note that tax is just the difference of 29k and 13k in MA

Still good deal or not so much anymore? Thank you.
  • padspdpadspd Member Posts: 5
    which dealer ship in MA did you get that from. If you dont mind plz
    Based on various posts I have read through September is worst month to buy new year models(in this case 2014) you should wait till December or even January to buy those models you will get the best price possible.

however if you decide to go with 2014, here is what I would like to say.

offer Invoice price, per Costco pricing 2014 models are $ 525 more on Invoicing if you can get Invoice price then it is a very good price, also watch out dealer installed options in most cases those will add up quickly dealer makes most out of them.

also look at OTD price, one thing I have learned is do not offer them OTD price, tackle each item independently for example window tint many dealers charge $ 400 for it, you can argue them it can be done for $ 100 so they need to cut down that price.

you can always walk out if you did not get your price but you need to work with them to get your price

I am going to dealership this weekend will post my experience.

all the best for your purchase
    What would be a good deal for OTD price in AWD LX 2013?
    I live in Dallas Metroplex, Texas.
    Thanks
    Got a better quote today from prime Honda west Roxbury $28500 for the 2014 exl nav awd. That includes destination. Left to pay is tax, doc fee of $300, and title registration. Just go online and request quote. Next day you get email with this great price even before negotiating!
  • jaymatjaymat Member Posts: 3
    Hi I just negotiated a deal for 2014 crv exL no other opts.( carmax wanted to give me 4000 for my 2004 nissan quest SE 3.5 with 9600 miles excellent cosmetically looks new top notch as far AS EVERY OPTION EVER MADE runs great but I think its time to trade before timing chain or something goes starting to hear that clicking noise on start up.. ) so they wanted to give me like 300 more for trade in I know its worth more but I was going for a 2013 and they were going to do it for 23,045 out the door plus my van.. but they didnt have the color I want and there is only one in a 150 mile radius in that color so now I offered them 24,000 ( including all dealer fees taxes license tags and my van out the door) on a 2014 crv Ex L in the colors I want.. They called me back on cell left a message to tell me that they accepted my deal but I didnt call them back yet as to when I will come in to sign the deal so there is still time so please chime in before the I put my John Hancock on it.. no financing involved it will be a cash deal... comments opinions good deal or not?
  • mmzmmz Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2013
    Well, your question will make more sense if you separate the trade in
    from the new car. What is the selling price of the new car?

The kbb value for privite party for your car is over $8000, trade in for
    a very good condition is $6698. Assuming modestly that your car should be worth
    $5500, you are getting a decent deal (29500 otd), but if it is worth 6500
    then it is not that good (I am assuming awd, if it is fwd then it is even less attractive). Keep in mind that some people on this forum got 2014 ex-l awd
    for about 26900 plus fees and tax.
  • sfurqansfurqan Member Posts: 14
    I am looking to close in on a 2014 LX at 24500/- all included... Any one got a better deal.
  • hawkeye911hawkeye911 Member Posts: 2
    We are picking up a new 2014 LX tomorrow morning. Total out the door- $24,175.56. No trade, no financing. I think that is actual invoice price, and I got them to throw in a set of dealer-installed splash/mud guards (big whoop...).

Breakdown is: $22,384 for the CR-V, $185 Doc/CVR fees, $1,410.56 Sales Tax, and $190 for new plates. (We are giving our old car to our grad school daughter to get her through.)

Had three dealers I was in touch with, but really did not have to negotiate like I usually would. Someone wanted to sell a Honda, and I was willing to buy at that price. I really don't think they would have gone even $20 lower....

This forum was a lot of help in understanding what to try for, and recognizing when we had a had what I believe is a good deal. Good luck on your deal!
    Can you please share the dealer and the state? Is this an AWD?
  • mmzmmz Member Posts: 10
    The invoice on awd is 23554 and on fwd it is 22384, si I am guessing that
    this is for fwd.
  • tco05tco05 Member Posts: 8
    Brian, thanks for all your help. Here's where I wound up:

2014 EX AWD
    $23,349 Vehicle
    $830 destination
    $229 Doc fees+electronic registration fee+tire recycling fee
    $1612.74 Taxes+Tags+Registration

$26,020.74 Total

Price included nitrogen tires, mud flaps, wheel locks and cargo tray thrown in. Was a very competitive latter part of the week. Had several dealers willing to meet this price, picked the one closest to home that I get my Civic maintained at and closed the deal.

Went in looking for a 2013 because I thought I could get better value. Started getting quotes on the 2014s as dealers said they were out of 2013s and then the quotes started dropping later on in the week. I bet I could have gotten a better deal if I had waited until Sunday, but no kids + the right color combo made it easier to do today.
    I believe that price is for FWD
    the best quote I am getting for 2013 AWD LX is 24 500 OTD :(
    Can you share the dealer name. @ Cuyseco.
    Good job enjoy your new crv .

post the city you live in?? what is your question.?
    if you are posting a price you must include selling price with dest charge and dealers doc fee's charge for me to comment. Total otd pricing like dmv and state taxes dont help me with your deal. Every state has a diff/ tax rate so otd pricing vary's from state to state.

My brother got his 2013 AWD LX in June for 23000/- OTD with 3% tax from a dealer in VA.
    What are you asking me??? 2013 models are very limited . Supply and demand is what sets prices with these dealerships . At this time of the year you should be able to get any 2013 model CRV between 1200 and 1700 dollars below dealers invoice. If a dealership has only a couple of CRV'S left on lot that your interested in... means dealership most likely wont sell it as cheap as i mentioned.. make your best deal by monday night.. This month ends the 3rd quarter for all car companies. dealerships looking to meet sales incentives will sell there vehicles cheaper this weekend and monday than earlier in the month..

Finally pulled a trigger on 2013 Honda CRV EXL today at $25,900+TTL+taxes OTD price at $ 29,388.

price includes Window Tint($399) + protection package (splashguards etc.,$699)+Rear spoiler ($599).

Not quite sure is this the best price but that is the best I could get in here.
  • hawkeye911hawkeye911 Member Posts: 2
    This was in fact a FWD. Purchased at the dealer in Peoria, IL.

We came out today with a nice vehicle and no surprises!

"We are picking up a new 2014 LX tomorrow morning. Total out the door- $24,175.56. No trade, no financing. I think that is actual invoice price, and I got them to throw in a set of dealer-installed splash/mud guards (big whoop...).

Breakdown is: $22,384 for the CR-V, $185 Doc/CVR fees, $1,410.56 Sales Tax, and $190 for new plates. (We are giving our old car to our grad school daughter to get her through.)

Had three dealers I was in touch with, but really did not have to negotiate like I usually would. Someone wanted to sell a Honda, and I was willing to buy at that price. I really don't think they would have gone even $20 lower....

This forum was a lot of help in understanding what to try for, and recognizing when we had a had what I believe is a good deal. Good luck on your deal!
    "
  • vaikivaiki Member Posts: 2
    I have got a quote of 26,179 + 189 processing fee + tags + tax for 2014 CRV EXL FWD from a dealer in MD. Is it a good price?

Thanks
  • pck3pck3 Member Posts: 8
    How much I should pay for 2013 CR-V EX AWD?
    I have a quote of 23,000 + 830 + Tax and Tags. Is there any documentation fees from dealers?
    Let's say Car price is 23,000 + 830 Destination & Handling.

so tax will be on 23,000 + 7% or 23,830 + 7%?
    Thanks for your reply,

I am here in NJ. 07040
    sorry that is litte high for 2013- here in MA they are quoting 24,400 for 2014 EX AWD
  • vaikivaiki Member Posts: 2
    What is the best price for 2014 CRV EX-L FWD in Maryland?
    edited September 2013
    here is the breakdown

Vehicle selling price, plus dest charge= 23,830 then add your states tax and dmv charge for the OTD pricing. Dealer will also add his doc fee charge to the otd price.

Its always best when negotiating prices with dealers to include dest/charge into your asking price so there is no confusion at the end of the deal. Alot of times folks that dont buy new cars dealers realize this and give them a great price then when closing deal they have a 830 fee that makes deal not so good know.. Be mindful of this......

Ok guys finally I got my CRV last Saturday.
    I got OTD 23,800,
    I think it is a good price here in Texas :)
    Thanks for all your advices.
  • anpanp Member Posts: 7
    Got a quote for 2014 CR-V EX - 25,500 OTD (all included Doc, Dest Dmv...) + Tax. Also got a quote for 2013 CR-V EX for 24,500 OTD (all included Doc, Dest Dmv...) . Colors are very limited for 2013.

Do you think these are good deals? Which do you think would be a better deal 2013 or 2014 ?

Thanks for your thoughts
    Check my post 12855 for a breakdown of my 2014 CRV EX purchase. My base price was 23,349 before everything else (in MD).
    Which state is this quote from ?
    NY
    Thanks
    From what I can see you got a really great deal - $1,341 under invoice! If I mentioned a price like this to a dealer they would not even talk to me... What state was that deal in?

Mine was around $500 under the invoce (slghtly less than than the 2% holdback they would be getting from the manufacturer should I make the purchase). Obvioudly, they will be getting some other incentives from Honda later on...

Thanks
    Maryland. Was able to drive the price down a lot because the dealers were willing to beat one another at end of the month/quarter. I found a dealer I liked and offered him my business if he could meet or beat any offer I brought in. Worked out pretty well.

Get some competition going. Include anyone within a reasonable distance to get offers and try to aim for the end of the month when they need to make a deal. I started looking for 13's and got better offers on 14's.
    Many want you in the dealership and do in person negotiation - this works but very time consuming. I collected as many instaquotes as possible but many of these quotes are just MSRP or above, some below and some do not e-mail you any quotes at all and instead are trying to call and get you into their dealership.

Now that I got an OK price for CR-V I am also looking into RAV4 since I heard some reliability issues with CR-V particularly their A/C system. Anyone is deciding between CR-V and RAV4? let me know what you think.

Thanks