Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kris354kris354 Member Posts: 1
    Do they offer a good deal on 2005 EX, AT Cr-v's too? Out there any guys got better deals on this model? Please reply.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    The salesman gets paid on commission for selling you the car, so don't worry about it. The next customer may be a real "sucker" and he takes them to the cleaners for full MSRP plus $1,500 for a warranty and $1,000 for "paint and fabric protection" and nets several hundred in commission. The BEST THING you can do for a good salesman is do what I do - recommend them anytime you are asked. Heck, recommend him even if NOT asked :D

If your hubby is a handy man and looks over the install instructions (particularly the fog lights) and says no problem - then let him go for it. I am a smart guy, but I have a low frustration tolerance with mechanical things. So if all goes well I am fine, but when they don't I start to wonder "why didn't I just pay them to do this". When cutting or drilling on a new car, I would tend to let the "pros" do it since they do it all the time and if they mess up they have to fix it. Some (most) of the stuff on your list looks pretty easy to put on, so that will be no trouble.

If the stuff is listed on your car bill of sale (even without the install) then you may can make a warranty claim later on if you need to. You did "buy it with the truck" after all :D

Dennis
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well,

i hope things work out for you. Three hours is a long time to drive just to save a few dollars but that's just me. I wouldn't flaunt your purchase to a local dealer. You may have warranty issues and I'm sure you won't want to drive three hours back to have these taken care of.

Trying to offer your salesperson a "pure profit" tip isn't something I would do. I know I would just be embarassed and I would refuse it. A tip would hardly pay for the labor to install those accessories anyway.

As far as the installation, some of those items are pretty easy. The fog lights are a different story. Easy to butcher the car.

Hopefully you will be happy in the end.
  • jgreerjgreer Member Posts: 31
    gr8smile1966,

Congrats on finally getting what you wanted and having a decent experience at a dealership.

Just a note. If you are actually referring to the Internet Sales Manager, he isn't the peon. The internet sales jobs are given to top salesman who are high earners for the dealership. It's basically a cushy job that they give there better salesman.

As for tipping, I've never heard of tipping a salesman. I think in this case you're probably better off to give him a very gracious thank you.

Greer
    Ah...actually the "Internet Sales Manager" is usually the new guy. a "top salesman" wouldn't touch that job.

The "cushy" job involves trying to ferret out the very few serious buyers from the tons of worthless e-mails and phone calls.
    I had a car sales manager tell me some time back that "Folks think they can sell cars on the Internet, but it does not work". Of course, his dealership had and out of date web page and didn't reply promptly to e-mails, and may very well have had the newb in "charge" of that "department".

The ones that do it right - online inventory, online or quick e-mail quotes, etc have and will continue to earn my business.

I am sure all the others sitting around their daily sales meeting wondering "How can we increase sales?". How about keeping your web page up to date and answering every e-mail query promptly? Doing it may not earn a ton of sales, but I guarantee it loses sales :D

Dennis
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    OK, let's get back to conversation that's specific to the CR-V. We've got a discussion called Dealers Too Busy For OnLine Shoppers, among others, for this line of conversation. Thanks!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I'm only relaying what I've read.

But, since you work at a honda dealership, I'll defer to you.
  • automaticautomatic Member Posts: 41
    My understanding is that if you take delivery of the car in CA, you WILL pay CA sales tax. I read somewhere else on this board that someone took delivery of their CA-purchased car in NV (just beyond the border in Reno, I think) to avoid the CA taxes. That said, you may get a credit in your home state for sales taxes already paid, so if you pay CA sales tax, you may not actually pay sales taxes twice once you get home. Of course your tax money will benefit CA rather than your home state. Your best source of info is your state's DMV/licensing website. CA has a transit license (temporary license to allow you to drive it our of state), so that part is easy.
    Live in California and avoid sales tax by buying in Nevada. You WILL pay the tax.

On out of state purchases you'll end up paying the tax in your home state when you arrive with your new car.

There could be exceptions to this but I don't think so.
  • wormajiwormaji Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    I am looking at Accord / CR-V. There have been reports on the web of Honda CR-V pulling to the right and that it is a 'feature for sleepy drivers'. Never heard of that one before.
    Wondering if others felt anything during the test drive
    One of the posts about CR-V pulling to the right is on this website itself. The link is given below

hamman1, "Honda CR-V Owners: Problems & Solutions" #2643, 2 Apr 2005 10:35 am
    I test drove two CR-Vs (actually bought the second one) and haven't experiences the PTTR with either of them.

I'm not sure where the rumor came from or whether it's valid or not, but I haven't had a problem with it.

Other say they have, so it's hard to say.

Just my .02

Greer
    If you are an out of CA buyer, and if you had the car trucked (delivered) to your home state, you would not be charged CA sales tax. The delivery location is the determinant. Isell, for WA state, you do get credit for taxes already paid, so if you took delivery of a car in CA and paid CA sales taxes, you would not pay again in WA. If the tax amount in WA happened to be higher than what you already paid in CA, you'd just pay the difference. I researched this on the WA DOL website a couple of years ago when considering to buy an 03 Accord at the dealer near my parent's house in CA. The original question was for a buyed in FL, so I am not sure if FL handles it as does WA.
    Are you sure your information about getting a car trucked into CA is correct?

I'm a native CA guy and I don't think this is correct unless things have REALLY changed!
    Isell, we are talking apples and oranges. I am talking about when a buyer from another state travels to CA to buy a car because (presumably) the cost savings make it worth the hassle (all those invoice CRVs flying off the lots!!). The issue is whether you will pay CA sales taxes, even though you live elsewhere. I am saying that if you take delivery of the car in CA, even if you are a resident of another state, you will pay tax. If the dealer arranged for your new car to be trucked (i.e. delivered) to you out of the state of CA, you would not pay CA taxes. What taxes or fees you need to pay to get the car licensed in your home state is another story. For WA, look up "use tax" on the DOL website for vehicles brought in from another state.
  • chiefjschiefjs Member Posts: 39
    You pay the sales tax in the state where you register your car.

For instance, Massachusetts has a sales tax, but neighboring New Hampshire does not. So people who own a vacation home in N.H. register their cars there. However, when they come back to Massachusetts and the car is in the state for 30 or more days in a calendar year, they get charged with having an unreg. M.V. and it is towed.

Most states have such laws or everyone would have there car registered in a no sales tax state. :):)
  • louiein99louiein99 Member Posts: 33
    I am interested in an SE model. How close to invoice price are you guys getting? I am new to the CR-V market, and I was wondering what kind of mark up I should expect (500 over invoice, 1000 over etc.). When I make an offer, I don't want them to accept it right away and make me think that I could have gotten a better deal.

Thanks.
    My boss is getting one for his son for a college graduation present (clearly, he makes more than I do :D). I found him $23,700 for the truck, destination, and dealer fee. Invoice is $23,875.

Most other dealers can't or won't get that low - they say the SE is a "harder to get" truck, etc and want over invoice for it. On a "Regular" EX these dealers will go invoice or below since they have a lot full of them, with only a few SEs they want more money.

Where are you located? Maybe we can steer you toward a dealer that will deal on the SE?

Dennis
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    automatic is right about California... If you take delivery in the state, the dealer is required to collect California sales tax, regardless of where you live... The tax in your home state will be your problem.. Some neighboring states have reciprocal agreements... but, you'll still pay in California

But, if you purchase in California, then take delivery outside the state (whether they drive across the Nevada border or ship it to you), then no California sales tax is due.. Of course, you still would have to pay where you register it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

That they allow this loophole. Someone better tell Dianne and Barbara!
    It really isn't a loophole... unless you live in a no-tax state (which is its own loophole).. You still have to pay sales tax where you register the car..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• louiein99louiein99 Member Posts: 33
    Dwynne, I am in Columbia, South Carolina.

Also, I saw some discussion about overpriced accessories and installation prices from the dealership. Any suggestions???
    Hennessy in Woodstock, GA (Atlanta area) quoted $23,940 for the truck, destination, and fees. It looks like about a 3 1/2 hour drive for you, if you can't find a better deal closer.

Others here may know dealers a bit closer than will give nice deals. They don't seem to get a lot of these in (Honda does not make many or the dealers don't seem to be able to sell as many?) - so it can be hard to find a deal on one if your color.

I use Handa (H&A) prices as a guide for what the accessories should cost:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv05.html

They also have the install instructions for all the stuff so you can see if it is something you want to tackle for yourself or not. Something like the fog lamps which requires cutting the front fascia of your new truck and running a wiring harness, etc. That sounds like something we should pay to have done.

Dennis
  • steve royalsteve royal Member Posts: 82
    There are probably hundreds of posts re: PTTR caused by torque steer in the CRV forum. Do a search under CRV Problems and Solutions and you will see them. Also, check the NHTSA website re: complaints re:PTTR on '05 CRVs. I talked with a rep from Honda Manufacturer yesterday and was informed that Honda is aware of the torque steer problem and intends to change whatever design glitch is causing the problem. Apparently, not all '05 CRVs suffer from the problem. I am nor sure why that is the case. Just make very sure yours does not have it or else you will be in for a nice fight with Honda trying to correct the flaw. Apparently, all dealers that sell Hondas are denying the problem exists or claim they have never heard of it or experienced it. Steve
  • jthomas_nulljthomas_null Member Posts: 1
    SE, Pewter, $23,300 from Grand Honda near Chicago. Pre-arranged on the internet. Very trouble-free experience.
  • efficaeffica Member Posts: 4
    Louie,

FYI. I got my pewter SE for $23,150 (171 less than invoice) plus free first service (~30) in Palo Alto, CA (Anderson Honda). Fees (tax/etc.) vary in SC. Effectively I got ~$200 under invoice. I turned down 'all' other offers - extended warranty, etc. It's your money. So, drive a hard bargain!

One lesson learned... my car had 4 miles on it when we signed the paper. When I picked it up the next day, it had 6. Another customer must have test driven the car. Look for one with the lowest miles and once you've signed the paper, test driving your car 'must' be off limits. When picking up your car, test everything (sunroof, heated seats (if necessary, put on the A/C so you can feel it in hot weather!), etc.). Go for a spin & check for pull-to-the-right condition that people seem to discuss. Mine has no problems. Now, it has over 600 miles. Very happy with it!

Hope this helps.
    Good luck.
    T
    $23,300 and $23,150 were just posted as prices - is that for the truck, destination, and dealer fees? If so, those are smoking hot prices. If that is just the truck, and the dealer added the $515 destination on top of that and $100-400 of "doc" fees then the prices are much cooler.

Since effica said $23,150 is "171 less than invoice" then we can assume the $23150 is just for the truck. Add the $515 destination and some dealer fees and you end up a lot closer to $24k.

So please try to post what you paid for the truck including the destination fee and also mention the dealer/doc fees. Some charge nothing, some charge $50, some charge $400. A lot of dealers have started quoting just the car or truck, so it makes their deal sound a lot better, then when you go to buy they add the destination fee and their fees and the deal turns rotten. If you post you paid $23,200 and some dealer, then that is what others would expect to write a check for to get the same deal. Imagine their surprise when they add the fees on top of that price?

Thanks,
    Dennis
  • oneohthreeoneohthree Member Posts: 15
    I got a price quote from Open Road Honda in NJ for the Honda CR-V EX for 20444 +515 destination. Is this a reasonable price or can I go even less than that price?
  • rroosendaalrroosendaal Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what I should offer for a 2005 SE CRV? The salesman quoted me 25, 600 but said nobody pays that and to make an offer, he likes giving things away. OK....already the flags go up with him, so where do I start. He also says that he doesn't make money on the car and then laughs, that he gets paid for "not" selling cars. (Really?) More flags.
    The invoice according to bluebook is 23, 836. Where do I go from there and what do I do? Any suggestions? TIA.....Rita I am in Las Vegas
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    Wife and I are considering a CR-V. We have a 12 y/o child who's getting really tall and the CR-V should have plenty of back seat room and cargo room compared to our Jetta.

I'm thinking EX and am not sure what dealer to go to. I live near the new superstition springs honda dealer so maybe somebody has dealt with them?

Should I just offer a bit under Edmunds TMV for the car? I think TMV is about $400 over invoice right now.
  • jake14jake14 Member Posts: 6
    Bluewolf, I'm not sure what the arizona market is like, so my advice may be geographically inappropriate.

I recently bought a 4WD LX for about $900 under invoice at the end of the month; maybe we got lucky. I would expect it should be pretty easy for you to get one for invoice; and probably at least several hundred bucks underneath invoice.

This required going to a couple of dealers (starting with the "upfront lowest price" at www.autofair.com in NH where they just sell for that price), but over the course of two or three dealers we went from about $200 under invoice to $900 under invoice over the last week of the month. Again, we might have gotten lucky with just how much under invoice we were able to achieve, but you should be able to do all right.
  • efficaeffica Member Posts: 4
    Dennis,

Thanks for the clarification. You are right - there is a documentation fee of $45 and some other craps (Sales tax, DMV, License fees, tire fees, etc.). CA sales tax rate is 8.25%. Hence the $1,913.59. The documentation fee aside, I believe the $23,150 does include the destination fee you mentioned.

Here's a copy of my sale contract. Hope this will help clarify things.

So, is it still a hot or cool deal?

Thx & good luck all!
    That looks like a great deal...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• g8rluvag8rluva Member Posts: 6
    Exactly how do you determine whether the care suffers from PTTR. In other words, how do you road test the car to determine whether PTTR is present?
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    I went to test drive a CR-V the other day, as I am starting to look for an EX with the 5 speed. The dealer didn't have any 5 speeds, but I drove an auto just to see how the thing rode and how loud it was. The vehicle definitely pulled to the right on a straight and level road. It was persistant and obtrusive, and not under acceleration (torque steer). I was pretty put off by the pull and told the salesman that the vehicle needed some work. He didn't seem too concerned. Interestingly enough, under braking the car went straight as an arrow, so I guess the alignment was off or something, but I would not buy that particular car on a bet.

All I had to do was drive straight on a level road and let go of the wheel. The car immediately and very noticably pulled over to the right. Very interesting.

Oh yeah: The main reason I was posting was to see if anybody had any leads on any dealers with a significant amount of 5 speeds on the lot. Specifically I am looking for an EX 5 speed in either black, dark blue, or either silver color. I really don't want red, tan or white. I am in the midsouth area (Memphis) but have the ability to travel far and wide to find a dealer with one on the lot that I could drive before starting to deal.

Thanks to anyone with any leads.
  • steve royalsteve royal Member Posts: 82
    The PTTR on my vehicle is caused by torque steer. The easiest way to determine if torque steer exists, you need to be on a straight road with little or no crown. The harder you press the accelerator, the more the vehicle will pull to the right. As long as the accelerator is not pressed (including coasting), the vehicle goes straight as an arrow. When you press the accelerator (the harder the better to determine if it pulls to the right), the vehicle attempts to change lanes on its own unless constant pressure is placed on the wheel to the left. The key is acceleration in determining if the torque steer PTTR problem exists.
  • chitowncrvownrchitowncrvownr Member Posts: 6
    ...just got mine...in Silver Moss...from Continental Honda in La Grange, IL.....think I did well at $18823 inclu dest cost (plus tax/title/lic). So far no PTTR issues, you either have it, or don't have it, right...not something that happens in time??

Thanks!
    EH
  • chitowncrvownrchitowncrvownr Member Posts: 6
    BTW....During my pricing inquiries, I was told by several dealers that typically, the Costco/Sam's Club special pricing is a few hundred above invoice, whereas the internet pricing is a few hundred below....I found that interesting!

EH :surprise:
  • mafernamaferna Member Posts: 83
    bluewolf:

Try Tempe Honda. I got my 2WD LX in 3/31/05 for $450 below invoice. Actually, is more like $150 below invoice, since they included a $300 'doc fee' after I agreed to the $450 below price. Just make sure you negotiate an out-the-door price. In any case, $150 below invoice is not bad at all, and the service was great; I highly recommend them.

PS: Go through their Internet department
  • gr8smile1966gr8smile1966 Member Posts: 13
    I picked up my 05 Pewter Pearl SE on Friday from Brewster Honda in Brewster, New York. :shades: I am thrilled, and this experience was excellent. My CR-V had only 9 miles on it at delivery, and it was in spotless condition. Brewster Honda's salesman was terrific, he even came in on his day off to be there for my delivery. He was very accomodating because he knew I had to drive 2 1/2 hours to the dealership (which luckily was very easy to find!)

Brewster Honda gets my highest recommendation for excellent customer service.

There was no indication of any "PTTR" problem (my CR-V has BF Goodrich tires).

No complaints on this deal!! Now I have to start writing that bad dealership/ good dealership letter to American Honda... I'm just happy that it all worked out for me in the end and I have a shiny new Honda CR-V SE in my driveway!!! :shades: :D :shades:

Thanks for all the great advice!!

gr8smile1966
    Wow! That is a super deal. Invoice - hold back is about $23,100.

Correct, the destination is in there.

Looks like they made $50 plus the $45 fee as profit. That sure is not much on a sale, but a great deal for you!

Dennis
  • murphy9murphy9 Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my CR-V Silver Moss 4wd LX last week. Shopped at 5 dealers - Schaller Honda was not only the best price wise they were
    very professional. Connecticut is a tough place to
    find a deal on a Honda. Some would not even move 200 off sticker! :)

No More Mini Van!
  • byibyi Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my CR-V yesterday too. Wanna thanks for all the guys inputting information here. It is very helpful.
    Mahwah Honda, NJ.
    21991 + free cargo tray+wheel locks+splash guides
    236 for Cross Bars
    -750 Trade-in
    1776 NY tax! (hate it)
    120 doc fee
    5 temp plate fee
    35 plate transfer fee
    Outdoor price 23400.
    Hope it is helpful to CR-V owner to be.
    :):)
  • eddayfrteddayfrt Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a 4WD CRV . Am locked into a lease on another vehicle until August. I am thinking this would be a good time (August) to purchase since the new CRVs would soon be out and I should get a deal on an 05. Anyone know when the 06's will hit the market? Also anyone have any buying experiences in either Akron or Columbus OH? The dealer where I'm at is the only one in my area and think they are the only game in town and won't budge much off MSRP. I am only 1 hour from either Akron or Columbus.
    My experience is that you will not save much on a year end 05 CRV as opposed to what you'd have paid earlier in the model year. You might save a few dollars, but not (in my opinion) enough to offset the additional depreciation and possible lesser selection of colors, etc at the end of the year. I'd plan on buying an 06 which (even though it will be virtually the same as an 05) will be a current model year vehicle and may offer a few small tweaks over the 05). You can see the prices gotten for 05s on this board, so you can see how much, if any, your year end savings really are.
  • mhossainmhossain Member Posts: 1
    I almost bought a 2005 LX yesterday. But then backed out thinking that 2006s are a few months away. I can wait a few months but will I get the deals that are going on now? Are there going to be price increases?
    There are no "Deals" going on now - no dealer incentive money. If you can get one below invoice price then you should have a good deal. With all the stuff they added for 2005 and I don't know other than some "tweaks" what they would do for 2006, but what do I know. If you can get a good deal now, then get it.

Dennis
  • prettylady28prettylady28 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I also went to a Honda dealer recently, and I also live in Memphis. I have been debating between the LX model and the EX model. If I could get the EX for the LX price that would be great ! I felt confident going in there, but now I have realized that I don't know how to haggle and how much can I get them to lower the price, so that the EX becomes affordable for me. Have any ideas ? :confuse:
  • alex9700alex9700 Member Posts: 4
    A local dealer offered to sell an SE 'at invoice' even before i walked on the lot. that said, can anyone tell me if the invoice price is still $25,765 ? and do i stand a chance of bringing that price down at all ?

i will be dealing in the pittsburgh / erie PA, youngstown / cleveland OH area.

thank you
    It sounds like you are mixing up invoice and MSRP. I don't have the time to check exact numbers, but 25,765 sounds like MSRP to me, not invoice. Make sure you have the 2 numbers straight. Previous postings on SE prices on this board have been as low as the low 23K range, which is obviously less that your 25,765 figure.