Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• automaticautomatic Member Posts: 41
    Call (don't visit) the dealer and ask to talk to the sales manager. Do your research on prices paid, invoice price and you will find that your goal is something in the low $23K range for an 05 EX automatic. Call on the last day of the month and tell them you will buy that day if you agree to price. Make sure you are clear that the deal is price plus tax and license (i.e. no extra dealer imposed "fees"). Check the dealer's website before you call to see if they have the color you want in stock. Many dealers have on-line inventories on their websites. Drive right down to the dealer to close the deal. Test drive before signing any paperwork to be sure no PTTR. Have your credit union preapproved loan draft in hand. The most important tip: Don't be afraid to walk if the deal is not right or if you don't feel comfortable with it. The power of walking away is the biggest tool you have in negotiations!! I feel if you haven't sealed the deal within 30 minutes or so of arriving at the dealer, then the dealer is playing you.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    $25,765 is MSRP (or retail) price, the dealer cost is $23,875. You should be able to get the truck right around invoice, with some shopping.

Dennis
    OOPS! I mean your target price should be in the low $22k range, NOT the low $23K range!
  • 2005blackse2005blackse Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a Black 2005 SE with three miles on it for $23,895 in South Jersey. That price includes destination, mud guards, roof rack, wood trim, and vinyl tire cover (I don't like the hard one). :)
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    What is the dealereship and did they ADM's on the window????
    My boss picked it up an SE for his son yesterday. $23,700 from Swope in Louisville - the price includes the truck, destination, and dealer fees. No trade in and no "BS" when they went to pick up the truck.

Dennis
    It was Burns Honda... not sure what ADM's are...
    Additional Dealer Markup, I guess.

You know how they add junk to a car and list it on a second sticker next to the Monroney (factory) sticker?

On a hot seller like a Toyota Prius, the dealer may be so bold as to not add ANYTHING to the car and just label it "ADM" - which is all it is....

Dennis
    Ah, ok... nope, no Additional Dealer Markup
  • alohagirl92alohagirl92 Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a Red EX yesterday in Seattle. Costco price was $22,000 including dest fee and cargo cover.

Would definitely recommend Honda of Seattle to anyone looking for a great Honda buying experience.

Second CR-V ...

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!
    Alohagirl92, I am impressed with your price! This is a lot better that the Seattle area Costco pricing from late 2004 when I was buying (which was about $500 under MSRP). I assume that there was no negotiation involved as per how the Costco program works? Sounds almost too good to be true, for a no-haggle program.
    Try putting in your ZIP at carsdirect.com .

In the ATL area the EX comes up $21,352 as a no-haggle price. Even is the dealer sticks a "doc" fee on top of the price you have a good deal. Locally, some dealers will go to invoice ($21,477 + fee) or a little lower on the non-SE models.

Dennis
  • alohagirl92alohagirl92 Member Posts: 5
    No, there was no negotiation for the price of the CR-V. There was also no pressure to buy from Honda of Seattle, unlike other dealers in the area. They sold 5 new cars while we were waiting, so I guess they have enough volume to not need to pressure.

I did haggle for more money on my trade-in and got $500 more than they first offered. All in all, a great experience. :)
  • bigd4bigd4 Member Posts: 1
    I've heard that Honda is really "tight-lipped" about their floor plan program. But does anyone know about how long a car can sit at a Honda dealership before they have to start paying interest?

I'm sure that if I'm looking for a great deal on a 2005 CR-V, I want one that's been sitting for a while to bargin on versus one that just came off of the truck. I've heard that some makes in the Big 3 are about 5 days before the dealer has to pay interest.

Anyone know about Honda?
    I think for most it is more like 90 days. This may be something that is a perk of being a high volume of high "quality" (from customer surveys) dealer. They have to sell to all the dealers at the same price, but if you are a "gold star" dealer in volume or surveys then they floor plan you longer?

In any case, what does it matter how long the Honda floor plan is - just pick the oldest truck on the lot to deal. Use build date or maybe just the VIN number.

The local Nissan dealer used to put little * with chalk in the upper left corner of the windshields of the cars that had been on the lot the longest. Then when a customer said they wanted a beige Altima they would steer to one with the * - or try them on another color if no old beige were on the lot.

I you shop a high volume, low price dealer I bet this will make no difference. They will give you a nice bottom line price up front.

With a dealer that does not discount deep the old car routine might work, but I would bet your old car price would be worse than a deep discount dealers first offer.

Dennis
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Are pretty funny...It really doesn't make any difference and it's unlikely a dealer will have any "old age" CRV's on their lot anyway. Dealers sell their oldest inventory first anyway just like milk in a grocery store.

The longer cars sit around, the more "lot rot" they get.
    It really doesn't make any difference

Dealers sell their oldest inventory first anyway just like milk in a grocery store.

Those seem like two conflicting statements - if it does not make any difference then the dealer would end up with a mixture of old and new cars on the lot. If they do indeed "rotate" the stock like milk at the store then it DOES (or could) make a difference.

A customer walks onto the lot and there are 5 cars the same color and same model. The only difference is how long they have been on the lot. The dealer may WANT to sell the oldest car on the lot, but what if the customer picks the one that just came off the truck? Since you say the dealer want to sell the oldest first, then it would seem that picking the oldest one might net you a slightly better price.

As I said before, a high volume deep discount dealer it will not matter at all. They will give a nice, low price and they don't care which car or truck you pick.

The small, hard to deal with dealer might give a better discount for old stock - but I would be shocked if their best deal on their oldest stock could beat a high volume dealer's price.

Dennis
    None of that matters much.

Of course, we try to sell the oldest unit first. If a customer demands that we sell the freshest car, of course, we will do that. Kind of like the person who reaches way in the back of the dairy case and rearranges everything in their zeal to find the freshest carton of milk.

You are making a bigger deal out of this than it really is.
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Okay....back to comments specific to the Honda CR-V.
  • lienlien Member Posts: 1
    Alohagirl92,
    Could you please tell me your dealer's name? I would like to get one CR-V in a hurry.
    Thanks.
    lien
  • sfocrvsfocrv Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for everyone's postings as a guide to navigating a purchase last night at Anderson Honda in Palo Alto, CA for a EX, Auto, AWD in Redondo Red. It was bit hectic at the dealership in finalizing the paperwork that took a few hours because of their number or deals closing, but worth the wait for a very good price and customer service. I did a lot of pre-negotiations over emails and telephone discussions with their Internet Manager. Others to consider in the Bay Area that were being competitive in their pricing are Serramonte and San Leandro Honda.

Breakdown of the deal:
    $20,900 base + destination
    1,785 sales tax
    271 docs, licenses and fees
    ======
    $22,956 out the door

Hope this information helps someone else too!
  • crvfancrvfan Member Posts: 3
    In Birmingham, AL. I can also get 1.9% APR for 36 months which they said is Memorial Day promotion. Is this a good deal? Is there any other possible pitfall? They charge $400 for doc. fee. Is this reasonable?

Thanks a lot!
    A 400.00 doc fee???

They are probably using those dollars for the low interest buydown if that's what they are doing.

But...I don't really know.

Our store charges a 35.00 doc. fee.
  • lucky_melucky_me Member Posts: 7
    Bought last week - Honda CRV LX 4WD - Standard with no other accessories.

Paid $19049 + Destination + Tax + Title Reg+ Doc Fees
    Total $21,000

Did research over the Internet. Thanks Edmunds Forum & all you guys.
    Went to the dealorship - He quoted MSRP. Told him - 19K + Tax --> is what I will pay. He went in - came back after 15 minutes and told the total price $21K something.
    I first thought It was not a deal at all, but once I realised it was the total price, We shook hands.
    Test drove the car, had 7 miles in the odometer. They asked us to come back in an hour to prep the car.
    Came back - paperwork done in 10 minutes, drove out.
    Overall - no hastle - a very good buying experience.

Thanks again to everyone and Edmunds in making this happen.

"Ignorance is Bliss"
    Research & Knowledge - will get you a good deal - anywhere and everywhere.
  • chantelchantel Member Posts: 12
    Hi All,

Does anyone know whether there are any incentive from Honda Corp to the dealer this month for CR-V? I noticed someone mentioned about incentive on accords but didn't see that on edmunds so I figure maybe there is something on CR-V as well.

Thanks
    CRVS sell very well without these.
  • boxmanokcboxmanokc Member Posts: 5
    I just got a 2005 CRV LX 4WD for $20,800. This total includes the Honda "destination fee".

I am on a 48 month lease ( at $352/mo. I put nothing down. This has me paying a total of $16,896 on the vehicle over a period of 4 years, at which time I walk away with no obligations. This is a 15k miles/year lease with no additional warranty coverage.

Is $352/mo too high (especially considering my credit is perfect)?

Also, I just noticed a $659 "A\T POLICY TRANSFER FEE" on my lease agreement. Is this the same thing as "destination fee"? If so I was lied to, as the destination fee was suposed to be included in the $20,800 total.

Not too happy about the $149 "Documentary Fee" either.

Did I get screwed? If so I'm rather embarrassed as I thought I was a smart buyer.
    Oh, I'm sure some spoil sport will jump in here and tell you you paid too much.

Happens every time...sad that people like to rain on parades.

You paid about 500.00 over dealer invoice on a popular car.

I don't know what the 659.00 POLICY TRANSFER FEE is but you can call and ask the person who did your paperwork what that was for.

A 149.00 doc fee seems high. We charge 35.00 but a lot of places charge a lot more.

My advise? Relax and enjoy your car!
  • dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    That's WAY too high. In a lease, you're only paying for the portion of the vehicle you use, plus interest. There's now way you're going to use up 12 or 13 thousand dollars of that vehicle's value. Go look at what a three or four year old CR-V goes for and do the math.

The whole point of leasing is lower payments. You could have bought the thing for a $100 more a month at 48 months, or taken Honda's 66 month simple interest loan and had almost identical payments. At least you would have had SOMETHING at the end of four years, which you won't when you lease.

The Honda salesman can spin it all he wants, because that's how he makes his living (just buy it, you'll feel good about it, forget about your kid's shoes), but just because you "enjoy" your car doesn't mean you should get fleeced. It's the third biggest purchase of your life, next to a house and an education (maybe), but unlike those things, it doesn't gain value with time. I know you could have done a lot better. Your interest rate must be atrocious.

:sick:
    On closer examination I figured out what the extra $659 is for. The "A\T Policy Transfer Fee" is for EFG Theft-Gard insurance. They slipped that one by me.

Noticed my lease APR is 8.64% -- even on a lease, isn't that high for someone with outstanding credit? This equates to a money factor of 0.0036.

Since I bought the car Sunday and Monday is a national holiday, I think I'll go to the dealership tomorrow and demand a new contract. The dealership will be open but I know banks won't be doing any business tomorrow, which means the contract hasn't been approved by the bank yet, so it's not too late for the dealership to cancel and writeup a new one.

One other thing, what's the difference between Honda's "Leadership Purchase Plan" and a regular lease. Mine is the LPP.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    You didn't lease the car... you bought it on a balloon note...

What a mess...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Is a balloon plan really any different than a lease? After 48 mo. you just turn in the car and walk away from it. I do know AHFC is lenient on what is considered normal wear & tear.

Is car insurance higher if you're on a regular lease as opposed to a ballon note or standard loan?
    I guess I'm just not understanding why you want to "walk away" after four years. I've read time and time again not to lease more than three years. Mainly because your Honda factory warranty is up at three years or 36,000 miles. One of the rules of leasing is NEVER to lease longer than the original factory warranty. This means you are probably going to have to pay for an extended warranty, or take on the cost of repairs yourself after you reach the mileage and/or year limits. One of the big benefits of leasing is not having to do this.

Also, if you lease to buy, you generally end up paying more than if you just bought the car. Most leases require you to actually pay to have the right to purchase the car you just leased. Then you have to purchase the car for whatever value it has left. You're getting the worst of both worlds. Why not lease for three years, or just buy it? However, if you signed the paperwork, I don't know what your options are.
  • gk20gk20 Member Posts: 7
    >> $20,900 base + destination

Does this $20,900 included dest.? :confuse: This price looks too good to be true because quote i could get from Internet sale department @ Anderson Honda is around $22K for EX
    Why do people like you do this?

This is a done deal. Yes, the buyer maybe should have purchased the CRV instead of leased it and maybe the money factor was a bit high.

But you have NO IDEA about how good that person's credit is. You don't know if they rolled in negative equity from another car into that lease.

Instead, you just had to armchair quaterback the deal after it's already done.

And, as I've said before...BEFORE signing paperwork and taking delivery, a person should make VERY SURE of everything. If they don't understand the terms of a sale or a lease, they should bring someone along with them to the dealership that does instad of coming to these forums AFTER the fact.
  • sfocrvsfocrv Member Posts: 5
    Yes it is true. As I stated in my previous posting it did include the destination charge. I made sure of two things when talking with each dealer; 1) what is the cost of the equipped CRV as specified including destination charges and 2) what is my complete total out the door price. This way I was ensured of being able to compare "apples with apples." If you aren't getting the price your are expecting, try the other two Bay Area dealers I mentioned. Some dealers never even bothered responding and others gave me the run around with excuses on how they were losing money on such a deal and to go out and buy it for that if I could. I further emphasized that I was serious about buying within 72-hours, let them know that I arranged for a loan pre-approval from my credit union, and followed up with timely emails and phone calls between the Internet Manager. Don't know how Anderson Honda was able to do this deal with me. I do know I'm happy about it and now enjoying the CRV. :shades: Send me an email if you want more specific details and we can discuss off line.
    Just checking, I think you are lucky :) , I did receive an email last week from Anderson Honda mention about they had a CR-V EX at $20988 (Well, you know this kind of "One in this price" game dealers are playing in order to have you walk in to store) unfortunately the color for this ONE is not what I want. Not sure if this is the one you got. Later on they gave me another quote for pre-memorial day sale but still at about 22k.

Since they were giving me quote at this range, I don't even bother to talk to them because I don't want to wasted my time in playing their games so eventually I went for Capitol Honda at San Jose. Because the quote they gave me started from 21.5K. Just got my CR-V EX Auto at last Friday and here is the breakdown

$21838 (+ dest. + moonroof visor + security upgrade)
    $45 (document fee)
    $1805 (CA tax)
    $203 (DMV fee)
    $9 (CA tire fee)
    -----------------------------
    Total $23900 (out of door)
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    Was quoted $23,435 + tax, lic & doc fee of $369. This works out to $499 under invoice. Is the best I can expect? A good deal? Thanks for any comments.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I wouldn't consider it that much below invoice because IMO "doc fees"--especially exhorbitant ones--should be added in. That puts you right around invoice ($23,836), which still sounds pretty good to me based on my geographic area for a popular vehicle. Why not check the competition where you are?
  • patmpatm Member Posts: 13
    wbwynn,
    Sounds like a great price. I bought my Petwer Pearl CR-V SE earlier this month. I paid
    $23,500 including destination charge
    1175 MA tax
    218 documentation fee, includes sticker + plate transfer
    $24893 out the door
    I love my SE! It's my first new car ever and I could not be happier my choice. After all my stressing out, my purchase turned out to be a great experience. Thanks to all the people on this forum who gave me advice, thank you. I had my loan already worked out with the local credit union @ 3.75% for 48 months. I did not have a trade in, my son took my trusty old '97 Civic off my hands. I'm glad to see him with a safe car. I plan on getting the extras I want online at Handa. Good Luck with your purchase.
    patm
  • kgd36580kgd36580 Member Posts: 4
    Just got back from the dealership with this purchase. Base model with no additional accessories: $18,690.00 plus $279.00 Doc and prep fee plus $16.50 title fee for total of $18,985.50. Of course we have to pay state and local sales tax but because that varies so much according to where you live (state, county and city) I did not list it. I was intending to pay cash for the CR-V but they offered 1.9% financing for 36 months with no change in the deal so I took it. I financed $13,840.00 for 36 months for a total finance charge of $416.00. I can earn more on the money in a money market account. I used the internet and sent inquiries to all dealers within a 150 mile radius. I started getting replies back within an hour and when this deal came in from Treadwell Honda in Mobile, AL it beat all the others by far. I called the internet salesman to confirm the price and then went and purchased. It took less than hour. No pressure from the back room finance guy on the additional services that they try to sell you. Highly recommend. Thanks to Edmunds Forum for all the good info.
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    What dealer in MA did you purchase the car from?
    Thanks.
  • ni3000ni3000 Member Posts: 1
    thanks to everyone on this board for all your info.
    just bought a Nighthawk Black Pearl 2005 CR-V EX automatic with foglights installed:

21,734.35 price (incl. freight, foglights installed, appearance pkg)
    289.00 processing
    776.65 tax/tags/license
    ---------------
    22,800.00 out the door

the one they had waiting for us had 39 miles and we were a little reluctant, so they checked the one on the showroom floor and it had 13 miles. we took that one (is there any downside to this, other than knowing that a lot of people sat in it)? the pre-delivery inspection checklist in the service history booklet says the date of the inspection was 1/7/05, if that means anything. we couldn't detect any PTTR problem.

we got internet quotes from everyone within 30 miles and no one could beat this price, which we got at Sheehy Honda in Alexandria. we were a little uneasy the whole time expecting that they were going to try to rip us off somehow, but i think we were just being a little paranoid since we haven't bought a car in 5 years. they didn't seem to do anything shady and we just wanted to check with you all to see if we got a good deal.

thanks again for all your info.

by the way if anyone needs a civic, the sales guy said they're really trying to push those out the door tomorrow.
  • crvfancrvfan Member Posts: 3
    What is the tax rate in Mobile? I am in Birmingham area and the tax rate is 3.75%. I am trying to get exactly the same model. So far the best offer is $19,800 o.t.d. Don't know if this is a good deal.
  • reddingtonreddington Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy a 2005 CRV AWD LX in the Rhode Island area for out-the-door price of 20k plus sales tax. (Could go to eastern Mass. or eastern Conn.) I can pay cash and buy today or wait. Can anyone tell me the lowest they paid in this area and at what dealership? I am also interested in buying an after-market back-up camera and driver's seat heater--can anyone tell me a good place for purchase and installation of these 2 products in the general area around RI? is there any reason not to buy these 2 after-market products??
  • kgd36580kgd36580 Member Posts: 4
    The tax rate in Mobile is 4.50% but they have this deal for out of Mobile County residents to not charge them more than what they would pay in their home town/county. I end up paying 2.50% on the purchase. I know they have this for surrounding counties but I don't know how far out it extends. They passed this law for the Mobile auto dealers who where losing a lot business from non-Mobile residents who didn't want to pay the high sales tax. Email Treadwell Honda and ask them what sales tax you would have to pay. Here is a link to their website: http://www.treadwellhonda.com/dealers/se/Treadwell-honda/. You can see what I paid to compare prices.
  • dekoraidekorai Member Posts: 56
    I bought a CR-V today (5/31). Got the blue color with 4WD for $1080 below invoice - yes, $18,685 for the AWD LX. After dest., 8.25% NY ripoff tax and DMV fees, out-the-door price was $20,948.50.
    I am a first-time car buyer (been in the US just 3 years) and with a short credit history. I put $7,500 down through my credit card (easy way to get points on Amex) which I will pay off this month, and financed the rest for 36 months through Honda (they beat my Capital One Auto financing by 200 basis points). I'll use the $515 saved to go put tinted glass on the rear. The finance guy at the dealership quoted me $515 for the tint (he knew what Capital One were financing me at) but I knew beforehand from the sales guy on the floor that they do it for $325. So I'll do the tinting elsewhere.

Happy shopping everyone. My 2 cents - go to the Honda website and email (I emailed 30 dealers within a 20 mile radius) dealers in the last week of the month and tell them you will take delivery by month-end. Inevitably, there will be some dealer willing to deal significantly below invoice to meet volume targets, and meet their profit targets through the gullible consumers who walk into a showroom clueless and negotiating off MSRP.
    >> I put $7,500 down through my credit card (easy way to get points on Amex) which I will pay off this month,

When you use your credit card for this kind of transaction, Does it consider as "normal purchase" or "cash advance"? If it is "cash advance" you might need to pay transaction fee.
  • dekoraidekorai Member Posts: 56
    I used the card as a purchase, not as a cash advance. Cash advance would rob me with the transaction fee of 3% :) and interest kicking in the very same day. I have 3 weeks before my statement is due and another 3 weeks to pony up the $7500 I charged.
    It seems odd that you would charge $7500 to a card when you say you can have the money in three weeks. This leaves the assumption you don't have the money now, which is the reason to use the card in the first place. Why not wait three weeks until you have the money before you buy the car? $7500 seems like a LOT of money to get in three weeks. Just curious.

:shades: