Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bilbobagginzbilbobagginz Member Posts: 1
    Just made an agreement with a local dealer for $18,100, cash deal. This is the lowest model with no extras, and includes destination fee. Basically, bought it at $200 over invoice.

Process: sent e-mails to 5 dealers in area, received 2 e-mails back, one offering at 500 over invoice the other stating they'll match any offer. Went to place that said they'd match, but had no cars on lot. Went to place where I bought an Odyssey last year, around 30 minutes before they closed, and told them about the other offer. I said I'll make the deal on the spot for 200 over invoice. Since the manager wanted to go home, they gave it to me. It is on order, 2-3 weeks delivery (but will probably be less than that).
  • Options
    melrib6melrib6 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the middle of playing the deal game and finally am getting some movement on price. I am in upstate NY and dealerships are selling crv's at sticker b/c of the demand and short supply. I finally got one to budge and go 500 below sticker (20,056 for LX 4WD)....I am happy to get that but should I be getting better? Wondering what other paid and if anyone is having getting the "selling at sticker" answer from dealers? thanks.
  • Options
    capricornus9capricornus9 Member Posts: 4
    I found dealers here slow to come off MSRP, too.
    What I wanted: 2003 LX AT AWD. MSRP is 20,100, dest. 460, total sticker 20,560.
    Edmunds TMV is 19,797. Sales mgrs were letting me walk out rather than meet my offer of 19,800. Two of three were willing to go at 19,900, 660 below sticker, which is where I settled with color deciding it, late May.

Melrib6: Try Rochester dealers. One is known for statewide lowest prices. Use him as leverage with your local dealer.
  • Options
    hd114hd114 Member Posts: 3
    capricornus9: I'm dealing with one of those dealers in Rochester at the moment. Could you tell me which one you are referring to from your last post?
  • Options
    capricornus9capricornus9 Member Posts: 4
    Think it is John Holdt or something close. I am in Buffalo where the biggest volume dealers and best prices are #1, Lia, and #2 Ray Laks.
  • Options
    emalemiemalemi Member Posts: 2
    I would like some help/advise.

We've been offered an "out-the door" price of $22,932 on a Honda CR-V EX Automatic including roof rack installed, wheel locks, free Inspection for the life of the car, first three (3) maintenance services free, and free loaner provided for any car service taking three (3) hours or more.

We are taking a week to think it over, and any advise would be appreciated. Thank you all!
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I think capricornus9 meant John Holtz Honda.

And don't forget about Ontario Honda in Canandaigua, it's where I'd buy if I were looking right now.

And no, I don't work for them.

:)
  • Options
    powiebabypowiebaby Member Posts: 2
    emalemi taking a week to mull over your offer:

In MA, I paid $24,295.75 TOTAL FINAL COST, including MA 5% tax, for my 03 EX automatic. It included installed $1300 leather seating. If I take out the leather seating and its portion of the tax, then my total cost is $22930.75. I shopped on-line and thought my deal was pretty damn good up here in Boston. Don't know where you are, or what your sales tax is, but if it's comparable to MA's 5%, then your offer of $22932 for the same car (I got my high demand silver), with roof rack and wheel locks and free lifetime sticker and first 3 maintenance services free sounds like a SUPER deal. I wouldn't wait another minute......
  • Options
    goldencrvgoldencrv Member Posts: 6
    Looked at the Mazda6, Pontiac Vibe, Subaru Forester and CRV during the past three months and read discussions on each car on Edmunds. Finally decided on the CRV EX Auto and collected quotes through carsdirect.com. The lowest bids were $22,929 and $23,000 for total drive-out price at a tax rate of 6.25%. Counter-offered $22,800 by phone and one of dealers accepted. Signed the sale papers last night and am picking up the golden CRV EX tonight after work. Loved the silver exterior but have to have a light colored interior to get through the summers in Houston :-)
  • Options
    Anyone in upstate NY having any luck getting below MSRP? Trying to negotiate with a dealer in Rochester and he won't budge. He's throwing in a cargo cover and thinks we're lucky for getting that. It doesn't help when they have a list of people waiting to buy one.
  • Options
    twhantwhan Member Posts: 45
    I am looking at a 1997 CR-V LX with 70000miles on it asking for $12000. Is this a fair price?
  • Options
    deanvdeanv Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a new silver 2003 CRV EX with automatic for $21,033.57 including delivery costs at Grand Honda in the Chicago area (Elmhurst). This includes $92.57 in fees. This does not include any taxes or license fees because I am not an Illinois resident. This price is about $800 less than the other quotes I received. Their price for each model is posted on their website.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    A friend of mine had a '98 CRV EX that she leased for 4 years.. The residual at the end of lease.(and this was last December) was $12000. $12K seems a little high for a '97 LX. I would think a price closer to $10K. If you have $12-14K to spend, I'd look for 98-99 EX. If you are happy with the LX, look for '99 or newer, as they have more horsepower. (badly needed if buying an automatic).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Great price!! $1800 under sticker. You'll love it..

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    abcde10abcde10 Member Posts: 2
    Great deal! Deanv.

Did you get the CRV? they told me it is out of stock and I have to wait for weeks if I want one.
  • Options
    How is it possible that your paying $100 less than what the dealer paid for it? Was this car a test-drive vehicle or something? Are you the dealship owner's son?
  • Options
    deanvdeanv Member Posts: 4
    I purchased the car from Grand Honda in Elmhurst yesterday, 6/26/03, and the car is scheduled to arrive at the dealer on 7/1/03. This works out for my schedule because I have to fly into Chicago and pick it up. I put a $1,000 deposit on my credit card to hold the vehicle. Balance due when car is picked up.

The CRV is fresh from the factory - no demo or anything. And no, I don't have anything to do with the dealership. Anyone can get the same price I did. I just saw their price on the website and gave them a call. I told them that I wanted a 2003 CR-V EX 4WD with automatic and they gave me a delivery date.

Dealers can sell for less than the published "invoice" price because of "Dealer Holdback". Honda gives the dealer 2% of base MSRP according to: www.wheelsdirect2u.com/dealer_holdback.htm.

For me, the best thing was there was no negotiations involved. The price on their Grand Auto's website is the price I got. And they never tried to sell me any options or extended warranties - neither of which I want.

I'll update after picking up the silver CR-V EX 4WD with Automatic and let you know how the transaction went.
  • Options
    tomfelixtomfelix Member Posts: 3
    What would a fair price be for keyless entry and tinted windows on a CR-V LX?
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    What would a fair price be for keyless entry and tinted windows on a CR-V LX?

You can get the Keyless Entry kit for less than $90 on the internet. It's pretty easy to install.

I've had estimates to tint the windows in my CR-V that range from $150 to $350. Look for a shop that offers a lifetime guarantee on their work. Remember that each state has different laws about how dark the tint can be.

Good luck!
  • Options
    emalemiemalemi Member Posts: 2
    Powiebaby,

Thank you for responding to me. I feel better about the deal now, (and I think your deal sounded good also). I'm in PA so I'm looking at 6% sales tax. We are going to try and sign up for the EX tomorrow. Thanks again!
  • Options
    art49art49 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a new green 2003 CRV EX with automatic for $21,100 out the door. Included options: Cargo cover, front mud flaps, full set of service manuals, and a third key with the chip in it. Got TMV on my trade in - so I felt the deal was good.

Dealer was Bill Page Honda in Falls Church, VA. Had been working with a salesman for about 2 weeks, but the whole deal took place in less than an hour. Brought the trade-in by that morning for them to see it, came back at 4PM and started the process, had an agreed price in 20 minutes. Having the Edmunds printouts clearly helped, but they wanted the sale. In the financing, got a great deal from Honda - 3.6% on a 5 yr note.
  • Options
    jcmittelsjcmittels Member Posts: 1
    Just got home tonight with a new 2003 black CRV -EX Automatic from Grand Honda in Elmhurst for $20,600.00. Adding $250 for roof rack and cargo net, 6.75% tax, title, license, and doc fee, I got the car out the door at $22,456.57. The salesman was great. I called only this morning and obtained the quote and by the time I got in there this evening the car was ready to go! It was a great car buying experience (if there is such a thing) and I highly recommend them to anyone shopping for a Honda in the Chicago area.
  • Options
    vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Art,

Congratulations on your new CRV EX!

Sounds like you were able to get a price which is offered by Maryland dealers right here in Virginia!

Can you please email me at soltero22@yahoo.com
    I have some questions for you. Thanks.
  • Options
    webddwebdd Member Posts: 2
    What do you think of this deal? (Florida)
    $19,422.00 + DEALER SERVICES $395.00=
    $19817
    excluding other local tax/fees that vary for everyone.

I'm not exactly sure what these dealer "services" entail. Edmunds invoice + 460 destination = $19,030. So this puts me $787 over invoice.

Comes with:
    Tank of Gas; mats; touchup paint; Complimentry First Oil Change w/ Wash and Vac; two year wash/wax/paint sealant program; and our "Alternative Transportation Program".

I'm I better off waiting on an 04?

Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    taykinitezytaykinitezy Member Posts: 56
    webdd, we paid $19460 for our LX back in March. (not including tax.) in the Akron Oh. area. At that time the Edmunds TMV pricing was $19800 something so I thought we got a fairly good deal. The Edmunds TMV for this area has since come down to $19523. Have you checked the TMV for your specific zip code? " $395 for "dealer services " sounds like a bunch of malarkey......good luck.
  • Options
    hongxyhongxy Member Posts: 2
    Just got a red Honda CR-V EX AT from Nally Honda at Union City, Atlanta for MSRP(22,860) + Tax/Tag for $25,000 with 0% APR for 60 months. Dealer also put Mug guard, visor, roof rack, and finish coating for free. Good service, but not sure about if it is a good price. Anyway, a gift for my wife, Happy.
  • Options
    hawaiiguyhawaiiguy Member Posts: 11
    easily worth more than $350 in goodies...
  • Options
    sayuritommysayuritommy Member Posts: 5
    2003 LX 2WD + Base Carrier(roof rack) + 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels

$19388 + TTL

That is $100 over invoice for the CR-V + $289 for the Base Carrier(roof rack) + $1076 for the Alloy wheels.

I bought at Honda Cars of McKinney. They were very high pressure and I do not recommend them.

I really like the car though.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention TTL is tax title and license fees. In Texas tax is 6.25% and the title and license fees are little over $200. TTL is set by the state and does not vary by dealership.
  • Options
    yengiangyengiang Member Posts: 6
    I went to Gwinnett Place Honda past Mon and asked for 19,000 (drive out) on this model but they didn't take it. So I left there and got me a 03 Camry LE(4 cyl, auto with no extra option) for 17,400(drive out).

The sale man just called me today to let me know that the car is ready for me to pick up.
  • Options
    kevinpotterkevinpotter Member Posts: 4
    I'm about to close this deal at near Lansing MI.
    -2003 Honda CR-V EX 4WD (black)
    -Internet selling price: $21,251.00
    -Doc fee: $99.00
    -Total taxable price: $21,350.00
    -6% MI sales tax: $1,281.00
    -Title fee: $12.00
    -New plate:$71.00
    -Total out the door cost: $22,714.00

What do you think?
  • Options
    $1500 under sticker.. sounds great!! Assuming its an automatic. Enjoy your car.

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    long_isl_crvlong_isl_crv Member Posts: 3
    Recently leased a CRV-EX

Cost with no options/48 months --> $310
    Cost with Rack/Alarm/Tax rolled in --> $375
  • Options
    hongxyhongxy Member Posts: 2
    My experience in Gwinnett Honda was not good. They are the biggest Honda dealer in Atlanta area but the sales/manager are not nice, and put pressure on you. I stay away from them, and got my CR-V Ex auto from Nalley Honda at Union City. Nalley's service was great compared to Gwinnett Honda.
  • Options
    tigerinroctigerinroc Member Posts: 18
    Went to a dealer here in Rochester NY to look for a 2003 CRV two days ago. Did not realize that you have to be on a list to get a CRV, even to get a 2003 in September!!

Well, tried to make a deal for a 2004 which comes in October. The deal for a 2004 LX 4WD Silver is:

$20,560 (2003 MSRP) - $700 (discount) + $1,295 for accessories (security system, fog light kit, front splash guards, floor mats, and leather steering wheel leather), excluding NYS tax of 8.25% (Ouch!).

Is it a good deal?

Thank you for your thoughts.
  • Options
    The 2003 comes w/ floor mats.

I went to hondacars.com. There you can build your car and add accessories to get an overall MSRP. The accessories you chose(minus the floor mats) have the following MSRP(w/o installation charge).

Exterior Accessories (installation not included)
     FRONT SPLASH GUARDS $59.00
     FOG LIGHT KIT $329.00
     SECURITY SYSTEM $199.00
     KEYLESS ENTRY $119.00
     SECURITY SYSTEM ATTACHMENT $29.00

Interior Accessories (installation not included)
     LEATHER STEERING WHEEL COVER $59.00

The total is $794 w/o installation. That leaves $501 for installation of those accessories. That seems high.

Is the dealer forcing you to add these accessories or did you choose these? If they are forcing then try some different dealers. Here in Texas I found dealers that forced you to buy certain accessories and some that did not.

I used the edmunds.com and and dealer on-line price qoute services to get a good price.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    Check out carsdirect.com

In my area they're offering the EX for $21,510 before tax. title and dest. Still, it seems like a darn good deal.
  • Options
    poorstudent1poorstudent1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Blue 2003 EX in Bethesda, Maryland. This was my first car and I must say that it was not a good experience. I started looking a couple of weeks ago and after visiting a few places, I stopped by this one after work. I was greeted by a guy who, in the beginning, was very pleasant. We went for a test drive; he showed me the car and explained it to me in great detail. So we sat down and he and I began discussing some numbers. He knocked off prices left and right, and he also offerred me a $500 coupon so i thought i was getting a good deal. After a few minutes, I told him i wasn't ready to buy yet for financial reasons but will definitely buy from him in a couple of weeks. So we shook hands and I left with sense of hope that i would be gettting a good deal.

Two weeks go by and I returned to the same sales guy to buy my car. maybe he thought he already 'had' me, but the attitude and attention i was getting just a couple of weeks before was GONE. he sent me on a test drive by myself, i waited until he was ready for me, etc. And when it came time to sign the papers, he became VERY aggressive. He also neglected to explain to me the options that were already attached to my cr-v until the very last minute. he just asked me for the color. he did not take the time to show me the exact car that i was going to buy. I had no idea there were going to be additional charges to the msrp. by the way, the discounts he offered me a couple of weeks back wasn't even mentioned, but instead he gave me the internet discount which was much less than i had anticipated.

this was my first car. so i didn't know any better. was I just too naive?

then, "additional options lady" came to sell me the special rust proofing, paint protection stuff, and an alarm (not cheap). and the finance guy told me about the the extended warranty (he never told me the price. it was diluted in my monthly charge) And NONE of these thing were mentioned by my sales guy. had i known about all these things, i may have chosen a different car.

but when do i step in and speak out about my concerns? those guys definitely wanted me out the door ASAP with the car. Am i a retard?

i am very happy with the car. running boards, mud guards, door edge guards, wheel locks, pin stripe (none of which i really needed). but i only got $645 off of everything even though i left them a HUGE down payment (75% of MSRP). i ended up paying close to $23,400, NOT including tax, destination fee, dealer fees, etc. SO i have very mixed feelings right now. It sucks to know that you paid too much.

anyways, if you have any inputs, i would appreciate it. thanks.
  • Options
    tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    This kind of car buying experience makes all the car sales person look bad. No wonder buyers in various forums discount a sales person's claim, even if it is true.

It seems Toyota has a step ahead in addressing this very issue for the younger folks. No wonder Toyota is a strong car company on this planet.

Testing drive a Scion XB is on my list next year.
  • Options
    Don't beat yourself up over this. Its a typical scenario for a first-time car buyer. It appears you paid MSRP for your car and the added options. While that isn't a great deal, I think you'll find quite a few people on this board who have paid the same. That deal is over, learn from it, and enjoy your new car. You made a great choice, and the salesman can't screw that up.

Not sure about Toyota being ahead on anything when it comes to customer service. In my area, they are the worst dealers.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Anyone have some insight into what kind of deals Honda offers during its annual year end clearance now going on? Is it just hype, or do they really offer deeper discounts?
  • Options
    timmackaytimmackay Member Posts: 3
    We recently had a similar experience as poorstudent1. We've been looking around for CR-Vs for awhile in NH. No inventory here either...

We visited a dealership nearby last Sat. The salesman seemed friendly (on the first visit). So we placed a refundable deposit to hold one "coming in a few days" since there was nothing on the lot. A blue CR-V EX auto. We talked some numbers but nothing written down for a base price of a the vehicle, an average monthly payment, interest rates to expect, but nailed down a trade-in value.

I called him on Tues. to check the status the CR-V. It wasn't in yet--which was fine. He reassured me that it was coming in during the next couple of days. I then asked him for final figures for the car and an interest rate. He became defensive and evaded my question. He asked me "why I am bringing this up now!? I thought we were cool!?" I asked him a different way and he finally agreed that he would call me back by the next day with final numbers.

I never heard from him.

My father in-law drove by the dealership on Mon. morning and he saw a brand new blue CR-V EX on the lot. My wife learned of this from him on Wed. and decided to go check it out. The dealer was there and the first thing he said was "that's not your car, that car was already sold, it was out back." My wife was becoming suspicious. They went inside to look at the paperwork that we never received a copy of. The price of the car was written on the P&S at MSRP. Not at all what we had discussed. He then disclosed that he is actually discounting the car, but the discount is included in the trade-in value. Making the trade-in value less. He said the car would be in on Thur.

I called the business manager of the dealership Thur. morning and explained the situation to him. He finally gave me final figures which were competitive, a good interest rate, and a better trade-in value. I asked him when the vehicle would arrive he said my name was down for mid-sept. delivery. Not Thurs. I last spoke to the general manager, explained my disgust, and received my deposit back. The car that was on the lot Mon. morning was most likely ours. It was sold from under us for whatever reason...

We have since written a letter to Honda Corporate about this situation. It is ridiculous that this business has to be this way and unfortunate that these salesman represent Honda to consumers. The dealers make these rules and the buyer has no choice but to play these games. Is it really worth it? I hope these ethics change soon to benefit the consumer's buying experience.
  • Options
    djsalingerdjsalinger Member Posts: 2
    just bought a silver, manual,crv EX in Marin (SF)...got it at $20,688 before taxes...got a cargo cover at a nice discount...out the door price including taxes, desti and what not...$22,800...got money/interest rate through westamerca for 3.64-honda was at 3.99-the finance lady said it was "the best rate"...

sales experience all together was "ok"...finance lady tried to sell me a bunch of typical junk though...

i hope i got a deal...feel free to comment...
  • Options
    tranmanyotranmanyo Member Posts: 2
    I just paid $20,900 for EX auto in the bay area. They gave me 6.84% for an interest rate even though I have sterling credit. I think this is a little high.

I've signed already, but is there anything I can do to lower it? Get another loan to pay it off?
  • Options
    william21william21 Member Posts: 16
    The interest rate seems high. We to have great credit and our credit union gave us 4.5 on 48 months. The finance guy could beat it, but we opted for the credit union because it comes out of my wife's auto deposit twice a month.
  • Options
    djsalingerdjsalinger Member Posts: 2
    re high interest rate in bay area...

i believe you can transfer your account
    to another bank the first week or so...my finance
    lady at marin honda beat honda's 3.99 with west america bank-got me at 3.24
  • Options
    tranmanyotranmanyo Member Posts: 2
    Thank you.

I will try the suggestion and report back. I have a great credit score and history.

Here is a related thread: tranmanyo "Good credit, but bad deal on financing. What to do?" Jul 20, 2003 11:43am
  • Options
    nautikernautiker Member Posts: 32
    My wife is looking to purchase a 03 CR-V EX Auto in Eternal Blue up here in Maine. Same prob as NY--MSRP and nothing lower. Tried @ 3 Different Dealerships in the area. Definitely considering expanding the search after reading the posts on this board. I agree that @ $22.9k w/ freight, it's still a good deal(you still get much for your money), but we don't need spend anymore than we have to. The dealerships were upfront in telling us that they won't be discounted up here, but it still bites that we'll have to travel hundreds of miles to get the vehicle at a decent price.

Does anybody have experience with/think carsdirect.com is the way to go with this to not travel.. Won't they deliver the vehicle to your door??

I thought they would at least bargain on the 03's since 04's should be coming out soon
  • Options
    rloeserrloeser Member Posts: 1
    I just negotiated a deal this past Friday night at Nanuet Honda in Nanuet, NY and I'm curious to hear from others if I've done well. CRV EX Auto $22,552 includes destination charges, cargo tray ($99), cargo cover ($179), and roof rack ($249). Would have been $23,387, but I came in $835 under that. Could I have done better? Or was that a decent deal?
  • Options
    Try Autofair Honda in Manchester, NH.. shouldn't be too far away. They usually have the best prices on the net. Really low on Accords, not sure what they do on CRVs.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator