Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mazda6_5doormazda6_5door Member Posts: 15
    Man if I can get them for 20-22 respectively, then I am very tempted, but I will try my local dealers first before trekking to KY. I think we are gonna go take a test drive in a little bit. If we like it, can get it for at least very close to the prices you listed and they will beat my financing, then I may just have to buy it right there.

Thanks for the info on the options guys, she said she doesn't really need that stuff. I woudl get it if it was my vehicle. Resale value probablly won't figure into it as I expect her to keep it forever.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Make sure you have the dealers give you a price for the truck, destination, and any dealer or "doc" fees. Very important when comparing prices since some will give you a super sounding number on the truck, then add the destination and several hundred in "doc" fees when you go to sign the papers. The ones from Swope include these things - and all dealers should charge the same for tax, title, and tags.

The place we got my wife's new Accord from gets nearly $300 for a "doc" fee, so their price on the car was lower than most :-)

It looks like it is only 3 hours of so drive down there...

Dennis
  • willguywillguy Member Posts: 1
    Just bought the CRV LX FWD. Got a quote from the dealer internet sales for $18500 including destination. Doc fee of $50. The car just came in the morning but when I got to the dealership in the evening, they already put in the splash guard, trunk tray, wheel locks, pinstripe, door edge trim and the paint & fabric protectant which I did not want in the first place(the only thing I want is the splash guard) which raise the price by almost $2000 more. When I saw all that, I told the salesperson that I want all that remove if possible. Then he went to the sales manager and came out with a new price of $19900 with all the accessories because they do not want to take it off. I told him that I was told by the internet sales that the car did not have any options to it and that's what I want and I offered him $18700 with everything included and they accept it. Maybe because it was the last day of the month and it's 10pm then. I think I got a pretty good deal since every Honda dealership in the Dallas area offered either at or above invoice. :)
  • martyhmartyh Member Posts: 11
    Great deal! You beat my deal by $100 and got the appearance package thrown in. $200 for the appearance package is good. I agree your timing was perfect. Congratulations!
  • jlumjlum Member Posts: 2
    Must thank everyone who posted here. Have really helped me in buying smart.
    The lowest I got from local Seattle Metro area was $200 above invoice for both the EX and SE models. I checked further south, as far as Vancouver and Portland, and was able to get below invoice prices, ~22K+$60 doc fee+tax+reg for Ex auto and ~23,300+doc+tax+reg for SE plus Free 100K oil changes. Looks like others were able to get better deals in California, but the one I got seems to be the best deal in the area. Please let me know if you know of any better deals here. Thanks.
  • motorcityscottmotorcityscott Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up a CRV on Tuesday using Cars Direct. The way it works is you go to their web page, pick your vehicle and give them you zip. They give you a price on the vehicle, from there you can request they find the vehicle for you at that price at a local dealer. You work with a contact from Cars Direct who works with a local dealer or two to find the car in your area. You need to fax them some info and give them a deposit. In my case I wanted a 4WD LX in Red in a day or two he came back with a dealer that had the car on order and was coming in to the dealer in a few days. They will also arrange financing or you can get your own or even finance through the local dealer you pick it up from. It saved alot of running around and time negotiating. The car arrived last Friday and I picked it up on Monday with 4 miles on it. The dealer was 20 miles from my house and it took about an hour to test drive it, check the car over and sign the papers.

2005 Honda CRV LX 4WD Redondo Red
    Price including destination $20,505
    Service/Doc Fee $160
    Total Taxable Price $20,665
    Sales Tax $1,240
    License Fee $143
    Title Fee $15
    Total Out the Door $22,063

About $400 over invoice with no haggling or running around. One of the smoother car transactions I have had. The Cars Direct representative and the local dealer were great to work with.
  • jlumjlum Member Posts: 2
    If you're willing to drive down to Vancouver or Portland, you can get a better deal.
  • motorcityscottmotorcityscott Member Posts: 3
    I went with the LX specifically to avoid the sunroof. It takes about two inches from the headroom and leaves me brushing my head on the roof. Now if I was a bit shorter in the torso or the seat went lower it would have worked for me. I agree the alloy wheels look nice, but it didn't matter to my wife the main driver. You can get the LX Convenience Package installed by the dealer which includes 16" alloy wheels (a different style), a cargo cover and a center armrest.

Thanks,
    Scott
  • mikef208mikef208 Member Posts: 69
    Ooops, looks like I aparenlt have 2 accounts here, not sure how that ahppened. I am at my familys for the weekend, and I don't remember the password or email for my other account. I didn't realize I had 2. So anyway, its me mazda6_5door. I went ahead and bought the car yesterday. But I may have gotten screwed. They did beat the cars direct price by 100.00 bucks. But then added a 99.00 dollar doc fee. Where I may have gotten screwed is with financing. Like I said, I got a 6.35 from capital one. Immke qualified me at 7.9%. They told me that with capital one there is some aquisition fee that ends up raising your rate to like 9+%. Any truth to that? I needed a new car, and I didn't know if he was right or not, so i took thier financing option. So they are getting an extra 16 bucks a month out of me on financing. But I just want to know if they lied to me or not.

I also may have added a couple of uneeded extras. They originally offered me some portec stuff, supposed to help keep the car clean. I originally turned them down. I figured it was like scotch guard or something. Then I found out that if I get a stain, I can take it to them and they will clean it for me. So it seemed okay at 205.00. I also took thier gap insurance. I knew I would probablly need it, and could either get it from my insurance, but since they offered it, I took it.Worked out okay cause they were out of the normal forms, so for no extra charge he gave us the better version which not only pays for the depreciation on the car(or the gap, whatever you want to call it) plus they pay an extra 1000.00 dollars.

And finally they talked me into an extended warranty. I originally turned them down, but then they told me that if I didn't use it, that they give a full refund. So I figured its not a horrible bet, since if i use it a couple times, with the cost of foreign parts, it should pay for itself. If i don't use it, I get my money back.

Although I just thought of a question, I wish i would have thought of while we where there. He said that warranty starts from date of purchase. So does that mean it supercedes the original manufacturers warranty. I mean say I take it in tomorrow for a broken tail light or something. Will that be fixed with the original warranty or the extended one. If they automatically use the extended one, I think I will be canceling that contract.

Other then that stuff, it was a pretty easy transaction. Aside from having to deal with 2 differant people. I originally talked to one who said he could beat the cars direct price. Then after coming back from the test drive, that guy was busy, so I got switched to another guy. Well he tried to stick me with sticker price. I told him no dice and he better beat cars direct or I will just buy from them. He went to see his "manager" and came back and beat the price. Obviously tying the price after doc fees. Not sure if somebody said if carsdirect includes doc fees or not. Although I think that was the dealership in KY you where talking about. Said he couldn't beat my financing, but told me what he told me about capital one, so I took the deal. We did end up egtting an EX if i didn't mention that already. We didn't need all the extra stuff. But it was nice stuff and liekothers said, if we ever do sell it, it will increase resale.

So thanks for the help, sorry for the novel, and please let me know if they lied to me about capital one financing? And also if you have any idea about the loan. I skimmed it while at the dealership, but was kinda in a hurry to get out, and like i said, I didn't think about it till today, so I will give it a read. Thanks.
    Its not letting me edit my last post, and I forgot to mention this.

Oh I almost forgot. After we got the car we stopped to show it some family, and noticed quite a bit of water leaking from beneath the car. It appear to be coming from a little pipe on the bottom of the car at the back and bottom of the engine. It was not collant, as it was just plain clear water. The temp guage was showing a fine temp, so I wasn't worried about it. I assumed it was from the AC, we had it running, but it seemed excessive for just the AC. If it comtinues, I will definately have them look at it. That is assuming its under the original warranty and not that extended one.
    So please refer to my last 2-3 posts for full info. I just reread the warranty contract, I can cancel within 30 days and get a full refund, so I will have to look into how that warranty works.

Secondly, we forgot about a couple accesories we wanted to add to the car, I assume we can probablly add them later, but not sure, anybody know. Specifically she wants the cargo are cover thing, that covers and hides what in your cargo area from view. Plus maybe a couple other thing.
  • edmundsjohnedmundsjohn Member Posts: 2
    Hi, willguy,
    i am living in dallas. also want to buy the same one (CRV LX FWD) these days. could you please tell me where you bought yours? And other tricks? Thanks.
    john
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Just watch out for "surprises" when you get there. 200.00 over invoice on a hot mover isn't good enough to buy locally?
    Well, you negotiated a good deal up front then gave them a lot of money back in the finance office.

You asked, so I will answer.

There is no extra fee to you for Capital One, just a simple interest loan - so they lied to you right there. They don't get to make any extra money if you hand them a C1 check, so they got you to go with their financing and PROBABLY jacked up the real rate they could get for you to make extra money (i.e. the bank may have gone for 6.9% but you signed for 7.9% so they dealer makes the extra 1%).

You don't need any of that exterior or interior "junk" they want to add on - it is just extra profit for the dealer. They prey on your feeling that you need to protect your new truck - but you need none of that. Gap insurance on a financed car is pretty bogus too. You are buying a popular model with strong resale value for below invoice, and most points in the life of a 48-60 month loan it will be worth what you owe or more. If something were to happen to it and the insurance tried to pay you too little to cover the loan pay off, just ask the insurance company to replace it with a like truck.

You don't post the price you paid for the warranty, if is was for a real HondaCare warranty or not, and the terms. But I would bet you got took on the price and warranty. HondaCare is backed by Honda and is the only one you want to buy. If you cancel you get a pro-rated refund not "all your money back if you don't use it". At least with this you CAN un-wind the warranty and tell them you want a refund. If you financed it with the truck, it gets a little messy since they send the refund to the bank and they (usually) take it off the bank end of loan. So you pay the same payments as before, but and the end of the loan there will be 1 or more payments you don't have to make. You can get the real HondaCare for the CR-V for $900 or less than covers to 7 yrs, 100k miles, with $0 deductible.

See http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hondacare/warranty.htm for example.

With HondaCare there are a few benefits if you get it while the new car warranty is in effect, to me not worth buying NOW. If you wait until the truck is just under 24 months old or 24k miles you can get it for the same price, wait until 36/36k and it only goes up $60. The advantage of waiting is the pro-rate on the cancel. If you trade the truck or it is stolen or totalled you can apply for a pro-rated refund. If you buy it now then you get a lot less of your money back then.

A broken tail light is an accident and would be covered under insurance and neither warranty would be a help.

So I would for sure un-wind the dealer's warranty then decided later if you want the HondaCare warranty or not.

I think they just "got you" - you were in a hurry and didn't stick to your guns. You have a loan approved for a lesser rate and yet they somehow talked you out of it? You might can see if you can un-do that to and use your C1 check. If not, maybe you can get a C1 refinance rate that is better than the rate you signed for. The "protection" stuff, the Gap insurance, the (probably) way over-priced and probably non-HondaCare warranty were even more icing on the dealer's cake.

I don't want to rain on your new truck parade, but you asked.

Dennis
    One of the sponsors here, H and A has the accessories about as cheap as I have seen.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv05.html

A lot like the cargo cover and a snap to install, some others like the alarm or fog lights are not nearly as simple.

Dennis
    No I appreciate your info, it will protect me the next time, this was my first new car purchase and with your help, I have learned, although I learned the hard way. Yes I was in a hurry, I know that worked against me, but I did need a vehicle relatively soon.

So to answer some of your questions, no I don't think it was a honda care warranty, and it cost a lot more, I think about 1400.00, so yes I plan to get my refund on that. Within the first 30 days without using it, it says i get a full refund. Also I will actually have to check, I don't recall it saying hondacare on it. But he had a thing on his desk talking about the warranty(not like paper work, but a big thing)I don't recall exactly what it said, but it sure looked like the warranty info on the honda site, that I had seen when originally looking at the CPO one. I mean same graphics and everything, so maybe it is. But I will talk to them more abotu it, if i don't get a good answer, then I will cancel, and i assume get a full refund, according to the paper work.

By broken tail light, I meant the actual bulb, but that may still be a wear and tear item i suppose. I just meant something stupid and cheap.

As for the extra car protection stuff, your right i originally figured it was a gimmick, so I turned them down, they lowered the price, I turned them down again. But then when they told me that i can actually bring the car into them if it gets a stain and they clean it, that made it seem better. So I took it. Maybe it was still a mistake?

The Gap insurance I kinda though you had to get, well not really had to, but i thought it was a good idea. But now thinking about what you just said, that since I got a deal below invoice and with the hondas resale value, it probablly won't be an issue. I didn't realize I could just get the insurance to give me another one like it. I thought they paid the cars value and you bought a new one like it if you wanted. Again, my mistake, I am learning the hard way.

At the end of the deal, the guy asked me if my experience was good today. I said yes, and he said to remember that when honda calls for the survey. Well when I talk to them again, I am gonna tell them that has changed big time if they don't at least try to correct these these they did. Obviously they may not care, and with the paperwork signed they may not be able to do much. But as I said, I want a couple of honda accesories for it, maybe I can get them to throw them in for free.

As for the financing, I have to get a refinace check to get a better rate on that right. I can't like get my check from capital one and then make it out for the full amount and then send it in as my first months payment? If I can't i will have to look for other financers, since capital ones refinance rate is 7.25%, so not a huge savings, although still better.

So in the end I got screwed kinda, and i will learn from it, thanks to your help. And be sure they will hear from me about it. I may not get my way, but they will know i am pissed and they will not see my buisness any more.

But if you know anything about the capital one financing, let me know if i can still use that, although I am assuming no.
  • patmpatm Member Posts: 13
    Mike,
    I can totally appreciate your situation. This was my first new car too. My dealer also offered to sell me an extended warranty that is not Honda Care, that cost a lot more than collegehillshonda.com, I don't even know if what they are selling is better than Honda Care. They haven't pressured me and I am greatful. I haven't decided yet what to buy, but it sounds like I have 24,000 miles to decide. Just deciding on the model was enough stress for me! In the end, I have a great car/SUV that I love! and you do too! So it's a learning experience. Enjoy your CR-V!
    Happy trails,
    patm
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Congrat on your first car purchase, like you said this was a learning experience. I can;t say I have not made the same mistakes, but it was before the internet age.

First of all, how bad is your credit that you got a 8% APR loan on a new car? How much were you putting down? Had you financed though American Honda Finance corporation GAP insurance is free. If you are a recent college graduate or will be graduating soon and have no credit history, AHFC will finance you at the lowest advertized rate at the time, given that you have no negatives on your credit report. They will let you do that with just $1000 down.

As for the Capital one fees, you could have called Capital one right there from the salesman's desk and asked. You would have cought him in his bluff, he wouldn't even try to sell you other stuff. You would have shown him that you know your business. You woldn't have been talking about extended warranty, GAP, and protection packages.

You could pay it off with your Capital one check, but be carefull some second tier finance companies (like the one who financed you) may slap a hefty fine for pre-paying the loan. They give dealer a $600 to $1000 check for each victim. They want to make sure they make their money too.

Cancell your extended warranty unless you really want it. Even if you do want it, cancell this one, and get Honda care within the next 2 years or 24,000 miles for $900. By then you will know if you are keeping the car and if it has been behaving bad enough to warrant extended coverage cost. Your car is covered for the next 3 years/36,000 miles by Honda warranty, what is the point of paying for one now? The OEM warranty will superseed the extended contract.

Buy accessories from the site sponsor HandA and save your self money, unless the dealer is going to give you the accessories for free because they took you on the car purchase.

Edit:
    Just read your previous post. You have FICO 745 and got taken on the 8% loan! Yes, your income is low, but I don't know what your bills are, still at 745 FICO you would have qualified for Honda finance no problem, and if you are a recent grad, you would have definatley qualified. Right now Honda does not have too great a Special finance rate on CR-V, but once in a while they have 2.9% or even 1.9% on CR-V. Their normal rate is about 4.9% on a 60 month note.

Your income, $25,658 is very low for this class of vehicle though. But if you have no other bills (rent, mortgage, credit card debt, school loans) you can swing a 60 month note on it. General rule of thumb is that your car should be less than 1/2 of your annual income, not car note, but the total vehicle cost should be less than half of annual income. You may be maxing out with the CR-V. Let's say you net $1300/month, your car note is about $400-$500 that leaves you very little to live on. Don't forget that car needs gas, and maintenance, plus you need food and shelter.
    How much are you putting away into your 401K, savings?

Sorry for the negative post.
  • mafernamaferna Member Posts: 83
    Where did you find that AHFC offers GAP insurance for free? I couldn't find anything in my signed documents. It would be great to have it, even though Hondas do not depreciate as much.
    Thanks
  • fando81fando81 Member Posts: 1
    Vacaville Honda
    CRV LX 4WD -Blue
    Dealer traded for it.
    $19,788 +fees & tax
    Honda offered 5.44% financing. (got 4.5% through Credit Union)
    CR wholesale $19,682.
    No haggling and best of all, no PTTR (at least not yet, gulp).
    The Capital One check can only be written to a car dealer. Write it for a new car and get the new car rate, write it for a used car and get the used car rate. At least this was how it was last time I used one. You can't use it to pay off the loan you signed, but you might go back to the dealer and get them to take it today. If not, but can try for a re-finance loan from Capital One and see what the rate is. If it is less than what you are paying, then you could pay off the loan as soon as the account is set up with a re-finance check from them.

You did good in checking in here before buying the USED CR-V you were looking at, I just wished you had stepped out of the finance office for a break once things started to go wrong. If you had walked away and thought about things and even come online and asked, you would have been a lot better off. They count on that, and the longer you stay the less likely you are to leave. Just remember you are in control, they tell you something you don't like or don't understand or don't believe call them on it - or just take a break and walk away.

Dennis
  • bongo2363bongo2363 Member Posts: 7
    How likely am I to find an 2005 SE (specifically Pewter Pearl) in September or October. Is this a popular color and will 05's still be somewhat stocked at this time of year? Also, will the price possibly go down in the Fall due to new models being introduced. I
    am a first time new car buyer and am trying to get a good deal on the SE. Can anyone post prices they've recently paid for the SE.

Thanks,

Trish
  • dekoraidekorai Member Posts: 56
    Congrats on your first car purchase. I bought my first car purchase (a 2005 CR-V 4wd LX) a week back. I got a good deal on the price ($1080 below invoice, i.e. $18,685 before dest) but I made the mistake of telling the F&I manager what CapitalOne financed me at - 10.8%. I have 3 years credit history in the US so my credit score of 670 was kinda average I think. Perhaps I should have just let them check my credit and make me an offer but a slip of my tongue cost me some money. But as I see it, they offered me 3% lower that CapitalOne's 10.8% so I figure I had nothing to lose.
    They took $7500 on my credit card and I financed the balance $13,450 (OTD was $20,950) for 36 months. I plan to double my monthly payments to $850 and pay it off in 18 months. Will prepaying adversely affect my credit score? What are the chances of refinancing below 7.8% after paying on time for 6 months?

Anyway, lets enjoy the thrill of a first-time car purchase and learn from the experience of dealing in a dealership.
    Where did you find that AHFC offers GAP insurance for free? I couldn't find anything in my signed documents. It would be great to have it, even though Hondas do not depreciate as much.
    Thanks

When did you buy yours? I had a little leaflet that I had to sign acknowledging that I am aware that AHFC includes GAP protection when Financed though AHFC. I just bought one at the end of March, taking them on the 2.9% APR offer.
    The longer you wait the slimmer your choices will be. The pewter SE's are probably the most popular of the CRV's. If you wait intil September, there's a good chance you won't find one for ANY price.

Deals won't be any better than either. That's more of a perception.
    Thanks, I bought mine on 3/31/05, also to take advantage of the 2.9%, but I did not get any leaflet about the GAP insurance. I even asked the F&I guy if they offered it for a fee, and he said they did not. Is there a name of some sort in the document to identify it?

Oh well, that's not that important; what is, is that my V is in the shop, waiting for a 'solenoid' (whatever that is).
    Thanks,
    With a high rate in hand, you MIGHT have been better just to see what they would do.

Nope, pre-paying will not hurt your credit score at all - will not help either except you will have less debt showing and of course once you have it paid off then it is a big help.

Generally re-finance rates are higher than new car rates, but it would not hurt to check later to see if you could get a better rate. Of course, check anyone other than Capital One again and it will show on your credit report....

Dennis
  • debtabordebtabor Member Posts: 2
    I'm working the dealers now and the best price I have offered is $19,172. I'm seeing how much lower I can ge them to go, and using interest rate as a bargaining tool as well (I'd like to get it below 3.9% and with a high-700/low-800 score I should be able to). How does this sound?

I'm not adding any extras, no stainguard, no undercoat, nothing else, so this should be close to the final price, right? I can maybe add another $200 for state fees, I think...

You guys have been amazingly helpful, reading this forum for the last month while I decided to take the plunge (I'm currently driving a 1995 Kia Sephia with nearly 145K miles, so as you can see I stick with a car!).
    Well, that's dead invoice on that CRV. What more do you want?

2WD CRV's aren't very popular in the northwest so that'll help you if the dealer is sitting on a few of them.

Good Luck!
    how about $450 below invoice (that's what I got)? Or how about $1,000 below invoice like other poster?
    Thanks, I bought mine on 3/31/05, also to take advantage of the 2.9%, but I did not get any leaflet about the GAP insurance. I even asked the F&I guy if they offered it for a fee, and he said they did not. Is there a name of some sort in the document to identify it?

Oh well, that's not that important; what is, is that my V is in the shop, waiting for a 'solenoid' (whatever that is).
    Thanks,

Hey we bought our cars on the same day. That is funny. I will look through the papers to see what the document number is. If you financed through AHFC you should have it.
    Isellhondas do you have any input? Is it strictly regional offer? Is is for people who don't put any money down?
    What is 'dead invoice'? Does that include holdback, dealer to cash and perhaps other volume incentive (sell x units by month end, get $$)? Apparently, BMW currently has a $5000 factory to dealer incentive for moving Z3 and Z4. Does that mean dead invoice is printed invoice less holdback less $5000?
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    .. **Edit:
    Just read your previous post. You have FICO 745 and got taken on the 8% loan! Yes, your income is low, but I don't know what your bills are, still at 745 FICO you would have qualified for Honda finance no problem, and if you are a recent grad, you would have definately qualified.** ..

Fico scores don't guarantee anything, even a 745 ....

There's lots of folks that are working at Burdines with a Sears card and have a high Fico ... it's the credit history and the income that makes the difference .. also gap insurance is included on the leases, not the finance contracts ....

"They give dealer a $600 to $1000 check for each victim"

Capital.? ... really now .l.o.l...

Terry.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    There is holdback naturally, but no dealer cash or volume incentives on the CR-V..

BMW? Well.. for one, they haven't made the Z3 since 2002, so I doubt any of those incentives are still current...

The Z4 incentive varies according to model between $2500-$4500, but I'm not sure what that has to do with Hondas?

But, there is the double secret probation cash on the CR-V.. Don't forget about that...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kfranci2kfranci2 Member Posts: 31
    I know there was already a thread on this, but i have found 2 dealers who have the 5spd CRV EX i am looking for. I calculated a price of $19,440 by taking 3% of MSRP off of invoice. With new 2005s invoicing at $21,000, what price would you guys expect for a leftover '04? I am thinking i can pit the dealers against each other and try and drive them low, but don't know how low to expect. Did the dealers recieve any cash pmt when the 05s arrived for the leftover 04s they had?
  • debtabordebtabor Member Posts: 2
    how about $450 below invoice (that's what I got)? Or how about $1,000 below invoice like other poster?

I'm down to $100 under invoice now, but I'd sure like to get better. I thought that under invoice was doable as you show at $450! If you're in the northwest, where did you go?
    I would pass. It will be hard enough to sell a stick shift CR-V but the 05 has too many new features to separate it from the prior trucks that "surely" an 05 (even with a stick) will return more money. Since you can get an 05 for invoice or even less, you are not going to save much by getting an 04 and will miss out on a lot - and have a lot less value when you go to sell or trade.

From a message I posted last week:

The 2005 is a MUCH more desirable truck as well, and should be worth a good bit more down the road used. From the Edmund's description of the 2005:

What's New for 2005
    All models get redesigned headlamps and front fascias along with antilock brakes, stability control, side airbags for front passengers, head curtain airbags for front and rear occupants, strengthened B-pillars (for better side-impact crash protection) and minor interior styling refinements. A five-speed automatic transmission replaces last year's four-speed unit.

5 speed tranny VS 4 speed = huge difference is smoothness, extra air bags and stability control for safety, better side impact. Pretty much a no-brainer decision unless you could get the 04 for THOUSANDS less. Then I would only go for it if you just can't afford the 05.

I would find an 05 with stick, the dealer will be "inspired" to move it off the lot below invoice and you get a better truck.

Dennis
  • kfranci2kfranci2 Member Posts: 31
    The updates for '05 don't affect the EX model as much since it already came with ABS and side airbags ... correct me if i am wrong here. Head curtain airbags would be nice, the styling "improvements" are take it or leave it for me, and most importantly, no one in the twin cities even has an '05 EX 5-speed for us to look at. We're going to compare the 04 to 05 when we look, so i will know exactly the difference. I'm wondering, wouldn't the dealer have to offer significantly less than invoice on this truck since he has to get rid of it? I am thinking of offering him around $18K-$19K, which would be at least $2K less than an '05 and make up for the extra year of depreciation i'll take a hit for.
    Sorry for the typo re. Z3 - I meant Z4. I used the BMW as an example of any factory to dealer incentive.

What is this double secret probation for the CR-V?
    Unless the dealer got a "buy down" on the left over 04 then he could sell it for invoice - hold back (3% of MSRP). Since you should be able to get an 05 for under invoice a bit anyway, this would not mean a lot of savings to get an 04. I guess they could be willing to lose money on the 04, but if that were the case then they might have already sold it.

Dennis
  • bongo2363bongo2363 Member Posts: 7
    I kinda thought my choices would be slimmer if I waited. Will the 06's have an SE model. What I'm really looking for are leather seats, and this the only model with it available. How much more will 06's be (SE model) when they first come out and when do they begin selling them?

Thanks
  • tempallptempallp Member Posts: 1
    I got mine for 18900+dmv fees and no extras(fwd lx silver moss) from thomason honda.i got an internet quote from the manager there her name is cindy lee.it is very tough to get an lx fwd in oregon as they have very few on ground.with my fico score of 710 i was able to get only 6.5% apr through american honda.better than capital one.
    .. also gap insurance is included on the leases, not the finance contracts ....

"They give dealer a $600 to $1000 check for each victim"

Capital.? ... really now .l.o.l...

I will go through the papers tonight, to make sure I understood it right about the GAP insurance.

With the bank kickbacks, I meant the bank that financed the guy at 8% as opposed to have the guy just pay with his Capital one check. Capital would not give dealer any kickbacks, but the bank that the dealer arranged financing through at higher interest surely gives something back to the dealer.

I still think the guy bought a vehicle that is out of his price range. I know no dealer would ever say "No, you can not afford it," even the guys on welfare get Lexus's and Mercedes'. The kid barely makes $25K and got a $20K vehicle. WAY OUT OF HIS LEAGUE. This is allot, unless he lived at home with his parents and had no other debt, but mentioned that his fiancée helps him out or what not, meaning he does not live at home. I wouldn't be surprised that the car was financed on a 72 month note, and soon will become a thread in
    "I am upside down and can't get up" board
  • dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    I'd agree that waiting with Hondas in general isn't beneficial to the buyer. Honda just had it's biggest month in history in April while GM is trying to give cars away, so Honda doesn't have any reason to offer incentives on a solid seller like the CR-V.

I'd also add that colors are a regional thing. We picked up our gold SE this past Monday and we had to wait for it. Our choices were to wait two weeks or a month, so we chose to wait a month. They got an additional gold one when our's came in, and it was purchased before it ever hit the lot. They had a pewter one for a couple weeks, and before that they had another, but in general they haven't had many of them, they sell when they have them, and the gold ones seem to be especially hot items, at least around here.

On the other hand, they have many EXs on the lot, which seem to flow in pretty regularily, and they only keep one or two LXs on the lot at any given time. People around here seem to have no use for the LXs, and you can't find a manual one. Again, that's just in my part of the country.

PS - To the person wanting to buy an 04, I agree w/Dennis. You're not going to save much going the 04, and the added features are well worth it, IMO. The five speed automatic alone is worth it to me, as are the now standard features such as VSA and the side and curtain airbags.
  • neonostraneonostra Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Just joined few mins back. Already got lot of information on buying cars.
    Guys, I am thinking of buying HONDA CRV AWD LX 2005 at the end of June or Ist week of July. I want to know from the members, do the dealers offer any kind of deals on the occassion of Independence Day, July 4 . I am living in North West Suburbs(Arlington Hts,IL 60004) of Illinois.
    Can you advise me who are the best local dealers.

Thanks, I appreciate ur help

Neo
    .. also gap insurance is included on the leases, not the finance contracts ...

Looks like FREE GAP INSURANCE to me, and I financed at 2.9%, not leased. The sales guy told me that Honda is including it with finance contracts, when I quesitoned this before signing this piece of paper.
    I signed something similar when I bought my CRV last week and financed through American Honda. Its free GAP insurance, but the 'cost' of this insurance is included in the finance rate (the salesman told me so). Nothing in life is free!
    I am in the Phoenix area, don't know about the NW, good luck!
    Hmm, I wonder why I did not get this form.

Any ideas where I can get it? Even if I don't have it, I assume I am also covered. Maybe if I contact AHFC directly?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Wow... that is great.. I wonder if it is now standard on all AHFC loans?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator