Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dekoraidekorai Member Posts: 56
    Was wondering if the headlight glare is also reduced in the CRV EX (in addition to a dimming mirror) since they have tinted windows?

I have an LX and I wouldn't justify $500 on a mirror so that I don't have to flip the manual switch every evening I drive. That's my 2 cents but am sure many out here would disagree!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Yeah, tinter windows help, but not too much. Flipping the mirror is the best thing. I actually have it set up backwards. I have the "night" adjusted to see clear, and then when I swith it to "day" is throws glare back at the driver behind. I also carry a 1.5 million candlepower spot light. If someone is driving behind me with the high beams and does not dim them when the approach me, I just turn the light on and blind the heck out of them, like they are doing to me. I also high beam oncoming traffic when they fail to dim their high beams.

I am vindictive, but that is the only way to let them know that they are annoying. I bet you they think that if the blue light on the dash is not lit, the headlights are not lit.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The CR-V already has a temperature gauge in the gauge cluster, no reason to buy an auto diming mirror with temp. Compas is useless in those things."

I have to disagree there. I bought the Gentex auto dimming mirror with compass and temperature for my 2003. When I am out in the boonies, the compass is actually very useful if the sun is not out. I used it extensively when navigating back roads in the New Mexico desert last year.
    I have to disagree there. I bought the Gentex auto dimming mirror with compass and temperature for my 2003. When I am out in the boonies, the compass is actually very useful if the sun is not out. I used it extensively when navigating back roads in the New Mexico desert last year.

I have a Gentex from Bravada that I bought on ebay for $30. The compas only gives you N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW, hardly useful for any navigation.

If I need the true heading I have a radar detector with built in compass and a Delorme GPS plugged into a laptop. The Radar/Compas has to be calibrated once a year. It reports heading in degrees, which is more useful for navigation. Even right after calibration, the Magentic North is about 15° off the Geographical North reported by GPS. So you always have to decide what the cartographer had in mind.
  • barbecuesauce9barbecuesauce9 Member Posts: 67
    May I ask which dealer you had problems with engine light when you were ready to pick up?

May I ask which dealer you are making deal now?
    I am looking for SE and seems like none left.
  • undecisiveundecisive Member Posts: 4
    I live in souther Massachusetts. I called in several dealer shop and found only one shop which had CV-R's in stock. They had an EX (17 miles) and SE. I made a deal and signed several papers (which don't seem to be crucial, e.g. loan application, document prep fee sheet, odometer certification on the back of the title) and will visit there again tomorrow with a check for downpayment.

My husband is complaining that the car does not have a "new car smell" as it has been used as a demo car and the manager has been personally using it, which adds up to the mileage of 619 for a new car. Initially the sales woman said it has a mileage of 500 but it turned out that it was higher than that.

I asked for a discount based on this, and I also had a email printed out from another deal that offered 24,175. But they checked their computer and said there are no other dealers in the area that have the in stock, and did not want to negotiate. They gave me a discount of meager 100 bucks after several times of bugging but not below 24,600.

They even sneaked in 300 dollars on that price making it 24,900 in the final paper work, which I fortunately found out and asked for a correction.

Now, is it possible that I cancel this deal since I did not pay anything yet?

But then again, is it better to stay with this deal as I really want the car as soon as possible (sick of rental car for almost a month) or should I deposit at the other dealer shop and wait for their shipping to arrive (dunno when, they always say couple of days).

What are your opinions? Thanks! :sick:
    "I have a Gentex from Bravada that I bought on ebay for $30. The compas only gives you N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW, hardly useful for any navigation."

Well, I was on roads that pretty much wound around, and when I needed to know which way to turn, the compass was useful. Of course you couldn't strike out cross country with it. I also had a GPS, but I still found the compass useful.
    I would check state attorney general for the mileage limit that can be sold as new car.
    I am in NY and looking for SE. Not many left or asking too much for it now.
    Last month I got quote for 23350 and now it is about 23800 - 24200.
    If I were you, I would not take that car, First of all it is a demo and used for test drive or manager's car allowance.
    Second of all, price appears to be so high.
    There is one dealer who has last pewter pearl for 24800 which we could not agree on the price.

For financing, I got preapproved at honda financial services and got a great APR from capital one finance. If you get financed through the dealer, you might have to pay bank fee. Why don't you try applying from direct lender? capital one even beat any interest rate offered that is lower than its rate.(except any manufacture's special rate program) This way at least you can compare.

If I were you, I'd rather go shopping someplace else-little further than the current proximity OR wait for 2006. Why pay so much money and can't even enjoy new car smell?? I wouldn't.
    For that price you can get a 2006 in a month or two.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I agree with the others.... partially..

The price is too high.. There are prices reported for brand-new '05s on this board, that are lower than that demo model...

Have you taken delivery of the car? As long as the car is still at the dealer, and you haven't paid anything, you don't even have a deal yet... Just say no.. I think at that point, they may lower their price, but if your husband doesn't like the car, I wouldn't take it, at any price...

Complaining to the government? Not unless you need a hobby..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Any idea when the dealers have 2006 CR-V in stock?
    One guy says the end of oct and others say end of sep or the beginning of oct.
  • me3me3 Member Posts: 30
    They are asking too much. I got my Pewter SE for $23,635 (Including destination and front splash guards). Mine had only 35 miles on it... flawless, no PTTR, AND the new car smell. :) For that price I'd wait for the 06s!
  • jmcmoorejmcmoore Member Posts: 11
    The Internet Mgr @ David Michael Honda in Freehold NJ has faxed me an order for a 2005 CRV SE:
    Base 23,329.00
    Dest 550.00
    Doc Fee 138.50
    (plus CT tax & registration)

Maybe this is dumb, but in my last email I said "OK, assuming your doc fee is for the paperwork/effort to pay CT state taxes, DMV fees & obtain CT plates, I'm ok with the doc fee". Now he emails me the following statement: "I am faxing over the retail order for the car with you taking care of the tax and MV fees in CT, when you register it. We will provide what is called an MSO and the out of state temporary, so you can get it home and register it." AND the order has the same DOC fee 138 -- no reduction!! I feel like he's purposely trying to piss me off. :mad:

I would think that a dealer in NJ would normally arrange to pay CT (or any out of state) sales tax, register it and get plates. ALSO, I had agreed to wait on a monthend Sept delivery of 2005 CRV SEs AND I'd agreed that I understood he'd have to swap out with another dealer to get black or tan.

Would you all take a deep breath and move ahead with the purchase anyway? Or walk? This is a 100 mile drive for me. Going to the DMV is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. But it seems like no one in CT has 2005 SEs or at least not at this price.

Fair Honda in Danbury is no longer giving quotes on 2005 SEs; only 2006 SEs -- for which they're asking an add'l 1400 or so $$$... White Plains Honda (closer to me) has a price equal to David Michael but they're response has been SLOOOOOW; I still don't know if they have an 2005 SEs or will be receiving any... plus they've gotten dismal reviews in this forum...
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Just consider the doc fee as part of the price and decide if you are willing to pay that price. If it is still better than you can get in CT, go buy the car. 100 miles isn't that far. I'm not sure if the dealer CAN register the vehicle in another state for you, some states require a visual confirmation of the VIN before they will register the vehicle that has been brought in from another state.

I was in the service for 20+ years and bought many vehicles out of state and registered them myself in various states. All you will need is the bill of sale, the certificate of origin, and the mileage statement. You will pay the CT sales tax and registration fees when you register the car, which will be a fairly large check to write. You may have to pay for a temp tag in NJ to get the car back to CT, which the NJ dealer should certainly be able to do for you within that 138 doc fee.

Good luck on your purchase.
    Don't forget the CT state mandated "Recording fee" of $175. So, if you register the vehicle your self, do you still have to pay that on top of the 6% sales tax and 2 year licence plate fee (unless you are just tranferring exisitng plates)

Have you tried Fair Honda in Dabury?
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    I am looking for a dealer in Northern Virginia or Maryland who can give me a very competitive price on 2006 LX.

If you have bought a new CR-V recently in this area, please let me know your experience. Thanks!
  • smalbanysmalbany Member Posts: 15
    I had a great experience with Criswell Honda in Germantown, MD. The pricing was the best and they were the easiest to deal with.
  • bshorbshor Member Posts: 8
    Hello. Still looking for that 05 EX. Two dealers have told me that they don't have anything in stock, but can get the car through a dealer trade. Then they ask for a "refundable deposit" to execute the trade and allow me to take a look at the car. Is this legitimate?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Most dealers want a deposit, before they trade for a car from another dealer.. There is expense involved in that, and they want to make sure you are committed to the deal, and not just a "window-shopper".

I'd make sure to have them commit to a price, before doing this, though...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• hondavethondavet Member Posts: 5
    WOW - an SE for $23.6? What part of the country? I am looking hard here in the Boston area and 1 - the 05's all seem to be gone and 2 - what you can find is basically at sticker - "best quotes" are in the $25.4- $25.5 range. The dealers have the leverage in this situation and they seem to know it. I have just about decided to buy an '05 EX (not much more leverage there, but about $2k cheaper) and add the heated seats.
  • hondavethondavet Member Posts: 5
    Do you mind if I ask which dealer? This seems like a great deal for an '06 CRV EX.
  • me3me3 Member Posts: 30
    Portland, Oregon - Thomason Honda
    I got quote 2005 SE 23900 and 2006 SE 24500
    They said they will honor the quote and will locate 05 which I don't like.
    One said 06 will be in the lot on the end of sep and other said not until the end of oct.
    I don't know who is telling me the truth.
    I think I call honda america and ask later.
  • roger10roger10 Member Posts: 2
    What is HandA? Can I buy wheel locks from them for $30?

thanks
    Roger

thanks
    Roger

Look up, the link is right on top of this page. HARD TO MISS.

HandA stands for Honda and Acura Accessories dot com.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    LOL, actually it's been replaced for the moment by an ad for our upcoming chat event. http://www.handaaccessories.com

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• allynkcallynkc Member Posts: 5
    I was at a local dealership (Seattle area) this morning to give a lift to someone dropping off their car for service. The dealership had two or three '06 CR-V's on the lot now, one was a black SE.
  • allynkcallynkc Member Posts: 5

HandA is the on-line branch of a dealership (I think based in California). Yes, you can buy wheel locks from them for $30 - I bought those and a few other items for my CR-V.
    The wheel locks are easy to install yourself. Depending on what else you get, be sure to check the 'install instructions' that they provide on their site. If they say that the instructions are for a skilled technician and not a do-it-yourselfer, take them seriously and find a trusted local technician to install (still cheaper than buying from the dealer and having them install it).
  • glenn_auerbachglenn_auerbach Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 CR-V Special Edition with 4700 miles on it. White color with wood grain trim inside plus front splash guards. I likely will sell it privately and trying to understand what a fair price to ask would be. I am in southeast Michigan (near the Univ of Michigan) and really can't find ANY used CR-V SE's anywhere. My only benchmark is new cars and Kelly Blue Book (which I find somewhat arbitrary). Any advice? Most of the discussion here is on new car pricing. I think I paid between $25000-26000 in May for this car. Other than not liking an SUV ride (I'm likely replacing it with a Civic Sedan or Accord Sedan) as much as I expected to, it's in perfect condition.
    "My only benchmark is new cars and Kelly Blue Book (which I find somewhat arbitrary). Any advice? Most of the discussion here is on new car pricing. I think I paid between $25000-26000 in May for this car."

Your car is too new for KBB to price. Unfortunately, you lost at least $2000 in value when you drove it off the lot. I would expect it to sell for around $23000-24000. But it really depends on the market. Did you ask the dealer if they could help you out?
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    Excuse me , but you gotta be VERY, VERY STUPID not to read at least the price you're paying compared to what has been agreed verbally.
    Such persons should be send back to preschool.
  • glenn_auerbachglenn_auerbach Member Posts: 2
    > "My only benchmark is new cars and Kelly Blue Book (which I find
    > somewhat arbitrary). Any advice? Most of the discussion here is on
    > new car pricing. I think I paid between $25000-26000 in May for this car."

> Your car is too new for KBB to price.

Actually, KBB.com lists $21625 as a trade-in value and $24400 as a private party value. The original dealer offered a trade-in value of $19000, and a different Honda dealer that I visited to drive a Civic & Accord offered $20000. Given that the dealers are clearing out 2005s to make room for 2006s, I think $24400 is pretty optimistic.

I like NADAguides.com (I've found more dealers using them than KBB) but they don't list 2005 models.

> Unfortunately, you lost at least
    > $2000 in value when you drove it off the lot. I would expect it to sell for
    > around $23000-24000. But it really depends on the market. Did you ask
    > the dealer if they could help you out?

Yup, I'm aware of that unfortunate fact. Still, I'd rather deal with it now rather than 3-5 years from now when I've lost $10000 in value and spent years driving a car that I'm not really enjoying. I'd be happy with $23000-24000 but don't want to overprice it and have it sit for 3 months trying to find a buyer.

Thanks for the opinion - much appreciated! Any other thoughts from anyone else?

Glenn
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... **Actually, KBB.com lists $21625 as a trade-in value and $24400 as a private party value. The original dealer offered a trade-in value of $19000, and a different Honda dealer that I visited to drive a Civic & Accord offered $20000. Given that the dealers are clearing out 2005s to make room for 2006s, I think $24400 is pretty optimistic.
    I like NADAguides.com (I've found more dealers using them than KBB) but they don't list 2005 models. .... **

I guess the question is: "why would you sell it ..?" .... of all of the SUV's out there, the CRV's have some of the highest resale value's on the market and still see some crazy $$ .... you know they're crazy when clean 00 SE's with 40/50k still see the $12's at the auctions ..l.o.l.....

That said, if you just don't like the vehicle ... then you're going to see in and around the $20ish figure at trade time ...... as far as Nada, it's used as a retail *asking* figure only, dealers don't use it for wholesale value's, especially in your area ..... if ya send it down Retail Rd, then $22,900 *asking* and kick it loose for the first $21,900/$22,500 .... the low miles, the SE package and the prices on the 06's will send this one off in a big hurry ...............

Terry. ;)
  • markmark Member Posts: 16
    Hi all

Just got some pricing on an 06 CR-V here in CT

SE (3 week delivery) $24,500 (incl freight) +198 Conv + TTR

XE Auto awd (in stock) $23,192 (incl freight) +198 conv + TTR

What do you folks think?

Doc
    Looks good to me except conv. fee.
    Can I ask which dealer in CT?
    thanks
  • markmark Member Posts: 16
    OK so we went to Torrington Honda (NW CT) and tried to buy the aforementioned CR-V SE for the $24,500 +198 convy. and TTR as quoted several times by the salesman (I knew the guy when he worked at RadioShack,hhehehe). Took him nearly an hour, wrote up the buyers order, took a $500 deposit. When it came to signing the B.O. we find, + $195 VIN etching (didn't want that) + $140 wheel locks (didn't think those were additional and certainly not $140 !!!). We say no etching, no wheel locks. He comes back with OK $70 for wheel locks, we go Bye Bye! Give us the deposit back NOW! And get this...he does! and loses the sale.

De Doc :P :P :P :sick:
    Try Fair Honda in Danbury. I know it is hike, but I and other people had very good exprience with them. Go through their website (find it on Honda.com, look for a dealer in Danbury, CT) this way you deal with the internet department.

Conv fee is collected by the state for the paperwork storage, or something like that.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter with a major daily newspaper is looking to speak with people who’ve purchased a crossover/sports wagon in the last few months. Specifically, vehicles like the Saturn Vue, Chevy Equinox, Ford Freestyle, Ford Escape, Honda CRV, Nissan Murano, or Toyota Highlander.

If you have, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, September 27, 2005 with your daytime contact information and a brief description of your recent crossover/sport wagon purchase experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jmcmoorejmcmoore Member Posts: 11
    If you're shopping for best price, I wouldn't recommend Honda of Danbury (formerly Danbury Fair Honda) - right now.

On 9/9, Danbury said they couldn't get anymore 2005 SEs (had previously quoted me 23484 base + 515 dest + 179 doc + Tax/DMV)

For a 2006 SE, the Danbury Internet Mgr quoted 24764 base + 550 dest + 179 doc fee, etc. Riiiight -- I'm really gonna pay that much more for a 2006 (when Honda only increased the MSRP $200)

David Michael Honda in Freehold NJ, just offered me a 2006 SE 23699 + 550 dest + 138.50 doc -- which I've passed on for now. He said it's onsite and can deliver by month end Sept. Unless he can include fog lights, running boards, or some other pack of accessories at that price, I'm planning on sticking with the 2005, which he says he should have next week.

David Michael's black 2005 SE quote is 23329 + dest + doc (same as above)... we'll see if it really happens... it's been a month already...

I've already started researching Civic Hybrids (50 mpg!). If this deal falls thru, I may take it as a 'sign from above' that the CRV & ME were not meant to be... ;-)
    I decided to buy 2006 SE. It is about 300-700 more but I think it is better.
    All dealers in tri-state love to get rid of what's left over. One dealer emailed me they are selling $1000 less than invoice and the other said they will be open til midnight on wed.

Most dealer in NYC and Long island want the sticker price or $500 off from the sticker for 06 SE. I think there will be no hugh sale til nov at least.

I am waiting for delivery of 06 SE and the dealer does not have VIN yet. I told him it has to start with J. As long as it is made in Japan, I will take it.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    I'm looking for an EX w/stick in either Sahara Sand or Red Pearl. My local Honda dealer, Huntington Honda on Long Island, doesn't have any sticks in stock but can get one (an '05) in red from an affiliated store in upstate Brewster.

I offered invoice - $680 holdback + $500, which works out to approximately $21,300. Not surprisingly, the sales manager rejected this, saying that he didn't see why he should share holdback with me, given that the CR-V is hot right now. I pointed out that (1) we're talking about a stick, which isn't too popular in the NY metro area & (2) I'm proposing a fast, clean cash transaction with no trade to muddy the waters.

My reasoning didn't convince him & so we parted company.
    .. **I'm proposing a fast, clean cash transaction with no trade to muddy the waters.
    My reasoning didn't convince him & so we parted company**

So basically your asking the dealer to chase after a vehicle he doesn't have in stock, and then lose money on the deal ..... that's some reasoning ..l.o.l...

Terry.
    If you take a delivery by friday from dealer's stock, you will find a hugh discount.

Why don't you go and call other dealers than your local dealer?
    If you are willing to travel and can take a delivery by friday, go to hondacars.com and locate all dealers near you and call them and make a deal!

If you are lazy or time is money for you, try carsdirect.com. Looks like they want $500 more than what you are willing to pay but they do locate the car within 24 hours.

Make sure you get quote for 2006 also. I was getting quote for 05 and 06 and decided to get 06.
    But he did have the car in stock at his upstate store. (This organization owns 3 stores: 1 in my town, 1 upstate & 1 in NJ.)

I'm not altogether surprised that he shot down my offer - in his place, I might have done the same thing - but I'm mildly surprised that he didn't counter.
    I don't know what the supply situation is in your neck of the woods, but I live in 1 of the most stick-shift-unfriendly areas in the country. Thanks to heavy traffic & cell phones, no one here wants 'em or drives 'em, so dealers, understandably, don't stock 'em. The last time I succeeded in finding the car that I wanted on a dealer's lot was in 1987. Since then, I've had to special-order my cars to get what I want.

I've checked & can tell you that none of the dealers on LI have a stick-equipped CR-V in stock. Everyone tells me the same thing: Give us a deposit & we'll order what you want.

Since I keep cars for a minimum of 8 years & thus don't have to worry about depreciation, I don't much care whether I buy an '05 or an '06 CR-V.
    I am in Long Island too. The dealers in the city and NJ are much cheaper than the dealers in LI.

Just have a feeling that the dealer's attitude in LI is "take it or leave it"

If you are done searching in LI and willing to travel up to 100 mile which I did, take my advice up there.

If you want someone else to locate the vehicle within 24 hours near you, try carsdirect.com
    Thanks for the advice. I may try my luck in NJ, since I work there.
  • zakimanzakiman Member Posts: 71
    Not sure if this is the right forum to post this question, but thought I try here first. I am looking to buy an 05 mini SUV in the next 1 to 2 months ( before the end of 2005) and was wondering when is the best time to get a good deal and before it is too late. I am comparing the CR-V. Rav-4 and Tribute, Escape so as far as safety and gas mileage, which one of these 3 stands out ? I am not looking for all the bells and whistels but only safety and gas mlg ( live in DC area) and maybe a little bit of room. THX!
    .. **But he did have the car in stock at his upstate store** ...

Ya kinda answered your own question .... same owner, but different locations = no profit for the dealer .....

1.) they have to swap the inventory and the floorplan ..
    2.) then they have to dealer trade "if" they can ..
    3.) and one of the stores will probably lose the holdback ..

it's not worth their time or effort ........ that said, cut out the middleman and go direct to the dealer that has the vehicle.

Terry ;)
    Looks like carsdirect.com just listed 2006 invoice price. Edmunds does not list invoice price yet. Please note the destination is included.

2006 FWD LX MSRP 20945 Invoice 19397
    2006 AWD LX MSRP 22145 Invoice 20504
    2006 AWD EX MSRP 23400 Invoice 21661
    2006 AWD SE MSRP 26000 Invoice 24060

Anyone bought 06 yet??