Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• llb8234llb8234 Member Posts: 4
    Didn't see your post until after I went to the same dealership yesterday. Compared to other posts, seems like I could get a better deal. They didn't offer anything off the sticker - $22145 LX AWD, $24300 EX, $26K SE. They have 0% interest this weekend that helps some but not if the purchase price is high. You said you didn't haggle much so any other suggestions than getting a competing quote?
  • kamp1kamp1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I made the mistake of buying a fully loaded 2005 CRV some 6 months back. It starts in the cold Canada climate like an old worn out car. The gas mileage is 18-20 mpg. The front end has made a mysterious growl. It is so slow that I feel like everyone is chasing us on the freeway. It pulls to the right and on and on. The car has no interior lights to speak of for night driving and the guages barely light up enough to see anything in the car at night. The lights are poor so we replaced the bulbs with aftermarket bulbs.
    The engine fan runs all the time even in sub zero weather. But it's a Honda so I guess everything is just perfect! My wife went crazy and had it loaded with GST it was around $35K Canadian. Way tooo much for this type of car. It reminds me of the old Hondas I drove in College. They have not really changed that much except the price.
  • tamarastertamaraster Member Posts: 107
    Wow. I just love my CR-V. I'm sorry that you hate yours. I made a mistake with my last car (VW Passat) and it sucks. More thorough test driving before purchase can help.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Intermittent wipers are trash - only one intermittent speed - somebody should tell the rain to only come down at one rate.

Same complaint for years, people on "the other board" are adapting Acura's intermittent switches to CR-V.

window sill is very hard (sore elbow on long trips) but maybe with my side air-bags I shouldn't be leaning on it anyhoo.

That is what the PADDED armrest on the door is for. Window sill is not for leaning on.

Last night tried hitting scan and reprogrammed all my presets instead. I thought Honda had user engineers to prevent this type of user-interface mess.

They did, Read the OWNER's MANUAL!!! (hit it again to set it back)

I'm 6'1" and have 230 lbs on my medium frame

Ha ha ha, I am 6' and 190 lbs and considered overwieght...

Turn signal/brights and wiper/washer controls on steeering column get in the way of my fingers on the steering wheel frequently (at least this engineering compromise I can understand).

Drive with your fingers wrapped around the steering wheel, as if you were making fists, lol.

(I like to stretch my legs on long distance cross country jaunts)

Seat travel is limited, no stretching for me.

I may be putting some weight in the back this winter for better traction in the NE Ohio snow.

It is primarily FWD, how would the weight in the back help?
    My wife and I made the mistake of buying a fully loaded 2005 CRV some 6 months back. It starts in the cold Canada climate like an old worn out car. The gas mileage is 18-20 mpg. The front end has made a mysterious growl. It is so slow that I feel like everyone is chasing us on the freeway. It pulls to the right and on and on. The car has no interior lights to speak of for night driving and the guages barely light up enough to see anything in the car at night. The lights are poor so we replaced the bulbs with aftermarket bulbs.
    The engine fan runs all the time even in sub zero weather. But it's a Honda so I guess everything is just perfect! My wife went crazy and had it loaded with GST it was around $35K Canadian. Way tooo much for this type of car. It reminds me of the old Hondas I drove in College. They have not really changed that much except the price.

The car is no slouch, if one knows how to reap the benefits of a VTEC engine (e.g. rev it like there is no tomorrow). And no, revving a Honda engine to the redline, will not hurt it.

Are you sure it is the engine cooling fan running, not the A/c fan runing because the HVAC setting is in the Defog mode? OWNER's MANUAL explains that A/C will come on when Defog is selected. Perhaps someone needs to read the OWNER's MANUAL?

As far as interior lighting, why would you want the inside of the car lit up when driving at night? Your main job when driving at night is to see out, so, you want to minimize the interior lighting. I turn my gauges all the way down, so that my eyes can concentrate on seeing the outside better. Sounds like someone likes to light up the inside of the car to see better outside. It is very similar to me asking my dad when I was a kid if I put light bulbs inside the telecsope would it make a night visions telescope. Silly idea from a 6 year old kid.

By the way, there are two map lights in the overhead console, and the interior light in the middle, as well as another light in the cargo bay. Sounds like more than enough lighting for people with normal vision.

Sounds like it is time to see the ophtalmologist again. :-)
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Nice story. Enjoy your 'V.

Keep in mind that many dealerships have good prices. Here you can get the '06 EX AT for $21400 which is quite a bit under invoice. And I think we are closer than Wisconsin ;)
  • dapaperboydapaperboy Member Posts: 10
    So we closed the deal on a 2006 Honda CRV EX (auto) in the silver moss last night. We thought the SE was still a little overpriced at 26000 MSRP (24900), leather seats or no leather seats. MSRP on the EX was 24,300. I had an internet offer for 22,200 plus another 400 at one dealer, with cleanups and paint protection (a 600 buck value!!! as they said).

Another dealer said they'd match the 21,800 quote, add mudguards. I still think we shoulda gotten more add-ons, particularly the stripe my wife loved so much (me not so much). Was hoping for the fog lights ($537) or rear sensors ($700+) too much? We didn't get them, but I still wonder if I should add them on.

Tried to get an even lower apr than the 4.9. When I bought my first car (a pontiac), I got a 2.9 at 60.

I can't help but feel I coulda gotten more.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    Don’t mean to disappoint you…but this price was offered to me 2 month ago, for a similar basic CRV.
    As of today, like it or not, after one week of using it, your car is already one year old…...and as of today too, its price is in the 17-teen thous…

Dan
  • hondagal3hondagal3 Member Posts: 8
    Any recent experiences in this area?
    Horrid experience in 1998 with Mt Vernon Honda (now Browns') and ended up with Hendrick in Woodbridge, not that far from Alexandria.
    Considering CRV EX Auto loaded, but no NAV or XM (I prefer Sirrius). :)
  • ramidaramida Member Posts: 67
    "As of today, like it or not, after one week of using it, your car is already one year old…..."

This is a 2006 model, not a 2005. Although already considered a "used" car, I think this 2006 model is considered "new" at this point in time-- strictly not a one-year old. In July-September, this 2006 model will be considered a one-year old.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

ramida
  • prash1prash1 Member Posts: 32
    I am considering buying CRV LX AWD. What is a good price to bargain in Philadelphia area ?
    HI LAOCOON/RAMIDA.
    I apologize, indeed you are CORECT!
    For some reason I though your post was referring to a CRV 2005.
    Furthermore, considering that back in Nov, I got the same price on a 2005, your deal/price for the 2006 is even better.
    Congrats and enjoy your purchase!
    Dan
    Considering CRV EX Auto loaded, but no NAV or XM (I prefer Sirrius).

Didn't know Honda offered NAV in 2006 :-). Someone needs to do more research before making a desision to buy. :-)
  • mrobotomroboto Member Posts: 1
    Went to the trouble of registering so I could post a data point -- thanks to all others who do so.

Bought in Minneapolis, MN (Luther Brookdale)
    - 2006 LX AWD CR-V (red)
    - $20,100 (inc. dest, not tax/title)
    - Invoice is $19,954, MSRP is $21,595
    - They paid Kelly Blue Book for our trade
    - Buying experience good in general

We probably could have done a bit better if we'd paid attention in advance (paid $150 over invoice) -- but fell OK about it.
    are you more affected by paying $ 150 over invoice, than paying $1200-1500 for taxes, title and plates on top of the selling price???
    C'mon guys....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    mroboto

Congratulations on the new car!! Check out our other Honda CR-V forums... You can learn a lot about your new car that way..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• smalbanysmalbany Member Posts: 15
    I purchased my CRV EX in September from Criswell in Germantown, MD. They gave me the best price without beating me down and were very easy to do business with. Others have written that Jim Coleman in Columbia/Clarksville gave them a good deal. Good luck!
  • cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    hi, looking for 06 crv ex with auto in the atlanta area. i've contacted a few dealers and their initial quotes are in the invoice plus $200-500 range after getting through b.s. options packages and $500 doc fees...anyway, does anyone here have recommendations on dealers close to emory?

likely i'll go back to all the dealers at invoice minus $200 and see if i can get anyone to bite...

thanks!
  • ironweedironweed Member Posts: 13
    Yup, that sounds like your typical Canadian model CRV!!!
  • ningning Member Posts: 2
    Thought this might help you. I bought the 2006 LX Front Wheel Drive with wheel locks and mud guards (front and back, I'd like to sell the back ones to anyone interested. :P ; kidding) for $19,535 out of the door in December 2005. The dealer’s quote is $18,400 including the destination, he added another $75 for the above two options. This deal was locked in Northwest Honda in Owings Mills, Maryland. I had a very pleasant time with them.
    Based on my experience, internet quoting can only offer you contact information of the dealers in your vicinity. Room is very limited when negotiating through emails. Try to call as many dealers as you can find, you may find a nice quote from some dealers far from where you live and use it as a starting price to negotiate with those who are nearby. You can also check the famous website: http://www.carbuyingtips.com.
    Wish you good luck!
    i've been negotiating with a group of dealers in the hotlanta area and in all cases they are adding a 'doc fee' between $400-600. whatever this is (i think local marketing?) it means that getting sub-invoice isn't happening and i'm curious if this fee is standard in the area or if there's a way through it. personally it seems to be a way of showing a good price and then just throwing in the 'doc fee' at the end when you are already just about done. not impressed with the dealers i've spoken to so far.
  • malayalimalayali Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a CRV SE. Wondering what a fair price would be in the Boston area. Any information/experiences welcome.

thanks..
  • nihondanihonda Member Posts: 1
    Well
    Both My borhter and I each bought a 2006 CR-V SE right on 12/31st of 2005, the final price is 26K per car including license,tax and title.
    Not sure if this would help.
    By the way, we bought them at Classic Honda in Austin,TX.
    Good luck.
  • cgphil1cgphil1 Member Posts: 29
    I bought my 06 CRV SE on 12/27/05 at Clair Honda on the VFW Parkway in Boston. I paid Invoice, $23,510 + 550 delivery = $24,060. Add $200 for title prep, documentation, etc. I used BJs auto discount program but you may be able to do much better. I did not have a trade-in. My '03 CRV EX was totaled recently so I was replacing it.

Good luck.
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    The way to handle that, in my opinion, is to offer them a bottom line price inclusive of everything except, tag, title and license (which they can't control).

If I am going to offer 22K for the car, I offer them 22K, bottom line. I don't care if they call it 21.5 plus .5 in fees, or 1K price and 21K in fees, I will pay them 22K. If you can't come to terms with them on a bottom line price, just go somewhere else.

Good luck.

TB
    i think the car's getting picked up this weekend, couldn't get below invoice.

i must say the group of dealers i was communicating with was almost universally scummy and almost impossible to deal with, either via email or by phone. i would stay away from the lot of them myself....what a bunch of jerks! i think the car's being purchased at carey paul who was about the only other reasonable dealer to speak to.

happy to list the bad boys if it's of interest here, otherwise i'll just say it should be a LOT easier than it is.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well, when you try to buy a high demand car for below invoice you might get a "jerky" reaction.

It sounds like YOU made it a difficult deal!

Do enjoy your new CRV!
  • vandeebgroupvandeebgroup Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate everyone's info that I used while researching my first new car purchase that I completed this morning, so here's mine:

2006 CR-V EX 4WD Automatic, Sahara Sand color
    Paid $600 *below* invoice, out-the-door price, no other fees or charges. Paid cash in full, although I didn't disclose this until I had a price in writing. No trade-in.

This was at Honda Cars of Bellevue, Nebraska. Good and bad parts of the experience.

GOOD: After he made his final offer, the salesman let me call another dealership that had given me another internet quote to see if they would give me a lower price..using the phone on his desk!! Other dealer told me that price was unbeatable and I should take it.

BAD: A bit shady when salesman kept trying to get me to sign sheets of looseleaf paper on which he had written the prices we were discussing, "to show his sales manager I'm serious." Also, he wanted me to sign off on the purchase contract before it was completely filled out. He wrote the agreed price on the left side that is just empty space, but the fields for total price of vehicle, etc, were still blank. Third, when we were in the finance offfice to sign the contract and write the check.... The finance person somehow mysteriously entered FULL MSRP price into the contract instead of my agreed price. Oh, whoops, how did that happen? Funny...when I read carbuyingtips.com, I thought that guy was paranoid. Not at all.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
  • vhn2000vhn2000 Member Posts: 2
    Honda CRV LX 2WD Price

I offered the salesman 19800 for DRIVE OUT. Is this too low? I only deal with DRIVEOUT price. I've heard so many stories about the salesman tried to increase the final price by adjusting TTL.

Thanks in advance.
    Well, was that offer accepted?

If not, I guess it was too low.

And, yes, it was WAY too low.

We have no control over tax and license fees. We only collect those fees and send them to the state.

Pretty hard to "adjust" tax and license fees. They are what they are.

I have heard of the trick of adding destination charges at the last minute.
    Every article etc. related to car buying I've read says that you should not deal in OTD (or DRIVE OUT as you refer to it) pricing. But since you always deal with it, shouldn't you know if the price you offered was too low? Then again, what is too low? Without knowing what the tax rate is for your area I don't think anyone can answer your question.
  • blueboyjocksblueboyjocks Member Posts: 36
    I'm not sure if $19,800 is too low for drive out price. But if you look on edmunds for 2006 CRV LX 2WD, MSRP is $20,945 / INVOICE $19,397 / TMV for my area $20,339 (These are for Car and Destination only).

I got 2006 CRV LX 2WD in December with over $2,000 below the sticker price above (MSRP) ;) . I will share my buying experience soon. It is a good idea to deal before TTL, I did.

Let us know, how it goes. :shades:
    I'm not at work so I can't look up the numbers, but, assuming you are correct.

19,397 - Invoice?
    950 - Sales tax...assuming about 5.5 %
    150 - License more or less

Granted, 2WD CRV's aren't very popular but why in the world would you expect a dealer to lose money selling one?

These aren't distressed merchandise!
    Plenty of Honda dealers sell vehicles below invoice. Not every one of course. Maybe not even a small percent of total sales, but it happens (just read the boards here). As you know, they still make a profit.
    Don't believe everything you read on internet boards.

Anything is possible. A dealer could give one away if they wanted to.

They may have sold the car below invoice but underallowed on the trade in? Who knows?
    Because sometimes Honda gives you guys a "dealer incentive" Some, more honest dealers pass it on to the consumers, the greedy ones are stuck with a lot full of new cars.

I bought mine for a $1000 under invoice, but I knew there was a $1500 dealer incentive from Honda in the last week of March of 2005. So, everything is possible. There may have been a regional incentive to get rid of the 2WD CR-V's where he lives.
    I sure don't remember any incentive money on CRV's Ever.

This has nothing to do with "greed". It's the dealer's money, not yours. If they feel they need to use part of it to make a sale they can do so. If they are not competitive with the local market, then you're right. They won't sell many cars.
    If this is regards to my post #2879, I knew then that this gonna be a polemic, that's why I didn't post exactly how much I got. I don't want a polemic, so for you who don't believe it, so don't. And for you who can take my message as counter check or comparison to buy the V, I wish you all good luck. Before I got the deal, a friend told me that I may get only about $500 below MSRP (see edmunds for MSRP price) and he really surprised when I showed him the paper. I will spend sometime this weekend to share my buying experience for y'all. In short, I can say I don't get this deal for granted. It through a long process, I did my research about a year and a half from what car that fit with my lifestyle until how much I should get it. I'll tell you more detail soon.

Enjoy your weekend! :)
    Guess I'll have to look that one up.

I stand corrected. In December, there WAS a 500.00 incentive money on CRVS. I guess a dealer does what it takes to move a 2WD CRV on a slow day.

Glad it worked out!

A year and a half...? Whew!
  • gmoney2gmoney2 Member Posts: 31
    isellhondas,

It seems like you have a lot of experience selling Hondas. In your opinion, what is a reasonable mileage on a new car. It seems most cars will have less than 50 miles on them, but I've seen a few with 200 or more miles selling for "new". I've even heard stories about a car having 400-500 miles on it and being sold as new. These cars aren't the demos either (at least the dealer isn't claiming it to be). Is this common? What is the average range of miles on a new car? Would you not buy a new car that had over a couple hundred miles on it? What is the maximum miles on a new car that should be considered reasonable? Thanks.
  • mafernamaferna Member Posts: 83
    "Well, when you try to buy a high demand car for below invoice you might get a "jerky" reaction."

"Don't believe everything you read on internet boards."

Here we go again...

I bought mine in March 2005 for $150 below invoice without a jerky reaction. Actually, the price quoted was $450 below invoice, but after the $300 "doc fee", the real price I paid was $150 below invoice. Other posters have done even better than that. I have proof of the price I paid if needed.

To future buyers: CR-Vs CAN be had below invoice; don't be misled.
  • me3me3 Member Posts: 30
    $403 under invoice, July '05
  • jacobstajacobsta Member Posts: 1
    Bought my CRV on Jan 18, 2006. I was prepared to pay nearly the edmunds TMV for the 2WD LX model (2006- don't think anybody had any 2005s left), but I submitted internet quotes to the three closest dealers through hondacars.com, and two out of three of the dealer's quotes were less than invoice - one at 18997 + $55 doc fee (Brian Bemis, Dekalb, IL), the other at 19147 including doc fee (Napleton, Loves Park). The third dealer (Honda of Ottawa, IL) was a suprising $1000 over the lowest at 19997, although they did offer 4.7% financing.

I ended up buying from the first dealer, as they were closest, and were willing to give me the Edmunds TMV for my trade in (Dealer trade in price, on that sheet). The out-the-door price for the CRV was a little under $20,000 with TTL.
    Well folks, I woke up Sunday morning and spent some time to tell my buying experience in good detail, but unfortunately edmunds unable to upload my message. I don't know if I can type it all over again. But if you are in the market to buy a car, I can tell you to do your homework, do some research until you're sure what car you need (not what car you want). For V you may get it below invoice (depends on your negotiation skill), I got mine for over $500 below invoice + $50 doc. fee even I had to drive 75 miles away. No trade in. :shades:
    I bought mine in March 2005 for $150 below invoice without a jerky reaction. Actually, the price quoted was $450 below invoice, but after the $300 "doc fee", the real price I paid was $150 below invoice. Other posters have done even better than that. I have proof of the price I paid if needed.

To future buyers: CR-Vs CAN be had below invoice; don't be misled.

I know Isellhondas works for a dealership and would have better insight what incentives are out there. But, you and I bought our cars about the same time, last week of March 2005. I knew there was an incentive and the dealer did not deny it. Isellhondas says he has never seen one, but then in the next post said there was a $500 one in December. It is highly possible that those incentives are regional, and where lives and works, Honda does not have to offer incentives.

Both of us bought car right after the $800 increase Honda put out in March to help out GM and Ford. It may have backfired and they needed to "make the numbers" for the first quater and threw out a $1500 incentive on top of the 2.9% APR for 60 months.
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    I know that this isn't the accessories page but what is the appropriate % mark up on honda accessories by the dealership. I want to negotiate the most competive price but then not get raked over the coals on accessories. Also if any of you know, can you tell me whats the deal with the security system add on it sound exactly like what my 2005 accord came with. Do crvs not come with a key that also opens the doors. Any info would be appreciated.
  • dapaperboydapaperboy Member Posts: 10
    wait a sec...2.9 at 60 mos? i got the 4.9 and was told no way on 2.9 (guy stopped short of giggling). :surprise:

regardless, we're happy with our crv. as i said in a prev post, 2006 crv ex at 800 below invoice and 2500 below MSRP. this after going back and forth with internet quotes.
    wait a sec...2.9 at 60 mos? i got the 4.9 and was told no way on 2.9 (guy stopped short of giggling).

Honda did offer 2.9% for 60 months in the last week of March 2005. Just like Honda offered 1.9% for 60 months on the Element, and Civic. It has nothing to do with the dealer. AHFC sets the interest rates. I was monitoring the incentives and jumped in at Honda's weakest moment :P
    I know that this isn't the accessories page but what is the appropriate % mark up on honda accessories by the dealership. I want to negotiate the most competive price but then not get raked over the coals on accessories. Also if any of you know, can you tell me whats the deal with the security system add on it sound exactly like what my 2005 accord came with. Do crvs not come with a key that also opens the doors. Any info would be appreciated.

Click on the link at the top of this page ( http://www.HandA-accessories.com ) to see what the accesories cost. Figure HandA only marks up 25% whearas your dealer does a 75%-100% mark up, plus labor.

I don't know what your add on security system on the Accord is, but chances are that it is the same unit for all Honda models.

As far as the key is, all keys open doors, that is their primary function. If you meant to ask if the key came in with built in remote keyless entry, the answer is yes.
    The new cars we sell usually have between 10 and maybe 50 miles on them. Sometimes, and employee will take a car home or they maybe it's been on a couple of demo drives.

On cars that came in on a dealer trade, they can have 200 miles or so on them. To me, that wouldn't be a big deal.