Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bajarainnybajarainny Member Posts: 3
    O.K. folks, I should have been more clear. I only used the MSRP as a way to simplify my negotiations with the dealer. I absolute HATE the haggling and nitpicking, but I've never paid "sticker" for any car either. To expedite this (and save a chunk of $$$), I offered MSRP as the OTD price. No haggling. No questions. I am aware of the Invoice, Factory to dealer incentive, "adjusted market value", etc. We have 8.5% sales tax here and this dealer has modest Doc. fees so I considered all of these additional amounts to be my total discount and thought it was reasonable. I just didn't want to get involved with all the "we're SO close..." nonsense relative to closing a deal. So, I believe the dealer made $500 on the factory to dealer incentive plus the holdback. Seems fair to me and the dealer. I see the person just south of me made a little better deal on their Silver Moss LX. WTG !
  • Options
    mysticaxemysticaxe Member Posts: 1
    Pewter CR-V SE AWD for $23,222. They gave me $1850 for a '96 Civic EX w/ 130K miles. Not too bad, based on what I saw here. The price on the EX was $21488 and I had a couple dealers that would do that. Thanks to Edmunds I knew what to ask for!
  • Options
    debbie09debbie09 Member Posts: 2
    Just brought home '06 CRV-LX-4WD in Silver Moss. Bought in Orange Cty, NY. Price paid was $19,800. I had a really hard time finding one around here. Aren't that many left and the ones that are available the salesman won't budge on price. I hope I got a good deal. Would love to hear input. Thanks.
  • Options
    novotny_jacknovotny_jack Member Posts: 12
    Yo gang,
    Just purchased above for $21,400 (not including Md 5% tax, titling fee, registration. Redondo Pearl red, just mats inside. Had to ferret out one without the usual dealer add on crap but stuck to guns. Got 2.9% financing for 36months. Mainly thanks to board for knowing stuff is out there. All in all I'm happy enouhg with the deal.
    Jack
  • Options
    jtroyer98jtroyer98 Member Posts: 2
    Bought my LX 2WD (alabaster silver) last Saturday for $19000 +TTL. I know some folks have gotten lower quotes, but they showed me how many 2WD LXs there were in the wholes state (only 15; only 3 in the color we wanted). This matched what I had seen from the online dealer inventories. Looks like some areas have more to choose from; currently there aren't many around here.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.
  • Options
    daedae Member Posts: 143
    Really don't understand the desire for 2wd Lx. It doesn't seem to have traction control to help the fwd (its built into the 4wd xfer case) and only 2mpg better in ratings.

According to Honda it does. Traction control is NOT build in into transfer case - you do not know what you are talking about.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently went away from purchasing a Ford and decided on a Toyota, Honda or Nissan vehicle instead. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by 5:30 PM PT/8:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    chazzumchazzum Member Posts: 13
    There's been a couple postings about V's becoming difficult to find in some areas. Could we be seeing a rush on 2ng Gen V's now that the '07 has been unveiled? I have a feeling the best deals on the remaining V's are behind us. Still great deals to be had but perhaps not as good as we thought they might get towards the end of the model run.

I did some price testing on carsdirect.com varying my zip code and found the V SE comes in at just over $23,150 in Southern CA, $23,200 range in Jefferson City, MO and $23,415 in Philadelphia, PA. Pricing definitely matters depending on where you are located.
  • Options
    dcniblickdcniblick Member Posts: 3
    There are lots of reasons to buy 2wd over AWD, in addition to the gas mileage, the auto insurance will be cheaper.
  • Options
    phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    Ya I just ran the difference for me (32 married male) and the 12 month difference in auto insurance is $18 per year so that is a wash. Unless you have a horrid record driving there is no real difference for the auto insurance. And the $18 difference is with full coverage and much higher limits than the average person.
  • Options
    liangwwliangww Member Posts: 5
    Saw a dealer offer an option of keyless security system. Don't know what that is.
  • Options
    biggy213biggy213 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you every one, i just pick my new SE in pittsburgh,PA area. I am very happy with the car so far. My sell price was
    $23150
    +TTL
    OTD $24900.
    I think the price was not that bad.
  • Options
    nifer76nifer76 Member Posts: 9
    Just bought one last night. Price 21,870 + TTL and $99 Service fee. First quoted us about a grand higher wanted to split the difference we told them no deal they agreed to our 10% discount price and that was that. Got 4.9% for 60months. Spent less then 2hrs at dealer. Got there at 5:45p.m. and they closed at 7p.m. We were out by 7:30. Didn't hurt that we were the only customers on Labor day evening and had everyone helping us. They suggested all the usual stuff like extended warranty, weather pkg, gap, etc. but didn't push it. Could have been because of the time or that they don't push it at all. So we are happy with the deal and hopefully we will be happy with the SUV. :)
  • Options
    dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    don't be so sure. Good deals are still ahead :)
    Metro Detroit area- just got a call from a dealer that I am going back and forth with buying a basic LX- CRV from:
    $ 19500 OTD, including cargo cover and roof rack. Almost $1000 less then 10 days ago.
    The basic CRV looks sooo cheap, it's ridiculous asking for a deal without including some "basic" options... standard on Highlander.
    At least in S_E Mi, there are still plenty of 06 CRV's left .... and to choose from.
    dan
  • Options
    Well, for those waiting for a better offer to come along after 9/5 looks like you have a bit longer to wait. Honda took the special financing offer on Honda Trucks (Element, CR-V and Pilot) off the table on 9/5; they had been offering 2.9% on 36 months and 4.9% 60 months. I'm not sure what Honda's usual tactic is on outgoing models they still have in stock (rebates anyone ???).
  • Options
    they've been also offering Honda to dealer $750 cash.
    But 9/05 is history... and many 06 CRV's are still dusting in dealer back yards, occupying VALUABLE space for the NEW 07's :)
    What do you expect other then even better ( higher) rebates by the end of month. Rubbing my hands :D
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    While you are rubbing your hands, inventories are shrinking.

We are quickly running out of the most desirable colors and models.
  • Options
    not in metro Detroit area, my friend.
    there' re still plenty.. checking on line inventories every day, and they're not shrinking at all.
    Still frantically rubbing my hands :shades:
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Don't assume the on line inventories you are looking at are updated constantly.

Also, as inventories shrink, prices actually go UP as people start to panic waiting for the prices to drop even more! I see this happen every year.

We are completely out of SE's at this point except for (I think) one black one.

The EX automatics are getting very thin too.

You just might want to stop rubbing and start shopping?
  • Options
    On line inventories: Their not at all accurate. My Honda dealer showed Fits in stock for weeks that he didn't have. Until you actually go shopping you won't know what's actally left.
  • Options
    bobdylanbobdylan Member Posts: 4
    Yo Dan, this is true for lx's, and to a certain degree for se's, but it ain't so for ex's. I live in Mid-Mi and had found few to no ex's in stock. Checked everywhere, Muskegon, Bay City, Detroit, Ann Arbor, you name it. I must have checked 20-25 dealers. I finally was able to secure an EX-AWD in my chosen color- blue, for a decent price, but it is coming from Ohio.

By the way people, I would avoid Fox Honda in Grand Rapids. They quoted me $21.7k over the phone (including destination), then when I wanted to secure the deal I was told that the salesperson didn't have the authority to offer it at that price. Said they couldn't go lower than $22k. Given that their doc fee was $40 higher than anyone else and they way they treated me, I walked. I saved around $300 getting it from Brighton Honda and having them ship the car from Ohio.
  • Options
    mrrk47mrrk47 Member Posts: 104
    I leased a 2006 CRV EX AWD in March of this year. I made the transaction before I was exposed to one very serious piece of information, YOU CAN NEGOTIATE SALES PRICE ON A LEASE! It was before my obsession with edmunds.com and I truly didn't know any better, and worse I feel like an total idiot over the whole deal. So, Honda of Hayward in Hayward, Ca, you got me once , but not again. I personally will never buy a Honda from there again and actually am ruling out Honda, becuase of this,I paid MSRP while all of you did not and I am really happy for all of you. Yes, you read it right I paid the 24 grand and some change for a car that most of you got for around 21800, I feel like a moron.
    I felt so bad over this I went out and leased a Volvo S40 for 5400 off MSRP, call it a reactionary move, I guess. So when you guys are fussing over whether or not to buy an CRV EX AWD for 22000.00, don't fuss , DO IT! I wish I got mine for 22 grand.
    Once again, HONDA OF HAYWARD( BAY AREA OF CALIFORNIA) WILL RIP OFF EVEN A LOYAL CUSTOMER OFF. The CRV was the 3rd car I bought or leased from them with in the last 4 years, they don't care at all about customers, just hte bottom line. I guess that can be said about a great many dealers out there, but none them screwed me , just these guys.
    They could of tossed in a 500 dollar discount for buying 3 cars from us, not!
  • Options
    mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Trust me there are many of people on here that have done what you have at some time or another ( some worse) including myself many of years ago. Dont take it out on HONDA just make sure you dont buy from them and tell eveyone you know thats your recourse. Like many of us you are now more up on the car game and like you said fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.. Good Luck.............>>>M
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    -Unless the dealership is owned by your mother, you probably would have got similar treatment at any other dealership in America. And this would depend on you being on the very best of terms with mom at the time.
    (excepting manufacturer rebates that other makes have... they would throw them in gratis as it is usually no benefit to them not to.)

-If you can go around leasing Volvo's ... etc in reactionary moves etc... and purchase (finance) this many autos in this manner.. why do you care about 2000 bucks?

In general leasing (unless you have your own business in some instances) isn't the best method for aquiring anyway . (the lease is called a "fleece" for a reason)

@stard die for his country?)

Please do read my message 12481 in the Accord prices paid discussion. Read/(purchase) the resources I mention and learn and get some insight into this game for life. (Especially with the significant amount of transactions you do)

As usual Happy Hunting

--jjf
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words. I went a little overboard. It's just the pricipal of the deal that gets me. I've learned more since then that it most certainly won't happen again. Yeah, I had a frenzy for a while, but I got the cars I want and that's that. Thanks again.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,207
    Everyone gets a bad deal on at least one lease... usually, it is the first one.. Don't feel bad about it.. Just learn from it.

A bad lease deal on a good car is a lot better than a great lease deal on a lousy car.. at least you got a good car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    as inventories shrink, prices actually go UP as people start to panic waiting for the prices to drop even more! I see this happen every year.
    what you're saying, my friend, is against any free market and economics rule of thumbs.
    Esp in this case, when NEW 07 CR-V's are already shipped to the dealers, the remaining OLD 06's are a not as desirable, unless heavily discounted.
    Indeed, my search is for a 2WD LX, which is at the bottom of the list for many customers...but still.
    Every other day the salesperson of my neighborhood Honda dealer is calling me with a new ( lower) offer.
    But I wouldn't argue too much with you, noticing that yousellhondas :P
    Still rubbing my hands. ;)
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Esp in this case, when NEW 07 CR-V's are already shipped to the dealers, the remaining OLD 06's are a not as desirable, unless heavily discounted."

In general I agree, except that some people actually may prefer the Gen 2 to the Gen 3. Consider that this is the first year for Gen 3, that it has a wider turn radius, and that the front end isn't for everyone.

At this point, I'd have to see the Gen 3 in person before I chose between the two.
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The laws of economics generally apply everywhere. (In the macro sense). But every business has its (seemingly)irrational side of market psychology. And nowhere is this more true than in the car business.

Review my message 12481 in accord prices paid discussion, get and study the resources, solicit 15-30 bids by email/fax at monthend and get your car already.

--jjf

Esp in this case, when NEW 07 CR-V's are already shipped to the dealers, the remaining OLD 06's are a not as desirable, unless heavily discounted."

In general I agree, except that some people actually may prefer the Gen 2 to the Gen 3. Consider that this is the first year for Gen 3, that it has a wider turn radius, and that the front end isn't for everyone.

At this point, I'd have to see the Gen 3 in person before I chose between the two.
  • Options
    Still rubbing my hands

Dan - Rub away.

Economics is a tricky subject. Demand, with a limited supply of a desireable product, tends to put an upward pressure on price. You assume the '06 model will be less desireable once the '07 is available. I see it a different way. Many don't seem to care all that much for the more feminine '07 V which may make the '06 MORE in demand and drive up prices. If the '07 turns out to be generally hated, those of us with used Gen 2's may see our resale values increase.
  • Options
    just curious...who's that MANY that don't seem to care all that much for the more feminine '07V ??? How many did you count so far????
    Could be those MANY people acroos the Honda dealers that put their names on waiting lists for purchasing the new 07 CRV?
    do you really know what you are craving ?
    Did you see and drive the new 07 CRV? Let me know when you do...and please, don't blame economics as a tricky subject.
    BTW. Got MY deal $198000 OTD for a basic LX-CRV, Sahara Sand color. Cargo cover included. PAyed cash. Bingo!
    Stop rubbing my hands :shades:
    D
  • Options
    rajhererajhere Member Posts: 1
    Hi All

What will be a good price to pay for 2006 CRV EX AWD Automatic.

Thanks
    Raj
  • Options
    davidaknzdavidaknz Member Posts: 3
    I paid $21,850 for this model in Seattle. Internet and email based negotiating with 3 dealers I think it was a decent price. Traveling to Seattle this weekend to drive it up to Alaska. Good luck. :)

~David
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I leased a 2006 CRV EX AWD in March of this year. I made the transaction before I was exposed to one very serious piece of information, YOU CAN NEGOTIATE SALES PRICE ON A LEASE! It was before my obsession with edmunds.com and I truly didn't know any better, and worse I feel like an total idiot over the whole deal. So, Honda of Hayward in Hayward, Ca, you got me once , but not again. I personally will never buy a Honda from there again and actually am ruling out Honda, becuase of this,I paid MSRP while all of you did not and I am really happy for all of you. Yes, you read it right I paid the 24 grand and some change for a car that most of you got for around 21800, I feel like a moron.
    I felt so bad over this I went out and leased a Volvo S40 for 5400 off MSRP, call it a reactionary move, I guess. So when you guys are fussing over whether or not to buy an CRV EX AWD for 22000.00, don't fuss , DO IT! I wish I got mine for 22 grand.
    Once again, HONDA OF HAYWARD( BAY AREA OF CALIFORNIA) WILL RIP OFF EVEN A LOYAL CUSTOMER OFF. The CRV was the 3rd car I bought or leased from them with in the last 4 years, they don't care at all about customers, just hte bottom line. I guess that can be said about a great many dealers out there, but none them screwed me , just these guys.
    They could of tossed in a 500 dollar discount for buying 3 cars from us, not!

So, did you trade the CR-V for the Volvo?

The job of the salesman to sell, and he did a good job of selling. Why get angry at him? You failed to do your homework, and you literally paid for it. If you traded the CR-V for Volvo, I bet you they got you for another $2-$3,000, so now you are $5000 in the hole... Then you will realize that the money off MSRP that you got on the Volvo were a manufacturer's rebate and there still was room to negotiate.... and the cycle continues.

Leasing is even worse than what you did. You have nothing to show for the last 36 months of payments at the end of the lease. No equity, nothing. But, that is another thread.
  • Options
    bobdylanbobdylan Member Posts: 4
    Last week I paid $21.7k including destination, not including the remainder, for an ex awd 2006 in Michigan. The cheapest I found was $21.3k, but the price was only good on a beige. Anything below $22k including destination is respectable. I contacted about twelve dealerships and received about seven replies.

Good luck.
  • Options
    vp68vp68 Member Posts: 3
    You mean $21,850 is OTD or ...

Thanks!
  • Options
    Yes, $21,850 was OTD (including destination). Doc fee of $35 was then added.
    ~David
  • Options
    Whoa there tuff guy,

NO, I didn't trade the CRV, I needed a second car suddenly after the CRV. Don't attack me buddy, if anything I was attacking the dealer, not us consumers.......or are you a dealer...hmmmm ! I will take it like a man and ride out my lease and appreciate the fact that I can afford two new cars at this point in my life....darn who are you !
    I would of had to invest many more hours and maybe even point a gun at the SM to get more off of the Volvo. 21000 for a S40 is darn good considering during that time they were selling a total base model with no geartronic and met paint for 20000.
    I'm not so far in the hole as you think, yeah I could of got 2000 off the CRV in march, but you're right I didn't do my homework. Well, I do it now. Besides, I think the money off the Volvo was manu to dealer cash or rebate or whatever. YOu're probably going to respond by telling me that dealer cash is a rebate...well save it!
    HOw could I have gotten more of the Volvo when everyone else in my area was getting bout the same, I just wanted what everyone else was getting , not necessarily more.
    Buddy, just let me blow off steam on here instead of telling me how studpid you think I am. SAVE IT!
  • Options
    Listen Mr. Perfect Negotiator,

Have you ever got burned on a car deal? If so let me have me have my one burn! Leasing isn't for everyone , there's reason to lease and reasons not to. The way I look at it Leasing my cost a couple thousand more in taxes and finance charges if one wishes to purchase the best used car he or she can purchase( one that they have driven for the last 3 years. Lets face it....I maybe inserting a foot in my mouth here, but all of us who but new cars ARE GETTING TO A CERTAIN POINT BY SALESMEN. That's how it's set up, we will never truly get over on the big dealers. If you and the rest of us don't want to get ripped off in the least bit we should buy 12 year old Tercels, no continuing cycle there, right blueyedgod!
    The cycle doesn't continue! I learned a valuable lesson here! The major points of my post were as follows:
    * angry at myself for not doing research!
    * assuming that dealerships(esp. the one I went to) value repeat business
    * to maybe notify at least at one Hayward area consumer not to buy from Hayward Honda
    * for some of the fellow posters here to tell me I'm not alone
    * angry at myself again!
    * to get it off my chest
    So, once again Save it !
  • Options
    BTW, I got them for all the available rebates and got almost 2 grand more off the Volvo. Man, I should'nt of let you bait me like this.
  • Options
    schweitzschweitz Member Posts: 3
    Taxes will be paid in AK I assume? So $21,850 plus tax.
  • Options
    No taxes to pay in ALaska if purchased in lower 48. Just registration and tags. Around $220.
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Seems like I touched an aching nerve here. We all learn from our mistakes, and this website has great advice to people who are in the market to buy vehicles. The confessions of the salesman gives you a great insight into what it is like to be a car salesman.

No, I don't sell cars, I just like the chase and always look forward to negotiating with the dealer. I play it my way, not necesseraly the way this or other websites siggest. But, I don't get emotionally attached to the vehicle. It is just a game. If I don't like my hand, I walk away. The salesman knows that. On the average, it takes me 3-4 weeks to negotiate a deal on a car. I pit one dealer against another, then against another, I get as many dealers involved as necessary to get to what my goal is.

I paid $20,500 for the 2005 CR-V EX in March of 2005 after negotiating with the dealers in the area for almost a month. The 2002 Civic Si, that had an MSRP of $19,500, I paid $14,500.

Oh, as far as Volvo S40 goes, I would not pay $21,000 for a glorified Ford Focus. Mazda3, which is essentially the same car, and is cheaper as well. This is just me, if you happen to like V40, good for you.
  • Options
    Your so right it is the hunt and the game that i enjoy i have helped family and friends do many of deals. The one thing i tell them all it is just a business deal take the emotion out of it. ..... >>M
  • Options
    Well, you live in Vermont, things are diff there. I am not saying this just for spite , but 2002 SI, is not good looking....a hatchback went bad, it probably sat on the tarmac a longggg time. I'm not going to defend S40, it doesn't need defending. BTW my CRV has 16 inch wheels and your doesn't. That's worth 4 grand to me. There's a great state out in here in the west called Nevada, you might like it.
  • Options
    FYI..........The 2005 and 2006 CRV have 16 inch wheels this was changed after 2004. From another great State out west .. WASHINGTON STATE
    ....>>M
  • Options
    Yeah, I realized that after I posted that....They're basically identical...hmmm...I was trying to zing that guy with anything, even something as meaningless as that.
  • Options
    Just like you I am enjoying my CRV....
  • Options
    You're probably enjoying this bluidgod guy rattle me too..haha
  • Options
    Nope life is to short I am on the fence :) ...>>M