Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• snoopy21snoopy21 Member Posts: 114
    isellhondas and hondaguy67, no offense intended but i think you need to cool it. because both your livelihoods depend on people paying as much as possible for our new CR-Vs, your bias and objectivity are brought into question when arguing that people should be paying MSRP. besides, the mod has spoken!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Please don't lump us all together.

I naver "argued" that people should pay MSRP. I just said that they are a good value for MSRP.

If someone is able to do better, great! In my neck of the woods, anyway, we just don't have many CRV's to sell at ANY price!
  • nearmspnearmsp Member Posts: 90
    thanks torodiesel. I replied!
  • wilsonmc3wilsonmc3 Member Posts: 2
    MSRP was $21,900
    Out the door: $22,382
    Tax was 6.25%

This was a big fight and we were friends with the dealership owner. I don't know if we did well or not. I've been trying to research but a lot of people here just chat rather than share prices!!!! Hint hint!!
  • banjolaya1banjolaya1 Member Posts: 88
    MSRP is the price the manufacturer things the car "could" sell for. I think no car "should" be bought for MSRP even if it is as good as Honda CR-V.
    Congrats wilsonmc3! I hope you enjoy your new shiny ride. If you want you can take a picture of the baby in your driveway and share it with us.
    Now, when it comes to purchase, MSRP or not, good deal or not, a very important thing is how you all did in the F&I managers office. Please share your buying experience with us too.
  • wilsonmc3wilsonmc3 Member Posts: 2
    That's a really good point. For anybody interested, Honda offered us 8.25% with a $12,382 down payment (the money we got from the insurance company on our total loss car). We would have been financing $10,000. Our fico scores are on the high side of the "good" category, but not quite in the "excellent" category if that helps anyone figure where they'd fit. Capital One offered us 9%. No way. So, we went to the bank of "Mom and Dad" and financed our $10,000 over the course of 3 years for 3% (what they're currently getting with the money in a savings acct.)
    The "mom and dad" bank are not banking at the right place:) HSBC on-line saving account interest rate is 5.05% and ING is 4.5%.

I guess this is not an opportune time to let the "bank" know of alternative investment avenues:)
  • feefoefeefoe Member Posts: 36
    Yeah, they stepped up to the plate by replacing a ton of transmissions over nd over again with more bad transmissions despite the fact that they knew the replacements would fail again and again in order to push the owners (who could not have forseen that it wasn't just their bad transmission, but a design flaw that would ensure that their new transmission replacement(s) would also fail) along in time to the point where exercising any kind of lemon law option was off the table.

Oh, and please explain to me how the extended warranty was "stepping up to the plate." Am I to take it that you consider a class action lawsuit resulting in a court ordered settlement, "stepping up to the plate?"

It's funny, I was at a Honda dealership tonight and saw the exact same model and year Odyssey that my father has sitting on the lot. It had 80,000 miles on it, and they had it priced at over $15,000. I feel sorry for the poor sucker who gets stuck with it.
  • utzigtravelutzigtravel Member Posts: 3
    Wow,

I found these forums and wanted to see what other people are paying. Its hard to find those posts between all the bickering back and forth between people about "Honda Odyssey" transmissions.

Hopefully it will get back on track.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Yea its to bad some people cant read the topic before they post. Stay around most of them dont... Good Luck

MNF
  • bmwguy23bmwguy23 Member Posts: 43
    Hint hint, it would be easier if you just gave your purchase price...most people don't live where you live and therefore have different tax rates, license and doc fees.
    I understand. No problem.

There are a lot of cars out there that you can certainly buy for less than MSRP.

Cars sell for what they are worth.
    Agree, the CRV is a great deal for what you get...even at MSRP...plus the difference between MSRP and invoice is not that great...less than $2K...I paid $650 over invoice on my EX-L and think that was an awesome value.

I just installed front splash, chrome exhaust and cargo tray myself for $160 too via Handa Accessories.
  • waterproblemwaterproblem Member Posts: 1
    I want a wagon! Does anyone know if either honda or toyota have plans to make one?
    Have all but replaced wagons. The last Accord Wagon was built in 1997 and by that time, sales had declined to almost nothing.
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    I'd buy one in a minute. I'd love the mileage and handling of the Civic with the packaging of a wagon(without a sloping downward rear end). I'd also like to see an Accord wagon. Only the European manufacturers and Subaru continued making wagons during the SUV and Minivan craze. They are still weaning the buyers from SUVs with "crossovers".
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Yeah, they stepped up to the plate by replacing a ton of transmissions over nd over again with more bad transmissions despite the fact that they knew the replacements would fail again and again in order to push the owners (who could not have forseen that it wasn't just their bad transmission, but a design flaw that would ensure that their new transmission replacement(s) would also fail) along in time to the point where exercising any kind of lemon law option was off the table."

That would not work in CA; if you have to return the car for the same problem three times, or the car is out of service for 30 days (total), the lemon law can be invoked.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I want a wagon! Does anyone know if either honda or toyota have plans to make one?"

I went from a Gen 2 CR-V to the Ford Freestyle, which is a wagon. About 1 MPG less than the CR-V in MPG, but far smoother and quite a bit larger.
    Actually the number of Odysseys with bad transmission was less than 2% of total production. People expect Hondas to be perfect and for good reason. The replacement transmissions were modified to prevent the problem form reoccuring.

Things get way overblown on the internet. You'll notice, I ignored that guy.
  • yankeefan2yankeefan2 Member Posts: 53
    Got 4 Quotes, only 2 dealers wanted to sell cars the other two wanted to make money.

Here is my deal for a White 2007 CR-V 2wd with Navigation.

Sticker Price: $27,395

Invoice Price: $25,375

Sale Price: $25895 + $493 (Fog Lights) = $26,388

Documentary Preparation Fee: $75

Title Preparation Fee: $20

RI sales Tax 7%: $1,847.16

New Registration Fees: $114.00

Grand Total of $28,444.16

I took a 3 yr loan for $17,000 @ 3.5% from my Credit Union because they gave me 6.25% CD on my money. So as it turns out my 3 yr interest for the loan is $933.00 and I make $1,249.35 on the first year of my 7 year Certificate of deposit, so I am making money by taking a loan. This was even more of a no brainer. The only reason I only took a $17,000 loan is because I want to keep the payment below $500.00. My monthly Payment is $498.35.

I plan on buying Front Mud Flaps, All-seasons mats, Cargo mat and maybe front
    Front Hood Deflector from www.bernardiparts.com where accessories are alot cheaper than the Dealer.

Good Luck on your buying. :shades:
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Isell,
    Is that 2% of the total of Odysseys production, or 2% of all of Toyota's? And what exactly was wrong with that transmission?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,316
    i thought this is supposed to be about cr-v's.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I expected you to start ignoring me at some point. Arguing with me just serves to cause people to start Googling what I'm talking about, at which point they can make up their minds about who is more credible.

"The number of Odysseys with bad transmission was less than 2% of total production," huh? What exactly does that mean? Are referring to the three years that I'm talking about, or is this just a sweeping generalization that you pulled out of thin air?

Let's assume that you're referring to the years 99 through 01, you know, the ones that were part of the class action suit? Assuming that those are the ones that you're referring to, was that 2% of the 99's, 2% of the 00's, and 2% of the 01's? Where do you get your data from? Could it be from the same place that you guys get your finance numbers and trade-in numbers from?

Before I go on, a Google search that I did just now turned this up:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fa11e

It seems as this discussion has already occurred in at least one other Edmunds forum.

Here's the deal. Honda did not correct the transmission design problems for those model years. They only fixed the problem in the design of the 2002, and the 2002 transmissions cannot be used in the earlier models. What my brother in law explained to me is that there is a surface in the transmission that literally breaks apart and clogs up the whole system. This was never rectified by designing a replacement part that would not break apart so that the transmission would not fail.

The bottom line is that what we are talking about is a transmission that can fail at any time. Would you consider that to be a little dangerous? I would. On one occasion, my dad and brother were returning home from a Penn State game and barely managed to get it into the driveway before the transmission completely died.

I'm noit sure if that was the first, second, or third time that he had it replaced.

And that friends, is why the trade in on a $32,000+ 2001 Odyssey with 90K miles is around $5000. He could have bought any number of other less expensive models that year that would have had a much higher trade in value, but because the problem is one that is impossible to fix given Honda's refusal to redesign the offending part(s), it's $5000.

If you want a 2001 with 80K miles, I know a dealer here in the Los Angeles area that has one on the lost for a little over $15,000.

I wonder if he can pull the navigation system and throw it itnot a Sienna. It would be useful in that he could map out all of the Honda dealers in the area in order to maintain a wide berth to avoid the smell emanating therefrom...
  • brianjandreaubrianjandreau Member Posts: 67
    Total Vehicle Price: $25,127 (inc. splash guards, wheel locks, chrome exhaust)

From the time I ordered it (several posts ago) to the time I took delivery: 2 weeks.
    Which CR-V EXL did you purchase??? Those accessaries are only $106.47 at web site I posted. I know the dealer was more. :P
    That is a good price...about $400 over invoice including accessories.
  • crvme3crvme3 Member Posts: 140
    That is a good price, but I think I got you beat... '07 CRV EX-L $24,656.00 including splash gaurds & wheel locks. from order time to delivery 2 1/2 weeks. :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,098
    Geez... not to be a pain.. .but, if we can't stay on topic, then this forum is going to be closed down..

In the meantime, any off-topic posts will be deleted.. Repeated offenses may involve me calling your mother..

If you don't think you are being a pain (if you are wondering if you means you, then it probably does), then read back over the last 100 posts, and see how many times someone begs you to take off-topic posts elsewhere.

Thanks for your cooperation,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I don't know what you mean by which CRV EXL I purchased. I didn't get one with Navigation.

I paid $83 for Splash Guards installed, $63 for chrome exhaust installed, and $51 for wheel locks. What's that... $197. I guess the extra for the splash guards and chrome exhaust is installation charges. Oh well.
    Excellent!

But do tell... where, how?
  • starchild4starchild4 Member Posts: 8
    This is my first ordered new car. In the past, we only purchased American cars. We were told 2 weeks ago (by the dealer) that our car was "on the boat". Does anyone know the specifics of how long this may take or what procedures must be done before it arrives here in the States? Thank you in advance.
    You paid about 7 % over invoice, if you got the 2wd without Navigation. That car invoice price is $23,531. If you purchase the AWD without Navigation you paid 2%. That car invoice Price is $24,637. Which is a good deal. But as I said you didn't say which one you got. If you bought the other stuff at the web sight I mention you could of got the Chrome Exhaust $ 37.44, Splash Guard $36.27 & Wheel Locks $32.76. Happy driving.

Thank you Host for try getting this site back on track. This site is for people to get a idea of what you should be paying for your CR-V and how you bought it either by internet or by going to he dealers. There are alot of people out there that don't have a clue on how to purchase a vehicle. This is what this forum is for so everyone should put your whole deal on the table so people car understand what the Dealer are doing (trying to make the most money) and what we the people are doing (trying to pay the least money) This is what America is all about. Not some of this petty stuff that I have seen here.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    It has been rumored and reported in reliable U.S. magazines that the Honda Stream was coming to N.A. and rebadged the Latitude. Unfortunately this has yet to occur. The Stream has been updated and this 9 minute movie produced by Honda shows the Honda Stream Hyper Sport. It's shown in the last 4 minutes.

http://www.honda.co.jp/ACCESS/autosalon07/report/movie.html

Toyota has the WISH which has also been rumored would come to compete against the Latidude and Mazda5. Only the M5 has arrived.

I believe the Stream is based off the Civic as is the CR-V and not the Accord. I'd also like the see a wagon and feel the Stream would be the right size.
  • crvme3crvme3 Member Posts: 140
    California, My method is to know exactly what I want, to know dealers actual invoice costs as well incentives,hold backs etc. Then proceed to work salesman against each other. I do this mainly over the Internet until I feel pricing is close to what I consider is bottom (let's all understand there is point that no one will cross - when you are told that a vehicle cannot be sold at that price you know you are getting close) This is when you go to them in person & make them understand that you are a serious buyer. Under no curcumstances do you get "friendly " with the sales person "this is a business transaction - can we do business or not?"... Then the bargaining starts anew. When a dealer truly wants to sell cars they will usually not let you walk away, you have to stand your ground & be firm on pricing... With the understanding that the market can change daily. What is a good deal today may not be next month. This method has always worked for me. :)
    I know I couldn't sell cars in that horrible marketplace.

I wanted to ask all of you what you are finding in your parts of the U.S. for CRV availability?

Here in the greater Seattle area, inventories are vERY scarce We are the largest volume store in the state and we currently have zero EXL's. We have about ten schedulded to drop next week and I think seven of those have deposits on them. All of the CRV's have been tough but the 4WD EXL's have been the hardest.

I'm just wondering if the situation is different elsewhere.
    In Maine, there are five Honda dealerships. Only two have EXLs in stock currenlty. The dealership I just bought from had to go to MA to get mine; they traded another model for it. They said that they were supposed to be getting six in February, but two were already spoken for. Needless to say, they seem to be scarce.
    Isellhondas,

If a person comes to your dealership and books a CRV EX-L AWD say tomorrow, how many weeks will it take for the person's vehicle to arrive, assumning you don't have any in-stock and "on-order" This would really help many buyers like me (and a few) are having wool pulled over our eyes with the story that is in "on the boat". I would appreciate if you can please give the time line from booking, to going on to production to the shipping time to arrving from the port (CA?) say to the mid-west (Minneapolis).
    thanks!
    Not to make you feel bad but it took me 5 minutes to install the splash guards and chrome exhaust myself...your dealer made like $75 in those 5 minutes.
    If you consider the B.S. that three years' worth of Odyssey customers had to deal with to be, "petty," I wonder if you know the definition of the word, "petty," is.

Let's get something straight. I only offered up my story after isellhondas made the following comment, and I quote:

"I had a "Smart Shopper" decide to "save" money by buying a Kia instead of an Odyssey. After two years of hating it, they came back to me for an Odyssey.

Since Kias depreciate like a rock,things didn't work out well for them."

The corporate shill opened the door on this, so pardon me if I walked through it and measured his nose.

BTW, there are a ton of CRV's on the lots here in California, at least in the LA area. Sit tight everybody, more will arrive shortly, and the fewer you buy right now during this carefully-controlled exercise in scarcity, the lower the prices will dip.

If you can get a few more years out of your car, do it. cash will be king again soon, so why drop 25K on a car you don't need when that same 25K will come in mighty handy for paying off debt, or snapping up some real estate when the sh@# hits the fan.
  • yangdariyangdari Member Posts: 20
    Bay Area Market:

Two weeks ago I visited Autowest (Fremont) and they had ~15 CRVs on the lot (at least half EXL models including some navi models)

Today I walked past Anderson Honda in Palo Alto and saw 5 CRVs (3 EXL w/ Navi).

On a side note, I haven't seen any Navy Blue or Borego Beige CRVs lately...not sure why.

So, anectodal evidence suggests that there is no shortage of CRVs in the Bay Area. Also, in late November I priced a 2WD EXL model and got two offers for ~$400 over invoice (which is probably a good price by your standards)
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Here in the San Antonio most dealerships have about 4 of the EXL models, most with navigational system.
  • utzigtravelutzigtravel Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for a Ex-L, AWD, W/O Nav, Glacier Blue and cannot find one on a dealers lot anywhere in the Maryland market.

We have one on order, but due to a "issue" with the dealer, I do not know if I am going to give them our business.

I would love to chat with a dealer to see the best way to go about dealing with them.
    Could it be that the 2WD are in oversupply and the AWD are in short supply. Here in Minneapolis I don't find that situation. I booked in December and my dealer is still playing the "on the boat" game and trying to sell earlier to anyone who is paying more. However, since the booking and everything is not public information it is hard to tell for sure, but it does rile me that in Minnesota waiting time is 6 weeks and in CA CRVs are lying on the lot. Is this a case of Hondas US head office favoring their home state?
    Well, it depends. If a person is open on color, I might be able to get you an EXL in a couple of weeks.

If your dealer has a VIN number, that means the car has been built and it's on it's way.
    So all you had to do is say Isellhondas go to the Odyssey site so we can talk about this problem so all the Odyssey owners can see it. Not on the CR-v site where they will not get this information.

End of story ;)
    End of story? Hope so!
    Well keep hoping, because this is not the end of the story.

Okay, let's talk CRV's. I've been hearing a lot of different stories regarding their availability. At one dealer here in Los Angeles, I was told that delivery would take three months if I ordered a specific model and color.

A second dealer, about five miles away, told me that they could have the model of my choosing there in TWO hours. I test drove an LX, and afterwards, that same dealer dropped the price 2K under MSRP as soon as I sat down without me having to do one bit of negotiating.

I didn't buy the car.

Both dealers had four to five CRV's sitting on their lots in plain view.

A third dealer that I visited had eight CRV's, and told me that they were getting more in very soon.

I know it's a nice car, but in my area there are plenty of them, so I'm wondering what all of this waiting is all about. Maybe it's because LA is next to Long Beach's port, and most of the cars from this side of the country trickle out from here.

It is interesting, however, that the second dealership told me on three different occasions that they could get ANY model in ANY color in two hours from the "distribution point." Could there be rows upon rows of CRV's lined up just waiting to be released to dealers?

As for the first dealership, I have a feeling that the reason that they were less likely to accomodate me on time and price is that they are in a nice part of town where all of the homes go for two million and up. I've found in the past that dealerships in that area were less likely to negotiate, so I'd head out to the dealer in the worst part of town to look for your new car. You can always have it serviced elsewhere.
    Here's a does of reality.

For those of you who live in cities with good weather, there is little need to buy the 4WD. For those of you that are under the impression that it's AWD, it's not. Only two wheels drive at any time. When slippage occurs, the power is transferred to the other two wheels, and back again after traction has been regained, so if you're driving the car around in LA, Phoenix, Las Vegas, etc.

If you live in a place that gets a lot of rain or snow, the 4WD might not be too bad an idea, but seeing as Honda has had terrible transmission problems in other newly introduced models, you might want to consider whether or not you want to take a chance on the more complicated system.

Finally, unless you need leather and a sunroof, buy the LX. Leather looks shabby after a few years and is terrible when weather is really hot and/or sticky or really cold. Sunroofs can leak or cause the surrounding upholstery to discolor or detach. Rear spoilers always seem to collect dirt and water in places not counted on when designing a model, leading to rusted-out sections just under the mounts.

Q- So what else do the EX and EXL really have offer?

A- Nothing that an iPod and a set of Honda alloy wheels purchased from Craigslist or some other Classified ads source for $400 couldn't cure.

See:

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/specifications_full_specs.asp?ModelName=CR%2- DV

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/specifications_full_specs.asp?ModelName=CR%2- DV&Category=5

All models have 12-Volt Power Outlets in the front and the rear, so don't be sidetracked by that "new center console" nonsense. It's just a friggin cheap plastic box sitting between the seats. At least the one in the LX folds to the side so that you can step through.