Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bette608bette608 Member Posts: 13
    I'm wondering how much over invoice people have paid on a 2007LX AWD (or 2008) in southern Wisconsin in the past month. Also, has anyone had experience dealing with Wilde Honda in Waukesha? We're considering them but know nothing about this dealership. Thanks.
  • adamantliadamantli Member Posts: 17
    hi, isellhondas, thank you for your comments. indeed i am not familiar with 2008 lx awd model, otherwise i may have accpeted the offer of 21322.
    rumors says 20 percent of parts of 08 model is made in U.S.. but i do not have the link.
  • kkucelkkucel Member Posts: 5
    I was too impatient to wait for the internet responses so I called instead. Honestly I think you may have higher taxes so that will affect your price. I haven't looked at the EX-L's but I think for an '07 that price is a little high. Offer them what you're comfortable with. The worst they can say is no.

The other thing that helped me is a corporate preferred buyer program through my job. See if your employer or a relatives employer has one.
  • kkucelkkucel Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. I wasn't excited about the drive from Cary to Capital during rush hour traffic but the Leith salesperson was on his toes. That alone made the purchase pleasant. Autopark wouldn't come near that price and the guy from Southpoint was a waste of my time.
  • kjf2kjf2 Member Posts: 13
    Your offer for the '07 LX seems reasonable to me, since its almost exactly invoice and the '08s should be here within a month or so. But the key factor might be how many CR-Vs the specific dealer has left in stock. Look around to other dealers in the area....

I just bought (yesterday) an 2007 EX 4WD in S.Carolina at Edmunds invoice (including destination charges) --- the dealer had at least 12 '07 CR-Vs on the lot, and during my visits over a couple of weeks, it was clear there was little movement. Yesterday was also almost the last business day of the month. 12 CR-Vs on the lot may not be a big number elsewhere, but its significant in this area. (coastal SC).

Two other dealers I shopped and got offers from had very little or no stock in the EX 4wd. The fourth dealer I got a very competitive quote for was 100 miles away, and had an unknown number of CR_Vs in stock. (no online inventory around here, unfortunately)

At this point if you can actually hoof it around the dealers lot or look at the online inventory and see they have a good supply, its hard to see why they wouldn't sell the '07s at that price. Local market conditions are also important...as in: are new car sales declining, as the national news stories have reported?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Internet Sales Representative to receive your new 2007 in-stock CRV at cost

Just to be clearer on what your offer is so there isn't any mis-understandings ......When you say 'at cost', do you mean the Edmunds invoice cost with no additional cost add-ons (like advertising, doc fees, pinstripes, mop&glow, etc)? Or do you mean something else?

Exactly what is your definition of 'at cost'?
  • trinity3trinity3 Member Posts: 50
    Hi,

It's not my definition; I'm not a salesperson.
    I'm passing on info about an offer that was emailed to me.

I construed cost to be what the vehicle actually costed them; which, as I understand it, would be less than the advertised invoice price.

I posted the info, including phone and address, so that anyone interested could inquire for themselves.

I'm actually looking for the 2008 model at this point, but I'm not ready to purchase.

Thanks, Trin
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    No issues as they make money on the labor which is better than nothing. I purchased fog lights, Wood Trim and the ipod Honda link on line from different dealers and had my local dealer install them. They were more than happy to do it as they service my CR-V also. When I also purchased my 06 CR-V it was from a dealer 350 miles away and I sleep good every night :).

MNF
  • gutgaugutgau Member Posts: 4
    3 weeks ago I went to a local dealer to test drive a 08 CR-V that had just arrived and after the test the salesperson told me the dealer's asking price was MSRP+destination+2000. Of course we laughed and walked off the parking lot immediately. I am Asian and I wouldn't be surprised if that's why that offered this stupid asking price. I bought my 08 CR-V LX at another dealer for 22,000 OTD a week later. BTW, the new CR-V is very popular here.
    mnf, thanks for your input.

That makes me feel much better; I stand to save $336 by ordering my accessories online--including:

Front Splash Guards; Moonroof Visor; Fog Lights; Cargo Net; Cargo Tray; Auto Day/night Mirror; Auto Day/night Mirror Attachment; All-Season Floor Mats.

Total cost = $854.54 (incl. S/H) vs. $1,139 [not including labor]

I'm going to call my local dealer (or the dealer I eventually purchase from) to get their particular response.

What did they charge you for installing the fog lights?

Thanks again, Trin
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I don't know what being Asian had to do with anything?

Hard to determine what happened here?
    hi, gutgau. so you basically purchased the vehicle at invoice 22370. is that right?
    I am not as lucky as you. I proposed invoice plus 100 and got rejected by the sales manager immediately.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    I cant remember but what i did first was call and ask them there price ( cold call no name) to purchase then call back later as myself and get a just labor cost . I did call two dealerships to get the pricing just to make sure that I was not getting up charged. When i called I ask em them on the full bid how much was labor and how much was the item. That way when you call back you know what it should be.

Good Luck
    No. 22,000 was the out the door price, after tax and everything. The price I paid was actually a few hundred above invoice (invoice price: 19,061). It wasn't the best deal possible but considering that it's the 08 model and the car's popularity it wasn't bad either.
    I don't know about you but I truely believe the dealers' starting negotiation price depends on a mix of social and demographic factors.
  • mikeameimikeamei Member Posts: 6
    Why the invoice price is 19,257 for me? And what is your sale tax rate? thanks.
  • jerseyshopjerseyshop Member Posts: 17
    in one of his books the guy who wrote Freakonomics talks a lot about demographic profiling at car dealerships. It is a real thing in general - of course can't prove that it specifically affected poster above.
  • derkombiwagenderkombiwagen Member Posts: 13
    Yes, as long as it is OEM (genuine Honda accessories still in the package) they shouldn't care if it was purchased through the dealer or via the Internet; check H&A Accessories for the lowest prices around. If your Honda dealership balks at this just remind them that you are paying them their hourly rate ($91-$97/hr. avg) and you will surely take this business elsewhere! A dealership makes their money from the service department not from sales.

H & A accessories also provides the installation sheets from Honda in a PDF on their website. Call to get quotes from the dealership on hourly rate and # of hours for install. The auto day/night mirror should be 1 hr, the fog lights 2 hrs. and the moonroof visor .25 (you should be able to do this yourself; again, see H & A accessories website for install guide).

Good luck and don't buy into the poor analogy of bringing food to a restaurant made by another person posting - you have every right to bring in your own factory OEM Honda parts. The dealership parts department is usually separate from the service department anyway!
    Yes, as long as it is OEM (genuine Honda accessories still in the package) they shouldn't care if it was purchased through the dealer or via the Internet; check H&A Accessories for the lowest prices around. If your Honda dealership balks at this just remind them that you are paying them their hourly rate ($91-$97/hr. avg) and you will surely take this business elsewhere! A dealership makes their money from the service department not from sales.

H & A accessories also provides the installation sheets from Honda in a PDF on their website. Call to get quotes from the dealership on hourly rate and # of hours for install. The auto day/night mirror should be 1 hr, the fog lights 2 hrs. and the moonroof visor .25 (you should be able to do this yourself; again, see H & A accessories website for install guide).

Good luck and don't buy into the poor analogy of bringing food to a restaurant made by another person posting - you have every right to bring in your own factory OEM Honda parts. The dealership parts department is usually separate from the service department anyway!

Hi derkombiwagen,

Thanks for your reply; you offered great information!
    I checked out the H & A site and it is a great resource as well. Your time estimates will definitely help me ensure that I'm not being taken advantage of.

The more help I receive from posters like you, the more confident I am that this whole transaction is going to work out well. I can't wait to post the result of my purchase.

Thanks again for your positive and informative feedback!
    Trin
    Well, you can think what you want but I happen to think bringing parts purchased elsewhere into a dealer to have installed is pretty tacky.

But, that's just me I suppose.
  • pete22pete22 Member Posts: 80
    As far as I can tell based on emails between me and several dealers the 2008 EX-L are not available yet. I posted a Southern California 24,600 quote given to me by one dealer -good for 3 days. Anyway think all the prices I am getting are just a lead in to get me over to the dealership so they can "discover" there are no 2008 EX-L available but will offer me a great price on the 2007. My internet quotes for the same 2008 EX-L varied from a low of 24,600 to a high of 36,400 (unless they made a typo). Several internet quotes were at MSRP or a little higher, several about 500 - 600 over. Anyway sounds like a 3-4 week wait in any case.
  • derkombiwagenderkombiwagen Member Posts: 13
    If your forum name is any indication of what you do for a profession, why would you turn away a chance to earn revenue just because someone didn't purchase parts from your dealership? Your service department is still making a killing at installing OEM parts at a labor rate of $91-$125/hr. - some installs are painfully simple (i.e. body side molding, sunroof deflector, mud guards); these literally take minutes to install and your dealership is walking away with a hefty profit in their pocket!!! The new body side moldings for the "08 Accord now even come packaged with a full-scale paper template that the installer just holds up to the bottom quarter-panel of the door so that its foolproof where to stick the molding with the double-sided tape.

The Honda dealerships I contacted in the Chicagoland area have no qualms with installing Genuine Honda accessories - whether from their parts department or from the consumer.

Yes, ultimately it is your opinion. I however wish to provide forum readers with fact vs. opinion so that they may make an educated choice as to how they spend their money!
  • kjf2kjf2 Member Posts: 13
    The inventory sheet for incoming vehicles I looked at in SC the week before last indicated the '08 CRVs they were allocated were being manufactured/shipped from Japan at the end of Sept. They wouldn't actually arrive on the East Coast, and in SC until the end of Oct/beginning of Nov. Is there a stop in E. Liberty for "final assembly"? I don't know.

The salesman I was working with indicated the end of the first week of Nov. was the time he was promising customers.
    Like I said, that was only my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

If you think those installs are so simple, I'm surprised you just wouldn't tackle them yourself.

We recently had a customer BUTCHER a fog light installation.

We had to re-do his job and by the time he paid for replacement parts he had damaged, it wasn't pretty.
    i did test drive of 2008 CR-V LX 4WD at one local dealer and happen to notice the gas miles is listed as 20/26 on the window. I have seen couple of version of gas mile of this car:
    22/28 cars.com
    20/27 honda official site
    20/26 a local dealer
    which is very confusing, anybody has answer?
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    I've experienced many more botched jobs done by the dealer than the customer.
    Most shops will assign beginners to install jobs resulting in damaged sheet metal, paint and other areas.
  • flatsflats Member Posts: 44
    With the mandatory new EPA fuel economy rating coming online, there will be a transition period where manufactures are supposed to post the old and new ratings on vehicles to better educate customers. Perhaps this is causing your confusion.

Check out http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

But be aware all 2008 vehicles are not posted yet.
  • pmarcospmarcos Member Posts: 17
    I have to say that some of the installation charges are obscene. I recently bought a 2007 CR-V and bought a handful of accessories online and installed them myself (roof rack, mud flaps and cargo tray). I had been looking at the Owner's Link site to get a worst case idea of what the accessories would have cost. The one that absolutely killed me was the cargo tray. On OL it's listed for $105 without installation and $125 with installation. What does that $20 buy you? Somebody lays the cargo tray down in the back of the car. That's incredible. $20 for about 30 seconds of work. Same thing goes for just about all the interior accessories.

If anybody is looking for accessories I'd personally recommend checking out collegehillshonda.com. They have good prices, ship quickly and their web site shows all the installation instructions so you can get an idea of whether you can manage the installation yourself. I had never purchased accessories online (or at all) before so I was a little leery but they did a nice job and I'm very happy.
    I disagree. No smart shop is going to assign a critical job to a rookie.

At least they sure shouldn't!
  • 06civic_pain06civic_pain Member Posts: 8
    Sorry to hear you also had a bad experience from this dealership. They sold me a band new 06 Civic and didn't disclose its damage and repair history before selling it to me.
    Read my dealership review of Mile One Heritage Honda of Westminster for more details.

Good luck to you.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    No issues as they make money on the labor which is better than nothing. I purchased fog lights, Wood Trim and the ipod Honda link on line from different dealers and had my local dealer install them. They were more than happy to do it as they service my CR-V also. When I also purchased my 06 CR-V it was from a dealer 350 miles away and I sleep good every night .

Usually, those on-line parts dealers aim at DIYer, since they don't need to pay anyone to install it.

I wonder how much did you save by buying parts elsewhere and then paying your dealer to install it, as opposed to just have them install it before delivery?
    A couple west coast dealers claim to have the 2008 EX but not the EX-L. Maybe it is not the truth since they tell you alot to get you to come in. Anyway if thats true I can wait.
    I know that they changed the method they compute the mileage is 2008. Not sure if they reworked transmisson or engine 2008 vs 2007. If not your best bet the CR real world mileage. They listed 21 MPG average.
  • mikeameimikeamei Member Posts: 6
    I am interested in buying a 08 CR-V LX. I got a quote from a dealer for the drive out price for factory equipped CR-V. I think it is a good deal. But another dealer said they will charge me extra money for dealer accessories. My questions are: Dose a factory equipped CR-V have all necessary accessories? If so, why dealer install extra accessories and what are the accessories the deal may installed in the new car? Do I have to buy those accessories? Thanks.
    Hi mikeamei,

Here's the breakdown:
    price 20,084 (which includes destination charge already)
    document fee 55
    tax 1661.47
    license fee 194
    CA tire fee 8.75

I didn't know they raised the invoice to 19,257 for 08. Anyway, the price I paid before destination charge was 19,449 or 192 above 08 invoice. Not too bad indeed. :shades: :)
  • 01taurussel01taurussel Member Posts: 43
    I am looking at a CR-V at Wilde. They told me that 08 are invoice (Ex-AWD), and were trying to tell me that an 07 EX demo with 1100 of options is the 24.6k....I said I can get a NEW 07 EX (w/ same equipment) for 24.5k at a dealership about 100 miles to the north........We'll see
    Hi Folks

07 EX with all but 90 service fee for 24,600 (demo) with :
    black side steps
    all season rubber mats
    cargo mat (rubber)
    roof rack (basic)
    wheel locks
    front splash guards
    its a demo - they didn't tell me how many miles. i hope its way below 10k.
    They want sticker for 08.
    I called another dealership in another region - 100 miles away. 1200-1300 below sticker for an 07 EX (they have like 7 left).
    My fiance wants (loves) the new CR-V. Used ones are just as expensive, sometimes more! (if they are certified). Any advice? Thanks!
    Exactly, that's just your opinion which added nothing of value to the conversation. :confuse:

Why should I care what you think as opposed to saving nearly $400?

That'll be a couple of month's worth of gas!
    Once again I value your objective/factual input.

Thanks a bunch! ;)
    Thanks for your input and the tip; I'll check them out as well.

I'm pretty hands-on, so I'll do what I can myself.
    But I won't mess with any electrical components, especially on a brand new vehicle.

I'm sure I'll find an open-minded car dealer that's willing to work with me . . .

Trin
    Hi,

I was considering a gently used Honda Certified CRV too, but found the same as you--the prices are too high for a used vehicle.

So I decided to just by new (since the cars retain their value so well anyway). For 2007, The best quote that I received was $200 above invoice (in the Northeast area). I've heard of others purchasing at or below invoice.

I would suggest you try to negotiate an attractive deal on a new 2007.

Finalize your negotiations prior to going into the dealership. Then go into the dealership at the end of the month (on a rainy day, if possible) to make your deal. This is the strategy that I plan to use. If you try it, let me know how it works out for you.

Thanks, Trin
    I am waiting for my company car - and I am just trying to get things warmed up now. If the right deal comes, I will try to sell/trade my car (if the money is right!)
    End of the month? I just missed that! I am gonna look at 06-07 Rav4 as well - those look nice too.
    I wonder how long 08 will be at sticker (incase I cant find an 07 by the time I get serious)
  • bobby350zbobby350z Member Posts: 7
    Any ideas as to what the OTD price (including taxes and everything) that I might have to pay?
  • raleighmattraleighmatt Member Posts: 6
    I priced at all the major R-D dealers, Leith Honda, Auto Park Honda, and Crown. None were even close to Boyd. In fact, my best price came from Hoover Honda in Danville Virginia, and then Boyd matched that price and Boyd also had the exact car on the lot, whereas Hoover was going to have to trade for it, so that's the reason I went with Body. In fact, I like Hoover Honda better, I would contact them through the internet to get a price, Jonathan Hoover is the person that usually responds.

Leith Honda was stuck up and antagonistic about the whole thing, they were $1,000 more and acted like they were special or something. They also said they weren't going to sell the car for less when they could stick it to someone else for their (Leith's) price. "We can't keep these cars on the lot and if you won't pay OUR price, someone else will" was their position.

Auto Park Honda said "I don't have this car in stock". That was their entire response. Nothing like "I could find it for you, we could trade for it". Nothing. Just a basic "go away". So I did.
  • raleighmattraleighmatt Member Posts: 6
    kkucel, definitely try some of the dealers outside of Raleigh Durham, like Boyd Honda in Oxford, or even Hoover Honda in Danville, Virginia. Out of town dealers know that they need to nail it right off the bat in order to get your business otherwise you'll just move on, so they usually are upfront and honest and very fair with pricing from the start. The local dealers don't care, they think you'll be like most people and come to them out of convenience since they're closer. Personally, I'll drive 50 minutes for a $1,000 savings every time.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    This is very typical of the attitude I've found w/Leith as well over the last number of 'tries' at a purchase. I've always given them first opportunity to accept since they're the closest and would rather support the local business, but they're not even close pricewise to a reasonable structured offer.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I am interested in buying a 08 CR-V LX. I got a quote from a dealer for the drive out price for factory equipped CR-V. I think it is a good deal. But another dealer said they will charge me extra money for dealer accessories. My questions are: Dose a factory equipped CR-V have all necessary accessories? If so, why dealer install extra accessories and what are the accessories the deal may installed in the new car? Do I have to buy those accessories? Thanks.

There is such thing as factory equipped CR-V with roof racks, foglights, subwoofer, front mudflaps, or any other accesory item. They are all dealer installed, AFAIK.
    Thanks--this is helpful--why buy an 07 at $300 over invoice (their current offer) if 08s are at invoice??? Also, have you read about the issues with the AC compressor on this website with the 07s? Our local Madison-area dealer wanted $1000 over invoice for an 07 LX AWD. I think we live in the wrong area compared to others on this website who seem to be getting great deals! Anymore info you can share re your search will be of help. Bette
    I just read your message #5929 where you give more details and now I'm confused because in it you are saying Wilde Honda in Waukesha wants sticker for the 08s but in your reply to me you said they'd be at invoice. If Wilde is charging MSRP (sticker) then their current offer to us on an 07 at $300 over invoice looks pretty good. Can you clarify? THanks again.
    Have to jump in...

These do NOT have A/C compressor problems!!

I love it when isolated problems get overblown in these forums!