Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• majorhavocmajorhavoc Member Posts: 1
    2004 CR-V's are hard to come by in NY. The one I test drove was being picked up by it's owner. Supply appears to be constrained in this area of the country. So much for my target price of $500 over invoice. At least they didn't pour salt on the wound by sending me to the business manager for "special financing" or overpriced accessories. Paid $22,544 PLUS tax & tags. Ouch!
  • timhondatimhonda Member Posts: 24
    I had the same experience, having a hard time to make a good deal for a 2004 CRV. I used autotraders.com and found a good deal in Erie, Pa., but the tax rate here (8.25%) hurt. So, I found a 2003 EX one with 1400 miles on it through autotraders.com.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    A dealer who would allow a customer to test drive a car that was already sold and prepped for a different customer is shady indeed. Once bought and paid for, it belongs to the person who paid the bucks - the dealer is just holding it for them and shouldn't have allowed a potential customer to test drive it.
  • kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    that's the SHAME!
  • bluemalibu2000bluemalibu2000 Member Posts: 25
    Got my new satin silver CRV LX today. Sticker was 20,760.00. Got it for $19,120, with 2.9% Honda financing. Taylor's Honda in Athens Ohio - a first class dealership.
  • bharatbharat Member Posts: 1
    Help! I am Looking to buy a 2004 Honda EX CR-V automatic. Feedback needed in getting the BEST DEAL in Boston area. Any usefull information will be helpful.

THANKS
    Bharat
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    I purchased my cr-v two weeks ago at $700 over invoice. I chose to add some accessories - side steps, cargo cover, sun visor, front mud flaps, cargo tray, wheel locks - which did increase my overall cost, but I negotiated those as well. I shopped 4-5 dealers within the area (Phil/South Jersey) to get this price. Some dealers did not have a Man. Trans on lot or coming in, and were firm about their selling price and it was MSRP, "as they would have to order the vehicle." Although the dealership wasn't my first choice in service, they had the Chianti Red arriving sooner than they originally told me, and I had to negotiate hard to get the price that was right for me.
  • amtbooksamtbooks Member Posts: 11
    I just got an offer from a deal via internet, is this a good deal? Are there any tricks involved in online quotes?:

2004 Honda CR-V 4WD EX Auto
    Sale price: $20,831
    *Add $490 destination charge and $100 services fee.
    That sounds like a very good offer!!!!

I didn't buy mine through any internet prices I received, so are not aware of any possible tricks.

Where do you live?
    I live in Iowa, and the quote is from a Wisconsin dealer. Other dealers' quote are about $500-1000 higher than this one, is that too good to be true?
    From what I've heard, the price can vary depending on the area - & maybe the inventory at a particular dealer also affects it. Around here, the inventory is pretty slim for CR-Vs.

Since it is getting close to the end of the month, I think you have a great deal possible. You could even try to see if they throw in a few accessories, if you are interested in any of them.

The great thing about getting it over the internet - you can print it out - isn't just a verbal. Do you have a preferred color - and do they have that on the lot?
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    I just talked with my insurance company yesterday (USAA). They only service retired military and their families for insurance. BUT, they also have a credit union that is offering really good new and used auto loans. We just re-fied our CR-V and went from 4.9 to 3.9. It only cost us $18 in mailing fees and $15 in State of Michigan fees. It'll save us $8 a month and tons on back end interest.

If you're looking for a new car loan or are stuck with a higher interest loan, check them out.

www.usaa.com
  • santoshsantosh Member Posts: 2
    I live in bay-area and in a market to buy a CRV-LX FWD.I got a quote at $17500.Is it a good price.Have anyone bought near or down this price.
    Not sure which bay you are near, and assuming that price quote is for an Automatic LX 2wd, I'd grab it - that is invoice. Are they going to add destination on top of that? Or just tags, tax, title?
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    icvci: You forgot about the ACTIVE DUTY military folks that USAA covers! They also have a subsidiary that insures dependents and former dependents, so if anyone in your family has ever been in the military you should give them a call and see if you are eligible for insurance through them. They are consistently rated as one of the top service providers in the insurance industry by several sources, notably Consumer Reports, and their rates are very competitive. My father (retired), 3 brothers (1 who was active duty for 5 years and 2 who never served), and myself (retired also) all use USAA for insurance on our cars. Very good company.
  • northwest1northwest1 Member Posts: 65
    What dealer did you get your quote from? I also am interested to know if this quote includes destination as well. Did you trade in a vehicle as part of this deal? Also, is your CRV 2WD deal for one with or without side airbags? Thanks!
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    Sorry about that. You're correct. They insure my cars and are about to insure my home. Great premiums and great service. My home owners is dropping about $300 a year. Auto is already $700 cheaper than anyone else will gve me.

PS Thanks for serving. (I didn't.) My father-in-laws did though.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    What I like about them is that they don't cancel your policy after an accident. Some companies do.
  • garygglgaryggl Member Posts: 12
    First, thanks to all of the folks who shared their buying experiences. It really helped me determine my target price as well as how I should approach the dealers.

I started out by test driving comparable vehicles and ignoring the salespeople when asked, "What would it take to get your business today?" I simply took notes on each vehicle and determined that the CR-V was the best suited for my needs. I also figured out what options that I wanted and set my price range before I took the next step.

I waited until the last weekend before the end of the month, fired up the computer at 8am, and used Edmund's internet quote service. I already knew that I had four Honda dealerships within easy driving distance and that there should be some competition. I requested in my e-mail that I wanted an itemized price breakout with a final Out-the-Door price. I also stated in my e-mail that the dealers who followed my instructions to the letter along with having the lowest OTD price would contacted for round 2. One dealer didn't follow instructions - "I will beat your best price" is an old school sales game that I would not tolerate - these folks let the other dealers do the hard work and then try to bid just slightly lower at the end - not honest in my book. Round two was just a series of e-mails between myself and the three final dealerships to ensure that each quote was comparable and get any final questions answered.

I had other things going on this day, so at 2pm I sent an e-mail to the three dealers for their "best and final offer" by 5pm, and said that I would buy my vehicle that day at 6pm. Two out of three held to their original prices; however, the third came in $320 under invoice and I bought my CR-V that day. The price breakout was as follows: $21,000 (CR-V plus freight); $299 Appearance Package (pin stripes, mud flaps, locking lugs, etc.); $664.17 (State & County Taxes); $39.50 (Tags). OTD Grand Total: $22,002.67.

The internet auctioning was far better than dealing directly with the salespeople. I could look over everything at my pace and make the next move when I wanted to. A great experience and that red Honda sure looks good in the driveway!
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The Motley Fools (financial advisor group) use a very similar method. It'll get you the best price, but the winner is often the dealer who happens to have what you want in stock. If that's all you want, do it.

On the other hand, it doesn't give you a great impression of what the dealer will be like if there's a problem with your vehicle, or if you plan on having it serviced at the dealer.

Anyway... Congrats on your new CR-V!
    Sigh... I already knew that three out of five dealers had the CR-V on the lot... like I said, I did my homework. Hendricks Honda has a great service reputation and I feel totally comfortable with their operation. However, since I do have two other Honda dealerships nearby, I can always pick and choose my servicing dealer.

Life in my Honda is grand!
    Yes, you either love' em or hate' em. However, I want to know who has the best price on a 7 year/75K $0 deductible extended warranty on a CR-V. I tried doing a search on this site, but most of the hits are irrelevant.

Any good leads???
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might try the Extended Warranties discussion.

tidester, host
  • deedee Member Posts: 1
    I am totally new in this game. Please help me get a good deal on either a Honda CRV LX or Honda Civic EX in the Austin/Dallas Texas areas. I have been offered 18800 for the CRV- is that good??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Tips & Advice articles while waiting for responses.

Steve, Host
    tidster: I did an extended warranty search and nothing came up. When I bought my Odyssey, I found e-mails that listed up to 10 dealerships as well as the quoted prices for extended warranties. I'm just trying to cut down on some time. Any help is appreciated.
  • tommydtommyd Member Posts: 10
    This is the quote I received via Internet for a FWD 2004 LX. Question: Good deal, or what?

$ 19,490.00.......Retail Price
    $ 18,398.00.......Your Special Internet Price
    $ 19,319.49.......Your Total Out the Door Price
    NOTE: Your Total Out-the-Door Price includes:
    Freight charges
    Applicable Virginia tax, title and license fees
    Dealer processing fees
    Your Price also includes the DEALER NAME Value Package which includes:
    Door Edge Guards
    Wheel Well Guards
    Pin Stripes
    Mud Flaps
    Floor Mats (where applicable)
    Wheel Locks (where applicable)
    Colors available:Mojave Mist, Chianti Red, Satin Silver
  • beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    Does anyone know if there is one in the works???
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Did you buy a CR-V or a Pilot??

tidester, host
    I dumped it - two identical posts I can tolerate but more is spam :-)

Steve, Host
  • tommydtommyd Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking I could get the quote down to at least 19000 OTD. Not a bad deal, at all. I'll post when I buy to provide feedback on the sale.
    Honda's did not sell as well as expected in March. Several of us on this board have gotten deals $300 to $500 under invoice for CR-V's. Have the dealer start with the invoice price and have him build it up to the $19319.49, not down from the retail. Check posting #656 under CR-V prices paid and some of the others as references. It looks like a good deal; however, I bet you can get them down to $19K flat or better. The math should go like this: $18046 Invoice (w/dest.), appearance package $299 or so (you could do it yourself cheaper, but no biggie), $550.35 VA tax, PW county tax $36, 1yr tags $40. That should get you around $18971. Have the dealer spell out the charges and compare them. See where the fluff is and talk them down. IF you are in Fairfax or Prince William county, send an e-mail to Hendrick's Honda in Woodbridge. Good Hunting!
  • matthew633matthew633 Member Posts: 26
    I purchased my CR-V EX on 12/29/03 for $500 below invoice. You may want to refer to my posts #570, #542, and #527 for some things that worked for me in negotiating the deal.

One note, I suggest you find out if there's still a dealer holdback (was $670 in December) and deduct this amt. from the invoice as a place to start your negotiations. Best regards.
    Checking those numbers today for an EX - it is $677 for the AT and $653 for the MT.
    I had checked edmunds website for Wisconsin area, there is no incentive for CRV, could you tell me where to get these numbers? Thank you.
    I'm sure you can get amount of the dealer holdback elsewhere, but I got the number from the Consumer Report invoice that I purchased for $12.
    The sales for Honda had dropped by 4.8% in March vs. 30%+ increase by Nissan, so I guess it is time for Honda to sweeten its deals to lure buyers.

PS. According to messg #556, Host said that we could find holdback information in edmunds.com, could Host show me where to get this information? Thank you.
    Here's the link:

Dealer Holdback

If you don't want to read the article, Honda's holdback is 3% of the base MSRP.

Steve, Host
    Thank you for providing the link.

So holdback is not a periodic incentive from manufacturer to dealer, but a long-term pricing strategy, right? That means, CR-V always has 3% of the base MSRP holdback no matter when. Thank you.
    yes, it is part of the long term pricing strategy. Although, I found that the salesperson/sales mgr wanted to brush it aside since it isn't part of their profit.

It is part of the profit of the dealership, perhaps not of the individual selling the vehicle. I did not ignore this amt in negotiations - still factored it in while doing my calculations from invoice up (while they insisted sticker down).
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Going after a dealer's holdback won't endure you to a dealer. Holdback ***helps*** pay for flooring and advertising. It is far from bottom line profit.

CRV's are not distressed merchandise and are difficult to even keep in stock at least in my neck of the woods.

So don't be surprised if a below invoice offer doesn't work for you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Some may get the below invoice deals, but CRVs don't seem to be like Accords... You may travel far and wide, and still not do better than $500 over invoice. And, I'll make this point before ISELL does, it is still a great deal at $22K.

The spread on CRVs is only about $1500 between invoice and MSRP. You should be able to get $1K off sticker, but you might spend a long time getting any lower than that, and some dealers just won't deal on them.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 3rdpath3rdpath Member Posts: 8
    i guess it just depends on your location. crv's in southern california are relatively easy to get for under invoice.

i simply used the edmunds internet bid page and within a day had four offers...all below invoice. without any haggling or dealer shopping whatsoever, i bought a 2004 crv-ex auto for $21,100 plus TTL. after setting an appointment with the dealer, i walked in, signed some papers, wrote a check and drove the new car home.

too easy.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It's a miserable, cutthroat market down there! Screamer ads, games get played, it's disgusting. I've seen the full page "screamer" ads.

Nothing would surprise me!

Craig...born and raised in San Pedro
  • frenchfrench Member Posts: 5
    Dealership has offered a 2004 EX automatic for $21,700 w "dealer installed options". Options are mud guard, wheel locks, pin stripe and door edge guards.

This is before tax, tags and processing fee. Processing fee is $99.
    I don't have the current invoice but back in Dec.'03 the base invoice for a 2004 CR-V EX was $20,830 plus $490 destination fee = $21,320. From this I deducted dealer holdback and offered $20,643 as a start point. Ended paying apx. $20,800 + TTL.

According to my info. it looks like they're charging you apx. $1,000-$1,000 for these add-ons. Sounds high to me. I thought about buying mud guards initially but haven't missed them a bit. I bought the all weather mats after the sale. There's also some great deals on accessories on line. Good luck.
    THANK YOU! I really appreciate you responding to me. I ended up getting roof rack, wheel locks, mud guards, pin striping, door guards and fog lights for $22,000. I paid more than you, but hopefully not by an insane amount. I would have bought it at $23,500 if you hadn't responded. This is the first time ever I've come close to making a deal. I know they still made money, but at least they didn't take me to the cleaners.
    That sounds pretty good. the roof rack and the fog lights are a higher dollar item and to have the dealer install can be the best solution.

Congrats on the V!
    I just wanted to say thank you to Matthew again, and thank you bshel for responding. And ohmygod...I'm a CRV owner!! I'm so friggin excited. Bought it, got it home, and after DH wrote the $7,000 downpayment check, realized he hadn't even driven it yet. So me, Skid (step kid) and DH went for a drive, with DH driving. He loves it, too. He's bummed, because he knows he won't be driving it any time soon :)

I'm so excited...I just want to drive tonight. But I know I must sleep. Bought it with 7 miles on it!

I'M SO EXCITED.

Do you know, if it wasn't for this site, I would have definitely been taken for so much more.

THANK YOU everyone on this site, and especially this thread.
  • angkaysangkays Member Posts: 3
    a couple weeks ago my father borrowed my 2000 CR-V (had less than a year to pay it off), was in an accident & totalled it... i was extrememly upset, but once i realized how much it was still worth, that changed as i saw that i could buy a brand new one & pay it off in less than 3yrs!
    so, i checked around on all these websites & got a dealer down to $21,570 on a 2004 EX, $1,295 for leather (at cost), $355 for heated seats (at cost), no extra fees (like documentation fee or destination charge), just the 6% sales tax & $1.25 tire tax.. came to $24,614 (Out-the-door price) -$200 for going with this dealer (they said they'd beat any other dealer's price to get my business). So i'm only paying $24,414.

now, i'm just wishing i could get the stearing wheel stereo control.. how much does that usually cost to get installed (if possible)?