Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• quinticquintic Member Posts: 4
    what is the average time for a car to be sold from the time it arrived dealer's parking lot? If I see a CRV that has destination charge $635 on it. which means it has been there for over a month, and the dealer hasn't been able to sell it. Am I right?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I wouldn't know what the average time is between delivery to the dealer and selling the car. I'm not sure what your real concern is - paying a higher/lower destination fee or the age of the vehicle. Or would you be thinking of getting some negotiating leverage because you think the car isn't moving?

You may be interested in the Buying Tips - How Do I Get the Best Deal? discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mquillenmquillen Member Posts: 71
    The $25,331 price is a pretty fair price. I show dealer invoice on that vehicle was $25,456 at the time, so the price is closer to $125 below invoice. I'm curious as to why CR shows invoice to be $125 higher. What DOC fees were you charged on the transaction?
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    Primary consumer interest at Honda dealers over the last 60 days has been for the Civic Hybrid, Civic gas only, Fit and Accord.

YTD CR-V sales are up 1.3% over the same time last year, however for the month of June 08 compaired to the month of June 07, CR-V sales were down 9.9%.

What that means is the travel rate on CR-V's, which used to be less then 15 days is now around 45-60 days. Still far better then most other brands.

SOURCE: http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=772594
  • heyw00dheyw00d Member Posts: 10
    Yours are close. I bought my car from clinton, NJ. Paid following ..

DMV - $25.50 (transfer old plates and registration) otherwise $250
    Tire fee - $7.50 (mandatory in NJ)
    Docs - $197
    Tax - 7% NJ Tax
  • speedracer007speedracer007 Member Posts: 33
    I saw an ad on TV last night for the "Honda Clearance Event". We have the CR-V on our short list of cars, so I was interested in what the big specials are. Going to the website listed, all I saw where some lease specials. Nothing else was different from what they where showing a month ago. There is nothing listed on Edmunds for incentives on CR-Vs. Being that CR-V sales are down 10% from last year, I am wondering if there will be any rebates.

I emailed a couple of dealers in the area and got some responses. Here was the best:

CR-V, LX, AWD $21,100

This is only $60 over Invoice ($95 assuming the car has the $635 Destination instead of the newer $670). I am doubting the dealership is selling for that cheap, so I think there is some extra cash back that I am missing (in addition to the standarde dealer holdback). Any thoughts? :confuse:
    First off, your information is wrong. CRV sales are up 1.3% over the same time YTD last year. Last month however, June 08 - June 07 sales volume was down 9.9%.

Next, CRV is still selling very well on it's own merit, therefore Honda does not see a need to place an incentive on them - not to the dealer or the consumer with a special APR.

There are pockets in this country where supply is exceeding demand. Honda works on an "earn and turn" inventory management system -- the more you sell, the more cars from the factory you earn. So to get the premuim cars (Civics and Fits) you have to sell CR-V's. I'm sure some dealers are more then willing to start discounting CR-V's to invoice or better (in the Minneapolis area, all six dealers are pretty much at or just below invoice).
    Yes I should have been clearer on my sales figures -- I saw the same information as you show (Up 1.3% YTD, down 9.9% for June). I am guessing the gas $$$ is starting to effect even the CR-V.

The main thing I am wondering is if there was anything special about the "Honda Clearance Event". (That ad with that cartoon guy Mr. Opportunity). I don't see anything different than what Honda was offering a month ago (low loan rates on Accords, etc...)

Maybe what you are saying about supply exceeding demand is right for where I live (Northern Alabama) The Edmunds TMV does show a -$170 Regional Adjustment. I still have to wonder when I look at the numbers (with $635 Destination Fee):

Invoice: $21,005
    TMV: $21,421
    Dealer Quote: $21,100
    Speedracer, what DOC fees are they trying to charge you at your quoted price--Ct is unregulated on DOC fees. Right now it's pretty easy to get below dealer invoice in Ohio, if it's a plentiful model. Ohio, however, does have a $250 doc fee, most of which the dealer pockets. At dealer invoice, with a $250 doc fee and the holdback, the dealer is still making over $800 on the car (not including accessories). Some Ohio dealers are claiming a $100 advertising fee, but I haven't been able to confirm that.
  • 312capri312capri Member Posts: 8
    There were no other fees. Took the "certificate of origin" and dealers invoice to the NM Department of Motor Vehicles and registered the CR-V!
  • 312capri312capri Member Posts: 8
    I've noticed that the dealers both in Las Cruces and Alamogordo NM and the two Honda dealers in El Paso TX seem to put all of there Honda vehicles on sale --- except for the Honda CR-V.
    mquillen, Not sure what the Doc Fees are. I got 2 separate emails from the dealer this morning. First gave me a quote of $21,100. The second email, which was a response to my question if Destination charges were included, stated "yes, but not tax, title & lic. Your out the door price is $22,626". I am still trying to get an understanding of how the taxes work in Alabama (some city taxes are higher than in county areas). What is my tax rate if I buy the car across the border in Tennessee? I am sure Alabama will want taxes when I register, just not sure what my rate will be.
  • skymmskymm Member Posts: 1
    hey jred121, do you mind to share the dealership name?

Thanks
    OK, I got the breakdown from a different dealer last night on my Fees:

Cost $21583
    Out the Door $22964

Doc Fee is $399.50
    Vehicle Rec $189 (Window Etch, Supplemental Ins)
    Title $16.57
    Tax $766

Dealer said the Vehicle Rec Fee is optional.

Tax does vary depending on where you buy it. In their city, it is 3.5%. The next city over with a Honda dealership is 4%. However, I live in the county -- so if I go 15 miles north across the border into Tennessee, I would only pay the county tax rate when I register -- 2.75%. That can amount to $200 - $250 difference in my out of pocket expenses. So it looks like I will be requesting some quotes from dealers in Tennessee. ;)
    speedracer, it seems they're doing a bit of bait and switch doesn't it. First they quote a price of $21,100, then they tell you $22,626 OTD, and finally they end up with $22,964 OTD, with a base selling price of $21,583. Any base selling price over invoice, $21,040, for an '08 LX AWD at this late date is too much, especially with a $399 doc fee (dealer profit) tacked on top of it. So the total dealer gross profit on this deal is holdback $657 + $543 over invoice + $399 DOC fee= $1,599 gross profit. That's a lot on any '08 in my opinion.
    mquillen -- Once again, I should have made myself clearer -- it was a different dealer who gave me the numbers I quoted. But the point remains the same -- too much profit in my opinion. Plus, I am going to go on the assumption that Honda will eventually offer cash back / rebates on the CR-V. The worst thing that will happen is no rebates and then the 2009s will roll into the lot and I will buy a 2009. :shades:
    speedracer, I think you're exactly right. I'd rather pay a reasonable profit over invoice for a 2009 than pay invoice for a vehicle that is going to be a year old in about 2 months. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Honda dealer pricing at those dealers that have multiple lines (brands). Honda is about the only bright spot in a dismal automotive market. I suspect some of these dealers with a lot of slower moving lines might try to make it up ( their profits) on Hondas.
  • chenscapechenscape Member Posts: 3
    I live in mid-west (TN). Here is my best price from all the quote. What do you think of this price from an FWD, EX-L honda CRV? Thank you. :)

23,713$ is the basic price, I have to pay TTL.
  • laiwlaiw Member Posts: 9
    I got quote for $21,879+TTL for CRV EX 2WD at DFW area. It is $100 below invoice price (including destination fee). Is it good deal?
    chenscape, that's a good price on a vehicle that seems to be hard to find in some regions (FWD w/leather). Given that it is only about $100 over dealer's cost (not invoice, but actual cost). I've got to wonder if the dealer is going to try to make some money on the doc fees or other charges--let us know.
    Seems like an OK deal The dealer is only making about $553 gross profit, which isn't much given no mfr incentives...at least not yet. How hard did you have to negotiate to get that price? In some areas such as the south, this is a plentiful model. Up north there aren't as many 2WD CR-V's, and some dealers try to discount them only $700 or $800 below the AWD units, which makes no sense from a buyer's perspective.
  • phxboyseagrlphxboyseagrl Member Posts: 2
    I've been shopping around for a few days now and there don't seem to be many incentives for the CRV in the seattle area. Following is the best quote I have until now - $22,888+TTL

I'm also looking for an extended warrenty for which I was quoted $1326 (3 year extended warrenty bumper to bumper)

The vehicle is costing me $26,700 OTD w/warrenty. Is this a good deal?
  • ecoplinecoplin Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD today for $26,532 which was the drive out price. That included all weather mats and brushguards ($900 value) that they threw in for free.

The tax in my county is 7%. I have searched many different dealerships and this was the best price I could get. What do you think???
    Is there usually mfr for CRV? Even with the tough economy and high gas price, I don't know whether there will ever be a mfr for CRV.
    Whats an "mfr"?
  • hotstick12hotstick12 Member Posts: 5
    I dont know if i can ask this question here on a crv lease but.....,could u tell me if this is a good lease deal on a 2008 Honda CRV EX ?This was my deal i got down too! 309 a month x 39 months....nothing down except 1st month and DMV fees(taxes and everthing esle was rolled into the lease)??This was at Atlantic Honda in Bayshore, Ny on Long Island?? What do u think?? Thanks in advance!!!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Doesn't matter what anyone thinks, it's already in your driveway. Enjoy your ride! Great car.
  • efpat2efpat2 Member Posts: 11
    Just got a quote from Garden State Honda for $25350 this includes destination charge but not tax, registration or doc fee. This my best quote so far for the EX-L AWD. It puts it under Edmunds invoice by about $140 bucks and this was the opening offer.

Anyone have a better quote or actual sale in northern NJ/PA or southern NY area?
    Thanks.
  • chenscapechenscape Member Posts: 3
    Obviously the dealer's profit is from the "dealer fee" in my quote. I tried to talk to the guy to reduce that number. After He talk to his manager, he still gave me this number. So guess that my be his bottom line. Anyway, I live in TN and I don't think AWD is necessary and it will cost you 1mpg comparatively vs FWD. :)
    Just that the dealer is 7 hours of drive away, I am not sure if it's worthwhile to spend the gas on. I will want local dealers to match it! that will be the best.
  • yuxuanyangyuxuanyang Member Posts: 7
    Hi Ecoplin,

Are you in NJ area? If so, can you tell me which dealer you went to get this deal? This deal looks pretty awesome to me.
    manufacture rebate
  • spaceonespaceone Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know if I have to fill out the "Credit Application" form at the car dealer when I pay for the car by cashier check (financed through my bank)? Can I refuse to fill that form out since I do not go through the finance from car dealer? Would that form is required for DMV's or any other purposes? Car dealer insisted that I need to fill out that form. Thank you.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    You might want to post that question in the smart shopper section, just click the browse by board and you'll see the smart shopper section, seems I recall they have a section where that is discussed.
    chenscape, so we all can understand, what was the dealer fee? There's nothing wrong with a reasonable profit for the dealer. I agree with your take on FWD vs AWD. It's lighter, a little better fuel mileage (1 mpg highway), and a bit less maintenance. The fact is most people really don't need AWD. Is it a nice feature? Yes. Is it necessary for everyone? Definitely not. In a culture of "more is better" and "wanting the best," we sometimes get blinded as to what we really need. Although the AWD maintains its resale value of $1200, why tie those funds up if you don't need to (about $23/month over 60 mos). The frustration for some of us up in the northern climes, where there are fewer FWD CR-V's, is that dealers are not discounting them as much because there are fewer units. Consequently, AWD for an additional $600 or $700 is a bit more reasonable given that it gets $1200 more at resale. I too am looking for a FWD CR-V. For me, if the dealer isn't going to give me a reasonable deal on a 2008 FWD, I'll wait for the 2009's and/or find another dealer.
    mguillen, What do you think is a reasonable deal for a 2008 EX-L AWD? Thanks.
    efpat
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,051
    The car dealer wants backup, in case that cashiers check is no good.. Besides having credit in place in case of a bad check.. they want to check your credit to see the likelihood that the check is good in the first place..

If you don't want to fill out the form, then give them the check and wait two weeks for it to clear.. then go pickup your car..

Most people just fill out the form..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

efpat, that's difficult to answer. First, reasonable means different things to different people, and it also depends on your region of the country and how many units are available for sale. Further clouding the issue is the fact that 2009's are just around the corner. Apparently you are in the New Jersey area, and in a prior post you said you got a quote for $25,350, which is about $140 below invoice. I consider that reasonable, but what were the doc fees, which is also part of the dealer profit--New Jersey has no limit on those. We would need to know that to get an idea of the total price of the vehicle. I've seen invoice price in the midwest for 2WD EX-L with leather, but they are indeed scarce. For a 4WD EX-L, which is more plentiful, invoice should be very doable at this late date in the model year, and some here have bettered that, apparently. If you need a vehicle, and a dealer has the color and trim that you want, I certainly wouldn't let a couple hundred dollars sway my decision. Althought Honda of America Mfg. doesn't have steel contracts coming due for the 2009 model year, it has been reported that some steel companies are trying to add various surcharges that will significantly impact pricing. Honda is usually great at keeping a lid on cost increases, but they can only do so much in this inflationary economy in which we find ourselves.
    mguillen,
    Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. I didn't bother to get a complete quote because I was in a rush. I am also not ready to buy until early or mid August. Some other NJ dealers are charging $199 for docs. I also realize the choices will go down as the model year runs out. The salesman at the dealer said the 2009 CRVs will arrive in September but could not say exactly when. Do you have any idea. Also, just curious, your comment about steel contracts shows an unusual depth of knowledge - are you in the business? efpat
    efpat, I really don't know when Honda will officially release the 2009's for sale, but you'll usually see them in the back lots of dealerships well before the official kickoff date. Honda starts producing them right after their July holiday shutdown. I have a bit of insight into the industry as I used to work for a major manufacturer in their purchasing division. You can probably guess which one, lol.
  • ecoplinecoplin Member Posts: 2
    I bought the car in Atlanta, GA. Do you think I got a good deal????
  • doc0704doc0704 Member Posts: 2
    I am new to the forum and looking for help purchasing the 2008 Honda CR-V EX 2WD. I have been in contact with several fleet/internet depts in the PHX area through Cars.com. So far I have been quoted $22,528, $22,436, and $22,000 (these $ only include the destination charge). How can I get them down further? What other fees are there and how much should they be (doc, dmv, tire)? Thank you!
  • beaker1966beaker1966 Member Posts: 6
    I'm considering a quote from Herb Chambers Honda in Boston. It's $23,479 OTD. Here's the breakdown:

$22,000 (base price including destination fee)
    $1,100 (5% Mass. tax)
    $379 (doc./plates/registration)

Based on Edmunds and others, this looks good to me. A bit easier than I thought though. Any comments?
    That $22K price is about $400 below actual dealer cost (inclusive of holdback). The doc might be a bit high, but the dealer needs to make money somewhere, and I don't see where they are making anything on this deal. Some of the numbers I'm seeing makes me wonder if there might be some hidden incentives going on, or the dealer is trying to get you into the showroom for the big switcheroo. Most likely you found a dealer experiencing a dismal July (everyone in Boston goes to the Cape, right?) and they're getting nervous with too many 2008's on hand. Please let us know how the final transaction goes.
  • bugg2008bugg2008 Member Posts: 7
    $22,479 OTD seems like a very good price, as I have been obtaining quotes online in the north of boston area all week as well as western MA. (I decided to go for the EXL AWD $25,000 with dest. $26,653 OTD and dealer was willing to find the color I wanted as they had very little on their lot.) I obtained over 10 quotes just for the fun of it-some were serious, some were nowhere close to a good price and one wouldn't give a quote on line.

Here's what I suggest you when you are ready to actually buy as it worked great for me:
    Take 2 of your very best quotes to the dealer that you prefer to do business with and not necessarily the one with the lowest quote) and tell them, and this is important, that you are prepared to buy a car today from THEM right now, and that you will if they can significantly beat the quotes that you have and get you the color vehicle that you want.. I did this going in with a quote of $25K without dest which happens to be a decent quote and they "ate" the dest and said they would go 25k WITH the dest. It was a done deal for me.
    I didn't have a trade so that simplified it. I also had my financing in place before I went but told them if they could beat the rate I would go with their financing.

Believe me, if they know that you are serious about buying that day and that you have done your homework you stand a very good chance of getting the deal that you hoped for. If you can wait to the last week of the month, all the better. They are really trying to move the 08's before the 09's come out..

thetwo best quotes came from Commonwealth Honda, Lawrence Ma and Atamian Honda,Tewsksbury, MA They were both super to deal with online, no pressure and no phone calls. There didn't inundate me with follow up emails, either.
    Good Luck and let us know how you made out!
    bugg2008 wrote:
    $22,479 OTD seems like a very good price...

Just so there's no confusion, beaker's OTD price was quoted at $23,479, not $22,479, for a 2008 CR-V EX AWD, which seems to be excellent if it transacts at that price. Regardless, bugg, you did a nice negotiation on your EX-L AWD, and provided some good tips.
    mquillen -- Thought you would be interested in this breakdown. This was from one of the dealers who had originally sent me a quote that I then asked for an Out the Door Price. Pretty easy to see where they are trying to make their extra profit. That $499 Doc Fee is way too high. At least Alabama taxes are cheap :P

$21,100 + doc fee $499 + anti theft etching $299 + sales tax $711.68 + title fee $16.50 = $22,626.18

When I inquired about the anti theft etching, the salesman said "We etch all of our cars, however we can omit the cost to you if you do not want it."

I will get serious about negotiating if Honda offers some cash back on 2008s. Otherwise it just makes sense to wait for Sept-Oct and get a 2009. Has anyone seen anything listing any changes for the 2009s? I am sure they will be minor, but it would be nice to know what they are (if any).
  • doc0704doc0704 Member Posts: 2
    How do you find out an estimate for sales tax? I live in AZ and think sales tax is 5.6% from my research. Do you need to add city sales tax for where you buy it? The dealerships I have contacted have just given me the base price or the base with destination fee. Will they provide an OTD price through e-mail? Where do you get an estimate for a reasonable doc fee? Thanks!
    I was able to get a couple of OTD prices through email. In fact, what I had in my post was a copy/paste from the dealership. As far as sales tax, I am sure it varies how it works state to state. I found the new vehicle tax rate on the website for the County I live in doing a search on "registering a car". In AL, there is a state tax of 2% and then you would pay the city tax rate for where the dealership is located. For me, the nearest dealership is in Huntsville, which has a city tax of 2% for a total tax of 4%. Now the tax that was quoted to me in the above post was from a different dealership a little further away which has a city tax of 1.25% for a total tax of 3.25%. What I was curious about was "what if I bought a car out of state? what would be my total tax? When I register the vehicle, I would pay the 2% state tax, and then .75% tax based on my residence (I live in the County) for a total tax of 2.75%. Since I live about 15 miles from the Tenn. border, it is certainly something for me to consider. Even .5% less in tax is $110 on a $22K vehicle.

Reasonable doc fee? I don't really know what is reasonable. One dealership that gave me the lowest initial quote wanted $499 doc fee (see above). A different dealership that had a little bit higher initial quote wanted a $299 doc fee. Definitely reply to the emails you got requesting an OTD price with a breakdown of fees. Thats what I did and both dealerships replied the same day. When I questioned the anti-theft etching fee ($299 -- almost pure profit for them), they both said they could get rid of that fee.

Boy my fingers are tired from typing :sick:
  • beaker1966beaker1966 Member Posts: 6
    Follow up: I got a copy of the sales agreement sent to me today. Price listed ($23,479) is shown as final price. Just waiting for the financing check and I should be going in tomorrow or Friday to finish paperwork and then pick up the CR-V the next day.

Since the deal was relatively easy, I am (of course) thinking I should have either pushed the dealer more or shopped the deal around first. But I don't think I would have been able to get much lower than I got...another $250 - $500 wouldn't have been worth the time and energy. I'm happy where I ended up.
  • divotman04divotman04 Member Posts: 4
    I am ready to start getting quotes on a new CR-V EX-L 4WD. Most sites list the "Invoice" around $24800 + dest so you're looking at "dealer cost" of $25470. If those numbers are correct & holdback is only on the $24800 they're already making $496 on the sale w/o doc fee. Is that correct thinking?
    What is "fair profit" to assume a dealer should make on a sale? $400? $600? Is it taboo to mention the 2% holdback and call them out on doc fees being a fancy word for profit?
    I want to get a good deal but don't want to put them on the defensive too much.