Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fasttexfasttex Member Posts: 24
    To all,
    I would like to offer my apology if it seemed that I was using this as anything other than a pricing forum. All I meant to say was, walk into a delership prepared after doing your research and have as much ammunition to negotiate with. The salesperson generally does more negotiating with the sales managers than with the buyer. If the buyer is prepared, reasonable, polite and committed to make a purchase, it is very easy to get that "Great Deal" on a vehicle with both parties happy. I consider it a victory when the customer gets a good deal. My best car buying experience ever was at CarMax where there is no negotiating, and this may be a great model for the future of the business. :):):):)
  • mn2010hondacrvmn2010hondacrv Member Posts: 1
    I have been going though the process of deciding, researching, pricing, and finally purchasing this vehicle for months and it's a relief for it to be complete.

Purchase price was $26,799 +TTL and a $75 doc fee. I also purchased the cargo mat, cargo net, front splash guards, and all-season mats at cost.

From the search I did around the Twin Cities, I believe I got a fair price. I ended up purchasing my CRV from Brookdale Honda in Brooklyn Park, MN. This is the same place I purchased my 2001 Honda Civic in 2001. I had also done my service there for many years.

I moved closer to Hopkins Honda and have been getting service there for my Honda Civic for the past 2-3 years. After I had gotten several bids from local dealers, I tried again to go to Hopkins Honda for a better offer. They would only sell the CRV at MSRP which I thought to be very insulting especially since every other local dealer is quoting much closer to invoice. I wanted to continue getting my service at that location and thought my repeat business would be encouraged my a reasonable offer. I was really disappointed by what I thought to be poor customer service and asked the internet sales person with whom I was corresponding by email to submit my offer to the sales manager. She located my phone numbers (work and cell) in their database and called me to discuss vehicle pricing at MSRP. I will no longer do business with Hopkins Honda based on their poor business and principle.

Sooo... I will now be returning my service business to Brookdale Honda.

I should also mention that I really wanted the tango red exterior color. That color in this model has been difficult to find in my area. This complicated my dealings even more. Still Brookdale came through with their end of the deal and completed a dealer trade for the same price. My new car was towed on a flatbed on Monday and I got it Monday night. There were some aspects of the deal that could have been better (like the pushy finance guy and making sure the accessories we had in our deal were available before the parts department closed -- I still have to pick these up).

That sums up my experience in the Twin Cities.
  • nbdeucenbdeuce Member Posts: 22
    I'm supporting your Honda dealership with my tax dollars(cash for clunkers). I'm forking over $560 to have my power window repaired(warranty just expired). And I need to wear kid gloves the next time I go shopping for an automobile.....spare me!
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    It's a tough crowd in here, even the old vet of these forums isell generally avoids this area and sticks to the smart shopper section :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Back to prices paid, please...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day.

We purchased a new CRV EX all wheel drive for approximately $23,500.00 before taxes all dealer fees included.

The new CRV is light years ahead of the competitors regarding fit and finish as well as styling. It am amazing how well everything is assembled. This is our third CRV.

However there is a more exciting entry for 2011 to be released in Feb, 2010. The new Hyundai Tucson looks absolutely fantastic and will make the competition look very long in the tooth.

The 2011 Tucson is rated for 30 mpg highway. I may buy this one for myself.
  • rroaerroae Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2010 Honda CRV LX today. Traded our 2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4 with 51k in good shape along with $7k out the door. My wife was happy. I wanted a truck.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Not a dealer or salesman, just a car buyer/consumer who's been on this site for years and gets tired of seeing salesman get "bashed" for no good reason, esp when some are here to help. What really galls me is someone who has been here for a short period of time and starts in unfairly..... :mad:

BTW, your apologies are accepted by all!.... ;)
  • mets23mets23 Member Posts: 1
    I am in CT. I put down a deposit on a 2009 EXL. The lowest price I could get them down to was 25,800 with a few extras like a roof rack. My payment would be (with $5000 down)

430 per month for 60 or 375 for 72 months.

Sound about right?
  • jwb18tjwb18t Member Posts: 45
    We bought a 2010 CRV EX today. Paid $25,144 + Tax and Title. Got the following dealer installed options included in the deal: All weather heavy duty mats, Cargo Liner, Fog Lights, Mud Guards, and Roof Rack.

We had looked for quite a bit of time and included this forum as well as the pricing calculator to be well prepared for the purchase. Thanks for providing that help. It was down to the new Outback and the CRV. Both are very nice vehicles. I guess it came down to past Honda experience. We have a 1998 Honda CRV EX that we bought new in the summer of 1997. It has been a very good vehicle in all ways and plan to keep it a bit longer. We have also had a a Honda Odyssey and enjoyed that very much.
  • hp2009hp2009 Member Posts: 65
    Hi,did u pay for 2010 CRV EX $.25144 plus tax,ttl.......?as base price for 2010 ex fwd $22900 and awd..$24058 (with destination) it's appear that this price is for awd? and options
  • eanda9000eanda9000 Member Posts: 1
    26400 + TTL w/ pro pack and tinted windows. Financing. Bought on 10/31, a Saturday on the last day of the month at 6:30 pm. Gillman Honda Southwest.

My trade, a 2002 CRV EX AWD with 137000 miles was $700 more then three other offers that came in at $5000 including a carmax cash buy. I think the car effectively moved for 25700 given the overvalued trade.

When backing the car up the salesman was showing me the baby mirror and I hit a car that was oddly parked behind me scratching the paint on the rear bumper just enough for a 4 inch. black line 2 mm high to be visible, no damage the the cars other then that. They became very motivated to sell me the car at that point!
  • jlernerjlerner Member Posts: 5
    Of course I'll probably get called to the carpet for buying without doing my homework. But I'd like feedback as to whether I got suckered here and need to take it back (CarMax 5 day return) or whether it was a fair deal.

2008 Honda CR-V LX, with (oddly) Leather Seats, Rear Privacy Glass, Custom Pioneer Elite DVD/Nav head unit, AWD.

Honestly, I have no idea why it has leather seats and privacy glass on a LX trim. I thought you couldn't even get those for an LX. Perhaps someone got them after-market? The seem like factory OEM.

19,000 miles on it.

Price from CarMax 22,599+TTL.

Also fell for the CarMax extended warranty, which seemed decent.

I honestly wasn't worried about some silly fancy head-unit or premium system. But I did want AWD, and the leather seats are nice.

If anyone could toss me some advice around keep or not. We figured we'd run it about town for a few days here to make sure it meets our needs. In the meantime I figured I'd check the forums to see what the experts have to say about the deal.

I don't need the VERY best deal in town, just a fair one.

Thank you very much for any insights and advice.
  • mpd2mpd2 Member Posts: 12
    I'm having a hard time finding a good price for the 2010 LX 4WD. All the dealers in my area are quoting MSRP (around $22,700 + TTL).

Is it possible to purchase this car near cost ($21,215)?

The 2010's just came out, so if they sold at cost, do the dealers still make money?
  • jlernerjlerner Member Posts: 5
    mpd2, I'm not even seeing close to $22,700 + TTL here on Tucson, AZ. If you can even find a 4WD LX then there's a ~$750 delivery fee tagged on on top of the TTL, not to mention there's zero flex on MSRP.

I'm starting to think the deal I got on my 2008 LX AWD, with Leather and Nav (aftermarket) wasn't so bad. At 19,000 miles on it I got it for $22,599. I know I can get new for near that, but not with a nav and leather and especially not when I factor in delivery fee. That $700+ is a tough pill to swallow when I'm already near/slightly over my limit. lol

Anyway, if you can pull off $22,700, at least from my uneducated perspective and just looking around Tucson, AZ first hand, it seems like a pretty darn decent deal. Hopefully some of the pros on the forum here can provide you with better feedback.

Cheers.
  • hondaseeker1hondaseeker1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi davlee - just wondering what your recommendation is for getting a 2010 CRV exl the best price i found was 26543 plus tax and title looking for your recommendation
  • thundercrackerthundercracker Member Posts: 14
    Hi,

Your price for the '10 EXL for $26543 sounds pretty fair. being a '10, i don't think there are a lot of incentives out there right now, especially if the dealer has some 09 leftovers. we just got an 09 exl for $24.6 (not incl taxes and doc fee) in mass. last week, since they were offering us a '10 ex for about the same price. test drove the 09 and 10 and didn't feel the difference in power, but really didn't test drive it that long.
  • ashleyirashleyir Member Posts: 3
    I'm having a difficult time as well. The MSRP price that I am quoted is $23,505 + ttl. When I check the EVP on this site or carsdirect.com, I'm only quoted a price that's maybe around $200 lower.
  • sachin24ksachin24k Member Posts: 31
    Payment depends on interest rates and probably credit score etc ... but a recently I got this quote. $18.75 per $1000 @ 4.74%and around $6-12 GAP for 60 months

No processing fee or pre-payment penalty

Hope this helps!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I understand that people may put emotions in their dealings with sales people, whether, these are car salesman, appliance, insurance, or door-to-door knife sales people.

The reality of any sale is that MARKET dictates the price. Just like when there is a high demand for a low availability item, the price goes up. It is not gouging or rape, or whatever you call it. No one is holding a gun to the buyer's head, or holding their children at knifepoint until the sale is complete.

People part with their money at their own will. Whether you are buying a car, TV, or appliances, you don't just stumble into a store and get whatever the sales person if giving you.

You do your research, decide on the features you want, and don't want, decide on the colors, and brands, and most importantly, you decide on the price you are comfortable paying. Have back up plan, as well.

If the current market price is outside of your zone, you sit and wait until the price reaches your pricepoint, or move on to the next item on your list.

I am sure Sachn is not volunteering 100% of his time for no pay. Somehow he has to make money to pay the bills. So does Fasttex.... Quite frankly, if it were not for a paycheck, I wouldn't have gone to college and gotten a job and then gone back to college to get an advanced degree.

So, to expect someone to work for free is quite unrealistic. But, most importantly, you have to remember that MARKET is what sets the prices. If you are not comfortable paying price X for widge Y, but someone else is, then the price will remain. However, if no one is willing to pay price X, then seller will reduce the price until there are buyers interested, until the market is saturated at that price. Seller will have to lower the price, or offer other benefits such as new features to maintain the interest in buyers.

But, no where in the scenario was a weapon or force was used to make someone purchase something at the price they were not willing to buy it at.
  • trometrome Member Posts: 17
    It seems you guys out in AZ are being asked for full MSRP? I am in Florida and just today I had dealers quote me $200 below invoice on my choice of an LX or EX. ( there is a $599 "dealer fee") they tack on to the sale ticket so they still make money. to the guy who paid $22 and change for an 08', I would take it back and get a 2010 for that price.
  • nymets168nymets168 Member Posts: 1
    I am in Ky. I need a 2009 exl 4wd in cin,oh for a specific color. I can get them down to 25.3 plus TTL with no accessories. Is it a fair price. Thanks.
  • vinyllovervinyllover Member Posts: 2
    I live in Houston, TX looking to purchase a factory equipped 2010 LX with no additional options/accessories. So far my best quote is from Gillman Honda: $20260 base price , 21850 out the door. Good enough?

Thanks!
    That sounds like a very good price,hope it works out for you.
  • addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    My wife just got an 08 FWD-CR-V EX/certified with 44,869 miles. It was a fleet car. $20,885 +Tax and L and R.Silver with grey/black. She wanted it and I couldn't find anything wrong with it but for a bit high mileage but since she only drives 8-9K a year that wasn't a problem.
  • crvinmidwestcrvinmidwest Member Posts: 1
    Just bought first CRV in Midwest here. Dealers seemed unwilling to move too much on the MSRP, but in negotiating via e-mail/phone between multiple dealers, got the color I wanted for $29,000 - about $1,500 under MSRP. This was below the target price and "great price" listed at Edmunds, CarsDirect, US News, and every other site.

Good deal? Just curious. I'm happy with the purchase. Thanks.
  • docmddocmd Member Posts: 6
    This is my first post on the site and would really appreciate any input you folks can provide. I am looking to buy (finance) a 2010 Honda CRV. The best quote I have on the 2010 CRV LX 2wd is 22K (everything included ie price out the door).

I would be grateful for inputs on whether this sounds like a reasonable price or if I should try and better the quote I just got.

Thanks all.
  • licrvguylicrvguy Member Posts: 1
    I've received a quote of $29,000, including destination in the NY-LI area. Good deal or not ? Thanks for any thoughts.
  • jack_potterjack_potter Member Posts: 1
    Just FYI, my wife just bought one 2010 CRV EX-L 4WD w/t NAV in central CT for 25500+329 Dealer fee+Tax. I personally assume price in Mass should be a little bit lower than here though.
    Keep on searching and negotiate.
  • ashleyirashleyir Member Posts: 3
    I bought my new CR-V today. According to Edmund's TMV price, the average going rate was only $200 under MSRP so I didn't have my hopes up for much of a deal. Sure enough, when I made my first offer, the salesman brought up the edmunds website on his computer so that he could show me what the going rate was. I informed him that the TMV was only an average so some were getting it for under that price :) I ended up paying $22,950 + ttl. I think I got a decent deal, especially considering that I got my first choice color. I'm happy and had a good dealership experience.
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    is this with or without NAVI? And does this include destination fee of $710?

If it's without NAVI you're right at invoice with the high dealer fee.

Invoice on Edmunds for a model with NAVI is $27,661 not including the $710 destination charge. if this is your model your $2K under...

Point being, if it's with NAVI, please let me know and pass along the dealer name and sales person. I'll be there tomorrow to buy.
  • glitch1glitch1 Member Posts: 26
    We just purchased a Honda CRV 2010 LX 4WD for $21,425 plus $199 accessories (Door edge guard) plus TTL (Oregon $322) in the Portland area.

This seems to be a very good price. They claim to have made a mistake with my quote, but they honored the price anyway. Seems like 2010 LX 4wd generally go for over $22K plus TTL from what I see on Edmunds.

I do have a question on whether I got a decent deal on an extended warranty though? I know dealer offered warranties are often bad deals, but after reviewing it with my wife, it seemed like a good idea, so I went for it.

Basically for $1275, I got 7 years/70K bumper to bumper coverage (everything except light bulbs, break pads, tires). It also includes roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement. It allows me to take it to any ASC Certified repair shop for warranty. Payments are made directly to the repair shop (over the phone 24 hours a day). It seems to be more comprehensive than the standard Honda warranty.

This is with Landcar Agency through Larry Miller dealership. After thinking about it, I feel like perhaps I did not need to buy this, and that I should cancel it? But at that price, it seems like it would offer some peace of mind, and I do get to cancel my AAA service (which over 7 years would save me $600 for me and my wife). So minus AAA savings, I am paying about $675 for an extended wrap bumper to bumper warranty which seems like a decent deal.

I can still cancel it so I am wondering if I made a good decision on it? Thanks for any insight on this!
    well, i cancelled the extended warranty. After thinking about it, even if it was a good deal, it put us over budget.

Overall, I think I had a very good experience at the dealership.
  • katylin1katylin1 Member Posts: 18
    Well, I've got one quote I THINK is about as good as I'm going to get during this time frame. Of course, I can always wait, but getting tire of that too :D

I've got a OTD price of $26,873.36. I've got 2 other quote funny thing they both came from the same dealership. One person quoted $554 more but the second only was about $273 more -- both from the same place, just different salesperson. What do y'all think -- something fishy going on?

I'm going this weekend to take a look at the first offer of $26k to see what they got on the lot. I'm wondering does anyone think it's worth it to try to beat the first quote? From all that I've read on this forum -- I think it's sound good...but hey, what do I know? I've never bought a new car before...well, never with the new car smell!! :blush:

Any feedback would be nice.
  • hp2009hp2009 Member Posts: 65
    1st give us 2010 exl price by itself as never go with out the door price since dealer has wrong calculator(trust me) and added warranty so 1st go with base invoice price then u calculate what is worth it ...people get better deal if u go with fleet department and u can get invoice price (Edmund's.com) but don't expect below invoice price for 2010 exl as they still have 2009 left and don't go with what people are paying for on Edmund's.com as that is never true.....always hunt from email back and forth ..until u get best price....no personal information until u get your figure.....hope this will help

thanks
    hp
    That sounds like the price for the vehicle itself must be right around $25,100, if so that sounds like a good deal.
  • tkay2tkay2 Member Posts: 51
    Bought a 2010 CRV EX 4W.D. The final cost to me was $ 8000.00 Took my 07 CRV 4 WD in for the trade (48K miles) they offered 16K The cost then would have been @ 9800 to me. I refused the deal. Told salesman I could afford 8000. as I want to pay cash. He came back with an offer of 8848.40. called him back and told him this was not do able. Called me back and we did the deal for the 8K..Just to check the price, I went to another dealer and took my trade and he also appraised the 07 for 16K but this dealership wanted 11577.00 Needless to say I did not even think about negotiating this price.. Figured it was a waste of time. Suburban Honda Michigan does not want to sell cars (i guess)
    Bought a 2010 CRV EX 4W.D. The final cost to me was $ 8000.00 Took my 07 CRV 4 WD in for the trade (48K miles) they offered 16K The cost then would have been 9800 to me. I refused the deal. Told salesman I could afford 8000. as I want to pay cash. He came back with an offer of 8848.40. called him back and told him this was not do able. Called me back and we did the deal for the 8K..Just to check the price, I went to another dealer and took my trade and he also appraised the 07 for 16K but this dealership wanted 11577.00 Needless to say I did not even think about negotiating this price.. Figured it was a waste of time. Suburban Honda Michigan does not want to sell cars (i guess)

Based on the trade in, you paid $24,000 for the 2010 EX AWD, OTD.

What was wrong with the 2007 that you wanted out of it and willing to pay $8000 to get the same?
    Thanks for the heads up! The base quote plus destination fee of $710 is $25066. It is a few hundred dollars less invoice base on Edmunds. This quote was from the internet manager. I know this sounds so wussy, but its hard to overcome my desire for the best deal with hating :P to negotiate!!

Anyone, I thank you for the suggestion and will send my lowest offer to another dealership and see what they'll offer. My question is this: I really hate to go in person to negotiate is it possible/reasonable to negotiate via emails? Or I'm stuck with having to go in and deal with the haggling?
    You can negotiate by E_Mail (some people are to busy to deal with salesperson for an hour or two) Plus if they don't give you the price you want, it's a waste of time. If you can keep the OUT THE DOOR PRICE under 27K for the E XL that sounds pretty good from what I have seen.. Good Luck (remember the dealer is not your friend) he is what the title implies DEALER... keep us updated
    You don't have to go to the dealership necessarily to get the deal done, a lot depends on the dealership that you are working with. Standard practice is to have you come in to negotiate the final price but if you already know what price you're willing to pay then you can request a written price quote asking for a breakdown of charges.
  • socalcovesocalcove Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I've been reading the posts for the past week and everyone has been very informative about their prices and helping me get a feel for what the market is going for. But for the few postings of the out the door price (including taxes) ... man...it just seems like California taxes are high (no suprise) but REALLY high, does this sound right?

For example, it seems a challenge to get a 2010 crv EXL in urban titanium or red pearl. I did find a few dealers, and recieved the following quotes (without nav packages):

26,100 price or 29,230 with taxes out the door (he has it in stock, red is second choice though which is good still for me)
    another one said for 26,500 but he has to get it up from North California and I will get a 600 extra delivery charge, and would be about 29,600 out the door (with taxes). But he can get the exact color I want Urban Titanium
    One might be able to get a Titanium from up north, but i'll have additional costs to move it down here to los angeles, but he wants me to buy it first, then the CRV will get delivered, which I dont feel comfortable with doing, 26,100 price but i'll have a 600 delivery fee from up north (on top of hte normal california destination charge) as well as taxes
    One dealer had a black one for a good price i think for 25,456 without taxes included. But Black is a distant third choice for me.

Any thoughts on these numbers? Also does the taxes sound about right? I figure i was going to pay like 1500 or 2000...i guess 3000 was on the upper end on the extra fees, titles and taxes.

I guess there were out the door prices given much lower earlier in the previous posts, and I know it varies state by state, but just close to 30K on an EXL is a bit uncomfortable for me, though I guess its just the reality of the taxes where I am.
    OMG, you guys are right!! I decided to bite the bullet and flat out (but politely) told them what my lowest offer was and what they could do about it. I was worry that they wouldn't want to negotiate through emails, but so far it looks like one of the dealership is trying.

Either way, I feel better knowing that I tried at least. Phew! I was even begging the ladies at my work place to borrow their husband or boyfriend to go in with me!! :P

I'll let you guys know how it goes. Again, I'm very appreciative of the responses so far! Thanks!
    I could give you my opinion of why your taxes are so high. But I think you know why!The reason for moving the 07 CRV EX ( 1. price the way I calculate is that trading in a 50K mile vehicle out of warranty, plus I have had problems with this vehicle. Have had it in the dealership at least 5 times,not to mention differential fluid changes 3 times. So paying 8K and of that $1400.00 is sales tax, of which a good portion will be returned on state taxes at the end of the year. I figure 900.00 to 1100.00 will be refunded. So taking that in account the vehicle cost me @ 7000.00 Divide that by 36 months =@190.00 per month not a bad lease with no money down and turned in with almost @50K miles..
    not to mention differential fluid changes 3 times.

Just an FYI: Differential fluid is a maintenance item and will need to be changed on the new one as well. It is good for about 15,000-20,000 miles.
    Thats what they say, but you know I never had a vehicle that that needed to be done. The did change it for free (maintenance book says every 80K I think) Even though I had it in several times they did finally got it right. But why is it that the diff. fluid lasts only 15K?.....
  • highlander123highlander123 Member Posts: 29
    I am in the market to buy CR-V, have you bought one? can you share the price and dealer? I am in Howard county, MD. I am debating between Accord LX-P and CR-V LX. How do you guys think? I want a safer car and more internal space. From the price, I get quote for 2010 Accord LX-P for $18390. Do you guys get a good price for CR-V LX? thanks. techtickler@gmail.com
    highlander123,
    That would depend on whether you want 2WD or 4WD.
    I got a 4WD LX CRV 2010 model for $21,425 (base plus destination fee) plus TTL. Invoice is around $21,900 (base plus destination fee), so I would think you should be able to get a CRV 2010 model at around invoice or less.
  • jonrobertsonjonrobertson Member Posts: 6
    Offered quote of $26,800 (including destination) + tax/t/l. San Francisco area Honda. What do you guys think?
  • mraidnimraidni Member Posts: 2
    Through autobrag, I received a lowest quote of $26,399+TTL ( $27,500 OTD) from Fredricksburg, VA honda delear. Is this a good deal? Please advise.