Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• atalatiatalati Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Where in Florida ? i am in South Florida - looking for an EX.

Thanks !
  • marylandgalmarylandgal Member Posts: 6
    I have negotiated over the internet a 2009 new CR-V EX-L for $23,213 plus tax and MVA fees in Glen Burnie, MD. no additional processing/freight etc. I think this is just ok as my friend got a 2009 last April loaded with nav for $24,000. I am planning to go over and try to get it down further. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    yes, where did you get it?
  • highlander123highlander123 Member Posts: 29
    Again, I am in Columbia, Maryland. I got couple quotes for 2010 LX 2WD. They are about $19,625, plus destination and other fees. It is from Belair Honda. How do you guys think? The invoice is $19,778.
  • katylin1katylin1 Member Posts: 18
    Well, so far I'm really glad I have this forum to kind of bounce ideas/suggestions around. This is my first time really negotiating with Honda dealership. The last dealership was Toyota and that definitely was a really bad nightmare with all those add-on packages :mad:

Thought HOnda would be alittle better, but found out just alittle :cry:

I'm glad I asked about anything "extra" that I could possibly be charged for and boy was I glad I did! $900 extra as a matter of fact. The salesman was actually very surprise at how knowledgeable I was about the accessories. He even tried the "its under warranty" trick...I asked him how is having a rubberized mat going to help me with my warranty?

The $900 was dealer add-on for:
    -window tint (I believe for the front window??)
    -pinstripping the car
    -all-season floor mats
    -cargo tray (the mat for the back)
    -Front splash guard

I told him that the mats, tray & splash guard would cost me about $200 online. So why am I paying xtra $700 for? Just for a tint and pinstripes (it's already on the car)??!!! He still didn't believe me when I told him that I can get the splash guard for $19.80, so he went online and saw for himself. AFter that he believed me on the rest of the accessories.

Anyway, we got the accessories plus tint & pinstripe for total of $450 ($200 for the mat, tray, guard and about $250 for tint & pinstripe), but I feel that I'm overpaying for the tinting and pinstripes and I don't know how to negotiate a better price. :sick:

I guess what I'm getting at is I want a good deal, but I also know that I need to be realistic...so the question everyone is how much of these is really up for negotiation? How can I negotiate a better price?

Now I know what is "added-on" like the tint & pinstripe, I'm going to try one more time for another dealer's quote and see if its more real. :confuse:

Current price quote: 2010 Honda CRV EX-L w/o Navigation (Titanium/Black)
    add-on 450.00
    subttl $25,516.46
    OTD $27,357.58

One more question: Is it normal for one county or city to charge titling fee different?
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Ah yes, the famous dealer add on's can be quite a shock, thankfully not all of them do it. As for the fees, you should be seeing the DMV fees as $127.05, along with the Texas Inventory Tax (.002543 times sales price), the doc fee use to be capped here in TX at $50.00 but the law recently changed so watch out for that. To my knowledge there isn't a change between counties on these fees within the state. What part of TX are you looking in?
  • axp123axp123 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2010 Honda CR-V EX 4WD earlier this week in Chicago. Here's the breakup.

Price: $23657 with destination
    Doc Fee: $152
    Sales Tax: 8.25%

I think one should go based on the base price plus destination, as doc fee, registration and taxes vary from state to state.

Hope this helps.

By the way, it's a polished metal metallic. Had to wait for a week to get this color.
  • laurilalaurila Member Posts: 18
    we don't know or care what the price was, only that our check for the purchase included obviously "everything" since we had no trade-in and paid entire balance with one check

20,885 for 2010 CRV LX 2WD, had choice of many colors, miles on odometer 7

before anyone asks, yes, taxes, tags, dealer fees, rubber mats, it's all included in the price as it is an Out The Door price

S.Florida
  • highlander123highlander123 Member Posts: 29
    Laurila, this is exactly model I want to buy. Excellent deal. Could you breakdown the costs so I can negotiate with my dealer? so far, the best quote is $19680, plus freight, TTL and tax. Thanks.
    Switching gears, now I am in the middle of a deal to buy a 2010 EX-L 2WD for $24,957 (includes dest fee, dealer processing and accessories) plus taxes (6%) and tags only. Anyone know if this is a decent deal? I don't want to steal it but I don't want to get hosed either.
  • satishk1979satishk1979 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my new Honda CRV EX-L (urban titanium) from Gunn Honda (in San Antonio). This was the best place in Texas and their staff is great. My OTD was 27,001.

I want to let you also know that I did talk to alot of dealerships and one of worst ones is Howdy Honda and Cleo Bay. They don't take you serious and show little respect for their customers. You can definitely get the best deal at Gunn honda b/c their employees are NOT commision-based. They are salaried and are the #5 store in the nation.

If you want to learn more please feel free to message me. Hope this helps.
  • hunter06hunter06 Member Posts: 16
    Hi Highlander123,

I am in the same boat comparing between LX-P and CRV LX (AWD). I live in Philly and considering the dealers from NJ to VA (Fairfax) to see if I can get a good quote. IF you don't mind me asking, which dealer did you get your quote from ?

One other thing is have you found out if there s a way to avoid paying destination fees( in short have you read if anyone is able avoid paying it)
  • markbradmarkbrad Member Posts: 2
    Best internet price to date (without pushing) on above is $23000 + $285 (doc fee and temp tag) = $23285. Tax would be additional. Anyone have an actual experience with better numbers? Thanks.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    No, that would depend on whether he wants a sedan or an SUV! Gotta narrow it down before you go any further... :) Want a better ride with better gas mileage OR a vehicle with more storage capability? Huge difference.....
  • pilotnewbiepilotnewbie Member Posts: 8
    We are looking to replace our 2005 pilot. We are looking for most of the amenities. EX-L, moonroof, leather, nav, bluetooth, etc. Any ideas on what we can expect to pay OTD? I am hoping to get something around $2700 + tax and other fees.

Should I negotiate through internet quotes?

Any help is appreciated. Not a great negotiator. How can I find out what delaer paid for the car and then offer a reasonable profit above that?
    This is what I did to find what I think is a fair/good deal:
    First go to http://www.edmunds.com/ and click on TMV or True Market Value. This will give you an idea of what others are paying in your area but don't use this number as the lowest point, just use it as a reference.
    Then, email 3-4 dealers and ask them for their best price for what you want. It seems to me that the larger dealers are the ones who have more bargaining leeway.
    Then, take the lowest offer from one and email another and say, I got this offer from dealer X, can you beat it? Once you get a lower offer go back to the others and do the same. You will be amazed how they respond and you will soon realize where the padding is. Be prepared for them to balk and if they do just go to the next one. When I thought I was closer to a fair price I then went in to talk to them. It has worked out well for me since I don't like face to face negotiations but I don't want to be a push over.
  • markbradmarkbrad Member Posts: 2
    Another dealer has now responded with a price of $22700 + $285 (doc and tag fees). Anyone doing better?
  • hp2009hp2009 Member Posts: 65
    Hi,guys
    i wanted to find out did 2010 crv got less noisy and more quieter than 2009 and this question can be answer people who drove 2009 and 2010 before making decision on their crv.
  • sachin24ksachin24k Member Posts: 31
    Is this with Navigation or no?
    Hi Satish,

looks like a great price, BTWm does it has Navi?

can you please give a break up of your OTD price? Taxes and fees differ from state to state, I want to know the vehicle price for me to negotiate in CA?

Thanks
    I am offered $26,200 + Taxes for the above vehicle (in SoCAL), what do you guys think?
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    We picked up our CR-V yesterday, black on black fully loaded. Paid invoice price of $28,371 including destination + CT sales tax of 6% + $247 for plates, dealer fee, tire fee, etc. Financed through Honda at 2.9% over 60 months.

As we were on our way to the dealership to pick up the vehicle I had another local dealer offer invoice + all season mats, wheel locks, mud flaps (about a $175 value). Since we were were pulling in to pick up our car we said thanks but no thanks to the offer.

There has to be some dealer money on the 2010, but I couldn't find anything. Once the 2.9% can out they moved quickly off $1000 over invoice to invoice -$200 deals.

The above post has an EXL w/NAVI for $26,200...that's a steal for an AWD, grab it!

The two dealers were Brewster and New Rochelle Honda in NY
    The wife and I drove both the 2009 and 2010. We considered an 09' during the C4C. We held off for the restyled front and back. We didn't like the unpainted plastic on the bumpers of the 09', it's less so on the 10'. Bluetooth was added for 2010 as well as a bump in HP to 180.

Specific to your question, I drove the new car home and said to my wife it was quieter than the 09' we test drove a few times. I'd try to confirm they added additional sound deadening materials...I actually don't know.
  • enenkayenenkay Member Posts: 1
    This looks like the best price so far. COuld you send me details about the dealer (I am looking for an EX-L). Thanks..
  • ramesha2ramesha2 Member Posts: 3
    Marylandgal,

Is the price you quoted for a 4WD? Did you have any luck with getting a better price than what you quoted above?
    This was for a FWD. I got two places that agreed to that price - Brown's Honda of Glen Burnie (MD) and Schaefer & Stromingher in Fallston, md. Meanwhile, I decided the '10's were such a great deal that I went for a '10 - EX-L, FWD. My final price was $24837 plus tax and tags at Browns Honda of Glen Burnie.
    Hey Satishk,

Tell me what if anything was added on the vehcile or is the $27001 factory spanking bare?? My OTD quote is $27,352 but it has the add-on of tint, pinstripe, all season mat, cargo tray, and splash guard thrown in (they lowered the add-on price to $450, but I still feel like I was taken advantage of somehow).

Also, what do you think of the color? I saw it and it was like a love & hate relationship. One moment the color was like melted chocolate, the next moment I'm reminded of a big brown blob ... lol :P

Did you get the interior colors as beige or all black?? I wasn't able to (yet) see a CRV with beige leather (just cloth) and even my kid thought the cloth beige looked kind of yellowish. Anyhow, if you could let me know what you walk out with...maybe I might re-consider Frank Kent's offer. Thanks!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Tell me what if anything was added on the vehcile or is the $27001 factory spanking bare?? My OTD quote is $27,352 but it has the add-on of tint, pinstripe, all season mat, cargo tray, and splash guard thrown in (they lowered the add-on price to $450, but I still feel like I was taken advantage of somehow).

Rear doors, cargo, and hatch are tinted from the factory on the EX and EX-L.

Did the dealer tint the front door windows?

Otherwise, they are selling you somehting that is standard on the car.
    Sorry Guys,

When i asked to clarify, dealers said, $26,200 is for EX-L but No navi.

I dont understand, I see some posts here for EX-L without navi for as low as $24800 + ... does that mean just a navigation system costs $2.5k more ??? or is there anything more to the vehicle with Navi?
    Thanks Marylandgal.
    I was a little confuse by what he said. He said it kind of fast, but I think almost all the windows were already tinted EXCEPT something in the front. I'm not sure if its the front doors or does the driving window count??

Now that you ask it does seem like alot of money ($250+) just front 2 front doors and pinstripe...huh?? The rest of the accessories was about right even if I bought it from a 3rd party online (I had already priced it from bernardiparts.com & HandA.com).
  • rugratncrugratnc Member Posts: 10
    I believe I am getting a good deal on this vehicle although I know the dealer will still be making some money off of my trade-in.

$25,356 - CRV EXL w/o Nav includes destination charge
    $ 544 - Administrative Fees
    $ 655 - Accessories
    $26,555 - Total OTD

I am trading my 2008 Honda Odyssey EXL-R for $27,000. The accessories above include the all weather floor mats and cargo tray, fog lights w/installation and the installation of my tow base plate (labor only) for pulling with my motorhome. The administrative fees includes the doc fees, tag transfer and some extra I included for the base plate installation.
  • wnukwnuk Member Posts: 40
    sachin-

I think the $24800 pricing people are seeing is for a FWD, not an AWD. The best price I've been given so far for an 2010 EX-L AWD without nav is $26,700 in Pennsylvania. I'm still shopping lots of vehicles and haven't decided for sure on a CR-V so I haven't tried getting it lower yet.
  • mask234mask234 Member Posts: 2
    I have been shopping around for a CRV for couple of months now. After emailing a bunch of dealers, the lowest quote I received for a 2010 CRV LX FWD is $20,795. Is this a fair price? Looked it up on truecar.com, it does seem to be okay there. But wanted to check with the wise people here.

This is in SF Bay Area.
    The NAVI is expensive, it adds one additional feature whihc is bluetooth hands free phone. The EXL/NAVI in 2010 is roughly $700 more expensive than in 09' due to the addition of this feature.

There are others;

-Steering wheel mounted NAVI and phone controls
    -6 d-sc changer in the center console (to accommodate the NAVI)
    -Digital audio card reader

My wife won't go for a portable NAV unit, and waited for the bluetooth to be integrated from the factory.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    $250 for tinting and pinstripes is NOT that much. A normal tint job would include front windshield and 2 side front doors. Oh, you do not want to skimp on a tint job...sure you could save a few $$ but you'll pay later, esp if you live in a hot climate.
  • bchopefulbchopeful Member Posts: 1
    We were able to get a price of $25,900 for a 2010 EX-L in New England. I suggest checking out the pricing on cars.overstock.com, as they had the lowest guaranteed pricing and I was able to get another dealer to match the pricing. Probably lost some money on the trade-in a 2001 CRV for $5500, but happy with the experience overall. My wife is excited about her new car.
  • sbddrjsbddrj Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a Silver 2009 CR-V LX. Paid $19,774 (including $710 destination fee) plus $499 Doc Fee, 3.5% Sales Tax and $16 Title fee. OTD price was $21,000. Was this a fair deal? I think the Doc fee was extremely high, but that is what all the Honda dealers in Northern AL charge. The dealer add-ons included mud-guards, pin stripe and paint sealant. :confuse:
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The NAVI is expensive, it adds one additional feature whihc is bluetooth hands free phone. The EXL/NAVI in 2010 is roughly $700 more expensive than in 09' due to the addition of this feature.

There are others;

-Steering wheel mounted NAVI and phone controls
    -6 d-sc changer in the center console (to accommodate the NAVI)
    -Digital audio card reader

My wife won't go for a portable NAV unit, and waited for the bluetooth to be integrated from the factory.

I installed Pioneer AVIC F700Bt in the CR-V. It has AM/FM/XM/Sirius/HD/CD/MP3/DIVX/XVID/USB/Bluetooth/Voice Commands/GPS... I got it from Amazon for $400 shipped. Added the XM tuner and PAX steering wheel controls adapter ( to make Pioneer understand Honda steering wheel controls commands) for $120 from Crutchfield.

A lot cheaper than the $2000+ Honda charges, and I can run any firmware on it.
  • sat45sat45 Member Posts: 1
    Got yesterday an urban titanium EX-L for $27,500 OTD (Houston, TX). The good thing is Honda provided me 2.9% APR for 60 months.
  • elravselravs Member Posts: 2
    I got a price quote for 20600 - bay area
  • jikjik Member Posts: 144
    i havent received any survey from honda about dealer experience

Its been 7 weeks since purchase. is that sent by dealer or honda
  • jonrobertsonjonrobertson Member Posts: 6
    Offer of $26800 including destination + tax for a 2010 EX-L AWD without navigation. Do you think I should keep waiting or go ahead? Thanks for everyone's help.
    Jonrobertson,

I live in PA, KOP area and I have 2 offers for a 2010 EX-L AWD, one from Baltimore area for $26369 +tax / tags and another from local area dealer for $26469 + tax/tags.
  • jonrobertsonjonrobertson Member Posts: 6
    Ramesha2: Thanks for the info. These "hard" numbers are what makes this forum so useful. My offer is in the northern California area. I think I'll keep bargaining.
  • gbcacgbcac Member Posts: 7
    I am also from Bay area and looking for 2010 CRV LX FWD .Does the price 20600 include all other charges/Document fee except for Sales Tax? Who is the dealer.
  • tntblazertntblazer Member Posts: 8
    Thought I'd let everyone know how I came out yesterday. Got a 2010 Glacier Blue EX-L with Nav, sunroof deflector, splash guards, pinstripes for $27,900, no taxes, bought out of state. I'll pay right at $2k in taxes when I register it in TN. Bought in Huntsville, AL.
    thanks for the note on this. I owned an aftermarket retail store some years ago which included electronics. Installed many drop in and custom NAV units....at the end of the day it's what the wife wants, she doesn't go for anything aftermarket....

happy wife = happy husband.
  • jackshahjackshah Member Posts: 2
    Hi :

I am getting quote of $21000 on 2010 CRV LX metallic color is it a fair price . Can you share the dealer name who is offering 20600 in bay area

Thanks
    Jack
  • jackshahjackshah Member Posts: 2
    Hi :

I am getting quote of $21000 on 2010 CRV LX metallic color is it a fair price . Can you share the dealer name who is offering 20600 in bay area

Thanks
    Jack