Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    nbdeucenbdeuce Member Posts: 22
    If it's 25K with add-ons and fees it's pretty good as far as I can tell. You add ttl to this of course. This price gets you to the dealership and that's when they corner you into buying all the extra stuff.
  • Options
    parulparul Member Posts: 2
    The 25 K is without any dealer fee and has the following add ons:-
    MoonRoof Visor
    Mats-All Season
    Trunk Tray
    Wheel Locks
    Tinting
    Splash guards
  • Options
    mpd2mpd2 Member Posts: 12
    Visited a few Seattle dealerships with the wifey today. Despite the end of the month, NONE of them would lower their price, telling us they lose money if they go any lower. This was for a 2010 LX AWD. Best price before walking out on the contract was $22,700 + accessories ($200)+ TTL.

They told me ALL dealers pay the same for their Hondas. Funny how people elsewhere are purchasing theirs for $1,500 - 2,000 lower.

I guess they got fattened off cash 4 clunkers. What a bunch of CROOKS.
  • Options
    nbdeucenbdeuce Member Posts: 22
    Crooks may be a little much...It's more of a game which is one they rarely loose. I just had a deal on a 2010 exl 2wd no-nav crash and burn due to dealer not agreeing to include all season floor mats!!!!! A $150 item. I move on and so does he, we both go are own ways...no hard feelings. He had more lucrative deals in the pipeline and figured I was not key to making his month.
    It is what it is, but I would love to one day be able to walk onto a car lot or call a dealer without having to go through all the BS. Car X cost $xx,xxx.x99 take it or leave it would be nice.
    BTW, I was at $26,400 + ttl. Could of gotten the same car 3 hours away for $26,100 + ttl.....happy new year.
  • Options
    newbie1985newbie1985 Member Posts: 5
    ei i bought mine 2 days ago...25,700 plus tax etc without as mats and cargo tray...got 4.9 apr....did I got a good deal or not...please expain it to me...here in WA...dont have the car yet though
    crv exl 2009 awd
  • Options
    bc_crvbc_crv Member Posts: 9
    I got mine for 26100, but for 2010. I think 2010 invoice if $500 more than 2009, so I think thats a good deal.
  • Options
    jenajena Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased a 2010 EX-L with 4WD for $25.9K from Boch in Norwood. We thought it was a very good price and are picking up the car today.
  • Options
    cannell3cannell3 Member Posts: 45
    Well, went to my friendly Honda dealer today to inquire about a 2010 CR-V EX. He is offering me:
    $2500.00 off of the sticker
    - 500.00 back as the dealer fee.
    - $117.00 taxes and License (NC)
    -580.00 for the fog lights
    -750.00 HUT
    $24200.00 due at delivery

Of course, we missed the 2.9 financing since I didn't buy today.
    Any thoughts?

Surprise, they weren't interested in my not so cherry '97 Dodge Grand Caravan with 183K miles; so I don't know what to do with it!

Thanks! :confuse:
  • Options
    lkunion79lkunion79 Member Posts: 1
    Seattle area -
    Quoted price including Destination/Handling ($710): $24,908
    Final price including wheel locks ($84), splash guards ($154), document fee ($150), license & registration ($200), taxes ($2,454.51): $27,950.51

Any thoughts? Thank you!
  • Options
    bc_crvbc_crv Member Posts: 9
    Lake Union 79,

Dealers in WA state are not offering the same deals that others are getting in states like Texas and the East Coast states. I posted a message last week that listed my purchase price, which after tax and documentation charges, was $28694, for an EX-L AWD 2010 CRV. If you buy in the Seattle area, you are also paying an extra 1% compared to buying somewhere where the sales tax is lower. I purchased where the sales tax was 8.5%, although I had to drive 1.5 hours to get to the dealership from downtown Seattle. It saved me almost $300 so it was worth it to me.
  • Options
    auto193auto193 Member Posts: 3
    I don't understand how you got $24200?
    What is your sticker price?
  • Options
    If you compare TMV from Edmund, they suggests the price for 2010 CR-V EX 4WD is $24,603 for national.
    You should emailed or called at least 5 dealers and let them bid the price.
    I just bought the 2010 CR-V-EX 4WD a week ago and it was $24558 ($500 above the invoice) and it is a little bit lower than your quoted price $24908 but almost the same.
    I believe it is a good deal if they have 1.9 APR for 36 months.
    For the two accessories you listed, you should ask them for free with the quoted price becasue it only cost them $50 each.

Since you miss the car sale tax deduction bonus (only for new car purchase before 12/31/09) which you will get about $500 return for your 2010 CR-V-EX 4WD, you should now take your time and get all your quoted price.

I believe you should be able to get a deal at inovice price or may be $500 lower (if you lucky). However, I consider price at invoice is a good deal for 2010 CR-V becasue it is one of the best selling car.

Hope this help!!
  • Options
    civiclx98civiclx98 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, does anyone know how to get Honda care online?
  • Options
    This is a good deal. I have same thing except the fog lights and I paid $24500.
    Total after tax and all other fee is about $27000
    However, I got 1.9 APR which is about $28500 for 36 months. It is about 717 per month.

For 2.9 APR, which is about $31148 for 60 months

I will buy it at your price $24200 only if they give you 1.9 APR or lower for 36 months.
  • Options
    I just realized that the tires are Continental 4x4 contact instead of bridgestones...though they gave me bridgestone booklet...how does these two tires compare? should i file a complaint with Honda if the dealer ended up giving me crappier tires?
  • Options
    I got mine for $24800 including remote start and fog lights...after tax, it's 26400 (6%)....
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Not a conspiracy, just reality. CRV inventories are pretty thin especially the LX models that don't sell nearly as well as the EX's

No incentives from Honda so why would a store want to sell a low supply high demand vehicle for below their invoice?

Just the reality of the current market conditions. Certainly not a conspiracy.
  • Options
    bratcutebratcute Member Posts: 4
    Bought a CRV LX AWD in Northern Jersey for $20,500 + Dest+ Tax(7%). I got the car $700 below invoice. I purchased the car on 31st Dec and received the promotional financing as well.
  • Options
    raj27raj27 Member Posts: 6
    I have a got a quote of 20500 on a used 2009 CR-V Ex model with only 1000 miles on it.Is this a good price on that or i can get better deal ?
  • Options
    Where would you find another one like that?

Of course, that is an excellent deal except, it's probably sold by now.
  • Options
    raj27raj27 Member Posts: 6
    It a private party purchase, was just confirming if i am not paying too much
  • Options
    Do you guys think I got a good deal? This is how the break up looks like

2010 LX AWD - $20500
    Destination - $710
    Veh Protection Program - $198
    Doc Fees - $279
    Regn and Inspection (4years) - $322
    Taxes (@7%) - $1502

Total (OTD) - $23,595

I got the promotional 1.9% financing for 36 months and I did not have a car to trade in. I bought the car on 31st Dec and so I am eligible for the tax deduction.
  • Options
    doug77doug77 Member Posts: 7
    I also bought a new 2010 CRV LX (not AWD; just stock equipment) on Dec 29th cash (Gillman Honda in Rosenberg, Texas) and my OTD was $22250 (sales tax is 6.25% or $1287.19). Therefore I'd say we got a comparable price and in my opinion we both got a good deal. Whether I got a good deal or not, I know that no one else around me would match what I paid and I bargained hard. I even tried to get it lower where I bought and they said they couldn't do it. I think you did good based on where I live. Maybe other areas are different tho.
  • Options
    I only WISH we could get a deal like yours. The Seattle market is absolute crap. All the dealers here want $1000-2000 more than what people elsewhere are paying. If anyone bought a car here, you paid too much.
  • Options
    oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    My local Honda market is like that. I couldn't get a decent deal at any of the local dealers. On Black Friday, my son in law and I wandered into a big Honda dealership in Fayetteville, NC, just to see what they'd do. Had the family car with me, and, a couple hours later, I owned a 2010 CRV. Wife and I drove the new car 6 hours to get home in WV. Contact some dealers in driving range from you, and, see what they'll do.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • Options
    Don't believe all of the so called "prices paid" posts.
  • Options
    rusurerusure Member Posts: 10
    "Don't believe all of the so called prices paid posts".

Please elaborate and provide substance/examples behind your statement. How do you determine what is valid and what isn't? What purpose do individuals have to post false prices paid?

I can undertand questioning a post of $1000 or more under invoice without any incentives or honda sales guys posting inflated pricing, but for the most part, I just haven't seen too much that would lead me to believe people are posting artificial prices.
  • Options
    No, I'm not going back to post examples.

In the past there have been some numbers posted that made no sense whatever where stores would have lost big money selling cars for those prices.

People tend to forget what they paid for things. I know I do.

And there may have been a trade involved?

I don't know that people are dong this on purpose but it does happen. That's all.
  • Options
    Response to your 'dont believe all on the 'prices paid' post.. I dont think my post was intended to display what a great deal I got. I would be happy to provide the dealership name and try help out my fellow forum members to get a great deal as well. So anybody in Northern Jersey, you are welcome to email me for the dealership name and the salesperson to contact.
  • Options
    rusurerusure Member Posts: 10
    bratcute, your deal is just one of many good ones. For whatever reason, some are just ignoring the highly competitive nature of the CUV market believing we should all pay MSRP. Yes, CRV's are in short supply, but that doesn't mean dealers aren't providing consumers with very aggressive pricing. They know the customer can go buy one of the other 100 plus CUV models available - and not wait for delivery. Bottom line is the CRV is a great vehicle, but so are Foresters, RAV4's, Rogue's, and the list goes on. If I did not get great pricing on my CRV purchase, I wouldn't have any buyers remorse if I chose another brand/model
  • Options
    I wasn't responding to your post. Just making a general comment.

In my neck of the woods, CRV's aren't that scarce and we are definatly making deals on them. Some of the colors have been hard to get and so have NAVI's but if a person is a bit flexible on color, no real problems.
  • Options
    cliffbcliffb Member Posts: 46
    Anyone had recent experience purchasing an EX in Massachusetts? (western/central MA in particular)
  • Options
    425char425char Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2010 CR-V EXL 4WD no Navi in North Jersey. Paid $26,199 including destination. So far I'm not too happy with it. With only 275 miles on it I need to take it in for service because the SRS light is on.
  • Options
    vreggievreggie Member Posts: 4
    What do you think of this price.

2009 Honda CRV- EX FWD $21700+tax (6.25%) and $280 title and doc.
  • Options
    hansjuergenhansjuergen Member Posts: 1
    Looks like a good deal to me. I just purchased a 2010 4WD CRV LX, list price 23,505 (inlcudes freight). Negotiated price was $21,725 plus sales tax plus title and doc fees ($33.50 + $249.50). Got this price at Honda Marysville in Ohio. They were $500 better than Roush Honda in Westerville, the largest Honda dealer by far in central Ohio.
  • Options
    You hit the bottom with that price! My customers would really balk at a 249.00 doc. fee but that is how they were able to sell it to you for that price.

Westerville? I know that place! I used to work for a company out of Washington Court House before they moved to Columbus. That move about killed WCH!
  • Options
    qinsong99qinsong99 Member Posts: 20
    If you go to Matt Castrucci Honda in Dayton, the price will be much lower. Our quote for a 2010 LX AWD is $20800 with destination included plus TTL. Matt Castrucci Honda is a auto mall selling Honda, Nissan and Mazda and it does not have many CRVs in stock. We did not buy the LX though. In stead we got a white EX-L AWD for 25818 plus TTL. I think their offer on the LX model is more aggressive.
  • Options
    isellhondas,

Since you work in the business, explain this to me. In my market, the Honda dealers charge at least $1000 to 1500+ more than other dealers throughout the country. They tell me that all dealers pay the same for their cars, and they can't sell it any cheaper because the profit margin is "soo low". I see plenty of cars on their lots, so there is no "limited inventory". Should I cry for them? :cry:
  • Options
    I guess I have to ask you how you know what other dealers are charging?

I know I don't have access to that kind of information.

It all boils down to market conditions and that applies to everything,, not just cars.

If you owned a retail business, you would probably want to sell your products for as much as possible. Charge too little and you'll go broke. Charge too much and your customers will shop elsewhere. It's a balance.

No, you shouldn't cry for them and I doubt if they are really charging that much more than other stores are. We need to keep the cars moving and they can'[t do that if they are charging too much.
  • Options
    tocatoca Member Posts: 147
    Let's assume we know what the dealer paid the manufacturer for a new CRV, current customer/dealer incentives and everyone has a tax and registration charge. This is normally the pricing you see posted on these forums. Rarely are you informed of the Doc/Conv fee and whether or not the deal involved a trade in.

Claims that people are getting their new car at invoice are true to a certain extent but the dealer is making profit on the fee, holdback and perhaps volume related incentives as well as the trade in, if there is one. With a trade in, there will be more variances in the new car price because the dealer can "play" with the used car price. I paid the "dealer invoice" price on my CRV. However, there was a $300 doc fee. My take is I actuallyI paid $300 over invoice. Also had a trade in. A little research on my part indicates the dealer could net as much as $2000 on it - and that's after all the prep work they'll need to do. Of course, they'll warranty it for 60 days, so until they actually sell my car, they won't know how much money they made on my transaction.

My point is if they weren't making money, they wouldn't be in business - so there really is no need to cry :)
  • Options
    I know the prices they are charging because I emailed the dealers where members here got great prices. So I have several quotes which are well over a THOUSAND dollars cheaper than the dealers here, who aren't willing to budge on price.

They're staying in business because they're able to profit off uninformed people in my market. I've been one of those people, on my last car purchase when I didn't do my research. Plus, if all the dealers keep their prices similar, people can't shop elsewhere. I really wish we could buy DIRECT from Honda, and cut out the middle man.
  • Options
    I don't see buying cars direct ever happening but I could be wrong I suppose.

So, don't buy your car there. Simple as that. This is what competition is all about.

A couple of possibilities.

Maybe that dealer simply wants to make a certain amount on every unit he sells.

Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is totally wrapped up in price although it sure seems that way these days. Nothing wrong with a businessman making a decent profit. Yes, he will lose some sales but by making more on every car he doesn't ahve to sell as many to net the same result. Some very small stores and the high end stores will do this.

Is the store in an isolated area or a place like Alaska or Hawaii?

Or maybe this is a store that installs a thousand dollars in unwanted accessories and "forgets" to mention this until you get there?

I think I would just tell them..." ABC Honda will sell it for this amount. Will you match that or do I have to go there?"

Personally, I wish prices weren't negiotable as is the case with almost everything we buy. I have to wonder how this started in the first place with cars?

It would sure make my job easier!
  • Options
    tocatoca Member Posts: 147
    Where would you test drive the vehicles? Where would you pick up your car? Who would provide warranty service on your new purchase (this would be a nightmare)?

The dealer network is the best way to handle sales, marketing and most importantly warranty service.

If you think it through, I just can't imagine it working any other way in today's world and would take a tremendous amount of work to change it.
  • Options
    You are correct and if you think prices would drop, think again!
  • Options
    saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    isellhondas wrote:
    >>>Maybe that dealer simply wants to make a certain amount on every unit he sells.<<<

I have about half a dozen Honda dealers within an easy drive.

The closest -- about two miles away -- posts a price for each vehicle (usually somewhat under msrp) and refuses to budge from it. Retail or Internet customer, young or old, guy or girl, you pay the same price. Their service shop is honest enough that they've steered me away from work they considered optional or deferable.

About 20 miles away is a volume dealer who will play ball on pricing, especially if you enter via the Internet. If you ask if you need an oil additive, they'll sell it to you, no matter what the owner's manual says.

The thing is, when I bought my CR-V five years ago, these two dealers were less than $500 apart in price. So I bought from the lower priced guy who negotiated and usually go for service to the closer dealer, unless I feel like a ride through the countryside. When my daughter bought her CR-V in 2008, the volume dealer's price was so low that the price fixe shop told her, "If you can buy a new EX-L for that price, go do it." So she did.

I've never seen much point in puzzling over why one price is higher than another. I try to be cordial, tell 'em what I want, and ask for the lowest price they'll accept on their first offer. And I talk to at least three dealers. I've found most dealers respond very well to this approach. I don't waste their time, they don't waste mine.
  • Options
    It sounds like the dealer closest to you has decided how he wants to run his business. Some people will pay a bit more to support a store who is honest and who provides great service after the sale.

For some people it isn't just price that drives them to a store.
  • Options
    saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    >>>Some people will pay a bit more ...<<<

That's likely true, and many people just plain hate bargaining largely because they equate it with arguing. But it's not arguing, it's just the process that precedes a substantial personal business decision.

The question is, How much is "a little bit?" My rule of thumb is less than the amount of one payment. For me, the $500 was in the two payment neighborhood.

Also, I haven't verified this, but I think the prices of the two dealers are much closer for high demand models. The volume dealer will likely have a better price on commodity models.

I think the CR-V is an excellent choice for the buyer who values functionality. If it had, say, 200 hp, I'd boost the excellent to well-nigh perfect.
  • Options
    johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    bratcute, I don't seem to be able to PM you now but would you give the dealership name in Northern NJ where you purchased your CRV (its not against the rules...) Thanks
  • Options
    dg19dg19 Member Posts: 3
    On a 2010 LX, Round Rock would go to 21100 + $100 doc fee + TTL. It's 6.25% here so the drive out was 22700. Nobody in the area will budge below this
  • Options
    davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    I gather you sell Hondas? If so, can you do me a big favor and let me know what I should pay for CRV EX-L with Navi? I don't want to haggle and would like to walk in with one price. I would like a reasonable profit for the local dealer so that everyone is somewhat happy. A ball park figure would do. Thanks very much.