Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada

Comments

• cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    log10(X)=0.45 -> X = 10^0.45 < 3.0

It is about less than 3 times in acoustic magnitude. Don't have calculator at hand. Just an estimate.
  • tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    I think there's a bit of flex in the body structure out back that comes up under certain cornering situations, and it's making the rear hatch area rub and move around. If you really muscle it around a twisty road like you were in a Corvette (scary, but you would be suprised what one of these monsters can do! AND DEFINATELY MAKE SURE YOU ARE ALONE, Aunt Bea flying around the back seat is not pretty)you can hear all kinds of flexing. It IS a lot of rigidity to ask of such a large vehicle, I feel only the big guns ( Land Cruiser, Range Rover, Unimog etc) truly have the flex under control. They were built to cross the Arctic Tundra, the Armada wasn't. A lot of it has to do with how stiff the chassis is on these. It really has been one of the main gripes of reviewers. Guess you just gotta save the autocross for the Vette- *****DISCLAIMER***ALL WHIZBANG DRIVING WAS PERFORMED ON A CLOSED COURSE ONLY KNOWN TO ME, AND SHOULD NOT BE PERFORMED BY THOSE UNTRAINED IN BIG SUV RACING****
  • cdogcdog Member Posts: 12
    Salepeople from different dealers have called me saying they have the parts to fix the resonance problem. They invite me to make a purchase and fix it through warranty. Doesn't sound like a prudent plan to me. Hoping to hear, sometime soon, that the cars coming off the assembly line no longer have the flaw.

Wondering aloud whether the parts that Nissan told ksloan are being tested would need to be welded to the top of the frame. Also wondering whether assembly of these parts onto the vehicle would require retooling on assembly line, and if that is the case, would they wait for '05 production before retooling.

Somewhat relatedly, after noting, along with some other posters, a remarkable lack of advertising for the Armada, saw a television commericial this week for the QX56. Would Infinity/Nissan aggressively market their top-of-the-line vehicle if they don't have a fix? Risky proposition, if so. Guess only time will tell.
  • offroadnarmadaoffroadnarmada Member Posts: 65
    If you read Nissan's website, the Armada (along with the normal Pathfinder) is supposed to have a sturdy, squeak-free BOF.

"Fully Boxed Section Frame

Hear waves crashing. And hardly a squeak or rattle for miles. Because Armada isn't designed from an unforgiving truck frame, but a full-length body-on-frame design using laser welding and structural bonding for high torsional rigidity. To help ensure a smooth and comfortable ride with fewer squeaks and rattles. It also has the longest regular wheelbase of any full-size SUV and a wide track for an improved stance and more stable handling and cornering."
  • davemandaveman Member Posts: 19
    I have an LE. My sound system sounds good in the front two rows, but there are no speakers anywhere behind the second row of seats. I saw a post earlier where someone said their sub-woofer was missing; can someone tell me where the woofer is supposed to be? I wonder if it is somewhere in the third row and wonder if mine is missing also.
  • dboogiedboogie Member Posts: 71
    the subwoofer is under the drivers seat along with the amplifier. when I sit in the second or third row seat, TO ME the music just doesn't have as much "punch" to it as it does when i'm driving or in the front passenger seat. I think the Bose sounds good as long as you're in the front. But because I think it lacks for the rest of the vehicle I'm starting to save so i can overhaul the entire system.
  • davemandaveman Member Posts: 19
    Thanks,

I agree, the sound system is better for those in the front than it is for those in rear. It seems funny they did not even put any speakers in the back row.

Thanks for pointing out where the subwoofer is - I can now see it there.
    under the front passenger seat, does anyone else have a wire with a yellow connector at the end just hanging? i heard that just about everything is prewired. i know the foglights were :) maybe it's prewired for power seats?? if so...

also, has anyone installed a nav system? the only reason i didn't get the se offroad or le is i didnt want leather. but i would love the nav. system.... wondering if it is prewired as well. would require replacing the radio and ac faceplate, but worth it.
  • scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    I have been following this site ever since the Armada came out. I purchased mine in December, and now have 6500 miles on it. I have owned five Nissan products in the last 11 years and the one with the Armada is surely a love/hate relationship. I have experienced everything from the Resonance, to warped brakes, to rattles and squeaks. In the last week or so, I have noticed my A/C has been stuck on. (no wonder i have such poor mileage)The only way to turn it off is to turn off the vent. I'm going to the Dealer this week, which will be my 14TH time since I purchased the Armada. Yes, I know all the Dealer personnel on a first name basis.
    Even though I have had all these issues in such a short time, I have faith that they (NISSAN) will come through with the much needed repair for the resonance. I'll keep you all posted,
    so, are you saying that your A/C is continuously on....even if you don't physically turn it on?

Coincidentally today I noticed something perhaps semi-related. My windows were foggy, so I turned my vent on and set it to the defog setting for my front window. Upon doing that the A/C automatically came on. I think I read somewhere that this is suppose to happen, but it surprised me because I didn't physically turn the A/C on and I wasn't expecting it to turn on.

With the vent still on, I moved the vent position to another setting but the A/C remained on. I then cut the vent off and then turned it back on and THIS TIME the A/C did not come on.....but once I set it back to defog the window, it kicked back on.

Sooo, I guess what I'm getting at is, check to make sure your vent position isn't on the defog setting when you have the vent on. It seems like if its in that position, once you turn the vent on your A/C will come on as well.

With that said, at anytime, if i simply clicked the A/C off, it would turn off. Double checking to make sure i don't have the vent position on the defog setting when i turn my vent on, is just something I guess I'll have to be more aware of (sorta weird to HAVE to do that).

I hope I explained myself and I didn't confuse you with all my mumbo jumbo :O)
  • chasmanz28chasmanz28 Member Posts: 109
    scott its normal to have the ac turn on with the defrost mode on, the reason why its turns on is to lube the orings so they dont dry up mainly for the winter, when i had my armada it would turn on also and if i wasnt paying attention the ac would be on all the time because the light for the ac is in a bad spot, dang 14 times to the dealer, good luck bro. and on a side note i still have the front mud guards for the armada if anybody wants them ill sell them for a great price, there brand new still in the box
    hey chas, the splash guards.....are they the Nissan oem type that are rather flat and thin? I have some already on my Armada but i've been looking for some that had more of a "beefier" look to them....like the rear splash guards.
  • nitemasknitemask Member Posts: 33
    Just a heads up. Chasman is right about the AC. Its all in the manual.
    the ones i have are the oem ones, which are the flat and thin ones :), maybe an aftermarket company will make better ones down the road
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think the A/C comes on in defrost mode to dehumidify the air and get rid of the moisture. I never hear about running the A/C in the winter to lube the seals anymore, probably because most defrosters now kick the A/C on when you turn on the defrost.

Here's a link with more theory.

Steve, Host
  • llajumpvidllajumpvid Member Posts: 76
    Well after months of waiting, my smoke+tech finally arrived last night! After reading for the last four months on this site the problems some are having I bought the Nissan extended warranty Gold Preferred Plan. Curious on how good(or bad) a deal I got with it. I paid $1300 for the 7yr/70000mi coverage. Has anyone else bought the extended coverage?

Well I'm off to buy accesories now.. :)
  • scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    I know that the A/C will kick in when turned on the defrost setting. My A/C is almost always on in the normal "vent" mode. The A/C light is "OFF" but you can feel the cold air from the vents as well as hearing the A/C compressor clicking in and out of engagement. The only way to turn it off is to turn the fan to off. Sometimes when I turn the car off and re start, the A/C will not be stuck on.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    do you have auto climate control?
    i made sure to get the extended warranty. i love my baby, but i have a feeling nissan will know me by name for the next 5 years ot 65000 miles >:)
  • adjmcloonadjmcloon Member Posts: 70
    I managed to decrease the resonance a good bit by adjusting my luggage rack crossbar in the back. I put one side close to the back and locked it in, and then went to the other side and pulled the bar forward (toward the front) and locked it, thus creating some tension on the luggage rack. Essentially made a bit of a diagonal across the roof with the luggage rack crossbar. I noticed a drop in resonance after doing so, as apparently it helped tighten up the roof skin a bit.

Might bring some of you some temporary sanity when driving. :)

I'm awaiting a phone call from Nissan on the supposed "parts" they're designing- anyone heard anything?

-Nathan
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Warren Brown, an excellent auto columnist from the Washington Post said in his online chat today that he will be writing about the Armada (and maybe its resonance problem) in his Sunday column in the Post. He ususally has very good contacts so it will be interesting to see if he's talked to anyone at Nissan about this. He said in his chat that he's heard about the resonance and that "it is a problem."
    I'm just wondering if those who did end up trading their Armada got a decent price. As much as I love mine, I am facing a potential financial issue and may need to sell mine and buy something cheaper. I'm just really worried as to how BAD a hit I'm going to take. It only has 4000 miles on it, and best of all, it doesn't resonate! Anybody looking for a loaded (totally loaded 47k sticker) Galaxy LE with graphite interior on the east coast???
    you dont want to know what there worth trust me, even though i lost some money on my trade it could have been alot worse, buying a new car is the worst investment ever, of course your salesman wont tell you that, and the armada not selling much and having all these issues make it harder not to lose money, your better off keeping it since you dont have any problems with yours but if you must trade it in be prepared to be shocked of what there really worth
  • jlitseyjlitsey Member Posts: 1
    I may have an interest in your Armada. Please let me know how I can contact you. I live in RI.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    No buying and selling on the Town Hall boards!

tidester, host
    I did not place an ad, per se, on this board. I'm only trying to guage how badly people have lost out by trading theirs in. Trust me, it's a last resort if I do get rid of it, I love this truck! I'm just trying to weigh all my options, and the Armada is one of the most expensive ones. I'll keep people posted as to what I decide to do. I'm not making any decision immediately.
  • interestedinterested Member Posts: 18
    I am in the market for a new Armada. Unfortunately, I understand that they do not have a cover for the stuff in the back (targa cover). Does anyone know how I could get one? Also, on my two test drives, the heated seats don't get hot, at least not to my liking. I really like the Armada, but I need a targa cover, good heated seats, plus I am concerned about the resonance and rotor issues! I don't know what to do?
    Funny, I have talked to two dealerships today and both deny ever hearing anything about a "resonance" problem. They claimed ignorance.
    The heated seats in the Armada aren't fully heated, The backrests are not, the cushions are. This does make a difference, the heated seats on my Mercedes will melt my clothes off if I let them. The Armada's are better than nothing, for sure, but not as good as they could be.
    ps- to those that were wondering- I'm persuing selling off some other stuff rather than My Armada, it's just not financially beneficial to take such a huge hit- and realistically, I would rather hang onto something that is giving me ZERO trouble than go into the unknown-
    I received a call from a dealer today telling me to "pick whatever truck I want, the parts are in." I told him to call me when they come off the line without the flaw. I don't plan to spend $40k and have my roof-liner torn out the first thing. But if they were shipping out of Canton without the flaw, I'd probably be signing papers.
  • 04redtahoe04redtahoe Member Posts: 17
    Look at the Tahoe. It has the heated seat back and cushion and when both are on it will feel like an ultra hot heating pad on your lower back. I like hot hot heated seats and I have to turn it off after a few minutes and just leave the cushion heater on 1 out of 4 (or turn that off also for a bit). And, no resonance at all.
    Thank you, RedTahoe.
    the people in our service dept. havent heard about it either. nor have the 3 competitors in town.

i just have a feeling that its more isolated than how its portrayed here.
    The only thing about Tahoes is they're woefully underpowered. Of course I tow a trailer a good bit, but I had one and the 5.3 just doesn't do it. Even with the resonance, the Nissan is a better vehicle IMO.

I recently went on a couple of long road trips towing my 5000lb trailer and 5 adults, and the Armada performed like a dream. I even had comments from the guys about how well it towed and how much power it had.
  • soldaustinsoldaustin Member Posts: 91
    When I took my Armada in last week about the rotor sound coming from under the hood, they still couldn't find it. I took it back after driving down the road for a while and it started doing it again. Naturally when I pull up it is starts to come a huge rainstorm and you couldn't even hear my truck run! So much for that. I do know though that is it hit and miss. I will get it done. Also I did find out that a Titan did come in with warped rotors at a little over 3k miles according to my service advisor. She didn't know anything about resonance but when I rode with the tech guy to try and hear the popping sound in the rear end he said it has come up many times already but they don't know what to do. He said there are a few. Funny how could he hear about it when the service writers don't know. Anyway, he said they are waiting on a fix themselves.

He also said I had no popping and for me to ride with him. Well we pull off and pop pop! He said, Whoa! I didn't hear that before. I said, it only does it every single time you pull off after sitting for a couple of minutes. It sat there for 2 days but no one heard it. Needless to say I got it back and nothing is fixed except my overhead console that finally came in. That fixed a rattle and I am thankful for that big time! The other stuff will come in time. These guys are trying and have a great attitude. Sometimes these things just don't happen when you want or rather about the time you drive off.

So in response to the earlier post. This problem (resonance)is actually probably much larger than we all know, not smaller or isolated.

I love the vehicle and will put up with problems. Like I have said before, I knew with a first year vehicle things could crop up. I have confidence they will be worked out. Nissan service dept. really is the best I have worked with as far as being helpful and concerned over what I think about my vehicle. They want me to buy again.
    Daughes:

Any word on when fix will be in place at the plant?
  • lizziec372lizziec372 Member Posts: 5
    I have only had my Armada a little over a month and I am having problems as well. I first contacted Nissan about my first problem after only having my vehicle for about a week. I have been speaking to someone in their consume affairs department ever since. When I first contacted them about, what I assume they are calling the resonance problem. I was told that they had never heard of it and that I was the first one that had complained of the problem. I see now after reading all the post, that is not the case. I have taken my Armada to the dealership twice and they could not fix the problem. I am now waiting for them to call me to bring it back in, so that they can tear out the head liner and glue something to the support beams in the roof. They are also going to replace the rear mounts under the vehicle, supposable this is going to correct the problem. I don't know about you all but the idea of them tearing out my head liner, side panels and every thing else that they have to do to my new 30k+ Armada just does not sit very well with me. So I contacted Nissan to ask if they are going to tear my Armada apart are they sure that this will fix the problem has this been done before? I could not get an answer.
    I am also experiencing a metal popping sound from under my vehicle, when I start to drive off. I don't know if this has to do with the rotor problem that I have read about in other post or what.
    I really like my Armada, I just wish that it didn't have all the problems. We have actually contacted the dealership manager about trading it for one without all the problems but of course we would lose money and I don't intend to lose money because of Nissan's mistakes. This has been a very frustrating experience.
    Thanks to aggiedog (post 2267) for the heads-up to look for today's column by Warren Brown of the Washington Post.

Here's what he wrote about the resonance:

"Both the tested Armada and Infiniti QX56 were affected by a tympanic rumbling of the roof that made naked-ear enjoyment of the audio entertainment system all but impossible. There was a rumble-rumble-rumble at low speeds that increased to an irritating hum on acceleration."

You can read the entire review on Washingtonpost.com.

PS Mr. Brown's impression of the Armada is funny, but not very complimentary overall. Opinions like his will likely affect resale down the line. Still, to each his own. If the resonance flaw were fixed at the plant, then I'd be talking to a fleet manager today.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the link:

Washington Post (via Google, no registration)

Here's the direct (free registration) link if that one dies.

Steve, Host
  • vmccaulvmccaul Member Posts: 27
    Still no resonance, rotor problems, or other major problems after over 5400 miles. Our Nissan dealer also hasn't heard of the resonance problem, but after reading the Washington Post article it obviously exists in some vehicles. Don't know why our Armada is so problem free, but I'm not complaining! Believe me, after reading this forum I've been listening carefully and can't hear anything other than engine and wind noise. Have to agree that the cabin isn't luxury quiet, much more truck like, but not the squeaky groaning of our old Exploder...err Explorer.

Some don't like the look and I agree it is unusual, but It has grown on me. I really like the way it drives. Just back from a Sierra trip and got 19 mpg...an all time high! Still not great, but pretty good for a vehicle this size.

I think I am the only pro Armada person left on this board. Hope I stay that way!
  • berisimusberisimus Member Posts: 31
    I have 5100 miles on my beast and no resonance or rotor problems. I guess I am one of the few lucky owners if one believes the high incidence of resonance reported on this forum. I just returned from a trip to Florida's west coast. The ride was much more comfortable than I can remember with my Explorer Sport. Also the seats are more to my liking and I found I could easily go 3-4 hours without any back ache or need to stretch. I listened to XM the entire way. What a treat.

I love my Armada. I installed a billet grille and molded brushed aluminum dash kit last week. Both look great IMO. Next step is to upgrade the Bose.

Notwithstanding all its pluses (IMO) the cabin could still be more quiet. If there were a cheap way to add soundproofing I would be first in line. The tire (Continentals) and wind noise (at highway speeds) together with the throaty exhaust do make the ride more noisy than I had expected. Still, it is within acceptable limits and this is my only major gripe so far. Hope not to be posting with resonance and/or rotor problems after such a problem free start. In any event, I have the gold package (100,000 or 5 years) to mitigate any future problems.

Smoke LE/Tech, graphite interior with second row bench. Accessories: HID conversion kit, Billet grille, brushed aluminum dash kit, satellite radio kit, wireless car kit
  • chuntmdchuntmd Member Posts: 17
    My Armada with 2700miles is usually just driven on the weekend. Having sat for a week I started it up yesterday. I reached in from the passenger side to turn it on so I was on the same side as the exhause.
    There was puff of blue smoke coming from the exhaust! Anyone else?
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    In many cars if you run a vehicle for a very short time (to pull in the garage for instance) there will be some residual fuel in the engine. The next time you start it you'll find it will blow out the blue smoke for a few seconds. This seems to be common with low emissions vehicles.
    the "blue" smoke is the same thing that used to come out the pipe of cars before LEV's were around. this is raw exhaust...nothing more.
  • chuntmdchuntmd Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the quick replys. I must be getting old as when I see blue smoke in my old Jeep CJ-7 (360, 304, 258) it usually means the valve guides are bad and letting oil seep into the combustion cylinder. We'll see if it happens again this weekend as we are on a trip from MD to CT.

On a side note:
    While I'm still waiting for my Prodigy brake controller I did get a Equalizer weight distribution hitch. The UPS person must hate me as the main box was 65 pounds and the bars were 38pds. I hope to trailer my CJ this week to get some exhaust work.
    Hi,

Post some pics of your Armada mods if you can..I'm particularly interested in seeing any audio/video work you get done. I've done the dash kit, wheels and tint and want to put in my aftermarket stereo and a couple of screens, but I haven't found anyone who's done any work on the Armada yet locally.

-Nathan
  • llajumpvidllajumpvid Member Posts: 76
    adjmcloon, do a search on google for "NISSAN ARMADA NAV MOD". It should return a couple of hits with the first two being video additions. I'd give you the links but I'll get slapped by steve:)
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I think the term you are looking for is "plausible deniability." I don't know any of the "dealers" who post here but I've purchased a few cars in my life and I know I've been lied to on virtually every transaction. I've caught some and missed some. There's a whole other moral argument that I won't entertain but I guess you win some and lose some with dealers.

On the post article: I think the interesting point was in the Nuts & Bolts side column in which he states:

"Purse-strings note: Nissan will have to redo the exterior; and the word from deep within the company is that a re-skinning already is in the works. The company also will have to do something about that roof noise, which is a bother. You can bargain on this one, especially considering the bountiful competition in the full-size SUV."
  • klondike_x5klondike_x5 Member Posts: 33
    Yeah I had to make a decision and I got my Armada. I've read pretty much all the post here and some from various sites, but once I drove this SUV, I knew this was for me.
    As for this noise I keep reading about do you guys/girls hear this over the music? I hear a little something but it sounds more like the tires on poor roads, but nothing like I've been reading.
  • ldbrickerldbricker Member Posts: 140
    and thankful from what I read hear that my record of zero Nissans in far too many car purchases over 30 years is still intact. Since Datsun quit making the 510 sedan it's all been downhill. That's a vehicle I may have to track down and get one day just to build a play car. After reading a number of posts over in the Subaru Cafe I had to come see what was going on. There's a significantly higher percentage of negative posts on the Armada it seems. Good luck to you all with all your issues.

Oh yeah, I wondered how many of you with brake issues have checked the torque on the lug nuts? That seems to be the most common cause of brake problems. Again, good luck.