Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada

Comments

• vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    No, 05 Pathfinder would be built in the award winning Smyrna, Tenn, not Canton, Missi. The latter is a brand new factory, newly trained workers. I suspect some of the noises and rattling are due to poor workmanship from new workers. No offense, but it is usual.

Smyrna plant on the other hand, has good reputation, and more seasoned workers. I hope 05 Pathfinder would be rid of such noise/rattling problem.

Resonance problem, on the other hand, is a design problem.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    sorry, i was mistaken. yes he is.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Wasn't he barred by the hosts? He must have atoned successfully for whatever he did to get barred in the first place then.

I may not agree with his manner all the time, but he does have useful information on ocassion.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    stick to the topic! :-)

tidester, host
  • offroadnarmadaoffroadnarmada Member Posts: 65
    Does anyone else's middle seat's (in the middle row) cup holder tray fall down whenever the middle driverside seat is adjusted/folded up? It is driving me crazy. Nissan supposably fixed it and then said that it is how all of the Armada's are. I find that hard to believe. The tray is so loose!!

Also, anyone know if installing an aftermarket (MOTION SENSING!!!) alarm can go against the warranty or anything? Having an alarm system that only goes off when someone opens a door doesn't help when you go to school with a bunch of vandals who don't have a problem beatind the crap out of someone else's vehicle.
  • big0147big0147 Member Posts: 15
    Not a bad idea lol. I did get in trouble for driving in the bus transit lane in Waikiki lol. Hey does anyone know what aftermarket dvd would fit in the overhead of the Armada
  • messmess Member Posts: 26
    No problemos with mine. It's almost too tight, the little ones can not bring it down by themselves...requires a parent....something must be wrong with yours. Good luck.
  • llajumpvidllajumpvid Member Posts: 76
    Big,
    Myron&Davis makes a monitor housing but for the price I would suggest finding a monitor and going to a custom install shop to modify your existing housing. I did that and they only charged $125....after seeing it done I could of done it but the 2-hours they worked on it would of been 4-hours for me probably(plus the anxiety of cutting the plastic)so the $125 was worth it. I've seen a all-in-one unit that mounts on top of the overhead console and is suppose to be built specifically for the Armada....(I thought it looked like a universal one though..not a clean look). I put in a 7" monitor but I bet it would fit something bigger like a 10.4".
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    After months of study, reviewing these formums and others, and three test drives, finally bought it today. We wanted the cloth interior due to our dog, so we were limited in the extras we could get. Just got the Bose system and tow package. Posted pricing details on other forum but basically got it for invoice.

I can't detect any problems at this point as it has only 30 or 40 miles. Not sure if it has any resonance or not. I could not detect any today. I did detect it in another one during a test drive.
    I would not usually pay for the extended warranty, but given it's the first year for this model, thought it was a good insurance policy.

We plan to use it primarily for traveling and possibly to pull a trailer if we get one next year.

81 Trekker
  • rosie726rosie726 Member Posts: 40
    had rotor problem at 3700 miles, Nissan "fixed" it. Now we have 6000 miles and the rotors need "fixing" again! This is not good and would appear to be a major problem.
  • big0147big0147 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks,
    What kind did you buy and did you buy the monitor and the dvd player? Where did they install the dvd player if so? I have been asking around and one place quoted me $600 dollars, thats with buying the dvd and screen from their shop. Ok folks no problems yet I did hear a little feedback thats what it sounds like to me when I initially started it up one morning on my way to the base, but not enough to be alarmed about. One more question Im looking at installing and aftermarket intake or exhuast or both to improve gas mileage and to bring cooler air to the ac any suggestins anyone?
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    I have driven the Aramada close to 10K miles. The brakes sometims tends to vibrate if they are too hot or when they accumalate brake dust. Once I clean the rotors let say after a wash the vibration when stopping goes away.

The brake dust that accumalates on the rims is a little annoying. When I had the Acura MDX it wasn't that bad, in fact, it performed well with minimal dust. Sounds like Nissan needs to beef up their rotors and maybe use a semi-metallic brake pad similar to the MDX to minmize dust.

I'll keep an eye on the brake rotors. So far I'm happy with my Armada.
  • adjmcloonadjmcloon Member Posts: 70
    Anyone notice an increase in Armada ads over the weekend? I was only in front of the tube for a couple of hours total, but I must have seen 4 or 5 Armada commercials. I'm curious if they've ramped back up the advertising because the resonance TSB came out and they figure it's fixed?
  • ksloan77ksloan77 Member Posts: 28
    not sure what amanda is tell you there....but the nissan regional director for the midwest called me at home last night and he said the following:

the parts for the roof fix have already been disigned, approved, and are now in production...and will be available to the dealers/public in about 4 weeks.

as to the lemon law --- every state is different, but just in minor ways. the point being, that if you have a vehicle that has a problem (i.e. the roof problem on the armada) then the manufacturer/dealer has the right to fix it. if it can't be fixed (the amount of tries they get vary from state to state), then you can persue the lemon law.

to all those people out there researching or considering buying an armada, please re-consider. you don't want to be in the mess i am in now (as many others are as well.) they brought this vehicle to market without de-bugging it folks. we are all beta-testing this vehicle and most of us paid top dollar for the right to be frustrated, upset and without the use of a vehicle in my situation.
  • norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    I want to pull the trigger and buy the Armada, but looks like there are to many problems. Hopefully they will all be fixed for the 05 model year. This is too bad for Nissan, looked like they were getting their act together, style wise, but now they have reliablity problems.
  • popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 50
    Anybody else have this light go on for no apparent reason? I've had it twice now..and both times on trips to the mountains in Arizona. As soon as I hit the road for Phoenix, it goes out. Wondering if it's due to the altitude, temperature, or possibly both.
    "The noise, vibration, and harshness shortfalls are unfortunate, because the Armada offers a lot of value for the dollar. Our SE-trim 4x4 came standard with such items as 18-inch alloy wheels, rear-proximity sensors (the only SUV in this group to make them standard), dynamic stability control, tire-pressure monitoring, three-row seating, an overhead console for all three rows, adjustable pedals, front-seat side-impact airbags, full-length head-curtain airbags, gated shifter, runningboards, six-disc in-dash CD player, and lots more. Yet it costs thousands of dollars less than many of its comparably equipped competitors. And it's the only full-size SUV available with a choice of XM or Sirius Satellite Radio."
  • driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    "if it can't be fixed (the amount of tries they get vary from state to state), then you can persue the lemon law"

You're mostly right, if the condition is a significant impairment of use, safety, or value -although this vibration may be very annoying, it does nto affect the use, safety, or value - a vibration or noise is not significant in the automotive legal world.
  • offroadnarmadaoffroadnarmada Member Posts: 65
    I will have to respectfully disagree with you there. Having pressure buildups in the cabin cause some people headaches (half of my family) that can and will distract from safe driving techniques. Also, how many people will want to buy a used Armada with a vibrating headache-prone roof? I would have to say that the roof also detracts from resales/value. Above all else, this is my major issue.

Those of us who payed cash have no backdoors or loopholes to get out of. While I might not be paying monthly, I have a vehicle that's investment value might be less than that of a Tahoe - and you can get a one-year-old Tahoe for half the price (not bashing, I love tahoes, but their resale value can be a bit lacking due to the amount of them on the road).

As of use, I could bring up the rattling DVD players or any aftermarket roof-type customizations. This is a serous problem that should not have left the Nissan factories. Coming from my mother's 1990 240SX that does not have a single problem, I am a bit skeptical...

I love my baby and I hope that my issues are just flukes that won't come up again, but if she continues on the path she is currently treading, I wouldn't be surprised to see her wheels fall off in a few more years... :/
    but as the guy who testifies and argues with defense attorneys and judges about what is significant to use, safety, and value, or not, I know what judges and juries think and rule on. Rattles, noises, and vibrations don't get you lemon law buybacks - it may get you trade assistance.

Hey, I'm a consumer advocate - I'm on your side. And no, I'm not a lawyer.

I never said it wasn't frustrating, headache-inducing, or stress-causing - I'm just saying it's not lemon law material.
    is too subjective. i can say that my back hurts after you bump into me in line at the grocery store. then sue you to pay for my groceries. this is the same idea.
    only lemon laws don't allow for personal injury, time off from work, inconvenience, etc.
    this is exactly what im talking about...

you are going by the half-dozen people that have posted on here.

there are literally THOUSANDS of trouble-free armadas on the road.

do your research, and dont do anything you are uncomfortable with, but remember...

take it with a grain of salt.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The press is interested in your Armada, problem free or not:

prlady1 "Talk to the Press" May 3, 2004 6:40pm

Steve, Host
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Armada owners,

I write for a national publication and would like to talk to some Pathfinder Armada owners. Some have had no problems and others have had many quality issues. I’m interested in both. You must be willing to be interviewed and quoted by name in print. If you are so inclined and would like to tell your Armada story, please send me an email at carguy147@hotmail.com by Tuesday, May 4, 2004.
    I bought a Blaupunkt DVD/TV tuner for $155 and a Blaupunkt 7" monitor that ended up being less than $200 after I sold the other monitor and DVD player that came in a set ($389 was the cheapest I found the monitor by itself on the web)...The monitor is great quality with a wide angle for viewing. There isn't anywhere from the back two rows that you can't see the picture. I was just looking at it and I retract the 10.4" maybe fitting in there. an 8" maybe 9" would but I haven't seen those sizes without being built into a flipdown. ebay is where I got everything. I put the DVD player in the front center console, my daughter isn't old enough to change the disk yet. I don't know of a better place that is easily accessible. $600 doesn't sound to bad if the equipment is name brand. I routed the audio to the AUX jack behind the dash and tapped the cig plug in the console for switched power and the passenger seat for always on power. Hope this helps.
  • sub9904sub9904 Member Posts: 72
    Surely you jest. I'm sure there have been more than 6 people who have posted about their problems on this board. Look at the survey that was done months ago. It had over 20 owners who experienced the resonance issue if memeory serves me correct. I want to say 29 but dont remember. Assuming of course they were real owners.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that the number of house holds with computers isn't that great. Somewhere in the 50 percentile last I read. Soooo with that in mind how many of those owners of Armadas have computers with access to the internet? How many actually post? A lot of people use computers but don't necessarily know how to go on line etc. Lots of companies put firewalls in place to prevent people from posting too. There could very well be thousands of trouble free cars. What we do know is that the Armada does have a problem with resonance and it appears with rotors as well.

I for one truly hope Nissan fixes the problems because the new Suburbans look plain ugly! I'll even go the car top route before I buy a new burb.
    person experiencing a problem makes it no longer a lemon law case. A lemon law case is based on the concept that yours is the only vehicle that's defective -

We've lost cases because some guy shows up with chat room printouts and letters to prove that 100 other people have the same problem...
  • newsuvhunternewsuvhunter Member Posts: 5
    with this problem, then it must be a manufacturing defect. When will the product be recalled and monies be refunded? Not that this is in the same league as defective tires that blowout and cause death, but having a headache all the time you drive and then getting into an accident would still be a problem.

I would like to see that court case where the judge drives the Armada with 6 jurists in the car and the judge has a throbbing headache and orders Nissan to refund monies to owners, after the jurists all sue the judge. LOL!!!
    a soap opera...

Sure, they may have a recall, who knows? I doubt this is a judge and jury class action candidate, though. No more than the wind noise in my wife's PT GT....
  • klondike_x5klondike_x5 Member Posts: 33
    Granted I'm new to the Armada experience,but my truck is AWESOME. My entire family loves it and my friends wish they had one. As far as the noise, I've posted before how much interior noise are you talking? I've heard people say it's like driving with the windows down to a low bass sound that drowns out the radio. My really big beef with Nissan is that they chose the worst tires in AMERICA to put on this truck, and that will be the first thing I will change on the truck.
  • gecko66gecko66 Member Posts: 5
    I have been researching the Armada since it was released and had been keeping up with the discussions here. I hate to see the problems others have had. I purchased mine about three weeks ago and absolutely love this thing! I have put on about 700 miles and can not hear or feel any vibration from the roof. I have even placed my hand on the roof while driving and can not feel any vibration. I will post here if I end up with any problems. The Armada was the best vehicle for my needs, so I pulled the trigger! I LOVE IT!
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    The TSB including detailed instructions for the procedure to fix the resonance problem are posted at infinitihelp.com for the QX56 under "bulletins". Interestingly, there is no similar procedure listed at nissanhelp.com for the Armada.
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    This tires are crap. After 10K mikes I have to replace 2 of them. They wore down passed the minimum amount. Ridiculous. Where's the Michelin Cross-Terrain for the Armada. This is completely unacceptable. Now the tire light is on and won't go off. First unscheduled trip to the dealer. Oh well.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Your "ContraCrap" tires came with a warranty, just like the vehicle.

What kind of tire pressures are you running to have two tires worn down after 10,000 miles?

Maybe that's why the tire light is on, to indicate a problem with the amount of pressure in the tires?
    "Your "ContraCrap" tires came with a warranty, just like the vehicle."

Sorry, that's incorrect - there's no mileage guarantee/warranty, no road hazard, and no more than "manufacturer workmanship" on those tires. That's the warranty on all OEM tires, save for a few high-line vehicles where the dealer may step up to help you out.

There's absolutely no warranty from Nissan on those tires, and little or none from the tire manufacturer.

I, too, had the question as to why TWO needed replaced at 10k - weren't they rotated? Were you doing burnouts? Using curbs as a parking aide?
  • wildwillswildwills Member Posts: 5
    shark715,

I'm originally from south central, PA (York Co.), now in southern IL (active duty AF). I'm stongly considering the Armada for my next vehicle. As any PA resident knows, PA has the worst roads/highways in the country. Pot holes, literally big enough to swallow a small compact car (especially in Northeast PA).

So from one Pennsylvanian to another, can you tell me if there's a lot of resonance/headliner movement while driving on PA roads? What about any severe creeks or flex in the dash or body?

Thanks
    Wildwill, I don't think I'm in a position to answer your question, at least not yet. I did test drive an Armada yesterday as well as a QX56 this morning. I could not find any really bad roads near either dealer...perhaps the salespeople were skillfully keeping me away from them? I did notice what I thought was a minor amount of resonance from the QX56, but not from the Armada. I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but the Armada had a sunroof and the QX56 I drove did not. I'm assuming that the presence of a sunroof would make the roof and headliner more structurally solid, but I'm just guessing. According to the Technical Service Bulletin, sunroof equipped trucks have one less cross-member in the roof. Perhaps the trucks now coming from the factory have this condition corrected? Perhaps I was just unable to find a bumpy enough road? Or perhaps I just drove two units that aren't afflicted with the problem. I've followed this forum for a while and it seems like there are numerous people who have the reasonance issue and there are numerous people who don't. I did not notice any creaking noises at all in the body, dash, or interior parts of either truck, but then again I did not go on any really bad roads...also keep in mind both trucks I drove had less than 100 miles on them. I can tell you that the QX is noticeably quieter than the Armada. I do love the V8 exhaust note, but I suspect it might get old after a while. I read somewhere that they used a lot more sound deadening material in the QX and that it the major factor why the QX weighs 200 lbs. more than the Armada.
  • dtagsdtags Member Posts: 3
    The overhead console squeaks like crazy. Waited 7 weeks for new console and still squeaks. Irritating as hell. Anyone else with this problem?
  • tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    Doesn't get old...at least for me =o) Now that it's warm out, I can actually roll down my windows and REALLY enjoy it!
    I too wonder how 10,000 miles could kill off 2 tires- I have over 6k on my Continentals and they still look like new, and I'm not a baby with my Armada. I do have to say, I had to replace the continentals on my Benz at 24k, which I felt a little unusual. Not the greatest tires, for sure...To that PA question, Massachusetts roads are just as bad as PA roads, trust me! But I feel it's all relative- even the most well put together vehicle will eventually start rattling if you drive over potholes every day. Maybe steering around them would help??(This may cause your Continentals to wear out at 10K tho LOL) Still no problems here witn the Galaxy Cruiser- gotta make an appt. for my next oil change and first tire rotation, nothing for me to complain about at this time, I'll have them inspect the brakes, but only because others are having trouble, I think they are still every bit as good as when I first drove it.
    My noise is coming from the sunroof...they are ordering a new one.

Anyway, Try loosening the screws a little, backing them out a little might give some clearance with what is squeaking. I'm talking no more than 1/8 to a 1/4 turn should be enough if it is going to work. I took my rear overhead down to put in a video screen and there is a piece of foam that is between the console and the roof cross member above the rear audio controls. You might check that it is there...mine was just wedged in there and it fell out when we took the console down..if it's not there I bet it will give you some noise. Also after we put the console back in I had a rattle and figured out the rear clips did not fully seat. You really have to push up hard to get them to snap in. Try pulling down on the edges and you will be able to tell if any aren't fully seated.
    The console is not hard to take down, 4 bolts 2-each storage bin and then a bunch of clips around the edge. Once its down you can unhook the audio controls and slide the unit out. If the loosening of the screws doesn't work you might want to take it down and put some cloth tape on everything that looks like it might cause a squeek....or ask(tell) the dealer to do it... Hope this helps.
    im going to make a few assumptions here...

1. its a 2 wheel drive (rear)
    2. the affected tires are the rear ones
    3. the tires have not been rotated
    4. the truck in question has not been babied

i once had a lady come in with a 2000 mountaineer (during the firestone witchhunt) screaming about how she was going to die because the front tires are rounded on the edges and the back ones werent.

the truck had 8k miles on it, so i asked when the last rotation was. she said:

"i dont have to rotate them...i leased it."
    Does anyone know exactly what these are? The Nissan website does not list them as a dealer installed accessory for the Armada, but the Infiniti website lists them as an accessory for the QX56, as does the QX56 brochure I received at the dealer today. However, neither the website nor the brochure offers any details. I also saw a window sticker on an Armada yesterday that listed available accessories, and towing mirrors appeared on that list, too. It was a marketing sticker that appears to have been put on at the factory next the "price" sticker. Finally, I noticed that towing mirrors are part of the towing package on Titan pickups, but there are no details offered on the Nissan website.
    The QX56 brochure lists the above as an available accessory...an air bag anti theft bolt for the driver's side and an air bag anti-theft nut for the passenger side. I assume the same thing fits Armadas. Does anyone know exactly what this is?
  • tiggertigger Member Posts: 1
    I love the sound from the engine when you pull around to pass and it takes off like a rocket (very similar to my wifes BMW) I love my Armada so far, at 1500 mi. I traded in my 94 Grand Cherokee .
  • presplanpresplan Member Posts: 30
    Just looked over all the details of the TSB for the "booming" noise as they call it. Looks pretty bad when you see all the parts and details that go into the fix. Is it really worth it to fix the problem? I can't imangine that the fix is any better then the problem. I get the feeling that new problems will arise in more sqeaks and rattles after they take everything apart and put it back together. Looks complicated and time consumig. Can't see them being patient enough to do everything by the book. and if you are the first one that your service department is doing this on - good luck!
  • norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    If there is a TSB for the resonance, then Nissan acknoledges there is a problem and is wide spread. That is what I'm talking about when I say I don't want to pull the trigger. I saw the "fix" at nissanhelp.com and I'm not subjecting my car to that procedure. Nissan needs to come up with a fix at the factory before they earn my money.
  • shopinfulshopinful Member Posts: 47
    We have had our Armada since Jan. and love it. 1500 miles now. No noise inside unless you open one window a bit. of course, we heard the same sound in our 2 4 Runners with a cracked window. Everyone that sees it, loves it and comments how big it is inside and how nice it looks. Can't complain. I am sure there are some with problems but remember that you always hear from those with problems and most that have no problems you don't hear from.... that's just the way it is. I am not saying that those with problems shouldn't let the rest of us know. But be sure not to overreact to the negative - many new cars have glitches. Of course we are keeping an eye on things to make sure ours continues to drive and sound great!
    Purchased a smoke LE with 4 wheel drive. Did I mention how wonderful that 4 wheel drive reacts when needed!