Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada

Comments

• nwarmadanwarmada Member Posts: 7
    Your profile states that you have a Ford Focus and a Pontiac Grand Am. Do YOU have an Armada. I view this board to get honest feedback from people that may or may not be having problems with their Armada. It seems that you spend a fair amount of your time being defensive, argumentative, and down right unprofessional. This will be my last post to the board. This board has been reduced to an ineffective outlet for discussing the Armada. Later Dude!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There is no requirement that participants in this discussion must own an Armada. Many come here looking for information to help them make a decision on whether to buy one and some just like to discuss all kinds of vehicles. I wouldn't let a few posts that I don't care to read dissuade me from participating in and contributing to the discussion. That little wheel on the Mouse comes in handy for scrolling past things we don't care to read - it's a remarkable invention! :-)

It's also remarkable how setting an example with new insights, tips or challenging questions can raise the level of the discussion. Try it!

tidester, host
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    dude...

(had to get that in)

no, but i deal with more armadas on a daily basis than anyone else here, and i speak to that experience when i can.
  • schowschow Member Posts: 15
    Hello. New to forum. Apologize if this has already been addressed.
    I have an Armada LE 4x4 since Jan 2004. Has been in dealer shop at least 4 times already. Mostly simple interior fit and finish problems.
    BUT, this summer noticed that the engine fan runs all the time, even when the engine is cold (1st start). Nissan service states that this is normal??? Don't know if I trust that assessment. Anyone else with the same problem?
    Also, now the car shimmies when brakes are applied.
    I love the aggressive appearance of the SUV, but with all these problems that should have been caught on the assembly line, I seriously doubt that I would purchase another.
  • klondike_x5klondike_x5 Member Posts: 33
    Just hang in there,it's true alot of these people don't own an Armada and are just HATERS.
    6200 miles since April and no major problems
  • tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    9100 miles now on the Galaxy LE 4X4 w/tech,DVD, etc....(build date Jan. 04, owned since Jan 04) Still loving it! No major problems to speak of. Gotta go in for my oil change, the only other thing I'm having them do is fix the rattle in the sunroof, and I'm not complaining, it's to be expected of a first year vehicle that I have literally beaten the snots out of. I have towed monster trailers, trudged through New England snow and ice, and am in the middle of moving all my worldly posessions to my new home- this puppy can hold some big furniture! It got a ton of looks at the resort I stayed at, too. I only saw one other on my trip, not too many up "theah" yet.....
  • waynebrucewaynebruce Member Posts: 16
    While not a frequent poster, I did start posting when I purchased my Armada back in February. This is an update of what I have encountered so far, both good and bad.

First, the interior fit and finish of this vehicle was abysmal, and is only getting worse. It has been to the dealer four times and each time it seems they quiet the issues for a while, but they always come back. Rattles from the seats, overhead console, rear hatch, you name it and I've got them. Very disappointing to say the least.

I have also had most of the problems that others have noted: brake rotors warped and were cut/new pads installed. Fluttering helicopter sound when engine gets hot, bad FM reception, etc. Also now getting a loud metallic clank from the front end when going up a driveway apron and some hard clanks when shifting from drive to reverse. Also a vibration from underneath (perhaps exhaust??) when first started in morning, though it goes away when warmed up.

On the positive side, mileage has gotten much better as engine has broken in. Now getting about 15 mpg around town...not bad I'd say. Engine is still a delight and the power is intoxicating. Still drives great and the initial engine noise seems to have died down a bit or I'm just getting used to it.

Overall, I can say that I would not recommend this vehicle. Too much shoddy workmanship and nagging problems. I've owned many new cars before, both foreign and domestic, and this has to be one of the worst experiences I've had. It is really depressing to hear the whole truck shudder, squeak, rattle, etc everytime I drive on a road that isn't perfectly smooth. I asked my dealer tech if he thought this was normal and if I should get a Nissan rep to take a ride in it. He said that as long as the truck drove relatively well on a smooth road (which it does) then Nissan will not think there is a problem. Don't know if this is true, but I'm thinking of getting rid of it so as to not suffer daily. I have no idea what it might be worth in trade, but figure I'll have my head handed to me.

To make matters worse, a good friend bought the new 2004 Durango. He has the 4.7L engine, thus no comparison as to power/torque/acceleration etc. That truck blows my Armada away when it comes to interior fit/finish and ride quality. The truck has no rattles that I can hear, and believe my i listened closely. Everything fits well and the ride is almost car like. Drive it over bad roads and you hear no rattles or squeaks. It really exudes quality, unlike my Armada which sounds like it is going to fall apart on bad roads. Never would believe that a Dodge could beat Nissan for quality, but in terms of fit and finish, Nissan has a ways to catch up.

Too bad for Nissan. I'm sure they'll eventually get it right, but I doubt I'll ever be buying another Nissan vehicle. The Armada looks great and drives great, but the devils are in the details, and on this count, and at least with my truck, I give the Armada and Nissan a solid D....for disappointing!!!
  • warrant_erowarrant_ero Member Posts: 16
    Sorry to hear about your problems, currently I will be in the market for a full size SUV, had considered an Armada and even had test drove one and really liked it. I am still hoping that they get the problems corrected in the 2005 model. I hope nissan will make some kind of statment on what their plan is to fix these issues. 200 engineers from Japan are quite a few pairs of eyes looking at the manufacturing and parts suppliers. If nissan will pony up and have a game plan to correct issues I think that will restore faith in their product vice saying nothing at all.
  • waynebrucewaynebruce Member Posts: 16
    I think Nissan probably will get the bugs out. What is a shame is all the negative publicity that they have gotten regarding these trucks. As the saying goes, you only get one chance for a first impression. Once a nameplate gets a reputation it takes years for it wear off...both good and bad. What Nissan should do is silence the critics by fixing their wrongs. That is, if some of the early trucks off the line are plagued by problems, then they should take them back on a trade for a new Armada that has these problems fixed. I don't expect them to buy back my truck outright. Hey, I'd be more than happy if they could just fix it once and for all. But if that is not a possibility, then take back my truck and give a new one. I'd even be willing to pay a little to get this done. This is not unheard of. I had a Lexus with a bunch of little nagging problems that kept it in the shop. After numerous attempts to fix without success, Lexus took back my old car and sold be new one at very attractive price. I paid a little to get it done, but was very happy in the end and will always rave about Lexus. I know Nissan is not Lexus (or Infiniti for that matter), but something should be done about the early trucks that came off the line and are plauged by problems. ARE YOUR LISTENING NISSAN?????
  • jack danielsjack daniels Member Posts: 8
    Thanks! I will try them. We are now at 37850 + TTL. I am hoping Nissan drops financing to 0.9% from 1.9% or even 0% tomorrow since the 1.9% is only effective through today. They added $500 bucks to cash back 7/1 when June sales numbers were reported and came in less than the last 3 months. Bad for them hopefully good for me. :)

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the help.
    Me too. These issues concern me but I would expect that from a 1st year vehicle. FYI..They kicked up the rebate $500 7/1 since June sales came in below target. Today is the last day of 1.9% financinf we will see if they drop it or extend it.
    Has anyone heard of the dealer offering to remove the buckets and put in a bench? I want a bench but they have buckets in the one I want but they said they can switch the seat out. Is there any safety concerns? warrantly limitations if they do this?
  • junk_foodjunk_food Member Posts: 4
    I cannot go back and check the stock number on carmax.com When I originally posted, carmax did NOT show every option available listed for that stock number. I compared the options listed on the stock number to carsdirect.com and came up with my number. That's why I questioned the MSRP listed <shrug>.
  • offroadnarmadaoffroadnarmada Member Posts: 65
    I haven't heard of this, so I have to ask - you ARE talking about the middle seats, right? To change the front bucket seats to bench would take a lot of work since the shifter is in the middle of the two seats... I would have loved a bench front, by the way, if any Nissan rep. reads these...
    You are right I am talking about the second row buckets being changed to bench.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I'm sure those financing options will come around again. Of course 0.9% or 1.9% is great but anything these days under 4% is very good. I'm still waiting for the 05's although Infiniti has sent me a brochure of the QX56 and my wife has already picked out her colors and options. I may be going in different direction.
  • 514329514329 Member Posts: 60
    looking to buy Armada SE 4X4 (invoice is $34241 minus $1500 rebate) against Sequoia SR5 4X4 base (invoice is $33128 minus $750 rebate) and need honest opinion on both SUV owners. thank you
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    If you don't keep a vehicle very long and can deal with some squeaks and rattles, buy the Armada. It's a lot more fun to drive and has all of the bells and whistles. If you tow the Armada is a big plus as well..

If you keep a vehicle a long time, buy the Sequoia-it will be considerable less problematic The engine is a bit anemic, but the overall build quality of Toyota has Nissan beat, hands down.
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    Contrary to the last poster, if you keep a vehicle short term the Toyota will hold its value much better. If you need to tow than the Sequoia may prove not the best choice, but for everything else it is very capable.
    I both test drive them and my oppinion was that the toyota was quiet inside but need more power going uphill while nissan is better on that side but can hear engine and road noise inside. another thing is since Armada is a new model, there's a lot of problems coming up base on this forum but so did the Sequoia when it first came out, so me and my wife are kind struggling and having a difficult decision on w/c one. and beside the Armada is coming out cheaper but still very new, right? we just don't want to loose money again like when we bought our Montero 2001 Limited and have a bad rollover issue and have to trade and lost $5000 after a yr.
  • 04redtahoe04redtahoe Member Posts: 17
    If you enjoy being in the shop with TSB's and ripped-out headliners, buy the Armada. If you want to drive your SUV, buy the Toyota, unless you need to tow a submarine, in which case, you should buy a powerstroke diesel truck.
  • sub9904sub9904 Member Posts: 72
    I test drove both. I liked the Armada by a long shot. Interior seating space you can't beat. Power no comparison. Trouble free? Not likely unless you get lucky. That's of course one assumes that the majority of dudes posting are over the age of 15.

To me the Sequoia was high reving. Toyota needs to put a real V-8 in their trucks. Interior was plane and dated. Not very comfortable either. Didn't like their 3rd row seats but then they do split if I remember correctly. Towing capicity isn't that great. Rated for around 6500lbs but I'd like to see someone tow that much weight up the Grapevine on I-5. Heck even 3000lbs would probably tax the Toyota. Problem free? Probably much better than the Armada. Better resale value too. Although isn't this the last year before Toyota does a makeover?

So it really depends on what you want the SUV for. For me I'll go with the Armada when Nissan gets it's stuff together and fixes the problems. Otherwise I'll be driving my outdated burb for another 8 years because I won't be buying another GM. And Ford well they ain't even on the radar.
    thanks guys for your input and I'll be considering all your oppinions. on resale, well isn't that if I get the Armada at invoice minus the $1500 rebate, it would be even after 5 yrs? but then again, there is this TSB problem unless Nissan fix all the bug. I also have a 2001 Pathfinder LE 4X4 going 38000 miles now and just have the brake rotors rotated after 27000 miles and exhaust sensor problem under warranty during those times. I'll be checking a Siena LE AWD too today cause my wife like it too. anyway just keep your oppinion coming in. thanks
    I also test drove both trucks and I chose the Armada,but I knew what I was getting into with this truck. I think you have to real with yourself and evaluate if you want to deal with a first run truck. The sequoia was just plain and didn't have the power I was looking for and didn't have any of the amenities that other Suvs come with today. The Sequoia is a good truck but in my BIAS opinion my Armada is better. If you can wait just hold out until the '05 comes out and go for it and you will enjoy this truck.
    any clue when is the 05 coming?
  • btill1btill1 Member Posts: 69
    I to test drove both the Armada and Sequia, and to my surprise my wife liked the Armada better for two reasons the 2nd row captains chairs and the fold flat 3rd row seat. If I were you I would wait to hear what Toyota is doing with the 05 Sequia before I made a decision, if they upgrade it it may be worth it to wait. I have 12.5K miles on my Armada and I love it, I have had no major problems except a sunroof rattle on occasion which I can live with. I also have had a problem with the drivers side window, the glass came off the track and damaged the "run" so they have ordered a new one and will give me a rental when it goes back in the shop.
    Yeah it is nice but I can't see spending that at this point in my budget. Nissan did keep the 1.9% until 8/4/04 I am holding out a bit longer as the dealer is still ringing my phone daily which means they want to sell. The best part is I don't need it until October/November so either I get a slammin' deal or I wait for an '05. Aggie have you heard anything about them changing the buckets out for a bench in the 2nd row???

Just want to make sure there are no safety issues since my kid will be in that seat.
    guess what, we just been to a Nissan dealer and check out an Armada (black). My wife love everything about it and she like the huge tires and standard running board that comes std w/ it compared to the Sequioa base SR5 4X4 that we test drove last night. the only thing I notice after checking it out 4 times this month at 3 dealers is when I start knocking at the dash, the ceiling, well the plastic vibrates so easily bec. it so thin. anyway, my wife loved the roominess inside, that power pedal, that rotary switch for the 4X4 like our 01 PF. now she is also having a hard time choosing between the 2.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I don't know. You would think it could be done rather easily since I believe you can remove the center console in the second row. Maybe some of the sales/service guys can ring in on that one.
    None,they only list the Altima for '05. The weird thing is that I've been looking because my wife wants one (Armada). I'm getting tired of telling her "no,woman, you can't drive my truck"
    well at least my wife isn't interested on driving it but she love it and were still comparing the 2. it's like every were I look the Armada comes out cheaper by its invoice minus the rebate. anyway I was at the dealer again this afternoon and check again that dashboard and ceiling console and i try to knock on them and their not so bad except that that plastic right at the center where the audio and aircon controls are and those ceiling console are really cheap I guess if the road has inperfection, they will shake, rattle and roll. also the very last window at the rear, when I open them, it looks like they will rattle too. have you notice this too? I might get it anytime now but I'm not in a hurry anyway. I'm still checking reviews by owner on this 2 SUV. from what I have read in this forum, they both have the same problem w/ quality isn't it. by the way, what's your gas milelage? cause I know, the Seq is 11 mpg city base on the gauge at the rearview mirror on the Limited. thanks!!!
    I haven't had any problems with rattling on any parts of my car. I will tell you this: I wouldn't pay for the bose system again. It's sounds really good when you listen to movies through the speakers, unfortunately, that's not how I planned to use this feature(kids). Basic speakers will do the same or maybe better for music, so don't waste your $750. As far as mpg I get about 13cty/15hwy on average; I guess that isn't bad. Below is a link to the '05 pathfinder; this is the truck I think my wife will get this fall. Hopefully, this will get her out of my ARMADA. ;)
    Good luck.
    http://www.nctd.com/printversion-sneak.cfm?ReviewID=46
    thanks!!!!!!!
    hi, just want to get your experience and oppinion on your Armada. planning to get one, either Seq or this anytime now but still can't come up w/ decission. thanks!!!!
    by the way, the Armada I'm looking at is the base SE 4X4 w/ tow package (MSRP 37770.00)for $34600 - $1500 vs. Seq SR5 4X4 base (steel rims w/ 245/70/16 tires) for $32122.00 invoice + upgraded alloy wheel, running board, etc. etc. Thanks again.
  • charfarrowcharfarrow Member Posts: 8
    I bought my truck from the same dealer and had an excellent experience with the purchase process.
  • charfarrowcharfarrow Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know how to change the fluid in the rear differential on a 4x4 LE Armada?
    my purchase experience was a nightmare, but then again it's probobly safe to assume you aren't 18, so i guess that could be concidered a fluke (i ended up driving an hour and a half away to buy the same vehicle just because it was from a different dealership).

anyway, my truck has been in the shop 6 times with a 7th coming up when more pieces come in to replace. i absolutely love how she drives, her acceleration, control, just about everything about the truck is exactly what i was looking for. my issue is that my windows are constantly messing up and there are so many little issues to deal with. personally, i think it is best to wait for the '05 model. assuming that these little sqeaks/rattles and other issues are resolved, this is by far the best suv on the market.
  • 04armadagalaxy04armadagalaxy Member Posts: 11
    I just reached 7,000 miles and the truck is almost flawless! The only problem I have is a sqeak from rear area of the truck on hot days only. I average 400 miles between fill-ups with the AC running all the time.
    You can get a better deal for this truck the invoice is about $33k, so hold out until you find a dealer that will sale you the truck close or below invoice. You may have to do a little leg work, but in these times every dollar saved is important. HAPPY HUNTING
    7000 Miles and still problem free
  • davemandaveman Member Posts: 19
    I thought I would weigh in on the comparisons we did between a Sequoia and Armada.

To me, the steering and suspension on the Sequoia felt mushy and non-responsive. My wife said she thought she was driving an oversized bathtub when she drove the Sequoia because of the mushy feel. It seemed to strain to just pass someone on the road.

In our opinion, the Armada is more responsive and makes me feel more "in touch with the road". The power and acceleration, and responsiveness are all significantly greater in the Armada. The downside of this is that the Armada provides a rougher and slightly noisier ride. I also have a 1992 Trooper, and I think the noise and roughness of the Armada is similar to the Trooper. If you are looking for a smooth, car like ride - don't get the Armada. If you want space and comfort, responsiveness and power - the Armada wins hands down.

I have driven the Armada 3600 miles, towed a trailer over 11,000 ft peaks in Colorado and have had no issues. No significant rattles, no resonance, nothing inside has broken off, no shimmy,... So I am pleased with my purchase. I am sure Nissan has had some new car QA challenges with the Armada, but it certainly has not impacted all the vehicles.

Good luck with your decision.
    Hey Klondike, I did go for the Armada last night bec. I just can't get a better deal w/ Toyota, either Siena or Sequoia. I got an SE 4X4 w/ tow for $34024.00 out the door and they paid off my trade w/c is $1264.00 while Siena XLE package 17 would cost $32880.00 (invoice) + $1000.00 internet sales profit + tax and Seq SR5 4X4 w/ alloy wheels and running board and 6 disc for $37000.00 something + tax + $2500.00 negative equity on my trade (no way). anyway it's a sweet deal huh!
    Daveman, I agree w/ you on the Armada, cause it got a lot of power driving it from Highland ranch to I25 going down to Castlerock is a blast. I haven't tried it yet on I70 going to Winterpark. its still in a breakin period but I'll keep you guys posted. I did hear some minor rattles here and there so what, the Siena center dash board w/c is also cheap plastic (where the audio are located) also created a creeking sound when I hit some minor bump (did notice that the steering wheel is not centered on the dash gauge, funny huh!!!)so thus the Seq. o by the way, mine has a 05-04 date on the door and only 9 days in the lot. LOTS OF THANKS GUYS.
    Welcome to the Armada world, I think you will be happy with this truck. It's unfortunate that some people have had some bad experiences with this truck because it is awesome. keep us posted on your truck's status.
  • ddssjsk9ddssjsk9 Member Posts: 36
    Most vehicles with electric fans. Fan or fans run all the time with AC on. Should cycle on demand with AC off.
    There is a TSB on the brake issue "Brake Judder" Bring this to you service writers attention. You may also view it on the nissan webb site.
    Had to have rotors turned on my 02 Qx4. Didn't realise there was a tsb on it until after the fact. Now I have a brake moan. Am tradeing it for an Armada though. I'll let the next owner worry about the issue. If I have the issue with the armada at least I can argue this time.
    How many miles do you guys have and has you Armada gotten better gas mileage since your purchase?
    7122k about 14cty/15hwy
    actually i have my pda set up to log my gas mileage, it has increased by a few tenths of a gallon every week (or fill-up). I am at about 12.1 MPG right now... I drive a 40-mile highway trip 5 of 7 days a week, the rest is city... about 70/30. but the 30% city is, ah, heavy-footed...
  • adjmcloonadjmcloon Member Posts: 70
    I've averaged about 14.8 since my purchase in Feb. I'm at just over 10k...
    right now w/ 500 miles on it, I computed around 12.73 mpg 1/3 city, 1/3 uphill mountain driving and 1/3 highway.