Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada

Comments

• 514329514329 Member Posts: 60
    I don't have that resonance issue but I did brought it up to her where she told me that there was a tsb on it and they did it on one car. right now, they will work on my brakes w/c after 8000 miles started to shimmy. I have 9200 miles on it and so far, that's the only major issue I have and some small rattles inside the door w/c they fix right away. you can also talk to the service manager who is very very accomodating. the thing is, I bought mine on Havana but there service is bellow average. try to get an oil change and took a week to get an appointment and 1 hr to wait while on Arapahoe, you could have it the next day and 40min or less to wait.
  • topazm3topazm3 Member Posts: 6
    Hey Midblues: what is the source on your #2?? I've only found Stoptech which requires 19" wheels, or slotted rotors. TIA for the info.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Anyone know if the non-bose equipped vehicles have a std 1/2/2.5 DIN slot for the stereo?

All the pics I see on the web are the bose version.

-mike
  • adjmcloonadjmcloon Member Posts: 70
    I installed a complete replacement system in my 04 Armada. There is a 2 din hole back there- Metra makes a kit to fit it.

There's a pic of my head unit after install at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/547845
  • nwhikernwhiker Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Armada '05 SE 4x4 about a month now and got about 2K miles (mostly freeway).

I'm estimating the mileage is around 13.5miles/gal at 70mph avg freeway speed and without towing. This's not even close to the 18 miles/gal rating from Nissan. Just curious what the best mileage/driving condition others Armada owner actually get?
    You do realize that those figures are done at 55mph and no wind resistance right?

I own an Isuzu trooper and the minute I go over 60mph my milage drops like a rock. I thought it was messed up when I first bought it but then I was stuck in heavy but moving traffic at 55mph for an extended trip, pulled out 1mpg over the one on the sticker. So try doing a trip at 55mph and see if you get near the sticker. Don't forget these trucks have the aerodynamics of BRICK WALL :)

-mike
  • midbluesmidblues Member Posts: 3
    http://www.brake-pros.com/brakepros.asp?action=submit&make_id- =23&model_id=2749&sYear=2005

This is the web page hopefully this is what you looking for.
  • tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    I'm still averaging about 16.7 mixed driving, primarily country under 60 mph driving. I've got 18k on mine now- almost at my one year anniversary with the Black Beauty (or beast, depends on my mood) =o)
  • topazm3topazm3 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks... kit looks OK.
  • kidsddskidsdds Member Posts: 11
    What is the TSB on the brakes? Is there somewhere to find out all of the TSB's?
  • kidsddskidsdds Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the website!
  • llajumpvidllajumpvid Member Posts: 76
    look two post above you for the link #3348. At this time yes the rotor turning and new pads are the fix. The 1800nissan1 girl told me Nissan is aware of the problem and a permenent fix is on the way. Mine went at 6000 as well. I called to find out if I was going to have to expect a brake job every other oil change and she said they are "finalizing the replacements" and it should be out soon. I've heard from other sources April?
  • 514329514329 Member Posts: 60
    mine started at 8000 miles but very minimal and brought it in at 9000 miles.

this is what they did:

PB25AA turn both rotors on vehicle 6160 WN40

1 41060-7S027 pad kit

2 41014-7S010 member-tor

2 40135-7S025 boot kit-f

4 41005-7S000 bolt

all where done in 1 and 1/2 hrs.

hope this could help.
    Wow acura has a V8 SUV with offroad capabilities and 9100lb towing capacity? Didn't realize they had out a new vehicle.

Also anyone who buys Version 1 of ANY vehicle should know there will be issues. Take the MDX/Oddeysy Version 1 where their transmissions blew up shortly into life...

-mike
  • btill1btill1 Member Posts: 69
    Does any body know if you can hook up an IPOD through the auxiliary jack and how it sounds?

Thanks, Brian
  • suzy0418suzy0418 Member Posts: 11
    9 miles per gallon, I only get 270 miles to a full tank of gas. Its over a 100 miles less then what the sticker price stated. It sucks
    Scott174 I'm intersted in anything you can tell me. I myself is having problems with my 04 armada. It was build in July 2004. I thought that anything after June04 problems were corrected. Did you get a new truck out of the lemon law? How did it work? Did they buy it back or evenexchange it? Where did you buy your truck?

Please email me back at your earliest convience.

Thank you,

Susan

Suzy0418@aol.com
    WHAT KIND OF GAS DO YOU USE? I'M A MOM WHO USES IT FOR AROUND TOWN DRIVING I GET 9MILES TO THE GALLON. WHATS YOUR SECRET???
  • llajumpvidllajumpvid Member Posts: 76
    try taking it on a couple hundred mile highway trip. You should get 14-15mpg at least...if not take to the dealer, they'll probably tell you its normal but they might hook it up to their pc and see something. I have 7000 mostly city miles an I get an average of about 11.3+/-.....if my wife drives though it's closer to the 9mpg, so maybe it the foot causing the mileage probelm :(:)
  • fremar1fremar1 Member Posts: 6
    I have 11,000 miles on mine. I get between 12 and 13 mpg all city driving and 16 mpg all highway.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There are some gas savings tips about half way down this page. I'd check my tire pressure first thing, but city driving in the winter is always going to hurt your mileage.

Steve, Host
    HI

I'm having the same problem with the brakes myself.I have 4,000 miles on it and have had my roters cut twice. I live in Long Island, N.y my dealership told me they don't have to replace them only repair them. I contacted Nissan consumer affairs. They opened up a file on my problem, but other then that they did nothing for me. They said " if you have any other problems please call us back" Well I told them thanks for nothing and plan to contact a lawyer about the lemon law if this happens again. They also said that they're working on getting there engineers to improve the breaks. But on the other hand said this hasn't been a real problem . They have a new kit when they cut the roters that they change the bolts. (whatever that means). I don't know too much about cars. I hope you will contact me back, I would love to know what was involved in getting an 05'.
  • soldaustinsoldaustin Member Posts: 91
    You can forget the Nissan factory helping you. They opened up a file on mine also but blew me off. The only thing they admitted to was the roof problem. People who don't complain about it just can't sense it. It is on every one of the early vehicles. If the roof wasn't bonded (which they weren't) then the problem is there. I am not sure when they started bonding the roof to the sheetmetal above. I bought mine in Nov. 2003. My friends has the problem and he bought his at the end of January 2004. You can buy a used vehicle that is falling apart and the owner can tell you it was the best vehicle they ever had. All dishonesty? Probably not. A lot has to do with people living with problems and since they don't bother them, they don't realize. Put a mechanic in most of the Armadas and I think you will find problems. They are all made with the same parts on the same assembly line. The brakes on the earlier ones are across the board. I think the main difference might be someone who does mostly highway miles. Mine is mostly city miles. The last post was city miles. I get about 3,000 miles before I get the shake. I have had the pad and bolt replacement fix twice, rotors cut twice and rotors replaced one time. On the full brake fix, each time was only 3,500 miles apart. I only have a few miles on it since it was last done but fully expect it to not fix my problem. The brakes are faulty. That is it. I don't believe anyone who says they are not a problem. Wishful thinking maybe? My advice would be from experience of working with Nissan to run for the hills and buy something else. Since the 2005 models have the same brake problems, it tells you they are incompetent. Who in their right minds would come out with a new model installing faulty parts knowing they had to come up with a repair for the problem later?? This was my first Nissan and my last. If I could get out from under it I would, but they discounted on the 2004 models heavily that it had to have an effect on the resale value. Also the 2005 Consumer Reports Guide just came out.It listed the Armada as poor reliability and they don't recommend it.
  • tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    I played mine through the auxhillary jack yesterday, other than lower volume (which may just be an adjustment-haven't read into it yet) it sounds great and works well.

I'm still averaging 16-17 mpg on mine- Motorweek just reported averaging 14.5 with theirs, and no complaints other than the loud climate control fan. I'm still pretty problem free after 18k- only had the brakes done once, and I live with a few rattles rather than taking a chance on having them break stuff. My only other issue is the grey plastic trim, it's peeling on the steering wheel controls like others have described. I will probably have them fix that. They really changed it on the 05's, it almost looks like the Infiniti trim.
  • abzuli99abzuli99 Member Posts: 3
    I have been reading messages posted on this site for about a month and a half. About three weeks ago I bought a 2004 Armada, built in August of 2004. I bought the 2004 simply due to the fact that they gave me a very good price (unbeleivable!). I have heard that some fixes were done after June of 2004. The problems that I have encountered are: 1)Window vibration noise driver side 2)sunroof shade pull noise 3)brake clicking noise 4)lower gas mileage than advertised.

As for the overall personal rating for the vehicle: Despite the problems, I think it is the best large SUV for the price. It has good looks (the Sequoia looks like an old shoe), lots of horsepower (would have considered the new Hummer H3-but the underpowered engine is rediculous), lots of comfort, lots of torque, good stereo, heated seats are awesome.

I really hope that Nissan steps up to the plate and takes care of it's customers. Of course my main concern is the brake problem -the clicking noise is a bit irritating.
  • scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    Suzy, I have lots to say, see your Email.
    I have posted in the past that NISSAN is fully aware of the problem with the Brakes. I met with their Lawyer just this past week, I had a great discussion with him about the process that Nissan goes through. We both agreed that it is flawed. I myself did get rid of my 2004 Armada. To make a very long story short, they repurchased the 04 and I ended up getting a new 05 from a different dealer. I did this fully knowing that Nissan did not upgrade the Brakes in the front. (Not due until April 05) The only difference for the 05's that is noticable is that the front/rear brake proportioning was changed so that the rear brakes do more of the braking. Also, you do not have to push down as hard for the braking to be effective, it seems to be sooo much better. (SO FAR) Why did I buy another Armada?? I know that they have had a bumpy start at the factory but I believe that they have done there homework on these ones. Only time will tell, and the damage to the Armada name might be much longer lasting.
    Scott,

How much trouble was it getting the buyback? I'm in the process of a lemon law claim for my Feb. 2004 model. I'll probably get an '05, as the ones I have driven are infinitely better than my '04. I think Nissan has finally come around a bit on the quality...I should have known better than to buy an early 1st year build. Oh well.
    Well, It was not easy. I called a local lemon law Attorney in the Los Angeles area and got the buy back within 6-7 Months. (Yes Months) I did not have to pay a dime, and drove it while Nissan took their time sending the Lawyer the payoff check. The only bad thing with getting another 05 is that I'm now very leary about the longterm quality.Only time will tell.
  • wbs1wbs1 Member Posts: 5
    I plan on buying within the next 6 months so I'm very interested your comment about the April 05 brake upgrade. Did you read this somewhere or did some Nissan rep tell you that in person? Do you know where I can get more information about that? Thanks.
  • wbs1wbs1 Member Posts: 5
    To follow up, I called Nissan corporate customer service today and they told me that the only redesign of the brakes was in April of 2004 for the 2004 models, that the kits were shipped out to dealers, that the 2005's should all have the redesigned brakes, and that no other changes were planned. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time that a customer service rep didn't know what he was talking about.
  • jwoodjwood Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2004 Armada LE Jan. 1, 2005. The day I picked it up from the dealership, I noticed a significant steering wheel shake at around 70 MPH. I called the dealership while not yet home to let them know there was a problem. They said bring it in, but after 3 visits (two spin balances and one force variance balance), I've still got the problem. Yesterday, after going to the dealership for the 4th. time in less than two weeks of ownership, I nearly settled on the magical "it may stop on its own" suggestion from the service guys when I drove it again and decided that's just not good enough. As soon as I got home, I called 800-NISSAN1 and started a file. Any idea what I'm dealing with or what I need to do to get this resolved?

Thanks!
    Test drove an 05 Armada over the weekend. Unreal! I love it more in person than on paper.

-mike
  • midbluesmidblues Member Posts: 3
    Sorry I took solong to reply.www.brake-pros.com look up 2004 nissan armada 2 kits listed.

Good luck.
  • shirley517shirley517 Member Posts: 3
    Hi there,

I am glad to finally read a somewhat positive experience w/ the Armada. We are seriously considering the 04 Armada (due to good incentives) and I was curious what kind of price you got, we are looking at the LE. I really would rather go for a bigger SUV than a mini van but these posts have been depressing.
  • shirley517shirley517 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Everyone,

We are seriously thinking about buying either a new '04 or '05 Armada. After reading the posts, I am leery to buy either, especially because of all the brake problems. I am interested in feedback on whether to pass on this entirely and choose another vehicle (like the boring Sequoia) or pay an extra $4k+ for the '05. Plus, if anyone has any hints on how to save big on the '05...I'd love to hear from you as well. Thanks~
  • mikepmanmikepman Member Posts: 5
    I have a 04 SE, the pads were replaced and the rotors machined at 2500. It is currently at the dealership for the "brake judder" problem again(4600 miles). This time they will replace the rotors. Also the second row driver side seatbelt is not retracting. The belt was slammed in the door which causes a gouge in the door panel. Dealership said they will order a new door panel under warranty. Love driving the vehicle but I am glad I purchased the extended warranty. If anyone is in the market for an Armada, get the extended warranty. This is something you usually do not have to do with Japanese manufactured vehicles.
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    I looked at the other competitors before buying the Armada and have no regards. Ours is a March 04 production that we purchased on May. Have 17K miles on it now as we have done a lot of traveling since I retired last summer. Finally did have to get brakes fixed but not until 17K. Rotors and related parts were replaced but pads were still ok. Have had NO other issues with it.

I've taken it off road more than once in the GW National Forest and others in NC, TN, and WV. It's not as nimble as my 98 4Runner but it's a lot larger. It gets me there and back!!!

Love it on trips as it rides well on the Interstates. Also, has lots of room for us, our junk, and our German Shepherd who goes with us everywhere.

My wife likes it because she feels safer in it given its mass. Also, she finds it easier to get into than the 4Runner because the running boards are lower.

No regrets about getting our beast. Maybe next year, we will get a trailer for it to pull.

81 Trekker
  • mikepmanmikepman Member Posts: 5
    Got the car back from the dealership but they did not replace the rotors, they only resurfaced them. So in less than 5K I have had new pads, the rotors were machined and then resurfaced. I contacted Nissan 1 and they opened a file so they can refer to an area rep to contact me. They were hesitant since my vehicle is now fixed. The dealership offered to sell me a Big Brake Kit. Has anyone heard if this works. I declined since I should not have to shell out any more money while this brake problem is under warranty.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Well there are lots of folks that don't have any problems with their 04's but I'd say purchase one at your own risk. My personal experience is when I test drove an 04 then an 05, it was a night and day difference. The 04 didn't drive as well, the resonance was slightly apparent, the roof including DVD waved like a flag and the seats didn't seem as comfortable. We promptly bought the 05 we test drove because it was solid all around. 05's are currently under invoice at most dealers so if you can afford the extra cash, I'd go for the 05 and sleep peacefully.
  • big0147big0147 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks I took my Mada in to another Nissan dealership here in Hawaii after the dealership that I originally bought my car from didnt know if I had bought the car from them or if I had ever bought it in, much better service at the Tony Dealership. It only took 2 hours to get the rotors replaced and such nice service. I really dont know if this is a permanent fix I hope it is but if it starts shaking like that again i will use the aftermarket brakes from the source you provided. Oh by the way I luv my Mada. Thanks for the help.
  • alohasurfer1alohasurfer1 Member Posts: 13
    Tested the beast this weekend here in New York with 18-20" of freshies. She performed well, not great...this is due to the tires. The stock Continental 265/70/18 got poor ratings for snow. thinking about getting a set of winter tires (as the manual suggests) anyone have any suggestions?
  • abzuli99abzuli99 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry I took so late in replying. I was out of town and just got back. Regarding the price, I was able to get it $7K below MSRP. The MSRP with options was 43.5K, I got mine for 36.5K. Not bad.

Good luck.
  • jcincyjcincy Member Posts: 2
    I have an Armada (purchased in 8/04) with 7500 miles and now on its 3rd set of breaks. I have contacted Nissan to replace the vehicle.......they simply do not have a fix for the problem. Breaks can't hold the wait, overheat and warp.

I pull a 5,000 lb boat behind it (capacity listed at 9100 lb) and while it pulls great.....just can't stop it. Armada was rated by one boat magazine as the trailer vehicle of the year in '04.

Interested to know what advise or process to take in dealing with Nissan. My dealer has been great, but now its on to corporate!
  • klyshawklyshaw Member Posts: 5
    i've been through the lemon law process before and was just wondering under what conditions did your armada fit under? i have had my brakes replaced once and now i have to go back again because the same thing is happening. i bought it in march of 04'. also i am getting my antenna fixed again because i can't get reception on my radio.
  • jenn623jenn623 Member Posts: 1
    I just filled out the lemon law paperwork. Tired of having to take it into the shop for new brakes all the time. Just wondering if anyone else has persued this, and if so, were you successfull? I love what the Armada could and should be. I have an 04 from Dec, 2003. If I am successfull, What can I expect from the 05's?
    I too have filed a lemon law claim, but I think we might come out ok on the brake issue if we're patient. I really love the design of the Armada also- it's just the execution that sucked on the early builds. (I bought mine in February of '04) Mine is in the shop right now and is having the brand new TSB- with larger rotors and calipers and according to Nissan Arbitration, this is a "permanent fix". I've had a couple of conversations with the guy, and I am hopeful. I have a long list of other (minor) issues - rattles, one door won't open from the inside, etc. but if they'll get these issue resolved then it will be nice to finally enjoy the vehicle I've bought. It'll be completed early next week, so we'll see.
    Can't wait to hear what your outcome is. I just had an oil change and brake job with my new 05 Armada at 3050 miles. The Dealer even put a nice dent on the front bumper!! Universal Nissan in California. Please keep us posted on the big rotors and calipers. Seems like they are kinda hush hush about this one. What Dealer are you getting the work done at?
    Can you be more specific? "under what conditions did it fit under" See prior posts regarding ALL the problems with mine. The radio reception is not an antenna problem, that simply requires your Dealer to swap out your Radio. Then the reception will be great!!