Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada

Comments

• texasmctexasmc Member Posts: 1
    I have just completed my 5th brake job at 19,000 miles and the dealer here in Houston (Peacock Nissan) is saying they still haven't received any of the permanent fix items for the brakes. We purchased the vehicle in California and have hired a lemon law attorney to handle the case for replacement of the vehicle in California.In Texas if you didn't purchase the vehicle in Texas then you can't file under their lemon law even if you are a resident. Does anyone have any helpful information concerning the lemon law process in California? Has anyone had their vehicle replaced by Nissan in California ? If so, what was the settlement?
  • btill1btill1 Member Posts: 69
    I let my truck run down on gas until the yellow light came on. I then went to a gas station and was only able to put 10 gallons in it, it was a little less than half full. I spoke to the dealer and he has never heard of such a thing
    The gas nozzle would act as if it was full and spit back gas at me after a few gallons. It is getting very frustrating.
    Anyone else?
  • pmtrepmtre Member Posts: 55
    2004 LE with 25K miles Good Year 265/70/18 SRA tires, rear driver side tire wearing excessively inside of tire is bald middle very worn, front driver side inside and outside very worn. Passenger side not as bad. Anyone else having problems with these tires? I spoke with a local GoodYear Rep he's looking into it. Anyone else with similar problems ?
  • rosie726rosie726 Member Posts: 40
    Just replaced our good year tires at 26,000 miles. All were worn on the inside, we also had a wheel alignment done on theis vehicle AND rotated tires.
    Did you put on new Goodyear tires or another brand? Are the OE Goodyears tires just junk?
    We checked every tire store in the area and the only other tires available were the continentals. We haven't heard good things about them so we stuck with the good years. Seems like no other company makes the 18" tires. Also got another wheel alignment, guess we'll have to see how these hold up.................
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I've only found the 18" Continentals and the BFGs available. The OE on my 04 LE are Continentals but I only have 3500 miles so I can't tell if they are wearing unevenly or not. I'm going to switch to the BFGs before winter most likely.

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Have you done any gas mileage checks yet?

Bob
    In city driving which is into and out of manhattan, lots of slow and bumper to bumper traffic, with a few sprints to 80+ and then down to 0, I've been consistently getting 13.5 Haven't done many trips with it yet so don't have a good handle on the the highway milage but for about 3k miles 13.2 to 13.9 is the city milage. The one trip I took out to PA I pulled 19mpg at 80mph. Towing a 5500lb car trailer at 80mph on the highway I pulled 14mpg

So overall it's doing quite well. I bet if I dropped down from 80mph on the highway to 60mph the milage would drastically increase. I did pull up on a mound of dirt/rocks by the shop and when I crawled under afterward I noticed the front air-dam collected a ton of sand/dirt on the backside of it from when I backed off it. So for offroading I would say the front air-dam and/or bumper would need replacing along with the side steps. Other than that a friend watched and the ABLS worked great as far as LSD while i was climbing the rock pile. Just shifted power side to side stopping the slipping wheel.

Also in 4-lo the VDC is automatically turned off which is great. So you can power out of say a mud-bog if needed.

-mike
  • jessedogjessedog Member Posts: 4
    I took my 04 Armada up to PA from Atlanta, GA a few weeks ago. During the highway portions of the trip I averaged 17.4 MPG and overall with some city driving in Philadelphia I averaged 16.0. This was higher than I had expected since I had been averaging under 13 in Atlanta (about half highway and city).

BTW...I got a call from my local dealer informing me that they will be getting the new Brake Rotors in pretty soon and they will call me to make an appointment. This was an unprompted call so I am pretty happy with their service so far. I had my brakes serviced after only 1800 miles before I took it to PA.
    Stu
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    Does anyone get a strong smell of fuel when they first start their Armada... I start mine in the garage in the morning, so I am sure it is more pronounced, but it smells so rich when it first starts... Just curious...
    I also noticed a slight gas smell recently, usually in the morning when the Armada sat overnight. For the most part the Aramda is parked outside. Although it's in the garage right now (my garage not the dealers for a change :sick: )I'll try it now and let you know.
    I couldn't find the BFG in 18 " . The only tires that will fit are the Conti's and the Goodyear P265/70/18 and I'd rather not pay $600.00 + every $25k miles for a new set. Any suggestions?
    You need to look up

285-65-18 BF Goodrich TAko Tires, same diameter as the stockers. Tirerack doesn't carry them apparently. I tried Tires direct and found them for 216/each

-mike
    Now, I remember! At the time I didn't think much about the gas smell, but shortly after the gas smell occurred( roughly 2-4 weeks), the check engine light came on. The dealer identified it as a faulty fuel system component, I'll need to look at the work order to be sure of the exact fix.
    The fault code was (PO455) EVAP GROSS LEAK. The vent control valve wouldn't cycle thru and was heating up. They removed the left rear wheel to get to the evap cannister and replaced the vent control valve. I hoped this helped.
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    Thanks,

I'll be waiting for the check engine light and yet another trip to the dealer..
  • c5_4func5_4fun Member Posts: 59
    I'm about to replace a Tahoe and like the looks of the Armada (although after reading some of these posts, I'm thinking I should give Nissan time to get it right). Before I go to the local Nissan dealer, can you tell me if the Armada has the following two items either as standard or options:
    Do the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold flat into the floor?
    Do the side mirrors have a power fold-in option?
    Thanks.
    The 3rd and 2nd row fold flat, No power retracting mirrors though. That's the only thing I miss from my Trooper, but it's not that bad.

-miike
  • lovemylemonlovemylemon Member Posts: 1
    We purchased an 04 Armada with 10K miles on it. We loved the looks and everything the vehicle had to offer. We've owned 2 other full sized SUV's and test drove probably every other one currently on the market before purchasing the Armada. Unfortunately we were unaware of the braking problems. After just three months we were in the shop getting the rotors "shaved down". We've considered trading it in but we don't want to pass our problem on to some other uninformed person. We decided to keep the vehicle and pray that Nissan will do a recall or come up with a permanent fix. In my opinion, no other SUV looks as good, offers as much leg room, or has as much power as the Armada. We tow a 32 foot camper that weighs around 9000 pounds and it handles it with ease. The gas mileage is very competitive, getting around 18 MPG on the highway.

Even with the braking problems, we still love this vehicle. It's like buying the house of your dreams, moving in and finding out it has a bad foundation! What a shame this beautiful, outstanding vehicle has such a critical problem.

We are experiencing a problem with the steering wheel jerking when we hit a bump at any significant rate of speed. Very strong jerk that gives an "out of control" feeling for an instant. Makes the vehicle ride rough as well. When we first took it in (before the rotor problem began) they told us the front shocks were bad and so they replaced them. It seemed to ride better for a short while but the problem has returned. Took it back in again and they tell us that the shocks are not leaking and they "don't know what the problem is". We have only owned the vehicle for only three and a half months. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone else? Also, can anyone fill us in on current info on a permanent fix on the brakes? One final thought...would it be beneficial for as many as owners as possible to sign a petition and send it to Nissan?
    I personally don't find this to be a big deal to fix, maybe it's cause I'm into racing and treat brakes like tires as a wear item. But it's a pretty easy fix in the aftermarket. When and if I get the brake Issue on my 04 I'll let Nissan do their thing til they don't want to fix it anymore then I'll get a set of Cryo-ed Rotors or Upgraded rotors and call it a day.

-mike
  • golfhackgolfhack Member Posts: 5
    I have the captains seats in the second row...to fold flat you have to remove the center console which leaves a big hole in the floor.....since we have our dog with us most of the time, I have had to cut a piece of masonite board and cover the hole so that he is not falling into the hole...my suggestion is to get the second row bench seats which fold flat with no hole.
  • kidsddskidsdds Member Posts: 11
    I had the same problem and was told repeatedly that "this is the design of the Armada". I didn't settle for that answer when I knew that most were not having this same problem. Eventually my gas gauge was stuck on full. They dropped the gas tank and replace a part... don't remember what the part was, but I was able to then fill up my tank with the appropriate amount of gas. I have been able to get as much as 27 gallons in.... that was letting it get to below E. Before the fix, the most i was able to get was 22 gallons.... and that was below E also.
  • shallow_mindedshallow_minded Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyway you can find out what part was changed. Myself and a few other Armada owners have had this same problem but with no help from the dealers. I would like to be able to actually get 27-28 gal. of gas in the tank. Thanks
    It's the Fuel Meter Sender Unit. This basically tells the Gauge how much fuel is in the tank. If it's bad it will send no or bad info to the gauge.

-mike
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    I decided to change tire size and went to P285/60R18s after verifying that the size would be ok with 3 Nissan dealers and a couple tire companies. (Nissan Corporate would not comment on my choice directly, sending me to the dealer.) I selected Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas. Price was reasonable as I decide to get five to cover the spare, too. I think I got all five, installed for $850. We've put a few thousand on them, including one trip from VA to ME and back. Handle well in rain, on rough roads and ok in moderate off-road situations. Hope they will be ok with a little snow, too. Overall, I'm pleased with them. Why Nissan ever picked this size and the lousy Continental is beyond me. When I asked them, they would not comment citing "proprietary information". Good way to hide dumb mistakes.
    We've put about 27K miles on the Armada in one year and are quite happy with our purchase. Makes a great road vehicle although it's a little awkward around town sometimes. Takes getting used to. - 81 Trekker
    I drive into work everyday. :)

-mike
    I finally am starting to have the brake issues so many of you have had. I have 32,000 miles on my truck and the rotors are warped- is this covered under some type of TSB or even my warranty?

Thanks for your help.
  • jinxyjinxy Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 Armada with the 2nd row captain chairs and removeable rear console. For now I will be removing the cosole so that I can get easy access to the 3rd row to strap my 2 kids into their car seats. Does anyone know if there are any covers available for the floor when the cosole is removed?

Thanks
    Hi Bill,

My 2004 LE has been covered under warranty for the brake issue by the Dealer in Westboro, MA. Make sure you get in there before 3 yr/ 36 k. I hope they don't give you a hard time about the 32k on the truck. It's not normal wear and tear it's poor engineering. My problems started at 8k, again at 16-17k,now at 25k I'm in line waiting now for the new rotors due mid June.

By the way,How are your tires wearing? My Goodyears are trashed at 25k. Normally I get 60,000+ from my two previous SUV's both Dodge Durango's with Goodyear wranglers.
    My brakes are only noticeable on the highway at high speeds and then hitting the brakes. I realize my warrenty is up soon if I continue to have issues I will probaly trade the vehicle in for either a Land Cruiser or Seguoia. My Continentals seem to be wearing fine. I believe I have about another 15k miles.
    I've found this site helpful:

www.nissanhelp.com

go to bulletins, TSB March 2005
    I just called 800-nissan1 to see if the mileage mattered on the brake judder TSB. I was told that the brake warranty for my truck was extended until 12/29/06 regardless of the miles. I think this is very good news so basically I have another 1 1/2 years to have my brakes repaired for N/C.
  • llajumpvidllajumpvid Member Posts: 76
    Is that based on your 3yr anniversary?
    Yes that is based on my 3 year anniversary. I am starting to feel the "judder:now but I will tolerate it for a little while until hopefully the permenant fix is available.
    I've been waiting a month for the fix and its miserable!. I'm almost to the point of having them turn the rotors and putting in new pads just to keep safe. With the extended warranty I'm sure to be back in 8K for the real fix. I prefer driving my daughters '97 Old's Regency. What luxury compared to the "Nissan Beast". :mad:
  • dcwinsdcwins Member Posts: 1
    I noticed that you indicated that your front speaker crackles when listening to talk radio. I've purchased an '04 Armada in April '04. Mine does the same thing, but worse yet the reception will cut out (not fade). This only happens on AM radio stations. It's as if a ground connection is loose, because the problem cannot be "made" to happen and it has no repetitive pattern that I can discern. I've taken it to the dealer and they've replaced the radio as they thought it was the "fading" problem that others were experiencing I guess. Brought back numerous times and they don't have any idea as to what to do because the Factory has no bulletins on this? Anybody have this problem? I'm at a loss.
  • rrepichrrepich Member Posts: 1
    I have 13k on my 04 armada . We have had the rotors turned twice and replaced once then we just recieved the "fix from the factory" They put different pads and a thicker rotor on. We have driven 1500 miles and so far so good. We where putting on around 4000 miles then taking it in to have the rotors turned and pads replaced.

I have to say the dealer I deal with in Simi Valley, Ca. has been excellent with the service and keeping me up to date on the potential fixes coming ...

Plus I love this suv...
  • edavis58edavis58 Member Posts: 3
    I was interested to know if anyone has a rattle when their sun roof is open. I have a 2004 and the dealership said that they can not find the reason why the noise is there. It only happens when the sun roof is open and when going over rough road, which is a common occurance in Michigan. The dealership said they contacted Nissan but they don't know why either.
    Yes my sunroof does the same thing when it is open I close it a tiny bit and it does get a little better. I am living with the problem because I do not use my sunroof that often.
    After waiting 30+ days for new brake fix, I called the dealer to set up the old brake fix, I couldn't stand that judder anymore. Well dropped the beast off yesterday and guess what?, The new brake fix just came in. Lucky me. Only problem is my wife is sick and tired packing up the 4 kids and driving 30 minutes each way( 3rd time fixing the brakes) and refuses to drive me back there to pick it up. So when I get done walking up there I'll let you know if its worth it! ;)
    Our dealership gave us a free loaner car each of the 6 times our brakes were repaired! Of course we had to request it!
    The Saga continues! New brakes work great. Picked up the beast today, drove right to the local tire shop for my new special order Michelin Cross Terrain 265/70/18, dropped it off, then the phone call , one small problem, the tire shop can't take the pressure sensor out it's all corroded, call the dealer, "bring it back in it's under warranty, We don't have the part but we'll order it." Meanwhile the rear GY tires fading fast. The Nissan dealer told me tires aren't covered nor an alignment. They also had no explanation why the rears wore out faster than the fronts. We'll I Better get back to my full time job of arranging for a ride to and from the Nissan dealership.
  • mtookermtooker Member Posts: 1
    Have you found a solution to this? I just got the same config and will not use the console.

Thanks

Michael
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    Its about time, Michelin finally released the Aramada's standard size tire for the 18" rim. 265-70-18 Cross Terrain. These tires are quiet, have excellent tire wear, and are of one the best in quality. Perfect for the MADA. Availibility might be tight though. I would check with a Michelin tire retailer for availibility. Tirerack does not carry them as of yet.
  • lexusandbimmerlexusandbimmer Member Posts: 5
    how are the tires in terms of on road traction and grip?(Qx owner looking for new tires)
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    Really good for road traction and grip. Most of all the're quiet. I had some for my old MDX and were the best tires I have ever had. If you want to see more detail ratings go to Tirerack.com.
    Picked up the Mada today, replaced the GY with new Michelin Cross terrains, rides better than new. Paid $200 each installed. The Nissan dealer had to replace all 4 air pressure sensors built into the stems. The problem is the aluminum valve stems corrode easily. Luckily my tires wore out at 26k. If they lasted to 35K it would be out of warranty/ and $80.00+ each to replace. Watch out! You can't tell there is a problem till you try and get them out. I bought the tires locally and they told me go back to the dealer and make them fix it. The Mada was also way out of alignment, what a difference in the ride now. First time any of my vehicles needed an alignment over the last 20 years. Thanks Nissan!
  • kidsddskidsdds Member Posts: 11
    Have you had the TSB done on the overhead console yet? I have a 2004 and had the same sunroof issue. Finally they determined the cause was the over head console brackets. It has been fixed for about six months now, but now I have noticed the overhead console sagging in the middle now.
  • mich42mich42 Member Posts: 3
    I was looking at a Armada LE 2004 still on the lot. Was selling 47,000 now 38,202.68 Tax,License & Title included. This is loaded with DVD & Nav system.

Is this a good deal for a year old SUV? :confuse: