Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I'm wondering if anybody has purchased a Nissan this year that DIDN'T have a major paint defect?
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    I wonder if the new Quest is having paint problems as well? They are assembled on the same line... I am really looking forward to purchasing an Armada, but this worries me. Maybe I'm just too picky, but I would never even take delivery of a vehicle that had several problems on the dealers lot especially paint problems. Even if the dealer say's they will fix it, it is not the same as a factory applied finish.
  • hsfordhsford Member Posts: 14
    Well, with a sigh of relief I can say I have not found any paint issues on my SE Silver Lightning, and now after one day of driving around a bit more, I am much less concerned about the radio antennae reception although it does seem week at times...the Sound/ reverb issue I mentioned in previous post definitely seems to be dependent on the road service...I live in LA, and some freeways I noticed a slight issue,and some freeways were perfectly quiet...I will keep everyone posted on my observations as I get a few more days into this vehicle...I really do love the way it drives, and the power.
  • alakayalakay Member Posts: 2
    Boy, this message board has turned into a mess. I just wanted to post again. I bought my Armada on October 2 and have well over 1000 miles on it and have had no problems with it. I have washed it numerous times and have not seen one paint flaw any where. As far as the interior styling that people don't like, I do like it. It is practical and simple and not all gaudy like some vehicles are. I can't stand all the fake wood, etc on some cars. I love my Armada and I love my dealer. My third Nissan and still very happy! By the way, my dealer has only received two Armada's and had to trade from other dealers to get two more. The first two sold the first day they delivered them.
    I'm trying to draw a conclusion here.. Is you SE a 4x2.. That is what I was driving when I noticed the resonance. A SE 4x2 base, no sunroof. Just curious...
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    My 2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD has an excellent paint job (that was done in Japan). Maybe that's the difference?
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    told me that the resonance while driving comes on concrete and not on asphalt. the tire tread and the space between treads could account for this. like knobby tires on a big truck.
  • hara1121hara1121 Member Posts: 1
    How wide is the Armada - including side mirrors?

My garage door opening is 92 inches wide and is 82 inches high.

Will the Armada fit inside my garage?
  • shairkhanshairkhan Member Posts: 28
    Resonance is definately a problem that Nissan needs to look into. The one I drove did not have the stock tires and I did not drive it on concrete. The noise is disconcerting to the extent that it would drive me away from this vehicle.

--
    Shair Khan
  • jim52jim52 Member Posts: 161
    It did not fit in mine (I don't know my doors dimensions off hand). I was very supprised that this SUV didn't have an option to automatically fold in the side mirrors as other full sized SUVs do. That ruled the car out immediately for me.
    The SE I drove had it on asphalt. Thats pretty much what all of our roads are around here.
  • hoppes11hoppes11 Member Posts: 9
    My wife and I test drove the Armada this weekend. Smooth, quiet, easy to drive tons of storage. Interior didn't seem that much better or worse than any of the others in this class, except maybe the strange little orange lines on the knobs, which I assume is for night lighting. I didn't notice the resonance issue and I have heard it in my 98PF with the back windows down. I am wondering if it wasn't the exhaust note. We drove an SE 4x4 in Silver. The dealer we were at also had a deep water Blue and a Sedona.

The Sedona had just been delivered that day and was still waiting to be prepped. There were two marks above the right rear passenger door pointing to issues with the rubber stripping around that door, it was crooked and I was wondering why it hadn't been fixed at the factory.

I have an older house with a small garage and the Armada just barely fit, the Expedition and Sequoia both seemed to fit a little easier. I had the same issue with the rear cargo door, it would hit my garage door on the top when opened. The good thing was I could walk under the cargo door when opened without hitting my head (I am 6'2") which I can't do on my 98PF.

I have test driven the Expedition 4x4 and Sequoia 4x4. I definitely like the Sequoia better than the Expedition, but it is on equal terms with the Sequoia due to the Sequoia's resell value and and the fact the Sequoia is a proven vehicle.

My wife hasn't driven the Sequoia, but she will. She definitely liked the Armada much more than the Expedition which she has driven.

My biggest disappointment is the lack of a nice Dark Red as a color choice, not a deal killer, but a strange oversight along with the non-split third row seat. The silver is ok, but I have a Silver PF and I thought I would like the Sedona, but after seeing it in person it is out. The Deep Water Blue was the best one I had seen, but none of them had the Sand interior.

I didn't talk price, but the sales person was trying to tell me how Nissan couldn't offer deals like Ford because they weren't building very many Armada's. The usual sales person speak. I am still leaning more to the Armada, but I will not pay MSRP in a competitive market. Since we aren't in a rush to purchase, I will wait until December and January when car sales are usually slow. I haven't seen one on the road in the Denver area yet, except the one we test drove. I definitely wouldn't say the Armada is jumping off the lots in this area, at least not yet.
    Previous post from rshe "I'm trying to draw a conclusion here.. Is you SE a 4x2.. That is what I was driving when I noticed the resonance. A SE 4x2 base, no sunroof. Just curious..."

RSHE,
    Yes my Armada is the 4x2 SE Base Model, no sunroof, etc. I can say as each day goes by, I am so glad I bought this Armada. I will try to update more if I can get my wife out of the Armada so I can drive! ;)
    Thanks for the reply...Have you noticed any rhyme or reason to the resonance in the cabin?.. Does it change at speed or different road type? Has anyone else in the group noticed it in an LE or SE 4x4? I am getting ready to sign on the dotted line for a loaded LE 4x4 on Thursday... Finally got all of the price details ironed out (I think)...The only thing I noticed is my dealers Invoice price and Edmunds don't match... The dealers is about $500 higher than the Edmunds invoice price..
    All I can really say is that it does appear to be related to the surface of the road and higher speeds, and to be honest the last few short highway trips I have not noticed anything. I will try to spend some more time at highway speeds over the next few days to see how it goes, but overall I am extremely happy with this vehicle. Goodluck with your purchase.
  • rare1rare1 Member Posts: 3
    I have the 4X4 LE, have not noticed any resonance up to speeds of 100mph. I noticed my goodyear tires looked a lot 'sleeker' than the knobbies of the off-road 4X4 SE I saw - this may have something to do with it.
    One other observation - I am 6'2", and this is the only vehicle I have ever owned that has not had the driver's seat adjusted fully to the rear. Lots of room!
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    I like the Armada, I have not yet driven one, but it appears to have some nice features. But, I was just reading about the new 04 Durango. It could be the sleeper that everyone has overlooked.The size has been increased, the new specs look like a Full size SUV. And, it will be available with a HEMI.

Chrysler just stated today that they are going to undercut the market with price to help with new Durango sales. I am going to take a long look at the new Durango, it sounds great, but I have not yet seen one. I can't wait to see one in person. Has anyone seen one?
  • rrachapudirrachapudi Member Posts: 13
    Could you please post what price your dealer has accepted for the loaded LE 4x4? How much over invoice is it? Thanks.
    I test drove an LE today. It felt like a good drive except the navigation system wouldn't shut up. We were not even using the maps/directions. It was making a noise like when you are watching your TV with no signal on. It was so annoying. I was trying notice the resonance effect people are talking about. But this noise didn't let me observe that. The salesman confirmed that it is the second time he is noticing this problem with the NAV system. This of course will not change my mind/opinion about Armada. I am sold on it. I am just looking to find the reasonable price. This may be a bad NAV unit on this vehicle.
  • rare1rare1 Member Posts: 3
    rrachapudi-
      I mentioned earlier in this thread that I paid full MSRP, but got about 2K above blue book for my trade in (honda odyssey). A fleet manager at another dealer in the area confirmed that they are not coming off MSRP yet. Sounds like there are better deals out there if you know where to look.
    I paid MSRP for my Odyssey back in late 99, and not much later there were waiting lists and significant markups over MSRP. It is a bit of a gamble . .
  • anissan4meanissan4me Member Posts: 3
    I have been following these discussions for a while trying to decide on a new vehicle so I figured the least I could do is post about my experience.

Without too much detail - I can tell you why I started looking for a 3 row SUV - We are a family of a 3yo, one due next month, and 4 dogs. My husband and I are at the 6' mark, and my son was already 'feet on' the back seat from his car seat in our current truck, and there was absolutely no way I could have fit 3 Britax Super Elites (our car seat of choice) across the back seat - which we would eventually need with 3 kids (hoping not done with this one!) The area I live in requires 4wd to get around in the winter, and even sometimes in good weather - getting up to my parent's mountain retreat is an offroad experience.

I have owned an Xterra since the first week it was out. It was my 3rd Nissan vehicle. VERY happy with this truck but it got small very quickly after I became a mom.

Other vehicles reviewed, test drove in order of purchase possibilities (I know we were all over the map here, no flaming please!):
    Toyota Sequoia
    Land Cruiser
    Honda Pilot
    Durango

I dropped by our local dealer on Oct 10th just to 'look'. I thought I'd be really upside down on my truck lease so I didn't think it was going to be something I was looking at until May. Turns out it was very close, and the dealer wanted to get the first truck out there.

They had 3 - all 4x4 - SE, SE with EVERYTHING, and an LE. I fell in love with the SE - but hated the color. The dealer contacted a metro area one and brought a Deep Water Blue with the darker interior (drawing a blank on the color names right now). When it arrived for delivery, it had a pinstripe and a $1200 'dealer package' (market adjustment) markup.

My dealer promptly removed it. I paid approx $1100 under MSRP, and am happy with that, considering they weren't going to mark down under MSRP, but the vehicle I got came in with several options that the one I was contracted/priced on didn't.

After 500 miles I have noticed:
    -No paint issues, and I've been LOOKING because of fear of damage due to road ripping up around here

-Wonderful maneuverability for a beast

-Better (by a couple miles) gas mileage than my Xterra

-The darker interior doesn't have the 'plastic garbage can' feel like the lighter grey

-They really should have made the mirrors power fold in!!! IE - garage fitting issues

-Smart design on the back cargo door. Love the 'van' opening with the glass seperate. Back loading area is perfect for my height, and for my dogs to jump in - no gate to deal with, etc.

-No resonance issues. I'm sensitive to those types of things too - I'm still trying to get used to the 'noise' of the V8.

-Love the high handles on the back doors. I've seen various posts here about them and kids - and it's PERFECT - to keep my son OUT of the truck - and the perfect height for me to grab open and pop him in while negotiating a shopping cart

-Still not sure what to think about a possible split on the rear seat row - not missing it - had a split with the Xterra - caused some concerns for me with car seat handling (tether placement, etc).

I can get into the drive - the power of a V8, the security of all the extra airbags, the room, did I mention, THE ROOM? My brother has a Suburban and my parents have admitted this is so much more comfortable and more well thought out - for a good 6-8k less than his vehicle was. I think the only thing that he has that they missed was a DVD center - which I really could care less about.

Only complaints so far -

The goofy Speed Sound Adjustment thing on the stereo - mine was turned on when I got the truck - one of those things I never thought to check - ANNOYING and unneccessary 'perk'

Color name - I was lucky, I really like the 'green' tone better when it arrived - but this vehicle is NOT blue - deep water or no - MAYBE super blue green algae, but NOT blue!

Mirrors as noted above

The open area in front of the radiator fan - should I screen this? I already have been picking leaves and new asphalt out. I'm sure it can take a few rocks, but not quite sure how sensible this 'look' is.

Can't keep my hubby out of it and driving it like a manual and in 4wd up the mountain (and he's a city boy)

People nearly running into me on the road trying to get a better look...in a land where 3/4 vehicles on the road are trucks or SUV's you'd THINK folks would have seen the ads etc - all the boys trying to talk to an 8 month preg mom dragging an almost 3 yo is kind of fun though.

The folding seats - GREAT if you have a warning when you pull the latch - caught my hand in there first time not realizing the spring action...we'll blame that on the sales guy.

The seat cloth - I liked the fabric in the Xterra better - this stuff looks more expensive at first glance but feels cheaper and is slippery - not fun when installing car seats or attempting to get out in my condition gracefully.

Thank you all for your opinions and feedback - it helped me with my decision.
  • armadaornotarmadaornot Member Posts: 2
    I have test driven the Armada twice and like it a lot for the feel, room, acceleration, looks, etc. I am almost ready to make a decision to buy one, but do have a question about people's opinion on the right hand front corner view.

It seems that between the wide frame on the bottom of the front windshield and the large sideview mirrow, there is a pretty restricted view on the right hand side when making a sharp right hand turn.

Now, I am not talking about a road curving to the right, that seems to be ok. But last night, when I was pulling out of the dealer parking lot, trying to make a right hand turn onto the road, it seemed like the view of the whole intersection was pretty much obstructed.

Does anyone else have a problem with this?

On the subject of price, I have been getting $500 off the MSRP from the local dealers here in PA for the 4x4 SE.
    the SSV (speed sensitive volume) can be lessened or deactivated. if you need to know how, email me.

armadaornot...try moving your head.
    A couple of responses to things I have seen, I liked the speed sensitive volume, we noticed it right away on our test drive and I would like it on my 98PF.

bowke28 - There was a post on a different (short lived) Armada thread about the fuel filler door not locking. I mentioned this to my sales person on my test drive and was told that it locked when the Armada was started or moving. Maybe bowke28 can confirm this. When I test drove the Expedition, I noticed it didn't have a locking fuel filler door either, or does it lock when the vehicle is running? anyone, anyone?

As far as the Deep Water Blue, looked more green to me also. I have seen a Canteen (Ugly Green IMO) colored Armada that was a pre-production version, ugh, looked like Pea Soup. In addition to some paint QC issues, IMO they need to revisit their color choices. I think people also need to realize these are the first production units coming off the line so there might be issues. IMO real quality control/engineering problems are vehicles like the Ford Focus and the BMW X-5, with double digit recalls.

I didn't notice any issues with the right front pillar and I made a right turn from the dealer lot. My wife's Accord coupe has less visibility up front than the Armada.

I would have to agree with others that power folding mirrors would be nice, much more useful to me than split third row seat they also left out.

Is is interesting to hear that another poster is getting better fuel mileage than she gets with her X-Terra, the fuel mileage on my 98PF has always been rather poor, especially considering the lack of horsepower.
    no, it doesnt lock. nor does it lock when you put it in gear (wondering how this would be verified).
    if anyone is curious about the deep sea blue, it is almost identical to the color "sagebrush" in the honda pilot.
    This is to order one only... I have received the same offer from 2 dealerships in Norhern VA...They will not sell you one off the lot at this price.. I am in no rush and am hoping by the time they start building mine, they'll have some of the quality issues worked out..If your in this area and want the dealership locations (can't give the name, but you should be able to figure out by the location) I will post for you..
  • anissan4meanissan4me Member Posts: 3
    They would have cut me a deal on the one that was on the lot - the loaded one, and or the LE - I just am not into 'sales' on stuff I don't need. The SE with the few extras was perfect.

And thanks on the SSV but my sales rep told me how to take care of it - just found it annoying.

As to early production - it is my understanding that Nissan has postponed release rather than put something out on the market under quality. I had no recalls on my Xterra, and though it was based on the Frontier, it was still considered a first production model (I had the second one off the lot where I was).

My dealer seems to be very interested in keeping in touch with us to 'monitor' the quality. I guess it helps we're small town USA here.
  • rboyd4rboyd4 Member Posts: 23
    I am not in the market for an SUV but as a long time (10 years) happy owner of an Infiniti I was curious about the reception of Nissan's Armada.

I find some of the posts here to be a little hyperactive on the quality/minor defect front. Let's face it this is a brand new vehicle from a brand new plant with a brand new work force. Odds are especially early on there will be a few glitches. Overall the magazine reviews for the new Quest (new model/same plant) and the Armada have been good. Therefore I will go out on a little limb and say the Armada has no major design flaws and is a competitive vehicle. That said, it is almost unreasonable to expect a vehicle that has been under production for only a few weeks to not have some minor glitches so get over it.

If you are super worried about quality you should not buy a brand new model in the first few months of production- I don't care who the manufacturer is. This is not a just a Nissan issue. See the Mercedes M Class made in Alabama. Per JD Power and Consumer Reports the M Class still has quality problems 5 years into production in a new plant. See Toyota- go ask my neighbors who had their Sienna recalled for a $5,000 engine job due to the oil sludge defect (granted paid for by Toyota but still a major inconvenience).

I can already hear the responses to my post- Nissan should not sell a vehicle with any glitches blah blah blah. I generally agree but with any company even the much praised Toyota there are start up problems with a new vehicle. Go ask GM what the quality stats are on the new Hummer H2 (terrible, truly terrible). The US makers have been selling defect cars for decades (want to talk about my Ford?).

I am not trying to get people riled up, although I probably will, but I want some common sense in the discussions and I assume/expect that Nissan will fix all legitimate Armada problems that come up to the owner's reasonable satisfaction. I realize an Armada is a major investment and people expect a lot out of their hard earned money but some posters appear to me to be off the kilter with some complaints. I have not seen any real problems in these posts about the Armada- dead engines, defective transmissions, etc (talk to my buddy about his '02 Land Rover that has left him literally stranded 3 times).

As the weeks roll by the production kinks should get worked out. The Armada is too important a vehicle to Nissan to allow any major problems to go unchecked and I have some degree of confidence that they will stay on top of it. If you do your research you will see that Nissan's quality is pretty well documented- not as good as Toyota but not bad. I think the overall Nissan quality has suffered some in the last couple of years because they have introduced so many vehicles at once (Maxima, Murano, Quest, Armada, Titan (soon), Infiniti G35, FX35/45, etc.). One caveat to the Toyota/Nissan quality argument is Lexus/Infiniti. On that basis, I think Infiniti matches up head to head with Lexus or at least per JD Power.
  • pfarmadapfarmada Member Posts: 39
    To say there will be no major problems or recalls with the Armada is premature. I believe everyone that buys one knows the risk of buying a first year production vehicle. That is one of the reasons this board is so valuable. People can monitor the progression of the vehicle and see what people like and dislike. I really like the Armada so far. What I don't like is Nissans total lack of problem resolution. I believe it is not only in a manufacturers best interest to take care of problems that arise(public credibility)but it is required by law(Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I agree with rboyd4. I bought a first year FX35 and have enjoyed it alot. It has had some teething problems all of which have been fixed in a timely manner. The FX is also built in Japan yet it has had some problems. Overall I think nissan builds quality products and I would be more willing to gamble on a first year toy/honda/nissan than domestics or germans.

pfarmada - honestly your post in response holds little merit because you still have not detailed the nature of the defects. Hints and dropping remarks here and there do nothing to help the owners or potential owners identify problems. Yet you blast nissan for these problems. Post what is up and let us take that into consideration as we evaluate vehicles.
    With all due respect, I have posted the problem (Post #516).
    I agree with most of your post, but take exception to the paint issues we are seeing here. That is something that is readily visible coming off of the assembly line.. Do they just run them off the line and onto a transport, with nobody looking at them...That is not a 1st year glitch, that is p@#$ poor quality control...But to add insult (as pfarmada brought up), it sounds like they want to do nothing about it.. You can compare with the Sienna, but you admitted in your own post that Toyota is taking care of the problem, no questions asked... There I find is the big difference.
    The way I noticed the defects in the paint and other defects was that they left an arrow or marks with a light blue grease pencil indicating where most of the defects were. There are areas that are flat that look like primer coat or base coat without clearcoat. The dealer said the factory Quality Control was supposed to wipe these markings off after they fixed the defects. The dealer offered to wash off the grease pencil marks and that is all they offered.Would that be an acceptable resolution to any of you?
  • scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    I test drove the Armada on two occasions and love it. I really think the interior space, huge engine, and standard equipment will be a huge selling point. Has anyone noticed that it is missing a locking fuel door/ gas cap? I can't believe that they would omit such a simple safety device on a totally new $40000 vehicle. The $12000 Sentra comes standard with a locking door. I think the Armada should too. Other than that I think it's great and will see what happens the next couple of months before I make up my decision on what SUV to buy.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    I too love the aspects of the Armada. But, have anyone of you looked at the specs of the new 04 Durango? The specs look great. I can't wait to compare the two in person.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Looks like a cross between a ford windstar minivan and a toaster.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    With the ever famous Chrysler reliability.
    and the incredibly fruitful chrysler resale value.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I have looked at the new dodge and would consider it. Before my Infiniti my last two new cars were DC (Stratus, 300M) I will not buy another chrysler product. The Stratus was pretty reliable just dull and boring. The 300M was a great car but the suspension is literally falling apart and it drives like it has 100k on it when it only has 45k. At the time this was the most expensive car Chrysler made. This ownership experience also prevents me from really considering the pacifica either along with the fact it looks like a station wagon. I agree with bowke the resale is just horrendous. in 30 months I have lost 60% of it's value. I'm betting the armada will hold it's value better than that.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Let's swing back to the Armada here, and we can talk about the Durango in the Dodge Durango Redesign for 2004 discussion. Thanks!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bhana1bhana1 Member Posts: 12
    Test drove the Armada yesterday. Great engine, handles well but unimpressive interior and a very small and uncomfortable third row seat. Would probably keep my Sequoia (? add a supercharger) or wait for Nissan to make improvements for next year.
    RE: Believe It or Not by pfarmada

I went back to post #516 and didn't see a specific mention of your problem with the Armada, all it talks about is your lack of resolution with Nissan and the dealer.

I saw greasemark pencil arrows on a Sedona colored Armada, at least one was pointing at the rubber stripping around the right rear passenger door/window, there was another mark pointing at something, but I couldn't tell what as the Armada was very dirty and had just been delivered to the dealer so hadn't been prepped. Could have been pointing at a paint flaw.

As an aside, on a 1991 Nissan Pickup built in the Tennessee factory that I purchased brand new, I noticed rust around the rear pan area under the tailgate. Somehow they had gotten a very thin coat of paint on the truck, at least in that area, and it was showing. I took it to the dealer and it was fixed under warranty no questions asked. It is interesting to hear about Nissan paint problems 12 years later. I hadn't had any other paint issues on either the 1995 Truck or the 1998 PF I currently own.

I do think it is good for people to get together and discuss the issues they are seeing on something as new as the Armada. It makes other potential Armada purchasers aware of the issues before they make the purchase.
    Did anyone purchase the extended warranty with their Armada? Just curious.. If so how much was it for how long of a term... Are there any reputable "aftermarket" warranty companies out there.. I've heard horror stories about some going bankrupt and not being there when you need them. Thanks
    are just that. most of the time they are just stories, but sometimes it happens. the only way to be sure is to go with the manufacturers plan.
  • shairkhanshairkhan Member Posts: 28
    There was a mention of "Weird wind whine" with respect to the Nissan Armada on Auto Week on TV last night. These were the comments from their test driver's log book. Did anyone catch that? I beleive they were talking about the famous Resonance issue.

--
    Shair Khan
    Just went on their site and did a search under Armada in the vehicle reviews section and it reads "But if you hit a rut, the front end slams pretty hard. I also noticed weird wind buffeting. That aside, it’s one solid SUV with enough hip attitude to make a dent in the seven-passenger market."

Thanks for the heads-up...
    I have not had the wind noise that I have read about on this forum.The vehicle handles great for a full size SUV and feels very tight. It is very quiet in the cabin. The only thing I hear at idle (after warm up) is a sort of a ticking sound from the engine. Has any other owner noticed it?
  • tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    First, just wanted to say this forum is helping me out a lot for when I make my purchase- I've already decided that the Armada is for me. After ten assorted GM trucks (pickups, suburbans) I am finally fed up with their horrible quality and reliability. I wish the problems I have had with my '00 Silverado were as simple as paint defects! Anyhoo...I drove both a Sequoia and an Armada within an hour of each other. It was the first Armada on the lot, the day it came in. I loved the way it handled and rode, and it's feature content for the price, and of course it's power! I went to the Toyota dealer, fully hoping the Sequoia would impress me, because of that Toyota reliability I was looking for, but I have to say it was a total letdown. Way underpowered, brake feel was hard and numb, and it shimmied over bumps. Sure the interior was ahead in the quality dept. but not worth the extra 5 grand (loaded Limited vs. LE 4x4)As far as harmonic complaints, I heard nothing I would not expect from a full sizer with 18 inch rubber. Much quieter and better handling than the Toyota, which had only 17's. Now I just need a couple months to sock money and pick a color!
  • edloeseredloeser Member Posts: 15
    I have test driven the Armada three times now, all LE 4X4 models. Two were fairly quick spins around the block with the salesman. On the last one I took a pretty long time to go over all the features on the vehicle and drive it home for a garage-fit test without the salesman breathing on me the whole time.
    Im looking at the Armada because we need an 8-seater with all the towing capacity possible. I hate the Tahoe and the Suburban is too large for my wife's comfort. Dont need a ton of behind-third-seat cargo space because if the cargo is more than groceries or golf clubs we usually either dont have more than 5 in the car or we can throw most of the crap in the boat being towed. My dad has an '03 Expy EB that Ive driven a ton and like quite a lot, but overall its pretty boring compared to the Armada and not nearly as fun to drive.
    The Armada engine and transmission are awesome- super smooth and easy to handle, a lot of power that is well tamed but immediately available when you stomp on it. The Armada's ride is very smooth with the tight-feeling firmness that I like. If you want something a little softer (with a little more roll) go with the Expy. Im also impressed by the torque band of the Armada- wont bore you with details, but low-end torque is what counts. Once you get the vehicle and towed load moving and up near cruising speed, torque diminishes greatly in importance.
    I have noticed the resonance that has been so extensively commented on but have test driven 3 different vehicles on enough varied roads to be satisfied that it only occurs on concrete, and gets more noticeable the wider the striations on the road are. "Striations" are the grooves that run perpendicular to the direction of travel on the surface of concrete roads. At worst (when driving on roads with the widest striations) the resonance is nothing that cant be overcome by turning up the radio- in my opinion the resonance heard is not the same reverb effect caused by driving with a window open. It is also not anything beyond what occurs with pretty much any other vehicle driving on striated concrete roads.
    I really like the interior styling of the Armada, but I agree with what seems to be the majority that the interior fit and finish (and color scheme) is a little weak. A lot of items are made of pretty thin, cheap plastic but IMO probably wont cause durability issues over time. What a shame to have to settle for the interior to "probably" not have durability problems on a vehicle in this price range- the quality should be much higher. The graphite interior seems to suffer the least from the "rubbermaid" effect. On one of my test drives, I fiddled with the passenger-side heated seat button and with absolutely no undue pressure ended up punching it down into the console. It had obviously not been snapped completely into place at the factory and would be very easy to fix, but it reinforced the unfortunate cheapness and poor fit and finish/quality control of the interior. Also, the fit and finish of the leather seats in a few (not all) of the Armadas Ive seen has been incredibly shoddy- kind of loose and unevenly sewn. Makes one a little nervous to place a factory order without being able to see the vehicle first. Ive checked paint jobs and door frames thoroughly on every Armada Ive seen, a few in both outdoor and indoor light, and havent spotted any problems or grease pencil arrows yet.
    I love the roominess of the front and 2nd row seats. The 3rd row seat lacks a little headroom for a 6'1" guy like me, but I cant think of a situation in which someone my size would have to ride there unless it was a short trip, in which case the 3rd row seat would be entirely comfortable enough for me. The leather seats are a little thinner that the Expedition, but I find them comfortable and they fit me well. The lack of a split 3rd-row seat is a downfall- dont know if it was a pretty blatant oversight, a way to lower costs, or a lame attempt to hold something back to use as a new-model-year upgrade later.
    As for pricing, all my local dealers are still parrotting the MSRP line. I agree with most that pricing will probably drop over time as exactly none (to my mild surprise) of the 9-10 Armadas that have shown up locally over the last two weeks have sold, other than one that a dealer finance manager special ordered for himself. I have offered 2 salesmen $1000 over invoice. One got a little touchy, almost offended, and told me to forget about it. The other surprised me by saying that his boss would kill him for selling the first one out the door at a discount, but by the time we're ready to make a decision in a couple of months the situation will probably be different. If anyone has bought at a significant discount under MSRP, you will win my undying appreciation if you will please shoot me an e-mail with your location as Im willing to cross a couple of states for a good deal and a nice drive home.
    Overall, I really like the Armada with strong but not deal-breaking reservations on the interior. However, being able to pick up a a good, used '03 Expy EB for $31-32k makes it a tough call and keeps me undecided for now.
    Sorry for such a long post, hope my input is useful for someone out there, and may God continue to bless America with the fortune that allows us to even consider buying vehicles like the Armada in the first place.
  • edloeseredloeser Member Posts: 15
    Sorry, I posted that entry without knowing if you can access a poster's e-mail address thru this site or not and I still dont know. If you cant, please post where you bought at a good discount under MSRP- I guess I dont know if you can actually name dealers by name, either. So if not just post your city and I'll stop bugging everyone!