Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Anyone experiencing brake noise when first applying brakes?

bwoodard1bwoodard1 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Honda
I just bought a 2002 Odyssey and love it! But, I have a problem which has gotten louder. Each time I put the van in reverse the first time the brakes are applied it make a loud noise sounds like shifting in the brake pads, it occurs again when the brakes are first applied going forward. One service person said this is normal and a sales person said it is not. Any suggestion?

Comments

• fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    For safety's sake, immediately check to see that your lug nuts are tightened properly. My thought on this is the possibility that your brake hubs (I assume you do not have disk brakes in the rear) may be shifting on the lug bolts, if the nuts are not adequately tightened.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    My parents have an Odyssey, wonderful minivan. I think they have 4 wheel disks. I have not noticed any noises with theirs, of course I'm not around when they first move it of a morning. I don't know what you mean by "sounds like shifting in the brake pads," but a lot of brake pads will make a metal on metal squeal, at least that is how I would describe it. If it is the sound that I am trying to describe, then it is normal. But if you have a deeper grinding noise, then you could have other problems.
  • kgardoniakgardonia Member Posts: 7
    I have the same noise in my 01 Odyssey. It is the brake pads shifting in the caliper. Dealer claims that the excess clearance space was designed in the system to compensate for heat expansion. He even had a service bulletin explaining the situation. There must be no problem with the brakes, as I am at 58K miles and still on the original set of pads and braking action is still very good.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    If a Honda makes a brake noise, it is a hallmark of excellence and superb engineering. If a domestic vehicle makes the same noise, it is obviously sloppy manufacturing and a total lack of quality assurance.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    stuff strips torn from the service bulletin between the pads and the calipers until the noise stops.......
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    In the morning take a quick stare at the brake rotors. If you see rust spots (the brake rotors are cast iron, so rust happens), that's what's causing it. After the rust spots have been grinded away, it's back to quiet.
  • bigjim01bigjim01 Member Posts: 13
    Had the same problem on my '99 Odyssey. Lasted until I changed the front pads to Wagner pads at about 50K. They squealed every morning as I backed out of the driveway and then remained quiet until the next morning. Same thing all over again every day. No more since the change to new pads. Totally quiet now. Smooth and quick braking. Still on the original rear (drum) pads at 57500 ,miles.
  • connief1connief1 Member Posts: 8
    I have owned a 2002 Odyssey van for a year, and I have the same issue with the brakes...it sounds like the back end of the van is ready to break apart. It is LOUD. I got the same bulletin after two visits to the Honda people about this problem. "It is normal", they say. Well, when I am in a parking lot, and my car does this after sitting for awhile, and everyone in the lot turns to see where that noise came from, I don't like it!
  • emgarciaemgarcia Member Posts: 3
    My cousin and I purchased 2002 Odyseeys at the same time, same break noise, according to our dealer here in Miami, Braman Honda, it is normal in teh Odysseys.
  • edgetaedgeta Member Posts: 32
    Geez, Please at least look first in other discussions....
This discussion has been closed.