Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Si/SiR Maintenance and Repair

moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
edited April 2014 in Honda
Items to be aware of on 2002 Civic Si. Based on my actual experience.
1. High oil usage. 1 quart in first 2300 miles.
2. CEL due to fuel system leakage.
3. Radio defects/failure. On long trips the radio will cease to function.
4. Tire/Suspension issues- currently being diagnosed. The symptom is vibration at highway speeds.

Comments

• Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    And the car has been out 10 months or so?
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    your kind of on your high horse now. You probably know this discussion was opened only two weeks ago, not 10 months ago. Also, it was openned by the host of the Civic SiR board because there were a number posts there regarding 02 Si problems. It is just hard to find these when you have to look through 1400+ posts.

I am not saying the 02 is a defect riddled car, but there have been posts about oil consumption, vibrations, paint problems, peeling dash materials... to mention some.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your helpfulness in solving my Si problems. I can only assume you are trying to be funny or sarcastic instead of helping.

For others who have a genuine interest.

Parts were replaced in fuel system.

Radio was replaced.

Oil usage is being monitored.

The front wheels were rebalanced, I will see if the vibration reappears.

Gee35- If you think there are no problems on the Si then you need some of the other boards and even the tests in magazine articles. Oil usage, radio defects, paint problems, tire/wheel/suspension vibration, CEL, EPS, and fit and finish issues.

• Options
    rivertownrivertown Member Posts: 928
    I thought we got here from trying to compare Honda reliability with that of other makes. On that (beside the point here), my take is that Honda tends to be stronger but can still produce an individual problem car. I think it's a bummer that you got one of 'em, Mopar.

Since I'm gonna buy an SI anyhow, I'd like to know how you feel about how Honda has attempted to fix your probs. Have they been responsive or hard to deal with? Give you the 'customer service' shuffle, or engage with and effectively resolve probs?
  • Options
    hamproofhamproof Member Posts: 241
    Man, I've never had any car making so much noise as the Si is.

I can't blame it solely on the cold weather anymore like someone suggested. It wasn't bone chilling cold this weekend. Around 40F or so. But the car is developing some weird noise from the right and left side of the car. It used to be only the left side. I think it is coming from the engine compartment. I looked in it but I can't find anything loose in there. Even the rod to hold up the hood is secure.

It is also hard to describe the noise but it comes on when I'm going at highway speed. Like I said, it is worse now since both side are developing that sound. It doesn't sound like tire noise nor wind sound. I've made sure I've nothing loose in the car but the sound doesn't seem to be emanating from the cabin. Definitely outside noise.

If I turn on the radio, I can't hear it anymore but when the radio is off, it is almost as clear as day to me though my gf. often says what noise??

I guess there's only 1 perfect Si in US that runs as smooth as glass and we all know who owns it. Bummer for the rest of us.

On the plus side, I'm getting better gas mileage going from 91 to 87. In my A4, I have to use 93 or 91 at min. So, it was a habit to automatically put in 93 or 91 though I've read conflicting reports that you should never use higher rated octane than what is recommended. I don't believe the Si is a car that will actually adapt to higher octane. In my last fillup, I was seeing 28MPG compared to 23 or so just the week before.
  • Options
    The Honda dealership has provided an excellent service experience in all respects.
    Cross my fingers I hope that all the initial issues are resolved. Other owners have reported that oil consumption is an issue that will disappear as more miles are put on the car.
  • Options
    sigirlsigirl Member Posts: 13
    all hondas and acuras eat oil especially if you dont break it in right the first few thousand miles
  • Options
    What is the break-in period of my Honda?
    Help assure your vehicle's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 600 miles (1,000 kilometers). During this period:

Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.
    Avoid hard braking. New brakes need to be broken in by moderate use for the first 200 miles (300 km).

I followed the above and my Si is using oil. It will not be using oil after 10,000 miles according to the experience of others. Even when car had 140,000 plus miles my previous Accord never used any oil.

Break in oil- according to Honda- Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?
    Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.
    American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I've never heard of Honda and Acuras eating oil. You almost never see a old Honda/Acura blowing any blue smoke. It may have been a different case back in the early 80's but since 86 it hasn't been.

Last time I checked my oil (7000 miles) I had not used any oil since the 3000 mile mark. I am going to get it changed within the next couple of days and hopefully I saw the last of the oil burning at the 3000 mile mark.
  • Options
    I've never heard of Honda and Acuras eating oil

You just heard moparbad saying his 02 Si is consuming oil. So, there you have it. You heard it.

On the other hand, I'm at 1000miles, and my oil level remained the same. Hopefully it will as the miles rakes up.
  • Options
    The RSX, SI, and S2000 have had reports of consuming oil during the first few thousand miles but to say that all honda/acura products eat oil is a little bit of an exaggeration.
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    My Si does run "smooth as glass" (~4500 miles), that said, I don't think there is any point in having people disputing other people's problems. ie "I've never heard of Honda and Acuras eating oil."
  • Options
    Well I haven't. And there aren't alot of complaints on Edmunds about Hondas using an abnormal amount of oil except during the first few thousand miles of RSX, SI, or S2000 ownership.
  • Options
    But if people are saying that it happens to their car, what difference does it make what you have and haven't heard of?
  • Options
    The difference is that the person who said that Honda/Acuras eat oil hasn't owned enough Honda/Acuras to make that judgement. I don't see anyone else complaining of oil "eating". And if it does eat oil during the first 10,000 miles and you know it's using oil then check your oil.
  • Options
    quote-The difference is that the person who said that Honda/Acuras eat oil hasn't owned enough Honda/Acuras to make that judgement.-end

The same person that made the above statement has no problem making negative judgements about Ford, GM, VW and other makes they have not "owned enough to make a judgement about".

I've had some problems with my Si. Other owners of Si or Honda telling me their car did not have a problem did not persuade my Si to fix itself and was not helpful in any way. Please step off the pulpit and realize that Honda is a car and not a religion. Try offering a solution instead of criticism.
  • Options
    between someone saying all Honda/Acuras eat oil vs. saying VW, Ford, and GM tend to have above average occurences of problems in general. Other than the SI, RSX, and S2000's early oil consumption (which by almost all accounts ends after you put some mileage on the car) you will not read of any excessive or abnormal oil consumption on a well-maintained, or even OK-maintained Honda/Acura engine. Whereas, if you do a search for VW, Ford, and GM problems pages upon pages will come back with websites devoted to hating the company and their cars.

As far as me not having experience with VW, GM, and Ford .. I haven't owned them but I do work for a VERY high-volume used car dealer and see all kinds of cars go through both in service and sales. And our one GM product was the nightmare that it was made to be. Got rid of that 2000 Silverado after 10 months and 7,000 miles. Lost about $6,500 in the process but boy was it worth it to get out of that gas-guzzing heap of pretty metal. Got a 94 LS400 instead. Had 113,000 miles when we bought it and has been flawless.

Long story short ... you don't need personal experience with a Ford, GM, or VW to know that they are subpar. The facts are right there for us to read. Facts also show that under normal circumstances your Honda (Passports not included) will be more reliable than the above-mentioned brands.
  • Options
    "all hondas and acuras eat oil especially if you dont break it in right the first few thousand miles" isn't about a specific car, problem, or owner; it's about 'all' Hondas. It's neither a true statement in my personal experience nor consistent with 'lore'. My '99 Si, broken in fairly carefully for 600 miles and driven hard sometime everyday thereafter, never used more than 1/2 a quart between changes.
    FWIW, I think general statements about a make or model can be valid and still not apply to every single car sold. I.e., Honda's have a rep for reliability and value retention that seems true over all, whether or not Ham and Mopar are having probs. That doesn't make those probs any the less probs, any more than the probs make the rep any the less true. (I suspect the rep makes the probs less acceptable - to the owners as well as the dealers, who, reports have it, have been very responsive in resolving the probs.)
    Personally, I'm glad to know the 2 liter engine is 'atypical' in using oil during break-in. It won't bum me out if that's my experience, and I know to check more carefully.
  • Options
    I felt the same way. I saw some people were reporting oil consumption so I knew to keep a closer eye on my oil than I normally do and I was especially obedient to the break-in procedures. The owner's manual says to check your oil between fill-ups anyways although I admit I check my oil now about once a month since I have 8,000 miles and haven't used oil since the 3,000 mile mark.

It somes some people disagree to disagree. Maybe that's just the affect I have on people. :-)
  • Options
    The same person that made the above statement has no problem making negative judgements about Ford, GM, VW and other makes they have not "owned enough to make a judgement about".

I like this statement. A lot! LOL.

Btw, anony, no one said ALL Honda/Acura ate oil.

Anony said:
    Got rid of that 2000 Silverado after 10 months and 7,000 miles. Lost about $6,500 in the process but boy was it worth it to get out of that gas-guzzing heap of pretty metal.</>

Hmm, let's see. Buy a brand new truck which has the highest profit margin for the big 3 and keep it for 10 months and you just lost $6,500. I think you did pretty good. Someone else would have lost at least $10k. No wonder you and gee35 can afford to buy/lease 2 news cars (average) every year.

Anony also said:
    Whereas, if you do a search for VW, Ford, and GM problems pages upon pages will come back with websites devoted to hating the company and their cars.

So, you are saying if I do a search on google now, I'll never find a single website with complains about Honda and Acura?? I'm sure you'll say there aren't as many websites for Honda/Acura compared to the rest of the car makers.

Face it. You may follow Honda like a cult. We don't.
  • Options
    Look at post #9: "all hondas and acuras eat oil especially if you dont break it in right the first few thousand miles"
  • Options
    If someone said that all hondas ate oil than you should argue with them, I didn't notice that. Mine hasn't eaten any.
  • Options
    'Tain't no biggie.
    'Twas said.
    'Twas argued.
    Arguer was argued with for arguing.
    Still 'tain't true.
    Might be true that the 2 liter uses oil during break-in. I haven't been skeered enough (or I'm too skeered) to check at 225 miles on the odo; so I dunno about mine.
  • Options
    Thanks river. It's funny that hammie will disect every word in my posts and skip over someone else's. :)

And no .. I wasn't saying you won't find Honda/Acura problems if you do a google search but there will be no where near the number of results vs. doing the same for the above mentioned manufacturers.

BTW: Can you believe a MILLIONAIRE won that $315 MILLION dollars? Talk about luck. And I'm happy when I get a free chic-fil-a sandwich.
  • Options
    Had a good visit with my tire guy today. His input about 16's or 17's with more aggressive (lower sidewall) tires was, "Don't do it." The upside is tighter handling. The downside is more tire failures; the tire gets pinched against the rim more often with bad potholes.
  • Options
    redsirredsir Member Posts: 34
    I think this oil consumption issue is out of proportion. Having owned six Civics from 1978 to 2002, oil usage is minimal. have always followed the break in and change intervals.

1978 Hatch......180k Km none
    1979 Wagon......180k Km none
    1984 Si Hatch...160k Km none
    1997 4drEX......110k Km none
    2001 2DrLX......48k Km 1/2 litre on break in only
    2002 SIR Hatch...4500 Km 3/4 litre on break in. None since.

Others were Datsun,MGB,Suzuki,Toyota Volkswagen and unfortunately a Plymouth. Only the MGB and Plymouth needed weekly top ups.

If you are thinking of buying, oil usage is not some to worry about.
  • Options
    I believe we've got it!
    Notice the contention level dropping already?
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....seems to be a huge drift forming here. There have been a few posts removed as they are off topic. Please remember that this topic is for owners to discuss Honda Civic Si/SiR problems and offer helpful/supportive solutions.

Thanks for your cooperation.

KarenS/Host
  • Options
    Fuel economy to date remains below expectations. Best I can get is 400 km on a tank with a 40 litre refill. 10 litres/100 km is a long way from the 7 to 9 specs.

Tire vibrations experienced when new have not gone away completely. Also I have noticed they can flatspot overnight.

I had the dealer balance them yesterday with little or no effect. I will be going back again.

Perhaps the tires and fuel economy are related?
  • Options
    I have the factory Michelins and a few weeks ago on a trip to SC I averaged 33MPG. Average speed was anywhere from 80-85MPH with some 90MPH bursts. I do notice that the tires do not like it when it's cold and you first start moving. Mine usually smooth out after the first 10 miles or so.
  • Options
    On my recent trip to Atlanta, for a total of 760miles 1-way, I average a paltry 27MPG. On the return trip for example, it took me 10hrs. to make it back. So, my average speed (including gas re-fuel, rest stops etc) is 76MPH.

My odometer would hit about 260miles and the light would come on. Re-fueling takes about 10-10.5 gallons depending on how far I had to go before seeing a gas station I like (Shell, Mobil, BP).

A thread on EPHatch.com also confirms the poor gas mileage of the Si. Well, 27 ain't bad but when you are cruising on the highway for 10hrs, I expect to get 30mpg.

I think the only perfect Si (or rather 2) has been purchased by anony. No one else's Si is as perfect as hers. My still creaks and rattles. I spin my tires a lot on slightly snowed over roads.

Anyone who is interested in reading about poor MPG reported by Si owners on ephatch.com website, go here:

Link to poor Si gas mileage
  • Options
    I read the link and if you read the posts you will notice that as the miles add up the gas mileage improves and those who use premium fuel also experience improved MPG. EPA is 26/31 so anything within that range is acceptable. My gas mileage has improved as the car has aged and I have personally noticed that it burns less gas when premium is used. Premium is the recommended fuel. It can run on regular but it will run better on premium.
  • Options
    Hamproof...thanks for the link to ephatch.com.

Lots of good stuff.
  • Options
    EPA and Honda state the fuel economy for Si as 26 and 30. I've averaged 26-27mpg with about 80% hiway driving. Regular unleaded is the recommended fuel by Honda. Most vehicles that are designed to run on regular get no performance increase from premium. This has been tested and is not my opinion.
    I have to agree that the Michelin tires do not perform well when cold. They are bumpy and vibration prone when cold IMHO.
    I have a new concern about the Si and want to know your feedback. Has anyone had any problems with paint chipping? It was reported as a problem in a review of UK civics and I thought at the time that the problem was due to abuse. Now I have had a paint chipping experience with my Si that was unusual. How is your paint holding up? I have not had my car long enough to know for sure one way or another how the paint is going to hold up.
  • Options
    My first full tank, mostly city and short runs, I got 25 mpg, which pleased me. 2nd tank, mostly city and short runs also, I got 20 mpg. I'm just in from 300 miles, x-way @ 80mph; and I got 23 mpg. I've not turned a K on the odo yet; sure hope this improves.

I agree about the Michelins. First time I've experienced that vibration with cold tires, but I also think the tight chassis transmits very well.
  • Options
    At least my car is better than yours in one aspect :) I get 27MPG while you are less than 25MPG. But yours doesn't creak and rattle as mine does.

On my first 1000miles, I too thought it will improve. I posted here and anony (who else) said the car is still new and it'll improve. Well, guess what? I'm at 3000+ now and it is still the same. Using unleaded or premium doesn't make a difference in MY car. I still can't break 30MPG.

Like I said, her car is the only one I've read about on the net getting 33MPG.

Moparbad - you are right about using premium. If we use anything higher than what the manuf. recommend, we are only throwing dimes away on the gallon. The only time it can make a difference if you re-fuel in a shabby gas station which supply less than the indicated Octane. Maybe a 87 is actually more like 86. So, in that case using 89 or 91 or even 93 might be better.

In my case, I always refuel at the Mobil station near where I live for many many years now. I trust the gas that I put in my cars.
  • Options
    A rattling sound that appears while crusing on highway seem to have diminished. Even the creaking sound from the right side of the car is gone.

But the left side refuses to go away. I think it is coming from either the steering column or woofer (inside of the side mirror) or speakers (down by the door). It is kinda hard to isolate the sound. Anyone has any sound coming from this area?

I took off the left panels last week and zip tie one cable. Looks like that's not the one. Might have to take off the speaker covers and take a look.
  • Options
    Do all of us a favor. Let us know what miles you get when the light first come on.

Also, if you read the thread on the link I provided, you'll notice a majority of people are complaining about the gas mileage. However you fail to see that and just say the mileage will improve as the miles rakes up.

Look, you mentioned that last time when I was on my second tank (less than 1000miles). I'm over 3000 miles now and have re-fuel countless of times now. Do I have to wait till I hit 10,000 miles? Maybe then you'll tell me to wait 20k, 30k??

We don't make these things up, you know. It is a genuine problem. Unfortunately, the problem you faced, your car rolling down a hill, seem to only affect you and me here on this board. Though I was there to prevent my car from rolling any further down. EPHatch has a few reports on owners car rolling down too. In one instance, the car actually hit another parked car.
  • Options
    doiredoire Member Posts: 6
    The Civic Si is rated for between 26 and 30 mpg.

The maximum fuel economy will be returned at a constant speed of just under 60 mph in fifth gear, since the engine management system is tuned for European use and the European regulations are designed for 56mph fuel economy figures.

I have a 2002 Civic Si with 8400 miles on it, and I too cruise at around 78mph on the highways. I'm consistently getting about 27mpg. I use the recommended 87 octane unleaded fuel, as anything else is a waste of money.

Any expectation of 30mpg or higher at speeds in excess of 60 mph is optimistic at best. Honda have never claimed that figure.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. But when you have someone who claims getting 33MPG going 70+ on the highway, it makes you wonder if you got a different car from her.
  • Options
    doiredoire Member Posts: 6
    33mpg seems optimistic but that may be one sample. I hope she's just lucky enough to have a particularly economic car.

I used to design automotive engine management systems, and as with any complicated machine there are variations between individual machines. It's possible that a small number regularly return in excess of 30mpg. However the overwhelming majority won't; if they did, Honda would claim those figures.

In the 8400 miles I've driven in my 2002 Si, the car has generally performed well and is fun to drive. I have had some minor problems though:

- The radio On/Off button has been temperamental, not working at all for a period of 2 days.
    - Excessive wind noise from the drivers side
    - Used a quart of oil in the first 3000 miles

The radio I will have checked out by the dealer. The wind noise is, I suspect, a design flaw I won't be able to fix.
    The oil usage is probably just because the engine is new and the moving parts were bedding in. I don't expect that to continue.

All in all it's a great car for the money. If I get the radio fixed and reduce that wind noise it'll be everything I expected it to be.
  • Options
    Yes, Doire, that's good info to have. I get the wind noise, too, and have taken it as a downside in a package overwhelmingly filled with upsides.

I saw a post in the ephatch link Ham posted about chip tuning that suggested better power and mileage could be had by mods to the programing in the engine management chip. I'm already over my head knowledge-wise; but that idea makes sense to me, especially in light of Doire's comments. Can anyone give me a quick course? Upsides, downsides, companies, products, etc.?
  • Options
    Wait for this Friday for the release of a ECU re-programming from Hondata.com.

Unfortunately, this particular company will require you to send in one of your car key, immobilizer and ECU to have it re-flash.

I am familiar w/ ECU re-programming w/ the Audi before and it's 1.8T engine. From 150HP (earlier model) to 170HP (current model), you can boost it up to 207HP and 245ft.lb w/ just a higher boost, re-map fuel and oxygen mixture and timing as well. All done w/ a chip.

If only the Hondata.com chip will be authorized dealer installable and gives about 180WHP, I'm be a customer. Maybe 190WHP w/ exhaust :)

Price will be $600.
  • Options
    TY, Ham! I'll check it out!

Got any take on reliability, wear, warranty, etc.?
  • Options
    Maybe I attained 33MPG because I use premium fuel. It's only 3MPG above the EPA estimate. So it's definitely not impossible considering the premium fuel. Premium fuel is not a waste of money if it is the recommended fuel for the vehicle. The car does run on regular but it runs noticably better on premium fuel. Seems peppier and it gets better MPG.

As for the squeak coming from the driver's side of the car. Zip tie the wires beneath the steering column. I had a squeak that seemed to be coming from the steering column and isolated it to those wires. Gee cinched them up and we haven't heard a creak or rattle since.
  • Options
    TY, Anony

The squeak was in the door pillar, probably the plastic interior trim. Since it was right there, LOL, I could feel the vibes in my finger tips when I touched it. It came and went and hasn't returned.

BTW, the manual says to use 87 octane gas. I'm hoping my mpg is simply a break-in phenomenon. Heck, I'd be happy with Ham's mileage, even if he isn't. If I can't better my h-way mpg in a 5.0 'Stang, that will be my first Si disappointment.
  • Options
    Premium for Si is not recommended and will not increase mileage.

- Higher octane gas (super unleaded) does not give your car more power or better fuel mileage. It means your car is more resistant to detonation. Purchasing the more expensive, higher octane, premium fuel provides no benefit to most cars. The only reason to use high octane gas is if your car is starting to "ping" (which is also called engine knock). This knock will not only rob your car of power and fuel mileage, but more importantly, depending on the severity, can ruin your engine over time.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm
  • Options
    I agree with you but unfortunately anony will come back and say her experience proof otherwise, and heck it is only a few pennies over regular though it could work out to be $2/fuelup.

River - is it a squeek or a rattle?? In the Si/Sir thread you said it is a rattle. If it is a squeek, it is definitely not the same sound.

anony - I did try 89 and 91 during my trip to Atlanta. But since the mileage wasn't good. So I used 87 all the way back and document it. 27MPG ain't bad since it is ONLY 3MPG off the EPA or 10%. If only my 401k are returning 10%..
  • Options
    The sound I was getting was from the driver's side roof pillar, and it went away. Touching the plastic trim, I could feel the vibes. It sounded like plastic on plastic.

I'd be really happy with your mpg, Ham. Maybe mine will improve with more wear in. My old Stang would reliably get 25 mpg hway, and my '99 Si would get 29-30. LOL, fuel costs were pretty even since the '99 needed 91 octane.

The long service intervals on the '02 impress me! What is it? Over 100K until the first tune up? Most of my driving is the worst kind - 2,3 mile trips with lots of stop-start; so, I'll use the 'severe schedule'.
  • Options
    But that doesn't preclude you from doing the fluid changes. An old hand like you shouldn't need me to remind you, right?

Just buy Mobil1 from Costco and do your own oil changes every 5000 miles since you are in the severe category. But filters online from handa-accessories.com.

No more paying $300-$400 on the 30k tuneup for me. Though I'm sure unscrupulous service dealers will tell you otherwise.

And the best part, no timing belt to change :)

I've looked under the fuse panel and the little plastic storage compartment (taking them apart) to find the little bugger that is making all the racket. I even zip-tied one cable that I think might be the culprit. Will resort to taping them if I get a chance today. Will also remove the steering column cover and see if I can see any loose wires like anony did.

I don't think mine is coming from the A-Pillar but there was a noise there before. A flapping sound but that has not been appearing. At times I think it is coming from the tweeter. If only the weather is not <20F. Not fun working in an unheated garage in the middle of winter.
This discussion has been closed.