Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• donnak1donnak1 Member Posts: 39
    Does it pull/drift to the right? Have you read all of the messages regarding all of the problems with this car? Do you mind spending most of your time in the service department? Do you want to get to know your state's lemon law? I sure hope you got lucky on your purchase. I personally, am trying to decide whether or not to go for the buy back.
    Good luck,
    Donna :lemon:
  • newdodgemannewdodgeman Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for this info. dll2k4. I called yesterday and was informed my car was shipped 4/7/05. woo-hoo! Though I have been well treated at my dealership and have no issues with them (let's hope that will continue after I receive my car) it will be interesting to see their reaction when I tell them this news. And wouldn't you know it will probably come in next week (I am assuming 2 weeks transit time to Boston area) while I will be in Calf. Murphy strikes again! Thanks all.

newdodgeman
  • seadoosandiseadoosandi Member Posts: 19
    Donna,

I thought the right drift was finally fixed on your car. Your last post sounds like you are still having a problem.

SeadooSandi
  • altaholiconealtaholicone Member Posts: 25
    Can some of you RT hemi owners do a test for me and let me know the results?

Start car cold, completely cold.
    Idle for 30 seconds. Turn off.
    Wait 30 minutes and re start. See if oil smoke comes out the exhaust.
    They wait time can be a little more or less, but the run time must not get it warm or even close, so sta around 30 seconds.

Let me know Here or tlj@bendcable.com
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a national magazine is on a series of articles with real people and their car buying experiences. The reporter is looking for people who have recently purchased a car and had an interesting car buying experience using non-traditional methods. Specfically, the reporter would like to speak with people who have purchased a Mustang, Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum, a Mini Cooper hardtop or convertible or a hybrid vehicle of any make. If you fit what the reporter is looking for, please email the details of your car buying experience with your contact information to kholguin@edmunds.com by Friday, April 22, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    I have an '05 RT and like the idea of having the express up front windows that the 05 300C and '06 magnum RT Conv Grp II models have. Anyone know how easy or involved it would be to enable that feature. WOuld it be as easy and swapping out the power window switches on the front doors or is it more involed and therefore not worthwhile?
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I just cancelled my order for a 2006 Magnum. I had ordered an SXT, as the RT rides too rough for my needs, but the SXT lacks too many features available on other cars. Also, I didn't like what I saw when I re-examined the side crash test results and noted the lack of side torso air bags. I will wait until the 2007 models are out (roughly one year from now) to make my choice.
    Would you try this on your car and let me know what happens?
    Can some of you RT hemi owners do a test for me and let me know the results?

Start car cold, completely cold.
    Idle for 30 seconds. Turn off.
    Wait 30 minutes and re start. See if oil smoke comes out the exhaust.
    They wait time can be a little more or less, but the run time must not get it warm or even close, so sta around 30 seconds.

Let me know Here or tljbendcable.com
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    My father picked up his 2005 Magnum RT AWD tonight! It's Cool Vanilla with the light Greystone interior. Fully loaded. What a cool car. I totally have car envy now!
  • kowalskikowalski Member Posts: 94
    Current crash tests rate the Magnum and 300 5 stars.........
    I was sold..
    Not a puff or hint of smoke ..
    It just dawned on me .This car reminds me of the 64 riv /dual qauds my dad had as I was a kid.
    I bought it 10 years later it was a real head turner and cruised much like the magnum ,firm and fast when needed.
  • gothemigothemi Member Posts: 4
    Im an owner of the first 05 magnum in ohio last year but knowing what thier are coming out with this June ia called the SRT8 Hemi it is a 6.1 Hemi with 425 hp with more opptions ava. Not due until June of 05.
    Hello I'm an owner of a 2005 Magnum Hemi RT and the tires on the care are wearing down to 5/32 of an inch already and their is only 15,000 miles on the car and driven with the most respect you can give a car. Has anyone else having this problem with their tires.P225 60 18 BSW touring tires. Continental tires said their is nothing they can do to help and the dealer agrees with me that the tires are rotated every time the oil is changed. The kicker is the continental tire is the only tire company to make this size tire for this particular car.
    As with any car, i would get an alignment, which may or may not be the specs from the factory on what is best for tire wear. Especially toe and camber.
    Good for you! I'm glad yours is ok.
  • cuppcupp Member Posts: 5
    Yes, had to replace my tires on my RT at 18000 miles. They were worn down to the tread wear bars. Continental & Chrysler pro-rated the tires and it cost me $300 for a complete set. Just took the car in for a 3000 mile oil change & the Service Manager checked out the new set & they are already feathering on the outer edges. He had the tires rotated at no cost to me & will look them over next trip in for oil change. Need to push the issue at your dealer, mine never hesitated to get on the phone with both Chrysler & Continental & had this resolved in 24 hours.
  • bcdavisbcdavis Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever take any pictures of the dash kit installed?

I'd love to see them.
  • bcdavisbcdavis Member Posts: 3
    I was also wondering again if anyone has added an aftermarket exhaust. It seems like there are 3 brands available. Borla, Flowmaster, and MagnaFlow. Does anyone have any recommendations?
  • 06magnumrt06magnumrt Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a 2006 RT on 2/10/05. I drove it home last night (4/20/05). That is a day short of 11 weeks from the order date. I don't know of any way to find out updated ETA without asking the dealer.
    me too pal ...
    check tire rack ....
    Buy an older c5 vette 45k plus tax and apr is going to have you at about 55 k ..
    Dosnt make sense Id buy a porsche awd for that change ..
    That srt 8 will drop like a rock if you thought a magnum would drop the srt8 will disappear out of sight..at 45K + no way Im happy iwth the hemi at 340 hp .

Wake up call! its a station wagon ..
    Any body know wheres a good place for after market parts for the magnum rt
    ?????????????????????????????????????
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I got a forward of an e-mail from my DCX dealer regarding the front tire wear. It is as follows:

> At our last meeting Chrysler advised us to make it a point to instruct
    > each of our Magnum / 300 owners to rotate their tires based on the
    > "scheduled maintenance guide." The guide shows every 6000 miles and that
    > should be considered a minimum. Every oil change would be preferred. The
    > tires on these cars are not the normal compounds and the cars develop a
    > great deal of caster and camber when cornering which will cause tire
    > cupping.

I got a kick out of it-blame the abnormal front outside tire wear on the tire "compounds". What does everyone think about this spin on the tire wear issue?
  • dshueydshuey Member Posts: 10
    I had the rumble in the front when making slow, tight turns. On first visit i was told "those models do that" Unacceptable..so i took it back. On second visit Dealer called chysler and was told to changethe transfer case fluid and that did the trick...so far.
  • rgdawsonrgdawson Member Posts: 11
    I am seeing the same thing on my RT AWD. I noticed significant wear after 3000 miles so I took it in for a check. The mechanic showed me that the alirgnment was already nearly perfect, so he rotated them for me for free, at least. At this rate these tires will wear out pretty fast. Looks like we are screwed.
    My '05 RT has over 6K on it. Just had the tires rotated and balanced and there is nothing wrong with my tires. I fill my tires to 35 psi and check it monthly if not more.

SeadooSandi
    Thankyou..
    That info is very helpful I suspected 34-36 psi,my car was delivered with 28 psi all around.
    I was just myself wonder the best psi to run my hemi at to maximize those crappy tires..
    It will be my first excuse to upgrade to nicer rims and skins,the wife in one week has scuffed one rim ..The stoke rims will make good winter rims with some serious snows attached.
    I havnt seem an AWD Hemi in my area yet other than mine.I literally stumble onto mine by luck the salesman thought it was an sxt no awd,lol ..
    I had to laugh, "um,its a hemi bub".

I have been checking dealer invetory no AWD RTS anywhere,only se and a few Rts.I dig having the only one in my area , big time..

People really caught on to these cars fast ! I am inpressed I love the thing..
    A few things like a 70 piece wood dash kit ,new rims/tires and IlI be fine!
    Im shocked at the attn this car gets it gets more than my c5.
    I mean every where you go the hemi really makes em stare !

FYI!
    Funny I just had seen a show on tv ,on the east coast they are targeting agressive drivers big time,Im all for busting the tailgaters and the headlight flashers and the manic lane changers.5 points and its called agressive driving!!
    Man nothing ticks me off more than a tailgater in some beat honda when Im in my c5.Ive been hit by an unalert driver from behind let me tell you youll always watch your mirror from that day on...an old guy roasted my Saab convert..hes was doing 60 I was stopped turning..
    The fast and the foolish crowd from a few years ago are really going to hate this.Most states are already modifying laws to crack down hard like a DUI in a sense..
    Funny when you have the power you dont need to use it unless really needed,my days of glory are long gone I drive my cars well ,thats my story and Im sticking to it officer..
    Having that hemi is tempting at times,it seriously moves out Im shocked..The AWD really seems to give the car a total oppisite feeling than the RT I test drove.
    I needed the AWd here in Michigan ..

I went with the awd and dig it..
  • peterskmpeterskm Member Posts: 79
    I am running the Conti self-sealing tires at 40psi on my RWD RT.
    The dealer checked the alignment and it is perfect. Continental told me that the tires are a soft compound tire like the tires they put on benz and porche so forth and that they wear faster than normal tires. If you can afford that type of car you should be able to afford new tires every year. The dealership manager said he can get me the new tires for the cost they pay for them but i feel dodge or continental should pay for them. But there is more there are no other tire maker that makes this size tire other than continental tire, Dodge had this tire made special for this car with the Hemi.
    Well I'm going Friday 28th to have a borla system put on without the resingnaters and i will let you know what i thick about they. They will cost just around $1000.00 with installation.
  • harleyvetteharleyvette Member Posts: 2
    I DO NOT HAVE A HEMI BUT THE SXT WITH DARK TINTED WINDOWS! LOVE IT. MY HUSBAND GOT THE WOOD DASH TRIM KIT FOR ME AND IT LOOKS AWESOME. HE GOT A REALLY REALLY GOOD PRICE ON IT. IF ANYONE WANTS THE SITE, LEAVE A MESSAGE AND I WILL FIND OUT. WE BOUGHT ONE THAT WAS FLAWED, HAD SPECS IN IT FOR THE VETTE FOR A LOT MORE THEN HE PAID FOR THIS NICE ONE. ALSO, THERE WAS A HEMI AWD ON THE LOT WHEN I BOUGHT MINE. (GLEN BURNIE, MARYLAND) I COULDN'T AFFORD IT!!
    Go to the discount tire website and type in the continental tire size it will pull up a list of alternative tire sizes to use.

SeadooSandi
    '05 Magnesium Pearl RWD RT
  • exfordmanexfordman Member Posts: 9
    Hey all..first time here..just bought a new '05 Magnum RT 4/25/05..inferno red...friching love the thing..
    After months of searching and getting dissapointed(actually pissed) about the 2-5K dealer mark up..I finally found what I think was an awsome deal. I live in the SF Bay Area and everything here is expensive.
    I was able to get my new RT (showing only 10 miles on the odomiter) for $26,498..Thats $4500 below MSRP. The finance guy said they were taking a loss on the deal, but could afford to do so because they were selling them at up to $10K OVER MSRP!
    Can anyone confirm this was a good deal..please, please help with my buyers remorse...Add tax and licence..still a lot of money
  • magnumlovermagnumlover Member Posts: 6
    I bought a Magnum RT RWD HEMI on 11/20/2004. I have put approx. 11,000 miles on it since then in Dec. 04 I took a round trip from Tucson,Az. to Galax, Virginia and then in March I went to Kansas & Missouri and back to Tucson.

I have had absolutely no problems with it at all. I can't complain about the mileage I got it was 20-21 mpg, and at times I ran her up to 110mph to pass a line of Tractor-trailers getting ready to pass each other going uphill so of course I had I stomp on it so I wouldn't get hung up behind them and it did not effect my mileage that much.

I know I paid too much for my Magnum @ ($42,900.66) cash, but what with the lose of my Son Robert in Iraq 9/25/2004 and then my Wife Karen on 10/2/2004 died of a heart attack one week after we lost our son, it just made me feel a little better after I lkearned that when my son lived with his Uncle in Virginia he said on several occasions that if he ever won the Lottery he would buy his DAD one of the coolest cars on the road. So that is why I bought it, that and the fact that every since I saw that commercial that says you can open up a Magnum from either end I wanted one, it sure does suck though when I think of the way it happened.

One reason I like the Magnum so much is because of the ESP system in the car. It sure dose make it handle so well that I think the only way you can lose control of the vehicle is if you fall asleep. I drove it through snow, rain all types of weather on the trips I have taken in it, and never even came close to having handling problems with it. All I can say is that my Magnum is the sweetest car I ever owned in my life. It sure does turn heads when I'm out driving, people hank give me the thumbs up.

Talk to YA'ALL later

Magnum54
  • frac72frac72 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an 05 Magnum last August. Within the first 30 days of ownership I noticed a very hard PULL to the Right. I checked all tire pressure and had the dealer re-align the car...pull still present. The local dealer suggested a drastic measure that would remove the pull, shift the engine cradle back to the vehicle centerline. Chysler/Dodge actually has the HEMI engine shifted 1" to the right of centerline creating a serious pull due to weight distribution. It took the dealer 3 hrs. to do the work (it is not an easy task), but it has solved the problem of pull. Moreover, I am not experiencing the tire wear problems that everyone is discussing in these forums and I exercise extremely sprited driving.
    You got a HELL of a deal. I paid $32, 400 for my loaded RT. You will not ever regret buying the car. Enjoy it!!

SeadooSandi
    Brother ,Sorry for your lose!!!!

Salute!
    I got my RT/AWD for 34300 out the door .....Loaded every thing but nav and sat radio..
    I have to say at 1000 miles in just 2 weeks this car is amazing.Im getting 18-24 mpg deonding on conditions. Better than the LL bean outback subaru i just turned in .
    I just put the splash gards on,I left then unpainted and they look awsome aganist the bright silver .The back bumper matt simply set off the rear end totally, and gave the rear end depth..
    I also added new custom hemi embrodered floor mats and hemi cargo mat.Thankyou for links thay helped alot...

To say the least I decked out my company car ,at 40 years of age it reminds me of when I was a kid pulling the challenger out of the garage for a night of cruiseing.
    Funny I had seen a pic of a magnum with old school cragers on it it looked bad [non-permissible content removed]!

I never thought Id own another dodge after the 73challenger and 70charger ......This car caught me buy total surprise and looks great next to my 2000 c5 vette in the garage.

Ill be doing a dash kit soon but Ill wait till the weather warms till I install it.
    I recommed the AWD if possible its a total rush for such a big car!
    I have the only silver hemi awd in my area I love that
    I wish you all safe driving in your new rides...
    My car seems faster than any other hemi I test drove any ideas?
    Its awd and I really only test drove Rt's.I really like the sxt awd but they had a deal I couldnt pass up on a car on the lot which they didnt event know thay had I had to piint out you have a hemi on the lot the salesmans rely was "we do?"
    I bought it that night..

I red line 5800 it pulls like a beast .I drove 5 other hemis and nothing like this car ..
    Any ideas it had 50 miles on her........I was told they had a 300c awd that was delivered the same time as my magnum but the 300c sold.
    I prefered the magnums ride it felt more eurpeon and stable,not floaty.
  • judescarjudescar Member Posts: 14
    Glad to hear someone has had luck with Chrysler. I have had my Magnum to the dealer 4 times for the right PULL issue, they call it a safety feature. We have written Chrysler, talked to the zone Manager, General Manager and so far they say, the car is in specs. Well, all I can say is that if I want to change lanes in a hurry, just let go of the wheel....My tires are feathered as well. :lemon:
    26K Plus tax, and interest, what was your interst rate?
    I know of persons that when all totaled up have paid way too much for this vehicle ,timeing is the key on getting this car as you want it..
    I have heard horror storied fo persons who paid big bucks when these cars first came out.Like they could have gotten an audi or a real mercedes .
    It depends on what your interest rate is .

I paid 33,400 f or an RT AWD loaded to the max, plus a few goodies got the extended warrenty for 1000. so I paid 34,400 out the door with splash gards and bumper pad and hemi floor mats and hemi gargo area mat .

Thats with tax and every thing included and got a 5.4 rate.

NO lease I Not a dime out of pocket I bought mine .This is my only car payment I own 4 cars ..All 2000-2005 models.
    Life is good..
    Id say if you like it it a great deal add it all up .....Example I know a buddy who paid 3 k over msrp just 6 months ago .Yikes..Tax that and then add intereast and your heart about rips out your chest ...

Awsome car isnt it.I had to go AWd for we have the raunchiest weather on the planet here in Michigan .I too only paid 1% above list which was due to the timeing i bought the car .It was right after gas jumped up drastically ,and man where they ready to deal.

Keep in mind if you financed thru chrysler finace your not tied to them in any way you can shop a better rate asap .Thats from the head of the North American Division of finace for my region ,no penalty's and they are crackin down on dealers telling clients that you have to wait 4-6 month to refinance with no penalties.They did recommend giving the paper work time to process abought 2-3 weeks .I got a rate of 6.0 from chrysler but found 5.4 locally ....
    They are conserned on how his will effect customer faith in chrysler for future customers in a negitive way . They are very recpetive to hear about any mis-haps with inflated interest rates for more than qaulified customers,they claim the dealers do it for the reason to keep numbers high to aid dealership for incentives and also keep the stock price high ..

So know that rates are from 5.0 -6.0 depending if you want to bank with a robot or a real local branch ..Gotta have good credit .If you leased good luck ...
  • iwannamagnum2iwannamagnum2 Member Posts: 2
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THE TYPE OF FUEL THE MAGNUM USES?? CAN IT TAKE REGULAR UNLEADED???????????? THANK YOU!!!
    Try having your engine rebuilt like I did at 1800 miles. It makes it pull left when done.
  • iwannamagnum2iwannamagnum2 Member Posts: 2
    WHAT TYPE OF FUEL DOES THE MAGNUM USE? DOES THE HEMI ONLY TAKE PREMIUM FUEL OR CAN IT USE REGULAR UNLEADED??
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Mid grade 89 octane is recommended for the Hemi and the 3.5 motors.