Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    No need to yell (yelling = typing in all caps), which is kind of akin to killing the messenger in this case. ;-)

Mind you, I don't own a Magnum (although the 300C has my tweaked interest a bit, in spite of it's lack of a manual gearbox), and what I'm writing is speculation. That said, I used to work for MB-USA, and I've driven any number of German cars that have a 128 mph governor, so said "speculation" does have some basis.

So, on with the speculation. First off, my understanding is that the SRT8 6.1 liter Hemi cars have no such governor (or if they do, it's probably more like 155 mph). Secondly, as with most other German marques, aftermarket tuners will most likely offer (if they are not doing so already) new firmware for the ECU (engine control unit), that bumps up the limit or removes it entirely.

The question I have is, "Why?" Bragging rights? I ask because my last car came with very high speed rubber (rated to well over 150), and the only time I was annoyed by the 128 governor on it was when I picked it up in Germany on the manufacturers' European Delivery program. Once I had the car here in the U.S. I don't think I ever had it much over 110, and even that was only for a short burst on an empty road.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • romannumalromannumal Member Posts: 21
    Sorry for yell I had cap lock on and forgot it was on. I was just asking the question I do not think i would need to go over 128 just did not know why. thank you for your help. yes her in the city 90 is fast and it feel like i am going 50 that is what is nice but scary on the same hand. this is the best car i have every owned can not wait until my first road trip to the river riding in style. :)
  • peterskmpeterskm Member Posts: 79
    I have read that if you upgrade to Z rated tires, you can go to the dealer and they can change to top speed governor accordingly with their StarScan tool.
    I still am a bit leary of your dealer's advice. I know the covers are closer to $100. I've seen them for $85 for the '05 Magnums on some online parts sites.
  • judescarjudescar Member Posts: 14
    Hi Shipo.....I totally agree with you. All I can say is: >>>> :lemon:
    I especially agree about the straight tracking.
  • harleyvetteharleyvette Member Posts: 2
    YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE YOUR DRIVEWAY IS FREE OF BUMPS...THIS CAR SITS REAL LOW..I HAVE SCRAPED GOING OVER SPEEDBUMPS (TO FAST!) I HAVE THE SXT RWD (UGLY RIMS TOO) AND IT WAS OK ON THE HIGHWAYS IN THE SNOW, BUT STARTED BULLDOZING IN FRESH UNPLOWED SNOW. THEN YOU WOULDN'T NEED A SNOW PLOW!!!
  • kowalskikowalski Member Posts: 94
    I own a c5 vette and only on the track has it been over 110 mph in 3rd gear of coarse..
    The magnum is a station wagon remember that is not a race car ,big motor or not ..

A tuning chip will help elimanate the govenor.
    The SRT 8 comming out is approx 40k + and gives 5mpg city 8-10 mpg highway if that ............... .
    It wont be out long and will fade from the market fast ..I hear 1 year in production if that ..
    Hypertech makes a tuner that will make the magnum fly !!
    Cost is approx 250.00 and will set firmer shift points, raise the rev limit ,and top end ..Keeping in mind its a station wagon I have no plans to beef up my Magnum Rt AWD thats what the vette is for..

Plus ever see some one beating a four door or a wagon it looks plain foolish ..
    Remember its a dodge how long will it last if its beat and put away wet?
    Not long I bet !!
  • 4bells4bells Member Posts: 5
    Anyone know what the BAS light on the right-hand instrument pod stands for? Mine's been coming on and I'm curious about it.

Of course I know there is a manual...but I don't have one...go figure.

E
    That's the stability control/ABS light.
    Ill be leaveing in the next month or so for a 4000 mile trip Michigan to Tampa,Key West, and back.Im most interested how the tires will hold up ..
    Ill keep all informed on how it goes and what I experienced. It should be a nice shake down now it has approx 2500 miles on the odometer..
    Cant wait actually knowing how comfortable this car is on the road add a lap top with dvd in the back seat, and it should be about a 7-8 movie ride,lol.Back in my day all we had was an etch a sketch ........
    All kidding aside I want to see accurate the MPG read out is verses actual MPG.
    I figure about 6 tanks of fuel (19 gallons) 12 tanks total of gas approx $500.00
    Well see the truth soon enough if the claims of good MPG hold up..

AWD seems to get at best 24 highway at 65 mph and no head wind..
    As promised to pass the time Ill log the trip and see if the numbers add up and if MPG improves soon.
    In my opinion it is not broken in as of yet. 5000 miles on the odometer then shes broken in ..

It will be a neat test the car will be running the whole trip except for gas stops ,well see if she developes those little gremlins and dash rattles.

I have had a few great dodges and they all eventually rattle ..
    I have noticed a rattle in the dash in the past few weeks only on rough surfaces it seems to comes and go ..
    Could be that snoop dog Cd that sounds so sweet in that system .The bass is impressive for a factory system ..I think I may be the cause of the rattle in the dash I do kick it up a bit at times.One thing that always amazes me is how good just the stock stereo sounds.. Im 43 years old and still know quality when I hear it..Not dead yet .

I still have not a sinlge real issue with this car it is a joy daily to drive ....
    I figure with the RT AWD Im lucky to get 16-18 mpg city and 23 Hgwy.

All paid for:
    All great cars reside in my 4 car garage but you know the magum is not at the top for no reason ..
    I couldnt have bought a better company car for the buck that doubles as a good family hauler too boot..

2005 magnum RT AWD
    2000 Corvette coupe(targa)
    2001 Eclipse GT
    1996 9c1 Caprice SS Impala( Mint ,bullet proof literally).
  • iminwoostahiminwoostah Member Posts: 4
    Awesome!

I actually just found out that an ex of my sister's, who we're all still friends with, is acquiring a dodge dealer this summer... if he cant get me the best deal on what i want, nobody can. i just hope there are better rebates in the fall - or end of year sales. it looks as though they've raised the price of the magnum a bit.

you answered my un-asked question about how it'd compare to a subaru.
    I can assure you this youll love the magnum from day one ..............

We drove the 300c and hated it, the ride was to dampered..Actually too floaty which can get you in a lot of trouble fast when driving on roads effected by winter conditions.We chose the magnum RT AWD hands down for its road feel the car felt more balanced,not to mention The 300c,s are a dime a dozen and look like my grandpas car.....
    For a few hundred bucks you can dress up the magnums interior with a dash kit that looks great ..

The subi is like a toy car next to the magnum .Not event close at all to the magnum in any area .American steel is the only way to go ...DC has really gotten thier act together,and Im happy to say Im very pleased..

Good luck Im sure youll get a great deal and a great car as we all have....
    Welcome to the world of real cars not some rice box..
    "The subi is like a toy car next to the magnum .Not event close at all to the magnum in any area .American steel is the only way to go..."

What are you talking about? The Subie is part recycled 1957 Cadillac, part recycled 1963 Ford Galaxy 500 and part recycled 1970 Chrysler Newport. Hmmm, sounds like "American Steel" if you ask me. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Errr, I thought the ;-) would indicate that I was joking. Subaru for me? No thanks. I haven't driven one, and have no desire to.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    LOl , I understand I missed that ..Its all good..
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Just got back from a road trip in the RWD Mag RT. 2200 miles from S.E. KS to/from Wyoming. Lots of high speed 80 MPH driving on I-80, I-25, & I-70. High altitude driving in the mountains too. Overall MPG average was 20.5, and the car was loaded very full with 4 passengers and luggage. I am very pleased with the overall mileage. Was more pleased with the handling, ride, and quiet of the Mag. Simply amazing. I drove 750 miles to Cheyenne, WY the first day and was not tired and worn out like I would have been with other cars. My wife kept asking if I needed her to drive and the answer was always no. What a great car. Only saw about 10 others the entire trip.
    Awsome,
    Sounds like you had a blast and yes it is nice not to see these cars out there to the degree you would see Grand ams etc........
    I was curious how a fully loaded Magnum would do on the MPG .
    What was your tire PSI??Fully loaded.

Amazing is the key word you used ,seems like Dodge has thier game together in a big way .......
    It is simply a great car isnt it ..........
  • hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    Last week on the highway a piece of wood flew into the rear door of my Cool Vanilla Magnum. There was a dent and a scratch down to the metal. I took it to a body shop around the corner and picked it up today. He said he was going to repaint the whole door. The dent is gone. However, the paint beneath the door handle looks wavery, not as smooth as the rest of the car. When I pointed that out he said that is normal and I need to bring it back next week in order for them to buff it. That would make it as smooth as the rest of the car. But the paint needs to harden first. Does that sound right or did I end up with a bad paint job?
    I ran 36 PSI in all 4 tires on the trip. One thing I forgot to mention is the power. I had more than plenty of power at all speed and altitude levels. The Hemi is just incredible. I was sure glad I had the Mopar front end bra on for the trip, as the dead bugs covered the windshield and bra front rather rapidly at 80 MPH. Considering how infrequently I had to stop for gas, where I could clean the windshield, it got pretty bad between fill ups. I finally broke out the windex and paper towels at the rest areas to keep the visibility at its best.
  • rtracerrtracer Member Posts: 6
    The BAS light is not the stability or antilock braking system. The BAS stands for "Brake Assist"
    This is seperate from antilock braking. The BAS system senses how quick and hard you slam on the brake pedal, as in en emergency braking situation, and gives the hydrolics and extra boost to help you stop.
    I'd take her into the dealership to have that looked at
    Question for anyone who has installed an aftermarket cold intake system...K&N ect..
    Any Hp gain...that you can feel?
    I heard they add some sound to the Mag..please describe..
    Thanks much
    Anyone added one of those Cat back exhaust systems..hows she sound.
    Man that info helps Ill have to get a bra asap ..
    Thankyou for the info ...

K
    Im running a drop in K & N it does very liitle from what I can see I get a little more low end grunt..
    The drop in suits me fine but its a preference.

My SS caprice 9c1 benifited from all the intake mods and lower temp theromsat it was an LT1 thought and it wanted to breath .. rotate the MAS about 80 degrees and take out the baffle filter ,That s all for an LT1 though not an hemi..
    May help abit on the hemi though...........

This magnum is as fast or faster than my 1996 Caprice SS 9c1.
    And that car was a monster when you punched it,it still had all the cop goodies on it too boot and was mintit had 45k on it and was a detectives car.
    The magnum filled its shoes nicely.

Im sure id you get rid of that stock air box youll get a few more ponies ..
    I bet youll off set the MPG a bit though soley because youll be wanting to hear that unreal sucking sound from the intake..
    If you do an filter system try to place it close to a corner of the front end.
    Youll get better air there instaed of right at the engine.

I have read that the intake nozzle is set right under the front bumper and it does suck water in so anything higher up in the engine comp will be a good thing.Keep in mind you dont want to do what most people do suck hot air from the engine into the intake youll actually decrease power..

Stay away from standing water with the Magnum go around it not thru it or youll find out the hard way ..

I looked at several systems and found it to be a waste of $ esspecially gas MPG with me stopping the pedal all the time.

Do your homework...............
    Each cylinder has an ignition coil pack over one spark plug, and a regular plug wire connected to the other spark plug. Further, the coil pack also has a plug wire attached to it that extends to the opposite cylinder bank. It appears that each cylinder shares a coil pack with another cylinder.

It appears that each of the two plugs on a given cylinder is fired by a separate coil. One plug has a coil directly attached, and the other is fired via an ignition wire connected to a coil located on another cylinder on the opposite bank. The benefits would be one-half the number of coils (8 vs. 16) compared to each plug having its own coil, and of course less weight. What I'm wondering is how is this scheme is implemented in terms of how/when the coils are fired. I can think of two possibilities. One is that the coils could contain two sets of windings that are insulated from each other and operate separately (one winding set for the plug directly underneath and another for the plug attached on the other bank). The other approach would be a coil with a single set of windings, and timing such that when the coil is firing a plug on the other bank, the cylinder under the coil would be on the exhaust stroke and that plug would fire also but with no effect.
  • altaholiconealtaholicone Member Posts: 25
    I found out that when asking for non-binding arbitration that my sales deal was done as an employee purchase by the dealer to get more money back from Chrysler. They did this without my knowledge. But it has the result of making only BINDING arbitration available to employee purchase people. And get this! I am NOT an employee of Dodge, Chrysler, or any of its affiliates. I am an accountant for a Real Estate place. At the time I bought the car I was UNEMPLOYED. This was done by Sundance Dodge in Boise, ID. So here it is, Chrysler has done nothing to help me customer serivce wise on a replacement. I cannot use Binding arbitration (we all know its rigged), and my only option is to sue in real court. Great customer service, huh? You might think twice about a Dodge. :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    Wow, that is really unethical!

We've been very pleased with our Magnum. I'd more likely steer clear of that dealership instead of DCX in general.
  • c5400hpc5400hp Member Posts: 11
    What did they find out when they check the oil and engine components?
    At first the dealer said it was rings and gave me a partially rebuilt engine. But it still smokes with no change. After going back to TS&S 3 times they said "take your car and we don't want it back" "we are through with it and won't work on it anymore" . So here I sit, a defective lemon that has numerous problems and smokes, no dealer to help me, no factory to help me, and no regional reps to help me. Every one of those mentioned have passed the buck, and/or said they can't help me. I can't use arbitration. Both the dealer in Bend and Boise have commited fraud. Who is going to help?
    :sick: :sick:
    Man , sounds like the same thing I went thru with my hot tub a Thermospas.
    I suggest The BBB and also the States attorney generals office will be able to assist you .
    The States attorneys office will step in asap ..I assure you of that .
    I know what your going thru to some degree and it is very disturbing when you get the run around like you did.
    I feel some dealers do the ole run around to get your temper up so to refuse you service,like I stated Thermospas did just that to me on a 10,000 tub.
    I couldnt take the run around after the 35th call and just blew! they wanted that so to refuse any service etc.
    I got the attorney generals office on it and they are all over them as we speak .
    I have seen nothing yet from either party but knowing the law is working for me somewhat of a comfort .
    Call them get the forms fill them out and get thing going with the Better business bureau also ..

Call DC customer service # dont give up talk to and record every name of every person you speak with and what date and time helps also ..
    Keep a log of issues and all records for the states attorney .
    Is there a lemon law in your state?
    Man I can understand your grief and I hope some of this info helps.
    keep me informed..
    Does your state have a lemon law?
    Both Oregon and Idaho have lemon laws. Since the arbitration panel will not let me have non-binding arbitration, my only option is to sue. :sick:
  • exfordmanexfordman Member Posts: 9
    Hey all...Doing a little survey here
    Just was curious what people paid for their Magnum RT's, and what area in the country did you buy it.
    I'm interested in the agreed upon price, not including tax and License.
    Just the price including the stupid destination charge.
    Thanks
    I went to a local dodge dealership yesterday, and couldnt help but notice how much better the R/T badge on the back of the 06's is compared to the 05's..
    I was also happy to find that I do not like the Charger as much as my magnum
    Peace
    I paid $26,500 for my base R/T. Only option was the Inferno Red. I live in the SF bay area
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Hi, You can do a better job than almost any attorney by using the following resources. Use a legal typing service (secretarial service) for all your legal papers.
    Get a copy of your local court rules.
    Erwin Rommel School of Law members.aol.com/rommellaw
    * Making & Meeting Objections book
    * Brown's Lawsuit Cookbook
    * The Trial Book
    * Ten Sample Pleadings
    * 1997 Charlotte, North Carolina Video Seminar
    thru a regular bookstore order Nolo's "How to do Legal Research". Anybody can do it with these resources. Good luck.
    In a case as complex as taking on a giant multinational corporation to get it to buy back your car via your state's lemon law or any other law, the owner who represents himself/herself has a fool for a client. Besides, most lemon laws provide for the company to pay the owner's attorney fees if he/she is successful.
    paid 33400 Rt AWD loaded .Except nav,trailer group and roof rack ....
    Thats with tax out the door.
    What part of the country?
    Chicago Southside .
    Agreed , Ill try to get that badge for my magnum .It should be a stick on .

The Mag beats the charger in looks in many ways.I diggin mine every day its like the most comfortable car I could get for 33k.
    Cant wait for winter to see how the awd is.I did some off roading on a two track it was awsome.Good clearance too ran down a couple of small trees not a smudge on the front spoiler.
    Good sturdy family hauler.Fast when needed.

Im happy I got the 05 the 06s have no 7/70.Only 3/36.

I know theyll have more dash kit options soon for us after market people.
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    Paid 31k out the door for RT (2wd,no nav, roof rack, or trailer pkg.) in the MA area. For the money this is really a great car and it cruises the highways with ease. I have only had it for a week and have over 1k miles on it. I did not buy it for the gas mileage but the first tank was over 21 mpg. Will be loading up the family next week for a 12 hour one way trip to Williamsburg VA... should be fun.
    Hi all--

A few weeks back some posted a link to a site that covered activating the auto-on/wiper-on lighting feature in Magnums with the dual A/C controls and on how to reset the electronic throttle.

Although I only have the 2.7L V-6, the throttle reset worked. Perked it right up.

Thanks all...now if only I could figure out how to get daytime headlights it would be grand.

BTW...it's an '05 Minerla Gray SE purchased in Kansas with 19000 on it. I was out on the 15 here in CA making 80-85 mph with out difficultly. The kids love it!

Ed
    Glad to hear it worked for you.
  • exfordmanexfordman Member Posts: 9
    What this about resetting the throttle???? Does this make it more responsive??
    OOOhhhhh sounds like something I'd dig..
    Please inform me
    Thanks
    Brian
    Was at a street light the other day...some kid in a 2000-2004 ford Mustang GT pulled up next to me and started reving the hell out of his engine..definetely a challange to my RT..At first I said to myself " let it go Brian..your too old for this [non-permissible content removed]", then I thought ahh hell why not. When the light turned green he was already half a car lenght ahead of me because of he had a stick and he was rocking back and forth waiting for the green.
    When it turned green I punched it...Within 100 feet I was ahead of him and was able to get in front of him in his lane by 200 feet..
    Basically these RT's are Mustang Killers...Dont know about the new 300hp 05's though
    Poor kid must have felt like an idiot getting smoked by a wagon!
    I'll have to look back through the posts and find the link for you.

Ed
    I found the instructions for reseting throttle response.

1 Pull off road shut off car
    2 turn key to the on position (dont dtart car ) and wait for idiot lights to go off
    3 press down accelerator and let it back up do this quickly.
    4 turn ignition off pull key out.
    5 Re statrt your car and drive to see if it is effected.

6 depebding on how fast or slow you do step 3 ,your throttle will become more or less responsive.

It worked on my car after breaking it in like a grandma I did this and the car reset and throttle become more responsive.

I drive an RT AWD
    Layout front-engine / rear-wheel-drive
    Drag Coefficient [cd] 0.35 0.34
    Curb Weight [lb (kg)] 4046 (1836) 3767 (1710)
    Weight Distribution [%f / r] 54 / 46 53 / 47
    Trunk Space [cu ft.] 15.6

Overall Length [in. (mm)] 196.8 (4999)
    Overall Width [in. (mm)] 74.1 (1881)
    Overall Height [in. (mm)] 58.4 (1483)
    Wheelbase [in. (mm)] 120.0 (3048)
    Track Front [in. (mm)] 63.0 (1600)
    Track Rear [in. (mm)] 63.1 (1603)

Steering Rack & Pinion; power-assisted
    Turning Radius [ft. (m)] 19.5 (6.1)
    Tires front 225/60 R18 215/65 R17
    Tires rear 225/60 R18 215/65 R17

Engine

Type V8; cast iron block
    and aluminum heads V6; aluminum block and heads
    Valvetrain OHV 2-valve/cyl. SOHC 4-valve/cyl.
    Displacement [cc] 5654 3518
    Bore & Stroke [mm] 99.5 x 90.9 96.0 x 81.0
    Compression Ratio 9.6:1 9.9:1
    Redline [rpm] 5800 6800

Max. Power [Bhp at rpm] 340 at 5000 250 at 6400
    Max. Torque [lb-ft (Nm) at rpm] 390 (525) at 4000 250 (340) at 3800
    Bhp/Liter 59.6 70.0

Accommodation

Seating Capacity 5
    Front Head Room [in. (mm)] 38.7 (983)
    Front Leg Room [in. (mm)] 41.8 (1061)
    Rear Head Room [in. (mm)] 38.0 (965)
    Rear Leg Room [in. (mm)] 40.2 (1020)

Interior Noise

Idle in neutral [dBA] 45
    70 mph coasting [dBA] 69

Gear Ratios

1st 3.59:1 2.84:1
    2nd 2.19:1 1.57:1
    3rd 1.41:1 1.00:1
    4th 1.00:1 0.69:1
    5th 0.83:1 NA
    Final drive 2.82:1 3.64:1

Suspension

Front Independent; upper A-arm, lateral and diagonal lower links, coil springs, anti-roll bar
    Rear Multilink; coil springs (anti-roll bar for 300C)

Braking

Front - Brakes 13.6 in. (345 mm)
    ventilated discs 12.6 in. (320 mm)
    ventilated discs
    Rear - Brakes 12.6 in. (320 mm)
    ventilated discs 12.6 in. (320 mm)
    solid discs
    70 - 0 mph [ft (m)] 184 (57.2) NA
    60 - 0 mph [ft (m)] 126 (39.2) 133 (41.3)

Performance*

0 - 60 mph [secs] 5.3 8.0
    0 - 100 mph [secs] 13.4 22.3
    1/4 mile [secs at mph] 13.9 at 102.0 16.1 at 87.2

Top Speed [mph] 130
    Lateral acceleration [g] 0.79 0.75

Fuel Economy [City/Hwy in mpg] 17 / 25 19 / 27
    Thanks for the info on the throttle thing...will try out, as I too have been babying her...most of the time.
    Where did you get your performance numbers...is your Mag. modified?
    0-60 in 5.3 & 1/4 mile @ 13.4 ????
    Dodge says something like 6.3 and 14 secs
    I like your numbers though
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The subject here is the Dodge Magnum. How these forums are moderated is not a topic for discussion on the boards. If you wish to discuss forum policy, feel free to click on my username and I'll be happy to discuss it in email.

Off topic posts are simply going to be taken down.

Thank you for your cooperation and participation.

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Has anyone successfully put three (3) car seats across in their Magnum?
    yup...though it was tight and probably not very safe (did a test fit).

Worked better with two standard car seats and a booster chair.

Ed
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Thanks Ed.