Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum

a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
So, some info is starting to leak out on the upcoming big RWD Chryslers. A few years ago, "upcoming big RWD Chryslers" is not a phrase I thought I would ever utter again! Here are some drawings which are allegedly confirmed by DCX sources to be very close to the production versions:

Chrysler 300:

http://www.car-truck.com/image/chryed/buzz/300hemi4.jpg

Dodge Magnum:

http://www.car-truck.com/image/chryed/buzz/magmax4.jpg

It's not clear whether these will be offered as 2004, 2004.5 or 2005 models. Both will be on the new RWD LX-body platform. I have no information on pricing, but I'll wager the 300 comes in the $27-35K range. No idea at all on the Magnum; I'm a bit confused about where they are going to position that vehicle in the Dodge lineup.

As you can see, information about specs and pricing is spotty at best right now. But what do you think of the proposed styling? I really love the 300. I hope it looks just like the drawing, but with a slightly higher roofline and more reasonably sized wheels. I'm thinking of Photoshopping a '70s-Chevy-style slim chrome bumper onto the front of it...I think it would fit in perfectly with the styling, and provide some practical protection to boot (and a place to mount the front plate!).

The Magnum I'm not so hot about. The roofline is just way too low, and recent spy photos indicate that it's going to stay that way. The front end is nothing to sing about, either. It doesn't look very practical for a wagon. I like the Pacifica (which is NOT LX-body based) styling and layout better.

-Andrew L

Comments

• bmorisettebmorisette Member Posts: 21
    I don't really know what all the fuss over a station wagon is. The only people I can picture getting really excited are funeral home directors who want to replace their aging Chevy Caprice hearses. The idea that gets my attention is the convertible version of the 300N that is on the drawing boards. The concept car for this debuted in '99 I think and I've been drooling over it ever since. From what I've heard, it's going to be hitting production in 2005. I can hardly wait.

Here's the link for more info:

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b020502.htm

• corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    I saw some spy shots in the most recent Car and Driver of the new Magnum/300. The magazine said that the car appeared to be rear wheel drive. However, they had a pretty clear picture of the rear underbody of the car. Didn't the photographer bother to check for a rear differential?
  • yositoyosito Member Posts: 55
    C-T publishes very interesting articles, they are doing a very good job, but sometimes they publish articles that are not true, once they published that the Liberty wasn´t capable for the Rubicom, and so on. So we better wait to see and read the official press releases from DC.
  • alahirialahiri Member Posts: 17
    Will 300N really offer a Benz at Chrysler price? Or, will the same quality issues and poor resale value persist?
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Still, as things stand, the 300 Hemi C convertible concept car that came out 2 years ago WILL NOT be produced, and these new cars are not related to that vehicle as far as any styling goes. There's only a very small chance that in a few years, a version of that convertible may be produced alongside the Viper at its factory. Otherwise, don't get your hopes up. Here are more of the latest links that give more information, such that:

-The 300 will come in 2 models, the Concorde replacement will carry the "300" badge, and the 300M replacement will have the "300N" moniker. The "C" being talked about just a few weeks ago has apparently been dropped.

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b122302.htm

-The 300's will be the first out, in the first half of 2004. The Dodge's will follow, later that year and into the next year. The "Magnum" wagon will come out after the 300's, rear drive first, and then with an AWD option. The Dodge sedan will be the last to show, because it was originally supposed to be the Super 8 Hemi concept car, but it got horrible response at the auto shows, so DC started the design from scratch. It now apparently resembles the Charger concept from a few years back, and may be badged the "Charger" or remain the "Intrepid".

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b121902.htm

These are two more links, Part I & Part II pertaining to the LX's:

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b120202.htm

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b120302.htm

And, another link that shows both a large side and complete front view of the steel blue Dodge Magnum wagon completely uncovered, resides here:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5577&n=156,178&sid=178

I try to stay up with the latest, so I hope these links help.

• caneaucaneau Member Posts: 14
    In the automotive world, there is a spectrum of 3 primary vehicles: Sedans, Trucks, and Sports Cars. Every mass produced car ever made has taken the role of one or more of these three basic automotive concepts. With the new breeds of cross overs that we have seen recently, all three of these characteristics are combined to make some fairly nice (think Murano) cars to some pretty... different and unique designs (asking you to think "Aztek" may be considered cruel and unusual punishment). Either way though, most of the new "SUV's" being produced today, the new VW Tou-whatever, the Volvo XC90, etc. are light-medium duty unibodies (don't forget Jeeps are unibodies) with fully independent suspensions that pride themselves in "car-like" rides. Let's see, sedan-like vehicles that can have four doors, one large compartment for the cockpit, rear seats, and trunk, and make them family friendly, hmm, that reminds me of something...a station wagon!
    For years, car "experts" have been reporting that the next logical step in the automotive industry will be the station wagon. SUV's have gotten "civilized" to the point where they nearly are station wagons with a bigger wheels and a suspension lift. A new Murano with a smooth and shiftless CVT, silky VQ series engine, and independent suspension is a far cry from my Jeep Cherokee. The biggest problem that station wagons have been having in the states (they're huge in Europe), is their house mommy image. In a world where we stress equality, the station wagon concept comes with its own stereotype.
    What Dodge has done with the Magnum is simply given people a reason to buy station wagons. I'll speak for myself on this, I don't really need all the capabilities of my Jeep and in terms of handling, fuel economy, and performance, a sedan is far more practical. I still need to be able to throw my tools, a couple hundred feet of cabling, and my shopping in the back though or fold the seats down and carry my skis. Also, having power to all four wheels has saved me numerous times from having to call AAA. Most people that I have talked to have a similar mentality: they want a car that performs well on the road yet is flexible enough to act as a work truck, a toy, and, get unstuck if you accidentally drive into some mud. Taking that purpose of an SUV, Dodge has simply added more sports car (Hemi) and truck (AWD) to a vehicle that already accomplished this goal.
    So what is the hardest thing that Dodge has to do to get people to buy this vehicle? Keep away from the "Station Wagon" image at all costs. This is car has great potential to be the coolest thing with 5 doors since the 427 Impala. It's fast. It looks good. It's practical. What else could you ask for?
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    caneau-

I think you're right about how SUVs and sedans are kind of converging on this sport-wagon type vehicle. But I must say, I'm not so sure that the Magnum will be a big sales success. I'm sure it will be a great car, and will attract lots of middle-age muscle car fans who like the RWD and the big engine options, but it doesn't seem like a wise choice as a family vehicle. The low roof with small windows does not bode well for cargo capacity and kid-friendliness.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Magnum per se, but simply that it's not going to be a volume leader, and I fear that too many of Chrysler Group's future products fall into that category: cool niche cars that will only sell in moderate numbers. If Chrysler Group wants to keep from losing the 3rd-place sales spot to Toyota, they need to do something that really reinvents the mainstream family vehicle, like they did with the minivans in 1984. The Pacifica isn't it -- too expensive. The Magnum isn't it -- too quirky.

I think what they should have done was not restrict the Pacifica to the $30K-plus market. They should have made a whole range of versions covering a huge spectrum of price and equipment, with all sorts of available options. If they played their cards right, I think something like that would have a chance of upstaging the minivans and becoming a sales home run. The Pacifica should be a good vehicle as-is, but by placing it in a narrow slot of the market ($31-37K range), they are missing a huge opportunity.

-Andrew L
  • qualityguyqualityguy Member Posts: 101
    Have to deal with cops/DOC a lot - workout and train with them in martial arts - they all hate the smaller FWD cars they have to drive now. Besides being not small, these guys have to carry a lot of stuff on themselves, plus there is additionally huge amount of (electronic) equipment being put now in the car + there is, it looks like in-born international incompartability of cops and FWD. A lot of deparments will switch from current Impala to Magnum by the first opportunity. This is quite a large market. And, it looks like cops now are willing to pay - the only alernative to Magnum now is the much more expensive and much worse handling Tahoe. And, last, but not the least - 5.7 engine - the real reason - they are the car guys too, armed with taxpayers money. I wouldn't worry for sales of this staion wagon.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    I am a regional sales manager and fortunately, I live in the middle of my territory so all major cities are within 300 miles. This means driving is always more convenient (not to mention pleasant) than flying. I currently drive a 300M about 20-25,000 miles per year. The M is a wonderful "traveling salesman" vehicle. Loads of room: great 'big-man' driver's space; plenty of room for four large adults for the inevitable trip to lunch or dinner; big trunk for samples, giveaways and all the other junk you love to travel with. On top of all that, the M is a great balance between performance and economy. 27mpg is not unusual for steady-state interstate travel and the 250 hp is plenty of grunt for all but boy-racer situations. The perfect car right? Well, the Magnum promises more of everything above plus the option of weighting performance more heavily with the hemi. I don't really care what everybody decides to call it, but it certainly is no "station wagon" in the traditional sense. There is no third seat. The interior is designed for plenty of room for four adults plus luggage and golf clubs. This is the perfect 'executive express' for the quick trip to Kohler for a couple of days of golf, or a weekend at Daytona with your buddies. I have a rep who has a Saab 9-5 wagon which has a lot of this utility, but none of the excitement. The Magnum will outsell the M which averages about 2500/month because it will appeal to a wider audience. I've been awaiting the LX 300 but I'm afraid the Mag may have stolen its thunder. This is one gorgeous design. I love the Ramness of the front end. The chop-top roofline is starting to show up on many of the newest vehicles like the Toyota Matrix, so my eye is getting used to it, and not really associating this visual cue with "station wagon". Of course, the proof will come with a test drive. I'm anticipating a big grin as I slip into the leather driver's seat and tromp on that hot V-8. Let's just hope DC brings at least a hot sport version to market immediately (I don't hold much hope that they'll actually build the SRT-8).
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    They built the srt-4 (neon) and srt-10 (Ram pick-up) , why wouldnt they build the srt-8.
  • chryslerguychryslerguy Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone seen pictures of the next 300N, not the 300 LX or "New Yorker" If that is what it will be called?
  • algie_fawkesalgie_fawkes Member Posts: 14
    Please...in the face of recent news, please don't say that Chrysler is any less reliable than Mercedes. Yes, I am perfectly sane. CR rated Chrysler equal to BMW and ABOVE Mercedes in reliability this year. And from reliable sources I have heard that dealers are complaining that they aren't getting enough warranty work. Face it--Chrysler is doing better. They even got a quality control guy from Toyota, the industry leader in reliability. Why did he leave Toyota? Because he wanted to work for a company that did exciting things...and that's what we will expect from Chrysler.

by the way, you can go to the Allpar forums at www.allpar.com, where I am known as "eaglecars." They have a news & rumors forum that's pretty active.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    http://www.car-truck.com now has a [rather poor] undisguised pic of a Chrysler LX-body sedan. It looks pretty good, in my opinion, though it's a very radical departure from the Concorde and 300M. I'll be interested to see some more pics when the official ones come out.

-Andrew L
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Obviously targeted at a different market than the current car. Thanks, but no thanks - I'm not into "bricks" with wheels. Time to start the hunt for a new brand of vehicle.
    I have to agree. I love the new brick car for what it is, but I would want a sleeker, cab-forward car for myself. At least something that is an evolution of the 300M. But, don't gripe yet...there are more designs on the way. anyhow, the April autoshow should have some new stuff for us to see.
    So what? I believe they have rated Hyundai and Honda the same also...
    I know what Chrysler is trying to do, I just think they went way too far with it.

They are trying to recapture the unique American look in a contempory car but they've overshot the mark. Their glass ratio is too low. The Magnum has potential but needs to be smoothed out and slimmed up some. They need to shoot for the mid 60's proportions, not the mid-late 50's they pursued.
    You haven't even seen the vehicles yet. The Magnum will definitely get "smoothed out" just like all concepts do on their way to production. The last issue of C&D has a great article on the Crossfire's evolution from concept to production. Even though the theme of the article was how little it changed, it still changed a lot. The Magnum will be fantastic. No one has seen enough of the new 300 to tell anything.
    The direction is obvious.

Yes, I read the Magnum is something like 89% of what the production vehicle will look like. The C&D article on it was less than convincing stating that clinic participants described it as "tanklike".
    I also know that in recent years Chrysler production cars vary little from their "concepts" too.
    The production Crossfire is different from the concept to be sure, but then again it's nothing more than an MB CLK in Chrysler clothes. It's rear end styling has already been compared to a 60's AMC Marlin.

There are some things that simply will not change because of structural considerations and production lead times, the glass ratio is one of them. The doors ARE going to be tall and the glass short.

As for seeing the LX or not seeing the LX that's not relevant. I know what I've seen so far, I know what I like and what I don't like.

I don't care for the direction DC is taking with the LX based on the samples revealed so far. I've also explained why I don't. Will my opinion change anything? Nope, and I don't expect it will. But I will express it none the less. If you agree OK. If you disagree that's your privilege too.

The ultimate decision will be in the market place regardless of anyones opinion.
    then I guess there's no point in you following this board any longer.
    Indy,

You do seem to have a pattern of telling people who disagree with you to get lost, subtly or not so subtly. I've noticed that on the 300M board too.

These boards are here for discussion of a subject, good, bad, or indifferent. If you can't deal with that then perhaps you should consider seeking out a board that better fits your beliefs.
    haha, yes, well, I usually try not to offend people on boards. Not too much, at least. :)

I am very excited about the return of the HEMI. I was browsing auto review this morning, and I read one on the 300M. They wished it had an engine like the ol' V8 HEMI, they said, although the current engine was good enough. Well, looks like they will get their wish.

As for the styling, I maintain that the brick car looks classy and would be a great New Yorker, but I personally would likely want a sleeker LX...called the 300N. Now, I don't know what they will actually build. The plan a while ago was to build both the "brick" and the 300M-like N. however, I don't know now whether there will be a sleek version or not.
    Where I'm coming from is that there are a lot of current customers that won't embrace this style (me being one). If DC expects to increase market share they won't get there trading customer bases. They'll get there by keeping the customers they have and adding to that.

So that raises the fair question of what, if anything, are they going to offer that appeals to the existing base.

I happen to own two DC products, a 300M and Grand Cherokee and I really like both these vehicles. But so far I'm not seeing anything in the LX line that I can plunk my money down for and that's disappointing to me as a current customer. Maybe something will come out of New York.

Brampton Plant employees who are members here have said there will be 7 LX based products. We've seen 2 1/2 (Magnum, Airflite, 1/2 of an unnamed LX) so far so there is more yet to come.
    Perhaps some of those will go a different way.
    I could care less whether or not you agree with me that the upcoming LX "future vehicles" will be exciting, class leading vehicles. I do assume that anyone visiting a "future vehicles" board would have some enthusiasm for the vehicle. You simply stated that you had seen enough to be turned off so I'm simply encouraging you to find a board you can be enthusiastic about. At least you own DC which is more than can be said about the many trolls looking to smear DC in any public forum. Is it just DC that attracts the naysayers? I really don't know what happens on the Honda boards, because I could care less, so, guess what, I don't go there.
    Your view on the point of these boards is narrow to say the least.

Did it ever occurred to you that DC observers might just be checking around here to get feedback, good and bad, from customers to assess the customer mood and get a reality check?

Guess what, the world isn't all sweetness and light. Unless customers express an honest opinion about things like style, quality, and content we won't get what we seek.

The 300N is the follow on to the 300M I drive today. So I'm qualified to voice a commentary on the 300N - which happens to be thumbs down - if the LX we've seen represents the 300N.

If you don't care about my opinion why do you feel compelled to comment?
    Though everybody is entitled to own opinion, regardless of how extreme it is, we should be courteous enough to everybody on the forum. Opposite opinions are good, since they might open certain sides of reality a person for whatever reason didn't pay appropriate attention to. This way, we should be open - and helpfull to each other - 'cuz, as per Wisnot Churchill, voice is raised only when there is lack of arguments. And I guess, everybody can see a lot of toughness shown every day on TV. All I am saying, is give peace a chance.
  • dmauly2kdmauly2k Member Posts: 6
    Looks similar to the Dodge Magnum and Chrysler Crossfire. Rumour has it that this will be at the New York International Auto Show

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com/chrysler/chrysler.html#300
    In the immortal words of Jar Jar Binks: Pee yousa!

Exciting? Class leading? I think similar words were used to describe the Edsel.

Lutz would have taken one look at this and said: What else have you got to show me? It would never have seen the light of day on his watch. Tom Gale is either laughing his [non-permissible content removed] off or crying, I'm not sure which.
  • hawkpa25hawkpa25 Member Posts: 1
    I just saw the Chrysler 300 concept for the first time today and in my opinion, its stunning. A complete departure for sure from my 2001 LHS in every way. This car is beautiful. Chrysler has a created an elegant and sophisticated entry into the near lux category. As God is my witness, there will be one in my driveway.
    elegant and sophisticated is sort of a stretch, but different from anything cab-forward built up to now, and retro-cool. elegant and sophisticated design was it up to now. it's not bettet or worth - it's different. and change is good.
  • argentargent Member Posts: 176
    I'd like the 300C concept car a lot more --stylistically, at any rate -- if it were a two-door hardtop rather than a pillared sedan. It's odd that the pillarless hardtop, that quintessentially American body style, survives today only on high-end German coupes. I could do without a revival of fins or the fake Continental spare tire (the infamous "toilet seat" decklid) of the late 50s Chrysler 300s, but a hardtop would've been nice.

See:
  • mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    IMO, Chrysler's new design direction is a disaster. The slit windows and tanklike looks lack any elegance or style. I'm not sure RWD is gonna make it either in family cars for Midwesterners. The MB guys just don't "get it," doing THEIR thing with Chrysler instead of OURS.
  • rusty104rusty104 Member Posts: 39
    Before computerized controls on the drive wheels I didn't like rwd either, but with todays technology I prefer the rwd. I think DC does get it and has gotten it. How many luxury cars are fwd? Lexus, BMW, Rolls, Jag and so on. I live in the Northeast and would welcome a Magnum or a 300C.
    then you better be man enough to handle a RWD vehicle. The LX line will be very successful for DC and will usher in a new golden era for Chrysler and Dodge CARS. Doesn't everyone see that the minivan is dying? And as Trevor Creed so adroitly observed, "What comes after the SUV?"
    Although I know that styling is a personal thing (witness the highly successful PT Cruiser which some people hate) I like the DC upcomming offerings. I also like Ford's Jag but am unimpressed with their domestic cars which seem to have taken their styling cues from a suppository. I think that GM is off the track with its Robocop inspired designs for some of the new Caddys and Pickups and as for the back ends of the Buick Rendezous and its Pontiac stablemate, both make me feel like I've just been mooned by a 400 lb lady. GM seems most happy with the design of it's snorific Saturn which it proudly compares on TV ads with a bunch of cardboard boxes.
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    M-da, design is kind of, strange... I have problem to believe, that the car will be run-away success due to it's looks only. May be, overal value and performance will help, but I liked the cab-forward thing better.
    RWD - as former top-of-the-line Lincoln LS owner I can say - gadgets help, but only so much. I remember the drive in CT, in icy rain, with the road covered with ice - if not for a little snow on the side of the road, I would have ended up on a few occasion the the whatever Hell is the name of that river in Trumbull's vicinity... Powerfull engine + RWD = don't drive on ice. On the other hand, can say, that my Subaru on ice is the same nightmare to drive. But, how many days like these do we have a year?
    Good DC design/bad GM design - problem with GM is they only go half-way. If you do something, be bold in it's presentation. GM, in my opinion, should get rid of 75% top & some line management, cut workforce in half and get rid of UAW (I just love driving on a bridge, which has 2 lanes closed for last 5 years, on the only line open has a pothole on a pothole, and read the sign "Union Job" and "Your Taxes at Work" - and all that after 2 hours of a traffic jam) - but coming back to GM - and be organization of loosesy connected car manufacturing companies; the GM engineers have designed many brilliant car, but their unbeliveably ignorant management will choose Atztec over common sence and everything else. The problem with Caddilac - it goes only half-way to MB or RR design - while you have to be better to make people to talk about you and desire your product; not just alike, but better. Hope somebody from GM reads this.
    On the other hand, whatever Dodge does - they take it all the way. I like this. Hope execution will be on par with the look.
    Saturn comparison - that's mean - you shouldn't make fun of sick and weak and impared and challenged in every respect. That's mean, bro...
  • stifflers_momstifflers_mom Member Posts: 1
    I live up here in the fridgid northern Minnesota and lucky me chrysler hasthere testing grounds headquarters just 60 miles away, theri daily rout for all the future cars drives right by my house so i get a chance to look at all these covered wagons and what not when they happen to drive by next time i'll snap a pic and see if you guys can figure it out what it is im assuming the new 300N and i doesnt look anything like the previouse post so sit tight gentelmen
    was a few hour ago in NY autoshow. Saw Chrysler 300. Lady introducing the car - in her late 40ith; dressed in black pants and glittering blouse; paints stained with some white stuff on the left hip, blouse - you wouldn't believe that but it has a lot of holes on the back - the lady looks like a worthy companion of Joe Dirt from the movie with the same name (who doesn't believe me - show is still open tomorrow). And ... whatever; let the lady be. The fact, that she was as friendly as a rattle snake, when you step on it's tail (folks from south will appreciate this one) is the worst impression. The car - 300 looks good. when some watsh video, they might assume they see a Rolls; it isn't; but it's cool. It is smaller, and it looks better tha any RWD offerings from Ford - though 427 is a very good looking car. It (300) definitely looks as better choice than Magnum, which is small, extremely low (rear sear must be a killer). BUT: Nissan Maxima will be very strong competition - similar in size and performance; better quality. These are my impressions so far; am really pissed with DC people. By the way, on www.motortrend.com you can see 300 video; again, car appears bigger, than it is, but still looks good. Will post some more making sence info tomorrow.
    Thanks for the update fsv, I agree the Maxima is
    a great car. Hopefully DC will tackle quality control with the new 300 and Magnum. I guess DC will be putting a mix of proven Mercedes parts in the new ones; they have got to know that quality is what everyone wants now. The size is about what the LS430 and the BMW 745 are except the DC ones have a bigger wheelbase. As for performance if they put the 345 hp 375 torque hemi in them then the Maxima will certainly be outgunned for acceleration.
  • stormdavystormdavy Member Posts: 80
    Recent article on FWD vs. RWD by Mickey Kaus in Slate magazine's "gearbox" column claims new Maxima exhibiting extreme torque steer problems (http://www.slate.msn.com/id/2081194).
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    first this dude has a chip on his shoulder against torque steer (that's why he wrote the article)

also he did not experience Maxima's torque steer for himself. He writes "otherwise appealing new front-drive Maxima is said to be plagued by big-time, uninhibited torque steer" -- that's what he heard.
    It is better to have torque steer than not - it means, your car has some ponies...
    And then, how the sliding oud rear end is better than torque steer? Just asking.
    And, guys, let's have conversation based on experience - what's the point of repeating stories read somewhere?
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    As a regular member of the Intrepid board--I've enjoyed reading the discussion here. I'm reasonably close to NYC, so took in the Auto Show two weeks ago. I'll confess that I viewed the sketches of the upcoming LH replacements with concern at (dearly departed?) car-truck.com. Truth is the Magnum and 300N look much better in person. Guess I'm wondering what the actual Intrepid replacement will look like--as I assume the Magnum is the "wagon/SUV" version of the Intrepid. Perhaps envisioning the 300N "back" on the Magnum's "front" will be close.
         I'm an unapologetic lover of cab-forward and still am. The first gen Intrepid is aging well--let alone the second gen which I own. I bought the car for affordability, SPACE, handling, aesthetics and (yes) front wheel drive. I hope the majority of these attributes aren't lost in the translation..
    I hope that you love Intrepids tranny too...
    As a matter of fact I DO enjoy the autostick in my Intrepid. I just wish it were a 5 speed instead.. I also assume you're referencing the supposed "transmission" issue that befalls Chrysler products but is largely an "urban myth"....
    Ha-ha!!! This "myth" is waiting to come upon you... I owned '95 Intrepid, and a friend of mine - 96, similar mileage; same things were happening to me and him within a week or so; after spending $8G's in repairs in 2 years, I realized, that my interaction with the car was like chess - were white figures start - and win; Intrepid had white figures. So, I donated it, and friend of mine sold his car to some unlucky [non-permissible content removed]. My phlegmatic ex-boss was spreading sparks, when talking about her Intrepid - she's got her car REPLACED, so many time it was in the shop while still on warranty. BTW, is A/C still alive? What about intake manifold? Differentials? Starter? Alternator? Fuel leak from fuel injector rails? All that happened to me, and might sound very familiar to you - unless your car is very young. Also, check out Intrepid chat - there WILL be some info on a/m problems. Just search the discussion for "bad tranny" or similar... But again, just wait - I drove the car, btw, for 2 years without a problem, and then - avalanche...
    Interesting speculation about the LX Intrepid. I agree with you that the current Intrepid is one of the finest looking four door sedans ever built. It is certainly the most handsome DC product on the street. I have always been puzzled that it did not sell better. The 300M board is in an uproar over the departure in styling with the 300C (although I personally think it handsome in its own right). Obviously, the LX -I has to be as radically different as the C is from the M. It will be interesting to see if Intrepid owners feel "betrayed" the way many M owners claim to be. For me, I simply want to own a powerful V-8 sedan before they're outlawed. I want comfort and luxury for four adults (sorry, kids), with room for luggage and golf clubs and a ballsy, torquey, 350 ft/lbs++ V-8 that "gets rubber" anytime you put your foot down. Oh yeah, it also has the suspension and tires to corner like a sports car, with handling so neutral it slides all four wheels at the same time with easily induced throttle oversteer. Nostalgia? That's my version.
    the new 300 is OK, but, what will the pricing be? If same as for current Intrepid, many will be tempted, but somehow I suspect, they are growing Lincoln LS competition - so, fully loaded it will be in 40th - my LS wa 42G's BTW, fully loaded. A real nice car, btw, pretty much one thing that drove me crazy, was lack of glove compartment (CD changer was there) and door pockets were real small. There is no way, the new loaded 300 will be under 40G's - but if it will, 300 will compete with Mercedes products.
    Also, it looks like the new hybrid or what ever engines will be real powerfull real soon - may be departure of Internal Combustion Engine will not be such a tragedy after all.
    My 2000 ES will turn "4" in November, has 59K miles and no transmission problems. In my immediate family with have two first gen Intrepids--a 1993 ES with over 100K and NO transmission problems and my mother's 1994 ES with just 45K and, likewise, no transmission problems. In fact, both first gen. Intrepids have had NO significant problems beyond recalls to the fuel rails on the 3.5 and normal maintenance.
        Again...once we get past the URBAN MYTH of tranny problems--and beyond the subtle "fibs" told by Consumer Reports--who now have begrudgingly put the Intrepid on their "Recommended" list--we find both the first and second genrations Intrepids faring EXTREMELY well on MSN's used car reports.. A report, incidentally, which is much more balanced than CR's. Seems every few months, someone on these boards has to be educated about this...
  • neonsxt2002neonsxt2002 Member Posts: 1
    fsv has a very good point. Seems as if the 300C will be a competitor to the Lincoln LS V-8. But DC can't price it over $40K as that is into Mercedes C-class, almost E-class territory. Personally, I feel if they price the 300C in the low 30's they would sell trainloads of them.