Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• mbatchelormbatchelor Member Posts: 27
    I'm also looking at the Magnum for my wife. Finally a car maker that makes a bold statement and it's a station wagon!
     I too had a issue with Mopar quality but after owning a '03 Dodge Ram 2500 QC with the Cummins for over a year now it's been flawless.
     One question, what's the fuel requirement for the 3.5L V6 and the Hemi? I hope either one can reliable run on regular unleaded.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    for the 3.5l and hemi 89 octane is preferred...but 87 is also acceptable. using 87 will cause a very slight decrease in performance but won't cause any longevity/reliability issues...
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Might it make sense to change this to just "Dodge Magnum" Vs "2005 Dodge Magnum"? And can there be a "Dodge Magnum: Prices Paid and Buying Experience" added? I couldn't find one if it exists.

Thanks
  • andre1andre1 Member Posts: 85
    $3000 AD FEE!! This is exactly my fear about the Magnum. I am definitely in the market for a vehicle like this. I'm looking to trade in my BMW for a more 'family' type vehicle with some 'fun' quotient. But, I absolutely refused to be gouged by the Dodge dealers on this vehicle. While I don't expect to get invoice price on the Magnum, I will definitely look for another vehicle if they are adding these bogus charges to MSRP. And don't forget the history of the Lincoln LS. This was another 'hot' domestic vehicle when it was introduced a few years ago as the 'BMW fighter'. Plenty of dealer 'gouging' went on and they alienated many customers. And, the LS depreciates a whopping 60% in only two years!! Maybe the Magnum will follow this same trend and be avaliable for less than half the $30,000 in a few years, espcially if it has reliablity issues like the LS.
  • t15212jt15212j Member Posts: 7
    When I first started to look at the new Magnum I was also afraid of the pricing, due to the demand for the new model. I did not give it strong consideration because I felt that I would have to pay list or above to have one.

Being a member of Costco I went to their web site for the fun of it and asked for a dealer in their network that would sell me a Magnum. They sent me to a dealer that sold me one for $200 over invoice. That was about $2,000 under list.

So if you are a member of Costco, Sam's or JB's check out their car buying services.
    When I first started to look at the new Magnum I was also afraid of the pricing, due to the demand for the new model. I did not give it strong consideration because I felt that I would have to pay list or above to have one.

Being a member of Costco I went to their web site for the fun of it and asked for a dealer in their network that would sell me a Magnum. They sent me to a dealer that sold me one for $200 over invoice. That was about $2,000 under list.

So if you are a member of Costco, Sam's or BJ's check out their car buying services.
  • aknabaknab Member Posts: 2
    I drove an RT the other day and I have to say where the heck is a stick shift. While the auto is nice I could feel the engine wanted to run directly connected to the wheels rather than through a torque converter. If this had a stick I would pay the 3000 ad fee. It did not drive like a two ton car and I loved the rest of the features.

I have read tons of reviews and not one mention of a stick. Is there any plans for a stick? Next year? On the charger maybe? ITs supposed to be a sport wagon, how can you have sport without a stick.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    My son wants me to build a project car consisting of a 1967 Barracuda fast back body with the new 5.7 Hemi and a manual gear box. I assume that the old New Process 4-Speed would be the easiest to fit; however, I'm thinking that I would like the 6-Speed out of the BMW 545i.

Given DC's reticence to put manual transmissions in their cars, I'm betting that this will be my only option for a manually shifted Hemi in the near future, and as such, I just might bite on the project car. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "1967 Barracuda fast back "

Pretty - almost as pretty as the Charger of that era.
    My Dad had one - dark blue - so I could drive it occasionally.
    - Ray
    Wished it was a 340 - 4 speed manual, but . . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Is there any plans for a stick? Next year?

You can hold your breath if you want, but I have a feeling you'll pass out first....
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    LOL!

Yeah, AutoStick is about as close as you'll get, I'm thinkin', or whatever they're calling it this week.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Anyone heard what the Chrysler Financial Lease residuals are going to be on the Magnum? The 300C had 53% for a 3 year 36,000 mile lease and a 51% for a 3 year 45,000 lease. Wonder if the Magnum will fare as well?
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Keep in mind the Dodge Ram 2500 series comes standard with the 5.7 and a 5 speed manual. I dont know how a truck trans would work in a car but it should be able to handle the torque.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    We will drop that eventually. Since the Magnum name is not new, we'll keep it this way for a bit to eliminate confuison for people who are using the Search tools. While I doubt anyone is looking for info on the old late 70s mid-size Magnum, people will use the term to look for late model engines from Dodge, especially as used in the trucks.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Official DaimlerChrysler press release below

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards

----------------------
    "Excuse Me Officer, That Thing Gotta HEMI®?"

Dodge to Unleash HEMI Power in Police Car Market

* Dodge in Pursuit of Police Car Sales

* 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT Available for Police Special Service Uses

* Police Package to Be Offered on 2006 Dodge Magnum

Auburn Hills, Mich., Jun 24, 2004 -Unlawful drivers will soon face a Dodge Magnum grille in their rear view mirror, along with a HEMI® under the hood. Dodge is upping the ante in the law enforcement market with a new rear-wheel-drive Dodge Magnum police car powered by the legendary HEMI V-8 engine.

With police requirements squarely on their radar, Dodge engineers integrated specific law enforcement vehicle features and functionality into the original design of the Dodge Magnum, minimizing the need for numerous aftermarket retrofits.

"Dodge Magnum is bold, powerful and capable," said Darryl Jackson, Vice President, Dodge Marketing. "Dodge Magnum offers affordable performance to those who patrol and protect our communities."

Electronic Stability Program (ESP), All-speed Traction Control, four-wheel anti-lock brakes with emergency brake assist and improved tire design are standard equipment on the Dodge Magnum SXT for special service uses (as they are on all Magnum SXT models). Combined, these features provide balance and control for officers in a variety of surface and weather conditions. These same advanced technologies also are standard on the 2006 Dodge Magnum police package models.

"With rear-wheel drive and HEMI power at the pavement, the Dodge Magnum police unit will provide the optimum performance option," said Ray Fisher, Vice President - Fleet and Remarketing. "Dodge dominated the police car business throughout the 1960s, '70s and early '80s, and we're proud to continue our police car heritage with even more performance technology."

In addition to the enhanced performance and handling available with the Dodge Magnum, the spacious interior will provide officers a balance of cargo room and flexibility.

With 27.2 cubic feet behind the rear seat (71.6 cubic feet with rear seats folded flat), the Dodge Magnum offers maximum functionality for law enforcement needs. The rear cargo area features an upper flat-load floor that expands the usable cargo area when the rear seats are folded forward. Additional storage is provided for smaller items below this load floor and in deep pockets on either side of the floor.

The Dodge Magnum's "extreme access" liftgate creates an unusually large cargo opening by allowing the gate to swing up rather than out from the vehicle. The 11.3 square foot opening swallows large items such as police emergency equipment, duffel bags, dog crates, traffic cones or barricades.

The 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT model will be available this fall to law enforcement agencies for special service use. For 2006, Dodge will introduce a police package, which will be offered on the Dodge Magnum model.
    to bad the general population can't get an SXT with a hemi...!
    hope i never get chased down by one of these:

well if I've got to ride to the clink, i'd rather it be in a magnum instead of one of these image
    sebring,

i actually think the magnum looks pretty good in law enforcement colours...can you say mean with a purpose!!
  • cacwbycacwby Member Posts: 7
    I was told by a local dealer thru their internet person that they were going to use 44% after 3yrs for the residual. I was a little suprised. I would have thought 55-60%. If they think it's going to sink that fast I may wait and see why, and/or get a better deal on slightly used and forget the lease.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Thanks for the info. That suprises me a little as well. If they are using 51% and 53% for the 300C, it ought to be close for the Magnum RT. I agree, if the residuals are not going to be up there, there is no advantage to leasing. I will check with my dealer and see what they say. I will post whatever I find out.
  • morselandmorseland Member Posts: 25
    Picking up our Magnum R/T Tuesday in Magnesium Pearlcoat. Pictures of the car do not give the car's style and presence justice. Always wanted a Hemi since High School and I guess my dream to a certain degree is coming true.
        I wanted the 300c but now I am happier with the magnum, especially now that my wife loves the vehicle. I plan to take it a little easy at first to help break in the engine. My last car a 1999 300 M which I still love, did not give me the trade in value I felt was fair so on this vehicle I am financing it for a shorter period and getting the extended bumper to bumper warranty. Good luck to all in getting the vehicle they want.
  • kulkatkulkat Member Posts: 6
    Thinking of getting the RT. Your opinion, do you think my dog Hemi the Weimaraner will have any problem fitting in the back??? He's squished right now sitting in between my 2 kids in the back seat of an Avalanche!
    The Cargo space is pretty good. Shouldn't be bad for a dog, but it might be tight if he likes to stand up. The ceiling gets pretty low back there.
  • mbatchelormbatchelor Member Posts: 27
    My wife and I looked at several Magnum SXTs last weekend. Disappointed to find out that the Convenience Group 2 and the Electronics Convenience Group isn't available in the SXT trim, only on the RT.
    Otherwise my wife really liked the Magnum.
  • danskdansk Member Posts: 1
    I would like to hear from RT owners what they are actually getting in fuel economy. I'm trying to decide between an RT and an SXT. I believe that you may get 27 in pure highway situations, but what about overall mixed driving?
  • snicklesnickle Member Posts: 147
    I don't have my RT yet, but the owners who do (from another forum) seem to average mid-teens. Most of them have lead feet. Best guess: 18 real world.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    ....you may want to check those options again. Go to Dodge.com and spec out a Magnum SXT--you'll find options avaialble..
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    I was hoping a lot for this car, but now that I have gone to my local dealer and sat in one (though did not drive because I did not have time) I must say I am disappointed.

I find the back of the car a lot small than I was expecting. I think part of the problem is that the wheel wells take up a lot of room and so the width is not what I had hoped. Also the fastback styling of the roofline really eats into avaliable vertical space. Sitting in the driver's seat I again I found the sloping roofline gave a claustrophic feel to the back of teh car. This is in a car with a dark interior, perhaps it would have been better with a light interior but I can't help thinking that this car would be a lot better with I higher roofline at the back.

I was also concerned about the interior quality of the finishing. Pressing the dash the materials were kind of plasticky and would creak under preasure. Not a good sign in a new car. At the back with the tailgate open, I found the rooflining loose away from the roof and was visibly falling off. I pointed this out to the dealer. He seemed unconcerned. Now I do not know about you, but if you walked into a showroom and found the interior trim fall off in the vehicle that you were thinking of buying, wouldn't you be concerned.

I have now pretty much discounted this car from my list of future vehicles. DC really needs to do better with the interior quality of this vehicle.

I am definitely of the opinion that buying a used 2/3 year german wagon (Audi A6, BMW 5series) would be a better purchase for similar money.

K.
    The wife and I just love our new Magnum R/T in Magnesium Pearl Coat. I'll post some pictures when I get my website going. The car is rock solid and handles like a car half its size. The car's street presence alone blows off any BMW or Audi in my opinion, but buy those those cars if you want. But at least 20 people of all ages have stopped and given us raving positive comments about the car since we have gotten it (Three Days!!)
         The rear storage area is great for groceries and when the rear seats go down you have plenty of room for cargo. The overall quality both interior and exterior is superior to our 300M (which I may keep and must repair since someone in a White Navigator backed into the rear quarter panel the day before we were going to trade in the 300M. We ended up paying for the the car without a trade in.)
         The Hemi engine just keeps on accelerating stronger and stronger as speed goes well beyond legal speed limits. Gas mileage is not much different from the 300M if you don't get on it too much.
         Each day I drive the car I enjoy it more. For $32,000 you get quite a vehicle.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Then run to your local Dodge dealer and order one of these Magnum Train models. EVERYONE will get out of your way if they see you coming!!

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/monstergarage/episode/season3/e- - pisode_44.html
  • heinzh2heinzh2 Member Posts: 49
    After much debate ... with myself, I have decided on the Magnum over the 300C. The available room and they way rear roof line is designed is just too appealing. If this thing was squared off in the rear for just a little bit more room, then I would believe it would take away from the overall appeal. Just depends on what ones personal preference is ... room or bruteful art. I decided on the Magnum since I just can't see myself going to the hardware store etc. in the 300, or trips or doing any outdoor sports. And with one baby in tow, I think the Magnum will fit the bill perfectly on all levels. I would wish more of the interior as well, but the materials will do until I work my way up (one day) to those cars that do cost an arm & leg. I have yet to see a Magnum with an interior that was faulty in anyway. I would be hard pressed to assume every Magnum had poor interior quality based off of just one Magnum. There is one thing I would have loved to have seen as an option ... which would have been a motorized hatch door. And although the interior is a little plain (I guess it's called sporty), I have no doubt that Mopar, or others, will offer numerous options to dress that interior up shortly down the road.

As for placing an order today, I did look in to the Costco Auto program that was mentioned, but I did not see the savings that was posted! After all the options, the dealer was only going to come down $500 off the MSRP. I checked with another dealership and they were willing to at least match that discount ... so much for a good discount program. So I will be off to one more dealer to see if they can get lower than the $500 off MSRP. Fingers crossed :-)
  • snicklesnickle Member Posts: 147
    There are many options to dress up the interior coming out soon. Also various other mods as well. It truns out to get autoheadlights on the RT, all you have do is replce the switch with the one from the 300C. A $40 dollar mod.
  • cacwbycacwby Member Posts: 7
    What is the recall on? Does anyone know- my wife saw something on the news but has no clue what it was.
    DETROIT July 2, 2004; The AP reported that DaimlerChrysler AG is recalling at least 20,000 vehicles because of safety defects, the company said Friday.

The recall affects 2005 models of the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum and 2004 models of the Chrysler Sebring and Jeep Liberty.

Chrysler Group spokesman Max Gates said the company wants to inspect and possibly repair the battery cable connections on 20,060 vehicles, tighten safety belt attachments on 12,211 vehicles and inspect and possibly repair the child seat anchor systems on 12 vehicles.

Gates said some of the models may have one or more defects and some may have none at all. The company is still determining which vehicles are affected, he said.

Chrysler said it will begin notifying customers about the recalls next week. Customers will get repairs for free, he said.

Chrysler Group, http://www.chrysler.com
    I spoke with the dealer here in North Carolina and he is still taking orders for Magnums @ $200 over dealer invoice plus $299 DOC fees.

He will sell a stock car at $500 over.
  • andreaandrea Member Posts: 4
    We have two Audi A6's: a 96 wagon and a 95 sedan. Each was purchased used, just off 36 month leases. Each car now has various mechanical and electrical issues. We're considering buying one new car now and one next year. So, this car purchase can be either the 'good' one (powerful engine for long road trips (over snowy roads) with 4 passengers, 2 dogs and some luggage). Or the 'cheap chic' one - for little trips around town (including the beach), but still with the interior capacity for all of us + dogs.

I would like for ONE of these cars to be American. I had high hopes for the new DCs. But I LOVE the look and feel and build quality of the Audis (just not the poor reliablity in the out years - as we've learned). Still, I trust the Quattro. I have no doubts about it's ability to deliver superior control in the snow (it's been tested many times). This RWD + traction control with the Magnum scares me. Does it work even nearly as well as Quattro in snow? If we have to wait to order the AWD version of the Magnum I think we may just get the Audi Allroad. I have no idea what AWD will do to the price of the Dodge. I don't want to pay anywhere near the Allroad price for a Dodge. That's the whole point, you know? The Dodge is supposed to deliver the same performance for less $. There's no point in having to pay $36K+ for a Canadian Dodge when the German Audi Allroad is available for $40K - and will hold it's value much better.

Oh, and there's NO WAY we'll consider a $3000 ad fee or any such nonsense. This is exactly what I was worried about. American car dealers get a half way decent product in their showroom and all they can think to do is gouge. It's sickening, really.

Are people paying sticker for the RTs?

Here's our list: any thoughts?

Good car: Audi Allroad or Dodge Magnum RT. Cheap chic: Toyota Scion or Honda Element.
  • peterskmpeterskm Member Posts: 79
    andrea said:

Oh, and there's NO WAY we'll consider a $3000 ad fee or any such nonsense. This is exactly what I was worried about. American car dealers get a half way decent product in their showroom and all they can think to do is gouge. It's sickening, really.

I agree totally. I have no idea why the hell dealers do this. I guess the consumers are to blameas they want the product bad enough to overpay. I will not be ripped off just because the car is different and in demand. I can't see paying msrp, let alone, msrp+. D-C does offer discounts to certain companys and there employees. I just found out my wifes company offers a plan that lets us get any D-C product for 1% below invoice.
  • enygma6enygma6 Member Posts: 35
    It's the dealer's perogative, whether or not they feel the local market will support such gouging. Around me there are many dealers, most of whom will gladly add extra fees to hot new models. Fortunately I found a local dealer whose policy is to NEVER sell vehicles above sticker, and according to their sales manager they manage to move quite a few of them at MSRP simply because everyone else is selling for more. The only drawback is the customer has to wait for the orders to come in.
    (I did catch them breaking this rule on one vehicle: they had a Ram SRT-10 with a $4000 "market adjustment" to the price. However seeing as the next closest Dodge dealer had 4 SRT-10's with $7000 markups, I figured it wasn't worth harassing them about. This other dealer also had 7 Magnums all with $2000 "A.D.P" markups - my guess is that stands for "Added Dealer Profit." My moneys going to the guys who don't do that.)
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Please realize that I am not trying to be anti-Magnum as I really do like these vehicles, but since you were thinking about other vehicles have you considered Subaru?

We have a Subaru Forester XT (with the turbo) and we love it. AWD for snow or light off roading, a lot of power, good reliability, best in class safety and OK passenger and good cargo room (My two big dogs fit fine). The new Legacy and Outback are pretty hot also. Unfortunately, for the larger vehicle size and extra cost you do not pick up much additional interior space as compared to the Forester.

I know Subaru's are ugly, geeky, etc. etc., and if you are used to driving an Audi you probably can't imagine being caught dead in one, but you really owe it to your self to check one out. And I for one do not think the new Legacy / Outback is really all that ugly anyway.

Sorry for the Subaru pitch Magnum fans, but I was just responding to her question. I really do like the Magnum. And now, back to regularly scheduled programing.
    At least I can speak on behalf of the Atlanta market in that none of the cars have been marked up over MSRP ... this goes for the 300 as well. Maybe it's just the market here or something. I have been told by a couple of dealerships now that there is a $500 rebate (or something to that nature) on the Magnum now ... "but may go away soon".

By the way ... thank you "snickle" for the mod info. I think that is something I will take advantage of when I decide to buy. Be sure to post any other info like that in future. Also thank you to "t15212j" for the Costco info. Could you email me with that dealer info, just in case, since NC is not that far off to save that much money. Might even be enough savings to have the car delivered too?
    I always enjoyed our 300M, its a great road car with loads of interior room. I always loved the styling and other 300Ms still catch my eye when one goes by, I still haven't decided which color I like best.
         But the new Magnum, especially with the Hemi powerplant, brings driving to a much higher level. Its a large efficient car with performance and comfort, a huge back seat, and practical cargo space thats easy to get to. It seats five adults easily. And I like the styling even better than the 300M.
         The original sticker for our 1999 300M was about the same as our new R/T although we paid about $3000 below sticker at the time. All R/T's around here are going for full sticker unless they get you at the other end with your trade in. When we financed through Chrysler we got a $500 rebate and $500 reduction in a four year bumper to bumper warranty (whatever that means). After financing with Chysler for three payments you can buy out the loan at no penalty if you can get a better rate somewhere else. Getting a 300C with a few options on it at sticker is still difficult. I live south of Boston.
  • oedipus1608oedipus1608 Member Posts: 76
    An all AWD Magnum is not necessarily necessary considering how well the Magnum and its sibliing the 300, perform in winter weather. The links below are video's from Chrysler's Ride n' Drive program that allowed 50 people to test the Magnum and 300 in blizzard like conditions.

http://www.dcxmediaservices.com/videoptrs/wms/dctv/Mar04/Houghton- _Ride_Drive_300k.wvx

http://www.dcxmediaservices.com/videoptrs/wms/dctv/Mar04/Houghton- _Ride_Drive_P2_300k.wvx
    ILDERTON DODGE-CHRY JEEP
    701-709 S MAIN ST POB350
    HIGH POINT, NC 27260
    (336)8416100

Ask for Joe, order 300 or Magnum for $200 over dealer cost or $500 over dealer cost on stock units.
  • bhhbhh Member Posts: 1
    Comparing a Subaru Forester to a Magnum is a big stretch by most measurements, Consider:

Gas mileage – worse in the smaller Subaru.
    Cargo room – Magnum is 7.5 cu. ft. more, with a width and rear opening size more real-world usable.
    Legroom – Magnum is 6.5 inches more for rear passengers. “Not much more interior space”? This is a huge difference.
    Shoulder/hip room – Magnum 4-5 inches more – again a huge difference.

Besides the obvious size differences, there are a lot of standard features on the Magnum that are not even an option on the Forester, and options for the Magnum also not even available on the Forester (do a quick compare at Carsdirect to see these).

The Magnum will ride better, quieter, and be safer, from size alone. The Forester is a nice little car, but for MORE money than all but the Magnum RT model with similar options (and even there it gets close) the small Subaru cannot compare.
    I have a similar opinion. The Magnum is nearly as roomy as our Tahoe. Width is very important to me and nearly every other wagon or even most SUV's are lacking in that department. Three passengers in the back seat is not comfortable in most vehicles. I recently looked at a Passat wagon and a Magnum side by side. The Magnum is quite large and three can fit nicely in the back. Three passengers in the Passat would be miserable in short order.
  • rusty104rusty104 Member Posts: 39
    Has anyone cranked up the BA system in the Magnum? If so what is your opinion of the sound?
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    BHH:

I'm not trying to start a war, but I just to clarify a few points on my post.

1. I was not comparing the Forester to a Magnum. Andrea was looking for ideas for vehicles, including one larger and more expensive vehicle and one smaller one. Reading what she was looking for, I thought a Legacy / Outback or a Forester might be good choices for her.

2. My statement was that the Outback / Legacy did not have much more interior room than a Forester, even though the Outback Legacy is a larger vehicle. I concede that the Magnum has more space, particularly in regards to passenger space. The advantage in cargo room for the Magnum is reduced due to the slope of the roof. Sorry if my wording was vague.

3. 2004 Turbo Forester with the 5 speed is rated at 18/23, auto is rated at 19/23. Hemi Magnum is rated at 17/24, which is pretty darn good for a V8, but is a draw economy wise. My understanding is that the 2005 Outback Legacy is actually rated slightly higher, and the 2005 Forester has been revised slightly upward. My guess is the Hemi Magnum with AWD will be a little lower.

The Forester and Outbacks are top rated in safety. Like I said, I am not trying to start a war as I like Subarus and I like the 300C and Magnum. They are all excellent cars that will appeal to different folks for different reasons. I was just trying to respond to the post (#403) from Andrea.
    Dear Rusty,

The basic sound system is terrific with easy controls and great bass, midrange and high sound, tight and not boomy. You can fade the sound very effectively to the rear of the vehicle if you desire a softer sound or for rear passengers.