Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I went for the Magnum. I just could not get past the versatility plus the fact that I just love the look of it even more than the 300C. Got a great deal and could not be happier. Pick it up in the morning. Thanks for all the comments.
  • Options
    Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Enterprise Car Rental has Magnums--as do Thrifty which used to be exclusively Chrysler. On a trip to Florida in June--Thrify had 300's available for rent. Enjoy!
  • Options
    foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    Do you know if they had any RTs?
  • Options
    gsteimgsteim Member Posts: 1
    I've managed to get my SXT horn to stop beeping everytime I unlock the doors, but does anyone know how to stop the headlights from coming on?
  • Options
    tlktlk Member Posts: 21
    I need help. My leasing agent ordered my red AWD RT on August 11. I have called the factory customer service number (800-992-1997) repeatedly to get updates - it seems like they always say "call back and we may have some more information." I have gotten wildly contradictory information from them. One customer service agent, when asked how long it takes to make a car, replied that it could take "up to a year..." So this is my question, where can I get good, reliable information? This is a business car, and my need for it (or some other car) is getting critical due to current leasing arrangements. If I find that the car will not be built for quite some time, I will need to cancel the order and go somewhere else, but I need to know. Thanks in advance....
  • Options
    jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    Maybe this will help. Find out what dealership your leasing agent placed the order through. Get the VON, and go to the dealership. I'm not suggesting you skate the agent, but the dealership can always give you a status on the vehicles that they have on order. I think I may have bad news though. If your order was placed on 8/11, it is approaching 90 days. If it is still in a 'B' status, it will likely be dropped on 11/12. That's my best advice.
  • Options
    I don't want to sound negative, but the Magnum RT I bought was ordered in April and was supposed to be at the dealer for Dodge Premier night in June. The dealer got it on October 18th and I took it on October 19th, picking it up on October 20th. Mine was not ordered for me, but since it was almost exactly what I would have ordered, I jumped on it. It was the first Magnum RT the dealership got. I am hearing that new orders will take 16 weeks. :-(
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    These are very high demand at this point, as are the Chrysler 300's built in the same plant. Chrysler finally worked a deal with Canadian Auto Workers to expand plant production and by February the plant will be running 24 hours. Demand for the Hemi is particularly strong, and availability of the motor is limited. I would start shopping for something else.

The Brampton factory is also going to start producing the Charger in January. Chrysler has said they'll only expand production cautiously. I don't think they want to be GM and sell as many as possible, they'd rather keep production under control and make more profit. Toyota has done this successfully forever.

They've produced 156,496 Magnums and 300's through 10/23/04. 49,243 of those were Magnums.
  • Options
    elviswhiteelviswhite Member Posts: 2
    I ordered on 8/4 and I'm quickly approaching the 90 day mark. My dealer politely asked me to stop calling by saying he'll call me when he finds out more.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Chrysler does not want to get too far into Hemi Magnums and 300Cs because of CAFE. Too many V8s will bring the 2005 CAFE down, and they'd much rather you buy a 3.5 V6.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
  • Options
    One factor that helps with CAFE is the fact that the Magnum is classified as a truck rather than a car for CAFE purposes. Something about the flat floor even with the second row seats folded allows it to be classified that way.
  • Options
    True that the Magnum is a truck**, but it still has to be balanced by enough of the higher mileage trucks (PT Cruisers, smaller-V6 minivans, diesel Liberty, 4-cyl Wrangler) - the Hemi is already bringing down the truck CAFE in the Ram 1500 and Durango.

** If USDOT has any sense, they will rewrite the various vehicle regulations to prevent these types of loopholes. We all know the Magnum and PT Cruiser are wagoins, but because of very minor details, they are legally classed as trucks.

kcram
    Host - Wagons
  • Options
    I agree totally. The regulations need a major overhaul. I also must say that I am glad I got the Hemi despite the negative impact on the DCX CAFE. I love it. Just cruise along on cruise control at 69, so don't need it the vast majority of the time. However, it is real nice when it comes time to pass. At only 500 miles, it is far too early to see what my actual mileage will be. I will keep the board posted once I start keeping track of it more seriously.
  • Options
    findthefirefindthefire Member Posts: 7
    My black awd rt is coming this winter. Could someone explain what DCX and CAFE mean. Do these symbols affect your insurance?
         I ordered every option. As for the towing package. How does the suspension work? If you are not towing but are carrying a load does the car adjust? I know the hitch is not included. Has anyone installed an after market? How visible is the hitch? Is the wiring already in place?
          I am interested in installing a dvd player with a screen or two. Where could it be installed? Maybe on the ceiling. I wonder if the moonroof will be in the way? Any help
  • Options
    DCX is the stock symbol for Daimler/Chrysler. CAFE stands for corporate average fuel economy.

I would go with portable DVD players. I got one for each son and they can each watch what they want as well as take them from vehicle to vehicle.
  • Options
    I just had a salesman call me about a blue rt on his lot. He is given the rush out here and get it before someone else buys it speech. He said the price is 33000. Some salesmen have a real discrete way of pressuring for a sale. I had almost got tired of waiting for a magnum. I was just about to get a 2001 fully loaded pathfinder for 16500 with 40000 miles at another dealership. I think I just might used the pathfinder as a bargaining chip for the magnum. The salesman says the magnum is too hot to negotiate on for a deal. Is this really true? I have seen some people getting some great deals. He did not really tell me all the equipment it had on the vehicle. He said it did not have the sirius satellite radio. That's the only equipment he said it did not have over the phone. I just might check out of state for a better deal. Has anyone seen a blue rt in person?
  • Options
    I got my Blaze Red RT for about $200 over invoice, but that included some accessories that make the final deal about $100 over invoice. I was thrilled with that compared to what some people are having to pay. I have seen a blue RT and it looks nice in my opinion. The satellite radio can be added for about $200 and the factory radio integrates with it perfectly.
  • Options
    Hardhawk, I guess I might need to look elsewhere for an rt. Hopefully I can get a deal on mine without 2 or 3 grand over invoice. I think I might need to go to a bigger dealership. The dealership with the blue rt is 74 miles away. I am not willing to drive the distance if there is no negotiating on the price. I might just wait till the fall for the rebates to kick in on the magnum and save a bundle of money that way.
  • Options
    tbuzzkytbuzzky Member Posts: 1
    Good evening, I was wondering what the latest real world (not EPA) gas mileage estimates are from owners? I'm trying to justify the $ difference between my current car payment and a Magnum RT payment based on gas savings so I'm curious. Can you help? Thanks, Tim B.
  • Options
    dshueydshuey Member Posts: 10
    I ordered a fully loaded RT AWD on August 28th from a large dealership in Pennsylvania and still have not been notified of a "build date". I am being told that Dodge is test driving several to work out the final bugs (what ever that means). I put $1,000 down and bought the car for $1,000 over dealer invoice. Am trying to be patient. I see that some of you are paying dealer premiums for RTs. That's rediculous...dealers in PA have these cars and are selling for MSRP or below if you want to beat them up a bit or buy at the end of month or during dealer incentive times.
  • Options
    I too hope to tow a small trailer with my RT AWD but really haven't done much homework on how the "towing package" looks ot effects the performance of the car. Will do some investigating and post here if I find anything.
  • Options
    First, good luck with your order as you approach the 90 mark. Second, please realize that more importantly than the looks of the tow hitch, is the fact that you will have to invest in a full size spare tire for your Magnum (or at least should), since you only have a compact spare from the factory. I know you said "small trailer", but what happens if one of your rear wheels goes flat during towing?
  • Options
    jklossjkloss Member Posts: 39
    I was at a local (Chicago) Dodge dealer this am and saw at least 9 Hemi's for sale along with another 10-12 regular magnum's E-mail me and I will give you the dealers name.
  • Options
    jkloss, we do allow a dealership name, city, and state to be posted as long as you are not connected to the dealership. No contact info or personnel names are permitted, though.

kcram
    Host - Wagons
  • Options
    No connection with a dealer
  • Options
    trippstertrippster Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up a RT with the Continental Self-Sealing Tires (P225/60R 18"). I have been trying to find some Type "S" Cable Chains to fit with no luck. Has anyone find a source of acceptable chains for these tires?
  • Options
    trippstertrippster Member Posts: 5
    I got 15.5 MPG on the first tank and 16.9 MPG on the second around town, but I have a pretty heavy foot. The power is almost an aphrodisiac. I only have 1,000 miles on it and expect the mileage will still improve some. I haven't had a chance to get it out on the road and use the cruise control as yet. The car is so quite and powerful, I have trouble maintaining a steady speed without the cruise. But who needs justification, it's a HEMI.
  • Options
    nyr717nyr717 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone found a cat back system yet besides Borla?
    I am also looking for floor liners and seat covers. Any help would be great.
  • Options
    nyr717nyr717 Member Posts: 2
    Boy you said it.... Not only that but the drivers side front pillar makes it almost impossible to see anyone coming from the left. I am still getting use to it.
  • Options
    jimjimjimjim Member Posts: 3
    I've been waiting for a V6 SXT with the 5 speed transmission, larger disk brakes, and heavy duty suspension. This web article on 2006 Magnum police package mentions this combination. Might hint that the commercial 2006 SXT could come with the 5 spd auto.
    ==============

2006 Dodge Magnum Police Package

The 2006 Dodge Magnum will be available with a police package in the fourth quarter of 2005.

The standard 3.5-liter High Output V-6 engine featured on the 2006 Dodge Magnum police package vehicle delivers 250 horsepower and 250 lb-ft. of torque for great police performance.

A five-speed fully electronic transmission with steering column shifter, 18-inch V-rated tires and steel wheels, heavy-duty police brakes and linings and heavy-duty suspension will be included as standard equipment with the police package models.

For the ultimate in pursuit power, the Dodge Magnum police package also

will offer an optional 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine with cylinder deactivation that produces 340 horsepower and 390 lb.-ft. of torque. Chrysler Group's Multiple Displacement System (MDS) seamlessly alternates between smooth, high fuel economy four-cylinder mode when less power is needed and V-8 mode when more power is in demand. Fuel efficiency is improved by up to 20 percent with cylinder deactivation, but not at the expense of performance.

The HEMI powertrain, mated to a fully electronic five-speed automatic transmission and high-performance suspension, will give officers in pursuit situations a balance of world-class performance, power and handling.

The 2006 Dodge Magnum police package will include the following specific package items: certified speedometer, column shifter, emergency rear door lock override, heavy-duty five-link suspension system, heavy-duty alternator, heavy-duty battery, heavy-duty brakes, inoperable rear door locks and rear windows, and special police electrical wiring.

Optional equipment includes: daytime running lamps, dual spot lamp, police-type heavy-duty front seats with manual lumbar adjustment and full-size spare tire.

The 2006 Dodge Magnum police package will begin production in the fourth quarter of 2005. Pricing will be announced at that time.
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    SXT

Highs: rear seat room
    Lows: visibility, braking, turning circle, modest cargo area.

DamCrysler's choice of tires appears to have hurt the handling and braking performance.
  • Options
    What did the reports say about the RT? How many comments were there on the lows. I am sure there were a lot more highs. I have to disagree about the cargo since it is a wagon. I have driven one and backed it up to park it straight. The size of the wagon will make you steer bigger than you should with the vehicle. The visibility is questionable but adjustable with the rear view mirrors.What version sxt was it? You know there are different equipped ones. I am not sure about the tires. The tires could have just needed some air. They may have had too much air. Was this an awd sxt or a rwd sxt? Consumer reports can be vague at times.
  • Options
    This has long been a peeve of mine, especially with new wagons and crossovers. I think back to my dad's 1984 Pontiac 6000 wagon, and there was not a single point you couldn't see. The pillars were narrow, the windows full height. When I look at the Magnum, I see a dramatic downslope from already low side windows, and it's no surprise that visibility is a complaint. Chrysler claimed the greenhouse of the 300/Magnum/Charger was based on focus groups that said they felt more "secure" with the smaller windows... if any of those respondents actually bought one of these cars, I'd like to know how they feel about parallel parking.

kcram
    Host - Wagons
  • Options
    rgdawsonrgdawson Member Posts: 11
    I went to order a Mineral Gray Magnum and found out the color is "out for the model year".
  • Options
    moongoonmoongoon Member Posts: 1
    I just read an artical in November issue of a top automobile magazine about Dodges' latest Magnum.They have tagged this big bad boy as the Magnum SRT-8.we're talk'in 425 H.P.,Brembo brake package, and 20" wheels. They even hade a spy cam picture with those big daddy donuts wear,in canvas cover-ups. That and a change in the style of the front bumper are all that was mentioned. They gave no time frame when this baby will start tearing up the asphalt.I,ve had an RT ordered since Sept.3rd and if i don't see it in my driveway soon,i'll cancel and wait for his big brother.I can,t be the only guy on the planet that has any info on this monsterwagon.Anybody out there with their ear to the ground?I need more information FAST.I stopped by a rural dealership in northern CA.and talked with a sales manager.He did't have a clue,it's the end of harvest season up there a he seemed a little confused.Any info will be greatly appreaciated.Thanks.
  • Options
    I just got a call from a dealership in Baltimore Maryland. They have a fully loaded dark blue RT AWD on the lot. Window sticker $38K and change. I'm still waiting to get a build date on my order
  • Options
    andre1andre1 Member Posts: 85
    I found a way to order a Dodge Magnum RT at $1300 less than invoice, but I was wondering about extending the new car warranty. Dodge has a lousy 3-year warranty, but does anyone know how much they charge to extend this warranty to 5 or 6 total years?
  • Options
    Dodge has a standard 7/70 powertrain life time
    warranty. Do not know how good it is, How did you get $1300 under invoice?
  • Options
    yeah how did you get 1300 under invoice? I think if you take it to one of their five star dealership the warranty is great. Don't keep us hanging with such valuable information. Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Options
    Here's how you get a Dodge Magnum for $1300 under invoice. First, use one of the affiliate organizations that have an agreement with Dodge for purchasing a Dodge vehicle (including the Magnum) for 1% under invoice (which works out to about $300). Then add the $1000 cash back if you finance through Chrysler for the month of November. Your own company may even have an affiliate agreement with Dodge, but I found a organization called National Thoroughbred Racing Association (http://www.ntra.com/shell_index.asp?id=11390), where a $25 membership gets you a number of discounts, including the 1% under invoice at Dodge. I checked with two local dealers and they both confirmed they would honor this affiliate. I plan on ordering my Magnum RT by the end of ths month.
  • Options
    to help out with your math. That's only $300 below invoice. EVERYone gets the $1000 if they finance w/CFC. BTW, the dealer does have to agree to sell the vehicle/participate in the program - it's not required, and it sound like you may have found one that is not too busy and has agreed. Realize that a dealer with orders in the pipeline and orders coming in may not have much interest in a no profit type deal at this point, when your vehicle is 120 days away and a full profit order can be written tomorrow.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Before you sign up for the NTRA $25 deal, you might call NTRA purchasing (866-678-4289) and confirm 1) that you get the same deal for the $25 "Go Baby Go" membership that you get as a full-fledged NTRA member (like a racetrack, or thoroughbred breeder), and 2) that the Dodge Magnum is included on the list of "select Dodge vehicles".

I work for a company who does work for an NTRA member, and there's a sense from the guy here that works with NTRA that the "1% under" deal probably won't apply to the $25 membership - just recommend you confirm things before you send them $25, and end up with only a $20 Breeders' Cup hat and lapel pin out of the deal.
  • Options
    About 5 other guys on another Dodge Magnum board got the 1% under invoice using this $25 NTRA membership. The key is that they had NTRA get in touch with the Dodge dealer directly to alleviate any membership concerns. Of course, you have to find a high volume dealer who will take this affiliate, but by using the Internet or email, that should be not too hard. I'll let you know if I have the same luck in a few weeks.
  • Options
    rgdawsonrgdawson Member Posts: 11
    My local dealer had a nice Mineral Gray RT AWD on the lot pretty much outfitted the way I wanted so I bought it. Yipee!! Now I have a couple questions. The owners manual recommends 89 octane gas. I live in Colorado Springs, altitude ~6000 feet. Octane levels in the gas here are 85, 87-Regular, and 91-Premium. Is it OK to use 87 octane? Next question. I'm getting about 14-15 mpg in mixed driving. I've only got 350 miles on the car. Should I expect better? Last question, Will driving at this altitude (or higher) have any impact whatsoever on the multi-displacement decision. (For example, if that system is based on sensing oil pressure, will the sensors react differently at altitude. I can and will ask the dealer these question when I'm there next, but thought I'd throw the questions out to you experts, also. Thanks.
  • Options
    findthefirefindthefire Member Posts: 7
    Which octane does the RT require. What is the policy if you want to cancel an order? I ordered my rt in Sept. If I knew for sure the 400 hp was going to surface I would definitely wait for it.
  • Options
    but will provide better performance on 89 octane.
  • Options
    you have to ask your dealer about canceling an order. if it has not been accepted be Chrysler yet (BX,BG, or BA status) it shouldn't be a problem as their allocation is not affected. You may, of course, have signed a contract/buyer's order with your order that MAY have an effect on your refund. Chrysler's policy is that once an order has been accepted and is scheduled (D status), it may not be cancelled and the dealer will get the car.
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i'm certainly no expert, but i suspect hemi powered magnums driven at high altitudes will go into 4 cylinder mode less often vs a vehicle at sea level. just not as much oxygen up there at 6k feet and thus less power overall...
  • Options
    functionfirstfunctionfirst Member Posts: 9
    I have been driving a Chevy Caprice Wagon since I bought it new in 1989. Has 162,000 miles on it. Absolutely LOVE it and overall cost to own is CHEAP (despite rebuilding engine, transmission, and AC).

But -- want a new car! If I could buy a Caprice Wagon or equivalent, would do so in a heartbeat.

Since that is not possible, am considering subject 3 cars (Magnum with 3.5L). I've given each a short test drive and decided I can fit my arthritic 6'2" frame with 35" inseam in all three as long as they have a tilt wheel -- and I love the Magnum telescope wheel for this purpose. (Toyata Sienna and H. Odessey are out because I can't do that).

I haul long or big stuff not infrequently and haul a lot of luggage, etc on quarterly trips between Florida, Virginia, and Texas. Have no need for a 3rd seat and like the Stow & Go of the G. Caravan.
    Seldom have 2nd seat passengers, but, of course, need comfort there for when I do.

Have never owned a truck or SUV and do not know if I will like the Durango (although the short test ride was very good). Am now in process of arranging a 1-day rental for each of these (no mean feat, especially for Magnum).

Will also look at Taurus Wagon as a friend has had excellent experience with a 98 and I like to drive her car.

Overall cost to own is important to me (but over a 10-year period).

Would love to hear opinions as to what I should consider and watch out for. (Will also post this on specific car sites).
  • Options
    A local 5 star dealer had 2 (yes TWO) AWD, Magnesium Hemi Magnum R/T's. They were both fully equipped (Nav, Protection, Sound, Sunroof, etc) and sticker at 38K. Very nice......just outside my price range.