Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• rgdawsonrgdawson Member Posts: 11
    Arthritic 6'2" Frame. I am impressed by your approach to shopping for a new ride. Your priorities appear to be (1) fit in it, (2) comfort on long trips, (3) room for plenty of luggage. In the end it will come down to your priorities but I can point out some things to consider as you try out each car. I have experience with all three vehicles.

(1) Caravan. People who travel alot and carry alot of stuff love these things, especially older people. Why? They are easy to get in and out of. You sit up high and they are designed well for easy entry/exit. They are designed to minimize bending over. If you tend to have a sore beck, then you'll like the Caravan. You can get them with fully electric doors and shelves in the back. This auto is a favorite of retirees that I know. You can fit a ton of stuff in it.

(2) Durango. I have never driven the new model. It looks huge and offers some of the advantages of the Caravan, but is more "heavy duty" and optimized for towing and/or rougher terrain. It certainly will cost more to operate and maintain than a Caravan. I think the Durango is harder to drive and park than a Caravan.

(3) Magnum. (I own an Rt AWD.) Least roomy of the 3. It has very comfortable seats, but I suspect an arthritic type would prefer getting in and out the Caravan. You get the best performance, handling, from the Magnum. As you have discovered the Magnum has enough leg room for legs of your size.

Here's my assessment and I'd love to hear if you agree after renting all three.

A. Entry/Exit/Access: (1) Caravan, (2) Magnum, (3) Durango
    B. Economics: (1) Magnum 3.5, (2) Caravan, (3) Durango
    C. Utility: (1) Durango, (2) Caravan, (3) Magnum
    D. Performance/Handling: (1) Magnum, (2) Caravan, (3) Durango

Enjoy
  • ryansryans Member Posts: 3
    I custom ordered a AWD SXT on November 1. Does anyone have a reliable estimate for a delivery date? Should I expect at least 90 days?
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    It will depend on your dealership. They earn allocation monthly, and the first vehicles pulled for build are sold orders - like yours. Lets say they earn one this month and yours is the only one, then it will be quick. If they earn 4 per month and yours is the 40th in their order bank (an unlikely scenario, I know), it would be 10 months from now before your order got pulled - plus about 6 weeks to build/ship. I'd call every 7 to 10 days and ask what status the car is in. Any status beginning with B means that the order has not been pulled by the factory yet, but when it goes into D status it has.
  • foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    This makes it seem like a ferrarri or porsche. This is a middle class sports wagon. Are you saying it will be like next Christmas or something? I have been waiting on mine for a couple of months. I figure if I was ordering a vehicle and wait this long for it that it might be a custom made sports car. I think people will eventually get tired of waiting and Dodge will have an over supply of magnum rt's then there will be huge rebates kicking in for the vehicle.
    No, that's not what I'm saying. The factory has a fail-safe built in. If an order (even if it is sold) does not get pulled with in 90 days, it gets cancelled. This is meant to prohibit a dealer from holding a customer captive for an order. I know, for instance that if I write an order for a Neon it will have no problem getting pulled during my next allocation period. But, based on the number of un-pulled sold orders vs. upcoming allocation it could be risky to take an order on something like an AWD 300C.
    Of course, the problem does exist that the factory is walking the line between supply and demand. Customers can go cold while they are waiting for the car to arrive. If it happens too much...more supply than demand. I remember a 7 month wait for the early PT Cruiser.
    If it happens too much...more supply than demand. I remember a 7 month wait for the early PT Cruiser.

What do you mean a 7 month wait for a PT Cruiser? That's simply unbelievable. It is not a mercedes, bmw, ferrarri or something. You are right I have gone somewhat cold waiting on the Dodge Magnum and started looking at a 2005 midsize suv from nissan. They wait too much longer I might be riding in a 2005 pathfinder with 7 seats fully loaded for the same price of a fully loaded Dodge Magnum RT. Jglacking, how long are you willing to wait for yours like until the end of time or something? That was supposed to be a joke. I was watching Monster Garage on Discovery Channel doing aftermarket add ons to a Rt Magnum. It was very impressive. They gave the magnum bigger tires with nicer rims, a designer paint job, and the engine growled instead purring like a kitten. I am deeply considering waiting till Dodge kicks in those down payment type rebates for the Magnum RT next year. I think by the fall or summer the magnum will probably have like 5000 dollars rebates on them like the trucks. That's just my opinion.
    You may be right. I have been through many sales cycles when a hot vehicle was in limited supply. There is generally an order backup, lack of inventory, and high demand. Eventually the demand and supply curves cross each other - they do on every 'normal' vehicle (i.e. non-custom, non-specialty, non-exotic vehicle). When supply outweighs demand, dealer inventory grows and the factory has to back the vehicle with incentives (cash, low rates, etc.). This happens all of the time...the timing is really a guess in how hot the market stays.
    I agree, the Discovery Channel show was very cool. To answer your question about how long I would wait...I don't know. If I really wanted the car, I think that 6 months may be my threshold of tolerance - but everyone is different.
  • clay2clay2 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know or has anyone read how fast the RT is in the quarter mile. What is its time from 0-60MPH?
    To answer your question about how long I would wait...I don't know. If I really wanted the car, I think that 6 months may be my threshold of tolerance - but everyone is different.

Well jglackin, I must say you are a very patient person. I am patiently waiting on a mineral gray until I found out they were not making that color anymore during discussions. I think I will go by the dealership and find out. There was a silver magnum rt at the dealership. I might just buy that one. It was loaded like the one I ordered except a different color. If I do get it I will probably wait a little while before I do aftermarket add ons. I will definitely want to put different tires on it and exhaust pipes to hear the roar of the engine. I wish they had gave a remote control trunk release. The silver r/t is rear wheel drive. In the south there is not much need for an all wheel drive. We normally use a truck or suv to go into the areas that aren't really meant for a car. If you get a chance check out the new pathfinder I still love the magnum r/t. I don't let it show when I am at dealership. They won't negotiate too much If I let them know I love the car.What kind of aftermarket add ons are you thinking about for the magnum? Maybe a spoiler, bigger speakers, bigger tires, or making it a convertible might be some ideas you are considering for after market add ons. You know somebody wrote in their post they boosted the power of the magnum r/t to 375 horses and getting 27 miles to a gallon. I would like some documentation on how they did it and maybe they should send it to Dodge.
  • eeeleeel Member Posts: 57
    Roan and Track did a test with the Magnum R/T and ran a 0 - 60 in 6.1 and the 1/4 in 14.6
    I hope that you get the Magnum instead of the Pathfinder, and I can understand the frustration of long wait times. I guess maybe I have not said it recently, but I work at a CJD dealership - I won't say which.
    You're right about the M.Gray being discontinued. Go to your dealer and check on the status of your Magnum. If it got pulled for build before the paint was dropped, you're okay. Once a paint or option gets dropped, you can't configured an order with it anymore.
  • scuderiascuderia Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody done after market HID Xenon Headlamps on thier Magnum RT? Can it be done safely?
  • scuderiascuderia Member Posts: 2
    I have a 300C and I just got my Magnum RT that I ordered (only took 7 weeks to get from the time I ordered it!) I noticed that they have the exact same doors. Does anybody know where to get the chrome trim that comes on the 300C's doors so I can put it on my Magnum RT ?
  • dshueydshuey Member Posts: 10
    When I (finally) get my AWD RT, I want to put after market chrome wheels on it. I don't like the stock polished wheels and wonder why Dodge put bland wheels on its hot rod wagon. Does anyone know if there is some technical aspect of wheel selection because the car has AWD? Can I go from stock 18" to 20" without effecting the performance of the car?
  • findthefirefindthefire Member Posts: 7
    Which octane are you using? What is your mpg around town.
  • black1black1 Member Posts: 1
    around town 19-20 that is having a little fun still and i am using ethanol blended 89 octane seems to be fine with that i read some were they recommed 90 i think but it is fine with 89 plus it is cheaper the 87 or 90 in iowa
  • hugheehughee Member Posts: 2
    Is there any way on the Magnum to turn off the front passenger air bag so I could carry a kid there? Or is a 3rd seat available?
    Actually, the Magnum has the new OCS (Occupant Classification System) built into the front passenger seat. What it does is monitor the weight of anything in the front seat and the position of the seat along the seat tracks. If it detects no passenger, or a passenger that is too small, the airbag is automatically deactivated. I'm not near a Magnum right now, but I think that the indicator light is somewhere above the glove box. It cycles through a test with the rest of the lights upon starting the vehicle.
    I called my dealer and they said that my Magnum order status is "DG" but there is a "holding pattern" at the factory right now, so they don't know the ship date. I know that "D" status means the factory has pulled the order - thanks to jglakin. Anyone have more information on specifically what "DG" status means?
    two possibilities....one is that they said or meant to say "BG", which means officially, "order has passed edit but cannot be scheduled regardless of sold status" (i.e. they have not earned allocation), or the other is that the just meant "G", which is simply, "trim" (or interior stuff). If it is in BG, still long wait - if it is in G, next is I (inspection), and then usually it ships (K status). Sometimes they go to various J statuses (storage, emissions, passed inspection but not ready for release, etc.)
    Good Luck.
    My apologies to all for repeat postings. User error combined with a browser defect.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    No prob, I swept up :)

kcram
    Host - Wagons
    I have the Magnum RT AWD and here are some observations after about 1000 miles of driving.

I agree with earlier posters about seeting comfort - excellent, best ever for me. I also agree about ensitivity to crowns in the road. The car will veer due to road crowns or ruts probably more than any other car I've driven lately. I gotta admit I don't like that much.

I love the Hemi, ESP, and AWD. But I'm getting pathetic gas mileage so far. Worse than my 2001 4-wheel drive Dodge Dakota (4.7L V8). I'm getting about 13 city/17 hwy mpg and taking it easy. I'm in Colorado Springs at 6000 feet so I wasn't expecting to get 17/24, but I was hoping to do better than the truck, not worse. I'm wondering if the multi-displacement system even does anything at this altitude.

I love the looks. Mine is Mineral Gray. Just awsome. I have the luggage rack and the cross bars remove easily when not in use. The manual says removing them will reduce wind noise, but they cause very little wind noise so most people won't bother removing them like I do.

Back window get dirty easily, like most wagons. Back window wiper clears a small patch, but rear visibility is poor as most would agree. But I'm used to even worse after driving a truck with a cab on it for the last few years.

I had the Dodge dealer intall the Sirius radio kit right after I bought it and was pleasantly surprised that Sirius gave me 1 year free as if the Sirius kit had come with the car. But I'm unpleasantly surprised at the poor sound quality of Sirius. The culprit is probably Sirius because FM and CD, MP3's, WMA's sound fantastic. Sirius provides roughly AM quality in my book, though others claim "near CD quality". No way. So if you have to have CD quality don't bother getting Sirius radio.

Everything people are saying that is great about this car is true. It really is a dream car for me, exactly what I've been hoping for years DC would build. I love it.
  • pjo1966pjo1966 Member Posts: 157
    If you're listening to the talk channels, Sirius can sound like AM. If you're getting anything less than CD quality on the music stations bring it back and have the dealer check it out.

As for the crappy mileage, I don't have a Magnum, but it's not uncommon for mileage to improve after a break-in period.
    I think you might want to get different tires for the ruts in the road. Those are performance tires and meant for paved highways. I am still looking forward to my mineral gray. I am glad to know the luggage rack and the crossbars are removable. It's too bad they just can't slide down and blend in with the roof. Where do you put your roofrack and bars after you take them off? I think the car looks so much better without the roof rack. Have you aired it out on the interstate? I think you might want to consider the AWD is heavier than the RWD. The weight would affect the gas mileage.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    The cross bars on the roof rack are easily removable. The side rails are not. I take my cross rails off unless I need them. If you take off the side rails you will leave holes in the sheet metal on the roof.
  • dwl2dwl2 Member Posts: 1
    Just took delivery of a brand new Bright Silver RT with AWD and the Hemi. Takes me back to days of old when horsepower was king. Long live the muscle car.

Anyway, anyone change out the mufflers yet to sound off the Hemi? If so, what did you use?
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Also, if anyone has modified the exhaust (or even with a stock exhaust), what does it sound like in 4 cyl mode?
    The cross bars come off and on easily. I can't always tell if they really make any noise, but I just normally keep them in the garage when I don't need them. Only the cross-bars are removable. The car is very quiet. The biggest noise contribution comes from the rear tire noise coming through from the back. Its a very small amount, but my guess is that the 300C would be quiter there having a trunk.
    Yikes, I ordered my loaded Black RT AWD on Aug 28th and still don't have a build date (12-10-04). I'm starting to see the AWDs on the road and I'm getting angry with my dealer. Has anyone else experienced a wait like this?
    My Magnum RT (RWD) ordered May 3, built week of Oct. 4, and delivered Oct. 18. Worth every bit of the wait. Don't get mad at the dealer, it has no control over the wait.
  • dougpdougp Member Posts: 5
    A couple of questions.

1. Does anyone have a link to a good picture showing the stock wheels on a AWD RT? From what I have seen on-line (dodge site which stinks) the wheels don't look as good.

2. Will the RWD RT wheels fit on the AWD? I am assuming so, but if anyone knows for sure that would be fantastic. Thanks.
    There are several AWD's on eBay. The RT and SXT AWD models share the same wheel. I agree that it does not look as good as the RWD RT wheel. I do not beleive that the RWD RT wheels will fit the AWD model. The AWD wheels are not the same deep dish design as the RWD wheels.
    unless someone comes out with some sweet AWD wheels that aren't over "pimpy". If anyone can confirm that the dish is different on the AWD that would be great. If it's not different - even better.
  • jeffshadowjeffshadow Member Posts: 13
    My AWD SXT was ordered on September 27 and, after a few order changes (added leather, changed interior color), the Status would go back among the "B"s. Last Friday it became "D" and today it reached "KZ". DCX already has the delivery route via truck and rail handled and they estimated a shipping date of December 13 with a dealer arrival date of December 31!

I prefer the 18" AWD wheels as they resemble a more "machined" appearance. Our Magnum will be custom-painted to match a Milwaukee Road locomotive from the 1970s: black/orange/black with emblems, heralds and "number boards". Our pre-ordered California license plates read "MILW RR".

And definitely worth waiting for!

AWD for cross-country driving this Spring.
    I just watched an auto show today which demonstrated new turbocharges for desil and gas trucks. Is anyone making a turbocharger for the 5.7 Hemi that will fit the Magnum? The ones I saw on the show were for the Hemi in the Dodge trucks.
    Does the ESP and traction control keep it on the road as claimed? I'd love one, but here in michigan the snow on the west side of the state can get a bit deep a few days a year. Wondering if it really will stay on the road. Thanks.

Damn ugly AWD wheels...
  • tlktlk Member Posts: 21
    I have had my RT AWD for about 3 weeks and have driven it in snow and on glare ice. It is amazing - it holds the road so well that it is very possible to substantially over-drive conditions. In the snow, the only problem is going to be clearance - it is kinda low and not getting hung up is going to be a challenge. On ice, it is possible (barely) to spin the wheels, but you gotta really try. The biggest danger is the other guys on the road with you. I never thought a car could be so sure-footed, and I have lived in snow country all my life. Have fun!
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Just moved from NYC to West Central Florida (Gulf Coast) and looking at the paper yesterday, I see the local Dodge dealer's selling a new Magnum SXT with all standard equipment (which IMHO is a loaded car!) for $22500! Wonder if I could get $3G for my 98 Olds Intrigue (with 42100 miles) to cut the price to under $20G +TTT.... Since I just registered my Olds here, I won't have the title for a couple of weeks.

Deke
  • chr12345uschr12345us Member Posts: 12
    I just got a recall notice from Chrysler about some mounting brackets for the radiator (might crack and the radiator gets loose and ...). Does anyone know what the part number is (or the "new" part number). it is supposed to be a 30min. job but the dealer scheduled me after 20 days. It seems a very simple job and the brackets are 2.50$ apiece.
  • sebzx79sebzx79 Member Posts: 53
    If you are so willing you can drive to North Carolina and pick up a Magnum for Invoice - 1/2 hold back.

You can find the dealer on ebay they will even pick you up at the local airport.

ebayer is stevewhitemotors

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZstevewhitemotorsQQsorecor- dsperpageZ50QQsorecordstoskipZ50QQsosortpropertyZ1
    actually, if you read it, it say all vehicles are sold at invoice minus UP TO half of hold back. The buy it now price for this Magnum that you linked is about $80 or $90 under invoice...still a good deal, but not half of hold back.
  • ken5ken5 Member Posts: 11
    Ordered my awd rt for $500 under invoice in Kellog, ID. I have to fly ($39 ticket) and drive 400 miles home. They pick you up at the airport. Their initial offer was at invoice. I hesitated and said I'd think whether it be worth it (convenience factor)as I had a local deal for $750 over invoice. 2 hours later I got a call said they would do $500 under which cinched the deal. Invoice includes shipping and regional advertising fees. Most local dealers wouldn't budge off of MSRP except the one that was $750 over invoice which I thought was a fair deal. No hard feelings towards those dealers and more power if they can get MSRP for an ordered car.
  • ppugppug Member Posts: 9
    not sure about the part, but mine broke and spilled stuff all over the driveway. Make them change the appointment to avoid the problem... and if they give you BS about the part not being in stock.. give me a shout I have some connections.
    you're getting a great deal. Personally, I only entertain deals into holdback on cars we don't move very quickly. Makes sense, right? I wonder, if based on their RWD RT sales, they know that they will be sitting on the AWD's - I'm sure they have their reasons. Most of us in my area have more orders than allocation for AWD RT's.
  • ken5ken5 Member Posts: 11
    I can see why dealers don't won't to go into their holdback. Not sure why they did in this case but it did swing me over to their deal. I would think up here in the NW that AWD RT Magnums would be more popular. Almost Every SUV sold here is 4WD. I hoping that because this dealer is large, they get a larger allocation of RT AWD and therefore I get my quicker then the smaller dealer I was originally was going to go with. Of course a larger dealer may also may mean more orders that he has. Anyway I'm in no real hurry and it sorta makes you appreciate the car more.

On a side note read on the FX forum where they were having trouble in snow even with AWD. All I've read about the RT AWD is that it will be superb in the inclement weather. I was considering the FX or the SRX. I couldn't get past the ride on the FX and I couldn't get past the exterior styling of the SRX.
    Ken, its real easy to explain. Some guy who've been around forever will probably always consider the invoice price to be the lowest price for negotiations. Some of us realize that we have to consider the actual wholesale value of the vehicle being sold in the market. For a very hot car, it MAY be over MSRP...for a dead car, it could be well into hold back. Folks who don't realize that are not selling to their potential.
  • jeffshadowjeffshadow Member Posts: 13
    Just got the new Magnum, as promised, on December 31. Great three-year lease with a fair residual. AWD are now starting to come in out here in California. Definitely the hottest ride out there!

The Shadow
  • sroperasropera Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of an upgrade chip yet for the SXT?? Curious. Love my car
  • ddunlapddunlap Member Posts: 8
    Ordered the thing on Aug 8 and took delivery on Dec 8. Love it so far. I see some reference to recalls on the board. I just had instrument cluster gauge calib completed. Did not rcv letter, saw it on Dodge web site. On the day of delivery, dealer completed a TSB - something to do with alignment. I noticed the vehicle pulling to the right during re-delivery test drive. If there any others anybody is aware of, please let me know.