Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Anyone having braking problems with 2003 Explorer ?

robert117robert117 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
I am experiencing some braking issues with my new Explorer (2000 miles). Its happen three times... When at a complete stop at traffic light or in traffic the truck will lurch forward or shutter forward. Pressure is lost in the pedal. I'm not sure if its a vacuum booster issue or maybe a wheel speed sensor issue. If anyone else is experiencing or have experienced this problem please let me know.

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I would get it to the dealership as soon as possible to have them look at it. The vehicle is still under warranty. If there is no way for you to predict when the car will lurch forward, you are a 'fender bender' waiting to happen.
  • jerry2281jerry2281 Member Posts: 97
    I took delivery of an Oct., 2003 build 2003 Explorer Limited 2WD with V-8 and Advance Trac. I have just over 2000 miles and have experienced brake/transmission shudder 3 times. Twice when cold and coming to a stop, it shuddered 3 times. Today, for the first time with the SUV at operating temperature, I experienced the same shudder as I quickly shifted from Drive to Reverse to back out of a blind alley.

If others have problems or if you find a solution, please post. I am going to wait until my first service since I don't think it is serious. If it is, Ford will probably have a fix by then or publicize a recall.

I wonder if it could be the transmission hunting gears during downshift to a complete stop? I don't know why it would be intermittant though. Weather has been single digits at start-up, but today's incident happened at 49 degrees. Hmmm.

A five time repeat Explorer owner: 91, 93, 95, 99, 03. (97 Expedition)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    jerry2281: I would keep monitoring this and try to pin down when exactly the shuddering happens. The more information you give the service manager the better they can diagnose the problem.

Advancetrac is the stability control, correct? I wonder if that could cause the problem. Just guessing.
  • rjw0501rjw0501 Member Posts: 1
    2003 eddie bauer...smooth as silk so far ....but will keep an eye out...thanks guys...
  • corkymcorkym Member Posts: 1
    We are first time SUV'ers, vowed would not drive a truck to work, but we now commute 50 miles one way to work and experienced first snow and figured now is the time to look into one of these. Did not want a "bus" in the driveway so did our research and settled on an Explorer w/4wd, v6, interest free for 5 yrs helps too. How is the handling in nasty weather outside of ice which nothing works well on? Haven't bought yet but will in next few days. Thanks.
  • gasoonergasooner Member Posts: 5
    Can't respond to the performance on ice and snow. EX does well in rain. Traded a 2001 Jeep GC and couldn't be happier. I'm rid of what amounted to a lemon. The EX is much quieter, better ride, and handles great. Good luck with your purchase.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    Back in 1993, I bought my first Ford 4WD-- an Explorer XLT. In the summer of 2000 I traded it in on a Ford Ranger 4WD, and in 2002 I supplemented that with a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer. I have a strong appreciation for the sure footedness of Ford 4WD, and am a happy owner/customer of the Corporate brands.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    no heavy weather yet in MN, but both winters I've owned my 2000 I've driven along for miles on glare ice on the Interstate, no problem. of course, I wasn't trying to pass trucks at 80 mph at the time, either. when the footing gets questionable, lock out the OD, put on 4wd-high if you don't have AWD like I do, drive like Granny with a migrane, and you'll be OK.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    And don't do anything SUDDEN in an SUV in bad weather. These aren't sports cars.
This discussion has been closed.