Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Wiper Motor

kevernkevern Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in GMC
I'm just wondering if anyone else, in any past years, has been subject to this failure. Our 5 week old vehicle is now in the shop and I must wait probably a week for it to be fixed.

My problem: My next door neighbor with a recent year GMC truck (same wiper motor?) had the same problem. Is GM continuing to use a known defective part? Are there no squeaky wheels out there? Is GM replacing these with refurbed of the same?

If this is on national back order (the reason I must wait about a week for the part), why?

Anyone else out there have their wiper motor suddenly die on them? Let's hear it.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    What is it doing? Exactly.
    Not working at all? Working only on one speed?
    Does it have intermittent wipers?
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    This isn't coeval, but I had to replace an Oldsmobile wiper motor some years ago. I recall having the same thought pattern as you: Is this a typical situation for GM? Do they not supply adequate wiper motors for their vehicles?
    So, what is the answer?
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    How to repair GM intermittent wipers,before starting pull the wiper fuse or disconnect the battery.Disconnect the electrical plug from the motor,remove the screws holding module to the motor assembly.Remove the module from the motor assy,you may have to pry it loose with a flat blade screwdriver where it plugs into the motor.Now where the plug attaches to the circuit board there are 5 soldered pins,if you look with a magnifying glass you will see the cracked solder,I resolder all five pins.Use a large enough solder gun to get a good melt,I also add some fresh solder with some electrical flux.Reverse assy.
  • mrfixit3mrfixit3 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2003. Within a few weeks, the wiper motor went bad (of course while it was pouring rain out). Same thing, on back order. Dont know if this is specific to vehicles with rain sensor wipers (mine has it). Dealer fixed it same day, took one out of truck on lot..it is a safety issue and couldnt get part if on national backorder. Now guess what, few more weeks later, the rear wiper has stopped working!! Going in for that one in a few days. Other problems- the engine fan noise (Ive read some msgs on that one, not sure if a true fix is out yet). Have the stump pulling delayed 1st to 2nd shift (but I kinda like it, it gets the big XL moving and the rpms arent really that high). Is there anything else I should know about that is coming down the road??
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    pulling a part from a new truck to keep you running is one sign that you picked a good dealer.
    What does this sorry state of affairs say about Envoy and GM?
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    It says what we long-time GM buyers have always known, GM's strength is in manufacturing, not engineering, so it takes them 2-3 yrs. to get things right on a new model.
    And I also, USED TO BE a "...long-time GM buyer..." The GM purchases I made in 1997 convinced me to look elsewhere, and I took my own advice. I have become far more open to multiple brands with a far more open mind on the matter. In fact, I remain open to GM if they ever get back over the River Styx. (:o]
    A lot of the gremlins can be traced to components made by suppliers. Two-thirds of my DC van was made by suppliers, and that includes some of the best components, made by Bendix and Johnson Controls! Bet your wiper motor was not made by GM!
    I hope you weren't using that as an excuse for GM, because it surely won't suffice! This maelstrom has been boiling for years. In my opinion, Chevrolet is the anchor of the problem.
    No, not an excuse, but something to keep in mind if you have to pay for replacement part. In my case, I purchased a rebuilt alternator from a regional supplier with a good reputation, with a 2 yr. warranty, rather than going back to the dealer and getting another OEM part.
    Regardless of the brand of vehicle, I also look for viable alternatives for repair parts other than the (typically) very expensive OEM stuff.
    Unfortunately, the controller for the GM wipers, that so often fails because of the solder joints, is a dealer item only. It is not offered in the aftermarket.
    When my wiper motor in my 1986 Olds Custom Cruiser burned out very early, I replaced it with a unit from an automotive junk yard. It went the distance for me. When only OEM is available, used parts are often the best buy.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    I got one for my friend for his S-10 from Auto Zone. It was the complete aftermarket unit motor and all. The controller is not available separate. The new one did not have Delphi on the case like the original one did, but we did not open it up to check the board. The motor costs around $75. It really is a shame that the motor outlasts the controller, it used to be the other way around.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    and that the connector pins are all that hold the connector to the board, and the cable to the assembly. the cable should be held by the connector body, and the connector should be fastened separately to the board. the pins should just float in there and not bear any stresses beyond what one crossed wire in the cable could cause by pulling a little on its pin.

how about after resoldering the pins, cleaning the board with 99% alcohol and a toothbrush, then running a nice 1/4-inch bead of silicon rubber or epoxy all around the board/connector interface to take the strain? I got a ford, I haven't seen one of these, but this ought to do it if there's room for it.
    Some customers of 1997 Chevrolet Blazer, S10 Pickup; 1995-1997 Chevrolet Astro, C/K Crew Cab; 1994-1997 C/K Pickup, Tahoe, Suburban; 1997 GMC Jimmy, Sonoma; 1995-1997 GMC Safari, Sierra Crew Cab; 1994-1997 GMC Sierra Pickup, Yukon, Suburban; and 1997 Oldsmobile Bravada vehicles not involved in recall 98043 may experience a windshield wiper failure due to cracked solder joints on the controller circuit board.

Special Policy Adjustment
    This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (112,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership, or for those vehicles currently outside of this coverage, until February 29, 2004. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Just Released!
    Bulletin in full
This discussion has been closed.