Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW Z4

Comments

• goodshopper99goodshopper99 Member Posts: 19
    Hi,
    BMW USA website lists march lease offers, and i know that they are offering:

$1500 cash incentive
    0.001 money factor

I want to lease a 04 2.5 5sp, no options, sterling grey. I ran edmunds calculator, and w/ cap cost @ $1k below invoice (dealer makes $500), it is $355/mo w/ 0 down with all tax included.

1. anyone know residual % for 36 mo, 10k mile/yr lease? is it 62 or 61%?

2. Anyone know a dealer around AnnArbor/Detroit that has a internet sales division and is willing to deal? I can drive a few hours.

Thanks
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    ...how long you'll have to wait for one without options. Should be pretty rare. JW
  • mushroommushroom Member Posts: 6
    I've been researching Z4's pricing for about a month now. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get the lowest price. I live in Texas. The only option I want is auto trans. Yeah, they're hard to find. So far I've been quoted a price on one (manual w/power top as only optional equip) for 33,900. Personally I thought it was the best I'd get, but what does everyone else think? I was going to settle for manual just cause of the price. I couldn't find anything else under 36k that had auto. But I really want auto so I think I might hold out and hope I can get a good deal.

So, I am asking for good techniques. I saw in the earlier post that going up north, esp. in winter, can get you good deals on these. Does anyone think that's worth considering? Or waiting til the end of the year? Any suggestions?
    so I don't think you're going to be getting any remarkable discount, though the automatic version is certainly less in demand than the manual. Have you thought about searching for a low mile used Z4?

You won't get anything right now in the north because it's the end of winter and everyone's hormones are at as high tide as a 14 yr old on a first date because we're all eager for summer.

You seem patient if you're willing to wait for end of year -- if that's the case, why not go to the BMW website and get the email address (if they list them) for all the dealers within, say, a thousand miles and drop them a note with your requirements and an offering price?

But my best bet would be to go used. I just tried a search for you on Autotrader.com and they found 9 or 10 pages nationwide of used Z4s with autos with the AVERAGE price of $36500 (the best you said you can find). Worth a look. JW
  • mushroommushroom Member Posts: 6
    You're right, there are some nice prices on the used ones there. Certainly an option, though probably not feasible due to the price per month and that I tend to get bored after a few years of ownership. I should have mentioned that I want a lease. I guess I didn't realize they were that much of a popular car. I have only seen one on the road here. Ever.

So maybe I can't get any great discounts at this time, not that I really expected, but it seems that approx. $700 under MSRP is about the lowest they'll go. Does this sound like the average? Maybe towards the end of the year I can do better than that.

I am patient. I just want to be sure that when I buy, I'll know I got the best deal anyone would give me. In general, do you all consider end of year to be the best time for buying, or should I just wait for a nice special (the march one doesn't seem too bad. Either that or I'm naive)
  • 2wagonhos2wagonhos Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

We just brought home a 2004 Z4 2.5i Titanium/black leather, 5sp. What a car.

My questions are for anyone that currently owns one. Which is the best wind blocker? Plexi glass or netting? What do you use to clean your top?

Thanks!
  • fnfalmanfnfalman Member Posts: 7
    The best way to get a new Z4 with the best pricing and with only the option(s) you want is to special order one from the dealership and haggle the price.

The BMWUSA.com site shows how you can build your own car. The Z4 is made in America; or at least assembled in America, so you can have it any which way you want.
  • wanna_bmwwanna_bmw Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    I'm thinking about leasing a Z4 2.5 using the BMW April lease program ($359/mo, for 36 mos, $3,199 due at signing + tax title license, MSRP $38,870). Is this a good deal? Am I allowed to negotiate a discount to MSRP? My dealer told me that the term is non-negotiable. I'm new to leasing, please advise. I live in Texas.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You need to ask this question on our Finance/Warranty/Insurance Board, which is here:

FWI Board

Host
    Before you get involved in leasing, you want to learn a whole bunch about it. Edmunds is a great site to learn, both in the boards and in the advice and background articles off the home page.

In auto sales, everything is negotiable if the dealer wants your business enough. That said, it may be that the factory subsidy only applies to these terms, which sound to me like "Let's-sell-convertibles-in-the-spring-to-eager-buyers" rather than sound financial dealing.

You want to find out the cap cost (sale price), interest rate on the money, residual (what the car is worth at the end of your term, & mileage allowed. imo, a cap cost reduction is a bad deal ... you are paying up front for a car you don't own -- so if you get wiped out by a semi as you exit the dealer's lot, you have simply lost that money. Better do some reading. JW
  • xiownerxiowner Member Posts: 6
    hello all,
    simple question for owners.
    the airbag sticker on this car get adhered directly to the front of our nice dashboard ( on the passanger side )......has anyone successfully removed this sticker & how?
    hate the sticker, but love the dash & don't want to make a mess.
    Thanks.
    drew
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    peel the sticker off. whatever doesn't come off should come off with some WD40 and a little elbow grease. That souldn't damage the finish.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jakenickjakenick Member Posts: 1
    anybody have any difficulties or damage done to their Z4 because it is so low and there seems to be little space between the road and the panel underneath the front end. i think i accidentally cracked this front panel during a test drive just going fast over the lip between the road and the driveway to the showroom. it took a while to repair since the dealer had to order a new panel and parts.
  • entent Member Posts: 3
    I'm planning to purchase a Bmw z4 I am not in any great rush Has anyone heard of any chages for the 2006 models. My dealer thinks they will be comming out with larger engines.
  • peakpropeakpro Member Posts: 65
    new engines.....not much else....

if you can live with the 225 HP engine of the 2005 model you can probable get a fantastic deal on them in the fall... :)
  • entent Member Posts: 3
    Thanks peakpro

Do you know when the 2006 models will be available. May be worth waiting for.
    I think there will be some good deals on 2005 leftovers, as the car doesn't seem to be selling to well.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    They already have $4K dealer cash incentives on the 3.0 model.... Waiting is okay.. Depends on how picky you are regarding color and options.. The choices will be more limited later in the model year, though incentives will probably get bigger..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• denniskdennisk Member Posts: 3
    kyfdx, 2005 Incentives & Rebates page on Edmunds does not list any rebates or discounts for the 2005 BMW Z4. Where is this information available? Thank you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    I got the incentives from a dealer on another forum.. I can't recall exactly right now, but the incentives started in either February or March... $2500 dealer cash on the 2.5 model, and $4500 dealer cash on the 3.0 model..

When you pull up incentives, click on dealer marketing support.. It is in there..

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/bmw/z4/100482355/incentives.html?tid=edmunds.n.optionsresu- lts.seealso1.incentives.1.BMW*#dms

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cheezemeistercheezemeister Member Posts: 1
    Have had similar issues. Recently had front valance resprayed due to stone chips, done under warranty as they agreed paint seemed soft.
  • jayeshgkjayeshgk Member Posts: 1
    Hello all.
    I recently purchased a CPO 2003 2.5i z4 from my local dealer. In the deal I got him to order 18" sport wheels for the car. The wheels haven't arrived yet.
    The dealer will install the wheels for me. But I am curious of what changes are required for a wheel size change? Does DTC and DSC change? Do ABS settings change? Will these changes be possible in the 2.5? Comments anyone?

Jay
  • normz42004normz42004 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my z4 3.0 (with sports package) for 18 months and I drive in southern California.
    Four times in 18 months the front "nose" has become dislogded - twice ripped off by the belly pan dragging along the freeway.
    Apparently (it must be my fault I am told) parking in a regular parking lot against those concrete wheel stops rips the low profile air dam.

I am a cautious driver - you would be after $1,800 in repairs - but this last week it happend again. This time it is costing over $2,000 to repair.

Am I the only person this is happening to? That is what my dealer is saying.

Also, be prepared to slow down (real slow) before entering a gas station, going over speed bumps or pot holes or rain dips (or pregnant bacteria).

It seems to me that other cars like the corvette have a piece of replacable plastic material under the air dam that is sacrificed and can be easily replaced.

Anyone else had this experience?

Norm
  • normz42004normz42004 Member Posts: 2
    I've had this problem 4 times in 18 months. The dealer (Crevier) tells me that the car is fine - it must be me. The costs are sky rocketing to keep fixing it. I drive it like an old lady around LA becasue the roads are so bad.

Anyone else suffering?
    Norm
  • ragazzoncragazzonc Member Posts: 4
    Hi all--
    The following link is to a product offered by roadster solutions... it's a sacrificial plastic strip that fits under the airdamn. I'm thinking of getting it... anyone out there tried it?

http://64.225.94.154/ShopSite/product290.html
  • patb1patb1 Member Posts: 1
    Own 2003 $ for almost 2 yrs. Skirt is not as pretty as new, but worse than that, I damaged some electronic gizmo under there that cost me $500 to get fixed.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    BMW Z4 Coupe Coming
    BMW executives admitted as much during their Frankfurt auto show press conference: The Z4 Concept Car on stage is headed for production as the new Z4 Coupe. Like the recently introduced Porsche Cayman, the Z4 Concept shares its fundamentals with a roadster, in this case the Z4. While it has a roof and luggage area, the Z4 Concept shares the Z4's 3.0-liter, inline six-cylinder engine with 265 hp and 232 lb-ft of torque. BMW says it will take only 5.7 seconds to accelerate from zero to 60 mph and will hit a top speed of 155 mph. Electric power steering and more powerful brakes are expected to make it into the production version of the Z4 Coupe when it arrives in the 2007 model year.
  • peakpropeakpro Member Posts: 65
    Thanks for the info.

I like the looks of the Z4 coupe but I LOVE the looks of the Cayman S.

Any word on an M version of the Z4?
  • epbronwepbronw Member Posts: 5
    While I'm a big Porsche fan, I can't get into the Cayman S's looks. BMW has slated an M version of the roadster for 2007, using the current M3 engines in their final runout (the next M3 will be a 400-bhp V8). I've heard no news on an M version of the coupe, which makes sense when you consider the original version hasn't been released :) Why cut into their sales by encouraging people to wait for a faster model?

Emanuel
  • bc05bc05 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had problems with Z4 fuel pumps?

I have had 2 new ones installed in a 2003 Z4. The first time the car had less than 5k miles on it. They said that the screen on the bottom of the pump had collapsed, gutting off the gas flow.

Last month then engine died again, acting like a fuel pump problem. I had just topped the pass above Price, UT - elev about 7500', temp about 75 degrees. After 20 minutes on the phone to the dealer in SLC, I was able to get the car started again and baby it into town. They looked at it, and checked with BMW, and were told to install a newly designed fuel pump. The story was that the older design could have problems under certain elevation and temperature conditions. Since I live above 8000' and the temperature had been above 90 degrees at home, it is hard for me to understand why the problem would manifest itself at a lower elevation and temperature.

Anyway, I got the new fuel pump. But... I'm more than a little nervous about a car that is on its 3rd fuel pump in 40k miles.

Is this a problem with the Z4 in general, or did I get "one of those" that just has problems? I worry about what happens when the car goes off warranty. FYI, they have to remove the fuel tank to get to the pump, so the change is not trivial.
    WOW! I've always loved the aggressive styling of the Z4 roadster (especially in 3.0i w/ Sport Package guise), but am completely infatuated with the Z4 coupe. Autoweek had a great write up this week along with some nice photos of the Z4 Concept Coupe. I can't wait to see these cars out on the road. Autoweek says they'll be on sale this summer.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• cucocuco Member Posts: 36
    Here is some information that may be related to the Z4 and too close to the ground deal.

I'm leasing a 2004 Z4 currently at 13000 miles. The other day, I started feeling a thumping with the suspension. I took it to a BMW dealer and guess what ... The 4 Rims are bent. You heard that right, 4 rims bent.

I asked the dealer how can 4 rims be bent and he said potholes. Are these alloy rims on the Z4 just soft or is the suspension on the Z4 just not made for potholes in NY and NJ?

Three of the rims can be fixed at about $150 each. The fourth may need replacing a dealer cost of about $450.

Has anyone experience problems with Z4 Rims?
  • addiaddi Member Posts: 33
    Hello,

Does anyone have a handle on approximately what the base price will be for the Z4 coupe?

Thanks. Addi
  • jabroltajabrolta Member Posts: 32
    I’m looking for advice on the Z4 wind deflectors sold by BMW. BMW sells a mesh wind deflector ($185) and wind deflector w/removable center piece ($373). I’m seeking advice or reviews from anyone who has purchased both of these wind deflectors. Is it really worth paying $373 vs $185? I’m not sure which one to get. Thanks for any help given. :)
  • wantone5wantone5 Member Posts: 9
    I have the $185 version and it works well keeping the cabin quiet. My only concern to date is the fact the the raising and lowering of the roof rubs against the deflector. There has been some slight wear along the top edges of the deflector. Nothing big, but it is a tight fit.

P.S. I had the dealer install it at purchase.
    Thanks for the info. How is the visibility through the rear view window and does it keep the wind out of the cabin? I thought the $185 was removable with an elastic mesh and the leather (which covers the roll over bars) could be slid down to (not requiring deal install)? Thanks for any info given. :)

Here is the image from my last positing. Sorry.
  • exaggieexaggie Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard any scoop on the pricing of the new '06 Z4? I've sent emails to BMW Usa and BMW International and can't seem to get any hard, factual info when the updated online pricing will be available. I know they've done away with the 2.5 model. For'06 they will offer a 3.0i and 3.0si model, both available for Spring delivery. Has anyone got any additional info?
    Here is some info from BMW USA which has the pricing for the 06 Z4!
  • exaggieexaggie Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much. That website gives me more info than any dealer in my area.
    Exaggie,

Dealers are usually not up to date because they are concern in only selling cars. I usually find out all the info online and when I talk to them, they are usually surprised. These forums are a good place to find info. Good luck!
  • droptopz4droptopz4 Member Posts: 10
    I currently own a Z4 3.0i and decided to buy a new M Roadster after getting into one at the NY Auto Show. I couldn't resist all that power!
    I saw the the M roadster at the NY autoshow too. I've read nothing but great things about it. I saw one today on I-95 South headed toward Del Ray Beach, FL in Blue...It looked great on the road. We exchanged thumbs up as we passed him in my friend's '05 M3 Convertible.

• txranger1txranger1 Member Posts: 5
    I just got my Z4 3.0si Montego Blue / Beige leather interior and I love it! Plenty of power and drooling looks from everyone. BMW lease terms were off the charts great in June. It seems like it is attached to the road as you drive. I got this car for my wife, but she already knows who will be driving it more than her.

Even my 18 year old admitted "that car is 'off the charts' in cool".
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter aims to speak with anyone who has owned a vehicle and found its controls to be complicated. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Monday, July 17, 2006, and be sure to include your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • trt333trt333 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I'd appreciate some advice. I just leased a 2006 Z4 and I'm having a problem...when I stop at a red light, after about 7 seconds, the car downshifts, causing an appreciable jolt. Has anyone else experienced this problem? At first the dealership stated that this was NOT normal, then after a "software update" was unsuccessful they stated that this was a feature of the new motor called neutral idle control. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks
  • hilltop6hilltop6 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my Z4 for almost 2 years w/no problems. Last month, it wouldn't start - that is, it starts, but stalls. As if it's not getting gas. I've been towed 2x to BMW dealer who can find nothing because apparently after it sits for while, it's fine. I live in the Mid-Atlantic states so it's summer temps, but not outrageous and no altitude issues. Can you tell me exactly how you determined it was a fuel pump problem? Thanks.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    also, it would be great to hear how the mpg is

my commute is mostly at 75-80 mph, and I am hoping for over 30 mpg
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    alp8, as you noticed, we've only had one member weighing in with 25 MPG in our Z4 MPG: Real World Numbers discussion, but I hope more members will share their numbers there.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• ardbroilachardbroilach Member Posts: 2
    Have a slight rip in the roof of our Z4. Are we best to have BMW fix it or do we have other options?

SM
  • roadsterz4roadsterz4 Member Posts: 12
    I would look for a good local trim shop, more than likely the dealership body shop is going to sublet out any soft top repair and then tack on 30% for their effort. Good trim shops will use oem spec materials and can replace a single panel on top vs reskinning the hole top.