Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW Z4

Comments

• kidevo1kidevo1 Member Posts: 31
    I'd be curious as to exactly how much more costly a steering wheel would be to replace with airbag?
  • fnfalmanfnfalman Member Posts: 7
    In the USA's Z4 accessories book, the wooden spoken steering wheel costs almost $500, PLUS $180-something for wooden cover (required - whatever that means). So, the parts alone to replace the plastic bespoked steering wheel with a wooden spoke steering wheel is about $700 US Dollars alone. I sure hope that for that much, they'd better not charge me labor!
  • domshardomshar Member Posts: 10
    I have seen just about all the colors. The first one i ever laid eyes on was that Maldavian Blue, Tan Interior, woodgrain trim. Very very nice indeed. The Black metallic with tan interior is also stunning. While in the showroom for two hours agonizing over what to do, i turned and saw her.....Titanium Silver, Black interior. I understand we all have different tastes, it's what makes the world go 'round, but I feel the Titanium trim in this car looks much better than the wood. I had the wood trim in my white 323i, black interior, and it was beautiful, but not in the Z4. Today, I saw a white Z4 with the red interior (is THAT the extended leather??). Let's face it folks, we all have gorgeous cars that almost everyone envies. When strangers come up to you in the car or make comments or smile at a traffic light, the car's got something. Even the driver of a beautiful black M5 honked on his way by in another lane the other day.
  • sjmurray2sjmurray2 Member Posts: 65
    Do you have to replace the original tires with Run Flat Tires? Has anyone experience with wear & tear on the 16 inche tires on the 2.5 liter?
    I am not sure if you have to replace run-flats with run-flats. I have them (17"). I DO know that low-profile tires have special wheels, so you have to keep using low profile tires or get new wheels too. The only thing outside of calling your dealer, is to sign up for Owners Circle on the www.bmwusa.com website, and in there you can ask technical questions. I have done it and have gotten good answers in a short amount of time.
    Also, I know that you'll only get about 20000 miles out of your low-profile tires, run-flats or not. Unfortunately, I also know that the cost of a tire is 300 bucks and the cost of my 17" wheels is 340 bucks. I hit a pot hole on the NJ turnpike and bent both right side wheels......ouch!
    All you need are conventional tires that match the same sizes as your original run flat tires. I am planning on putting on conventional tires (probably Pirelli P Zeros) on my Z4 once the original tires wear out. I'll just throw in the trunk a couple cans of foam fix-it-flat sprayers. The run flat tires' sidewalls are simply too stiff for riding on the street.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    I know there is a $3500 dealer-money pkg. available as a discount now, but several posts here have mentioned that $3k-$4k discounts were available much earlier, too.

I'd planned to buy in late winter .... whaddya think? The depreciation hit on an '03 may wipe out the discount? Or not?

TIA. JW
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I bought a 2002 S2000 in late November 2001 and got the best of both worlds: a discount over what the 2001 model was selling for the previous summer AND a one year newer model with numerous improvements. I could have gotten an even graeter discount on a leftover 2001, but it would have only been another $1,000 less, not in my 1st color choice, and without the glass rear window, better stereo and other upgrades of the 2002.

If I were you, I'd look at buying a 2004 at a hefty discount this winter unless you can save an additional $1,500 - $2,000+ on a leftover 2003. By my estimates, on a $40k car, a newer model year is probably worth at least an additional 5% in resale. That may not matter if you plan on keeping the car for 6+ years, but it would if you plan on selling/trading in 3-4 or less.
  • madmanprodsmadmanprods Member Posts: 1
    I took delivery of my Z4 on August 28th, and got BMW's special lease rate and a straight, no haggle $1,000 over invoice. This turned out to be approximately $2,000 off sticker.

2.5, Merlot Red with beige leather, fog lights, automatic and the Premium Package.

The standard stereo is quite good--I've been surprised, and I'm somewhat of a sound guy. I would like to have a multi-play CD Changer, tho.
  • droptopz4droptopz4 Member Posts: 10
    When I ordered my 3.0i back in April, Bright Red wasn't available. I'd really like to see this color! Not that I would have bought it but I'm partial to red - I did go with the red leather interior which I love; red leather comes with a light grey cockpit and the combination is stunning. Most of the Z4's I've seen have been Titanium. I ordered Sterling Grey just because I thought it showed-off the contours better. I'm still super happy with this car.
  • bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    bright red WAS available to order in April. I've sold a couple in bright red.
    can you direct me to any pics?
  • bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major magazine is looking to interview someone who recently bought a fun, weekend car, perhaps a roadster like the Nissan Z or the BMW Z4. This should bring your total number of family vehicles to three or more. He'd prefer if it is somebody who hasn't previously owned a fun "toy car" like this. Please respond by October 22 to jfallon@edmunds.com with the list of vehicles you currently own along with your daytime contact info.
    Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mlsigmlsig Member Posts: 1
    I really like the z4 3.0 and am strongly considering buying a 2003 model, in part because of the discounts now available. But I wonder how it handles in the winter. I live in N Indiana where we occasionally get moderate snowfalls. Thinking of putting some snow tires on and getting a hardtop. Any experience driving a z4 so equipped in the winter?
    While on a test drive with the dealer, I asked the same question. He said: "Don't get it." He said his only experience was in moving cars in the parking lot (I'm sure they didn't have snows) but he felt the car was a poor handler -- if I were to try it I'd want the snows of course, and also a hundred pounds or so of ballast in the trunk. JW
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    I'm sure snow tires on all 4 corners are a must if you plan on doing any winter driving in the white stuff. The low ground clearance won't help matters, but as long as you don't drive through unplowed streets with giant snow drifts (like the guys in the VW Toureg Commercial) you should be able to get by. If it is that bad, then don't go out:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

It is a roadster. It is not designed to be driven in snow. First snowflake.....park it! In a conversation I had with my dealer he said "well....it is what it is". He is exactly correct. This car is great and handles beautifully, even in rain, but snow is a no go, even if it has barely started to cover the street. I also have an SUV and my wife and I commute together, especially in bad weather.
    and hogwash. There is no reason a roadster cannot be driven in the snow. (Miatas are a ball to ice race!) Just put the darn top up!!!

Now if domshar said the torque was an issue, or the light weight, or the low ground clearance, he'd have an issue. There is in fact no rwd lightweight that is going to be as easy, comfortable, or safe to drive on icy roads as a SUV or fwd sedan or awd anything.

But it's quite possible to do -- extra weight in the trunk, easy on the gas, no tailgating, and stay home if a 5" snowfall hasn't been plowed. Makes for a long winter though!

Best, JW
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I drove a Jaguar roadster in New York winters for many years and never got stuck--well, maybe I needed a push from some kids once a year. It's more about tires and developing skills (and knowing when to stay home) than anything else. The only thing that you have to fear is your ground clearance, and in snow THAT deep you might want to consider staying in bed.
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    Why doesn't the same magazine interview all of us Infiniti G35 owners suffering brake problems. Infiniti would rather find new consumers rather than fix our issues. Please see the G35 forum for a detailed explanation.

I drove the 2.5, '03 Z4 today and fell in love. Found one for $35,300 (manual). What are the improvements, if any, for '04? How is build quality for the '03? Does the 3.0 have a lot more noticible power?

I do not see many complaints like on the Infiniti G35 boards which is a great thing!

Thank You.
  • xiownerxiowner Member Posts: 6
    i'm curious why domshar feels this way about car in any snow
    i am a '01 330xi owner who will come off lease this spring & i'd like to go for the Z4 next
    while i realize that a roadster is no X5 type SUV, i also realize that BMW also has only 2 models of AWD cars other than their "SAV"
    eveything else is RWD, Z4 included
    other than one's choice of tires on the 3.0 standard 17" rims ( after EOM ), how is this RWD car much different/worse than any other in the line?
    i like my xi year-round, and, i may miss the 32% of torque split i enjoy now in a sedan, but i was hoping that i could drive this type car year-round as well here in the mid-atlantic area.
    what exactly are the true concerns????
    thanks
    The Z4 is soemwhat of a rare sight here in NYC, but I really like them. There's a Black 2.5i with Red Leather, stick, & Sport Package that looks great. The person parks it on the street every night. Yesterday while condo shopping in Westchester I saw a Sterling Gray w/ Red Leather (3.0i) & 6 speed that looked really sharp. There was a dark green 2.5i, and I saw a Merlot colored one too! All great colors!

If I could cough up the $40+K for a Z4, I'd go for either a Sterling Gray or Black Sapphire Metallic 3.0i with Sport Package (LOVE THE WHEELS), 6-speed, Heated Seats, Convenience Package, & Xenon Lights. This purchase will no doubt be held off due to the fact that I plan on buying a home within the next 6 months! But we can "build our own" and dream can't we?

xiowner: You said you live in the mid-atlantic which means to me South Jersey/Delaware/Maryland/Northern VA. The past winter we had was the worst in a long time. We probably won't see another one for another 5 or 6 years. Go for a Z4! You'll be glad you did!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tmthyptmthyp Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market for a Z4 and went to my local dealer last week to discover 20 or so on the lot.Almost all of them were 2003s.

They didn't offer it, but it turns out BMW is trying to clear out those 03s and offering some pretty hefty dealer incentives. You can get $5,000 off the 3.0s and $4,500 off the 2.5s.
    That's BMW's contribution, I've already found a dealer who will knock another 1,000 off of that, for a total of 6,000 off msrp....

Makes it pretty tough to resist...
  • shinyoshinyo Member Posts: 1
    tmthyp, I'm looking for a new 2003 z4... you mentioned some nice dealer incentives; where did you get those numbers from, and which state do you live in? Thx.
  • tmthyptmthyp Member Posts: 2
    It's a nationwide BMW program....any dealer should have them....
    A roadster like the Z4 is a funny car because it will command somewhat of a premuim price as a new car, but there should be plenty of year old (right now) models with low mileage for a good price. Many people buy a Z4 and can't live with it year round, or the wife gets pregnant and they've got to buy a sedan, minivan, or SUV, or they decide they can't make the payments anymore on the third car. Dealers salivate at people who trade their cars in after a year (or less) because the person takes a bath and the dealer sells it as a low mileage CPO car for a big markup. So go in at the end of the month, in November, December, or January and bring your negotiating skills. People who are out west or down south where dealer supply of Convertibles is tight, consider buying the car in the Northeast where dealers have these cars sitting on their lots for months!

well.....If I just stayed in South Jersey, Z4 would be (almost) no problem - now I travel from VA to VT.
    So, again....6 cyl "small" rwd car can't be all that bad, any worse in the elements than a 3 series coupe??...I enjoy my XI, but, really no other car in the entire line is awd...so, why may the Z4 really be any worse.
    and, yes...'03 models are $5k off....but, you have to take what is left-over...wrong colors, wrong options, etc
    Plenty here in "mid-atlantic"....just none(zero)of the what i wanted exactly w/in 300 miles....so, i'll wait for the '04 & get the better residual ( the trade-off from lower residual of these last '03 models...)
    thanks
    Living in Manhattan, I don't get to drive much but I'm sure to exit the garage more than once during the winter. The stock run-flats probably won't perform well in the snow so I'm hoping that the car's electronics (along with a lighter touch on the accelerator and the Sport Mode switched off) will prevent any loss of control.

Yesterday I saw the TV commercial for the $5,000 incentive. That's to be expected due to the cold weather slowdown of demand for convertibles as well as the end of the '03 model year. I got a great below MSRP deal in April so most of you should be able to find a Z4 at a good price.

Nyccarguy, mine is a 3.0 Sterling Grey with red leather, 6 speed and Sport Package - probably identical to the one you saw up in Westchester. I had to order mine; it took 6 weeks. I bought it from Wide World of Cars in Spring Valley.
    I hope, from my other comments on this board, you all know that I LOVE my Z4. There had been some comments about snow, and I just wanted to share my one-time experience. I travel 42 miles each way to work on three very busy major highways to get there, and if ANYTHING happens, traffic jams can cause my drive to be 2 hours or more. In winter storms where we have left work early, it has taken 3 or more hours to get home. My 323i was actually pretty good in snow, I thought, and I hear the xi is great in snow.
    Clearance....oh yeah, for sure a Z4 problem. My take on Z4 in snow, personnally, is that when you have no choice but to go out in snow, make it as safe as you can. Since I have an SUV also, to me it's a no-brainer which car we take. As stated by jwilson1, when driving in snow, more than ever, drive safe and smart, extra weight, etc. And please to all drivers everywhere....DO NOT TAILGATE. I see accidents all the time because people don't give themselves enough room to stop. Really stupid. SO drive it in snow if you'd like, if you have run-flats, replace them for winter, extra weight, anything you can do, do it. And pray for Spring. If I drive the SUV to work for more than 3 days at a time, I am jones-ing for my Z4.
    I had my Z4 in for the first oil change yesterday. I saw at least 15 Z4s in the lot, all marked down. Many of the 2.5s were 30k. A few Z4s were 35-37K. Lots of colors, red, black, white, merlot. This is in Doylestown PA.
    To msiseng, I seriously considered a G35 coupe b4 getting my Z4. Drove it twice, got best deals. On the day i was ready to buy, I went back, with my wife, she drove it, liked it alot. It is a sweet car, but I was uncomfortable in the drivers seat, feeling a little cramped, no room on the sides of the seat to get to controls there. Just when the dealer thought he had me, I said that I wouldn't feel right doing this until I went to the BMW dealer to look around first. He knew I'd never be back (I already was driving a 323i, which is still the best car I have EVER had).
    I went to Thompson in Dolyestown, spent 3 hours and came home with the Titanium Z4. No regrets. I can't imagine how I would have felt leaving my 3 at an Infiniti dealer, it was hard enough at BMW, but it got a good new home.
    Good luck with your car, and next time, TRUST me, go get a BMW.
    to domshar,
    just asking, for snow...i was considering trying to get a dealer to switch-out the the run-flat for good all-season's, and, not have to trade between "summer & winter" tires...any thoughts?
    won't be buying till early spring, need to finish my lease on the xi.
    and, people keep speaking of ground clearance
    ( an unpublished # )...w/out sport option, seems to be same clearance as 3 series, where xi is only xtra 1/2 higher...so, where is the "problem"?
    and, we're not talking about the torque of an M-series, or anything crazy....so....it should be able to be driven conseratively & safely in poor weather, no?
    just concerned when using this as an "everyday" car here in delaware valley area.
    thanks
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Has anybody considered wheels/rims for their z4's from Tire Rack? Are there any combos that actually give you a lift on your clearance?

-Paul
    If you use tires/wheels to change your clearance, you'll also be changing the rolling diameter out of all proportion to what is good for your odometer, speedometer, and most important, ABS and traction control systems. This is very dangerous! Keep it within 3 or 4%. Tire Rack will give you good advice.

If you need that much clearance, you need a different car. JW
    The best way to get a bit more clearance & a softer ride on the Z4 would be to go with a Minus 1 wheel & tire combo. As long as you stay within the rolling radius stays the same, the gauges will not be affected. The tire rack will guide you appropriately. BMWs have large brakes and you must make sure that a smaller wheel/ tire combo will fit over the brakes.

ie: My Prelude came with 205/50 VR16 tires. For the winter I switched to 195/60 HR15 Michelin Pilot Alpins. The increased sidewall height gives me more of a cushion if I can't avoid a pothole. The narrower tire allows a more concentrated contact patch. The rolling radius of the tires are identical.

Forgot about the speedo and odo.

Guess I'm used to my Jeep Wrangler with the oversized tires. :) heheh

-Paul
    My 3.0 has the Sports Option, and the tires, though great on dry surfaces, are pains in the rear end to drive in the rain.
    The Xi's sport package is more cosmetic (steering wheel, seats, trim). The wheel/tire combination is fairly narrow as BMW's go, so handling the rain and snow is much easier. You can get grippy depending on the rubber you have.

-Paul
  • ec_creativeec_creative Member Posts: 15
    my 330 coupe for a Z4 3.0 in September. got a new '03, and the sticker was discounted $5,000 at a South Jersey dealership. i rarely see any Z4's in S. Jersey and Philly, I can count them on one hand.

I didn't realize that a Z4 is a roadster and snow plow all in one.

happy driving,
    M
    ...it was a scary thing. I drove to central NY and on my way back some lake-effect snow hit. Maybe 2 inches was on the roadway and the overpasses had ice under the snow. Thankfully, it didn't take much for the electronic systems to kick in. I drove slowly past a three car accident and eventually reached dry road. When I got home, I parked in the garage and put the cover on. I feel safe now.
    wow.......i have NO problem in rain AT ALL. I don't have the Sport Option. I guess that's the difference (?).
  • peacefieldpeacefield Member Posts: 4
    I live in Northern NJ and am looking at a Z4 which would be my first convertible. Other than the challenge that a Z4 may be to drive in the snow, what do I need to be concerned about. With only the soft-top, do you freeze? This will be my everyday car.

Any thoughts you can share would be appreciated. Thanks.
    If you put the top up, you'll be fine. You might want the heater, too. Nothing to worry about really as it's a new car. With spring coming, just have fun. JW
  • gtichangtichan Member Posts: 5
    If this will be your everyday car you may want to consider not upgrading your wheels to 18inch. They look nice, but the ride is harsh and tires are very pricey to change. I wish I never got the 18inch... Leather is a must too.
    Other then that the soft top is durable in all season and you should have no problem! enjoy
    i just ordered a 3.0 for here in "central" NJ.
    didn't do sport to avoid the 18".
    did arrange to switch OEM tires for all season as this will be "everyday" car.
    going from xi owner to z.
    hope this works out well.....
  • erinx5erinx5 Member Posts: 14
    Hello Everyone!
    I am looking into the Z4 2.5 Roadster. Does anybody know how these things handle in the winter, maybe with snow tires.

Thanks!
    ~Erin
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    The Z4 has the same RE050 tires that my '04 S2000 has. They are utterly worthless in snow. Completely, utterly worthless. No "maybe" for winter tires; if you get a Z4 with these tires, then you need snow tires if you're going to be dealing with any measure of snow, ice, slush or even frost.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist is looking to interview consumers who have recently bought preowned sports cars. Why did you buy "used" and which car did they choose? Why that car? Did you realize a tremendous cost savings? Did you go for certified used? Please respond to newswiz@earthlink.net and/or jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, March 5 with your name, daytime contact information and some information about your vehicle.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

erin....
    i had the same concerns, as i was writing in some posts above - so, instead of switching sets of tires, i opted for the all seasons.
    seemed like the best compromise....at least i hope it is.
    i'm betting that it will be good enough in the balance of the year to outweigh our few truly bad winter days.
    what do you think?
    drew