Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

'98 Intrepid starting to use oil already

2»

Comments

• zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    air equipment ot a jackhammer to file it down!!
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    and plenty of straps to hold the car onto the rack while six or seven of your meanest, beefiest friends pull on the cheater to kick the plug loose
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    andre1969

I actually leased this car new. Amazingly, my drain plug is still in good shape, however, the rest of the car is falling apart. The car will be going up on floor jacks tomorrow. I need to crawl underneath because now it's leaking tranny fluid. The fun never stops with this POS.

tboner

See that little "down" arrow in the lower righthand portion of your screen? If you click on it, it actually allows you to scroll past those posts you don't want to read. Pretty nifty, huh? BTW, if you've got $10K, I've got a nice Intrepid I'll sell you.
  • tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    But you don't own it yet, so how can you sell it, LOL. It is a stick shift, right? Oh yeah, it uses more oil than my 87 LeSabre, nevermind.

Don't take it so personally, I was just yanking your chain. Psst, it's only the internet, so relax and have some fun with it.

But really, it was kinda a dig at Andre. I was just wondering how he missed so many posts in so many topics about your car.

In all seriousness, I hope you get out of your car relatively unscathed. I think you can, but it will require some persistance with Chrysler Finance.

I wish you well.

TB
    I called my lease company yesterday and asked them if they'd be willing to negotiate on the price if I were interested in buying out the lease at lease's end. They said they would be. Terry in real world trade-in values told me to get with him when the time comes and we'd work out a plan. If I work this right, I may be able to get out of this thing without it costing me any more money. I will choose a dealership that I would like to buy a new MPV from and I will agree to purchase a new MPV from them, if they allow me to buyout my lease through them, and then I'll turn around and sell it to a private party. This way I won't have to pay sales tax on the Intrepid. I have a feeling things will work out.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    This will probably sound like I'm jacking you around, but I'm not. You better be careful about selling that piece to a private party. It could end up in small claims court, or worse, with you holding the bag again. What would be the problem with just turning it in at the end of your lease? If it is over mileage, but they know you had a "lemon" doesn't that allow you room to "threaten" away some or all of the over mileage rip off they might want?
    whether accused or convicted, has no bearing to the lender writing the lease, even if it's a DCC lease. The lending agent didn't make the car, they just support the paper.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,684
    ...is it really worth it to lease a car (ANY car, not just an Intrepid) for that long of a period? I thought leases were better for people who traded in every year or two, and kept their mileage low?

For instance, my Intrepid ended up being $2000 down and $347 a month for 60 months. It's warrantied through 5 years/100K miles. If it totally self-destructs after the 60th payment, I could just walk away from it if I wanted to and it wouldn't cost me a cent, or in a best-case scenario, it might cover a minimal down payment on a new car. Would a 5-year lease really save much on a monthly payment?
    or longer lease, but it really is a slam to your wallet.

Many dealers push 60-78 (yes, 78) month leasing and the problem is that the residual that is used is simply fictious. On a $22,000 Intrepid, there is simply no way the car will be worth $8-9K after 6 years of driving. The remainder of the lease payment that isn't part of that $14,000 that you "financed" is additional profit and money factor markup.

I've written leases that gave the dealer over $5,000 in finance reserve alone - that doesn't count the profit on the sale of the car (front end gross).

For instance, on a 66 month lease (seems very popular lately), using a lease price (capital cost) of $22,000 with an $8,000 residual, standard money factoring would add about $2,500 in lease charges to the $14K remaining. That's a $250 payment if you didn't put any cash down.

I've seen lease paymenst with the same terms with a $400 payment. There's $9,900 extra in there! ($150 x 66)

The only leases I have ever recommended for consumer is short term (24-30 mo) leases with very little down on a vehicle with a HUGE residual factor at 24 mo (like 55-70%). The Ford Expedition was in this arena in '97 when it came out. It had a 2 year residual of 74% and I leased one with first pmt down for $340 a month - a $32,000 truck.
    ....my payments on a 60 month lease ended up being $325, while if I would've bought the car and financed it for 60 months the payments would've been about $450 a month. At the time, our monthly household income was considerably less than it is now, but in retrospect, we probably could've afforded the payments. The extra $125 a month would've left me owning the car after 60 months, instead of being in the situation I'm in now. I will never lease another vehicle, though I suppose leases are still good for some, depending on the situation.

My intrepid isn't bad enough for me to worry about the person I sell it to taking me to court. I estimate the oil consumption at about one quart per every 1000-1500 miles. The upper tranny line going into the radiator is leaking a bit right where it connects. Not a big deal. I can fix this myself. The car actually still drives nice and quiet, and it still looks pretty good too. This car just hasn't aged well with me. I've outgrown it, and I'm ready to move up to a minivan.
    Leases are weird and only fit a few consumers - they really work for folks who own business and are able to either residualize the car down to nothing (A REALLY COOL TRICK) or write off the cost of the lease and/or depreciate the vehicle in their books.
    ......my family and I have outgrown this car. Keeping it isn't an option, so I'll just have to do the best I can when the lease expires.
This discussion has been closed.