Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oxygen Sensor

code2319code2319 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Hello All,

This morning my wife took my Tundra out to the post office and got about 1-2 miles when the Check Egine light came on. She turned around and came back home and I took my 2001 Tundra 2WD SR5 AccessCab to the nearest Toyota dealership's service department.

An hour and a half later I was informed I was ready to go. When asked what happened, they said the Oxygen sensor had failed and they warrantied the repair. I asked what caused it to fail and they had no clue, but added it wasn't uncommon on the Tundra V8 line.

Since TundraSolutions does not allow non-paying subscribers and guest to do searches or posting in the Technical section of that site (I understand perfectly, as it would be a valuable resource), I am looking elsewhere.

Has any other Tundra owner had a problem with an O2 sensor, or any other sensor going out? I have about 27K miles on the truck, of which 90% are non-rush-hour interstate driving. I change the oil regularly with fully synthetic oil and performance filter and never had any problems.

Last Saturday, I got lazy and instead of changing the oil myself, I took the 7-quarts of Mobile one and appropriate Mobile 1 filter to this very same dealership to have them change it (and they did for $9.95!). I also had them rotate the tired, but they screwed that up by rotating only two of the four tires.

Just curious. No problems until after I have someone do something. Coincidence?

Comments

• dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I know two people who own a Tundra and they have both had the same problem. One fellow twice. I can't verify, however, if this is a "common" problem.

There is a Tundra board here at Edmunds. I'd post the same question in there and see if you solicit any responses.

Best of luck,
    Dusty
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    just wondering but the tundras take 7 qts of oil for a change?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    You might want to check over on the Owner's Clubs boards in the Toyota Owners Clubs.

You'll find the Toyota Truck Owners: Problems & Solutions topic there!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• kartman0kartman0 Member Posts: 17
    No, seven quarts are not required. A little over six quarts. In order to 'be prepared' I brought more than what was needed. :)

BTW, I thought I has posted to the Tundra board. Did I not do this? The 'You are here' says Town Hall>Toyota>Tundra. I'll post the same in the Owner's Clubs, too!
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    I've just had my 3rd O2 sensor failure, this time out of warranty, so I'm replacing both remaining ones myself since I'm sure the 4th will go soon. I've read that it's about a $200 repair at the dealer(each), or $150 for the parts-only, but I ordered the parts online for $116 each and will be doing it myself. Looks real easy, they're attached to the exhaust at 4 points, two in front of the catalytic converters, two after them. The only problem you will have is testing to see which ones are bad.
    So yes, this is a "common" problem with the Denso sensors Toyota uses. But if this is all the major trouble I've had with my '00 Tundra in 40,000 miles of heavy duty use (towing/hauling daily) I can't really complain. Other "problem areas" would be the drum brakes, that got out of round at only 20K miles, but they fixed that for free. Oh yeah, my belt is also a little squeaky when cold. Replacing that with a Goodyear Gatorback belt for $27.
  • jclanierjclanier Member Posts: 1
    If your o2 sensor is giving you problems, don't just buy a new one, as it may be covered under emissions for 72,000 miles. Not sure about this but worth looking in to.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    they won't cover it, even though they probably should.
  • janseyhulljanseyhull Member Posts: 1
    I too have had the sensor problem, mine at 70,000 miles on a 2001. After my check engine light came on I took it in and they want to replace all 4 sensors at a cost of about $800.00 total.
    My question, any harm done in not having these replaced for a while?
  • code2319code2319 Member Posts: 2
    Yessir, now the O2 sensor on the passenger's side on the exhaust manifold has failed. Also, the sensor froze in the manifold and they are replacing the exhaust manifold, too. I'm in an insulting Chevy rental (against my will) as the repair will take +5 hours and it was 3PM when they made the determination.

So, being that it has only been two months since my first O2 sensor I wonder if this isn't a chronic problem we are seeing. Two sensors gone bad and only at 28400 miles in 18 months of ownership for this vehicle I bought brand new.

BTW, the sensor and manifold repair bill (under warranty) will be about $600.
  • brews1brews1 Member Posts: 40
    Just picked up a new V8 Tundra. Is the O2 Sensor an ongoing issue or has it been fixed on the 2003.
  • truckguytruckguy Member Posts: 15
    At about 45,000 miles (2000 Tundra) one of the O2 sensors failed. I asked the dealership if this was covered under the emissions warranty, they said no. I asked what would happen if I didn't replace the sensor. They said it could damage the catalytic converter. I asked if the catalytic converter became damaged as a result, would IT be covered under the emissions warranty. They said yes. Go figure.
  • dkt99dkt99 Member Posts: 2
    Had one go bad at 17,000 and another go bad at 23,000 miles. Cronic problem with this type engine and they are aware of it. If not repaired the computer will adjust your fuel flow and you will get diminished gas milage.
  • coolguy2coolguy2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 tundra w/42000 miles and the first o2 sensor recently went out. Parts and labor cost nearly $300. Luckily I had the extended warranty and only had to pay the $100 deductible. This really suck, but I guess it is better than paying the full $300. I also checked on the emission warranty on the sensors. It appears that the sensors only have a 36,000 mile or 3 year warranty on it. Other than that by tundra is running smoothly. By the way Toyota had to replace the entire calibers and brake system on my Tundra at 30,000 miles. I knew there was a problem when the truck vibrates when I use the brakes. The dealership told me that the reason it vibrates was because the calibers was too small for the truck, whatever that means. Anyone with similar vibration problems should get it check out as soon as possible before you have to pay to get it fix.
  • reamfamilyreamfamily Member Posts: 3
    Both of my O2 sensors have been replaced under warranty. I have approx. 22,000 miles on the 2001 Tundra V8 SR5. When I asked the service writer what may have caused the problem, he said it could be the gas that I'm using, which is either Mobil, Shell, or Chevron 87 octane. Has anyone heard of poor gas quality causing O2 sensors to go out or is this simply a common problem with this engine?
  • skyking10skyking10 Member Posts: 1
    I recently replaced two O2 sensors in my 2000 Tundra V8. The first failed in February at 49,000 miles and the second almost exactly 1 month later at 51,000 miles. Both were covered under warranty. The service rep told me that the O2 sensors frequently fail in the V8 engines. The sensor in the exhaust manifold is particularly problematic, since removal often strips the threads in the manifold, which must then be replaced as well. Luckily that didn't happen for me. That's the only problem I've experienced in the 2 1/2 years I've owned this truck.
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    The service rep is full of it. Your comment.
    "The service rep told me that the O2 sensors frequently fail in the V8 engines."

My last truck had 150,000 miles on it before I traded it in and never had to replace an o2 sensor. That was a 97 model year. My current truck has 50,000 miles and no o2 sensor problems. There seems to be a trend with the Toyota's.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    We have to remember that the "service rep" at most dealers does not seem to acknowledge the existance of any make of vehicle other than what they are "servicing". Therefore, there is no need to mention their potentially superior attributes. 'Course, they will be glad to pass on any fables of shortcommings in other brands.

What is that... oh yeah, perspective.
    ;-)
  • mzopinionatedmzopinionated Member Posts: 7
    My husband had a 2000 Tundra by 50K miles we had replaced 3 O2 sensors. He now as an 02 Tundra with less than 27K and has had to already replace 2 O2 sensors. By the way we use Amoco gas almost exclusively
  • gwilliams46gwilliams46 Member Posts: 2
    2000 TUNDRA V8 77000 BOTH RIGHT SIDE BAD. IT SOUNDS TO ME THAT JUST THE HEATERS ARE GOING OUT. WILL THAT STILL CAUSE MPG TO GO DOWN. SEEMS TO ME THAT AFTER THEY HEAT UP ALL SHOULD BE WELL. I ALSO DON'T THINK THAT WOULD HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH FUEL TYPE. IS ANYONE HAVING BETTER RESULTS FROM SOME AFTER MARKET SENSOR (ADVENTEX) DENSEO DOESN'T SOUND TO RELIABLE.
  • mzopinionatedmzopinionated Member Posts: 7
    my husband has found out that yes the O2 sensor will make the gas mileage go down.
  • lagitanelagitane Member Posts: 25
    I just bought a 2003 V-8 Tundra. The O2 thing is really scaring me. I'm in way over my head on this truck as it is. Don't need some chronic repair problem. Have also heard that many Tundra owner are experiencing brake problems. Anybody know if they have fixed any of these nasty and expensive little snafus for 2003, or is this something else I have to look forward to down the road. If so, this Tundra may be the last Toyota I own. Getting pretty disillusioned with feedback I'm getting from other Tundra owners and a few mechanics who have worked on them.
  • gwilliams46gwilliams46 Member Posts: 2
    Don't be!! 2003 should have all the fixes. Brakes should be bigger 2-21/2". And I have heard that Denseo or Toyota has upgraded the O2 sensors for 2003.
  • dpavadpava Member Posts: 1
    This may be a stupid question but what the heck. How do you know when your O2 sensor goes bad? I have a 2001 Tundra and it is still under warranty.
  • mavftwrthmavftwrth Member Posts: 1
    The only way to know if your O2 is bad is getting a diag. on your trucks computer. Your check engine light will stay on everytime you start your truck when the O2 goes. BTW this happened to me at about 30k.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    I too have experienced a failed O2 sensor on my 2000 Tundra V8 with 37,000 miles. I first got the check engine light and suspected an O2 sensor malfunction. I took the truck to AutoZone which does free OBDII diagnostic scans. The trouble code came up as P0135 bank 1 sensor 1 O2 heater circuit malfunction. Since it is just the heater circuit that has failed, I haven't been in any hurry to replace it - it has been about 2 months since I first got the CEL. I haven't noted any change in performance or fuel economy, and if anything, my gas mileage is getting better (could just be the warmer temperatures though). Anyway, the O2 heater circuit only comes into play during the first few minutes after you start up the engine. The O2 sensor only works when it is at full operating temperature (~600 deg. F) and the heater reduces the time until the O2 sensor is at operating temperature. This is primarily only an emissions concern since the ECU stays in open loop mode until it is getting valid inputs from the O2 sensors, then it shifts to closed loop control which is a little more precise.

The O2 sensors are covered by Toyota's standard 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty unless you live in CA, then I think they are covered 3 yr/50,000 miles under the special CA warranty requirements.

Toyota issued Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) EG019-02 on 10/3/02 due to the frequent failures of the pre-cat O2 heater circuit failures (trouble codes P0135 and P0155). The TSB states "The oxygen sensors have been improved to correct this condition" and the part numbers have been changed as well. This applies to applicable Tundras as well as Sequoias up to the O2 sensor production change.

I haven't checked on the price of a new O2 sensor at Toyota yet, but the Bosch replacment sensor at Autozone costs about $70.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem.

Alan
  • mcandelamcandela Member Posts: 1
    My Tundra is less than two years old and has 44k. It did not pass inspection because the O2 sensors were bad. There are four O2 sensors and the inspection report showed that both bays failed. The O2 sensors are approximately $150 each. When the mechanic at the inspection facility called to check availability of the part he was told that he needed to send me to the dealer because they had been experiencing issues with the O2 sensors. After replacing the O2 sensors the vehicles were still failing inspection. I called the customer support line and they were insensitive to this issue and have basically told me that it was my problem.

I have owned Toyotas for the past twenty years because of their reliability and quality. This is the second issue that I have had with my Tundra. The first was the brakes. They went out at 37K miles and Toyota has experienced problems with them and has since upgraded to a heavier duty brake system. They told me that Toyota was constantly improving the quality of their products and since neither of these issues are safety issues that there was no recall and I did not qualify for replacement.

I may be a bit sensitive to these issues because my expectation of Toyota is so high, but I will never purchase another Toyota again. My wife's BMW runs great and their service is outstanding.

I guess I'm a BMW man now.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Our '99 Toyota Avalon is an extreme disappointment. Out first Toyota product, it was selected in part because of the reports we'd gotten from many Toyota owners. I'm sure most of them were honest, but I think, like GM owners, many have begun to arrogantly think that they've got the best and everything else must be less.

Our Avalon cannot compare in assembly quality to my '93 Nissan Sentra, or for that matter, my recently purchased Dakota truck. We've had problems with the power windows, engine sludging, sway bar links, ABS brakes, the transmission is now slipping at 54,000, and lots-and-lots of rattles, buzzes, and squeaks.

And why did I not buy a Tundra? Well, in part again because of our experience with the Avalon. Our dealer isn't overly enthusiastic, either. But mainly because it seemed more time than not that when I took the Avalon in for service I see mostly Tundras in for service with brake, engine, transmission, vibration problems.

Each unit manufactured speaks for itself, not for the brand as a whole. Toyota's are probably better built than many other models, but they are not infallable. All Toyota models are not cast from the same stone. I don't think Toyota makes their trucks like they make a Camry.

Dusty
  • madreloco1madreloco1 Member Posts: 1
    My first sensor went out at 49,000, couldn't afford to get it fixed so I left it alone. when I had to get it inspected it wouldn't pass so had to put out 200+ and the 50.00 inspection fee plus had to drive for a couple of days to get the engine lite to go off for the mechanic. I also took my Tundra in at around 30,000 and told the dealer that the steering wheel would vibrate really bad when I was using the brakes to slow down.They said they couldn't get it to do it so they didn't fix it. it is still doing that and its out of warranty now. Also when I took the truck in for the o2 sensor, i was having a really bad transmission problem, every once in a while it would sound like i hit a huge hole or something, they couldnt get it to do it again either, after that it hasnt done it again for me either????
    NOW, the second sensor has gone out, 1 month after the first one was fixed. I am a single woman and on limited income this really sucks. I have driven toyotas since i was 16, and the last two a camry (bought new) and the tundra is a major disappointment. Calling the 800 number tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.