Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan

Comments

• boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    Remember Colorado is SNOW country. Any rust free 4x4 truck there is worth $$$$$$$. A 2 wd is worth nada there.

Your in Fla. right? A 4x4 truck in Fla. ain't worth much more than a 2wd.

BEST BET.....The HECK with that EVIL dealer !
    Just drive your truck to Colorado or NY around winter time and sell it yourself and you can get even MORE $$$$$

Then buy a REAL truck ......a CHEVY.......Show that evil dealer who's the boss!

BETTER BET.....Take that nice shiny rig to Jolies house in Alaska ! All vehicles go for CRAZY money up there !
    Bet you could get $12,000 CASH money.........
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    You ain't kidding, Nissan and Toyota trucks do ALL the money up here. They bring NUTSO money. If its clean, runs, and is 4WD its worth somewhere around high book. The Nissan dealer would pay decent money for that truck up here.
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    I lived in WPB Fla. for 10 looong years !
    I used to see a lot of 2wd with those fat daddy field/mud tires down there.........

Plain and simple.........A dealer ain't gonna give ya squat..........

Get a price from Terry over at RWTV threads, shine that bad boy up, put a fat 5 liner in the Palm Bch Post, and wait by the phone !
  • mcscjtmcscjt Member Posts: 17
    I am one week into my Radiant Silver KC LE with Captain Chairs, Big Tow Package, and Bed Divider. I really wanted Smoke but my dealer couldn't locate one in my trim and I didn't want to wait any longer.
    So far, I have absolutely no complaints. This is a very solid truck that drives real smooth. I have no squeaks or rattles, no brake dust, no chipped paint or bedliner, and the RF radio reception is great.
    I travel through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel each week and I never have lost reception or sound quality in any way.
    This area is Ford country and I get looks everyday...people keep telling me how sharp this truck is and how big and tough it looks...I'm still smiling and enjoying the exhaust...it is music to my ears.
    By the way, I just read a news report stating that Nissan had it best sales month ever in the U.S. ; mostly due to sales of the Titan.
  • mikeomikeo Member Posts: 5
    One month and 5k on it; and doing a lot of rock walking, the ground clearance and stiffness of the frame on my LE 4x4 big tow are fully as big of features as the power and towing guts. So far the only glitch is the tone loss on the RF radio, but having XM radio makes that a moot point - XM is so fine that we don't even bother with the CD.

Local dealer of bed caps/tonneau has a SE, and I've ordered the ARE LSII tonneau (1k installed) because its contured for strength (and style) - you need to specify if you have the bed track system or not when ordering.
  • davebucyrusdavebucyrus Member Posts: 3
    Our Titan has 8500 miles, 2 mos old and has the warped rotor problem. Dealer says Nissan will replace pads (on national back order) but will only turn rotors not replace them. Obviously we don't want this option. Do you have a service bulletin # that authorizes rotor replacement. Also, the above is a moot point if it did not fix your problem. How is your Titan now? We love this truck except for brake problems.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Do not agree to their proposed "solution" to you warped rotor problem. Turning the rotors will fix your problem for a month, and it will only become worse. The reason is that your rotors got warped because they are too thin to begin with. Turning the rotors only removes more metal and makes them even more prone to warpage.

If Nissan wants to fix this warpage problem they should replace the brake rotors with thicker, sturdier rotors that will not warp easily. Titan truck has substantial curb weight and it takes big brakes to bring this truck to a stop from high speed. This is especially true with a large 300+ HP engine which only encourages fast acceleration and fast driving, and subsequent heavy braking.

My compact 1995 Nissan truck still has the original front rotors at 86K miles (rear brakes are drum brakes) and they have never been turned because they are not warped or grooved. I changed one set of brake pads and so far have no problems). I drive this truck very conservatively, but I also pull trailers with it which places additional load on the truck's brakes.
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    I think Nissan has issues a TSB (or even a recall) and they are replacing the calipers,pads, and rotors with new ones.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Hey P100: First off, I'd like to say that I enjoy your simple, honest and to-the-point posts. It seems as if you have some expertise in the auto field.

Secondly, I've read a few of your posts on the Mazda 626 boards, as I'm helping my friend check out an '01 LX 4-cyl. that she wants to buy. Unfortunately it's an automatic.

You noted that the V-6 626s from 1998-02 used solid valve lifters instead of hydraulic. Do the solid lifters apply to the four-cylinder version as well? If so then I might as well tell my friend not to buy that '01.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    dude...this is for the titan. go to the zoom-zoom board.
    To my best knowledge all 1998-on 626 engines have solid valve lifters which require periodic adjustment. This was Mazda's unadvertised solution to the hydraulic valve lifter noise problems.

Question for Bowke28: when do you expect 05 Titans to arrive at dealerships? Are there any changes to the existing specs?
    no changes that i know of yet. expect 2005 models to roll in next month.
  • scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    Incorrect!!!
    Nissan has a TSB # NTBOO-033A that only calls for the replacement of the pads. WITH the same ones! The problem with the brakes is sticking caliper slides/bolts. I have had this done twice now in 12200 miles. The first time, they replaced the rotors. The second time, I was informed that Nissan will no longer be replacing the pads under warranty if you exceed 12000 miles!!! Ridiculous IMO because it's pretty obvious that the brakes are undersized.
    If the brake problem is seen more in Titans that are primarily city driven. I've got 9100 miles on mine and its fine, no trouble at all with the brakes.......well, other than the low brake pedal that I've grown used to. I tow trailers quite a bit with my truck, thus putting more stress on the brakes. Just a thought.
  • accumacaccumac Member Posts: 16
    Sorry I don't have the TSB number, I looked over the invoice and it isn't on the invoice. I have about 18,500 miles on the Titan now and I still love it! My brake problem has not reoccured. I am disappointed but not surprised with some of the service issues, I still have a squeaky dash and a tailgate flange that doesn't fit tightly. I blame the dealer as well as Nissan for not making the repairs obvious to the dealer. I had to drive my BMW ('03 325) for a couple of days while the wife used the Titan and I was glad to have my Titan back, I average 150 to 200 miles a day and I really missed the plush seats and high ride visibility. I also think that the BMW is starting to warp it's second set of rotors, 15K mi. It appears to me that everybody skimps on brakes, tries to go with the thinnest possible rotor that they can get a way with then increase the thickness as necessary if they don't hold up. As a mechanic in my earlier years we used to turn rotors and drums on a regular basis and never see them again. Then as I moved on to the imports I noticed that a model would come out with solid rotors that were too thin then the next year they would be twice the size and vented (Saab Turbo) then no more warped brakes. I still give the Titan 2 thumbs up and keep my fingers crossed.
    I'm with you on the 2 thumbs up. I love my Titan, can't think of a better vehicle to drive. Unfortunatly we pack on 4500 or so miles per month, so we ended up having to buy a Ford Focus to offset some of the miles and gas. I drive the Focus more than the Titan now days, but I do look forward to driving the Titan.

Just returned last week from a camping trip, the Titan managed a consistant 16 mpg towing a 2800 lb popup camping trailer. That's over the mountains and some city driving, not too shabby.
    Keep looking, there is a new TSB that replaces that one. It probably hasn't shown up yet but it is there. Some guys over at titantalk have seen it.
  • foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    Well, I'm glad your truck isn't giving you any problems. I was considering the exact truck. I was going back and forth because of some of the reports. I hear it has a 1500 dollar rebate. I am in Ford country. I seem to see more and more titans being driven out here. I seen quite a few new f150. I think if Titan can hold up over the years in durability and resale then it'll probably be considered more than a fad. But, I'll probably make up my mind before the rebate has disappeared on the truck.
  • scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    I will believe it when I see it. The most recent and only TSB for the Armada/Titan brakes is the one I stated earlier that was released on May 28, 2004. You wouldn't happen to have the TSB for the one you talk about do you?
    Hey there, I am about one month into it now and still absolutely NO problems to report. I really like the spray-in bedliner with track system. I even got a bed-divider which I use all the time. It's a lot more convenient than tying everything down. The leather captain chairs with memory seating and power pedals are sweet.

I keep looking for problems with it. I often turn the radio off to listen for any squeaks. I check the front wheels everyday for brake dust. I have my co-worker listen to the radio with me while we go through the tunnels to see if the reception fades. And I check the paint job and bedliner regularly. I was given a complimentary protection package so I doubt there will be any paint issues.

I'm also averaging around 14.1 mpg in mixed driving and expecting it to improve a little as it breaks in. The exhaust was a little loud to me during the test drive, but now I only notice it with hard acceleration.

The hiss from the AC is very mild and doesn't bother me at all. This AC unit is actually much quieter than my Lexus GX. It gives you good cold air without a lot of fan noise. In fact, (after the initial 2 minutes for the cold air to kick in) I usually keep the fan setting on #1, the lowest setting even when its 95 degrees and 90% humidity which is all summer long here.

As many have stated on other forums, the F150 is the benchmark. Nissan has made a very good first effort and I expect them to continuing improving it each year.

I guess if I wanted to play it safe, I would choose the F150. But I have been drawn to the chrome face ever since the Armada and Titan came out. I really wanted my new vehicle to stand out from the crowd. I tried to get my wife to go with the Armada but she felt it was too big for her.

Is the Titan a fad? I doubt it since the Armada, new Pathfinder, and new Frontier will all have the same chrome face. By next summer, it'll be everywhere. I considered waiting for the new Frontier this fall, but figured I'd have to pay close to sticker if I wanted one before the new year.

The only options that I would have gladly paid for but were not already on my car are the side airbags and the rear sensors. Almost every big SUV has rear sensors/camera as part of their top trim. It should come standard with every Titan and Armada LE and I expect that they'll add it in the future.
  • davebucyrusdavebucyrus Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all of you who responded to my concerns about brake pad and disc problems.
      You guys must be lead footing it, I am getting consistently 16 MPG at 75-85 MPH with cruise on when possible.
      Tonight at Costco, I had the air in my tires replaced with nitrogen. They are doing this free on non Costco tires till August 30. There seems to be several advantages to nitrogen. A Google search will list them for you: less variation in tire pressure (hot/cold), less air migration thru tires, less corrosion of rims, less oxidation of tires, less chance of explosion in event of fire.
       Apparently Commercial fleets have used N2 for several years and airliners use it to prevent moisture from collection and freezing inside. I'm not sure its worth $5/tire as some charge, but for free, its worth a try. They installed green valve caps to remind us to refill with nitrogen.
    Well, It's good hearing this from a consumer instead of a salesperson. I would like my new truck to stand out. I did test drive the Titan. I was very impressed with it handling, agility, and speed. It fitted in with my driving style. I think the Titan will be a great truck. Only time wlll reveal this. I agree it should come with side airbags and rear sensors. I've heard on vehicles like full size trucks and suvs that the mirrors are exactly allowing you to see a whole lot.
    Larger mirrors do help. The Titan split mirrors that I have took a little getting used to, but now I really like the ability to see my blind spots. They also help me check to see if I parked straight.

I just get a little nervous when backing up. Always afraid something or someone is right behind me. The tailgate prevents you from seeing directly behind you. So, I think the rear sensor would be a great safety feature.

I recently saw a news special on toddlers run over by SUVs and trucks while backing out of the driveway. Apparently this happens quite often...just like kids that are left in hot cars...I get sick when I hear about these things.
    looks like it doesn't replace the rotors, but is different from the one you listed above.

"The TSB# is NTB04-066A. Correction: It dose not replace the calipers.

It replaces the sliding pin, brake pads, rotor and the torque member."

This quote is from an owner who is getting this TSB done when the parts come in.
    Well, that's definitely a good reason to have those sensors. The biggest vehicle I own is a nissan quest 97. It's nowhere near as big as the Titan. I realize that about the tailgate when I was taking it for a test drive. I didn't see that special. I definitely going strongly consider the sensors. I have small kids. I really didn't get to test the large mirrors. I've heard people complain about the mirrors. I think I'll probably do a little more research. I'm not going to be using my truck for a lot of heavy duty work. I'll just be using for day to day activities. I may haul some things around at times. I don't know if I'll be using for family trips because of the gas prices. I appreciate the helpful information.
    I like the big tow mirrors on mine, I don't know why others complain about them. They work very well to eliminate blind spots in day to day driving, yes they are different and take a little getting used to, but I wouldn't want the smaller mirrors.

My husband has a dually with just regular small mirrors and he's hit more stuff while backing that truck up (once to the tune of $2500 worth of damage to the truck).

I've backed into ONE thing since I've owned the Titan and that was a log 5 days after I bought it. Now I have a pretty good sense of where the rear end is and I've learned to use the mirrors more.

For the most part the Titan is just a whatever we need it for truck. I drive a Focus on a daily basis and my husband drives his Ram for business, he drives the Titan back and forth to work. We also use it to tow our popup camper.

To each his own, but I find my Titan to be a great family vehicle and its a blast to drive. (it must be since we've packed on 9300 miles in 2 1/2 months!)
    As long as other full size truck manufacturers offer hefty rebates, there will be good deals and rebates on the TITAN too. Full size trucks are priced pretty close to each other with the same equipment. Right now GM is offering high rebates and incentives on Silverado 1500 crew cab pickups - I believe something like $ 5000. So if you buy the truck at invoice, you get about $ 9K off the sticker. I saw 2004 Silverado Z71 crews cab pickups with sticker price of $ 36K advertised for $ 26.9K. Given these price wars, Nissan must provide buyer incentives as well. Currently I see TITANS advertised at $ 5K below the MSRP (same as Toyota Tundra).
  • majordisastermajordisaster Member Posts: 2
    Just bought my first modern full-size truck. Love it. Paid $23,300 at Atlanta dealer who was willing to deal over the phone. I got a great truck with a minimum of hassle. This thing feels like it could pull a barge up a river. Quiet, strong, twitchy throttle, though. This truck towers over most every truck on the road. Takes some getting used to, but I love it so far. No problems.
    I told my husband that the jumpy throttle was driving me crazy. His reply "The truck isn't jumpy, its eager" I just laughed. He has a V10 Ram but prefers the Titan, he loves to get some young kid next to him in a jacked up truck, he'll blow them away. He's worse than a teenager when he drives the Titan.
    Well, you are one of the first people I have seen not complaining about the gas milieage. I am definitely glad to hear another good report without complaints. How is it off road when you go camping and fishing? Did you get the offroad package? Have you had any problems in your 9300 miles? What's your gas mileage been averaging?
    Well, its not my Focus when it comes to gas mileage, but its not horrible. Let's see, I'm getting about 17 mpg empty on the hwy doing 70ish and about 16 mpg towing our 3000 lb popup camper. Best mileage was about 18 mpg on a long trip, worst mileage was 14 mpg which was some city driving, some hwy, and a whole lotta offroad (logging road).

I love the truck, after today my respect for it has soared. I put that truck through a ton of crap and it never complains. Right now its sitting in the yard full of firewood hooked to a trailer that's full of firewood. It towed it all home flawlessly and that included 18 miles of offroad driving (very rough, VERY dusty, nasty logging road).

We've had it about everywhere offroad, no real deep mud but we did have it on the beach through the sand. It was great, best truck we've had. I do have the offroad pkg, but don't have the 17" wheels, somebody swiped them before we bought the truck, so I have 18s which is fine.

As far as problems go, well, I had the 4LO sensor problem that most people have had, no real biggie and I've had a problem with the driver's side power window, still waiting on a part for that. That's it for problems, its been a really great truck. Will turn 9700 miles tomorrow.
    to this day, i simply cant understand people that complain about fuel mileage after buying a 300+ HP V8 truck.
    Its human nature I guess. We have the Focus for gas mileage, the Titan for when we need to tow or haul something and want to take everybody. The Ram for the heavy hauling.

My dad claims to get 28 mpg with his 2001 Ram 2500 Cummins/atuo. I call major BS, he also says he gets 16 mpg towing a 22' travel trailer. Again, I call BS, especially since we hauled a 5000 lb horse trailer with that truck and couldn't get over 8 mpg doing 60 mph. I love how some people feel the need to inflate things like fuel economy.

My Titan isn't great on fuel, but I don't care, its great at anything I ask it to do.
    why does the titan seem to have some type of mechanical problem? Is it because it is a first year truck? Some people blame it on the new plant in Canton. Are there such devices as the turbonator that give you better gas mileage to your vehicle?
    Sometimes have problems, its just the way it goes. Its still just nuts and bolts. I'm VERY impressed with how the truck has held up, especially after 2 days of in and out of the woods. Its worked hard and never complains.

As for fuel mileage, well, if you buy a truck with a 300+ hp V8 you can't expect good mileage, just the way it goes. The truck suits me and my family. To each his own.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    "Are there such devices as the turbonator that give you better gas mileage to your vehicle?"

That was a joke......right?
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    Your dad's cliam of 28 mpg is clearly inflated but 16 towing a 22' travel trailer is typical hwy milage for that load. Empty is 20-22. If you only got 8 towing 5000 lb then have it checked out. I regularly got 10-11 on the road towing 5000 with my 8.1 gas V8. NOTHING should be as low as 8 for only 5000 lb
    It has a satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.It's a device that's connected to your air filter. I don't know if it works. I can get my money back if it doesn't work. I really don't have anything to lose on the deal. It is possible with the kind of technology we have in this day and time. I do think the Titan gets pretty good gas mileage for a v8 truck with 300 horsepower. I really didn't expect it to get thirty miles a gallon.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    There's an archived discussion about them. Look it up. If these things existed they would be standard equipment on ALL VEHICLES. Once they start selling something like that THAT WORKS everybody will insist on having them. It would be impossible to sell a car without one.
    When we borrowed the truck to pull the horse trailer it was fairly new >20k on it. The horse trailer (like a travel trailer) is like a huge wind block, nothing gets good fuel economy towing that. Our V10s got about 9-10 mpg. My Titan got about 10ish towing the same travel trailer. I never believe anything he says about mileage, he's full of it and is the type that has to best everyone.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    So far, no Crew Cab I have been in has been comfortable in the backseat, with the exception of the Tundra, but I don't consider that a Full Size Truck. Does anyone have any experience with the Titan Crew Cab back seat comfort on long trips? How is the comfort of the back seats when seating two adults in the back for a long trip? Is it hard on the back? Do you sit straight up, like on an old school bus, or is comfortable?
    Maybe, you should go by a dealership and sit in the backseat of a Titan crewcab. Try the cushion and the leather. They have a lot of room on the backseat. I haven't been in a long trip in one. You're a Tundra isn't really a fullsize truck. I went for a test drive in one with my daugter on the backseat. She went right to sleep. We weren't in the vehicle more than 15 minutes. I sat in the backseat. I'm 6ft tall. I had plenty of legroom to spare. I have heard one or two complain about the lumbar support, but that's on the front row. The back row angles back for comfortable sitting positions. Go test drive one and have someone sit on the backseat.I think it has better seating and space than the F150 backrow.
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    It is much better then the F150, there is no comparison in terms of back seat comfort. The F150 is to upright for back seat comfort. I have sat in a Titan, test driven a Titan, but have not had the opportunity to go on a long drive/trip. Thus, the reason for posting the topic on this forum. There might be some people who have experience with the back seat in terms of comfort for adults on a long trip. Again, so far, the only Crew Cab I have been in on a long trip was the Tundra, and it was very nice in the back seat.
    I've had my Titan CC for 3 months and my kids don't complain about the back seat. My son is almost as tall as me and he says its more comfortable than the Explorer we traded in. Only thing he gripes about is the seatbelts, Nissan didn't put adjustable rear seatbelts on the Titan. Lots of leg room, seems to be fairly comfy, my kids would complain if it wasn't. I haven't ridden in the back (I get carsick) so I don't know for sure how it is other than what the kids have said.
    I was sure the seatbelts were adjustable. I'm going to check that out. I thought carsick meant you get sick no matter where you were riding in the vehicle. It does have a lot of legroom. The back seat is extremely comfortable. I have ridden in an explorer's back seat. It was a 99 model. The Titan is a 2004. I can't really make a fair comparison. I prefer the leather seats of the Titan over the cushion seats. Some people prefer the cushion. This is a very comfortable truck for the money. I would take long family trips in it. The gas prices might convince you to use a sedan. You can put a hardcover on the bed for the luggage and other items. Many critics say it's like having a truck and suv in one.
    The rear seatbelts in mine are not adjustable, big disappointment. The Explorer I had was a 2004.

I get sick if I ride in a back seat, always have, so I don't do it.
  • derykfderykf Member Posts: 9
    The backseats are why I bought the Titan Crew Cab. The amount of room and comfort is incredible. My kids rode in the back for a 2000 mile roundtrip to Nashville with not a complaint. My oldest won't fit in an extended cab, any manufacturer. The seat position of the Titan makes for a nice ride.
  • ccapccap Member Posts: 40
    Hey BMWDOUG, seeing as that is your username, what other vehicles do you drive. I currently drive a 540i but was think getting a Titan for the Winter. New England Winters can be tough and the BMW was slipping all over the place last year.

I was thinking King cab and it looks like now you can get a really great deal.
    Maybe, you should get a four wheel drive Titan. This is really a nice truck. It has the heart of sports sedan. This is a really good time to get one. They are clearing them out for the 05 models.