Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan

Comments

• p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    And I happen to disagree with you. Every Japanes vehicle I owned which was assembled in Japan had fewer problems than US assembled Japanes vehicles. Without exceptions. So there is something about sloppy US workmanship that is definitely still a factor.
  • cironciron Member Posts: 4
    I'm new to the forum. I LOVE the titan, I'm hopefully going to buy one in a week or two. The only problem I have is the gas prices kind of scare me with this truck.(I know it is not any better on any other full size truck) I've read the titan forums and consumer reviews and they have been extremely helpful. I know it is a BIG 5.6 V8, but you can't expect this truck to get 20-25mpg. If I want that, I need to look at a ford focus or something. My dad has a 04 SE CC 4x4 with big tow and off road packages and he loves it. I probably sold him on the truck a few months ago (telling him everything I knew about the truck.) I was looking at the titan in febuary thru April and then decided to end up with a mitu eclipse gts. Pretty far off from a truck. I got a great deal on it, I thought I would be happy with it, and I was for a while, but I still want a titan. I commute to work and this was a nice little sports car that gets about 26mpg hwy, but it is not very versatile at all. I've felt I have made a mistake in buying it. It is a great car and all with a POOR RESALE VALUE. I would trade my eclipse for the titan, even though I will be a couple thousand upside down. Gas prices will probably not go down anytime soon, if at all. I know I could probably afford it with the titan, but $50+ a fill up is steep. I'm sure there has been people out there in this situation before, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone had some input on this.(what to do, be happy with the titan, which I know I would, and pay alot for gas, or stay with my car or something that is not a truck?) This would be my first truck. thanks.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    About gas mileage, keep your car. The Titan is definatly not fuel efficient, then again none of the 1/2 ton V8 trucks are.

Right now in the winter, running snow tires, idling, and sometimes running 4WD on the hwy I'm getting 16 mpg. The truck's worst empty mileage was 9 mpg city and the best was 19 mpg hwy. Towing the worst was 10 mpg pulling a 7000 lb travel trailer and the best was 17 mpg towing our popup camper.
  • uo2b4x4nuo2b4x4n Member Posts: 5
    This CC Titan,(galaxy black) has been a great performer. The acceleration is remarkable compared to ALL others we test drove and the cornering remains among the top for a 4x4. At around 6000 miles now and zero service issues except for the seatbelt recall. Nissan packaged this truck to appeal to a wide audience of consumers....my wife bought this one for herself.
  • jcullyjcully Member Posts: 2
    I bought my truck 01/2004 and as a whole I love the truck. The titan was the first brand new truck that I have ever purchased. The truck has 9000+ miles and has a few problems. The first and the most frustrating are the windows, they sometimes won't go up or the window motor will sieze. I have had truck in at least five times and they can't fix it. The others, rattles from the dash that seem to be coming from the piece of plastic the extends beyond the speakers on the drivers and passenger sides. I also hear a noise coming from the front end that is very faint and sounds like something is rubbing. I don't think that its the tires since its consistent and I only hear it when the truck is moving. I have also had a few pieces of plastic replaced because they became warped. All of this is very frustrating since I like the truck over all, its the first new car that I have bought, and cause I spent 30K on it. Any words of wisdom
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    Words of wisdom? How about "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression"

Once you become disenchanted with a vehicle it's time to give it up. Just like if you catch you're spouse cheating. Will you ever be confident about thier integrity?

When I bought my '01 GMC 2500 I thought it was the greatest thing. When it had 10k mi on it and had it's third transmission in the first 6 months I didn't love it anymore. I kept it for 3 more years and it had a few more minor problems and each one just confirmed my suspicions; that it was a P.O.S.

I traded it in July for a F150 that I think should be faster (the GMC had LOTS more motor) but I love the not-a-hair-out-of-place quality.

I've read complaints about quality issues with the '04 F150s and if I'd gotten one with a problem I wouldn't keep it for 3 years.

The Titan I test drove had lots of dash noise and front end noise. If it didn't I might have bought it. You can't always tell something's junk before you buy it but once you know it is then it's time to scrap it.

kip
  • jcullyjcully Member Posts: 2
    Good info. I believe that have found the holes you were describing. I don't have any rust yet and I don't want to void my warranty I Also have the track system so I cant see the area. Is their any way to tell if the hole on my truck are bent. Thanks for the help in advance.
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    I'm putting deposit on SE king cab today. The dealership doesn't have the particular vehicile I want, has located it and will have in a few days. Price was $200 under invoice minus $2000 rebate...
  • flipperflipper Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Titan end of May '04. It was making a whooshing noise from the passenger side air vent (sounds like someone taking their last breath) when we bought it but the dealer said he would "make it right." Well, after having it in the service department once a month for 4 months in a row and getting no satisfaction from the dealer or Nissan Customer Service, I filed a complaint with the BBBAuto Line. A factory rep came out yesterday to inspect the vehicle and his report states that this noise "is common to the Nissan Titan." The noise appears when the AC is on and occurs every 10 to 15 seconds. Has anyone experienced this problem?
    Yup, my last Titan did it very loud, I ignored it. The new Titan does it a little bit, not as bad as the old one, the tech said its normal. Just one of those quirks you have to learn to live with.
  • pithhelmetpithhelmet Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone -

I am a VERY proud owner of a 2004 titan -
    silver CC, LE

purchased it on december 4th 2004 -
    VIN reads xxx500588

I LOVE IT!!

I have had NO problems with the truck at all.

I have survived not one accident, but two -
    the second one i was rear-ended while sitting
    at a stop light...

the other driver was doing about 40 mph, and didn't have time to put on his brakes - full speed impact into the back of my truck -

bent my frame in three places (crumple zones)
    bent the bed up - crumpled in the driver side
    of the bed a little...

his car (toyota camry) was completely totalled -
    engine was in the passenger compartment...

i am VERY thankful i was in the titan when
    he hit me - i think any other truck would have
    been heavily damaged from this kind of impact.

my gas milage has actually gotten better
    after 30k miles -
    went up from 16 mpg (average) to 19 mpg

i have pulled my boat around with NO problems
    and i have carried building supplies and
    hurricane debris MANY times to the dump -

I AM A VERY PROUD OWNER OF A TITAN!

thank you nissan!!!
  • shawn0054shawn0054 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a Titan last week. I bought some Silverstar lights to replace the factory lights. I called and they want $75 to change. And the owner's manual say to take it to a dealer. Does anyone know a way to change the bulbs so I don't have to take it to the dealer?
  • jpenkertjpenkert Member Posts: 1
    hi all i just bought a new titan black Se CC.
    i love it. i do wonder if any one has any advice on good upgrades for it. like Exhaust and things like that plus good waxes. this is my first new pickup or car for that matter. and as for who makes it japan or america. no matter who makes it we are human things will go wrong with the truck. get over the American versus japan or german or whoever.
  • joekim01joekim01 Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased LE CC 4X2 last week. I was looking for a coin holder and can't find it. I look through the manual and saw one in the console box but my truck didn't come with one. Is this an option or did my dealer leave this out?

I also noticed a sticker on my inside windshield. It says "REMOVE PGF IN FEB 2005". What's PGF? If anyone has any idea please let me know. Thanks.
  • foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    I thought Nissan would have some deals going with the Titan. They look very week compared to Ford. I thought they would a lot more competitive. You really can't tell the 04 from the 05 model. I wonder if this is it for the rebates. I still think the Titan has the potential of being a really great truck. I wonder if they are going to another year or before they start big diesel Titans like the f350. I am still somewhat concerned about the problems I have been hearing about the Titans. Hopefully, they have been cleared up.
  • rcanturcantu Member Posts: 12
    You are right the rebates aren't as high but if you compare apples to apples you'll notice that the F150 is priced higher for similar features. I was going to buy an F150 but changed my mine. My 04 Smoke LE Crew Cab stickered at $33240 which has everything except side airbags, nav, and dvd. The F150 I looked at was a Lariat w/ everything except Dvd, no nav avail. It was stickered around $36000 or so. So around $3000 more. If you look around hard you can get 1 for $9k off sticker including rebates = about $27000 + TTL. The Titan you can buy for at least $500 under invoice so that's about $3500 off sticker. If you take the $2000 rebate that's $5500 off sticker making it around $27740 which is close to the ford. Now the Titan LE you get the spray in liner (+$500 if you buy the ford), bed extender (+$250 if you buy the ford).

Now that makes it equal in price. I spent weeks researching and made my decision on performance, sportier ride, and lesser defects. F150 guys got this problem w/ vibration of the frame which is happening to all of them.

Joekim, I didn't see that window sticker and no I also don't have the coin holder. On another titan forum (can't mention) they have the same complaint. I'm going to ask the dealer for mine.
  • dbauerdbauer Member Posts: 416
    when ford prices the f150 with a $5000 rebate, off a truck that is priced $3000 more, your transaction prices end up being the same for the same equipment. at that point, your decision as a buyer is simply to get the one you like better...how cool is THAT?!?!?!
  • titanjtitanj Member Posts: 4
    hi there,

been an owner of my Titan SE since 5/2004. Been great but I hear the sound too. Get use to it. Dealer said that's how the compressor works.

I've had other issues which are more problematic.
    PGF = paint guard film
  • mccdon1mccdon1 Member Posts: 32
    I just got home from a long road trip from Bremerton WA to Norfolk VA. I spent 3 weeks at school while there. The outbound trip included about 30 miles of 4WD through a forest service road in CO. There was a rock slide on I-70, but no detour info, so we figured out our own detour. It saved us a couple hours after we heard the official detour on the radio after we made our own. The Titan did very well off-road. I averages 15.2 MPG on the way out. I averaged 14.7 on the return trip, I encountered LOTS of wind on the return trip leg. Average speed was around 75-80 MPH, or 5 MPH over posted limits. In Norfolk, I Got closer to 16 MPG because of lower speed limits and LOTS of state troopers! I wouldn't have wanted any other truck for this trip! She needs a bath real bad!

LE CC 4X4
  • drzdrz Member Posts: 2
    I don't really have much information however if you will crawl under your Titan, you will discover that Nissan put one catalytic converter on each exhaust pipe below the manifold. So... if you take it to a decent muffler shop, they can cut away the cross over pipe and put a 2nd pipe on it. I did it....bought a factory muffler and had the muffler shop install it and make it all look original. After all, the Titan has a good grumble without being obnoxious.

DrZ
  • drzdrz Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2004 Nissan Titan King Cab SE with towing package, Power Buckets (No leather), spray in bedliner( as opposed to the entire bed package)and it had a sticker of $27.3K. I did my homework at Edmunds (cheap plug) as well as got preapproved at Nissan for the loan. I walked into the dealership having already identified an instock truck at another dealer. Showed them all my data and told them they had one chance to make me a deal. After the $2K rebate and such, I walked off the lot for $22,850. I am pleased and I left them a little profit in the deal. Great truck...great Deal. DrZ
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    This may be dumb, but I'm looking into a Titan CC and wonder how close Nissans figures are for MPG. I see a few posts for 14 and 15 mpg. Are these highway or in-town? Wife and I bought a Murano that showed 20city and 25hwy. I know these are best-case scenarios but I can't get it to break 16mpg with a tail wind and a feathered foot. She only drives 5-10 miles a day so I'm not really upset, but I drive 350-500 per day and I'm feeling that a 10-12mpg truck maybe isn't the path for me.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    Dr Z-

FYI, a crossover pipe is usually there for a good reason - A lot of hotrod publications have tested various exhaust setups and the crossover pipe type almost always makes more power for some reason.

To the guy who is concerned about MPG - That one reason I don't own a full size truck anymore. I didn't have a need for it very often and they suck gas like crazy. I see most folks get 12-16 depending on what you are doing. Towing can be even less.

DD
  • hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    If you are getting the 4x4, big tow & off road package you can expect to get 13.5 - 14.5, maybe a little more if you are lucky. A little less if you are heavy on the gas. Its a truck with lots of giddyup, so IMHO I'll gladly pay a little more at the pump because the smile is worth it. The truck also hauls the load. Have already hauled several full truck loads of green oak firewood. Definitely knew the load was on the back but still plenty of torque left. This truck is one bad boy.
  • beesampsonbeesampson Member Posts: 16
    I am real hard on the truck, It is a 4x4, big tow. I find it getting any were from 10 to 13 mpg s. Thats 4000 miles worth of gas so far
    Thanks folks for the feedback. Guess I'll have to settle for a Frontier because I'm with hogboy, I don't think I could keep my foot out of 305HP. With my present van pulling 18-20MPG, the ol' wallet may get a little lonely, missing all those green friends of his :) I'm still jealous of all you Titan owners!!!!!
  • ihatekmartihatekmart Member Posts: 1
    on dec 10th I bought the 04 kingcab LE with big tow, splash guards and floor matts for 23,500 thats 7 grand off msrp.. and free oil changes ofr life. HOW? i stood my ground and waited 5 hours for the dealer to give in on his "mistake" over the phone
    thats the ironic thing here...the frontier, even with the smaller v6, only gets a couple MPG more than the titan...i would also gladly pony up the extra gas $ to have the larger, more capable truck.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    For me, deciding between and Frontier and a Titan is a tough decision. While I realize the MPG difference is small, the Frontier gives me all the towing and hauling capability I need, and the extra size of the Titan is actually a drawback for driving and parking in the city. So basically I am leaning to the Frontier because I think it would be easier to live with, even though it is not much cheaper and it does not save a whole lot of gas.

You got to hand it to Nissan for giving us these great choices.
    My 95 V6 4X4 Nissan pickup gets about 17 MPG in combined driving. The mileage is generally the same (city or highway)because of low gearing. It drops down to dismal 12MPG when towing a 5000 lb trailer though. Plus the truck will not go very fast with a heavy trailer.

I like the compactness of the truck and since I do not tow trailers frequently, it does the job for me. I would definitely get a full size truck like Titan if I did more towing.
  • tarrington1978tarrington1978 Member Posts: 6
    So you got bit too! Just wait until you have 22,000 mile like mine. Just to list a few problems: front end noise, rattles so numerous that I cannot count, trim breaking inside & out, paint flaking off of steering wheel radio control knobs, seats breaking, and etc. Tried to trade it in and was told that the best they could do was $22,000 on a $31,000 truck that I have had only 8 months. The reason being is the word is out that the Titans and the Armada's are lemon's. I AGREE WITH BOBBY DO NOT BUY ANY PRODUCTS THAT COME FROM THE CANTAN, MISSISSIPPI PLANT!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope you bought a Frontier because I own a 2004 Titan CC LE and it's been in the shop going on 21 times in since I bought it new in April '04. Front end problems, trim breaking, squeaks, rattles, seats breaking, tranmission problems, and I can go on and on! Stick with the Frontier '05 with the new 4.0 L V-6. The old body style engine is underpowered and get bad MPG. Tommy
    I have a Lemon titan and was wondering if I was the only one. I have contacted the BBB and began a lemon law complaint against Nissan North America for building such a hunk of junk. Seats breaking, seat belts not working properly or not at all, trim breaking, rattles, squeaks, paint chipping off steering wheel radio controls, front end problems, & etc. I tried to trade it today and was told that the best they could do was $22,000 for a $31,000 truck that is 8 months old. The salesman (who is a good friend) told me that the word is out that some production months produced a lower quality truck and mine fell into that time period. Someone please respond with any help!!

tarrington1978

Tallahassee, FL
    Sadly I agree! My Nissan Titan (built in Cantan, MS) has been in the shop going on 21 times. Very sloppy workmanship on their part!
    I feel your pain! I have a '04 LE 2X4 and has been in the shop going on 21 times. I also have the window problems and the front end problems. What did the dealership tell you about the front end problem? Mine told me that they "could not duplicate the problem" and dismissed it. You will also be disapointed when you get tired of fixing it and want to trade. A Chevy salesman friend of mine quoated $22,000 for a truck that was bought new in April for $31,000. He said in private that the word was out among dealers that the Titan's are going to be Lemon's therefore the low trade-in value! Sorry!!!
  • ilikebigtrucksilikebigtrucks Member Posts: 1
    HELL YES...my man is goin to buy himself a Titan today. And I have to admit as much as I really pushed him for the Ram...the Titan is highly appealing outside as well as in. The roomy backseat, bench seat with optional console, optional manual driving (he's parting with a BMW 330 here...he needs to be broken in gently), all that extra sun visor stuff...blah blah...oh yeah and it has some "giddy up". AND FOR ALL THOSE TAILGATE MOLDING HATERS....you gotta REEALLY be looking for something to hate to have noticed that. Go pick on the hideous Avalanche.
    ok...once is enough, man.

also, a CHEVY SALESMAN said $22k? first, salesmen do not buy vehicles, dealers do...ask his manager. also, ask the other 100k titan owners how many are disappointed. very few.

lastly, before you want to be taken seriously here, learn to spell the name of the vehicle you are bashing before you do it...goes to credibility.
    Once is enough, we got what you had to say the FIRST time!!! I also own a Titan and while its not perfect, its a fairly good truck. Every car maker has problems, check out Chevy and the piston slap or Ford and the powerstroke problems, or Dodge and the transmission problems. Think its just a Nissan thing?? Try again!!!
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    Please remind Tarrington about YOUR 1st. Titan that was problematic and they bought back.

I am sure you could share how many times yours was in the shop for repairs again and again....
    An opinion from someone looking to buy. I drove both the Frontier SE CC and Titan SE CC today and dbauer is right. The BIGBOY gets 14/19 and its little brother gets 15/20. Salesman said those were pretty correct numbers. Nissan tweaked the 4.0 for all its worth to get performance numbers up and that taxed the efficiency. Also, look at the stickers. Similar SE models were only $3,500 apart Titan to Frontier. Salesman said Nissan targets the Tacoma buyer who doesn't want the big truck (Tundra, Titan). Here's the killer. The build quality between the two was astounding. The Titan seemed a little loose, but when I drove the Frontier, it was tight as a drum. The Titans dash squeaked and there was a hum under the dash when the heat was on (not the fan). Is there a build quality difference because Nissan is trying to capture the full size pie and turning out Titans faster than they should? I guess I'm just bummed out because it seemed there was a distinct difference between the 2. It could have just been that truck and I'm not getting into the Bash the Titan group, I was just amazed at how much nicer the Frontier seemed. Just my 2cents.
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    Built in the same plant?
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I think the Frontiers are coming out of Tennessee.
    frontier is out of smyrna, titan out of canton.
    I guess there are going to be problems with any manufacturer. I seem to be a little harder on Nissan due to the experience with my Wifes Murano. It seems the more we drive it the better it gets. I know you love what you love and maybe that's why I was so let down after driving the Titan. I have wanted one since they arrived.I guess you just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best.
    Sure it was problematic and yeah it was in the shop a LOT. Its gone and the new one is so far fairly good.
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    I have had my kc 4x2 se model for a month. Paid 25k otd ($200 under invoice) msrp 28.4K thought is was a pretty good deal....

Currently has 1500 miles. Truck seems a whole lot bigger than my 98f150. Great looks, the new f150 didn't do anything for me. Plus I like to drive something that not everyone and their mother has. I live in Louisville. (Ford Country)..

A lot of power available, gas mileage respectable avg around 14mpg. Love the functionality of the back doors. Have some concern about the quality of the interior materials but I knew that before I purchased. No problems so far, hopefully mine was built after the bugs were worked out. A big step up from what I have been driving. (7yr old truck). will update in a couple of months...
    akangl, you said the first one was a bad seed but this one is so far fairly good. I hope that was just a unlucky truck. Like I said earlier, every manufacturer has problems. My neighbor laughed himself stupid when I bought my GMC cargo van. It was exactly what I needed and all I could afford at the time. He bought the almighty Honda Pilot and after several times in the shop for various (major) problems, he traded the Pilot on a YukonXL. Here we are 1 year later, I'm scared to buy a Titan and he's singing the praises of his GMC. Now, I'll do a 180 and buy a Sierra and the transmission will fall out on I-85 1 month after I own it! :) Maybe I'll just keep my crappy van.
    I think the later build date trucks are better. My first one was built January 6, 2004 (hubby's bday, maybe bad luck?? LOL), my second one was built August 24, 2004 (day before my bday) and its been a much better truck.

The quality difference was staggering, was like going from a Yugo to a BMW, no rattles or anything, just a solid truck. Its had 2 problems, both addressed in TSBs so easy fixes, other than that its been great. I wouldn't be afraid of a Titan, just know that they can be quirky and enjoy the truck.
  • texas_ford_guytexas_ford_guy Member Posts: 36
    now......if it only had any resale value whatsoever.....i just paid $22000 for a loaded crew cab with 7000 miles on it. good job nissan!

:)